Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: The Funeral

• Start Topic

However, as someone mentioned above, it's a little annoying how much focus everyone's energy and efforts have been on them.  It should have started and ended with Boyle.  I didn't necessarily find it funny but it did make sense in terms of his character and his relationship to Jake.  But having the new captain die because he caught them?  Pushing it for me.  Then this week the Vulture wants Jake to break up with Amy or get demoted? That went way too far.  And having Holt save Jake's behind so he can date Amy just made me feel icky.

The Vulture wasn't trying to break them up for no reason, though. He was paying them back for plotting to get rid of him, and because Jake was trying to buddy up to him to do it. The Vulture is a dick, but in the cold open he didn't seem to give a damn about the fact they were dating, just tossed off "frick and frack here killed Captain Dozerman" then went to watch his horse race.

It was a tropey obstacle, but the writers played with it by having the characters bring it on themselves, then resolved it within the episode, without dragging it out and making a huge drama out of it. They've done that with each tropey obstacle, and it feels very pointed and deliberate to me. Each dumb plot that writers have used before to derail 'will they, won't they' couples for entire seasons, these writers have thrown out and disposed of in a matter of minutes.

I don't think everyone's efforts have been on them, either. Gina, Rosa and Terry haven't been involved with them, and that's nearly half of the regular cast. Charles has been a cheerleader but was wrapped up in his own drama in this episode. Holt fixed things with the Vulture because he cares about his squad, and wants to do what he can for them, even while stuck in his own crappy situation. If he could get Terry's mango yoghurt back into production through skilful application of NYPD PR, then I'm sure he would.

It seems rather obtuse to me, that there are now complaints about Jake and Amy having storylines together when they've had plenty of storylines together in the first two seasons. What, because they're now dating they shouldn't interact on the show? That seems... weird. Last season, this same plotline could be about their partnership being broken up, or even something more absurd like the Vulture threatening to get rid of the coffee machine because he's into protein shakes and smoothies.

• Love 8

The Vulture wasn't trying to break them up for no reason, though. He was paying them back for plotting to get rid of him, and because Jake was trying to buddy up to him to do it. The Vulture is a dick, but in the cold open he didn't seem to give a damn about the fact they were dating, just tossed off "frick and frack here killed Captain Dozerman" then went to watch his horse race.

It seems rather obtuse to me, that there are now complaints about Jake and Amy having storylines together when they've had plenty of storylines together in the first two seasons.

I know why the vulture wanted them separated and I don't dispute the character's logic. Or even Dozerman's logic.  In fact, it's a pretty logical position to take as a superior.  And my problem isn't that Jake and Amy are having stories together. (Although, I must be oblivious because I don't recall anyone making the argument that they shouldn't have stories together.) 

I just take issue with the fact that the A story in the first two episodes was more or less the same story for Jake and Amy.  And it was the least interesting or funny angle they could have taken, IMO. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I have to come back to note that they remembered that Jake is a very good detective. He was able to finagle into the front rows  by observation and remembering past experiences. That's worthy of a long line of classic and TV detectives.

Oh, and Squelch Box Flashback, how I've missed you.

• Love 1

I've watched the episode twice now, and the only time I laughed either time was at Terry's drunk dance to "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves." And Andre Braugher's "simpleton" line got a snerk. The Vulture does nothing for me. I'm trusting the show runners will course correct soon and get everyone back in the same room. Remember when the squad solved cases? Yeah, more of that, please. The dating dramatics of Jake and Amy, both of whom I like, should be the C plot.

• Love 3

They completely wasted Archie Panjabi. I don't know why, but for some reason I was under the impression that she signed up for a multi-episode arc. My mistake... 

I feel like this show doesn't really know what to do with its guest starts. I mean, aside from Eva Longoria.

The Amy/Jake thing makes me nervous for all the usual reasons, but I'm not sure why some people are being so negative. We're only two episodes into the season. Give it some time.

And I'm not really getting why people expect this show to be 100% realistic when it has never cared about following real life logic.

• Love 3

Geez I hate Jake and Amy. Send Amy away--too late to unring the bell. Send Holt's nemesis away too. Soooo tiresomely repetitive. And why is Holt's kicked-upstairs PR storyline even on this show that's supposed to be about a neighborhood precinct?

Two captains in two episodes. Ugh. So much talent and comic geniuses in the cast the first two seasons, and now we have the dilution that more famous people will cause to the original cast's time on screen and story lines.

Come on, Show, quit it!!!!!

• Love 1

I'm in the same, apparently tiny, boat you and Mark are. The chemistry feels off all over the place and I'm not laughing nearly as much as I used to. I'll stick around for a while, because when this show gets it right it's brilliant. But please, bring Holt back, downplay the romance and get back to it being a stellar ensemble comedy.

I'm sad to say that I am boarding this tiny boat with you.  Don't worry-I brought my own life preserver. 

I'm definitely not giving up on it and let's be real - it's STILL a better show than 85% of the "comedies" on network TV.  But these first 2 episodes just haven't been doing it for me the way that the last 2 seasons have.  Something feels "off."  Maybe it is because Captain Holt is gone??  Hopefully they will bring him back to the 99 soon and order shall be restored!

I hate the Vulture. His lack of ethics or anything resembling professionalism was funny the first time; by now it's gotten old, and it seems unrealistic that someone so completely without people skills would be offered his own precinct. By this point, I'm getting tired of Wuntsch, too, though Braugher and Sedgwick play off each other brilliantly. (Dean Winters was used so much better in Battle Creek -- I still miss that show!)

I don't think the Jake-Amy relationship is nearly as worrisome as everyone else seems to -- maybe it's because I'm so far behind that I'm not living the experience of watching the show in real time? If the show is getting off its track, Jake and Amy are not the primary reason.

It must be said -- One-Drink Terry busting out "Sisters Are Doing For Themselves" was the hardest I've laughed at this show in a long time.

• Love 1