Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: America

Whenever I hear "olive" used to describe someone's skin color, I automatically wonder how a green person is running around without drawing attention.  I know it means something else, I just always associate that. 

No, you got it right the first time...kinda anyway. Olive refers to the skin's undertone. People with olive skin have a greenish undertone as opposed to the red or yellow undertones that are found in the majority of the population. People of any ethnicity can have olive skin, no matter how light or dark they are. I'm a little darker than Beyonce, but very olive in tone. 

The term is often used to described people who are tan or look like they are from the Mediterranean. I guess it started because people from that region are more commonly olive skinned, but that's not the real meaning. 

Man, this second episode wasn't all that great.  I've tended to stay away from the Shonda stuff and if this is a poor copycat, I'm not sure how long I want to stay.  Giving it at least one more week.

As a few of you have noted, the mystery of "who is the terrorist" isn't than compelling.  I mean, it should be, but I don't know how much I care.  Also, thank goodness for y'all b/c I couldn't remember Natalie from the last episode at all.  I wondered if she was so not memorable.

As someone of East Indian descent, I've followed Priyanka's career and seen quite a few of her films (and am watching to support a South Asian lead), and while she's an "okay" actress who is incredibly beautiful, she isn't the strongest actress. I like her fine in the flashbacks b/c it isn't heavy lifting.  But, her emotional affect in the present scenes are lacking.  

Her hair is incredible though; homegirl needs to get her a Loreal commercial. 

• Love 2
Agent Cougartown, worst manhunter ever.  Alex was so close she could have beaned him with her walkie, and she slips away despite the huge crowd of agents looking for her.

I enjoyed that when they heard Alex was nearby at the bistro, literally every single agent immediately abandoned the crime scene they were investigating to go after her, conveniently leaving Alex time to get a few things unimpeded.  I just wanted to scream at them: "You've just left what you think is a crime scene totally unsecured!"   

• Love 1

I enjoyed that when they heard Alex was nearby at the bistro, literally every single agent immediately abandoned the crime scene they were investigating to go after her, conveniently leaving Alex time to get a few things unimpeded.  I just wanted to scream at them: "You've just left what you think is a crime scene totally unsecured!"

No wonder she'll be able to outrun them for most of the season, I suspect, if they're this incompetent.

• Love 2

So maybe Alex's hair is the ultimate camouflage, in that people are so mesmerized by its luxuriousness that they fail to get a  good look at her? I loved the idea that she never noticed a pathway through her medicine cabinet! I am bleary-eyed in the mornings, too.

I thought Shelby was the likely culprit last week, and this week did everything to convince me I am right. It's likely that the nemesis will be female if our heroine is as well, and whoever she is in contact with will be taken down by Booth, in order to seal their love for each other.

Everyone else is a red herring and/or a set-up for ongoing seasons. The two agents introduced this episode have specific purposes. Natalie provides a romantic and professional rival. She should not be the perpetrator if the show is going to be fair, and narrow the suspects to the recruits from the first episode.

Elias is there as a test for Simon. I think including him allows the show to have another "gay" character if it turns out that Simon is faking. The thing is, like I said last week, he may be actually gay and in a relationship with someone who is the actual secret, which is why he has a photo depicting him and some random guy as the usual "boyfriend" photo. Or not. He's gone overboard with the twins in a way that makes it seem that he could be interested in heterosexual way, and that goes against the whole point of playing gay as a cover in order to make at least the females feel at ease around him. And the trip to Gaza and the focus only on the twins and not the rest of the class points to him specifically targeting them, or her, depending upon whether he's figured out that they are a "them" yet.

I must have missed something with Caleb. I didn't get the impression last episode that he was kicked out for interrogating the Mormon guy. So I was surprised when he seemed to have been replaced by Natalie, and then moreso when  he showed up as an analyst-in-training. he was too much of a asshole last episode for me to make him a suspect, and now this ep he has issues of inadequacy and a false Facebook profile? (How the FBI missed that is concerning.) I wonder if he and Simon can share eyeglasses? I think his hidden i.d. will be benign, but that Shelby, who seems more in his orbit storywise, will set him up at some point the way she ultimately does Alex.

Back to Alex. I don't think Cougartown is in love with her that way. I think he's her real father.

I really wanted to like this show, but it's been a struggle. The concept of watching new FBI recruits is a fun idea, but I feel like I'm watching a high schooler's fantasy vision of what they think the FBI is like. Would male and female recruits actually share bathrooms? Why must I be subjected to a cheesy pop song every 5 minutes? Does every single soapy ABC drama mandate that their shows have to play the latest Sara Bareilles song or they'll be cacelled?

I honestly can not figure out why Booth felt it was needed to claim Alex was the one who shot him, in order for her to find the true terrorist. Why not just tell the actual truth and say you didn't see it, and aren't sure?

It's so illogical that I can't even begin coming up with possible ways that it could potentially help Alex.

The only character I'm interested in right now is Simon. I guess I'll stick around to see what his background is, and then I'll ditch.

• Love 1

Back to Alex. I don't think Cougartown is in love with her that way. I think he's her real father.

I cannot imagine Josh Hopkins being onboard with the idea that Agent Dime Eyes is old enough to be Alex's father. Admittedly Priyanka looks young enough to be his kid, but her character would have to be at least in her late twenties and I don't see him willingly playing a character older than his actual age.

Edited by Bruinsfan

I cannot imagine Josh Hopkins being onboard with the idea that Agent Dime Eyes is old enough to be Alex's father. Admittedly Priyanka looks young enough to be his kid, but her character would have to be at least in her late twenties and I don't see him willingly playing a character older than his actual age.

Happens all the time, though. Usually to actresses, especially if their progeny is SORASED. Maybe it's just from watching too many soap operas, but he was investigating her using Agent Booth before she even arrived, AND if he turns out to be her actual biological father, Alex doesn't have the "burden" of having killed her Dad (not that she wasn't justified).

Again, the woman lead is running, fighting, climbing, jumping and leaping tall buildings while wearing three-inch heels. WTH? Do field agent women always wear heels? What happened to "sensible" shoes for doing an athletic job?

Or are the shoes so the 5 ft. 6 in. actress appears to be the 5 ft. 9 in. character Alex?

• Love 1

I must have missed something with Caleb. I didn't get the impression last episode that he was kicked out for interrogating the Mormon guy. So I was surprised when he seemed to have been replaced by Natalie, and then moreso when  he showed up as an analyst-in-training. he was too much of a asshole last episode for me to make him a suspect, and now this ep he has issues of inadequacy and a false Facebook profile? (How the FBI missed that is concerning.) I wonder if he and Simon can share eyeglasses? I think his hidden i.d. will be benign, but that Shelby, who seems more in his orbit storywise, will set him up at some point the way she ultimately does Alex.

In the pilot, it seemed like he'd just been asked to leave because he wasn't keeping up with the rest of the class.  They said something about not everyone at orientation would last, and they showed him struggling.  Maybe the Mormon guy added to that, but I didn't think it was the only factor.  

• Love 2

On the contrary, my interpretation of the the pilot was that he was pulled out primarily because of what happened with Mormon Eric.  He goaded Eric and pushed him too far, and as a result, a recruit died.  The next scene we see Taylor Swift walking into the empty Eric/Caleb room and saying "Caleb's gone".  The connection to me was a direct correlation to the Eric incident.   Yes, he was physically struggling anyways, but I think most of what led to his departure was Eric.  He was the son of two agents, and If he was so physically inept (and again, the towel scene seems to discredit that) and was still accepted, his physical fitness performance doesn't seem like it would have kept him out.

I have to question where this Natalie came from.  I don't believe we saw her at all in the pilot, and now all of a sudden she's like the co-lead female recruit.  Again, I'm annoyed because they must have said "Hmmmm.  We have an Indian female, a Middle Eastern female, and a black female.  We have all white male recruits.  What are we lacking?  Aha, that's it!  What this cast is missing is.... a Hispanic female!"

• Love 1

On the contrary, my interpretation of the the pilot was that he was pulled out primarily because of what happened with Mormon Eric.  He goaded Eric and pushed him too far, and as a result, a recruit died.  The next scene we see Taylor Swift walking into the empty Eric/Caleb room and saying "Caleb's gone".  The connection to me was a direct correlation to the Eric incident.   Yes, he was physically struggling anyways, but I think most of what led to his departure was Eric.  He was the son of two agents, and If he was so physically inept (and again, the towel scene seems to discredit that) and was still accepted, his physical fitness performance doesn't seem like it would have kept him out.

I have to question where this Natalie came from.  I don't believe we saw her at all in the pilot, and now all of a sudden she's like the co-lead female recruit.  Again, I'm annoyed because they must have said "Hmmmm.  We have an Indian female, a Middle Eastern female, and a black female.  We have all white male recruits.  What are we lacking?  Aha, that's it!  What this cast is missing is.... a Hispanic female!"

I wasn't considering Natalie's ethnicity, but she was necessary, as I wrote earlier, because Alex needed a female nemesis, who would act as the third part of the triangle with Booth. It couldn't be one of the twins, because the show clearly already has a plan for them , and it can't be Shelbu, IMO, because she's the bomber, and that's too far into Big Bad for "nemesis".

I wonder if it could be that the entire class is bogus, with the FBI collecting them all to keep an eye on them as possible threats?

LOL, this could be the only explanation to make any sense out of this mess.

• Love 5

I really don't know how it's done in real life but according to every cop/FBI/CIA show I've ever seen, you are supposed to 'goad' and 'push' your suspects until they tell you what you want to know. They were told to find out the 'secret' Caleb was using all the resources at his disposal (which ended up being 'only' goading since he couldn't come up with anything any other way) it was Caleb's bad luck that Eric's conscience was so strong, or so weak depending how you look at it. If Alex or Simon couldn't figure out their respective secrets, who's to say they wouldn't have tried that tactic?

As far as Natalie is concerned, we were told there were 50? recruits in the class? I'm assuming she was one of the other 50 and that other characters will be appearing that are in the class but that we haven't seen yet. I would be interesting to see a screenshot of that wall of photos to see if Natalie was up there somewhere.

• Love 1

Again, the woman lead is running, fighting, climbing, jumping and leaping tall buildings while wearing three-inch heels. WTH? Do field agent women always wear heels? What happened to "sensible" shoes for doing an athletic job?

Back in my X-Files fandom days, the running (ha! see what I did there?) joke was that Dana Scully gave advanced classes at Quantico in "Chasing Down Suspects While Wearing Heels." Clearly someone took over her seminar.

• Love 1

As far as Natalie is concerned, we were told there were 50? recruits in the class? I'm assuming she was one of the other 50 and that other characters will be appearing that are in the class but that we haven't seen yet. I would be interesting to see a screenshot of that wall of photos to see if Natalie was up there somewhere.

If they had the actress in mind, I doubt they'd include her photo on the wall but not give her lines.  It's pretty common for characters/changes to be made between the pilot and the second episode, based on network feedback and things like that. And it's believable enough that we didn't see every trainee in the first episode.  I don't find it jarring.  It's not as bad when Lost tried to introduce characters three seasons in and pretend they were there the whole time.  This was one episode.

• Love 2

Back in my X-Files fandom days, the running (ha! see what I did there?) joke was that Dana Scully gave advanced classes at Quantico in "Chasing Down Suspects While Wearing Heels." Clearly someone took over her seminar.

She would still beat all these recruits handily.

Alex isn't as perfect as the show tries to claim to be, everyone else is just too incompetent to actually do their jobs correctly.

• Love 1

I have to say Alex is becoming a little too Mary Sue-ish with the whole being right and coming out on top against all the recruits.

And for sure Chopra is beautiful, but I have to say, I'm finding her lacking in the acting department. I like her in the Academy scenes, but I don't find her believable at all in the more emotional on the run scenes.

Thank you, to both of you! The actress is probably one of the most beautiful human being I've ever seen (and I'm saying it as a straight female) but I'm sorry, I don't think she can act, which is a huge problem considering she's the lead. Plus, the character is 100% Mary Sue-ish (she's stunningly beautiful, brilliant, basically a genius, too good in her job, men fall in love with her instantly, no flaws whatsoever so far...) and I simply can't stand Mary Sue characters.

But a weak main character is not my only problem. I guess my main problem is the cheesiness of it all.

I usually like flashback/flashforward storytelling, when properly done. I can suspend my disbelief at the whole cast being from a model agency and I want to believe that the FBI actually knows many of these "secrets" (at least that was my impression when, in the pilot, Caleb was investigating the guy who killed himself and the other recruits keep telling him to not worry, because FBI already knew everything about their past). In fact, I am sure that we will soon find out that characters are not all shady, we've just been given the impression that they have lots of secrets the Bureau is not aware of in order to keep going the whodunit formula, and that they will all turn out to be no big deals, after all. Probably Shelby only had an arabic friend and asked him/her to not call her because she's busy, Simon is definitvely not gay and... who knows, maybe thought that being openly gay (apparently, the first one) would increase his chances to get in, and so on. BS like these.

But so far the show is sooo cheesy, I'd say so improvised, that I already know it will be disappointing, because it already is. It looks like it's wasting some good potential.

I'm going to give this show the benefit of a third episode, but if it's anything like this one, I think I'm out.

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 2

really wanted to like this show, but it's been a struggle. The concept of watching new FBI recruits is a fun idea, but I feel like I'm watching a high schooler's fantasy vision of what they think the FBI is like. Would male and female recruits actually share bathrooms?

I am a Federal Agent.  I went to the other academy everyone else trains at (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center).  I can tell you that-1. males and females don't share bathrooms, 2- there's no written rule about sexing your classmate (maybe an unspoken one), and 3- that everything about this show is BS.  I tend not to watch procedural shows because they drive me up the wall with their inaccuracies, but this one is entertaining, in a "I can't believe they think this is how the FBI operates" way.  

• Love 9

I am a Federal Agent.  I went to the other academy everyone else trains at (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center).  I can tell you that-1. males and females don't share bathrooms, 2- there's no written rule about sexing your classmate (maybe an unspoken one), and 3- that everything about this show is BS.  I tend not to watch procedural shows because they drive me up the wall with their inaccuracies, but this one is entertaining, in a "I can't believe they think this is how the FBI operates" way.

I have a whole response to this but it would be way off-topic so I'm gonna roll it over to the Small Talk thread.

Weird! IMDB has her listed as Nimah Amin, so yet ANOTHER weird combo of the three names - I guess perhaps Amin is their last name

And 'Amin' is 'Nima(h)' backwards!

Or just get CTU to set up one of their sieve-like cordons around a crucial area; that pretty much guarantees a clean getaway.

I believe the term they used was 'perimeter.' Every time I heard that word, I knew there'd be an escape.

• Love 1

I am trying to like this show, but it's tough.  You have to watch every second of it to even attempt to have a clue what is going on.   The constant time jumps are driving me nuts.  Couldn't we have just showed the explosion, and then just have started back at the beginning and stayed there until we naturally got back to the explosion time frame?  I find this to be a How I got Away with Murder clone joined with any college dorm drama that you can think of.  I gave up on HIGAWM after 3 episodes, between the time jump and the stupidity of it.

Or are the shoes so the 5 ft. 6 in. actress appears to be the 5 ft. 9 in. character Alex?

Yeh, kung fu fighting on the roof in high heels-uh huh

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 2

I have to question where this Natalie came from. I don't believe we saw her at all in the pilot, and now all of a sudden she's like the co-lead female recruit. Again, I'm annoyed because they must have said "Hmmmm. We have an Indian female, a Middle Eastern female, and a black female. We have all white male recruits. What are we lacking? Aha, that's it! What this cast is missing is.... a Hispanic female!"

Heh, that made me laugh, especially since they also added another white male into the mix this episode.

It's so illogical that I can't even begin coming up with possible ways that it could potentially help Alex.

The only thing I could think is that they don't want to tip off the real terrorist that they are on to their plan.  However, it seems like it would be pretty difficult for Alex to investigate anything with the entirety of the country thinking she blew up Grand Central Station. 

Yes, he was physically struggling anyways, but I think most of what led to his departure was Eric.  He was the son of two agents, and If he was so physically inept (and again, the towel scene seems to discredit that) and was still accepted, his physical fitness performance doesn't seem like it would have kept him out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure goading Eric into shooting the tester and then himself was what got him removed.  He can improve his physical performance, but from what we saw, Caleb was too immature to be in the program, and had the entirely wrong mindset to be an agent. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

The only thing I could think is that they don't want to tip off the real terrorist that they are on to their plan.  However, it seems like it would be pretty difficult for Alex to investigate anything with the entirety of the country thinking she blew up Grand Central Station.

He could have just said he hadn't seen who shot him. That way nothing would have changed for Alex - she'd still be the suspect - and it would have been way less *ahem* awkward to recant later. Besides, since the terrorist is an insider, s/he will find out that he lied, so how is that not tipping him/her off? The whole thing is so stupid that he'd better be on it, i.e. wanting Alex to be the suspect, because that would actually make sense of what happened. Bonus: Alex is too dumb... I mean "blinded by lurrrve" to realize it. I will keep hoping for this reveal until the very last moment.

Edited by Crim
What are we lacking?  Aha, that's it!  What this cast is missing is.... a Hispanic female!"

That and a coherent plot line.

I am a Federal Agent.

That's okay.  I'm a firefighter and that's precisely why I watch Chicago Fire.  For the sheer enjoyment of incredulity.

• Love 2
I tend not to watch procedural shows because they drive me up the wall with their inaccuracies, but this one is entertaining,

Anything strike you as particularly preposterous or is it all just nonsense?  Did you guys really spend so much time trying to show up other candidates or did you waste all your time, you know, learning stuff?

• Love 1

OK, now that I’ve finished I say the mysteries are getting better, I grant you.  Bet it was the twin who doesn’t like Simon, who chipped in to save him from the presumptive gay analyst. 

So, Booth is married, huh?  “Back to your family…”  and Alex and Vanessa (? either way, the one who for some random reason appears to have a fake implant scar in the back of her ear) both lust after him, while Dougray Scott has inappropriate unrequited feelings for Alex.  (Clearly Booth is not married happily, though, because nobody would volunteer for this clear instance of what “Alias” calls, “valentine duty”, not knowing what would happen).  My money on this instance, goes on either “some reason he really doesn’t like the wife” (which seems unlikely because he had to come up with that lie about being ‘reluctant’ to take off his wedding band post divorce), or “he knows something about this deal with Alex’s father, and needs to solve it/holds a grudge about it, to the point where it is trumping fears of the eventuality he'll be adultering with Alex" (wonder what the wife thinks of that? perhaps she is undercover in Quantico).

Caleb is really Mark, and obsessed with Catcher in the Rye… Interesting.  Or, maybe HE’s a twin??

Also, that was the stem of Simon’s glasses Alex picked up off the floor of her second apartment (lol), no?  Thought we were supposed to be getting the idea in one of the class segments that Simon has/uses them with spy-cam tech, anyone else can confirm or deny?

Edited by queenanne

I can't see that, either. He SCREAMS "Former Frat Boy Who Still Thinks He's A Young Stud" for whatever reason to me.

And it looks like Peroxide I isn't really "Caleb Haas" after all. I'm sure we'll find out next week that Peroxide II is actually a middle-aged Chinese woman named Cheepak. (Or an undercover detective from Central City.)

I actually think they're both naturally blond. The nickname is funny though.

Is there anybody on this show who is who they say they are? Sheesh.

It makes no sense to finger Alex as the shooter unless Ryan is one of the conspirators. But the problem with that is that he got shot. And is still onboard with the plot after that? What? 

Still, my prime suspecs at the moment are him and Liam, because those two were in a perfect position to pull off the frame job, and also, a plan to cause a terrorist incident and then "solve" it by blaiming hapless recruits,  makes a lot more sense than a terrorist deliberately putting themselves through a background check and months of living with law enforcement just to gain slightly easier access to a train station. I mean, for real? 

The terrorist is not one of the recruits because that narrative just makes not a single grain of sense. It stretches credibility that people are even supposed to buy it. 

There is also the fact that if you listen to their lines this episode while considering them suspects, an awful lot of their dialogue suddenly becomes massively anvilicious.

Liam: "You always see the best in people and it blinds you to who they really are" 

Ryan: "Trust noone"..

I mean, really? This is not subtle.

Also, in amusing theories I want on record now: 

The Arab person the southern belle was talking to on the phone? Is her girlfriend. Who she is keeping a secret due to the fact that saudi arabia has the deathpenalty for homosexuality. This will be revealed around the same time the show reveals what ever is going on with Simon. 

Of course it is possible I am overestimating the writers. I've been known to do that. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 1
Back in my X-Files fandom days, the running (ha! see what I did there?) joke was that Dana Scully gave advanced classes at Quantico in "Chasing Down Suspects While Wearing Heels."

Laura Holt on Remington Steele had a great semi-meta moment in one of her chase scenes. She's running around a school, and one of her chase companions (played by a young Geena Davis!) asks her how she can run around in those shoes. She replies, "Same way you get that killer serve: practice." It's probably no coincidence that Stephanie Zimbalist co-wrote that episode. (She also remarks in one of the commentaries that her feet are now a mess.)

• Love 1

As someone of East Indian descent, I've followed Priyanka's career and seen quite a few of her films (and am watching to support a South Asian lead), and while she's an "okay" actress who is incredibly beautiful, she isn't the strongest actress. I like her fine in the flashbacks b/c it isn't heavy lifting.  But, her emotional affect in the present scenes are lacking.  

Her hair is incredible though; homegirl needs to get her a Loreal commercial. 

Eh, her hair isn't that special for a Bollywood heroine, and I think she's doing a serviceable job acting, but I can't help wishing this could have happened during Sridevi or Kajol's heyday. She is better than most of the current crop though. Maybe Vidya Balan could have done a better job, but Chopra's not too bad IMO. 

No wonder she'll be able to outrun them for most of the season, I suspect, if they're this incompetent.

This. 

I think the only reason they came up with this is to allow it to be ambiguous about whether Ryan is really on Alex's side or not. Otherwise, it makes no sense. 

Heh - and I had the opposite reaction when I saw the shoes. I thought they were quite low block heeled - and remember approving of how sensible they were. 

• Love 2

This makes zero sense to me.  Why didn't he just say he didn't see who shot him, which would be the truth, instead of confirming it was Alex so that they put out an APB on her?  That's no way to give her more time and space.

Yeah, that didn't make any sense if Booth is actually on Alex's side. So my interpretation is that he's NOT on her side. He implied to her he would pretend to think she was guilty but not actually directly implicate her, e.g. by telling them "I didn't see who did it but it was probably Alex", but then he turned around and told them it was DEFINITELY her. So I think he's not actually trying to help her. Otherwise he's an idiot. But I'm behind in watching so maybe this has already been resolved. 

Maybe it's just me, but if someone shot me I'd probably tell investigators the truth in the hope that they'd actually catch whoever tried to kill me, rather than misidentifying the shooter as part of some Byzantine plot. But I guess I'm petty that way, taking murder attempts personally.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 5

As an Indian, I find that condescending and offensive. 

I doubt a major network would take out ads all over the place in USA if they wanted to make a show primarily for Indians.

I'm Canadian, and I found it offensive!

They're throwing in way too much too quickly and it's all just nonsense soup. But I'm still in, because everyone is stupidly pretty and I enjoy watching people bumble around in their own plot contrivances.

I loved this summary.  I have to echo all those who find themselves stupidly enjoying this show.  Nothing about it is bothering me - they've sucessfully made it so absurd that I feel I have the freedom to roll with anything that happens.

I like Simon and Booth best.  I agree the lead's not a great actress, but I've seen far, far worse on other shows.  (Blacklist, anyone?)  On this show, all the acting is passably mediocre, so hers is not all that noticeable.  Nimah potentially has more charisma, though.

It seems like a lot of the recruiters are just in it for the free, insanely well-fitting henley.

I would love an excuse to wear a henley like that every day.