Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: America

If this show is heading in the Alex is always right direction with everyone else being stupid, I am not sure I will be able to watch. She cannot be right every time. There was to be a mix, she has to be wrong with others being right. It gets old fast and I was sort of there tonight.

Yes, I am not a fan of the going backwards through time storytelling. I gave it a shot, but I'm out.

• Love 1

Alex is on the run and must outsmart Liam and his team.

And writers try to outsmart viewers, but in a meta-way they are stupid stupid just as their characters. The pilot was bad but funny, but this week it was so bad  it was painful to watch. But then one must think that it is made for Indian market and comes from a man who destroyed the Gossip Girl and the Smash.      

Edited by skotnikov

When the woman instructor said to Liam "When you see her, do you see the woman you loved or the traitor who rejected you?" it made me think that Liam had been involved with Alex's mother.

This makes the most sense to me. Maybe Liam and her father were partners or best friends in the agency and Liam ended up falling for his partner's wife. Cliché, but whatever. Then, everyone finds out she's a traitor (or whatever her terrible secret is), Liam's partner (Alex's father) is killed and now Liam is looking for revenge - or, at the very least, answers.

• Love 1

And writers try to outsmart viewers, but in a meta-way they are stupid stupid just as their characters. The pilot was bad but funny, but this week it was so bad  it was painful to watch. But then one must think that it is made for Indian market and comes from a man who destroyed the Gossip Girl and the Smash.      

And I'm not sure if I should be offended by this. That because one is Indian, one likes bad and painful shows, and therefore, since this show is bad and painful, it's made for us or that we're the coveted demographic?

• Love 8

Thought it was funny when Rick Cosnett's character looked like he was going to sit next to Simon, but then he turned away.  Simon's face was like What??  I never realized Rick Cosnett is Australian, but I could hear his accent slipping out in this episode.  Still think he's adorable, even if he seems to be trying a bit too hard with Simon.

Yeah, I am not fond of Elias making a beeline for Simon the instant he recognized him as the famous First Openly Gay recruit. I've never felt the slightest impulse to hit on gay co-workers just because we share the same orientation, and I'm not (1) an employee of an organization with anti-fraternization rules, or (2) hot enough that I could go to any Washington area gay bar and walk out with whoever I want. It smacks of laziness and heterosexual privilege to have the second gay character on the show immediately try to couple up with the (allegedly) first by default.

That said, I don't believe I've ever met a gay or bisexual man who would reflexively flinch away from being casually touched by someone who looks like Rick Cosnett. Hell, my one friend who's in that ballpark of attractiveness can get straight waiters and doormen to stumble over themselves like they have schoolboy crushes just by smiling.

• Love 4

And I'm not sure if I should be offended by this. That because one is Indian, one likes bad and painful shows, and therefore, since this show is bad and painful, it's made for us or that we're the coveted demographic?

I assume we all should be offended by the writers of this show who think that viewers are bunch of idiots who'd swallow every ridiculous nonsense they' ll come out with.   

I'm wondering if Elias has some sort of agenda.  He was a bit too focused on Simon, a bit too nosy, a bit too curious.  I started to wonder if maybe he was really an undercover agent as well, and he was assigned to watch Simon.  Whatever is going on, they need to tone down Elias's aggressiveness because it's making it appear as though he's super shady.  But maybe that's the point?  I don't know.  So confused.

I'm not sure if Simon is pretending to be gay because when the analysts walked into the classroom, he seemed very happy about the fact that Elias was going to sit next to him.  To me, it came off as Hey, this cute guy is going to sit next to me.  Yeah!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

Does anyone remember a show ABC had a while back called "Traveler"? It starred Matt Bomer before he was well-known, Logan Marshall-Green, and Aaron Stanford and was about two friends who were framed by the third for a terrorist bombing. The present-day stuff reminds me a lot of that.

I'm enjoying this so far.

Yeah... this is a show made for the American market that happens to have an Indian actress as the lead.

As an aside, I believe she's had a holding deal with ABC for at least a year.  But let's be honest, TV shows and networks know that to see a huge investment in their return, they are going to sell this show internationally.  With at least 11M followers on Twitter, they know that with her as the lead they can sell this to the Asian markets.  However I think most international markets prefer to have procedural dramas (which is why NCIS is the top show internationally) and this is pretty serialized so it will be interesting to see how well it does outside of North America. 

Back to the show: I am liking it for what it is, but there are 2 things that are going to bug as other people said: she's a bit too smart for her own good and the constant back and forth is going to get old really fast if it doesn't settle down.  I'm just here to look at how they hide all the French signs in the show but fail to conceal the parking meters that snuck in. 

• Love 1

I find it hard to believe that this group of recruits were even allowed inside the gates of Quantico, much less train to be agents. All kinds of shady going down with everyone. I am also not a fan of the flipping back and forth to training and present day. It is an OK plot device when done right, but when it's not, like this show, it's just a convoluted mess.

• Love 4
Yeah, I am not fond of Elias making a beeline for Simon the instant he recognized him as the famous First Openly Gay recruit.

Weirdest thing may have been Simon's perfectly good reason for rejecting the attention, that he was hoping to be taken seriously as an agent, not as 'that gay guy'.  Odd that the writers put these words in the mouth of the character who they've invested so much in being THAT GAY GUY.  Fake gay guy, but still.  

In general terms, I'm really amused that the lack of professionalism with this FBI, they act like it's some writer's version of high school.  Which is again ironic as one of the characters said this week 'this isn't high school'.  Sometimes people like / don't like you, you know what you do about it?  Your fucking job

• Love 4

I honestly can not figure out why Booth felt it was needed to claim Alex was the one who shot him, in order for her to find the true terrorist.  Why not just tell the actual truth and say you didn't see it, and aren't sure?  By doing this, she's now going to be all over the media and news, and make hiding even harder.  He sounded sincere, so I don't think he's secretly lying to her, but I just don't see the logic behind it.

Still easily prefer the Quantico stuff, over the manhunt.  The new editions are fun, even if Nathalie is the typical "antagonistic character", who makes the lead have to step up and make her even more awesome.  But since it seems like Nathalie is going to be in the manhunt, I guess she also completed training and did really well.  And what's up with he fake scar?

Have fun seeing Rick Cosnett as Elias, even if some of his reactions reminded me of poor Eddie's over on The Flash.  He's getting good at playing characters who are from the outside, looking in, and wondering why does no one want to talk with him.

Liam confirms that Alex's dad was an agent, so I guess we'll get more of that.

Still have no idea what to make of Simon.  I'm starting to thinking nothing about him is real.

The twins are part of some kind of experiment involving Miranda, but it's getting hard to pull off since one enjoys Simon's company, while the other can barely stand him.  Shelby is being shifty with whoever she's talking to on the phone.  Caleb is now back and an analyst.  So many secrets!

As an Indian, I find that condescending and offensive. 

I doubt a major network would take out ads all over the place in USA if they wanted to make a show primarily for Indians.

Edited by themadman
  • Love 10

I wanted to like this. I spent four years stationed at Quantico, and some of that around the FBI, so I wanted to see what they did with it, but ugh, it's insufferable. It could still be dramatic without being so melodramatic. The tone reminds me a lot of How to Get Away With Murder, which I also couldn't get into, despite being intrigued by the premise. So disappointing.

Oh and also, I've spent time in Gaza, too. He had other ways of getting in. He wouldn't have had to fake being Palestinian, especially with an American accent. Actually, being Palestinian would have made the whole thing harder. He would have had to go through the Rafah border in Egypt, which is sealed most of the time. Posing as almost anything else, he could get in through the Erez border from Israel. There's also the possibility that Israel wanted him in there, for some reason, and since they control all the borders, it wouldn't have been anything to enter and exit. Seeing where they go with that storyline might be the only thing that keeps me watching.

Edited by LADreamr

I assume we all should be offended by the writers of this show who think that viewers are bunch of idiots who'd swallow every ridiculous nonsense they' ll come out with.   

I promise, I'm not trying to start an argument, but my issue was with your original post where you said that the show was bad and maybe this show was intended for the Indian market, which I took to mean, that Indians would like this shitfest? But if you meant we should all be offended at the writers of the show for treating us as idiots who would buy this is how great FBI is, then maybe the Indian market comment shouldn't have been there.  

• Love 1

Does anyone remember a show ABC had a while back called "Traveler"? It starred Matt Bomer before he was well-known, Logan Marshall-Green, and Aaron Stanford and was about two friends who were framed by the third for a terrorist bombing. The present-day stuff reminds me a lot of that.

I do, well just the initial bombing part, at least.

I think Simon is on to the twins.  In one conversation he rather awkwardly inserted a comment about his home town, in a reference to an earlier conversation he had with one of them.  I think we'll see that he purposely switched the name of the town to see if they said "I thought you were from ____", but they didn't so he knows something's up.  Pure speculation here, of course. 

Booth saying it was Alex that shot him is not for her benefit.  He wants her caught.  Not sure of his role in all of this, though.  Either he knows who shot him and is covering for them, or he really doesn't know who shot him (isn't in on the bombing/conspiracy) but wants Alex in custody for some other reason and this is a good way to make it happen.

I think the better premise would have been - show season 1 with just the FBI stuff and end with the terrorist attack

and then the 2nd season should be the flash backs, with the things we missed and we/Alex figuring it out. 

right now it's too squished, and complicated and stupid. And Alex Is Always Right. (bugs me). 

• Love 4

Guys this FBI isn't nearly as incompetent as The Following's was.

Comparing a show to The Following? Setting the bar on the ground and hoping someone will trip over it, aren't we?

You don't need to infiltrate the FBI to bomb Grand Central, so this must be about humiliating the FBI. This FBI deserves humiliation, so I guess I have to root for the terrorist. 

The only question is whether the hookups are amusing enough to watch? Simon and the wrong twin; Ryan Booth (loved Jake O'Loughlin in Believe,) and anybody: loved Rick Cosnett in The Flash, so Harper and anybody; "Caleb"'s secret twin "Mark" and Shelby...maybe the bedhopping will make the show entertaining enough to tolerate. Priyank Chopra is physically astonishing, but seems to have Perfect Features Syndrome, a disease caused by a childhood hearing parents say, "You're so beautiful, don't make faces and ruin it!"

• Love 1

I promise, I'm not trying to start an argument, but my issue was with your original post where you said that the show was bad and maybe this show was intended for the Indian market, which I took to mean, that Indians would like this shitfest? But if you meant we should all be offended at the writers of the show for treating us as idiots who would buy this is how great FBI is, then maybe the Indian market comment shouldn't have been there.  

My assumption about Indian market is based on actors' performance (facial expressions, the way they deliver their lines and so on, which is slightly exaggerated) and Quantico's visual style (which reminds of latest Bollywood action movies), no more. So I guess producers clearly had other market than US in their mind when they were making the show. I have nothing against hybrid culture etc. since TV is a part of the global economy.     

Liam confirms that Alex's dad was an agent, so I guess we'll get more of that.

Which I'm guessing means he's the 'traitor' already spoken of and Alex's drive to prove her own innocence will somehow prove her dad's as well.  This should be painless.

And Alex Is Always Right. (bugs me).

But much of her success largely stems from the rest of FBI being stupid stupid stupid.  Relying on others to fail = success by sheer scriptwriting.  

As an Indian, I find that condescending and offensive. 

I doubt a major network would take out ads all over the place in USA if they wanted to make a show primarily for Indians.

I'm really sorry for that, I have nothing against Indians whatsoever. I just think that the show reminds slightly of Bollywood movies (in terms of its style and actors' performances).  

I am confused by why Alex was Booth's mark before she even got to Quantico.  I feel like I need a flowchart to make sense of all the connections and who is who.

I actually remember that show. It has always stayed with me because of the moment in the pilot when the two realize what the third friend did and they try to tell the agents and show them a picture of said friend and they only then realize that every single "group picture" they ever took, his face was conspicuously turned away from the camera, so they actually had no image of his face. That freaked me the hell out. I didn't even realize that was Matt Bomer. 

Pretty good 2nd episode. But, a lot of plot to digest. They were really playing up the conspiracy angle.

So let's see about these suspects:

Simon: Fake gay guy and wearing fake glasses.

Shelby: Apparently speaks a Middle Eastern language and received a mystery phone call. Earlier, erases that contact from her phone.

Caleb: Kicked out of Quantico and comes back as an analyst trainee.

Nimah/Rayna: Mystery twins sent in by Miranda for some kind of experiment.

Vazquez: Not much about her other than some cut/injury under her ear.

Surprised to see Eddie from The Flash here. Looks like he's on to Simon.

I don't know. I have a feeling they are throwing a lot of Red Herrings right now. No one really sticks out like a sore thumb yet.

I don't quite get yet why Liam is using Booth to investigate Alex. Looks like that whole thing was planned way before she was admitted.

Tonight was just ridiculous.

So Alex, in "all the years of the FBI" is the first recruit to ever, ever, get the test about figuring out which plot was real, correct? Meaning it was all fake? Puhleaze.

And now the news anchors are ending their stories with "God Bless America" now? oookay.

And what a vague way to describe Alex. Dark hair, dark eyes, and her height. But not her nationality? Right.

And the new recruit, who wasn't in the pilot, Natalie, is wearing a fake scar behind her ear...why?

So they describe Alex as dark hair, dark skin and her height but fail to show a picture of her???

Ok makes total sense and God Bless America.

• Love 2

For hilarious fun I dropped this into Google translate:  ميكحلادبع ةزمح

That's what  م ي ك ح ل ا د ب ع ة ز م ح would look like if the letters were joined together properly. It came up with 'Makhadba Hzmah'. Ah hah! Or 'Makhadbah Zmah' if the ة was at the end of the first word instead of at the beginning of the second. Hmm my bet is on gibberish.

Really though, the story of somebody who looked like Shelby knowing Arabic (if it's Arabic) that well would be more interesting than this frothy mess.

• Love 1

...Several languages use Arabic script including Farsi, Pashto, Dari, Urdu. It looked to me like the name was Michael something? Or Mikhael. Though that is probably wrong - why have a western name in Arabic script - so nobody would be able to read it? On a contact list it would only draw more attention to itself. Could also be gibberish - the second name began with the so-called tāʼ marbūṭah - the o with two dots over it which is typically used at the end of words. But I don't know how it's used on a phone....

That made no sense to me either. If she's trying to hide her connection to people from that region, why would she put the name in Arabic script when anyone who happened to see her phone ring with that caller would notice? If she wanted to hide the name, why not just list the number under 'Bob Smith' or something? And even with the contact gone, if the agency searches her phone forensically they're going to wonder why she loaded Arabic script on to it. 

...And what a vague way to describe Alex. Dark hair, dark eyes, and her height. But not her nationality? Right....

I was boggled by this too, especially because they included "dark skin". Dark skin could mean anything depending on who hears it. I'm a mixed black woman with a skin tone darker than Alex's. I don't consider her or myself to be dark skinned. Someone with an alabaster complexion might consider anyone with the slightest bit of tan dark skinned. It means nothing. It would have been more helpful to describe her as a stunningly gorgeous Indian woman with flowing shampoo commercial hair.

And for sure Chopra is beautiful, but I have to say, I'm finding her lacking in the acting department. I like her in the Academy scenes, but I don't find her believable at all in the more emotional on the run scenes. 

I actually don't particularly care for the on the run scenes in general. I wish this show was just the academy scenes leading up to the bombing. There's so much stupid, but I'm enjoying finding out about everyone's secrets. Maybe I'll start enjoying both halves more when the cadets start showing up in the present day. 

• Love 3

In general terms, I'm really amused that the lack of professionalism with this FBI, 

Just the fact that they accepted all these recruits who apparently all have some big secret that the FBI doesn't know about really makes them look incredibly incompetent.

• Love 3

The Booth lie doesn't make sense. It is not a positive ID he cannot easily take back, and will harm the potential prosecution of the real big bad.

If they need to make it seem as if he believes she is the big bad (and there is no reason why this is so) he could have said, "I am not sure. Yes, I guess it could have been her."

I love the show (fine, I'm easy, sue me), but this aspect does not (yet?) make sense to me.

I guess I'm out. Way too soapy and all the romances feel so forced. And, well, so does the main plot. I suppose people who say it's similar to Shonda shows are right, it's a soap in its heart, and I'm simply not a soap watcher (don't watch any of TGIT shows).

Simon and Nimah/Raina was the only plotline I felt remotely interested in, but it's not enough to keep watching.

Edited by FurryFury

Didn't they say that Alex is 5'8"?  Priyanka Chopra herself is 5/6".

I thought they said 5'9"!  I'm guessing they *really* don't want us to start thinking about what wee little men most actors are, despite what their "official" height might be!

This show has problems, definitely - everyone has a secret, Alex knows everything, fumbling FBI, etc.  But for some reason I am still enjoying it.  I like the interactions of the recruits.  It moves very fast for me and I like that.

I do, too.  I'm just having fun and not thinking too much... plus... pretty.  Everybody is so pretty!  Who cares if anything makes sense?  PRETTY!  (More seriously, I'm a straight female and the lead actress is so insanely gorgeous I can't take my eyes off of her.)

• Love 4

When the woman instructor said to Liam "When you see her, do you see the woman you loved or the traitor who rejected you?" it made me think that

Liam had been involved with Alex's mother.

That would be great, but that is not what she said. The actual words were "the recruit you fell in love with or the terrorist who rejected you", which describes Alex too well to discard the horrific possibility that it does refer to her. Is the twist that her mother was also a suspected terrorist? Otherwise the question doesn't make sense unless it's about Alex, because Miranda is confronting him about being blinded by spite i.e. the rejection, not about being too soft on her because of having been in love.

I am asking this with utter honesty: is this level of focus on potential hookups and/or being motivated by romantic/sexual interest in someone a thing that actually happens? They've recently started the training, and it's demanding and stressful, so it just doesn't make any sense to me that they would have the time and inclination for any of this extraneous stuff. I'm just flabbergasted and bored during those scenes.

The twins could hardly be any worse at this. I understand the Simon problem, but any difference in clothing, performing tasks differently, seemingly not updating information at the end of the day? This is not the Spy Twins in FBI, it's "take the test for me" in high school.

That Vasquez chick kicked Alex's ass at every opportunity, so why was Alex the best? When? Did everyone read the script ahead to see her bad ass moments?

ETA: One more thing. "There is such a thing as a gay virgin?" W.T.F.
Edited by Crim
  • Love 1

The twins could hardly be any worse at this. I understand the Simon problem, but any difference in clothing, performing tasks differently, seemingly not updating information at the end of the day? This is not the Spy Twins in FBI, it's "take the test for me" in high school.

Seriously. The twins on Big Brother this season did it better.

• Love 5
I am asking this with utter honesty: is this level of focus on potential hookups and/or being motivated by romantic/sexual interest in someone a thing that actually happens?

Well, I don't know about FBI school but the first time I joined an archaeological crew, my advisor told me 'when you get there, have a look around the room and realize that you're gonna sleep with half the women there'.  We all pretty filthy and working hard, and by week 6 most of us could hardly stand the sight of each other anymore.  But she was exactly right. 

So Simon's secret is that he's Clark Kent?!

The Booth lie doesn't make sense. It is not a positive ID he cannot easily take back, and will harm the potential prosecution of the real big bad.

Not only that, but whoever the actual shooter was is now going to be super suspicious of why Booth lied. (Unless Booth was in on it? Seems ultra convenient that he was so lucky in the bullet's placement...)

• Love 1

Still easily prefer the Quantico stuff, over the manhunt.  

I'm predisposed not to like the manhunt stuff because I've never been particularly enamored of the Fugitive type stories. And new factoid I didn't know before now.  Telling this kind of story while also doing flashbacks makes it a thousand times more annoying to me.  The tropes are just thick on the ground and having to sift through every cryptic line to sort the Cryptic Background Reference from the  Take Our Word for It from the That Mysterious Thing to the What Did I Do Last Night is causing me to care about any characters.

The Quantico stuff was redeeming to me before last night but it has two big problems now.  First is that if the are going to make everyone have a deep dark secret that rises to the level of 'might be a terrorist' the viewer is less likely to connect with the secondary character so the main character better be extremely rootable.  This is not happening for me.  Plus I'm annoyed with all the secrets because it feels so unlikely that this many people in a small population have this many gigantic, and ridiculous, secrets much less that they are all FBI recruits.

The other thing about the flashbacks is that they aren't like HTGAWM.  They are Once Upon a Time.  When they aren't painting all the herrings red, they are spending the flashback showing how Alex learned a skill at Quantico that helped her escape in the present timeline.  That is OUAT every day and twice on Sundays.  And I watch that show and that show drains my ability to cope with that dry an hour before this show airs.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

Well, I would have watched a show about Quantico and the various recruits learning their skills, hooking up and revealing secrets but I just can't with the stupid future post bombing fugitive crap. Pity because the cast is pretty to look at (if not terribly talented in the acting department, or that could just be the crap script they are being forced to spew) but I gave up halfway through when I realized I hadn't been paying attention and had no clue at all what was going on.

• Love 1

I'm of Indian descent and I'm not offended by the notion that the network is targeting the Bollywood demographic.... not alone of course... but they hired one of the most popular Bollywood actors in the world as the lead. It's obvious they are counting on drawing her fans and I'm sure it's worked... I know the show is hot in India.

I admit I don't watch much Bollywood or American pop television, so I don't know if these woosh sounds with sped up footage is more indicative of one or the other... but whoever made the decision to use those should go to Editor's Prison for life.

• Love 3

And what a vague way to describe Alex. Dark hair, dark eyes, and her height. But not her nationality? Right.

And the new recruit, who wasn't in the pilot, Natalie, is wearing a fake scar behind her ear...why?

I believe Alex's nationality would be American.  Her ethnicity would be Indian or South Asian.

Natalie has some sort of  receiver hidden in the fake scar

This show had so much promise buts its turning into just a mess.  I dont care about these people enough to go through this crazy mystery.  At this point I'd send the entire class to Guantanamo just to be safe.

Right now Gay analyst dude is the best character simply becuase he's thew only one who doesnt  come of as smug smarmy and entitled. Latin Police chick is my  number 2  becuase she sees right through Alex's BS.

NIma/Mina is losing points becuase you'd think they'd talk about thier day  so thier stories are straight. 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1

Right now Gay analyst dude is the best character simply becuase he's thew only one who doesnt  come of as smug smarmy and entitled. 

Wow!  And I totally disgree.  He walked up to Simon and was all, "Hey there, gay dude!  I'm sure you're gonna want us to hang together..." and put his hands on him. And despite Simon blowing him off several times, he still kept coming back.  Frankly, the last person who wouldn't stop touching me, I broke their finger and pushed a burning cigarette up their nose.  (That was a long time ago.  I'm far more mellow now.  These days, I'd only do one or the other, not both.  Besides, I don't smoke any more.)

I may be wrong, but I thought I heard Miranda say Alex was the first one in YEARS to figure it out, not the first one ever. Meaning that it was completed before, just very rarely has it happened.

I thought she said she was the first one in THE years they've done it to figure it out, meaning she was the first.

As a brown person, I lol'd when they described Alex as having dark skin. She does NOT have dark skin.

• Love 2

As a brown person, I lol'd when they described Alex as having dark skin. She does NOT have dark skin.

Just out of curiosity, if you were a TV anchor and had to describe Alex, the fleeing suspect, what words would you use?

Personally, I'd say something like "This is a photograph of the suspect..." but in this show, the FBI doesn't seem to be able to muster one up.

• Love 1

Wow!  And I totally disgree.  He walked up to Simon and was all, "Hey there, gay dude!  I'm sure you're gonna want us to hang together..." and put his hands on him. And despite Simon blowing him off several times, he still kept coming back.  Frankly, the last person who wouldn't stop touching me, I broke their finger and pushed a burning cigarette up their nose.  (That was a long time ago.  I'm far more mellow now.  These days, I'd only do one or the other, not both.  Besides, I don't smoke any more.)

I saw it as more hero worship on his part. He seemed to be gaga that "wow...youre going to be the first gay investigative agent...I'm only an analyst "

• Love 1