Type keyword(s) to search

Leverage Classic - Past Seasons Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm doing a binge watch of Leverage - missed it originally and am loving it now. This was a great episode. Loved seeing everyone's version of the attempted theft. I continue to crack up at everyone else's reactions to Parker. 

• Love 6

Even though I had already figured it out that Nate probably outsmarted all the thieves from the beginning, I thought this was a great and clever episode. Every one of their stories had me cracking up. And, Sophie's reaction to everyone's view of her was hilarious. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

This might be my favorite episode of the whole show. Just too funny, all of it.

I especially cracked up at Hardison messing with Elliot in that field. Hardison watching that little dot quickly descend on his position had me laughing so very hard!

Oh, and Parker's "Elliot..." Bwhahahhaha!!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 5
On 4/23/2017 at 10:00 PM, DittyDotDot said:

I've spent the last few weeks watching Leverage for the first time--down to the last three episodes and kinda putting off ending this little journey--I decided to watch it mostly because I started watching The Librarians recently and fell in love with John Rogers on the commentaries; thought I should see what else the guy has done for shits and giggles.

It's so funny now, but I didn't think I'd make it through the first season when I started. It just seemed like the premise couldn't hold up for many episodes before I got bored of it. Boy was I wrong. Even though there is a ton of hand waving and suspension of belief, the show managed to stay fresh and entertaining throughout its run, IMO. 

Wow, did they not strike gold with this cast, or what? I can't say I'm a fan of any of the actors, but all of them together is magical. They not only had great chemistry, but it feels like they were having the time of their life making this show. I love that.

I think I might rewatch the whole series from discs now; I think I NEED the commentaries and such. ;)

As a little sidenote: As a former resident of Portland, it was really fun spotting some of the locations and thinking about how much Portland has changed--or not--since I moved away. They did a great job of disguising the city at times and it was really fun when they just had them move there in the final season and not have to disguise the city anymore.

They did indeed strike gold, with the cast and crew.  I'm trying with The Librarians but I feel like watching The Librarians is a little like eating a cake that was meant to be made with butter but the baker decided to go with margarine.

And the commentaries on the DVDs make them 1000% worth the price of admission.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, fastiller said:

I'm trying with The Librarians but I feel like watching The Librarians is a little like eating a cake that was meant to be made with butter but the baker decided to go with margarine.

I like The Librarians mostly because they don't take themselves too seriously and there's hardly a genre show out there that doesn't anymore, but I wish there was more spark with the cast. So, you're analogy works for me! ;)

TBH, I might like The Librarians due to the commentaries more than anything. They're obviously having fun with the show and I usually can't turn away from that sort of vibe.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fastiller said:

They did indeed strike gold, with the cast and crew.  I'm trying with The Librarians but I feel like watching The Librarians is a little like eating a cake that was meant to be made with butter but the baker decided to go with margarine.

And the commentaries on the DVDs make them 1000% worth the price of admission.

3 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I like The Librarians mostly because they don't take themselves too seriously and there's hardly a genre show out there that doesn't anymore, but I wish there was more spark with the cast. So, you're analogy works for me! ;)

TBH, I might like The Librarians due to the commentaries more than anything. They're obviously having fun with the show and I usually can't turn away from that sort of vibe.

I agree with you both. I like The Librarians but I feel like we knew the Leverage characters better by season three and that's not really the case with the Librarians. You knew what Parker would do in a scene, what Eliot, Hardison, Sophie and Nate and we still got a lot of surprises. But the characters on the other show we really don't. Its hard for me not to compare shows to Leverage where I loved every main character and recurring one and its really not the case in most of the other shows I watch. The characters really grew on Leverage from season to season while still keeping the show funny and fun. 

• Love 2

I love this episode! Its easily my favorite. I love everyone's view of each other. Sophie's different accents and how mad she got at everyone, even going back to do hers over of Eliot's. Sophie saying crazy stuff like Governor that's loaded with zero juice! That's okay he's a bleedin doctor. Parker awesomely telling Sophie "Oh, you said shrimp that didn't sound like shrimp' when it sounded like nothing. I laugh so hard through the whole episode. I love how scared they all were of Coswell, Sophie and Parker even had him with a shotgun. Everyone's different version of the size of the knife about to cut poor Hardison open. I'm not completely sold on Nate's version mostly because of the look Nate gave Sophie after she remarked about how smart Coswell was and that he could be even smarter then Nate and that Sophie never picked up on Coswell's crush on her. The latter is surprising considering in her version everyone seem to be in love with Sophie. It doesn't seem like a detail Sophie would miss. But that's okay, it would be funny that none of them were completely correct in what happened. I love Parker's happy dance when she got the dagger and Hardison's happy face when thought he had it. I wish they did more similar ones like this it was so much fun.

• Love 2

I think it's getting to be time for a full series re-watch again.  I would love to fine a newbie to the show and watch it with him/her to see it again for the first time.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The characters really grew on Leverage from season to season while still keeping the show funny and fun. 

Absolutely.  When I have done previous (too many to admit) full series re-watches, I frequently focus on one or other character: EG: let's see how S02.E03 (for example) Parker is laying the ground work for S05.E04 Parker.  Maybe my next one will be to focus on character interactions (IE: how the team as a whole grew).

• Love 4

I also started watching Leverage because of the Librarians. I try not to compare the two, though I don't always succeed, because they are different genres intended for different audiences. And there's a lot of fun to found on the Librarians, but I have to agree they don't quite have that lightning in a bottle quality that Leverage did. I personally wonder if the Librarians doesn't have a case of too many chefs in the kitchen. Even though Leverage was always about the caper first and foremost, there was a consistency in how the team developed and grew, both as a whole and as individuals. With Librarians, it feels like they're more willing to toss character logic and/or development in order to fit another gag in. YMMV, of course.

OK, I promise not to further hijack this thread into a comparison thread anymore. :) DittyDotDot, welcome! You must get the DVDs. The commentaries are as entertaining as the episodes (and it's nice not to have to rely on streaming if you live in a Wifi wasteland like me). Also, blooper reels. I first watched Leverage last year, on Hulu, and hated to see the end, so I immediately turned around and watched the entire series on DVD. Actually, I think I'm overdue for a full re-watch myself. And if you can't get enough of Leverage, I suggest browsing through John Rogers' former blog, where he discusses most of the show's episodes in detailed Q&As. There are lots of goodies to be found if you have the patience to search them out.

• Love 4

So, I started over re-watching--why not, right--and I just got to The Mile High Job: is their in-flight movie one the second Librarian movie? Hadn't watched the movies when I watched the episode the first time...oh, that's funny!

Also, I love this episode. Sophie and Nate's not-entirely-con argument, Parker is the best worst flight attendant ever, Elliot's constant "idiots" and Hardison infiltrating the office are all just so well done. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

So, I started over re-watching--why not, right--and I just got to The Mile High Job: is their in-flight movie one the second Librarian movie? Hadn't watched the movies when I watched the episode the first time...oh, that's funny!

Also, I love this episode. Sophie and Nate's not-entirely-con argument, Parker is the best worst flight attendant ever, Elliot's constant "idiots" and Hardison infiltrating the office are all just so well done. 

I love that episode! Parker's flight instructions were awesome and terrifying, and I love Hardison firing himself at the end of the day.

• Love 1

It took a little research to confirm, but that's Agent McSweetin in the red-and-black plaid shirt for those Busch commercials.  Good to see Gerald Downey getting some real exposure; I hope it leads to bigger and better things.

The recent Nationwide commercial with Brad Paisley and a Manning brother is giving me all sorts of Leverage feels.  First, the obvious similarity to Hardison's criticism of Eliot's performance in the Studio Job.  If Manning said "Pitchy" in that commercial  I would plotz.  And then there is the creepy similarity between Manning and the boss from the greeting card company.  Leverage casting was even more brilliant than I knew.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

My first thought is that it's to keep it in rotation. Services do drop shows (Netflix just stopped several older series).

That's what I first thought too. But I'm a glass is half full kinda gal so I'm really hoping for a movie.

1 hour ago, P2C2E said:

Time for another Netflix marathon! (Even though I own all the seasons...)

I'm currently on season 4 again. I really do love this show. I wish someone of the Powers that be at Netflix or Hulu would take a chance on the show. Man I miss new episodes. It was the one show I would never miss. The last episode on Christmas was the only one I had to absolutely watch later. And tears were falling.

• Love 2

I just started the Nigerian Job and I noticed something I never quite noticed before. Nate was quite happy to see Sophie when he asked her to join. I never realized how much he flirted at that moment with a slight shyness that she might say no. Oh well, I always had a crush on Tim Hutton.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, P2C2E said:

Time for another Netflix marathon! (Even though I own all the seasons...)

Ugh, I have to reframe my thinking. I own all the seasons, too, on DVD and iTunes. As much as I rewatch episodes, I never think to do it on Netflix. Hopefully, I'll remember next time.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, supposebly said:

I just started the Nigerian Job and I noticed something I never quite noticed before. Nate was quite happy to see Sophie when he asked her to join. I never realized how much he flirted at that moment with a slight shyness that she might say no. Oh well, I always had a crush on Tim Hutton.

I love the scene where the soon-to-be team is at the theater watching Sophie perform for the first time. Everyone but Nate has a look of horror and he's smiling and mouthing the words like she's amazing.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I love the scene where the soon-to-be team is at the theater watching Sophie perform for the first time. Everyone but Nate has a look of horror and he's smiling and mouthing the words like she's amazing.

I love that scene. Also the one after another one of her plays Eliot says it was the worse night of his life. Hardison doesn't think it could be Eliot flashes back to being held captive and Russian Roulette. Then insists last night was still the worse. I don't think that's the same one where Parker's reading the review of Sophie in the Sound of Music. Never before has a production of Sound of Music made me root for the Nazis. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that scene. Also the one after another one of her plays Eliot says it was the worse night of his life. Hardison doesn't think it could be Eliot flashes back to being held captive and Russian Roulette. Then insists last night was still the worse. I don't think that's the same one where Parker's reading the review of Sophie in the Sound of Music. Never before has a production of Sound of Music made me root for the Nazis. 

I also love it when someone questions Nate's choice of Sophie saying she can't act and Nate says something to the effect of: "She can when she's not trying!" Which only increases my enjoyment of everyone's view of Sophie in The Rashomon Job.

Awww, I think I need to rewatch this show again! ;)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I also love it when someone questions Nate's choice of Sophie saying she can't act and Nate says something to the effect of: "She can when she's not trying!" Which only increases my enjoyment of everyone's view of Sophie in The Rashomon Job.

Awww, I think I need to rewatch this show again! ;)

That episode was just all kinds of awesome. Sophie getting mad at Eliot's version and changing her story by making Eliot a beer guzzling hick with a pipe. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It was so great when they used the same scene from the Scottish play in the finale. Full circle and all that!

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That episode was just all kinds of awesome. Sophie getting mad at Eliot's version and changing her story by making Eliot a beer guzzling hick with a pipe. 

And then Parker's version was straight-up unintelligible gibberish. Sophie's "I hate you all" is a go-to response when I get frustrated with people.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

It was so great when they used the same scene from the Scottish play in the finale. Full circle and all that!

And then Parker's version was straight-up unintelligible gibberish. Sophie's "I hate you all" is a go-to response when I get frustrated with people.

I loved Parker immediately replying with "Oh, you said shrimp. That didn't sound like shrimp." to the gibberish. Only Parker would say that.

• Love 4

I like to use Elliot's "it's very distinctive" whenever I know something that someone else doesnt know.

I love that the writer's were very aware of how to bring things full circle, everything had a purpose and taught us more about the characters. Watching the seasons, they always had a point. I never really felt like any episodes were fillers. Sure, there is a rare episode I'll skip bc I'm not the biggest fan but that's few and far between.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

I love that the writer's were very aware of how to bring things full circle, everything had a purpose and taught us more about the characters.

I love that too, and for that very reason I specifically never wanted any continuation, no extra season or movie or anything. (By this time, I think I'm safe.) It lasted as long as it needed to and no more, they brought it to a beautiful, satisfying conclusion with everything having come full circle and all the stories rounded off. Very few series have ever managed it that well. I don't need or want any more.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2017 at 3:08 PM, supposebly said:

I love the added info from the commentary that John Rogers shared about the scene in the alley after that first "performance" of Sophie's. During Tim's coverage when Sophie leans forward to deliver the line, "I always thought you had it in you." she was asked instead to say ,"I always knew you loved me." unbeknownst to Tim and it made him blush.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Raingirlkm said:

During Tim's coverage when Sophie leans forward to deliver the line, "I always thought you had it in you." she was asked instead to say ,"I always knew you loved me." unbeknownst to Tim and it made him blush.

That's adorable! And makes me crush on him even more.

• Love 1

I've been watching season four, its still such a great show four seasons in. When Parker crosses Archie's passed, of course she not only taken the wallets but also lollipop. The lollipop is the one she's most reluctant to give back. Or when their doing the boiler job and Parker's phone gets lifted which she knows its part of the plan. She immediately goes and lifts that guy's wallet, keys and watch over Nate's objection. She gives back everything except a credit card. I love in the Boys Night Out the two Irish guys arguing outside the church whether the church basement was holy ground or not.  So, what, it goes holy ground, mmmm the basement, holy ground?

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I've been watching season four, its still such a great show four seasons in. When Parker crosses Archie's passed, of course she not only taken the wallets but also lollipop. The lollipop is the one she's most reluctant to give back. Or when their doing the boiler job and Parker's phone gets lifted which she knows its part of the plan. She immediately goes and lifts that guy's wallet, keys and watch over Nate's objection. She gives back everything except a credit card.

Parker's professional pride is never not funny!!! ;)

• Love 5
On 10/9/2017 at 9:01 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Parker's professional pride is never not funny!!! ;)

Off the top of my head, other favorite moments:

-Snow Job when she has to hang off of the ski lift ( "Oh yeah. Help.")

-Three Days of the Hunter when she's supposed to get caught stealing the press credentials

-Double Blind Job when Ashley wishes her good luck and Parker takes offense (really any Parker/Ashley interaction is gold-"She kinda looks like a terrorist!" "Nice girl. Funny teeth.")

• Love 3

Today especially that guy George Papadopoulos in the Russian investigation being in the news I'm  hearing some pronounce his name sounding  a lot like Papadakalis, Nates lawyer character. I might just have to watch The Lost Heir Job soon because  of it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Today especially that guy George Papadopoulos in the Russian investigation being in the news I'm  hearing some pronounce his name sounding  a lot like Papadakalis, Nates lawyer character. I might just have to watch The Lost Heir Job soon because  of it.

I kept hearing the same thing!

• Love 2

I hope someone from Leverage posts “Let’s go steal us an online streaming service” when it comes back. Im definitely going to be requesting it.

Did anyone see John Rogers’ twitter today? He made some of some grifters who screwed up a heist. Man, I’d love for this show to come back. So much material....so few thieves to fix all these issues.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2017 at 3:44 PM, netlyon2 said:

Off the top of my head, other favorite moments:

-Snow Job when she has to hang off of the ski lift ( "Oh yeah. Help.")

-Three Days of the Hunter when she's supposed to get caught stealing the press credentials

-Double Blind Job when Ashley wishes her good luck and Parker takes offense (really any Parker/Ashley interaction is gold-"She kinda looks like a terrorist!" "Nice girl. Funny teeth.")

"Break into a high school?  I could do that blindfolded!"  Pause.  "Yeah, let's do that!"

• Love 3