Type keyword(s) to search

The Path - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, everything is out in the open now that Vera told Eddie everything.  I was glad that she did and I was happy that he didn't show her the door.  What exactly will now happy when Eddie meets Lilith is anyone's guess.

Every scene with Cal is great.  This guy carries the show.  I really hope he is recognized some way for his performance.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 8:30 AM, Dminches said:

I often feel like taking Russell's guitar and hitting him over the head with it.

Every time he plays his guitar, I'm reminded of the movie Role Models with Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd. They say camping always involves a guy who can't really play the guitar but thinks he can. The next scene is at the campsite and the "guitarist" (David Wain) is starting and restarting his song on his guitar because he can't find the chord or can't remember the song or just can't play.

Russell is that guy.

• Love 2

They all sound like goofy Christian kids' songs, yet adults are singing them, along with Russell and his stupid guitar accompaniment. I grew up Southern Baptist, so I recall the kind of songs we sang at church camp (*shudder*). I'm not at all religious since leaving home at 18, and this show reminds me why.

• Love 3

I also survived a summer at church camp, not to mention good old Vacation Bible School!

I don't think the Meyerist Elders should worry too much about people leaving the cult if the truth comes out about Steve; after all, Mormonism is still going strong despite (no offense) a very strange origin story and decades of polygamy. People willing to give up their own children to follow "the Light" aren't going to abandon their religion so quickly and will be eager to buy any spin that excuses Steve's abuse of Cal. Sarah was questioning way before she ever heard of Lilith.

Russell's wife is even worse than he is: she's a nasty, snotty, holier-than-thou phony.

• Love 5

She really is the worst.

This episode was a wreck. Hawk, just believe Caleb when he says he doesn't want you to save him TWICE already even before confronting him at the conversion therapy place.

What's the point of Wil Wheaton's character? Stop introducing new characters, show!

This season had better be the last. I'm so bored.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2018 at 11:34 AM, bilgistic said:

She really is the worst.

This episode was a wreck. Hawk, just believe Caleb when he says he doesn't want you to save him TWICE already even before confronting him at the conversion therapy place.

What's the point of Wil Wheaton's character? Stop introducing new characters, show!

Just a FYI, but that was actually Vincent Kartheiser ("Pete Campbell" of Mad Men), not Wil Wheaton as the congressman.

Yeah, I think this needs to be the final season, and hopefully (I type this having just watched the 12th and presumably second-to-last episode yesterday) they'll wrap things up with the Eddie death sequence next week.  I don't know what well they're still drilling here, the show has no focus or point since a few episodes into season 2, at least that I've been able to detect.  I watch it out of habit, and because Freida Pinto is so gosh darn cute.  Her character is pointless too, though, as are they all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, hincandenza said:

Just a FYI, but that was actually Vincent Kartheiser ("Pete Campbell" of Mad Men), not Wil Wheaton as the congressman.

Yeah, I think this needs to be the final season, and hopefully (I type this having just watched the 12th and presumably second-to-last episode yesterday) they'll wrap things up with the Eddie death sequence next week.  I don't know what well they're still drilling here, the show has no focus or point since a few episodes into season 2, at least that I've been able to detect.  I watch it out of habit, and because Freida Pinto is so gosh darn cute.  Her character is pointless too, though, as are they all.

Whoops. They look so similar. I can't edit my post for some reason.

Edited by bilgistic
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, bilgistic said:

She really is the worst.

It's aimless, just meandering subplots.

• Love 2

Well, that was anticlimactic. Vera was shot instead of Eddie. Other than that, nothing happened that made this a satisfying finale. It was just another meandering episode.

I'm mad that it was left open enough for another season. They could explore the growth of Meyerism. Or are they going to call it Lillithism now? Laneism? Whatever.

The minor plot point about Eddie wanting Meyerism recognized as a religion by the IRS felt referential to the "Church" of Scientology famously fighting the IRS for and eventually gaining tax-exempt status.

I noticed that everyone was wearing black at Vera's funeral. Meyerists had always worn white and didn't "mourn". They wore white most recently at Sarah's dad's funeral. I don't know what it's supposed to mean, though. I don't know that I care that much.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Well, that was anticlimactic. Vera was shot instead of Eddie. Other than that, nothing happened that made this a satisfying finale. It was just another meandering episode.

I'm mad that it was left open enough for another season. They could explore the growth of Meyerism. Or are they going to call it Lillithism now? Laneism? Whatever.

The minor plot point about Eddie wanting Meyerism recognized as a religion by the IRS felt referential to the "Church" of Scientology famously fighting the IRS for and eventually gaining tax-exempt status.

I noticed that everyone was wearing black at Vera's funeral. Meyerists had always worn white and didn't "mourn". They wore white most recently at Sarah's dad's funeral. I don't know what it's supposed to mean, though. I don't know that I care that much.

And that was pretty much expected with the way things were going.

• Love 2

Apparently, Silas's remains (Cal killled him forever ago) were shown when they were digging to lay pipe for whatever reason. I couldn't tell what was shown when the camera zoomed in on the dirt. That means there's a definite setup for season four. I'm not coming back, show!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 12:43 AM, Wicked said:

There will be no season 4 according to Aaron Paul's twitter

Great news! Season 2 should have been the series finale as is, there was no reason for season 3 to even exist.

• Love 1

I've been gunning through the show because I finally got around to it. I don't watch that much Hulu because they don't have a download offline option.

I'm on the episode where Eddie gets beat up. But the change from S1 to S2 is jarring. I literally had no idea what was going on in the first episode of S2. I don't really need to be 'rooting' for a character to watch a show, but wow are most of these people sanctimonious. And the son is smug as fuck. Talk about a chip off the mom's block.

I'm actually into Sarah. She's like a supervillain. I usually root for the bad guys to get away with it, but I hope she rots in jail.

I like the FBI guy. I still call him C-Note. But most of the other plot lines except for the 'movement' branching out to making money, and Sarah's schemes aren't particularly interesting. The ex-druggie girl is such a dishrag.

I have no idea knowing what he knows that Eddie didn't buy a gun.

Edited by DoctorAtomic

What in the shit? Sarah gets away with it, the water plot ended up basically about nothing and now Sarah is some rope slut? 

Nice to see the son is still a c*** though. 

Awesomely derivative to have college students to be condescending too. 

I wonder why no one asked if Eddie was just chosen because he was the only person there when looney ass Steve climbed the mountain in a thunderstorm. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

I get the narrative decision at first to not really get into the nuts and bolts of the religion, but in a season 3 its falling a little flat because everything seems like platitudes now. I mean there's no way Felicia wasn't high af and fell into the camp fire. I felt like there was more to say about how flimsy religious premises really are, like the comment about Mormons, which, don't get me started, but that wasn't really this show. 

Way back in s1 Eddie made a point about how the work was good but everything else was ridiculous. I think they could have gone that way in this last season but they started with the no fire miracle. 

Also this not nazi plot is dumb. 

On 4/11/2016 at 4:41 PM, numbnut said:

Interesting point. I find a sameness in Paul's performances from project to project, though I missed Triple 9. Maybe BrBad was a rare perfect fit for his limited capabilities, like Mad Men was a perfect fit for January Jones.

And his performance is exactly the same in Westworld. The only difference is, he gets to use high powered futuristic weapons.