Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Forsaken

An ex-cop and a self-described wild child clash over cuddling deep in the Panamanian jungle; and when the challenge overwhelms one of them, the other must forage, trap and even kill to keep a glimmer of hope alive.

I'm not finished watching this one yet but I wanted to start a thread. This environment has some serious spiders. Yeeeesh. The guy was pretty useless, bless his heart. I think he just did not prepare himself properly. You have to overload yourself with carbs, electrolytes, and water before you arrive. It's like showing up on day 1 of The Biggest Loser without pre-gaming. When the chick said she had only used the bow drill twice, I was like "uh oh," but she turned it out. Good for her!

Okay, I just finished...this chick is kinda badass. I doubt her trap caught that pig, it seemed to be made with a legit rope so it reeked of producer intervention; but she let it go free, so at least it was just a "tv moment" and not actual cheating. Her skills were limited but solid, and her attitude was great. I liked her a lot more than most of last season's women, and of course Bitch Group 6 from Naked and Afraid XL.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 6

I stepped out of the room for 2 minutes only to come back to find the cop being taken out.  What the friggety frack?  5 minutes before that and he was telling her, "I wouldn't leave you.  I didn't leave my men in Afghanistan, I didn't leave them in Iraq, I won't leave you."  And then he leaves her - like, on what...day 3??

Also, he was complaining that she brought nothing to the table.  Yes, bringing the fire bow with only 2 tries under her belt was dumb in theory but I didn't see him look for food once.  And it's against his ethics to cuddle a cold girl but he'll go on national TV, naked?  I didn't like this jack ass one bit.  And his tattoos were ugly.

Now the girl, I wanted to dislike right away.  But she pulled it out.  After kindergarten cop left, I was cheering for her the rest of the way.  So glad she made it and with a full belly!

• Love 9

I didn't catcher age but I doubt he was three times older than she was. Not sure it's polite to point it out even if it's true, but whatever.

I did not like his smug, "I"ll motivate the (shit bleep) outta her" before he even met her.

That giant spider just above their heads while they were sleeping creeped me right out.

If I only used the bow drill twice, I'd have kept that to myself. Also, can they not bring a lighter? Also, in her defense since she made the fire it is irrelevant that she had only used it twice before, if that's all it took. So there.  

The married and or committed cuddlers should prolly stay home. I thought that was part of survival in the cold....like  literally in the books. He has no issues, as mentioned, with being naked on tv and in front of others who are not his wife bc .....he makes his own rules? check.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

Did they say how low his blood pressure was? Im just curious. TIA

I wondered why she didn't do the body mud thing for the bugs. Does that even help? I"d guess yes, better than nothing. (?)

"coconut crotch water!"

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

Seems like this show attracts a lot of ex military people. So far they appear to have a mixed record of making it all the way to extraction.

The medic did mention the blood pressure which was low enough to force him out. He didn't prepare well enough and it looks like he didn't do much about finding food when they got there, that obviously would have kept him going at least a little while longer. All he seemed to do is talk about how tough he thinks he is. Did he know how to make a fire? I wouldn't mention how little I've used the tool I brought myself, but if you're cold and your partner lets you down try fixing the problem yourself don't sit there criticizing her.

• Love 2

The guy was a total douche.  Not bringing a flint firestarter was dumb but it's not like he had any better ideas or was contributing anything.  And the no cuddling was just absurd.  What did he think was going to happen, she was going to jump his bones or he wouldn't be able to control his boner?  Chill out dude, this chick was definitely NOT into you.  Jerk.

• Love 4

She even said that she'd happily take arms and no crotch for warmth. Still no go.

I kind of wish she'd killed the pig and fed herself and all of the crew and gone down in N & A history as feeding the whole crew..... after her butch partner had to medic-tap out. -- the one who said that she'd never make it alone. Yeah... that. 

• Love 1

I kind of wish she'd killed the pig and fed herself and all of the crew and gone down in N & A history as feeding the whole crew..... after her butch partner had to medic-tap out. -- the one who said that she'd never make it alone. Yeah... that. 

That would have been stellar. 

Neither one of them were very prepared for when she actually got the fire started.  After she got the ball of dry grass sparked, it seemed like she was scrambling to find kindling/twigs while he stood around and said, "Well, golly gee."  I would've had a pile of stuff ready to go, at my side, whenever an attempt was made.  And right next to that would be a fire pit, lined, stacked and ready to go.

But she got it going and that's a whole lot more than he did.

I was also impressed with how calmly she killed the caiman, ate heartily and then smoked the rest for the remaining days.  Also calm when she saw the snake on the way to extraction.  I ended up really liking her.

• Love 5

Gary is a jerk.  Kim rocked the challenge.

He thought she was naive and selfish.  He struck out at her saying she did not have the skill-set, and by the 19th day, she is releasing food she would not be able to eat.  He lives in a fantasy world.

Kim is one of the best yet!  17 days alone to finish.

• Love 4

I'm glad she didn't kill the little pig (was he a leftover from that Bear Grylls show? ;-) )since she didn't really need the meat. That was ethical. Don't they do physicals on people before they are picked? That guy was pitiful.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

This episode reminds me of why this show is so damned intriguing. Kim irritated me at first (you brought along an untested item as your survival tool?!), but MAN, did she rise to the challenge. I was pulling for her from the moment Gary started swinging his dick around, refusing to cuddle in the cold and saying he'd "motivate" her. It's always the biggest blowhards who wind up folding in the end.

Who would have thought on day one that this shaggy, goofy girl would kill it the way she did? As for Gary, enjoy that 5.3 final PSR, you arrogant putz.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 7

I don't understand how Kim's PSR only raised to 7.0--what a joke! She ROCKED that challenge, she not only survived, she THRIVED. 

She is the only woman on this show you really could say survived alone, and not just hibernated the days away *coughAlanacough*

• Love 10

I don't understand how Kim's PSR only raised to 7.0--what a joke! She ROCKED that challenge, she not only survived, she THRIVED.

I thought the same thing.  She stayed on her own for 17 days!  How does the not rate a much higher PSR?  Glad they dropped his to 5.4.  He totally deserved it.  I wanted to like him but when he started in on the cuddling is not allowed, I was like WTH?  She is not asking you to compromise your marriage/morals, she just wanted to stay warm idiot.  Don't flatter yourself as you are not that hot.  What an idiot. 

I am glad she did so well and killing the baby gator was awesome.  I understand her crying while she did it but she certainly deserved it.  What I wonder is where did she put the food at night?  There is no way she could have left it on the fire to smoke at night or could she?  I would think it would draw a lot of unwanted attention from the critters all around her.

• Love 3

I am glad she did so well and killing the baby gator was awesome.  I understand her crying while she did it but she certainly deserved it.

I understood and didn't mind her crying either.  Animal lover or not, I'm sure that's a hard thing to do but as a survivalist, it must be done.  On Discovery Channel's Alaska: The Last Frontier, after Eiven kills an animal for food, he thanks the animal and strokes it's fur for a minute.  Sounds weird but I think it's nice and just his way of spiritually showing gratitude for the animal that is soon to become sustenance for him, his wife and baby.

• Love 1

sometimes, i wonder if they have chimps doing the PSR ratings.

also, i sometimes wonder if production just intervenes and set up kills when a survivalist leaves and because they are too lazy to set up new sruvuvalists to replace the old ones if they leave too early.  that is the most sedate and chill croc that i have seen.

still, her mental capacity is pretty bad ass considering she put her mind into making that fire and she did it.

if everything was legit, most easily the most bad ass woman to ever be in this show.

• Love 2

Just watched the "After Panama" clip on Disco website.  That Gary was still a real dick.

Simply amazing how he could put in the performance he did, watch Kim go the distance, and still be so out of touch and insulting to Kim's achievements.