Type keyword(s) to search

Volume II: Generations (S2)

MarkHB

I was bored so I just rewatched season 1 (which was pretty good) and I started rewatching season 2 which was kind of meh as I remember it being. Did anyone else feel that the show lost something after season 1? I think the biggest thing was with Peter lost his memory and Hiro being trapped in the past, they lost the two best characters in the main story. Then added new characters that are boring.

• Love 1

More random thoughts from my binge watch.

Season 2 is incredibly uneven for me. There are parts and character I enjoy, and yet so much that was absolutely infuriating to me. 

Let's start with Maya. Holy cow, did she annoy me. The constant whining and crying was so irritating. Gee Maya, if you don't want to kill people with your oil slick of tears, then how about work on calming the fuck down once in a while? Then they meet up with Sylar (who I loathe) and she somehow manages to become even stupider with all her attitude of "screw my brother who has been risking his life and covering my ass for me, let's trust this random creepy stranger!" I've seen it said they had different plans for her relating to the Shanti Virus plot- does anyone know what their original plan for her/the virus was?

The virus never made much sense to me either. Mohinder's sister (who maybe had an ability?) gets sick with some never seen before virus, and somehow the company gets hold of it to experiment on. Why would they do this? Then they weaponize it, but can't decide whether to use it or destroy it. So how did Molly get it? And then why/how was it suddenly spreading so fast? I hated Peter's amnesiac in Ireland plot, and Caitlin was almost as annoying to me as Maya, but I really thought it sucked when he teleported her into the future and left her to probably die from the virus (not intentionally, but still). Did they ever clear up if he was able to go back and get her someday? OR what happened to her when he and Adam didn't release the virus and the future was different? Was she trapped in the same alternate future with a virus killing people, or did it suddenly change to a different future? 

Hiro in the past and Adam/Kensei was really not well thought out. When they put Hiro that far back in the past, they should have just made him Kensei and skipped having Adam there at all. What was he doing in feudal Japan anyway? Adam still could have been tied in to the Company and Peter's story, there wasn't a need to make him part of Hiro's too. Also it would have made a lot more sense for Adam to be related to Claire- same ability and same coloring. I was half expecting it to revealed that he was her real father, and Meredith just said it was Nathan because the Petrellis were loaded. Angela still could have been invested in hiding/protecting Claire given her history with Adam. 

The company stuff was good in theory but not very well executed on the show (like so many plots...). I don't know why Angela and Kaito are so scared about the picture with the symbol being drawn over it, if they don't know it's Adam after them. They reference Linderman and Deveaux receiving the same sign or whatever- but Linderman was killed by DL and Deveaux died of some illness (cancer?) so those deaths were completely unrelated. Also, don't they know Arthur isn't really dead? Angela certainly should. 

So what did I like about this "volume"? Monica. I liked Monica. She was a new character whose introduction wasn't nearly as forced and horrible as Maya's. Her ability was actually interesting and useful, and the actress was likeable. So I guess it made complete sense for the show to never develop her further and then to pretend she never existed. After all, why focus on heroes on a show called Heroes when you can have Sylar repent and then go on a killing spree over and over again?

I liked Matt and Mohinder being all "My 2 Dads" with Molly. Though seeing how Molly turned out on Reborn makes me want to punch both of them now. Poor girl. 

Oh, and I liked Kristen Bell showing up on this show, because I love Veronica Mars. It's weird that I always forget she/Elle was on the show for as long as she was.

Do we have a thread for Volume 3: Villians? Or the other volumes? I'll probably binge watch Villians this weekend. 

Edited by Jenniferbug

So what did I like about this "volume"? Monica. I liked Monica. She was a new character whose introduction wasn't nearly as forced and horrible as Maya's. Her ability was actually interesting and useful, and the actress was likeable. So I guess it made complete sense for the show to never develop her further and then to pretend she never existed. After all, why focus on heroes on a show called Heroes when you can have Sylar repent and then go on a killing spree over and over again?

I liked her too both the first time and on the rewatch. She wasn't annoying and had a realistic connection to an already established character (Micka). Had an awesome power and was very likable. I wonder why she wasn't in season 3?

I've read that she actually filmed scenes in the Villains volume, but they were cut. I've never seen anything saying why they were cut or what they were about. Does anyone else know? Seems like they'd be a DVD extra or something.