Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

20 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I only occasionally watch HH, I usually watch HHI. Did this show used to have narration? It seems weird without it.

Yep - they dropped the narrator. I seem to be sitting at a table of one as liking it better without the narrator, especially since they dropped the "he wants, she wants" manufactured drama nonsense.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

St. Louis woman was interesting.  I did not think she would take the attached house.  I thought the 2nd so she could fix it the way she wanted.  

I thought it was a good decision, though -- the price made sense, and the second would have taken a lot of work since one of the issues was the low ceilings.  I think it having some of the original details despite not needing much work was probably a factor (although who knows, location which was not mentioned much could have been a major unidentified factor).

• Love 1

I'm watching an episode in Florence Alabama - 7 kids. They're practical, though she wants like 50 acres. But my gawd, if I hear "boom boom room" ever again, it'll be too soon. 

• Love 1

SF Bay Area: OMG with that mother/realtor!! I would have taken the first house just for the fact that it was a 50 min drive away from her! I can't see that marriage lasting very long. The wife seemed kind of meh towards the husband and then add Marie Barone to the mix and I see them moving to Splitsville in the future.

St Louis: The buyer was kind of annoying. I couldn't tell if she was flirting with her friend or just trying too hard...maybe both? I didn't understand why she needed such a huge house. Or why she needed a "grand staircase to make an entrance." She was single and living alone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I had to conclude the SF Bay Area one was totally fake. I missed the first few minutes so I didn't quite understand why he was so fixated on having a wheelchair-friendly home, but that the realtor -- his mother! -- showed them a house that was up a flight from the street, and then another couple of stories for the house defied reason. Why even agree to view it?

I was annoyed with the wife complaining about every inch of grout she saw because it would be so time-consuming to clean it. To me that was a manufactured complaint.

The worst part was that when they saw the house that faced the freeway, they were both more concerned with what their friends would think of them buying such an expensive house by the freeway than how they felt about living there. They loved the backyard which had a running path right behind it with a see-through fence! Talk about zero privacy. And that's the house they chose.

Like I said, totally fake.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I'm watching an episode in Florence Alabama - 7 kids. They're practical, though she wants like 50 acres. But my gawd, if I hear "boom boom room" ever again, it'll be too soon. 

I really liked this episode, it was different.  I thought they should pick the third house, but when they explained they got maintenance for hay on the second it made sense.  The boom boom room thing for once seemed actually authentic and a little funny, not for the camera (cringe-worthy though it was).  

One thing about families with that many children is they seem resigned to sharing space in a way so many precious princesses on HHers will not.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, ForReal said:

I had to conclude the SF Bay Area one was totally fake. I missed the first few minutes so I didn't quite understand why he was so fixated on having a wheelchair-friendly home, but that the realtor -- his mother! -- showed them a house that was up a flight from the street, and then another couple of stories for the house defied reason. Why even agree to view it?

I was annoyed with the wife complaining about every inch of grout she saw because it would be so time-consuming to clean it. To me that was a manufactured complaint.

The worst part was that when they saw the house that faced the freeway, they were both more concerned with what their friends would think of them buying such an expensive house by the freeway than how they felt about living there. They loved the backyard which had a running path right behind it with a see-through fence! Talk about zero privacy. And that's the house they chose.

Like I said, totally fake.

OMG that episode was so annoying. I knew it would be when the description was something about wanting a fancy house in the Bay Area (where prices are out of control for any house) and then they were debating $2 m vs. $2.5 m budgets.

The husband does reconstructive medicine or something like that so is very aware of the risks of being in a wheelchair/having bad knees and what not.  The wife's deal with grout actually makes sense when picking backsplash specifically (although it's not as big a deal as she suggests) and I agree with her that grout on a counter is dumb, but backsplash is easy to replace (and again some grout on a backsplash is not that big a deal, speaking from experience). The freakout about the shower I thought was weird.  Also, if you feel compelled to buy a $2m+ house that is gigantic, hire a cleaner or change a few finishes.

I liked the first (which seemed by far the best value, especially given the views). The second was a nutty mansion that seemed way excessive to me. The third was okay except that the MiL was too close, so I would have liked the first, predicted the third (despite the apparently bad location, freeway I mean, not MiL). And of course they took the third (for $2.226 m).

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 2

What to say about the couple looking for a house in the Minneapolis area?  So many things, but I wasn't surprised that she got the house she wanted, even though it had only 4 bedrooms.  I liked the fact that the man wanted a house with a huge yard, or even a couple of acres so that the children could play outside, and he could enjoy that space with them.  Nope, wasn't gonna happen.  

Obviously, they had known each other for a long time, but that was an opposites attract relationship, IMHO.  Anyone notice that she drove in all of the house viewing scenes?  Don't think I've ever seen that before on HH.  Maybe he doesn't like driving.  Getting real tired of the HH's obsessions of carpet vs. no carpet.  That's a easy fix either way, so get over it.  What's not an easy fix is location, lot size, demo of certain interior walls if they are load bearing, etc.    

• Love 5
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

What to say about the couple looking for a house in the Minneapolis area?  So many things, but I wasn't surprised that she got the house she wanted, even though it had only 4 bedrooms.  I liked the fact that the man wanted a house with a huge yard, or even a couple of acres so that the children could play outside, and he could enjoy that space with them.  Nope, wasn't gonna happen.  

Obviously, they had known each other for a long time, but that was an opposites attract relationship, IMHO.  Anyone notice that she drove in all of the house viewing scenes?  Don't think I've ever seen that before on HH.  Maybe he doesn't like driving.  Getting real tired of the HH's obsessions of carpet vs. no carpet.  That's a easy fix either way, so get over it.  What's not an easy fix is location, lot size, demo of certain interior walls if they are load bearing, etc.    

Agree to all of this!!  She was super annoying when the husband/boyfriend was excited about watching movies with the kids in the nice finished basement and she complained because she wanted everyone upstairs with her.  Seriously?  And the stove had to be in the island because she didn't want her back to everyone while she was cooking.  But in true HH fashion, they or should I say SHE, picked the house with everything she whined about the most.  On a vain note, she needs to buy her clothes at least one size larger.  And if I never see a marriage proposal on HH again, that would be great!

• Love 7

I felt sorry for the soon to be MN husband.  She was annoying.  Each child needs their own bedroom.  I was wondering if his boys even lived with them full-time or do they also spend time with mom.    

Agree she needed to size up her wardrobe.  Not flattering at all.

I thought they would pick the last house since it had the 5 bedrooms she needed.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

The husband does reconstructive medicine or something like that so is very aware of the risks of being in a wheelchair/having bad knees and what not.  

His logic was that you never know when tragedy could strike and you'd end up wheelchair-bound. I've never seen a house hunter want to buy a specific house in case anyone in his family gets paralyzed. That's a little...pessimistic, to say the least.

And the mom...have mercy. I feel for the daughter, annoying as she was during the house hunt. But how do you tell your MIL or have your husband tell his mother that she can't just stop by whenever she wants? That would drive me crazy. I'd have to learn to treat my MIL like a Jehovah's witness and pretend not to be home when she rang the doorbell. Except, she did walk in at the end of the episode when the family was in the backyard. Does she have her own friggin key?

5 hours ago, laredhead said:

Obviously, they had known each other for a long time, but that was an opposites attract relationship, IMHO.

My first thought about Minnesota girlfriend was gold-digger. Although the boyfriend didn't seem super-rich, she didn't really seem into him as a person. She seemed more into him as a concept and what he could bring to her life: i.e., Here's a nice, stable guy who’s going to give my young kids a reliable father and will be a better husband than my asshole of an ex was. Of course, I could be totally wrong--they've known each other since childhood, and she claims to have had a crush on him back then. Maybe they really are soulmates, though I have my doubts  

And she was never interested in what he thought or felt--everything was me, me, me. I wonder if that marriage will last (or even happen). The boyfriend's sons didn't seem to care about her too much. But maybe she's nicer when the cameras are off.

• Love 7

I have to admit I thought the engagement scene with the Minneapolis couple was really sweet! She was definitely completely surprised (I remember another HH where you could tell the fiancee knew the proposal was coming).

• Love 2

Just watched Oceanside, CA episode where the adult son was helping his mom purchase her own home. He was a sweetheart and not embarrassed to show his emotions. I have to admit I shed a tear or two when he cried. I agreed with their choice,  although they compromised on only 1 bath. She can add a gas stove at some point and that front bonus area was a big plus. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

Just watched Oceanside, CA episode where the adult son was helping his mom purchase her own home. He was a sweetheart and not embarrassed to show his emotions. I have to admit I shed a tear or two when he cried. I agreed with their choice,  although they compromised on only 1 bath. She can add a gas stove at some point and that front bonus area was a big plus. 

I loved them! I wish all the buyers were that nice to each other! I liked at the end that he had valid reasons for why they didn't choose house #2 or #3. Also, they had no manufactured drama or silly demands. Her issue with the mirrors at night was a cultural thing so I give her a pass on it. I cracked up when they toured one of the bathrooms/closets and there were mirrors everywhere! They even joked about it. They were so easy going. You could definitely see the love and respect they had for each other. It was nice to see the other brother join them at the end. I want them to be my neighbors. ☺

• Love 15
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

What a lovely family!  Such a refreshing episode!  That woman raised a couple of gems.  They had a modest budget, were very reasonable about their wants/needs and, in the end, so very proud that she was able to realize her lifelong dream of owning a place of her own with help from her sons.  They were so adorable together, too.  Their interactions were so loving and funny and just heartwarming.  I was grinning ear to ear watching them look at houses.  I think they made the best choice, too and, imagine, someone who was willing to wait and save and make the changes she wanted as she could afford them!  How did they get on this show? The bonus room really was a great space, too.  The son, aside from being so loving and warm, was a real cutie too.  Probably my favorite episode ever. Wonderful people, modest budget, realistic expectations, what was not to love?

• Love 15
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

What a lovely family!  Such a refreshing episode!  That woman raised a couple of gems.  They had a modest budget, were very reasonable about their wants/needs and, in the end, so very proud that she was able to realize her lifelong dream of owning a place of her own with help from her sons.  They were so adorable together, too.  Their interactions were so loving and funny and just heartwarming.  I was grinning ear to ear watching them look at houses.  I think they made the best choice, too and, imagine, someone who was willing to wait and save and make the changes she wanted as she could afford them!  How did they get on this show? The bonus room really was a great space, too.  The son, aside from being so loving and warm, was a real cutie too.  Probably my favorite episode ever. Wonderful people, modest budget, realistic expectations, what was not to love?

One of the best episodes ever.  Great down to earth people.  HH needs more people like this.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Agree to all of this!!  She was super annoying when the husband/boyfriend was excited about watching movies with the kids in the nice finished basement and she complained because she wanted everyone upstairs with her.  Seriously?  And the stove had to be in the island because she didn't want her back to everyone while she was cooking.  But in true HH fashion, they or should I say SHE, picked the house with everything she whined about the most.  On a vain note, she needs to buy her clothes at least one size larger.  And if I never see a marriage proposal on HH again, that would be great!

She could literally crush her soon to be his new husband.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I hate that they have moved new episodes to 11 pm Eastern. Too late.

Agreed! Also has anyone else noticed that they no longer have new HH episodes On Demand? They stopped adding episodes for me a few weeks ago, which means I can't catch up on episodes the next day. Did they do this to everyone? I have Xfinity, if that matters.

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I wondered what was going on.  I guess DirecTVnow doesn't have the updated listings yet.  I checked last night and had a week's worth of cra* programming instead of HH.  They still have the show listed for 10P/1A ET, and the DVR is recording dreadful programs.

I am not liking AT ALL the way the new owners of HGTV are handling this show.  All the re-purposed nonsense, kicking the narrator aside.  I know that Discovery is known for being bargain basement cheap, from production to promotion, but really, how much are they saving by ditching the narrator and re-tooling a couple episodes a week?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Agreed, I loved this one.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Sorry it won't work for you, but thanks for posting this -- I haven't watched in eons because it's on at the same time as Jeopardy! (I'm on the West coast, but get the East coast feed, so HH was airing at 7:00), but now that it's on at 8:00 I can start tuning in again from time to time.  And probably get promptly annoyed at all the usual things and wonder why the hell I'm watching, but that's what this place is for.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, tvrox said:

Agreed! Also has anyone else noticed that they no longer have new HH episodes On Demand? They stopped adding episodes for me a few weeks ago, which means I can't catch up on episodes the next day. Did they do this to everyone? I have Xfinity, if that matters.

I watched the Oceanside episode yesterday On Demand on Xfinity.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I watched the Oceanside episode yesterday On Demand on Xfinity.

Darn,  guess I'm just unlucky. Thanks for letting me know!

• Love 1

Thanks for the heads up on them moving new HH all over different time slots. I enjoyed watching it at 10 pm as a wind down. I could record it, but it occurs to me that it is not must watch TV, just something to get my brain to veg out so I can go to sleep. I'll check the schedule daily.

• Love 1

I liked the 3rd house in the Denver episode.  Evidently the low ceilings were a drawback they couldn't overcome.  Who thinks it's a great idea to install a garage door in a living room?  I think a folding wall of windows would have been more attractive and practical.  

• Love 4

Astoria, NY episode tonight. Was the husband a full time comedian? Was that his only job? Lord, he was bad. The wife certainly laughed at his dumb jokes, but they were awful. Those first two places were dumps and they chose one of them. They plan to rent out the steep driveway and then what else? Storage area? Or living area? It looked like a grim existence to me, even with renovations in progress. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Astoria, NY episode tonight. Was the husband a full time comedian? Was that his only job? Lord, he was bad. The wife certainly laughed at his dumb jokes, but they were awful. Those first two places were dumps and they chose one of them. They plan to rent out the steep driveway and then what else? Storage area? Or living area? It looked like a grim existence to me, even with renovations in progress. 

Definitely didn't get the full story on where their money came from. Million dollar plus budget - from where?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Definitely didn't get the full story on where their money came from. Million dollar plus budget - from where?

I didn't get where the money came from either, but I wasn't paying close attention during the first few minutes. Maybe a huge inheritance? If you had that much money for a property, why not move out a little further and get something nicer for your budget and where you wouldn't have to rent out your driveway or downstairs for some stranger's junk.  I just could not fathom moving into that place they chose. It looked like a total gut job. Did you see the black (from filth) bathtub??? 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

I didn't get where the money came from either, but I wasn't paying close attention during the first few minutes. Maybe a huge inheritance? If you had that much money for a property, why not move out a little further and get something nicer for your budget and where you wouldn't have to rent out your driveway or downstairs for some stranger's junk.  I just could not fathom moving into that place they chose. It looked like a total gut job. Did you see the black (from filth) bathtub??? 

Certainly he didn't get that money from being a standup comedian..

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, laredhead said:

I liked the 3rd house in the Denver episode.  Evidently the low ceilings were a drawback they couldn't overcome.  Who thinks it's a great idea to install a garage door in a living room?  I think a folding wall of windows would have been more attractive and practical.  

Totally agree, while I liked the idea of fully opening the access area, the hardware fittings on the interior of that garage door looked strange in that living area.

• Love 4
(edited)

I really liked the couple in Astoria.  For once, we saw a married couple who didn't want different types of houses.  No fighting over a Colonial or a Craftsman.  They just wanted a home of their own for their family.  They were nice people.  Too bad that houses are so extremely expensive in the NYC area.  I hope they were able to renovate that house without having to go more deeply in debt. 

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 6
On 5/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, Pickles said:

OMG, they were dumps, weren’t they? 😮 Million dollar dumps! After going on and on about needing to have a rental unit to help with the mortgage, they decide to make the legal for dual occupancy dump a single family dwelling. Do people up there really rent out storage space in their homes to people?

• Love 5
On 5/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, laredhead said:

Agree. And the ceilings weren't THAT low. That glass 'garage' door in the townhouse they bought is going to be very cold in the winter in Denver.

JMHO, but I thought the Denver couple was one of the most mismatched pairs I've ever seen on House Hunters. I can't help but wonder how long that relationship will last. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

JMHO, but I thought the Denver couple was one of the most mismatched pairs I've ever seen on House Hunters. I can't help but wonder how long that relationship will last. 

My first impression was that the husband (boyfriend?) was gay, but then I wondered if I was jumping to a hasty conclusion just because he was stylish and didn’t boss his wife around. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

My first impression was that the husband (boyfriend?) was gay, but then I wondered if I was jumping to a hasty conclusion just because he was stylish and didn’t boss his wife around. 

They weren't married. I don't understand unmarried couples buying houses together. Hopefully they had a good attorney write up some sort of ownership agreement in case they break up and don't actually "take their relationship to the next level."

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

They weren't married. I don't understand unmarried couples buying houses together. Hopefully they had a good attorney write up some sort of ownership agreement in case they break up and don't actually "take their relationship to the next level."

Even if they do get married, depending on how the deed is written they're going to have things changed.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

OMG, they were dumps, weren’t they? 😮 Million dollar dumps! After going on and on about needing to have a rental unit to help with the mortgage, they decide to make the legal for dual occupancy dump a single family dwelling. Do people up there really rent out storage space in their homes to people?

If I had to live in Astoria, I would be depressed every day. That much money for those houses, to live in that location with traffic and crappy weather? No. Way. For that money you could buy a nice house in Georgia AND a beach condo in the Caymans. I count myself lucky that I’m not from there and have no reason to move there. That was one of the saddest HH episodes ever for us. 

• Love 9

Godspeed to the Astoria couple! They both seemed so Zen and even-tempered about what looked like a nightmare home to me. (Not that the others were any better.) They seemed dedicated to the city lifestyle, and I'd like to see the reno on a WATN ep.

The son and mom in southern CA (from last week) - I cannot find enough up-votes to give them. That kid was sweet, genuine, and HOT - if he doesn't have a current gf/bf, I have to think he'll have suitors lining up at the door. (And I was relieved they did not get the manufactured home, per John Oliver.)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ottis said:

If I had to live in Astoria, I would be depressed every day. That much money for those houses, to live in that location with traffic and crappy weather? No. Way. For that money you could buy a nice house in Georgia AND a beach condo in the Caymans. I count myself lucky that I’m not from there and have no reason to move there. That was one of the saddest HH episodes ever for us. 

Remember the couple who bought a gorgeous historic mansion in, I believe, St. Louis for about half what the HHs paid for that  Astoria dump? The one guy was the “Sunday Fun day car” guy.

• Love 5

Minnesota Couple:  I’m late I know just catching up on the TiVo.  So the husband, who theoretically lives in Minneapolis, says that the house with small bedrooms, limited living space would work because the kids can just go outside. What is he smoking?  For at least 5 months of the year there is limited time to be outside without you know freezing to death.  It was -25 last winter.  You can’t send children out in that weather.  And if you do they won’t be having fun and running around those 6 acres. 

• Love 3

The couple last night. I can't even remember where they were buying? Was it in NY state somewhere? The wife was beyond overbearing and obnoxious. I have to hope she was just acting that way for the episode. The husband seemed very easy going. They were going to put a pool in, because their young son loved doing cannonballs. Okay. I guess he was used to having a pool, so would be deprived if he had to do without. Did they ever say what the couple did for a living?

• Love 3
On 5/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Kohola3 said:

We all lived into adulthood without any PTSD from the horrendous situation of having only one bathroom.

On The Kids Are Alright [sic], it's a family of two parents and eight boys and one bathroom in the 1970s.  In this week's episode, one of the kids is banging on the bathroom door, saying, "You know the rules.  If you can't get it done in two minutes, go to the gas station."

On 5/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, laredhead said:

Anyone notice that she drove in all of the house viewing scenes?  Don't think I've ever seen that before on HH.  Maybe he doesn't like driving. 

I almost always drive when it's Mr. Outlier and me.  It's not that he doesn't like driving; he's actually a driving enthusiast.  It's that he doesn't like listening to me tell him how to drive.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 PM, laredhead said:

I love the concept of being able to open an entire wall to the outside, making the living area indoor/outdoor.  But I've always seen it open to a back yard, or other area that's not perched above the common driveway for your complex.  I bristle when people complain about lack of privacy just because windows or others' back yards exist, but even I wouldn't want my whole living room open to a public area like that.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The couple last night. I can't even remember where they were buying? Was it in NY state somewhere? The wife was beyond overbearing and obnoxious. I have to hope she was just acting that way for the episode. The husband seemed very easy going. They were going to put a pool in, because their young son loved doing cannonballs. Okay. I guess he was used to having a pool, so would be deprived if he had to do without. Did they ever say what the couple did for a living?

They were looking in Long Island.  Wife was definitely overbearing and also wish they had said what they did for a living.  Think the husband was on Wall Street because the realtor said that the husband told him he had a good year, either that or a fellow realtor.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, cameron said:

They were looking in Long Island.  Wife was definitely overbearing and also wish they had said what they did for a living.  Think the husband was on Wall Street because the realtor said that the husband told him he had a good year, either that or a fellow realtor.

Yes, it sounded like the husband had some sort of commission based job.  The wife was beyond annoying with her demands for a minimum of 5 bedrooms and her insistence that they needed 'an office, a playroom AND a guestroom' in their home, no matter what, and, apparently, none of those spaces could do double duty.  She said the office was for her, not clear what she did that she needed dedicated office space all to herself.

I thought it was the height of pretentious parenting to insist that one had to have a swimming pool because their son, who looked to be about 5, liked to do cannonballs into the pool at their current home and it would be cruel to deprive him if the new house didn't have one.  And her derisive snort when the realtor pointed out the nearby PUBLIC pool at one house and suggested they could use that.  Not to mention her complete dismissal of the communal play area in the Manhattan apartment building, her children do NOT play well with others.  Well, maybe they would if their mother wasn't so obnoxious about it.  No one should be proud that their pre-school age kids require a private pool and play room.

• Love 13