Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

5 minutes ago

Is anyone else watching the sound healer from LA? I just don't understand her insistence on having the bathroom and kitchen outside. I know it's LA, but there're gonna be times you don't want to flash your bits to the local llamas.

Yes, and what a nut. At one point she said "call me crazy" and my husband and I looked at each other and said how that was a gimme. What the hell is a sound therapist?

• Love 2

In my day we'd have called her a hippie. She definitely was missing a screw or two. I liked the bee hive best if you're gonna go small but I was feeling claustrophobic just watching.

How does she cook when it rains and I could picture a bear swiping at her while she sat on the bowl.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 3

In my day we'd have called her a hippie. She definitely was missing a screw or two. I liked the bee hive best if you're gonna go small but I was feeling claustrophobic just watching.

How does she cook when it rains and I coukd picture a bear swiping at her while she sat on the bowl.

I was thinking...mountain lion.  I would not want to walk outside in the middle of the night to use the loo.  You also have no idea what might be curled up inside the potty.....in the dark.  :shudders:

• Love 2

I thought the yurt seemed pretty cool but I hated the way she decorated it. Oh well. I will say that this tiny house angle managed to lure my boyfriend into watching House Hunters for the first time (he usually just drifts away when I turn it on) so that's good. But yeah, she was a lot to take. 

Geez, she did the wingspan thing. (Look how small this is.)

For the cost of some of these places, you could purchase a mobile home, even a double-wide, an RV, a pre-fab home. And get more room.

One of the homes looked like a mud tunnel (in a way, I guess it was), and another looked like a parking lot hot dog stand. Or a concession stand at a fair. Or a dollhouse. Or a dog house for doting masters.

The first couple, at least the husband, seemed like he wanted to try this social experiment and his wife went along. They certainly cited good reasons for giving it a shot. This woman just seemed like she was making an effort to be create a persona. I guess she was born 40 years too late.

• Love 2

The "sound healer" seemed like such an idiot.  The skylight on her (used) yurt didn't look securely fastened when they showed a closeup - I wonder how much it leaked when she had her first huge rainstorm.  And we didn't see any storage for her apparently extensive wardrobe of teeny, ill-fitting dresses when they did the "after" shots.  And I assume we didn't see those two friends in the after footage because she stiffed the "real estate agent" out of any commission by buying the used yurt and getting the land at an auction.  Usually the HH is having some awkward housewarming party in the after footage.

This is a reference for the olds, but did anyone else think she looked like Catherine O'Hara doing a character on SCTV?

Edited by Crisopera

The "sound healer" seemed like such an idiot.  The skylight on her (used) yurt didn't look securely fastened when they showed a closeup - I wonder how much it leaked when she had her first huge rainstorm.  And we didn't see any storage for her apparently extensive wardrobe of teeny, ill-fitting dresses when they did the "after" shots.  And I assume we didn't see those two friends in the after footage because she stiffed the "real estate agent" out of any commission by buying the used yurt and getting the land at an auction.  Usually the HH is having some awkward housewarming party in the after footage.

Would you want to spend any time with her at a party? :)

This episode was just one, long eye-roll.

Yes, wonder how the yurt is holding up with all of the rain in California right now.  It's probably OK with the weather they usually have, but it doesn't look very substantial for permanent housing over a long period of time. 

Did anyone else find themselves thinking about the story of the Three Little Pigs? I found myself thinking about the big, bad wolf leveling those places with just a sneeze. Also, security. I know we're all vulnerable to criminals. But when you're tucked away in some semi-isolated wooded area in a place that seems so flimsily constructed, I don't know...And going outdoors at night to take a leak? Are you out of your mind?

• Love 1

And going outdoors at night to take a leak? Are you out of your mind?

Ha.  Yeah, I won't even go camping other than in a motorhome because I am not spending even a weekend having to do that, so I am certainly not going to sign up to live that way.

I did want to see these episodes just for the much-needed glimpse of something different on the show, however.  Unfortunately, I've missed them thus far.

And my one experience with a composting toilet was a very pleasant surprise; I walked in expecting to have to hold my nose, only ... nothing.  And it was rather fascinating to me how it worked. 

• Love 1

The LA woman was what we used to refer to as a hippie, weirdo freak. I looked up what a sound therapist does and that, too, sounded freaky. It's supposed to clear your center and clean your chakra---whatever that means.

When she said she was claustrophobic in the one bedroom I was yelling "You wanted a tiny house. What do you expect?" I also thought she sounded freaky when she said she used tiny eating utensils. Who does that after the age of 2?

Tonight's family of 6 in a tiny house was interesting and they did seem the most normal so far, except for wanting to shove six people into a 600sqft house. Their road trip sounded really great, though. But, they seemed that they were going to expand the house they chose, so there goes the tiny house. And I loved their realtor who said they're crazy to live in a place like the first house.

I get minimalism and not having a mortgage, but living in a 600 sf house with six people would be really hard for me. I felt sorry for the 14 year old daughter in tonight's show. Most kids that age need privacy and personal space. Also, six people and one tiny bathroom? That should make for some interesting mornings! It just seems so extreme to me. To me, there's a lot of reasonable middle ground between a 600 sf house and a 2400 sf house for a family of six. How about a well-designed 1000 sf where you have a bit more privacy and living space?

• Love 4

The whole Tiny House Hunters thing, like Island Hunters, gets gimmicky fast.  I'll admit to not paying very close attention, but the episodes seem to have been mostly about people just wanting to live in really small houses for no particularly coherent reason.  An American family of 6 looking at sub-600 sq/ft houses is just stupid, as their own realtor more or less conceded.  Especially since they were complaining about the tight spaces.  It would make more sense if they were showing somebody trying to find a place in Manhattan or Tokyo or London.  You know, a situation where a tiny home was a necessary trade-off for location or price instead of just the hook you're using to get on TV. 

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that the dad was going to build a studio or office or whatever out back for himself.  And I do think they were going too extreme.  Downsize from 2400 sq ft to 1200, not 600.  And I loved their realtor, who obviously thought they were nuts.

Edited by camom

6 people, 600 square feet.   A teen, a tween, and toddler twins.  I'm speechless.  That sounds like torture to me.  Torture.

Did I hear right and there was no sleeping space for the older girls?  I think they were looking into that low attic filled with insulation to see if ti could be a loft?  They would probably need to raise the roof somehow.  They should just add another floor. 

I loved their realtor. 

Edited by izabella

Did I hear right and there was no sleeping space for the older girls?  I think they were looking into that low attic filled with insulation to see if ti could be a loft?  They would probably need to raise the roof somehow.  They should just add another floor. 

That was an attic crawlspace.  It's not habitable and isn't meant to be.  So yeah, I remember the dad peeking up and saying something about how there was a ton of space up there but no, dad, you cannot have someone living in it.  You'd have to drywall everything, to begin with, but there weren't any windows and I'm positive it would violate the applicable building codes to try to convert it into a sleeping space. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else find themselves thinking about the story of the Three Little Pigs? I found myself thinking about the big, bad wolf leveling those places with just a sneeze. Also, security. I know we're all vulnerable to criminals. But when you're tucked away in some semi-isolated wooded area in a place that seems so flimsily constructed, I don't know...And going outdoors at night to take a leak? Are you out of your mind?

As a child in the 60's, my family would visit my grandparents who lived in the beautiful hills in Arkansas. They had an outdoor toilet several yards from the house. I can testify to everyone that it was a terrifying experience to use a facility like that. In the daytime, you could watch out for snakes and animals, but at night you could only imagine what was out there. We usually arrived on a Friday night and then left for home on Sunday afternoon. I literally spent the whole time holding my bladder until we got to a gas station back in town. It was a wonderful place to visit and play in, but, just WOW, not a place for a "city" girl to live.

• Love 1

Every time one of the Tiny HH says "Gee, it's so small" when referencing the size of the rooms, I just want to slap them upside the head and kick them in their collective asses.  Geeze, you want a freaking tiny house then you complain the rooms are too small?  What's wrong with these people?

I hope they do a Where Are They Now with this show and I want to see how many are still in their Tiny House.  Probably only the freak woman.

• Love 3

Every time one of the Tiny HH says "Gee, it's so small" when referencing the size of the rooms, I just want to slap them upside the head and kick them in their collective asses.  Geeze, you want a freaking tiny house then you complain the rooms are too small?  What's wrong with these people?

I hope they do a Where Are They Now with this show and I want to see how many are still in their Tiny House.  Probably only the freak woman.

I am LOVING this week, what a bunch of douches except for the orchard owners who did a tiny house right.  I too am looking forward to a Where Are They Now update on this.  I would imagine the 1st couple are divorced, the Cali idiot got washed away in a mud slide, the family in the 600 square foot house (with no garage in upstate NY) got trapped in a huge snowstorm and couldn't get out (hey our vay-cay was fun let's LIVE LIKE THIS PERMANENTLY) and gave up their "dream."  The orchard owners are fine and I am looking forward to tonight's episode because she sounds like another douche nutcase.

I thought the pear orchard owners are the only ones so far to embrace and carry out the small house living concept in a way that makes sense.  The floor plan of the house is workable for 2 people and the house is about the same size as 1 bedroom apartment in many places.  I really liked the style of the house and after tossing a lot of things I have stashed in closets and that I will never use again, I could see myself living in that house.  I would never try to cram a family of 6 in it though, just myself and maybe one other person.  I'm still not over the family of 6 trying to live in a 600 sq foot house because the wife thought it was fun to drive across the country in a mini-van as one big happy family.  I really, really want that family to be feature on a future Where Are They Now episode.

• Love 3

Every time one of the Tiny HH says "Gee, it's so small" when referencing the size of the rooms, I just want to slap them upside the head and kick them in their collective asses. 

I hate the ones who say, "Oh, this might be TOO MUCH room for us"  even more.

Really?  No, I don't think an additional 100 square feet is "too much" in a 500 sf house.  Maybe if they said "we can't afford to pay for the extra square footage" I wouldn't want to smack them.

• Love 1

I'm still not over the family of 6 trying to live in a 600 sq foot house because the wife thought it was fun to drive across the country in a mini-van as one big happy family.  I really, really want that family to be feature on a future Where Are They Now episode.

You might find them sooner on the ID channel, maybe "Who (the Bleep) Did I Marry?"

• Love 2

It was a wonderful place to visit and play in, but, just WOW, not a place for a "city" girl to live.

Fellow "city girl" here.

Not only did I hate the outhouse, my aunt thought I might want to watch her kill the chicken we were having for dinner.

I assured them all that I did NOT 1/eat dead chickens, and 2/ drink cow's milk.

The whole Tiny House Hunters thing, like Island Hunters, gets gimmicky fast.

Truther, I'm just now catching up to you. This show almost seems like a spoof of House Hunters.

blanchowens, the California lady will mysteriously disappear one night, never to be seen again. She, too, will be featured on the ID channel.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 3

Set the DVR to record last night's HH Pop'd, but the episode was not what was advertised and it was not a "pop'd" one.  I have wondered if HGTV advises the participants that they would be airing their episode as "pop'd" at a later date and what the participants thought of that.  While some of us snark a bit at some of the HH's, that's a bit different than the network doing it.       

• Love 1

Yes, wonder how the yurt is holding up with all of the rain in California right now.  It's probably OK with the weather they usually have, but it doesn't look very substantial for permanent housing over a long period of time. 

The image of "Sunny California" is just that, IMHO - merely an image.  Haven't checked the official weather stats but In normal years, they probably have a few large storms over several days each, even in the LA area.  In fact, LA friends tell me they have 2 seasons, i.e. the fire season and mudslide season.

I am LOVING this week, what a bunch of douches except for the orchard owners who did a tiny house right.  I too am looking forward to a Where Are They Now update on this.  I would imagine the 1st couple are divorced, the Cali idiot got washed away in a mud slide, the family in the 600 square foot house (with no garage in upstate NY) got trapped in a huge snowstorm and couldn't get out (hey our vay-cay was fun let's LIVE LIKE THIS PERMANENTLY) and gave up their "dream."  The orchard owners are fine and I am looking forward to tonight's episode because she sounds like another douche nutcase.

Set the DVR to record last night's HH Pop'd, but the episode was not what was advertised and it was not a "pop'd" one.  I have wondered if HGTV advises the participants that they would be airing their episode as "pop'd" at a later date and what the participants thought of that.  While some of us snark a bit at some of the HH's, that's a bit different than the network doing it.       

The WATN episodes contain a small amount of new footage from each homeowner/(s) so I doubt past participants would appear to let us know that things went terribly awry.  Human nature being what it is ...

OTOH, tptb own the HH footage so they can do with it what they like.  Haven't seen Pop'd yet but it sounds like someone adds a running commentary to an existing HH/HHI episode so no new footage, correct?  Agree, I, too, hope that the production company notifies them / requests permission,  as a courtesy.  Legally, however, they probably don't have to.  Gee, would any of us ever give such a consent, lol?

Wow, what a racket the HH franchise has become.  How much longer can tptb squeeze the last drops of blood, aka profit, out of this obviously profitable, proverbial turnip???

OMG, the San Diego episode last night! Wife who wanted "everything new," especially the toilets. I consider myself somewhat germaphobic, but let's get real: How can you go through life only using your own toilet? Does she never go on vacation? Visit friends? Have a call of nature at work?

Then there was her general attitude: "Where's my Mission style house? Where's my hardwood floor?" Ugh. You're looking in California and your budget is pretty low. You are going to have to settle for less than than "your" preferred amenities. (Of course, in the end, she did settle.)

The way she talked to her husband, totally condescending, did not bode well for them. Or at least, for him. Yeah, I get it that cigar smoke isn't pleasant. Insisting he smoke outside is perfectly fine, but don't make him feel like a dirtbag for doing it.

Ugh, just ugh.

• Love 2

I saw that Where Are They Now episode and was surprised that the Wisconsin wife seemed to be happy and content living on the property.  Good for her I guess but I wonder who the kids will play with.  I also saw the couple in France who bought the fixer upper in the country,  They gave an update six years later.  Talk about a money pit.  The renovations were OK but I just wasn't impressed with the property.

HH Where Are They Now tonight featured the Wisconsin couple there has been a lot of discussion about previously.  He wanted 10 acres in the middle of no where and no neighbors and she wanted to be close to their jobs in town.  He won and over the past year several posts have mentioned the episode and how odd it seemed at the time.  Tonight they showed all of the improvements they have made and she seemed to be very happy living out in the country on their 10 acres of land.  The follow up episode had a totally different vibe than the first one.  Another couple featured was the Bentonville, Arkansas husband & wife who generated a lot of discussion when their initial episode was aired.  Guess what?   He was wearing red shorts in part of the follow up episode.  During the original show, he wore red pants.  They both admitted they had no idea what they were getting into when they decided to buy the fixer.        

Always amazed that viewers expect HH participants to split after their move - JMHO but I don't believe anyone truly knows or understands what's going on within a relationship unless they're actually in it.  Besides that, how can we judge the status of anyone's relationship on the basis of 22 minutes of dramatic footage, highly edited to emphasize conflict?  JMHO, again, but they'd already made that decision, together, to move outside of town so I'm sure they'd previously figured out their kids' social needs.

BTW, they hadn't reno'd much of the house but I had the sense they'd agreed to shoot add'l footage for WATN to correct the husband's poor edit.  The wife was laying it on thickly, making comments about her "sweet husband".  Their f&f must have noticed (the couple, too, probably) that the husband came off as an ogre during the original HH episode!  That could also explain, laredhead, why the episode had a different "vibe" when compared to their original HH episode.

Definitely agree, BTW, about the older couple's (preteen daughter) reno to the French farmhouse.  $230K was far too much $$$ to sink into that place, IMHO.  Nice place, maybe a little too rustic and not worth the $$$, IMHO.

Edited by BearCat49

I saw that WATN episode with the Wisconsin couple, and color me surprised that she's still with him and that he seemed "normal" compared to how fixated he was in the original episode.

I don't know what she's been doing all this time, but to me it seemed clear that decorating was not her forte.  That was one bland house.  Am I mistaken or did they use the same shade of blue as either the color or accent wall in almost every room?  I thought her "spa" bathroom was ugly.

Just a bit more (ok, call it a ton more!) about the WI episode:

Very surprised that nobody seemed to notice (or post?) about the WI woman's biggest design faux-pas (IMHO) or choice (to some home owners) to forgo painting out the woodwork.  I love woodwork, too and wouldn't always decide to paint it out. 

For this house, however, all they basically did was paint.  (The HH narrator kept implying they'd reno'd the entire home but it wasn't much more than a paint job, IMHO.)  Instead of painting it out, they simply cut in around all the old, honey-maple oak woodwork.  Ugh!  I'm sorry - the house looked like an old home with an incomplete paint job. 

Say what you will about painting woodwork - if you want your house to feel new, fresh and clean and compete with new home subdivisions (if you plan to sell at some point ), I'd seriously consider painting out all woodwork., preferably in an appropriate shade of white.

WRT the blue color, she didn't use it in every room.  (BTW, her blue shade appeared fairly warm in tone, on my screen at least.)  Although I don't believe the camera panned every room, it appeared they'd used blue on about 1/2 the rooms' walls and yellow on the other 1/2.  (To be clear, that means about 1/2 the rooms were 100% blue and the other 1/2, 100% yellow.)  No, in general, she didn't use accent walls.  One wall in the nursery may have had something special but that's it.

I'm not a matchy-matchy person but, for example, in the master, that gave them blue walls, honey-maple woodwork, a newly purchased dark wood bedroom set plus one add'l shade somewhere that escapes me. (??)

Thinking about it now, it almost makes me wonder if they painted to get on the show, claiming this complete reno when the true purpose was to correct her "sweet" husband's foul image, lol!

Their major project, that "spa" bathroom, was incomplete, IMHO.  That's the best, nicest way to describe it.  If you'd invested in a plumber to install a spa tub and separate shower, gutting the previous tub/shower combo, why not gut and update the rest of the bathroom?  Yes, perhaps the paramedic, sweet husband, did the work but it's doubtful.  That'd be a large, complex plumbing job, IMHO.

So, on one side of the bathroom, you had the Japanese style spa tub plus typical walk-in (IIRC), updated shower.  Both had some sort of dark wood or dark tile surround.  Then, on the other side of the fairly small mbr, the honey-maple oak vanity, old fixture, sink, countertop, large mirror, retro (but prob not in a good way) light and used toilet all remained.  Nope, nothing, absolutely nothing on that entire side of the small bathroom, was changed.  Well, at least the two tones of wood kinda' coordinated with the mismatched mbr itself, right?  !! 

Hey, it's fine if they're comfortable cleaning and using the sellers' toilet but if it's more than a few years old, why not update to low-flow while the plumber's on site?  It's an easy job, usually and the new toilets are inexpensive, too.   And, let's face it, most couples their age want double sinks if nothing else but to separate the wife's lotions and potions.  Also, again, it helps the home compete with newer homes.  This will probably not be their forever home.

The kitchen, unfortunately, was more of the same.  Yes, they'd updated the appliances (that is, purchased them) to the vaunted stainless steel.  To their credit, IIRC, they did select nicer, larger, more expensive models.  (They weren't the cheap, knock-off versions to allow someone to boast about their s/s!)  So, they'd done the old kitchen, right?  Nope, you guessed it.  They retained the ceramic sink (awful) with some sort of red, plastic fixture (even more awful). 

The old, existing cabinets appeared to be stock but that's o.k. - they looked alright.  But that kitchen sink fixture?  Please, please people.  Again, you had the plumber there.  Or, the guy certainly could have handled that.  Why not change out the sink while you're at it?  Ok, how about updating the island countertop? 

If they'd done those few things besides purchasing the appliances (it had none, BTW), that kitchen would feel o.k. for another 5 years or so.  Throw in painting out the stock cabinetry and updating its hardware and it'd probably feel great and completely updated for 5 years, IMHO.  But leaving that red, plastic kitchen sink fixture?  No, a thousand times, no. 

If anyone knows these WI people, please, please, send them a message.  Ok?  I didn't doubt their relationship, right?  So, they can do at least one thing - please, please.

And, during the postscript, i.e. final scene of WATN, they discussed add'l projects the wife wanted to place on "sweet" husband's list.  You're right - it didn't include completion of the bathroom or a minor update to that kitchen.  In fact, they didn't mention those rooms, IIRC!

End of design rant.

I realize she had a baby and that they're certainly not required to do anything (that I know of) to appear on WATN.  No, this wasn't HHR.  It's just - why claim you've done the entire house?  No problem if they wanted to simply discuss their work-in-progress.  Have to conclude that yes, that's all they intend to do.  Their choice - whatever.  The final analysis - meh, just meh.   

If nothing else, I'm glad they apparently like it.  And if their main goal is focusing on their family, that's terrific, too.  Good luck to them.  If they need to sell at some point, I hope it's a terrific RE market!  Otherwise, they'll be known as the old house with the red, plastic fixture and nice tub ...  lol

Edited by BearCat49

I have a good friend who is a realtor and she swears that many young buyers seem to be taking tips from HH's and their entitled attitudes.  She says she spends a lot of time bursting their bubbles as to what $200,000 really buys in our area, and it's not a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with granite counters, SS appliances, spa bath and whatever else is on their wish list.  

I finally caught the episode of the SD couple. I read posts about her behaviour, but I was still amazed about the way she acted. She has to be in the top 1 percent of HH worst clients. Her demands concerning the toilets/tubs NOT being used is just WOW. Do you think she's never had a nature call while shopping or visiting friends? Her F &F must be horrified. No wonder the husband wants to turn the garage into cigar smoking space. He really just wants to be in a place where she won't be. I would like to see a WATN episode about them. I wonder if they will still be together in 5 yrs or so. What's the odds for their future? Please, please HGTV,do a follow-up on this gem.

• Love 3

cathy7304: No wonder the husband wants to turn the garage into cigar smoking space. He really just wants to be in a place where she won't be.

By George, I think you've got it! Guy is smarter than I thought.

Even staged as it is, I sometimes wonder how many of these realtors become drunks because of having to deal with morons as seen on HH on a regular basis. They must have the patience of Job.

Agree, realtors have always complained about moronic house hunters, long before HH first appeared on the scene.  Personally, I believe anyone who deals with the public on a regular basis must have the patience of Job.  (Unfortunately, full-time realtors can't typically exist by only working with their own tight-knit group of f&f* so they're forced to deal with the public, including a certain % of morons.) 

*OTOH, it's not always easy doing business with family, is it?  lol ...

Edited by BearCat49

I have a good friend who is a realtor and she swears that many young buyers seem to be taking tips from HH's and their entitled attitudes.  She says she spends a lot of time bursting their bubbles as to what $200,000 really buys in our area, and it's not a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with granite counters, SS appliances, spa bath and whatever else is on their wish list.  

Your realtor friend says they "seem to be taking tips from HH's"?  So she doesn't know for sure that they're have HH viewers?  None of her clients actually fessed up, spontaneously (lol),  to viewing HH as a guilty pleasure?

I'm curious, laredhead.  Does she specialize in first-time buyers or working with a certain demographic?  If so, do they happen to be an age group where their parents may have coddled them, e.g. no winners or losers in life, everybody gets a prize, helicopter parenting, etc.?

Wouldn't actual HH viewers enjoy comparing notes, for fun, about HH with their RL realtor - anybody agree?  Or, would they avoid admitting that they're hooked on a cable reality television program?  HH isn't a documentary but wouldn't most HH viewers at least understand that RE prices vary significantly, depending on location?

Edited by BearCat49

I finally caught the episode of the SD couple. I read posts about her behaviour, but I was still amazed about the way she acted. She has to be in the top 1 percent of HH worst clients. Her demands concerning the toilets/tubs NOT being used is just WOW. Do you think she's never had a nature call while shopping or visiting friends? Her F &F must be horrified. No wonder the husband wants to turn the garage into cigar smoking space. He really just wants to be in a place where she won't be. I would like to see a WATN episode about them. I wonder if they will still be together in 5 yrs or so. What's the odds for their future? Please, please HGTV,do a follow-up on this gem.

The current WATN format requires some add'l footage from the participants.  Would anyone return if their situation post-HH was anything but rosy?  Possibly to correct a bad edit, if that's their perception of the episode?  What do you think, cathy7304?

Always amazed that viewers expect HH participants to split after their move - JMHO but I don't believe anyone truly knows or understands what's going on within a relationship unless they're actually in it.  Besides that, how can we judge the status of anyone's relationship on the basis of 22 minutes of dramatic footage, highly edited to emphasize conflict?

Of course, viewers don't *know* what's going on with the lives of these HHers, but that doesn't mean one can't wonder or speculate or have an opinion about what they do see on TV.  JMHO, of course.

Back on topic:  I found it interesting that the couple searching for a house in Loudoun County, VA wouldn't name the town(s) they were looking in.  It definitely looked like western Loudoun where there's more land for the houses.  They're building a lot of huge McMansions out that way. 

• Love 1

Of course, viewers don't *know* what's going on with the lives of these HHers, but that doesn't mean one can't wonder or speculate or have an opinion about what they do see on TV.  JMHO, of course.

Agree, as viewers, we're allowed to speculate.  It's expected.  It's what we do here.  That said, the WI episode contained the familiar old saw:  one spouse prefers the country but the other spouse prefers the city.  JMHO but HH's use of the familiar plot signals manufactured drama, to me.  For that reason, I try to give the participants the benefit of the doubt and temper my reactions to the drama unless it's obvious that they've created the situation themselves. 

HH participants should understand that their words will be used against them by both tptb and the viewing public.  They signed up for their 15 minutes of fame and ceded complete control over the situation.  Unfortunately, like many viewers, some participants believe HH is more documentary than drama.  They don't understand that tptb can and will edit the numerous hours of footage provided to depict maximum drama and tension, even within their relationship. 

These people have regular lives, including work colleagues and kids.  They're not Kim K., purposely creating that tension and drama to financially benefit their family.  If the WI wife hadn't been shocked by their treatment on HH and faced subsequent consequences, I doubt she would have appeared on WATN, speaking repeatedly about her "sweet, sweet husband."

JMHO

Edited by BearCat49

I'm just dropping a friendly note to say that, as long as the posts are not racist, homophobic, or any of the red flag stuff, that participants on HH can be discussed. These folks know what they are signing up for, and as they make up the episode with their house hunting, it is the episodes which are discussed in the end.

Thanks, carry on, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

• Love 3

I simply do not understand the tiny house people. I would not feel safe living in a 250 square foot house in the middle of twelve acres. Can you say creepy? That does not seem the least bit safe to me. Plus, I would be killing my husband and then myself, because of the tiny space. We would be insane. And how easy is it to resell the tiny house after a couple of years when you realize you have made a major mistake?

• Love 4

I'm just dropping a friendly note to say that, as long as the posts are not racist, homophobic, or any of the red flag stuff, that participants on HH can be discussed. These folks know what they are signing up for, and as they make up the episode with their house hunting, it is the episodes which are discussed in the end.

Thanks, carry on, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

Agree, as viewers, we're allowed to speculate.  It's expected.  It's what we do here. 

Thanks, WendyCR72.  I obviously agree.  As I said above WRT speculating about HH participants, "It's what we do here."

And, as everyone knows, I certainly do more than my share, lol! 

Happy Holidays, everybody!

I simply do not understand the tiny house people. I would not feel safe living in a 250 square foot house in the middle of twelve acres. Can you say creepy? That does not seem the least bit safe to me. Plus, I would be killing my husband and then myself, because of the tiny space. We would be insane. And how easy is it to resell the tiny house after a couple of years when you realize you have made a major mistake?

Agree, Pickles.  It'll be interesting to see a selling program somewhere when a few of these people start unloading them.  Somehow, I have a feeling they might need to focus on the land value!