Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Bond

I don't know how I feel about the political shenanigans.  I like Eli but I'm not buying the Peter getting anywhere near the White House.  

The show, to its credit, isn't asking us to buy that. They're making it so Peter's doing what John Kasich is doing this election, or what Tim Pawlenty did in 2012 - running so the eventual nominee will pick them for VP. And it sort of works. Peter's a white male WASPy Midwestern governor, like Kasich and Pawlenty. Those are usually the kind of people who get chosen, especially if they're ambitious but dull, willing to stand in the background and shut up. 

Of course, no nominee, Hillary especially, would EVER pick someone with a hooker scandal, and multiple corruption scandals between the candidate and his wife. But the show is handwaving that part as fast as it can. But it's not asking us to believe Peter's running for President for real, thank goodness. 

Add me to this list of people who don't care when actors wear wigs. Most of them have wigs or extensions or hairpieces of some kind. 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 3

As usual, I am out of step with about everyone else.  I loved the premiere and thought it was a breath of fresh air after last season, which seemed so dreary.  I loved the story line with Eli and I love Margo Martindale (ever since I saw her on "Justified" for which she won an Emmy) and am looking forward to JDM (from "Supernatural" for me) and more Michael J. Fox -- I love sneaky Canning.  The Good Wife is one of my top DVR shows.  And to show just how out of step I am, I never realized that JM was wearing a wig -- but then I never realized that Meagan was wearing a wig in The Blacklist either.  

Finally! I'm with you on this. I like the show, I liked the premiere, I never cared about the stupid feud, I like Alicia and JM (but I'm not fond of the wig), and I'm glad the show is back, political storyline included. Go Eli!

• Love 4

In the past, I have not really noticed JM's wig very much (except to wonder when Alicia has time to get her hair trimmed and her roots touched up so frequently, as her hair ALWAYS looked the same), but last night, the wig was obvious and just plain bad.  Who thought going with a center part was a good idea? 

• Love 2

I've been reading a lot of different reviews of TGW, and nearly every single one has said that this will  probably be the last season for this show, as people are beginning to grow tired.  I'm kind of in that same camp.  

Please explain something to me, as I've just not been able to understand it.  OK, Alicia and Peter are still married, but they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, right?  BUT, does the general public know that they're married in name only, or do they think they're happily married?  It seems that whenever one needs the other in some public way, they appear together, but then they go off on their separate ways.  So, how will this help with Peter's upcoming campaign?   It sure doesn't seem like Alicia will want to go near Peter during this process and will let him twist in the wind.  

And with Peter's past, especially with women, how can he mount a serious campaign, especially now that he's alienated Eli, and we all know Eli knows all the secrets of Peter and his predilection for screwing around with women not his wife?  I would love to see Peter finally and completely destroyed by Eli.  

• Love 2

As usual, I am out of step with about everyone else.  I loved the premiere and thought it was a breath of fresh air after last season, which seemed so dreary.  I loved the story line with Eli and I love Margo Martindale (ever since I saw her on "Justified" for which she won an Emmy) and am looking forward to JDM (from "Supernatural" for me) and more Michael J. Fox -- I love sneaky Canning.  The Good Wife is one of my top DVR shows.  And to show just how out of step I am, I never realized that JM was wearing a wig -- but then I never realized that Meagan was wearing a wig in The Blacklist either.  

You wrote my post except for the Canning commentary. Margo Martindale, the Apple-Pie moonshine-making, dead-husband-clothes-wearing matriarch of the marijuana growing Bennet family who made the second season of Justified, my already all-time favorite TV show, pop off my screen??? I would watch her in anything. I'm so in on TGW now, just to see her character and Eli's scrapping--I could tell from their faces how much they are loving this development.

I actually felt like new blood was pumping through this show last night. Maybe the remainders of the original law firm need to just fade away and let the new storylines grow--Cary watching the boring old people was just boring. Goodbye to all of them (and I actually would send Michael J. Fox away too).

I didn't even realize there was a wig involved.... Hmmm.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3

I watched the episode again and, whether intentional or not, one of the best scenes to me was in the limo with Alicia and Ruth, when Alicia replies "So I can be rehabilitated?".  She turns and looks directly at the camera with a slight smirk on her face,  before altering her sightline out the window to her intended stop.  It was just a moment, and I don't know if she wanted to step out of character for an instant, but it was cool.

• Love 1

Margo Martindale, the Apple-Pie moonshine-making, dead-husband-clothes-wearing matriarch of the marijuana growing Bennet family who made the second season of Justified, my already all-time favorite TV show, pop off my screen??? I would watch her in anything.

As a huge Mardinale fan, I generally agree.  Someone upthread, however, mentioned that awful sitcom she was on the last year or so, The Millers, I think.  I personally try to pretend that never happened because, boyhowdy, that was an awful show that wasted so many good people, that even my appreciation for her as an actress couldn't make me watch.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

And come on . . . how realistic is it that Peter is RUNNING FOR BLOODY PRESIDENT (even if he doesn't intend on winning) and they're letting Alicia represent drug dealers and people they haven't vetted? If it's going to be such a big deal they have to rehab her image and make her an Ann Romney wifey, wouldn't they start with her job?

This has bugged me ever since Peter ran for governor. It just seems to me that with his history anytime he tried to run for anything there would be round the clock attack ads showing his mug shot, or a picture of him behind bars or in an orange jumpsuit. It seems crazy that he has had to hide the fact that his marriage is a sham, because that would damage him politically, but the fact that he did time for banging hookers/general corruption is apparently no big deal by comparison.

Also why is Howard still relevant. When he was original introduced he was a guy with a tiny amount of shares in the original firm, who basically never showed up at the office, but was brought back because his small percentage could break a tie over something. Considering how many times the main firm has changed names, restarted or whatever, how does he manage to have more power now?

Edited by Kel Varnsen

You wrote my post except for the Canning commentary. Margo Martindale, the Apple-Pie moonshine-making, dead-husband-clothes-wearing matriarch of the marijuana growing Bennet family who made the second season of Justified, my already all-time favorite TV show, pop off my screen??? I would watch her in anything. I'm so in on TGW now, just to see her character and Eli's scrapping--I could tell from their faces how much they are loving this development.

I actually felt like new blood was pumping through this show last night. Maybe the remainders of the original law firm need to just fade away and let the new storylines grow--Cary watching the boring old people was just boring. Goodbye to all of them (and I actually would send Michael J. Fox away too).

I didn't even realize there was a wig involved.... Hmmm.

I think I like MJF more than I like Canning -- and I am so looking forward to Eli and Margo (can't remember her character's name) going at each other.  

A bond court attorney substitutes in with no knowledge of the case and figures out that Selena, as a caregiver, is not allowed by state law to receive over $20,000 from the deceased, but David Lee - who deals with probate all the time - has no idea that that is the case? And the probate judge doesn't speak up about it, either?

• Love 4

No good lawyer counts on the judge not knowing the law.   Especially not one as sneaky as David Lee.   He would have covered it better than 'housekeeper."

I guess without Kalinda to make their cases for them, the attorneys are just lost.   After all she would have pointed out to them that housekeepers are often caregivers for invalids.    But then again,this is a firm that deposes their experts in the middle of trial when they are surprised at the testimony of the other side's experts.

• Love 5

I thought that this episode was (finally) a step in the right direction, especially with how messy and terrible S6 was. Absolutely loving Character Actress Margo Martindale's role and am beyond excited for the drama between her and Eli - I'm already in line for seconds before the fun really begins.

A few things I'm not too keen on though: Not loving how obvious the King's are in making Alicia and Lucca besties after the (ongoing!) debacle of Kalinda... and I am SUPER over how Queen Christine Baranski is still barely given anything to do on this show... but hey, get that paycheck, boo. Peter remains the absolute worst and I am ready for him to be destroyed - why can't he be ignored and pass his screentime to more worthy members of the cast? Is that really too much to ask?! 

I'm unsure of how I feel re: MJF becoming more of a main character. Out of all the guest stars they've had in recurring roles, I really have felt like he's one of the weakest in terms of the character he plays. I really actually liked that they were phasing him out (or so it seemed) while he was in the hospital last season. I guess I shouldn't have assumed such, as this show is basically resetting itself at the start of each new season. Silly me!

Also, what the hell was with the random quick scene with Cary and the young associate attorney? Is this a tease of a sexual discrimination issue that's ahead? I'm sick of him getting the shit end of the stick on this show. 

Edited by chad
  • Love 5

Seeing JDM and realizing his purpose made all my Matthew Goode bitterness come to the surface. Such a waste.

I can't figure out who this is -- one of the associates?  What does JDM stand for?

Who was the older woman sitting on Carey's left side during partner meetings?  Was she ever in an episode before, or just a random style-free older woman meant to show how dowdy the firm is?  (No insult intended to the actress, but to the producers who styled her like that.)

When did Grace become Radar with Zach's computer skilz? 

As long as they keep Eli around, I don't care what he is up to.  And he does best when he has a nemesis.

• Love 1

Well...that happened. 

It was alright. Nothing too gripping right now, but not exactly bad. I just feel like the writers are kind of running low on ideas, and we are nearing the bottom of the barrel. They are struggling with keeping all the characters relevant and giving them interesting stories. They are still interesting characters, but they seem to be hitting the same beats that they always do. 

Cary is having some kind of quarter life crisis? Thats the best you can give us? I love Cary, he`s become my favorite character, and he needs something more interesting to do. And by interesting, I do NOT mean more suffering and being miserable. But something better than "Cary wants to take selfies with the other kids instead of being stuck with the gross old people".

The new lawyer is clearly supposed to be the new Kalinda, except she is allowed to share screentime with Alicia. She seems alright so far, but she is no Kalinda.  

Always good to see Character Actress Margo Martindale pop up!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I can't figure out who this is -- one of the associates?  What does JDM stand for?

Who was the older woman sitting on Carey's left side during partner meetings?  Was she ever in an episode before, or just a random style-free older woman meant to show how dowdy the firm is?  (No insult intended to the actress, but to the producers who styled her like that.)

When did Grace become Radar with Zach's computer skilz? 

As long as they keep Eli around, I don't care what he is up to.  And he does best when he has a nemesis.

JDM is Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whom I know only as Joe DiMaggio in a recent mini-series about Marilyn Monroe.  He was shown only in the previews for next week. 

Apparently, Alicia will hire him as an investigator.

LOL at the Grace/Radar comparison!

Edited by Inquisitionist

Eh. It's possible to fanwank that David Lee knew, but was hoping Alicia (and Quin) wouldn't, and he'd sneak it by them. Which is exactly the sort of sleazy gross thing the character would do.

Why would David Lee even want the housekeeper introduced? If his client was the brother, the more people who show up with claims on the estate, the less money his client, and then he, gets.

• Love 3

Why would David Lee even want the housekeeper introduced? If his client was the brother, the more people who show up with claims on the estate, the less money his client, and then he, gets.

I found the introduction of the housekeeper remarkable confusing.  Wouldn't she have her own lawyer?  And all it did was to weaken the claim of the brother on several counts -- including that the housekeeper would have had plenty of time to play around with the Post-Its.  If the deceased was an invalid (as they said), it's not like she put up all the Post-Its and then died and then the house was locked up.  There was plenty of time for the housekeeper or anyone to move the Post-Its around.  I thought it was odd that the executor made such a big deal about unlocking the house for the first time since the mother had died. 

• Love 3

Not a bad way to reset the show w/Alicia starting over.  I liked seeing Bridget Regan (brunette this time) again as the client - she pops up on a lot of TV shows as well as Broadway actor Danny Burstein (who worked w/Alan Cumming in Cabaret) as the adhesive expert.

Yes, Alicia's wig was more distracting than usual, but so was Eli's wig pre-haircut.  Thank the TV Gods that they allowed Alan Cumming to wear his own hair. Fits the "new" Eli.  I like seeing him all fired up and loved it when he told Peter off.

Poor Cary. Even though he's no longer in legal jeopardy and Kalinda is no longer yanking his chain, he's in an odd situation. He's stuck in the middle as partner/owner but identifies with the younger lawyers than the old guard.  Not sure where they are going with the gay lawyer, but I want to see Cary doing well.

So JDM (fresh from Extant) makes his debut next week and we get Mamie Gummer back.  I prefer Grace (who was on Extant) or maybe it's just Mamie's character I find so annoying.

I don't understand this new thing with Cary, there are supposed to be other partners who were associates like him who started the new firm with him. Like Carey and a bunch of others. There were many, they got together for meetings in Alicia's house. They were younger. Now he's supposed to be the younger one left? Why? Did they leave? Did the writers forgot about them?

And many have asked, so I'll ask again, what ever happened to the video of Peter's henchmen stealing the ballots? Was there any consequence? why isn't he being prosecuted but Alicia was fired for something that I still don't understand if it happened or not??

• Love 4

The sister said something about them making a deal with her.  They must have gotten her to hire them, and/or told her they'd make some deal to split things with the brother.  But I'm confused about why Diane and David Lee seem to have such a beef with Alicia.  They were on opposite sides of the case, but it seemed really personal.

What happened to the people who were partners when Florrick and Agos was started? Weren't they younger and didn't that firm happen because they wanted to do things in new ways? When Diane and David Lee came back in did they all get demoted or something?

• Love 1

Chad, who is MJF? Sorry, but sometimes when acronyms are used, I really get lost. I'm not a regular here, so I don't have the inside scoop.

Michael J. Fox.

I keep thinking of Derrick Bond every time I see the episode title. I still haven't watched this episode and don't feel like I will.

I always have to hand-wave how the firms seem to conduct all of their discovery in a trial setting, but its really amazing how they got all these experts to appear at the drop of a hat.

Grace needs to come up with other people to 'call' Alicia during client meetings besides a judge.  No attorney who ever hopes to appear in court will ever "call a judge back", they tend to drop EVERYTHING when a judge calls because that's who has all the power.

I didn't get why Alicia was going on about her kids in college.  Even if she isn't accepting Peter's money for daily living, surely he is footing at least half the bill for college tuition.  Tell the kids to get a student loan, like everyone else does.

I don't understand this new thing with Cary, there are supposed to be other partners who were associates like him who started the new firm with him. Like Carey and a bunch of others. There were many, they got together for meetings in Alicia's house. They were younger. Now he's supposed to be the younger one left? Why? Did they leave? Did the writers forgot about them?

I don't understand why they don't show Cary actually, you know, being a lawyer and working on cases.  We barely saw Diane, but boy, we sure got a lot of Howard.  What is wrong with these writers?   I watch for Diane far more than Alicia (whom I've grown to hate), and I've always wished they would show Cary being a kick-ass lawyer instead of a plot device for everything and everyone else (remember when he got the shit beat out of him by Kalinda's ex-husband for no discernible reason and no follow-up?).

Also, what the hell was with the random quick scene with Cary and the young associate attorney? Is this a tease of a sexual discrimination issue that's ahead? I'm sick of him getting the shit end of the stick on this show.

chad, this is my fear as well.  He spent last season in jail, and now are they setting him up for a harassment or discrimination thing?  If they do that, I will vomit.  And then take this show off my DVR.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3

Cary is having some kind of quarter life crisis? Thats the best you can give us? I love Cary, he`s become my favorite character, and he needs something more interesting to do. And by interesting, I do NOT mean more suffering and being miserable. But something better than "Cary wants to take selfies with the other kids instead of being stuck with the gross old people".

It seems pretty clear to me that Matt Czuchry is the next on line to get Archie Panjabi treatment. No interaction with Alicia, boring/ridicolous storylines, no material, no court cases. Still wondering about Christine Baranski. 

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 4

Every year for the last several, I keep saying I am going to quit watching this.  I keep watching anyway. I didn't see anything in this episode to redeem this show.  The bar scene was a '&*!#' to those of us on Archie's side.  I refuse to believe that MRS. FLORRICK would be reduced to being a bar attorney at bond court.   Her husband's the sitting Governor. Does every cast member have to suffer the indignities of waiting to see if Juliana likes them enough this week to let them have a few minutes of screen time?  The show was much better when it didn't totally revolve around an arrogant - hypocritical- holier than thou political wife/lawyer. 

The only thing this season didn't start out with was a takeover/bankruptcy of the firm plot. 

• Love 3

We barely saw Diane, but boy, we sure got a lot of Howard.  What is wrong with these writers?

That's what I always think during scenes with repugnant characters such as Howard Lyman. Do the writers think anyone actually enjoys him, or looks forward to his scenes. Turn up the volume, honey, it's a scene with Howard Lyman! Who the eff cares. The writers seemingly have no idea what people find appealing about this show (Cary, Diane, compelling legal cases, scenes of friendship, etc.)

• Love 5

I also was really irritated when Alicia was scrougning around for private investigators.  What happend to the one they hired for Florrick Agos?  The blonde who simply disappeared from the show without a word? 

Just catching up on the show. If I lived on Alicia's floor, and it looks like a very nice apartment and I would love an apartment with all the raised molding woodwork and cute architecture, I would have a fit if someone was running a business out of their apartment like that. She has people and coming and going all day!! Do they not have a doorman or sometype of security to allow people into the building proper? I know that Chicago is a big city, these types of apartments must have some security measures, no? Alicia gets one case and now needs an investigator? Why is she slumming at Bond court for $135 per, if she has enough money? Talk about trying to "rehab" her image. Oy. Totally with you guys on the wigs. Why can't she wear her normal hair? It always looks so much more "her" and semi-real when I see real pics of JM on the red carpet or whatever. The color and middle part is just, no. It ages her and makes her look fat (no of course not, but maybe she will hear these comments and go with her real hair as she trys to get over the negative press with Archie? We can hope right?) Wigs make you look 25 pounds heavier Alicia! lol

I just binged Seasons 1-6, so in the space of just a couple weeks I've seen Cary:

1. Fired from Lockhart/Gardner

2. Railroaded out of his position as Deputy State's Attorney

3. Exploited by his father

4. Cheated out of a promised partnership at Lockhart/Gardner

5. Arrested and nearly convicted on the basis of falsified evidence

6. Overruled by his partners and lost the autonomy of his firm

7. Heart broken by Kalinda, without so much as a goodbye

Is it any wonder the writers now seem intent on giving him more trouble?

Meanwhile shits like Peter Florick have the world handed to them on a silver platter and Alicia comes up smelling like roses no matter how many times she stumbles.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1