Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Australian Bake Off - General Discussion

• Start Topic

First episode of the new series of GABO starts tonight (27 January in Australia), at 8:30pm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings time on the Lifestyle channel on Foxtel.  Unsure how people in other countries can watch it at the moment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Enjoyed the first episode. There were so many bakers, I can't even remember who baked what. Except for the booby cake, but not sure I like that baker.

The one who left was not quite at the level of the others. Can't imagine trying to bake without being able to smell or taste. Did she say if that was a COVID thing? It almost sounded permanent. 

8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Enjoyed the first episode. There were so many bakers, I can't even remember who baked what. Except for the booby cake, but not sure I like that baker.

The one who left was not quite at the level of the others. Can't imagine trying to bake without being able to smell or taste. Did she say if that was a COVID thing? It almost sounded permanent. 

I think Lidia lost her sense of taste and smell from a brain trauma from a head injury sustained after a holiday in Italy just before COVID hit. I can’t remember anything more than that. There’s a podcast here where they talk to the eliminated contestant each week, and I think she mentions it there.

https://thewashingup.libsyn.com/great-australian-bake-off-series-5-everyones-nonna-wlidia

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Not overly impressed with the cookie chandeliers. I don't really get them. They seem like just a dumb trendy thing, and then do people actually eat those cookies at some point? I will say the winners was nice looking and the flavors sounded interesting. 

• Love 1

Just got round to watching the frist couple of episodes. Cake week is always one of my faves because I like my treats moist, large and not too fussy.
LOL love the boobies cakes. Don't know what to make of the rabbit lady, but glad there is some rugby paying eye candy in the mix.

The slice&bake biscuits are what the Canadians called fridge biscuits, aren't they?
The technical bake - can't remember the name - but my mom does those with jam and slivers of almond instead of coconut.
Biscuit chandeliers are pointless.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1

So many tasty buns and focaccias, and Australian Bake Off is always good for some new flavour combinations. I am so hungry now.

My favourite thing about this episode  was Matt and Maggie really goetting into all those buns and breads - not just the Prue Leith nibble - proper bites, and keep in mind there are still 10 bakers left, so thats a lot of carbs. Even Mel and Claire had a few bites.

• Love 1

It took a while for this episode to become available to viewers outside of Australia (if you get my drift).

I am rarely tempted by Pavlovas and the steamed pudding didn't tickle my fancy either. The task for the showstopper - combine two traditional Australian bakes into something new - was a bit weird and not really nostalgic. Lots of Lamingtons and sprinkles, which really are timeless treats.
Javin's Vienetta was by far the most nostalgic thing in the showstopper.

Am I the only one watching this? You lot are missing all the good stuff.

Homegrown week was great. I enjoy the bakers using proper Australian ingredients I've never heard of and they didn't disappoint. The episde also highlighted what I said in bread week - that Matt and Maggie just light up and dig in when they get to judge bread.

• Love 1

I'm also watching - I think at this stage it's a fairly obvious top 2 of Ella and Aaron with that third finale spot wide open.  I did think Carmel had it locked down until this week - I'd LOVE Jawin to get in there, his flavours seem amazing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I legit don't understand the judging on this show sometimes - Aaron had decent first bake, came second in the technical but was one of the two names they said was in trouble going into the showstopper?  Makes no sense to me at all.  Sad to see Jawin go, if only because I will miss his puns dearly.

19 hours ago, TallulahBelle said:

I legit don't understand the judging on this show sometimes - Aaron had decent first bake, came second in the technical but was one of the two names they said was in trouble going into the showstopper?  Makes no sense to me at all.

Yeah, sometimes I think they say these things to pad out time and/or because the director tells them to.

Something about Ella rubs me the wrong way. She's an outstanding baker, but I just ... Maybe it's her cutesy way of speaking or her constant mentions of her kids and being a mum?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Matts dirty fingernail in a cose up last week has thrown me right off, but Fruit & Veg week was always going to be a winner for me. Those tartelets made me so hungry, everything looked delicious - except Aaron'd double carber, which just looked dry.

Aaron is on really thin ice now, I hope he can up his game again.  Ella had a clean sweep this week, good for her, but I still think Nurman's the one to beat in the final.

This is the right final three, although I was concerned for Aaron there at the end. 

I honestly think it's anyone's to win, depending on what they have to do in the final - they all have strengths and weaknesses and it's going to really come down to what they have to bake.  I'm happy with either of them winning but I'd rather it be Aaron or Nurman personally . . . 

4 hours ago, TallulahBelle said:

This is the right final three, although I was concerned for Aaron there at the end. 

I honestly think it's anyone's to win, depending on what they have to do in the final - they all have strengths and weaknesses and it's going to really come down to what they have to bake.  I'm happy with either of them winning but I'd rather it be Aaron or Nurman personally . . . 

Word to your entire post, @TallulahBelle. Nurman and Aaron are my favourites. In this episode Nurman's showstopper was incredibly personal and moving, and I loved the way Maggie Beer reacted to it. She is the best.

1 hour ago, BellyLaughter said:

Can’t say I’m happy with the outcome of the final.  That grating baby voice tipped me over the edge weeks ago.  I was desperately hoping for a different outcome. 

Me too.  A very American Baking show type winner. Princess castle and all.

I loved the blooper reel at the end.

• Love 2

How did Ella end up winning?! She came last in the technical, her first bake wasn't any better than the others, and I thought Nurman won the showstopper with all his techniques and everything being delicious. Ella's showstopper was just a white castle with ice cream comes on the top and a round ball of fondant carriage that looked sloppy. The fountain was sloppy too. And the flavors were pretty basic. Whereas Nurman was much more intriguing with his flavors. 

I was not rooting for Ella, in case you couldn't tell! : D  She was just a bit too ....camera ready for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

How did Ella end up winning?!

They must have judged it on the whole season rather than just the finale. Because yes, she wasn't as good in the finale as she had been for most of the season, but taken as a whole, I pay it. I don't begrudge her the win - she was the most consistent throughout, and some of her bakes were brilliant. I just wish I liked her more.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I thought Ella won the signature, Nurman the technical and Aaron the showstopper and that it was honestly one of the closest and even finals Bake Off has had.  I also don't love the winner from a viewer pov as much as Nurman or Aaron - I think she had more peaks and troughs - all those technical wins vs that terrible showstopper of basically a pile of macarons as an example, but she is clearly very talented (I mean the boobs from the first ep!!) so it's fine.  It was a lovely season and just the nice tv I needed with *gestures at EVERYTHING* that's going on.

• Love 3

The next season will have new hosts and judges: the judges will be Rachel Khoo and Darren Purchese, and the hosts will be Natalie Tran and Cal Wilson. I'll miss Maggie, Mel and Claire a lot (never warmed to Matt), but this looks like a good team. Cal Wilson is hilarious, and I've been following Burch Purchese (Darren's Melbourne business) for years on social media just to look at their beautiful creations.

I too will miss Mel and Claire, and Maggie Beer was a delight. Matt was...fine.

What's up with all the shifting casts in this franchise? The Great Kiwi Bake Off just swapped out three of their four regulars as well.

(edited)

Great Australian Bake Off returns to Foxtel in Australia in about a month's time, on the 13th of June.  I can't wait to see the new bakers and find out what the new judges and hosts bring to an established show.

Foxtel announces new season of The Great Australian Bake Off with all new cast and judges | Daily Mail Online

Edited by CatLover74
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I like the new line-up, so far. The new hosts and judges are pleasant, although the judges were very complimentary all around, even on stuff that was visibly not quite right.
I don't like the illustrations for the bakes, they aren't great and too far removed from the style the franchise is known for.

A bit odd for the episode that they basically had two show stoppers because that first challenge really was a show stopper too (maybe thats why the rechristened the third challenge the show off stopper). I hope they go back to a regular signature bake in the next episodes and more distinct challenges.

• Like 2

I am more of a cake person than a biscuit person. Was it mandatory to use fondant in the first challenge? That puts me off even more. But the technical could convert me, that looked so yummy and I have to find the recipe for the banana caramel. And would you believe it, the technical factored into the judges' decision ...

Show stopper wasn't anything new for a GBBO watcher, but there were a few neat ideas.
Laurent has a target on his back, despite the great baking heritage the french contestants never do very well on these shows?

Hosts are still doing well.

• Like 3

The sweet loafs - YUM.

Very well done Neil, he is very good and the quintessential Bake Off contestant. Not Flashy, a bit shy maybe, but his bakes shine. And I appreciate that he doesn't overdo the decoration, his bakes are really relatable.

• Like 5

The first ever GABO Winter Week tonight.  The technical this week, of a carrot and cumin tart, sounds interesting.  I might try it myself once they put the recipe up.  Enjoying what the new hosts and judges are bringing to the table so far.  They're no Matt and Maggie, but it's still an enjoyable watch.

• Like 1

Oh yes, that was a surprise. One day you're in, and one day you're out, I guess.

This was the first episode where I didn't think America Ferrera everytime Rachel was on screen.
And I did enjoy the level of decoration in the showstopper. They were still pies, albeit very colourful ones. First challenge was very straight forward too, very appetizing.

• Like 2

Nooooo! Why no Matt and Maggie?! I don't think the new judges describe the bakes and flavors as well. "Wow" does not tell me anything, people!!!! 

Enjoying the bakers though. 

9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I don't think the new judges describe the bakes and flavors as well. "Wow" does not tell me anything, people!!!!

Agreed. Their comments are very 'samey'. I hope they get better.

• Like 1

Dessert Week: the first challenge was to make their family's favourite dessert. This is how I like it. Real signature challenges and a good variety of output.

With the showstopper, while not my kind of dessert, I can see how that sort of thing is something  trendy for parties and coorporate events (if the size them down a bit). Certainly looked easier to eat than bubble waffle cones.

And while I agree that the judging could do with pointing out some technical errors or tips, I like the new judges. To be frank, it felt like Maggie and Dan got a bit repetitive with their comments in their last couple of seasons.

• Like 3

Oh dear, I was afraid Neil was up for the chop this time, but his flavours (his show stopper looked so yummy) did manage to put him ahead of Reem. She is a good baker too, but we are now at the point where every elimination is going to be tough.

The citrus theme was very enjoyable. It, again, gave them room to bring a variety of techniques and bakes to the showstopper. Compare that to GBBO showstoppers where elaborate construction tasks has half the bakers use gingerbread, the other half shortbread and everyone use a metric tonne of artificially coloured icing.

• Like 3

Also enjoyed the citrus theme. I think I am rooting for one of the gents to take it! the new judges have grown on me a bit. ...but I wish the hosts would stop trying to be funny.  

• Like 2

Nooooooo, not Neil 😣
TBF he didn't have a great week and I understand why they picked him, but still.

I like Pide when the filling is a bit more creative than the traditional ones. Fair to say, I liked what I saw the bakers did a lot. The technical was sponsored by the artificial colours board, and I am not keen on macarons - so it was a mixed bag of a week. But still very straight forward with the challenges and no idiotic sculpting tasks. Keep them coming.

I want one of the Bake Offs to do a week based food from prominent books or movies.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:21 AM, TVbitch said:

the new judges have grown on me a bit. ...but I wish the hosts would stop trying to be funny.  

are we (the viewers) getting a bit bored with funny presenters in general, or are they just not the right kind of funny. I even find Mel and her puns on that woodworking show a bit boring sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, purist said:

Loved Chocolate Week and I love the final three! No spoilers as @Aulty and others seem to be a week behind what we're seeing in Australia.

Thank you, thats so considerate :-) I am a bit behind with my watching, but had myself a GABO double feature today. It also takes a few days before they are available for the rest of the world.

YUMM on the signature.
Everytime mirror glaze is set as a challenge I imagine TPTB want the telegenic Insta galaxy glazes with lots of colour and sparke, and then the bakers choose boring chocolate mirror glazes. I am OK with the final 3 too. However, what a pitty Neil didn't get to have a go at chocolate week - I think he would've nailed that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2023 at 3:15 AM, purist said:

Agreed. Their comments are very 'samey'. I hope they get better.

I loved Matt and Maggie and was even more sad to hear Rachel Khoo was coming on.

Unfortunately, based on holding out hope she'd get better during her stint as a judge on Great British Menu one season and being sorely disappointed (and then thrilled she didn't return the following season) I wouldn't hold your breath :( 

• Love 1

Yeah, I have not warmed to the female judge. According to her, everything tastes like "wow" as this is what she says about practically every bake. So very informative. 🙄

@Aulty, I am definitely over "funny" hosts. I appreciate witty hosts who can come up with clever repartee in the moment. But the scripted antics and exchanges that are meant to be amusing and full of puns is quite painful. 

Never heard of Pide, but would have gladly taste tested any of those. 

I was so bummed Neil is out. But I also like the final three. Rooting for the last remaining gent or Laura. It is anyone's game though. 

I guess I'm in the minority because I don't mind the judges or hosts. I did see one season with the other judges and they were better, but these two are OK. The hosts' humor is better than most of what Noel and Matt came up with, and I know it helps ease the tension in the shed.

I'm happy with all of the final 3 and can't wait to see what they all make in the finale.

• Like 4

Finale tonight Australian time.  This season has just flashed by.  I honestly don't mind which of the final 3 takes out the title.  They're all good at what they do, and there wasn't anyone on the season contestant wise that I loathed or was irritated by.  Now to find something to fill the hole in my life with until the new season of GBBO starts, whenever that may be.

• Like 2

It was a nice touch bringing Maggie back as a guest judge for the finale. GBBO should've done that with Mary. I think I'd enjoy a Mary/Prue judged episode, mostly because I am so over Paul Hollywood.
I also loved the blooper reel at the end, it gave us a glimpse of everyone's personality and that everyone has fun.

They finally broke out the '3D cake that looks like something else' challenge. The signature was fiddly and a bit beige, but the technical was chunky and not sweet, so all in all a good balance of tasks.

To me, it doesn't matter who won. There was no front runner and they are all competent bakers. But congratulations nevertheless, well deserved

Spoiler

Laura !

Based on past seasons, GBBO will be back mid-September, so not too long a wait for you @CatLover74 - with a new host ... Personally, I am looking forward to the return of Bruno on GCBS.

• Like 2

I loved seeing Maggie Beer back on the show - she is indeed an angel on earth (along with Dolly Parton). So happy to see my favourite win, although I would have been happy with any of them. The finale decorations were gorgeous!

Edited by purist
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It was a nice final. A lot of crying! I can't remember, has this one never done the "since the show..." epilogue about the bakers?  

I don't 100% recall, but I don't remember them ever doing it.  It would be a nice touch though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1