Type keyword(s) to search

My Cat From Hell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The first thing I thought was "that cat is playing with poop because he doesn't have any toys." If a cat doesn't have the right toys, he'll invent them. 

• Love 3

And, do they also not notice that cats don't like to play the way you are playing?  I just did not get the boyfriend picking up the Siamese and bouncing her around.  You don't play with dogs that way, either.  Maybe small children?

I think that was the point of the episode where Jay in San Diego was roughhousing with Marley. Jackson took offense, and rightly so; I would never roughhouse a cat like Jay did. 

• Love 2

Wasn't there SEVERAL previous eps where the boyfriend played with the cat like a dog and wondered why they kept getting lit up? Cats are CATS, not dogs. Watch the show.  Jackson was annoyed at one couple that was trying to use his techniques about introducing cats to each other, but at least they WATCHED the show.  I was surprised by one couple that had a couple of cat trees in the house, but they had two behaviorists  before Jackson came by, which made sense.

• Love 1

I liked the segment with Jackson, Ashley and Storm - particularly the part where he knew she couldn't go out and buy a $300 cat tree. I actually thought she volunteered a bit too fast to make her own - I was like, "Girl, sometimes he gives people free stuff! Love the DIY enthusiasm, but maybe let him finish his sentence first!" I'm not sure I've ever seen him like another cat guardian on this show as much as he liked her.

And I felt for her when Jackson explained to her what declawing entails. I was glad he was quick to assure her he wasn't blaming her, it was more of a PSA for viewers, because she clearly felt horrible already and didn't need a piling-on.

• Love 4

And I felt for her when Jackson explained to her what declawing entails. I was glad he was quick to assure her he wasn't blaming her, it was more of a PSA for viewers, because she clearly felt horrible already and didn't need a piling-on.

Like the roughhousing, I'm in with Jackson on the declawing bit. Cats need their claws to do practically everything, and declawing seems to take away quite a few of their options. 

Completely agree. Seriously, what kind of horrible shelter was that, that required the declawing?

Ashley said she's had Storm for ten years, and she can't be older than mid-20s at most. I'm sure her kid/teen self trusted the shelter to know best and to not require something that would hurt a cat. So I'm glad Jackson saved his harsh words for the shelter. With her, he was just factual in describing the procedure, and that was enough.

• Love 1

Tonight's episode...

Season 7, Episode 2

Darkness Comes Knocking

First Aired: April 11, 2015

A relationship's in jeopardy when a woman is repeatedly attacked by her boyfriend's cat, which has also begun tormenting their new puppy; a couple move into their dream home, but their four cats have turned it into a war zone where the two females bully the two males.

I felt terrible for Sebastian and Snowball spending all those months in a cage at the vets!  Good on them for giving those kitties a home.  I'm glad Jackson was able to help them re-socialize the boys and the girls together. 

• Love 1

I can't put my finger on it, but this season isn't bugging me quite so much as the two previous seasons. Maybe it's slightly less formulaic? Only slightly - I can't define it.

I am definitely looking forward to the next episode with the licking kitty! That will be something new.

I felt terrible for Sebastian and Snowball spending all those months in a cage at the vets!  Good on them for giving those kitties a home.  I'm glad Jackson was able to help them re-socialize the boys and the girls together. 

I had a cat a few years ago who'd lived in a cage at a vet's office for a year, maybe two (though they let him roam during the day). He had been abandoned in a carrier at the vet's doorstep  (not so nice, but really could have been much worse). He had health issues (he required daily subcutaneous injections of some kind of fluid-bag thing), which I knew before bringing him home, and he lived for only about a year after I took him. This episode made me think of him. He was a good boy.

• Love 5

Oh, thank you for saying that. I was heartbroken to lose him but at least for a while he had beds and toys and a long hallway to run up and down. 

At the shelter where I volunteer, we have a beautiful black cat with FIV (though otherwise in good health). If I had no cats at home, I'd nab her in a minute because it's sad to see her in a cage while some of the others are free-roaming, especially when we're playing with the feather-on-a-stick toy; man, she just wants chase it and grab it, but she can't chew on a toy that the others play with. And we have no separate room to take her out on her own. But that's me projecting a little; she does seem happy enough in her duplex cage.

Edited by TattleTeeny

Tonight's episode...

SAT APR 18 8:00PM

Real Housecat of Orange County (Season 7, Episode 3)

Peggy Tanous ("The Real Housewives of Orange County") and her husband disagree on how to handle their cat's aggressiveness; a couple's cat won't stop licking them.

This episode made me so angry! Those children should not be around animals. Even when their behavior was "fixed", Jackson seemed hesitant to believe all was well. They treated poor Sophia like she was a rag doll, which made me wonder what was wrong with her! I mean, my Figaro lets me put sunglasses and hats on him to take pictures, but he would NOT stand for being thrown around, punched in the gut, or anything that child was doing to that cat. I still think those kitties should be rehomed because those children have no boundaries and I bet things went right back to the way they were with Sophia when the cameras were gone.

As for Albert, when people purchase genetic abnormality cats like that, all it does it cause breeders to breed more of them. I felt bad for him, because he can't move like a normal cat, and he can't play like a normal cat. He would never survive outside. Didn't care for his guardians at all.

• Love 3

When I saw the promo of that brat kicking at the cat, I knew the kids (and their stupid parents) would be the problem. I noticed at the kindergarten, when Jackson told Capri (stupid name) not to pet Sophie like that, she started to pitch a fit and was pulled back.

My heart broke for Albert. Selectively breeding for an abnormality like that is abominable.

• Love 1

When I saw the promo of that brat kicking at the cat, I knew the kids (and their stupid parents) would be the problem. I noticed at the kindergarten, when Jackson told Capri (stupid name) not to pet Sophie like that, she started to pitch a fit and was pulled back.

My heart broke for Albert. Selectively breeding for an abnormality like that is abominable.

But...but...mom said the kids were well behaved! I caught one of the crew leading her away from the other children. It appeared that Capri is a child who is not accustomed to hearing "no". I wanted to slap both parents.

• Love 4

I liked the couple with Symone. They weren't blaming anyone, and they didn't seem like idiots who had been tormenting their cat or failing to try obvious solutions.

They (Symone's owners in Austin, TX) seemed to be quite the inverse of those jokers last night who let their girls torment their cats and did nothing about it (at least from what I hear). 

But...but...mom said the kids were well behaved! I caught one of the crew leading her away from the other children. It appeared that Capri is a child who is not accustomed to hearing "no". I wanted to slap both parents.

Not to mention that I'm not the biggest fan of that name for a child, especially a daughter. 

I am somebody that loved  taking on special needs pets. My bunny Pączki was born partially deaf, mostly blind due to cataracts, and his mother died when he was a week old from mastitis. He was a little bit of a challenge, but I gave him and his sister the best life they could possibly have, and they were happy and healthy bunnies. My Figaro is special needs now, with a thyroid disorder that requires twice daily medication, a special diet and frequent bloodwork.  I would take in the eyeless kitty, the kitty with the missing leg, the deaf kitties and bunnies any time. But breeding specifically for a genetic problem is sickening to me. It reminds me of how people breed white tigers- who do not exist in nature- and then kill the white tigers that come out looking deformed. Which, by the way, is most of them. I haven't been left this angry at an episode since that awful woman who made her husband get rid of his precious 23-year-old cat because he meowed too much.

• Love 3

I haven't been left this angry at an episode since that awful woman who made her husband get rid of his precious 23-year-old cat because he meowed too much.

You're referring to that cat named Pump, I assume? That upset me too, not just the insistence that Pump was to be gotten rid of for the meowing, but actually doing so after it seemed that Jackson had convinced that woman to keep him. 

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 2

You're referring to that cat named Pump, I assume? That upset me too, not just the insistence that Pump was to be gotten rid of for the meowing, but actually doing so after it seemed that Jackson had convinced that woman to keep him. 

Yep. That episode gave me rage tears on Pump's behalf.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe Capri was actually kicking at the cat with her boots while the parents just looked on and said nothing to her.  I'm convinced that poor fluffy Sophie has Stockholm Syndrome or something because the way Capri handled her would have gotten her scratched up and bitten by just about any other cat.

• Love 2

Why didn't they say to her, "Capri, Shadow takes offense to you kicking at her like that, so stop doing it"? After all, Shadow was clearly saying by her body language and hissing (IIRC), "Capri, please stop doing that." 

• Love 1

e

I'm glad I haven't seen that episode. I probably would have broken my TV!

• Love 2

The parents didn't seem to think anything was wrong with Capri's behavior, and even seemed to think it was cute. I wonder if Sophie had brain damage, because she was more than tolerant, she looked like she was lifelessly limp after being shaken and roughed up to the point that would normally cause physical damage. Jackson was right that the way she was being roughly handled could easily break her back (or neck). Capri needed to know it was dangerous, not just that it was forbidden, and her parents needed to understand that, too. I'm glad Jackson is being more bluntly critical in his talking head segments, because the behaviors he showed were beyond just a little bit insensitive. I think Shadow was legitimately terrified.

• Love 3

I’m glad I didn’t watch, because parents who allow their kids to mistreat animals send me into a rage.  When I was sixteen, I came home with a kitten to add to our family that already consisted of two cats.  My parents’ “WTF?” reaction quickly faded when I explained why I’d brought home this kitten without asking.

I was out at my best friend’s house, and learned her neighbor’s cat had produced a litter of  kittens, so we went over to see.  There was only one left, the runt of the litter, and the neighbor started relaying what she thought was a highly amusing story of how her shithead of a son (I’m not good at judging kids’ ages, plus this was such a long time ago, but I’d guess he was about four – so the bulk of the fault in him being a shithead lies with the parents) liked to use the kitten as a football and throw her down the hall. 

Seriously?  Someone is sitting there laughing at this shit?  I told her all about herself, announced I was taking the kitten, scooped kitty up, put her in the car, and she spent 16 years living the life of Riley.

• Love 10

The parents didn't seem to think anything was wrong with Capri's behavior, and even seemed to think it was cute. I wonder if Sophie had brain damage, because she was more than tolerant, she looked like she was lifelessly limp after being shaken and roughed up to the point that would normally cause physical damage. Jackson was right that the way she was being roughly handled could easily break her back (or neck). Capri needed to know it was dangerous, not just that it was forbidden, and her parents needed to understand that, too. I'm glad Jackson is being more bluntly critical in his talking head segments, because the behaviors he showed were beyond just a little bit insensitive. I think Shadow was legitimately terrified.

When Jackson went to that classroom to speak on the proper way to treat cats, he seemed to get through to the majority of the children there, but Capri, apparently, didn't quite get the message as far as Sophie was concerned. That's just how I remember it playing out. 

I have two cats, both females, named Beast and Georgia; they are both seniors. Beast is the older of the two; she is a Balinese. She was named Beast by my nephew because when he originally got her, she seemed very foreboding. Despite her name, she is really very friendly.

Georgia is the younger of the two; she is a gray Persian and is the de facto "daughter." 

I'll have to take a picture (or pictures) later and show you what they look like, but for the moment, I thought I'd tell you a bit about them. 

• Love 2

I think part of the problem with Capri were the cameras. She and, to a lesser extent, London, were always "on". If you can stomach watching again, she's interacting with the camera; the poor cats became props. I know 5 year olds can be a bit squirrelly but the show has had families on with younger children who didn't behave that way. It's like she was auditioning for something.

I had to laugh as they were wrapping up when mom commented to Jackson that now he was ready for a child and he emphatically replied, "No."

• Love 3

I couldn't bear to watch the abuse.

Bastet, my mom once walked into a neighbor's yard, picked up their cat, and brought it to our house. It's a long story that I may post some day when I've got more time.

I have a meta-question related to this show that I'm going to bring up in the Jackson Galaxy thread.

• Love 2

What do people think Jackson would do if he encountered a serious case of abuse?

I used to think that he wouldn't leave the cat with the owners, but some of these cases come close enough that now I'm wondering. We don't know of him ever actually removing a cat from a home, do we? There was the Portland cat that was in the news and later on this show, but that cat was already out of the home IIRC.

Thoughts?

It should surprise no one that "Galaxy" is not his family name, though it is his legal name because he changed it. His mother works at Temple Beth-El/Emanu-El on New York City's upper east side. She's really nice and always asks about my friend's cat. She likes cats herself. When Jackson's show was piloted, she was really worried about whether Animal Planet would pick it up as a full series and was relieved and excited when they did.

Like I said, not much, but there you have it.

Per Wikipedia, he was born Richard Kirschner on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in or around 1966.

What do people think Jackson would do if he encountered a serious case of abuse?

I used to think that he wouldn't leave the cat with the owners, but some of these cases come close enough that now I'm wondering. We don't know of him ever actually removing a cat from a home, do we? There was the Portland cat that was in the news and later on this show, but that cat was already out of the home IIRC.

I doubt that any case really involving abuse would make it on air.  The production company can pick and choose which cats they want to feature.  

Does anyone remember the "kitty bit" they did last week or the week before, where someone was asking why her cat gives "love bites" and Jackson said it was because of over-stimulation, i.e. not a "love bite" but a sign she was annoying the cat with too much petting? I have a cat who does that and I really don't think Jackson's answer applies. She will come over to me and immediately grab my hand and start nibbling it. It feels like play biting or affectionate grooming behavior to me. I think I can read her moods and body language well enough to be clear on the difference between a "stop it!" bite and a something else. But I wondered if anyone else has had this experience.

• Love 1

Bombadil (love the Tolkien name!) was such a gorgeous big kitten! I loved Jackson's reaction to the clothes. Just how I feel about dressing up cats.

That's another thing that I felt Jackson was right on the money about: that cats who have no fur, like the Sphynx, can be dressed up in sweaters (because they can't regulate their body temperature), but that cats like Bombadil who have a lot of fur don't need to be in clothes. Bombadil's reaction to being dressed up for that wedding said a lot, IMO.

Oh my God. I laughed at the Bombadil episode until I almost threw up. I kept rewinding the part where the owner proudly showed Jackson the wedding footage, whilst lip synching the meow wedding march. The part where he looked at her in shock, and she raises her eyebrows as if saying, "how'd you like that?". Absolutely hilarious.

That poor son - he was obviously so embarrassed by her. He was such a sweet guy to give her something he thought she would love, and all she does is accuse him of ruining her life. I bet they made him be there in the hopes he would confess to his diabolical plan.

• Love 5

Oh my God. I laughed at the Bombadil episode until I almost threw up. I kept rewinding the part where the owner proudly showed Jackson the wedding footage, whilst lip synching the meow wedding march. The part where he looked at her in shock, and she raises her eyebrows as if saying, "how'd you like that?". Absolutely hilarious.

Bombadil definitely wanted to get the smoke out of there! I would never embarrass my cats like that.

• Love 2

If the cat is behaving abnormally -- that is not for your entertainment or to weirdly make you feel somehow better about yourself.  The cat is not all about you.  The animal and is telling you something is bothering it.  

Bombadil last night was definitely saying that in more ways than one to that woman who kept dressing him up, but apparently she wouldn't listen. 

That poor son - he was obviously so embarrassed by her. He was such a sweet guy to give her something he thought she would love, and all she does is accuse him of ruining her life. I bet they made him be there in the hopes he would confess to his diabolical plan.

That son had a fabulous and quick sense of humor (accented with a traces of sheer exasperation and bitterness). I laughed at stuff he said to his mom--truthful and snarky but not outright mean. Hopefully, she learned for good; she did seem receptive by the end. Also, Jackson looked like a giant in that chair!

The toy he was using last night is the new favorite of one of mine. In fact, I was just playing with it until he ended the game by dragging it away to the bathroom. He does not get the meaning of "interactive toy"!

No matter how many episodes I see, I cannot get over these cat owners' lack of common sense. There was a time that I was new to having a pet cat and I was not so stupid! The lack of toys and towers, the tendency to assume the cat is trying deliberately to bug them (as opposed to express something), being surprised that a cat needs to release energy, all of it. Is it so hard to comprehend that a cat is a living creature and not a slight step above a pretty houseplant?

Somewhat related: I got a tattoo yesterday of my two cats! It's not done yet but it looks fabulous!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Bombadil as the Sad Strawberry is what made me laugh the hardest.  My parents are desperately wishing for grandchildren, too, and they call each other Grandma and Grandpa when talking to their cat Daisy, but even they would never think to dress her up in pink booties!

The Buddhist chanters also cracked me up.  Percy just wants to chant with you!

• Love 6

The toy he was using last night is the new favorite of one of mine. In fact, I was just playing with it until he ended the game by dragging it away to the bathroom. He does not get the meaning of "interactive toy"!

Would you share the name, please?

I've found my people! I have four, all either adopted from a rescue or literally rescued. Monster, Calico, Bunk and Buggy. Calico fell madly in love with my husband the second she saw him and the angels sang. She's a big biscuit maker. All the others are my kitties. Monster is a guy, who is quite monstery on occasion. Bunk is a big squishy love bug and Buggy is 25 pounds of pure tuxedo cute. 

• Love 1

I adopted a new kitten, Arya, about three weeks ago.  I was drawn to her because she looks so much like my all-time favorite cat.  When she came from the shelter she was so sweet and calm - false advertising!  I knew the introduction would be mild, because my other cat (twelve year old male) is extremely laid back.  I was planning to introduce them slowly, but he was under my bed when I brought her in, and she chased him right out of my room.  He's close to fifteen pounds, and she weighs less than five pounds.  He was nervous of her for quite a while, then she gave him an URI that almost killed him.  Next, she destroyed my leather couches and chair.  She's like a squirrel who ate gun powder - she moves so fast she's a blur.  She leaps up and hangs from the blinds, attempts to eat my food quite aggressively, and attacks my legs when I move in bed.  I have to walk by shuffling my feet so I don't step on her mid-flight.

Then I remember - this is exactly how my favorite cat, Jasmine, acted for her first few years.  Jasmine refused to be shut out of my room when I was sleeping, and would dig trenches in the carpet to try to get in.  She once woke me up by scaling up the screen of my window, followed by climbing onto the curtain rod and bringing it crashing down on my head (hence the reason for trying to shut her out of my room during sleep).  She would slowly push water glasses of the counter, once knocked my new contacts (still in their packaging) under the stove, and broke into a package of catnip, followed by doing flips in it on top of my kitchen counter.  Every time I wet a wash cloth to use in the kitchen, she would slowly sneak in from the side and steal it.  She was also known to bring down the Christmas tree.  How did I forget about all of this?

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 3

No matter how many episodes I see, I cannot get over these cat owners' lack of common sense. There was a time that I was new to having a pet cat and I was not so stupid! The lack of toys and towers, the tendency to assume the cat is trying deliberately to bug them (as opposed to express something), 

The problems really start when what the cat wants to "express" is that it's ready to be fed at 3am.  Really Really Really Ready.  Right now, please!

Love Bites from "over stimulation"? - we inherited my mom's ancient cat who was known as a biter.  She would just walk up and bite you, no stimulation involved.  My daughter cured her with kindness and reminders that she wasn't a snapping turtle.

That couple were the loudest chanters I've ever heard!  I thought it was supposed to be soothing.  No wonder the cat was antsy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2