Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Ken - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, that didn't make sense.  As a practical matter, that's a lot of appointments to reschedule in a short time, if they're closing the whole building.

That's the other thing that bugs me about the show -- that's a huge building.  Is it all medical offices -- one health care facility?  If it is, it shouldn't have been a big problem for Dr. Ken to get a few days off. 

I am in transit through LA and had a free evening yesterday and thought it might be interesting to take in a TV taping. This show was the one that fit geoographically, so even though I found the episode I had seen utterly devoid of laughs, I went.

It turned out that the audience was much more interesting to observe than the episode being taped. I will say this for Ken Jeong: he goes to considerable effort to engage the fans, including coming up to take audience questions before the show (last night's Q&A included Dave Foley, whose work I loved in NEWSRADIO) Some notes:

- I can't imagine they need to goose the laugh track. The audience was hyped-up, raucous, energetic and appreciative, whipped up by the warm-up guy, who told no jokes but got the audience members competing to win free gift cards to Starbucks and In 'n' Out, four signed show sccripts, and a lab coat worn in a previous episode. The audience laughed at every joke, screamed at various points, and were all over it.  In fact, for a closing scene, the producers asked the crowd to quiet down so they could get a clean exit.

- The audience was young and, to my eye, diverse. Many were college students who attended in groups; plus there were some cast family and friends.

- The   group in line near me had been before - as recently as last week, and had come back because they had such a great time. They had attended tapings of other shows, but this was their favorite because Jeong spends a lot of time with the fans. Besides the Q&A, the cast pose for pictures with audience members after the show and the production team will email them (because audience is not permitted to bring mobile phones). About half-way through, the staff handed out candy and pizza, which got the audience even more hyped up, as did the handed-out prizes, which were sprinkled throughout the taping to keep excitement levels high. (Except for me, of course - Starbucks and In 'n' OUt gift cards aren't of much interest to me, nor are local movie tickets, etc.)

Sadly, I found the show no fuunnier iin person. Jeung's performance seemed to me very much mugging rather than acting, and every joke was, to me, old and tired. But I think I've found Jeong's secret: he genuinely loves his fans, he has built up a big fan base, and maybe - without wishing to sound ageist - the 18-22yos who make up the preponderance of the studio audience just haven't heard these jokes as often before as some of us who are a few decades older.

This show's taping is highly efficient - starts at six, out by 8:30. That probably also helps keep the audience revved up, since they don't have time to get tired. For this episode, about half of the episode's scenes had been taped the day before, so those were just shown once to capture audience reaction. The rest were basically caught in two takes, except for one scene that had an issue with a swinging door. This may have something to do with Jeong's background as a live performer - you are used to feeding off the audience, and he's probably conscious of wanting to keep the audience, as well as the cast, fresh. I'd be curious to know if they do extra rehearsal in order to facilitate this.

• Love 5

The audience was young and, to my eye, diverse. Many were college students who attended in groups; plus there were some cast family and friends.

- The   group in line near me had been before - as recently as last week, and had come back because they had such a great time. They had attended tapings of other shows, but this was their favorite because Jeong spends a lot of time with the fans.

Yeah, I don't think the audience reflects the show itself. I think most of these people who go to TV tapings are people with time on their hands looking for a little fun, and the actual show they go to doesn't much matter. If Jeong was part of the equation with this specific group of fans you spoke to, I can believe it, but it's likely more because he's "That Guy From The Hangover" than anything anyone's seen at THIS show. But with a lot of people I bet it might be something like "oh, we couldn't get tickets to Conan or Cordon or The Price is Right, so... what's got space?"
  • Love 1

Well, I would say that the Community semi-reunion was Hail Mary stunt casting, but the only reason I knew about it (or watched) was because there was a blurb in TV Guide, so if it was, they didn't promote it very well. And I have no idea how the ratings are; maybe they don't need stunt casting.

Yes, I have a subscription to TV Guide.  Annnywaay...

I like Danny Pudi better as Abed, but maybe I'm just pining for Community.

Joel's hair was all over the place.  To the point that I was wondering whether the beard was to distract from it. It would have been nice if they could have worked all three guys into the same scene, but that wouldn't have made sense as related to the plot.

Speaking of the plot, hasn't putting a couple of adversaries into a romantic relationship been done to death (seems to be the way we're going with the News Radio guy and the sassy-read-stereotypical office manager)? Also, it would have been funnier if instead of putting the apple back, Ken's wife would have stuck it in her purse after he told her about all the menu items the restaurant was out of.

I did get a chuckle out of Ben Voyage, though. But sometimes my standards are low.

• Love 2

Speaking of the plot, hasn't putting a couple of adversaries into a romantic relationship been done to death (seems to be the way we're going with the News Radio guy and the sassy-read-stereotypical office manager)?

Yes, it has.  I was flummoxed when they got together and I hoped it was a one-off.  This week, when they were still at it, I turned it off.  It's just too silly, those two -- it doesn't work at all, not even on an over-the-top sitcom. 

• Love 1

"Tonight, on A Very Special Dr. Ken, we pay tribute to Don Rickles and Triumph The Insult Comic Dog.  Meanwhile, Mrs. Dr. Ken melts down over losing a patient, the staff hates on veganism, and Jr. Dr. Ken and Girl Dr. Ken have some kind of dentist/tooth hygiene competition thing".

How is this show still on the air?  And why am I watching it?

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

How is this show still on the air?  And why am I watching it?

I don't know.  I've taken it off the rotation.  I like Ken's family dynamics, but the workplace stuff is just too silly.  I hated Damona and Pat hooking up, Julie's voice grates more each week, and Pat is a more terrible manager than Michael Scott on his worst day. 

Ken Jeong is really funny and does great physical comedy, but he needs a better vehicle than this.

• Love 1

I am in the same boat, not understanding why I'm still watching. The "isn't patient confidentiality a farce" thing a few weeks ago upset me more than it amused me-- I agree it's a big problem and that practitioners don't protect it, but to me that's an outrage, not an amusement. Until that point, I found the show bland and sometimes annoying but not offensive. But ever since then it's just been harder and harder to overlook the fact that I hate it. I think in general it's true that the family stuff is better than the work stuff, not because it's good but because it's not execrable. Yet somehow I still watch. I don't really understand why.

• Love 2

The boat is getting full...because I am also in it.

NO CLUE why I watch it.

I guess I keep hoping it gets better.

There have been a lot of shows in the past that started off slowly then writing got better, acting got better, etc. But I am starting to think this isn't going to be one of them.

• Love 1

Dean Pelton!  

This pretty much completes the male side of the Community reunion, no (there's not enough money in the world to bring Chevy back, Troy seems to be MIA, and Gus is busy with Better Call Saul)?  Speaking of which, aren't reunion/special guest star eps one of the classic Jumped The Shark tropes (and we're still in the first season)?  What's next, the Dr. Ken's have a baby/adopt a child? A clip show? God forbid, a musical ep? 

Or maybe we have a breakout character - seems like Juan-Julio's starting to get a little more camera time.  They aren't going to do another Romance Arc, are they? Notwithstanding that a doctor wouldn't consider dating a valet any more than a valet would turn down a doctor's advances.  Speaking of which, my Mexican American GF, who has also been teaching elementary school in a largely Hispanic district for almost 30 years, has never heard of a hyphenated Hispanic first name.  Juan, okay.  Julio, okay.  Juan-Julio?  Overkill.

Edited by Lone Wolf

This latest episode, wow, could of those clothes been any more ugly on either mom or daughter? I don't see how they thought those were "In". I also got annoyed at Ken's reason for not telling his son about the Birds and the Bees. Sorry, but eventually you are going to have to tell them and being in middle school. This question is going to come up regardless. However, could they make the woman doctor any more of an idiot? How did she even get through med school? Let alone pass her boards.

hmmmm  ::crickets::
I liked this week, where Ken went to Korean school. And I have always loved Clark, so it was good to see him have a bit of meat to his role. I just tonight noticed that Julie was missing... or at least not on the show anymore, can't really say that I miss her. Time to get rid of Pat... please???

The Thanksgiving episode really took me by surprise. I thought the fight in the car (and on the roadside) was long overdue, and I thought she in particular was very convincing and more enjoyable in a dramatic moment than the rest of the show has ever been when it tries to be comedic.

I also liked the B-story, mostly because of the way it provides a counterpoint to current events.

And Molly truly caring about the fish, and solving the problem, was a welcome surprise, as well.

• Love 3

The tone down of Ken and having it where the daughter actually cares about her life and the wife wants better. Really was what the show needed, dumping the ditz doctor and having the CEO actually appear competent at times helped too. I think TPTB saw what worked and what didn't work and decided to ditch what didn't. Least they weren't the opposite where the show clicked and worked and then decided to change things because they thought it be better. 

• Love 4

Yeah, glad I stuck with this show.

Really, the first season just wasn't very good for me overall (it did get better later on), but I saw potential and kept it on my Tivo OnePass list.

This season has been really good from the start.

• Love 2

I really like having Grandpa on the show. He brings the snark, but also the (more traditionally male) doing-nurturing (as opposed to a more traditionally female talking-nurturing). I'm also finding the Dave Foley character more tolerable, and he's why I almost quit the show. I still heart Damona and Clark. And I'm not missing Julie in the least.  The most recent show, with Korean boyfriend Jae, was very good, I thought.

• Love 1

I thought it was refreshing to see Dr. Ken actually be a good doctor for once, correctly diagnosing Marfan's syndrome and being caring and compassionate to the young man. I suppose it wouldn't be funny if he was always like that, but this once it was nice.

It took me awhile to warm up to his over-the-top style of acting.

• Love 3

The gay wedding and wedding renewal of Dr K marriage vows ep was baaaaaad. It reeked of political correctness instead of natural laughs. And I don't see how a sharp cookie like Mrs. K who had other options chose Dr K, who has no romantic smarts.

The ep needed to cut the political hyperventilating and put in more scenes about the Dr K family to highlight the grandpa and the kids (the son in particular).

Now that Ken landed an acting job, where does the show go from here?  I don't want to see him fail, since we know in real life that he doesn't.   I realize that this show doesn't have to follow his real-life path to stardom, but I'd hate to see his character not make it, just as much as I'd hate to see him give up his practice.   I wonder how they're going to handle this storyline.

13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Now that Ken landed an acting job, where does the show go from here?  I don't want to see him fail, since we know in real life that he doesn't.   I realize that this show doesn't have to follow his real-life path to stardom, but I'd hate to see his character not make it, just as much as I'd hate to see him give up his practice.   I wonder how they're going to handle this storyline.

You also have to put in the fact that the daughter will be away at college and the actress playing Molly said she won't be on as much next season as a result (she is also going to school in real life). So, now the home life changes too as one kid is out of the house. 

Have they been renewed? It really seemed like a show ending plot.

On the other hand, they can easily have his tv show fail, and find a way to get him re-hired by the doctor's office, if they do come back.

They show that hired him was clearly the long-gone Community, where he played an insane Spanish teacher who did not speak Spanish. It also starred Allison Brie and was run by Dan Harmon, the guy who hired him this episode. I don't think they'd really be planning to do a mock Community within Dr Ken. So I think either they aren't going to be renewed, or they'll have him bomb out of the new job quickly and return to being a doctor.

On 4/3/2017 at 5:45 AM, readster said:

You also have to put in the fact that the daughter will be away at college and the actress playing Molly said she won't be on as much next season as a result (she is also going to school in real life). So, now the home life changes too as one kid is out of the house. 

Isn't she like 27 IRL? Not that you're ever too old to go to school. Anyway, I read today that the show was cancelled. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Isn't she like 27 IRL? Not that you're ever too old to go to school. Anyway, I read today that the show was cancelled. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Wow. According to wikipeda, she was born in 1988 and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in 2011. I thought she was a real teenager or really early 20's. She had the teenage mannerisms nailed.

I'm disappointed it's been cancelled too. At least it ended in a good place for all the characters.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Wow. According to wikipeda, she was born in 1988 and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in 2011. I thought she was a real teenager or really early 20's. She had the teenage mannerisms nailed.

I'm disappointed it's been cancelled too. At least it ended in a good place for all the characters.

I agree, they wrote it to be a conclusion just in case they didn't get another season. Sad to say, too bad Last Man Standing didn't take the same note, they were out of gas for almost two seasons and while they did a lot of: "The characters are moving on." The final episode there was horrible. With Dr. Ken, there were long reaching story arcs that lead to some very nice conclusions from Molly going to college. The grandpa finding a good place in his life and Ken getting his chance to live out a dream. 

• Love 1