Type keyword(s) to search

DC Super Hero Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the merchandise associated with the line... I'm anxiously waiting for the dolls to get released (and my daughter will be welcome to play with some of my dolls if she likes *grin*). But I hate the webisodes. It's high school hijinks using superhero names and looks, but it's not superheroics. I want my daughter to see something age-appropriate, yes, but age-appropriate superheroines actually doing heroism... more like SBFF.

• Love 2

Press release about the special:

Tune into Boomerang on Saturday, March 19 at 10 a.m. for an action-packed hour with Super Hero High, a special featuring the stellar lineup of female Super Heroes from DC Super Hero Girls, the new comic universe from Warner Bros. Consumer Products, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Mattel. In addition to the special, exclusive shorts inspired by this fun and immersive world that encourages girls to discover their own super-heroic potential are also now available to view on the Cartoon Network video app.

More info at the link.

• Love 2

I get what you're all saying, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that this line has been released.

But there hasn't been a non-sexualized option for my niece at all. And now there is.

How was SHS for boys only? That's one of the few toy lines to release pretty much every female hero in addition to the males. They are a bit before my son's time but I've been buying them on ebay to augment his Playskool Heroes sets and it's just great that I can find almost every female I can think of because he thinks female superheroes are just as great as male ones and I don't want his lack of female figure to make him think otherwise. He has Spider-woman and Volcana (who is Firestar as far as he's concerned) in his Spider-man house. And Scarlet Witch, Wasp, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Sif and Black Widow in his Avengers set. I already have some female X-Men and the Invisible Woman in the attic for when his superhero tastes branch out.

I do custom figures so I have lots of the 2 variations of the Black Widow figures (which cost cents on ebay) and some Gwen Stacys to turn into other characters. He's already got custom Batgirl (Black Widow V1) and Supergirl (Gwen Stacy) and will be getting Batwoman (Black Widow V2) in his Easter basket. Because the DC Imaginext toys are fabulous but have only a handful of female figures to date and all but Wonder Woman are villains.

• Love 1

Glad Kara has stuff to do, finally. Not loving her outfit, which I guess has been the same as in the previous glimpses we have had of the character, but she's been on so sparingly I didn't notice till now.

The random white collar strikes me as ugly and unnecessary. :shrug:

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 1

Here's the second trailer for the special... it does give away at least one partial surprise.

I watched the show this morning.  Given that it's rated TV-Y7 (which is about as young as anything but TeleTubbies) and aimed at that age range, it was fun, and had a few nice DCU Easter eggs thrown in. Anyone who knows the comics will figure out the "mystery" almost immediately, but my hunch is that most of the kids won't have that background.  All in all, it was a fun watch.

I wish they'd do a smaller set of figures, like about Playmobil scale :). I kind of want to put Wonder Woman up against my Playmobil History sets :). And, in all seriousness, my own superhero girl, at the older end of the age range, is more into making model worlds than Barbie type play, so some super hero girl figures that are bigger than the Lego ones, but smaller than the current line would come in handy and fit more into the 'tween market which is more into crafting and cosplay themselves. That's one thing My Little Pony has done right-you can get ponies in a range of sizes.

I wish they'd do a smaller set of figures, like about Playmobil scale :). I kind of want to put Wonder Woman up against my Playmobil History sets :). And, in all seriousness, my own superhero girl, at the older end of the age range, is more into making model worlds than Barbie type play, so some super hero girl figures that are bigger than the Lego ones, but smaller than the current line would come in handy and fit more into the 'tween market which is more into crafting and cosplay themselves. That's one thing My Little Pony has done right-you can get ponies in a range of sizes.

What about Imaginext. You can get Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Harley and Poison Ivy fairly easily. And they have just released Batgirl on a very cool Batbike, though she is like gold dust at the moment. She might be more available by Christmas. Or if you don't like the look of the Imaginext Wonder Woman, because I think she is a bit bland and disappointing, you can get the Action League figures on ebay. There is classic Wonder Woman, Flashpoint Wonder Woman (who in my house lives in my son's castle playset as a cool female knight) and Element Girl, who's a very obscure character to have a figure in a toyline aimed at young children but there are a lot of Flashpoint characters in that line. Imaginext figures are better as the stand easier and are fully articulated.

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 2

Fortune has an interview with Diane Nelson (head of DC Entertainment) about DC Super Hero Girls.  Very business-focused, of course.

Why choose the teenage years for these characters?

In some of our comic books, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are villains, but in high school, the characters are discovering their strengths and weaknesses while sitting alongside Wonder Woman and Supergirl. If you look at Batman and Superman, there are adaptations that appeal to six year olds, as well as 40 year-olds. I hope that young girls get the things I hear about from every fanboy—an incredible sense of empowerment and aspiration. It’s about getting hope and inspiration from powerful role models. It’s about saving the day, alongside men.

• Love 1

For everyone who asked why there wasn't a Katana doll in the DCSHG toy line... apparently, they wanted to make her special.

Get ready to add some flair to your shelves because the first DC Super Hero Girls Katana action doll is almost here. The collectible from Mattel will debut in style as an exclusive item at San Diego Comic-Con in July....

She's a talented sword-fighter, and the 12-inch Katana doll has all the right accessories to ensure she can keep her fighting techniques sharp while she resides on your shelf. You can pose Katana with her legendary katana (of course), two sai, three shuriken, a naginata or a sheathed tanto.

Time to get caught up here... first, Harley gets Hero of the Month (listen for the Easter egg phrase near the very end of the clip):

Then, Batgirl's tech gets ahead of her...

I haven't updated the shorts in here for a while (they're all on the YT site in multiple languages), but here's a Sneak Peek at the "Hero of the Year" movie.  Note the expanded set of heroes in the titles, and also Diana's costume change near the beginning.... :)

I just watched the "Hero of the Year" movie on OnDemand; it was less predictable than the original Super Hero High movie was, and there was one cameo I did NOT expect at all!  Very nicely done!

It was better than I'd been expecting after seeing some of the episodes.  I'll never be a fan of making everyone the same age and turning everyone good or evil into students (or teachers) at the same school and they play fast and loose with secret identities, but I enjoyed the plot and the interactions and yeah, the Girl Power.  

Completely confused on the ages and timeline though since

Spoiler

Lois Lane is still a teen

but the show implied Clark is all grown up since there's no Superman or Batman at the school (but there is Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, and Hal Jordan as Green Lantern)

It's time for the annual Hero of the Year ceremony and the students of Super Hero High compete for the top prize. But the festivities take a turn when Dark Opal targets the heroes and steals some of their most valued possessions to form the ultimate weapon! It's up to the students at Super Hero High to spring into action! But can Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and Bumblebee stop Dark Opal and her mysterious partner-in-crime to save the day?

I just want to point out that "Hero of the Year" wasn't their first "movie".  They had already done "Welcome to Super Hero High," which introduced Supergirl and also gave Barbara her Batgirl identity.

So its been a while, folks............

"Fourth Season"  has just begun, and a "new" Super Hero Girl is about to join the team.

Hal Jordan has been "put on a bus", and Jessica is about to be the new Lantern.

For those who don't read comics, Jessica Cruz stumbled upon the Lantern ring of the (deceased) Evil Earth-3 Green Lantern who called himself "Power Ring".

In these kid-friendly web cartoons, Jessica is Lois Lane's camera-person, who apparently is afraid of her own shadow.

These are the first shorts I've seen that had a full credits sequence padding them out.

I've noticed that, in addition to the semi-annual "movies" like "Welcome to Super-Hero High," they've been doing more multi-part stories in the shorts like the one with Lena Luthor and the Kryptomites.  If they're willing to do that, I have to think the project is working well for them.

• Love 1

It reminds me of what they did with "Gotham Girls".

The first "season" (or two) was just quick "one and done" adventures.

In the final "season", they made a big story arc, which I found much more enjoyable.

P.S.  I got the complete (one season) series of the live-action show "Birds of Prey",

and it includes (as a "special feature") every webisode of "Gotham Girls".

I watch those more than I watch the actual live-action show.

Bwah-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA-Ha!!!

• Love 1

So, "Ring Me Maybe" went to 4 episodes.... and ends with

Spoiler

Lois actually recognizing someone (Jessica) who was wearing a mask!

And there's a teaser trailer for the next ep... introducing yet ANOTHER DC Hero...

So, DCSHG is graduating to Cartoon Network later this year.  In May, it seems, we got our first look at the new character designs.

Synopsis from the article:

The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life.  But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated.

Sure, gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and a fist to punch with, but what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, Perfect Xero said:

It's always been really weird to me that they make Wonder Woman one of the teens in this instead of just having Wonder Girl in the mix.

No one can figure out Wonder Girl.  Her origins are more of a mess than the Hawks at this point.

However, a nice surprise: there's a (new CN version) DC Superhero Girls animated short attached to Teen Titans Go! to the Movies.  It took me a minute to figure out what it was, though, just because I wasn't expecting it.

So that happened............

I guess I should not be all that surprised; they did put the person who created "Super Best Friends" in charge of this.

Of course, she turned everyone into "Super Best Friends".

Still, as they often say. if it isn't broke...............

I am definitely not going to like Batgirl changing from the competent (baritone-sounding)  commander

into her "SBF" bubbly-voiced cuckoolander.

Apparently, Zantanna has been upgraded to one of the main girls now.

(She's the girl that I first thought was Raven standing between Bumblebee and Jessica Cruz GL).

The art shift is obviously bad enough, but if they make the "attitude" of the show

more wacky than the webisodes (not to mention the full-length movies), then I will not be watching this anymore.

PS; boy, is that little girl a fan or what????   I didn't even know they had dolls (figures??) of some of the characters

(Barry Allen, Amanda Waller)

• Love 1

Yeah... the first glimpse of the new DCSHG is actually the short at the beginning of the Teen Titans Go! movie.  I'm surprised that they've been releasing S5 of the original versions online with the CN stuff coming soon.

(edited)

If (like me) you've watched a good bit of My Little Pony: FiM you can see how Faust is reusing some character traits. And I think some of the same voice talent (I haven't looked that up yet).

They're not exact matches, but similar: Supergirl is the 'Rainbow Dash'; Bumblebee is the 'Fluttershy', Wonder Woman is the 'Applejack', Batgirl is the 'Twilight' (mixed with Pinkie Pie), Zatanna is the 'Rarity'. And by process of elimination, JC Green Latern is the 'Spike'.

It's so jarring to have them completely change the art style, format, setting, etc. but still have the same title. I'd love to hear the story behind all of this.

Edited by Trini
8 hours ago, Trini said:

It's so jarring to have them completely change the art style, format, setting, etc. but still have the same title. I love to hear the story behind all of this.

I know.  My gut is, Cartoon Network said "Sure, we'll put them on our network!  But you'll need to make them more Cartoon-Networky!"

I've seen some of this:
This show is ridiculously hyper; but I guess that's kids' shows today.

Still not a fan of the art/animation style.

They seem to like including little DC in-jokes/references/easter eggs.

Thought it was hilarious that Oliver Queen as a theater nerd makes him a literal drama Queen, though!

• Love 1
On 3/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, MarkHB said:

I know.  My gut is, Cartoon Network said "Sure, we'll put them on our network!  But you'll need to make them more Cartoon-Networky!"

Forgot to mention, but the show is also a lot more violent than its previous incarnation. Yeah, it's "cartoon violence", but still. The show is overall more action focused, so that's one reason why. And there are definite heroes vs. villains in the storytelling; where the first version focused more on interpersonal conflicts.*

*(From what I can gather; I watched very little of the first series.)

Three Annie award nominations: https://www.awn.com/news/47th-annual-annie-award-nominations-announced

Best Character Design – TV/Media

DC Super Hero Girls, Episode: “#SweetJustice Pt. 1-4” - Warner Bros. Animation; Executive Producer: Lauren Faust

Best Direction – TV/Media

DC Super Hero Girls, Episode: “#DCSuperHeroBoys” - Warner Bros. Animation; Director: Natalie Wetzig

Best Editorial – TV/Media

DC Super Hero Girls, Episode: “#AdventuresInBunnysitting” - Warner Bros. Animation; Torien Blackwolf

The streaming service HBO Max has the following DC Super Hero Girls movies.

DC Super Hero Girls: Legends of Atlantis

DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year

DC Super Hero Girls: Intergalactic Games

Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Super-Villain High

• Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, AnimeMania said:

The streaming service HBO Max has the following DC Super Hero Girls movies.

HBO Max is now going to be "the place" for all the DC Universe stuff,

with the streaming service now becoming a "glorified" forum site.

I wonder if HBO will allow us to see the previous seasons of Young Justice and Titans soon???

Space House, the one-hour (4 parts) Teen Titans Go! X DC Super Hero Girls crossover special premiering Monday, May 31 at 6 p.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network.

The teen superheroes accept a mysterious invitation to enjoy a vacation getaway among the stars. The Space House is equipped with enough state-of-the-art technology that even Batgirl takes notice, complete with a massive TV fit for binging every episode of Muffin Wars – a superhero favorite – plus a 3-D printer snack machine that can supply Cyborg and Beast Boy with enough burgers, burritos and burgerritos to last an infinity. But where is the Space House headed and who invited them on this vacation in the first place? Robin, Wonder Woman, Raven, Supergirl and the rest of the crime-fighting heroes from the two toons join forces to solve this ultimate intergalactic mystery.

After the Space House crossover, DC Super Hero Girls returns with an all-new season of world-saving adventures beginning Sunday, June 6 at 8 a.m. ET/PT.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

DC Super Hero Girls: Season 1 (Original Soundtrack) from WaterTower Music 

dc-super-hero-girls-soundtrack-cover-127

All 16 Tracks can be found at these locations.

Super Life (Extended Main Title) - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Eyes on the Prize - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

A Million Volts - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Princess Pumpkin Pants. - Michael Gatt & Patrick Aaron Rieger

Really Real - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

In the City We Love - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Pomeranian Pomp - Michael Gatt

Villain Transformations - Michael Gatt

Too Much Fun - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Hero Transformations - Michael Gatt

You Can Always Come Back to Me - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Ra's Song (When You're Mine) - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

We Really Mean It - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

Ra's AI Cool - Michael Gatt

Save You with My Love - Dan Petty, Michelle Lewis & Kay Hanley

A Tale of Bold - Michael Gatt & Lauren Faust

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Episodes 25 and 26, are a two-part special episode entitled "#NightmareInGotham". It includes a teenage version of the Joker and will premiere on Cartoon Network Oct. 24.

This clip for the special episode also features promos for two new DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels. 
"DC Super Hero Girls: Exchange Students!" written by Amy Wolfman and illustrated by Agnes Garbowska, which is also a upcoming crossover special with Teen Titans Go!

"DC Super Hero Girls: Ghosting" written by Amanda Deibert and illustrated by Yancey Labat.

"#NightmareInGotham" synopsis

Babs and Harleen bring the girls to Gotham City to celebrate Halloween; however, the fun is put on hold when the Super Hero Girls run into Gotham's most notorious supervillain.