Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: The Brother In The Basement

WendyCR72

I know, partly one barely ended, but part 2 of this little adventure is up in the database, so here it is:

Another layer is added to the mystery of Booth's whereabouts and the state of his physical condition when the team discovers that FBI Agent Miller has not been entirely truthful with the FBI and the Jeffersonian, keeping vital information from them that could lead them to Booth. Meanwhile, the Jeffersonian gets a surprise visitor, FBI digital forensic scientist Dr. Benjamin Metzger, who works with Angela to try to decode the information the team has been able to uncover regarding Booth's location and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance. Also, Arastoo makes a major decision that affects his and Cam's personal and professional relationship.

So evil FBI lady who tried to frame Booth was lying to cover her affair with a coworker? And then walked away scott free at the end. 

Fingers crossed they don't reinvent her as an awesome investigator by episode five.

Meanwhile, pleased that they managed to cut off the angst after only two episodes.

• Love 2

I'm still confused.  How on earth did Jared end up being willing to sell out hundreds of federal agents?  I know he was in the Navy with that one guy but there seems to be a pretty big disconnect somewhere.

• Love 3

There were a few holes, as detailed by some of you above, but so far, I am REALLY liking the new show runners and their handling of these characters. And they are ESPECIALLY doing better where Booth and Brennan are concerned, especially allowing Brennan to be a real person again and not a quasi robot for comic relief or however HH/SN saw her.

• Love 4

I don't think they were minor holes, though. They wer some pretty major storytelling flaws, so that at the end I was left having no idea what exactly happened or why it happened. I don't think you can have good characterization if the plot makes no sense, because how can you say how someone would react in a situation that is completely incomprehensible?

• Love 4

I don't think they were minor holes, though. They wer some pretty major storytelling flaws, so that at the end I was left having no idea what exactly happened or why it happened. I don't think you can have good characterization if the plot makes no sense, because how can you say how someone would react in a situation that is completely incomprehensible?

Normally? I'd be completely agreeing with you, but since, I think, most of this was pulled on the fly due to DB's health crisis, for a rush job, I think it was entertaining enough.

Maybe more than some that were done "normally". I guess I'm just in a semi-forgiving mood. I can be cynical again if/when this goes to hell again.

• Love 6

I can be cynical again if/when this goes to hell again.

Yeah, I hear you on that, yet the lead agent's team missed a cut-off and baggied finger! An FBI crime scene team missed a pretty important piece of evidence. That should have gotten Miller's ass sat down for sloppiness.

By the way, was Roger Cross' character okay, shot, shot dead, or what? I am curious. His character did not want to kill Booth, so that buys him some slack from me.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I'm feeling pretty happy with the show right now so I guess I'm willing to overlook the potholes and just find it entertaining. It might have been because of the absolute faith Brennan showed, since I'm currently on the outs with that other couple-y crime solving show with new showrunners who chose to blow their main couple sky high in an even more ridiculous manner.

I don't think Kim Raver tried to frame Booth. I think she was trying to spin a narrative where Booth is the bad guy but I don't think she actually like, planted evidence tying him to it. She withheld info about her & her partner but I don't think she was plotting to get him caught up.

I'm encouraged about the season so far. Now don't fuck it up, new showrunners.

missed a cut-off and baggied finger! An FBI crime scene team missed a pretty important piece of evidence.

Sheesh. Was that the purpose of the "no time for snacks" lines?? To make it look like refrigerators are never searched for evidence??? Do the writers think the audience never watches other crime shows????

By the way, was Roger Cross' character okay, shot, shot dead, or what? I am curious. His character did not want to kill Booth, so that buys him some slack from me.

I can only guess they wanted to leave room for a return appearance by Roger F'n' Cross's character, but as what, after this story? He gets a Get Out Of Jail Free card if he goes on some Super Sekret Mission with Booth? Better to have killed his character off while saving Booth and have RC come back in a totally different role.
  • Love 1

I can only guess they wanted to leave room for a return appearance by Roger F'n' Cross's character, but as what, after this story?

Caroline seems like she might take into account that when push came to shove, Roger Cross's character chose to not kill Booth. He'd still have to do time, but maybe not as much, if Caroline and Booth have any input. Sadly, I can see your Super Sekret Mission scenario as well.

BTW, why isn't Patricia Belcher getting the Amanda Waller parts left right and center? I enjoy Viola Davis, but Caroline minus the Louisiana French could totally be The Wall. ( Sorry, /DC Comics fangirl rant.)

Patricia Belcher can make me watch a Geico ad. She should be in everything. They should seriously rewrite norwegian teenaged boy characters so she can play them. It's a real shame she doesn't get more to do.

• Love 3

Patricia Belcher can make me watch a Geico ad. She should be in everything. They should seriously rewrite norwegian teenaged boy characters so she can play them. It's a real shame she doesn't get more to do.

Yeah, I saw her in the latest Geico ad with the '80s rock band, Europe. She was grooving to "The Final Countdown". Hee. (I also remember her other Geico ad, the one with Maxwell the Pig at the DMV. She was the clerk.)

• Love 2

Sheesh. Was that the purpose of the "no time for snacks" lines?? To make it look like refrigerators are never searched for evidence??? Do the writers think the audience never watches other crime shows????

I think it was a very clumsy attempt to remind the audience of Aubrey's "funny" character trait - that he eats a lot.

Speaking of the fridge - or rather, the freezer - if they'd just put the finger in one of the frozen food boxes it would have made the FBI crime scene team not look quite so stupid (and if it had been in a box of frozen chicken fingers, a funnier (though inappropriate) joke than "no time for snacks." I mean seriously, the finger wasn't even disguised in any way.

I'm still confused.  How on earth did Jared end up being willing to sell out hundreds of federal agents?  I know he was in the Navy with that one guy but there seems to be a pretty big disconnect somewhere.

My memory is vague, and the connections were not clearly stated, but my take on it was that Jared desperately needed money to get back into his girlfriend/wife's good graces. He was talked into to doing something with his gang from his Navy days, and I think brought Sealy on board because he realized was in over his head and went to his big brother for help.

I did find it strange that he was seemingly accepted into the group, but the ones who turned on him were the ones who weren't explicitly told Sealy was untrustworthy - they were nasty to him from the get-go in the second episode.

Although I never disliked Arastoo and Cam, I am glad they took their story in a mature (and realistic) direction. No way should he have been hired to replace Bones while involved with Cam (and even while an intern, their relationship was dicey, human resources wise). Plus, he needed to work somewhere else to develop the chops to actually run a lab in the future.

• Love 4

Although I never disliked Arastoo and Cam, I am glad they took their story in a mature (and realistic) direction. No way should he have been hired to replace Bones while involved with Cam (and even while an intern, their relationship was dicey, human resources wise). Plus, he needed to work somewhere else to develop the chops to actually run a lab in the future.

I was OK with the two of them together until the incident with the identity theft came up. That was straight-up condescending unrealistic bullshit, and she should have ignored him. Won't they feel righteous when this woman steals someone else's life, and surely Cam has plenty of time to fix her credit now that she has to explain why she chose to let the person who defrauded the credit card companies go so she can avoid unattractive anger-stains on her soul?

Right, because he who is without sin should be requiring that of the woman who's endangering her career for him. He shouldn't have been dating his boss, if he's that righteous, since he clearly wasn't qualified to do the job.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I think it was a very clumsy attempt to remind the audience of Aubrey's "funny" character trait - that he eats a lot.

Speaking of the fridge - or rather, the freezer - if they'd just put the finger in one of the frozen food boxes it would have made the FBI crime scene team not look quite so stupid (and if it had been in a box of frozen chicken fingers, a funnier (though inappropriate) joke than "no time for snacks." I mean seriously, the finger wasn't even disguised in any way.

My memory is vague, and the connections were not clearly stated, but my take on it was that Jared desperately needed money to get back into his girlfriend/wife's good graces. He was talked into to doing something with his gang from his Navy days, and I think brought Sealy on board because he realized was in over his head and went to his big brother for help.

I did find it strange that he was seemingly accepted into the group, but the ones who turned on him were the ones who weren't explicitly told Sealy was untrustworthy - they were nasty to him from the get-go in the second episode.

Well stated.

• Love 1