Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: PhDead

WendyCR72

My first thought after I watched was a reminder that Chad is still a terrible writer. But I've thought that for awhile, so nothing new there.

Poor Castle. He's still so confused about why she left. I get that he knows she still loves him (that felt like a giant anvil in this episode), but that only makes his sad confusion worse. Yes, Beckett is sad too, but she also has the benefit of the whole story right now. And I'd still like to see more anger on his part. 

I was annoyed by "Lucy," but I also find whatever the Amazon equivalent is incredibly annoying. Did anyone else notice the big fat Apple ad in the episode? I also noticed Marlowe is still listed as a consultant in the end credits.

Even Smith tells her to back off and she doesn't listen. Does she want to live as a ghost too? Because he's essentially telling her that's where this is headed.

Edited by S55
  • Love 2

There was one other thing I found problematic about the way Alexis is being promoted (in both senses of the word). I found her "50 Shades of Grey" humor kind of smarmy, especially directed at Ryan and Esposito. I suppose it's to emphasize how "mature" she's become, but it felt uncomfortably like a niece stressing her sexuality before two uncles (I suppose someone, somewhere, is developing Alexis-Espo fanfic, which would be -- different).

Yeah that made me wince, Alexis discussing bondage with her dad present and the boys and of course she's takes the lead in the conversation and drops the 50 Shades reference and I'm like...urgh please stop. Matt at TV Line picked up on this whole situation with Alexis and it's not working for me. I don't honestly know what they're trying to do with the character this season but whatever its is I don't find her remotely interesting as a character and that's lethal.  I liked Espo this week and I especially liked him pointing out the fact that Castle was using his daughter as bait dressed like a "slutty angel" at a party full of drunken frat boys, I found that bizarre. It's like they're trying to make them partners in crime solving but the parent/child dynamic is all over the place and I can't get to grips with it. 

I liked the case of the week but I found the episode weighted down by Castle and Beckett's break up. Beckett leaving Castle to work on this case really doesn't make sense and it outs her in a bad, and quite frankly immature light. And Castle is chasing after Kate again, isn't 5 years enough? Where's the Castle that told her that she could throw her life away on her mother's case if she wanted, but she couldn't expect him to wait around for her? I thought it was strange how Castle was okay with using Alexis to find out about the case, he's typically more protective of her. And I really didn't like how Martha and Alexis were so apathetic to Beckett leaving Castle. You'd think they'd have a bigger reaction to Kate leaving Castle for another case. Lanie pissed me off when she threw Castle's disappearance in his face. He was kidnapped, he had no control over what happened, unlike the current situation with Beckett.

Alexis looked pretty good in her sexy angel costume.

I've been wondering this for a while and I'd appreciate someone's help on this: is Beckett's last name "Castle" and Beckett is now her second middle namd or did she keep her maiden name? I like the alliteration of "Kate Castle".

• Love 1
I was annoyed by "Lucy," but I also find whatever the Amazon equivalent and Siri is incredibly annoying. Did anyone else notice the big fat Apple ad in the episode? I also noticed Marlowe is still listed as a consultant in the end credits.

Even the damn computer realized that this kind behavior in a marrige eventually leads to divorce.

• Love 2

Kate: "I hope I haven't hurt him to much" Huh? Of course you've hurt him good God woman. She walked out on her marriage without any decent explanation. Sometimes they make Kate look so emotionally stunted it's laughable.

She knows she hurt him. She wasn't thinking that there was a chance she didn't. She was saying she hopes she hasn't hurt him too much to make the marriage work when she is done with her revenge/justice obsession That's not being emotionally stunted, I think it's a reasonable thing for her to think (considering the circumstances). She's just being stupid and obsessive.

I wonder why Castle hasn't put together what's going on. At the very least he should realize it has to do with something that happened while she was on the run. We had happy loved-up Caskett in the seasons opening, she gets a call from Vikram, vanishes, tells him she can't explain, the comes home and moves out. It's kind of obvious there's a connection. He asked her last week if it was about Bracken and Rachel and she didn't answer.

• Love 1

I didn't think the episode was bad, in fact it was fairly entertaining.  BUT:

I get the impression that Alex and Terrence are basically re-writing the story from that hangar where Montgomery was shot.  Heck, they even took us back to a hangar and a shoot out last week.  I guess I just find it silly that the therapy Kate went through has been thrown out the window, the marriage (even though the wedding sucked), thrown out the window and any kind of life they've built (Alexis accepting Beckett), thrown out the window, all in the name of bringing back Beckett's mom's murder case?  It's like they're hoping that we don't notice that there have been 4 other seasons since Kate was shot?

I get that Kate doesn't want Castle to investigate (and he will eventually) but why not explain that she needs time because this fed case really threw her for a loop?  I think he would kinda understand.  As it is, she's just giving him weird mixed signals..."this is about me"  "I still love you of course"  "just give me time."  I also can't figure out why Alexis and Martha are supportive of him trying to win her back.  No one in their lives really seem to care that they've apparently separated.

Did anyone think to time how long Castle and Beckett were onscreen together last night?  It must've been under 5 minutes. 

Does Alexis have a life or friends her own age?  Was Pi just a one of?  Why is she spending her days as PI?  Can they please just say she's graduated early, decided to start dressing like a mid-30's lawyer and at least clear up that mystery.  I know she thinks it's an internship, but interns don't dress like that or run the entire office or police investigations.  It's bizarre.

It's amusing how all these people are pushing her back into Rick arms telling her to leave well alone and there's poor Kate with pained looks and furrowed brow going no! I must press on! The Lady is Not for Turning!  They really need to tone this down because it's simply highlighting just HOW dumb the whole situation is but I did wonder with Smith saying she could be killed whether this is a set up for a possible cliffhanger moment (if they get renewal) as she gets shot again and if Katic wants to leave they can have Castle as the tragic widower in S9 lol.

I thought it was significant that Matt Mitovich (excerpt below) dedicated a section of his review to this as if to say come on guys who are you trying to kid here, this is a dumbass story. Fans should take note because he's one of the very few reasonable mainstream reviewers left that follow Castle regularly and promote it.  

A shortcoming that was highlighted in TVLine’s 20ish Questions column looked just as bad as feared, when illustrated during this first post-breakup episode — and that is Kate’s wafer-thin reasoning for the split, which for all practical purposes thus far is in name only. For heck’s sake, at one point in the precinct she even had her hands affectionately draped on Rick — a terribly risky oversight if she is worrying (and we must assume she is) that LOCKSAT’s people are forever eyeballing her.

Not to mention the meet and greet with hubby in the Dean's office, again if Locksat is this all powerful all knowing super big bad that has eyes and ears everywhere which necessitate Kate's super secret investigative operation her feeble attempt at distancing herself from Castle in order to keep him safe and out of the way is proving an epic failure, as for "wafer thin" that's an insult to a wafer, they've got much more substance and nutritional value.

• Love 2

This is one of the dumbest plot lines I have ever heard of. I am through watching Castle. I watched for years Castle lovesick trying to win over Kate and I am not going through it again. Good bye Castle and cast

I get that Kate doesn't want Castle to investigate (and he will eventually) but why not explain that she needs time because this fed case really threw her for a loop?  I think he would kinda understand.  As it is, she's just giving him weird mixed signals..."this is about me"  "I still love you of course"  "just give me time."

It bothers me how Castle's seemingly convinced himself it's his responsibility to "fix" this and how confusing it must be given her strange behaviour. It's all very well Kate saying she loves him every time he pushes for an answer but you can't use that constantly as a get out clause for avoiding being open when it's obvious the person you care about is hurting. I know the argument is if she tells him he'll investigate and may be he will but it's showing him a distinct lack of respect as as an adult that she's deciding he can't be trusted to understand, so she makes the decision on his behalf like he's an irresponsible child and that feels wrong to me. It's like she's taken away his agency to be allowed to have a say in something that affecting his life not just hers in a big way.

I was annoyed by "Lucy," but I also find whatever the Amazon equivalent and Siri is incredibly annoying.

I liked Lucy she's the perfect solution to the current situation for Rick, he can dump Beckett and shack up with her.

Look at the positives:

She talks to him about his problems and offers advice. 

She won't run off and leave him.

She's not interested in sex but can talk dirty to him if necessary.

He won't have to worry about present giving ever again.

That's...weird. Who wears his or her watch to sleep in?

Um... I do. Never take it off - except to change watches. Otherwise always have on a watch that is suitable for work... or diving, since it once cost almost $300 to refurbish a "water resistant" Movado that went snorkeling...

Good and entertaining episode - if I hadn't seen all episodes post "Always".

Unfortunately, I can't shut down my brain while watching the show, and I envy everyone who can just roll with the flow.

I was impressed how well NF and SK could pull off the old banter between them. That was really well done.

Sadly, none of it makes sense, and I just can't get past it.

• Love 2

I didn't mean anyone should seriously go to her and ask why, except for Lanie, who SHOULD be that close to her, but they are BFF in name only. I have seen absolutely not one scene where I felt these women shared that kind of bond. There's a whole lot of telling and no showing.

But what I meant was, the guys should be kind of nagging Kate and telling her to take Castle back and things like that. Like telling her to look at how sad he is. How he seems upset. How much better they work together. No, it's not their place to sit her down and ask about her marriage, but they love Castle and should and would be nagging her about it.

Now that Beckett is captain, that puts a new barrier between her and the boys. You can't go around nagging your boss about personal issues like that. Especially someone like Beckett who goes on the attack when she feels cornered. And she and Lanie have never really been as close as they pretend to be. Kate's never really opened up to her like she has with Castle (or used to do with Castle).

Castle should have refused to boost Kate up in the jail cell until she answered his question about why she can't tell him what's going on or why counseling won't work. Wasn't that the whole point of locking her up?

• Love 1

Castle should have refused to boost Kate up in the jail cell until she answered his question about why she can't tell him what's going on or why counseling won't work. Wasn't that the whole point of locking her up?

Shhhh... don't let logic get in the way of Plot. ;)

• Love 4

Did someone say that to get the faculty position, Castle bought himself a PhD and made a donation to the university?

Kate said/guessed he gave a donation to get the professor gig, but we didn't hear confirmation on what that really meant.

Edited by KaveDweller

Did someone say that to get the faculty position, Castle bought himself a PhD and made a donation to the university?

Kate said/guessed he gave a donation to get the professor gig, but we didn't hear confirmation on what that really meant.

I thought that I heard Castle say "guest professor" in one of his comments.

Yeah nothing makes sense since even if Castle is really adjunct instructor level, who's gonna start a class weeks into the quarter/semester unless Hudson is on the block system where you could get guest professors to teach a class or two. Then again Hudson would probably be happy to have anyone with all the crimes committed on campus over the years. I kinda wish Dean Kelly Rowan had a snarky comment about it since the Creaseys wrote in the killer was teaching at Hudson last season invisible suit ep.

Kate: "What did you think I was going to be stuck in the office because I was captain ?"

When I watched the episode again this line really stuck out and then I saw on tumblr Chad's comment:

Chad Gomez Creasey ‏@chadgcreasey  14 hrs14 hours ago

See?! Don't expect to see Beckett behind that captain's desk often. #Castle

It was as if the writers was speaking directly to the audience since this had been one of the major concerns when it was announced she would be captain. But the thing is the captain's job does involve being stuck in an office for most of the time, that's what happened with Montgomery, Gates and in theory is should be exactly the same for Beckett but of course they can't have that happen so they've completely ignoring it. 

It's early days but I'm wondering if we are going to see any serious development in terms of how Beckett's new job impacts on her life given that so far I wouldn't even know she was captain unless I heard someone say it, she can apparently come and go as she pleases like any of her lower ranking detectives. 

Another WTF moment for me was watching them approach Peter's flat, Alexis is just tagging along with Castle and yet Espo and Ryan don't say a word, they draw their guns either side of the door Alexis steps in front of the door and then they open it do the usual call out and she walks casually in. They haven't searched the place properly, she has no protective vest on or any special training, as we've already seen there could be someone hiding in there with a gun or ready to physically attack and yet Castle and co are happily letting Alexis wonder around. This is why I dislike the father-daughter detective act they're forcing on to me because it doesn't make sense character wise for Castle as a previously protective and loving parent to treat the welfare of his only child so casually.

At this point, I would be more than happy for Alexis to get injured when she's investigating to give Castle a huge wake up call. 

Edited by verdana

I'm a casual viewer and I think I missed an episode so maybe I deserve to be confused, but WTH?  The last I saw, Beckett and Vikram were hiding out in some old abandoned building and men with guns were coming after them.  Now everything is apparently right as rain, nobody is currently trying to kill them, and they are free to hang out at the station?  Yet Beckett still won't go back to Castle?  This is a stupid story that makes no sense.

Castle was awfully cheerful about waking up in his penthouse alone, considering that they haven't even been married that long and his wife just told him she wants her space.  The whole thing as written and presented is just goofy.

• Love 1

Call me crazy but I enjoy watching Castle as a PI with Alexis as his assistant. I am so sick of the romance with Beckett. How many more times can they break them apart and put them back together? It's getting to be incredibly dull. She can go now. I want my silly, lighthearted Castle back. 

• Love 4

The two things I liked in the episode was the use of season 1 music in the scene transition to Beckett, Ryan and Espo walking onto campus and the bubble cigars.

Now on to the things I didn’t like.

No one seems at all concerned that Kate has walked out on Rick without an explanation. Lividity Laine’s “he’s a grown ass man” - what in sweet jesus was that? Your so called best friend has just walked out on her husband for a reason even unknown to her and Castle needs to basically get over it?

Alexis’ role needs to be cut down not expanded, Molly Quinn was fine acting as a teenager while she was one (its not that difficult) however as an adult she leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest a crowd funding scheme for acting lessons but I just want her gone now. And don’t get me started on the frat party horror, if Rick can just waltz in there anyway what was the point of her?

Which brings me to the new look PI office and after 3 episodes, I hate it.

Vikram - wooden actor, wooden storyline and just pointless.

Caskett - instead of kiss/sexy times interruptus, it is now conversation interruptus but what can be said, Kate doesn’t know why she’s doing it, her way of doing it doesn’t protect anyone and Rick thinks he needs to win her back. The use of stand ins some scenes was also rather obvious with how they filmed certain things. Also, after me praising Stana’s acting last week - it felt like she was going through the motions this week especially in the jail cell when she said “I love you, I always will” - awful.

Kate: "What did you think I was going to be stuck in the office because I was captain ?"

I don't understand why she didn't say the same thing to Castle when she was asking him to come to work with her way back in episode 1.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 1

I know it's a TV show and just fiction. But why make Beckett a captain at all if she was just going to do/act like the status quo?

To show how intelligent and fantabulous she is said to be? She could have continued to do that as the Shining Beacon of Detective Hope of the NYPD. But this is just...dumb.

• Love 3

Castle: Ph. Dead – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland

Had to chuckle at Lee's description of Alexis:

Alexis is the new impossible-to-believe character. Out of nowhere she’s suddenly a computer expert, a crackerjack investigator who knows more about police work than seasoned veterans, and she’s a master at working undercover. Her computer skills are beyond amazing, and she has access to things only accessible to law enforcement. And…she, like her dad, now tags along when Esposito and Ryan search buildings for dangerous bad guys. It was bad enough seeing Castle charge headfirst and unarmed into potential gunfire situations, but now we have the daughter doing the same. Please…

No fan of Bowman either:

And please, TURN ON THE LIGHTS!
Edited by verdana

Another WTF moment for me was watching them approach Peter's flat, Alexis is just tagging along with Castle and yet Espo and Ryan don't say a word, they draw their guns either side of the door Alexis steps in front of the door and then they open it do the usual call out and she walks casually in. They haven't searched the place properly, she has no protective vest on or any special training, as we've already seen there could be someone hiding in there with a gun or ready to physically attack and yet Castle and co are happily letting Alexis wonder around. This is why I dislike the father-daughter detective act they're forcing on to me because it doesn't make sense character wise for Castle as a previously protective and loving parent to treat the welfare of his only child so casually.

At this point, I would be more than happy for Alexis to get injured when she's investigating to give Castle a huge wake up call. 

It is weird.  Beckett showed more concern about Castle's well being back in season 1 than Castle is doing with Alexis.  It's also weird how she just disappeared in the middle of the episode too.  Castle left the prison with the psychology teacher and told everyone to stay there.  He gets to the precinct then goes back with Ryan and Esposito.  But we don't see Alexis again until the ending.

I don't know if anyone watches The Good Wife, but in their season opener this week they had the lead character's daughter functioning as her assistant at her new (out of the home) law firm.  It's even stranger there, because I think the girl is still in high school and has a tendency to be even more annoying than Alexis.  But at least she isn't going into dangerous situations.

I watched it today. Wow, what an excellent season 4 episode. Wait, it's season 8? Could've fooled me.

This explains the season 8 poster using images from season 4.  It's not just them being lazy.

No one seems at all concerned that Kate has walked out on Rick without an explanation. Lividity Laine’s “he’s a grown ass man” - what in sweet jesus was that? Your so called best friend has just walked out on her husband for a reason even unknown to her and Castle needs to basically get over it?

I'm actually surprised that the boys and Lanie even knew about the breakup, since they all said that Castle and Beckett hadn't talked to them. I don't mind Lanie not pressing her for answers, but her comment about Castle being a grown ass man was just dumb.  But Lanie tends to give awful advice.

I wonder if we'll see Jim Beckett.

I know it's a TV show and just fiction. But why make Beckett a captain at all if she was just going to do/act like the status quo?

It does seem rather pointless.  That line from Beckett was clearly them talking to the audience, and I get why the writers want to keep her in the field.  But then why not just keep her a detective? They could still address her having taken the Captain's exam and say she is on track to be promoted.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

They've ruined Castle, he was originally a suave, care free successful man and over protective father with a child like side. He is unrecognizable now. A push over with no standing, zero, in his own relationship. Childish is the adjective that most accurately describes him. His actions as a father defy logic, common sense, and decency.  What college girl , in the company of two adult males and her dad starts the discussion about the BDSM dungeon?  What dad participates in that?

About the "slutty angel" thing, college parties come in all shapes and sizes and dress codes, especially costumes parties.  BUT NOBODY'S DAD IS THERE....JESUS.  Original Castle was a great dad.  As smart and "advanced" as his little girl was, he always watched out for her safety and well being.  It was one of the things that made him attractive and likable as a character. There is NO dad on the planet who would have his little girl dress up in like that. None.  Much less have her to go a frat party dressed like that.  This version of Castle the character is gross, and inept, and a huge loser.  Who would want to be with him?

They've also ruined Beckett.  Original Beckett was a little off.  A woman on a mission.  Closed off, focused, wounded, but relatable.  Early days she mentioned some of the challenges of being a woman in a man's world at the NYPD.  Now she's super Beckett.  Righter of wrongs, avenger of all things. She can walk in and out of the precinct as she pleases, desk duty and paperwork be damned.  She can walk in and out of her marriage as she pleases, when "she needs time".  She doesn't have to explain herself to anyone.  Her husband, her bosses, her friends.  She's teflon, and she's a taker, not a giver.  Original Beckett had depth.  Who would want to be with current Beckett? She's all one way, can't commit (except to a crusade) and feels no obligation to compromise with anyone. 

Alexis wasn't my favorite to start with, but this mashup of Veronica Mars meets Nancy Drew wrapped up in 40 yr olds wardrobe is so off putting that I can't watch her scenes.  No offense is meant here to the actress.  Its the character. Friendless, unable to detach from daddy (with whom she has no normal boundaries), and a know it all.  Awesome. 

Martha - still supporting her son and injecting her wisdom. The only one of the Castle family who is not afraid to have a conversation with Beckett and also call her by her first name.  Martha is also the only character who seemed natural around Beckett at the loft, and visa-versa.   Sure, she got a little too familiar in one episode but overall, as Castle's only adult friend, she's a real value add and helps the story along.  PLEASE don't ruin Martha.  She's the secret sauce. 

I was amazed over the MilMar years at how tone deaf they were.  This season, and this episode leave me shaking my head, wondering if "tone deaf" is the problem, or if the show runners and writers are so constrained by the rumored demands of the cast that this is the best they can come up with.  Nobody would write this show this way if they had a choice. Would they?  I am speculating of course, but it walks like a duck and talks like a duck. 

• Love 4

To show how intelligent and fantabulous she is said to be? She could have continued to do that as the Shining Beacon of Detective Hope of the NYPD. But this is just...dumb.

I think this was strictly a business decision. This way they could get rid of Gates & not have to replace her character. This also allowed them to bring in Hayley without expanding the cast.

Call me crazy but I enjoy watching Castle as a PI with Alexis as his assistant. I am so sick of the romance with Beckett. How many more times can they break them apart and put them back together? It's getting to be incredibly dull. She can go now. I want my silly, lighthearted Castle back.

I'd gladly watch that show

To give the writers some credit, this is the first time the writers have broken them apart and are planning to put back together.  

Other shows do the on-again off-again thing, and I always appreciated that Castle didn't do that.  Until now, anyway.

Edited by KaveDweller

So I'm all alone on my private island as one who did enjoy the episode? :P

Maybe I'm more zen about the characters than in the past, maybe I've gotten better at handwaving ludicrous plots, maybe I just really wanted some change from Marlowe style, maybe I was more open to rolling with it and enjoying the ride especially if it may be the last season, maybe I was just happy to see Caskett chemistry, but I truly did find the episode entertaining.  A litmus test is whether I zoned out during the episode, and I truly didn't here.  There was no ad nauseam interrogation to bore me out of my wits.   There were some witty lines as well as some heartfelt sentiments.  It wasn't just bland opening loft scene, endless COTW exposition even if it's Caskett doing it, with another bland closing loft scene.  There was movement, there was energy, there were stakes (even if they are mostly absurd!).

Yes, i get that not everyone's pleased with how Beckett or even Castle are reacting to this contrived separation.  But if it were Marlowe writing this, we'd probably just get an opening scene where Beckett says she doesn't want to discuss it, and then it would be boring case investigation business as usual with the characters seemingly unaffected.  At least here I felt they were trying to follow through and the emotional impact was shown, even if again not everything made sense.

I thought Nathan in particular did a great job showing Castle's vulnerability, insecurities and confusion while coming off as a man with a plan who loves his wife very much and who was determined not to lose her.  He made you feel his heartbreak.  But taking action, trying to stay positive, not giving up.  A guy I would root for.   And great job with the fun scenes.  Stana can occasionally miss with me right now, maybe because I'm finding it hard to understand where Beckett's head is at and she can come off as a little too 'hard'.  Her badass conspiracy investigation scenes are difficult to take seriously, sweaty kickboxing included.  But their scenes together are still gelling for me.  

And how cool is it that Aubrey Plaza is the voice of Lucy?!  How did they manage that?  I hope Lucy sticks around to snark and to advise.

Lanie's advice has gone from bad to worse.  Maybe she should stick to talking with the dead.

Are bubble cigars a thing?  Is Dial a Puppy a thing?  Either way, I liked their inclusion.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

I'm out till the stupidness is over - the only thing that would make me take a peek again before is if I read that Castle has ditched his pitiful sad sack attempts to yet again win back a woman who is dull as dishwater and has as much regard for him as a piece of dirt and stays away from her and we see him, once again, out with some beautiful vacuous woman in his convertible - I want her to worry that she blew it and have her do whatever it takes to win him back or I don't want to see this thing at all.

I never much cared for the romance one way or the other but I do care when something is written has badly as this and they turn themselves inside out to twist the story into something so juvenile and stupid.

See ya on the other side some day!  

No, I enjoyed it more than I expected to, especially after the huge disappointment I felt last week. I actually laughed out loud at certain points, which I haven't done in a long time while watching Castle. I liked the energy. (Mostly. I thought the Beckett/Vikram investigating scenes were really discordant with the rest of the episode. Maybe that's what they were going for, but they took me out of the episode at times.) I thought Nathan was fantastic throughout the episode, both in the more comedic moments, and in the times when Castle's struggle shone through. And I think those glasses can stick around. I liked Beckett's love eyeballs and loving looks, because Stana really has those down pat. 

I even enjoyed Alexis, as implausible as it is that Castle would really drag her around to potentially dangerous places that way, and even Vikram, who provided some light in those really serious Loksat moments. I also liked Castle with the boys. 

But all of the above does require me to handwave the overarching break-up plot. I've read a few well-articulated posts on Tumblr trying to explain why Beckett's behavior makes sense, but I remain largely unconvinced. I see where they're coming from, but seeing her in "badass and determined" mode in the face of Castle's confusion and pain leaves me troubled with her choice. 

Edited by metaphor
  • Love 2

Basically agreed with your entire post, metaphor, but it's not going to stop me from quoting it.  Glad to see there are others on the island!

I liked the energy.

Same.  It just felt more... energetic.  Heh.  More back and forth banter between all the characters and better pacing accounting for it, maybe.

(Mostly. I thought the Beckett/Vikram investigating scenes were really discordant with the rest of the episode. Maybe that's what they were going for, but they took me out of the episode at times.)

Same.  This was the element that I thought was on a more uncertain footing.  Tone wise, plot wise, character wise.

I thought Nathan was fantastic throughout the episode, both in the more comedic moments, and in the times when Castle's struggle shone through. And I think those glasses can stick around. 

Agreed.  And with the way Castle was written and portrayed, I wasn't frustrated with him like I was during the Pi arc (doormat) or S4 secrets arc (douchebag).

Fan of glasses in general, not sure about this particular pair.  Still, I wish Beckett had stuck around to appreciate the glasses and the bow tie.

I liked Beckett's love eyeballs and loving looks, because Stana really has those down pat.

Yep.  This is one of the strengths in her portrayal of Beckett, and I really need those more than ever given the character's choices.  Definitely need the right words and lessons learnt to go with the looks down the line though.  Loved that sneaky look of love she gave Castle after beer pong.

I even enjoyed Alexis, as implausible as it is that Castle would really drag her around to potentially dangerous places that way, and even Vikram, who provided some light in those really serious Loksat moments. I also liked Castle with the boys.

Same.  Handwaving the potential risk to Alexis in her new line of work as much as possible because I think the writers really just wanted to give the character something more to do for a change, weave her into the A story more, i.e. the COTWs.  I'm a Veronica Mars/Nancy Drew fan so maybe I'm not predisposed to be bothered by a young investigator.  And the college setting was a good fit here.  I wasn't put off by her more adult banter with her Dad/the boys because Alexis is what, 21, now?  50 Shades and the internet generation.  It would be surprising if she didn't know a lot.  And the squicked out reaction from the men was spot on.  It was like Castle being squicked out when Martha goes on about her love life.  

The boys' banter was all round livelier.  Not so much just pure exposition as in the past.  Laughed at how the college suspect burned Ryan and Esposito and the Castle in the lecture hall, but he got him back.

But all of the above does require me to handwave the overarching break-up plot. I've read a few well-articulated posts on Tumblr trying to explain why Beckett's behavior makes sense, but I remain largely unconvinced. I see where they're coming from, but seeing her in "badass and determined" mode in the face of Castle's confusion and pain leaves me troubled with her choice.

Exactly how I feel.  

• Love 1

I enjoyed it too.  The Alexis stuff annoys me, but not so much that it stopped me from enjoying the rest of the episode.

And as much as hand waving is required to deal with the break up stuff, I do like the energy between Castle and Beckett in their scenes.

The only way I can make sense of Beckett's behavior is by thinking she's influenced by some psychological problem.  Which is sad, hence my hand waving the whole thing.

And how cool is it that Aubrey Plaza is the voice of Lucy?!  How did they manage that?  I hope Lucy sticks around to snark and to advise.

Speaking of Lucy, did anyone else notice how Castle came out of his bedroom in the morning and saw the package on the counter then ran over excited? Didn't he see his mail the night before when he brought it in? Alexis and Martha don't seem to be living there now.

Edited by KaveDweller

I enjoyed it but Alexis buying a case of 50 year old scotch with her father's money.....WTF?? Give me a break! What 20 year old sips on a scotch with their Dad at the end of the day??? I guess I can just add it to the collection of bad choices for this season - Beckett's wig being another!

The thing is, as a few people have mentioned, she's not acting like their boss. Nothing really has changed in the dynamic of their relationship. She was always kinda the the boss of them, right? She didn't reprimand them and act boss-like when the guys were caught putting Castle into the case. She joked with them and went about her day.

They don't seem to be acting different around each other.

Also, about the reviewer who mentioned that Beckett lovingly put her hands on Castle while in public view, I did laugh. 

And why do they keep bringing up Castle's disappearance, like that makes what she's doing totally okay?

I didn't think she was joking with them when she found out about Castle, I thought she sounded legitimately pissed off.  Not Gates level of pissed off, but still angry. You're right that nothing has changed on screen, but it should, so that's how I'm explaining things in my head.  Nothing else makes sense.  

They keep bringing up his disappearance so we remember it happened when they decide to revisit the storyline.  And while it doesn't make what Kate's doing okay, it is kind of a similar situation (after getting kidnapped Castle seemingly cooperated), so the writers probably think that's how they'll redeem Kate and balance the relationship.

I generally enjoyed the episode from the perspective of writing, some freshness, some banter, the guys are okay with Castle this year, I thought they appeared befuddled by the breakup...all good.  I thought it was ridiculous Castle joined the frat party but funny when Esposito actually got through to him that he shouldn't have sent Alexis in...I don't exactly think that I"m watching the show CASTLE though...

• Love 1

Did the woman who ran the prison (who they thought at first was the one having the affair with the victim) look a little too much like Toks to anyone else? Especially in the first picture they showed of her.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Castle came out of his bedroom in the morning and saw the package on the counter then ran over excited? Didn't he see his mail the night before when he brought it in?

That threw me too. Perhaps his loft has concierge service? Bring in mail, change the sheets. Actually just having a housekeeper would explain it, and one was mentioned a while back when XYZ3PO was threatening the family.

thought it was ridiculous Castle joined the frat party

Well university is a long way back for me, but it was not unusual at my school to have faculty members come to house parties (the one that Leonard Cohen attended was memorable) or even just dinner at our commune. And we went to their homes too.

Actually, many universities have writers in residence. Mordecai Richler was our WiR the last year I attended. He gave creative writing lectures and some workshops, but mostly hid out the the Lockmaster's Cottage and wrote in more privacy than he could get in Montreal. So Castle giving a lecture or two was nothing odd.

look a little too much like Toks

It's the standard Hollywood pretty thing. All the women look alike. It takes a strong actor to get past the insistence on pretty faces (Look at what Renee Zwellinger did -- or Jennifer Grey) and be allowed to have a face with character.

It's why I hate Beckett's stupid pageant/Hollywood hair so much. Her Season One hair showed part of her character (more interested in the job than her looks).

Edited by femmefan1946

It's like they're trying to make [Alexis and Castle] partners in crime solving but the parent/child dynamic is all over the place and I can't get to grips with it.

I know its unrealistic and they've gone a little overboard, I'm a total sucker for the whole Veronica Mars vibe of it. 

So, you all actually still like the Beckett character? You don't find her a self involved, bitch? You still feel Caskett is viable relationship?

I know this is a weird distinction, but I don't hate the Beckett character at all, I hate the obvious plot contrivance that her character has been placed in to manufacture drama. While Beckett has never been my favorite character, nothing that we've seen from her so far in seven seasons leads me to believe she would torpedo her marriage in such a way. Not only is this whole "break up" out of character, but the reasoning doesn't even make logical sense. 

It bothers me how Castle's seemingly convinced himself it's his responsibility to "fix" this and how confusing it must be given her strange behaviour.

I don't think that Castle thinks it's his responsibility, but he WANTS to fix things. He wants his wife back. I know some people think its strange or pathetic that Castle is trying to win back Kate, but I think it would be bizarre if he DIDN'T try to win her back. It's his wife! Should he just let her walk out the door, obviously grappling with a problem, and not try to help? 

• Love 2
I don't think that Castle thinks it's his responsibility, but he WANTS to fix things. He wants his wife back. I know some people think its strange or pathetic that Castle is trying to win back Kate, but I think it would be bizarre if he DIDN'T try to win her back. It's his wife! Should he just let her walk out the door, obviously grappling with a problem, and not try to help? 

Do you think Castle's attitude should/will change once he realizes WHY she has left him? Do you think there's a difference between him thinking she is having a problem with something to actual knowledge that she is becoming obsessed over a case again? The knowledge that she had a chance to walk away and return to her life, and instead she is potentially putting herself (and him) in danger to pursue something she could of easily walked away from.

There's a distinction in my eyes. Currently Castle doesn't know what is going on, so I believe he should want to find out what is going on, he deserves to have Beckett tell him. BUT I don't think he necessarily has to enable her in her obsession once he finds out the real reason either. There's a line, no? Why should he wait (or be expected to wait) indefinitely for Beckett to sort herself out? Should Castle just be expected to wait again in the future once another case gets her attention like this? Where is the line? Why is Castle always the one waiting?

They are in a relationship, she can't just walk away from their marriage when it suits her so that she can focus entirely on her obsession. Life doesn't work like that. Beckett is being selfish, and taking advantage of him. You really think Castle should help her feed that? Why should Castle have to put up with it?

Castle shouldn't be expected to just accept this behavior. He shouldn't be expected to have his marriage put on hold whenever she wants (with the knowledge that she wants to return to it at a later date). I would shocked/disappointed if his attitude/actions don't change once he gains knowledge to the real reason she left.

Maybe next week they'll give us a spot of pissed off douchebaggy Castle since Hawley seems set on making the show more drama based than simple fun and fluff.

I'd like to see Castle annoyed, he has a right to be since everyone seems to be treating what's happened like they've had some minor tiff and Kate won't talk to him. I just pray if they do go there the execution of it is better than Marlowe's hamfisted efforts.

Edited by verdana

There's a distinction in my eyes. Currently Castle doesn't know what is going on, so I believe he should want to find out what is going on, he deserves to have Beckett tell him. BUT I don't think he necessarily has to enable her in her obsession once he finds out the real reason either. There's a line, no? Why should he wait (or be expected to wait) indefinitely for Beckett to sort herself out? Should Castle just be expected to wait again in the future once another case gets her attention like this? Where is the line? Why is Castle always the one waiting?

I think once he finds out he needs to insist she stop and maybe help her deal with this obsession of hers. But definitely not just sit by while she gets herself killed. I wonder if the "shift" we're going to see down the line is Castle finding out what's going on, getting mad, and then seeing Beckett pursuing him for forgiveness.

I don't think what Castles doing now is waiting though. Like Beckett said in this episode she asks him for space and he locks her up in a jail cell with him. And yes, while he's talking to others he's being lighthearted about "winning her back." But that seems like a front to me. When he's talking to Kate he's being more serious and just pushing her to answer his questions. He's not just trying to charm her into coming home, he wants too deal with the problem. That's why I don't see it as him being a doormat. The only problem is it's Castle, so they always have to be interrupted before she can answer him.

I was also rewatching the episode and realized why I really liked all the Caskett scenes. They felt very intimate. A common complaint is that their personal scenes can come across as superficial, but these felt deeper to me.

• Love 2