Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E02: Survivor MacGyver

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Thank you, for not being the only one who sees Spencer for the suckup that he is. I'd be personally embarrassed if I had given that "please, PLEASE like me!!" speech.

What was Spencer suppose to say? He knew he was in the bottom and had to defend himself and say something to keep himself in the game. Spencer told them he would work on the social game and I think they rather keep him around knowing that they could vote him out if they lost next week (if he didn't find the idol or they lost the immunity challenge, plus not knowing what's going to happen next week). 

If Spencer didn't defend himself some might take it as him not caring at all or just giving up, which would give them more reason to unanimously vote for him and send him on his way. I didn't see it as groveling and he was doing what the name of the show is called, trying to survive. He did it during his season when his tribe wanted to vote him out and he's back in the same boat.

His tribe probably see him more valuable when it comes to challenges more than Shirin. Spencer doesn't spazz and freak out. Yes you need muscles but you also need someone with a brain which Spencer has.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 11

Ugh, that sucked.  My favorite player is gone after the second episode--hate it when that happens.

Varner says Spencer and Shirin had their fate in their own hands and blew it. Talk about the recency fallacy! He was among those who were slow to get the puzzle pieces into position, thereby giving them much less time to solve it than the other tribe had.

Cameramen would tell them the idol is spoken for.

Interesting--I did not know that.

• Love 3

Why did anybody need to stand up for Abi?  What was said that was wrong? Why was Abi against Shirin instead of against Pei-Gi?  That makes no sense.

Why did anybody vote for Spencer?

What did Spencer mean that he was going to have to make it just three more days?

Somebody needed to stand up for Abi because Abi felt attacked and wanted someone to stand up for her.  That she created some of the situation herself is immaterial - Abi plays driven completely by her emotions which appear to be completely out of whack with reality.  If you want to align with her you have to be prepared for major spazz-wrangling.

Spencer got votes in case of a HII - otherwise Shirin and Spencer would be deciding who goes home.  And his "make it three more days" comment means he knew it was 50/50 whether he was going home this week.  He needed to scramble and hope he gets three more days (at least) to try to improve his position.

I didn't think I could be more irritated by Hero Joe than I was his last go-round, but I am. If production could give him a blow job on live TV, they would.

I thought Joe was painting a target on his back with his actions.  He's already viewed as an athletic young dude (which he is) and thus a potential challenge monster.  He has a pleasant, if bland, personality, so people generally don't seem to dislike him.  Making himself into the guy who's got everybody's back by making hammocks, catching all the fish, harvesting mangoes, etc. just means people are going to want to get rid of him as soon as he's no longer useful as a number.

I was thinking the same thing, why would Spencer not have anything to do with Woo.  It makes no sense, especially when they played the game together the last time around.  It shocked me when Woo said that he did not want to work with them because they did not bother with him.  If I was Spencer the very first thing I would have done was align with Woo. 

Spencer had some pretty harsh things to say about Woo during their season.  He may have felt it would be difficult to build a bridge to Woo.  There was no chance they would immediately align, but Spencer still should have tried to get to know him.

I'm still befuddled at how Shirin was voted back in for a second time, after bragging at her last TC about having made more than a million dollars already. I don't begrudge her success in her career, but you don't flaunt that if you are trying to win a million dollars on a game show.

It's not like Shirin bragged about dating and marrying a super model after returning from some exotic business trip.  Also, keep in mind her speech about having a lof of money came late in her season, many votes had already been cast.  But I don't see having been successful outside of Survivor having any bearing on whether you should play Survivor or be the winner on Survivor.

• Love 4

In fairness, I don't think Spencer's appeal had much impact - who was voting for whom has probably been discussed and his speech, while it made good tv for his fans, was never going to change the outcome.

More interesting questions to me:

1) why, as a self-proclaimed student of the game, did he not see the need to relate to people before he was at risk of leaving the game?

2) is his new found "social awareness" a tool to gain three more days of does he *really* undestand that he needs to connect to people? Honestly, I'm not sure he knows how to connect. We saw him before, frustrated that he couldn't get to people. Then when he's not frustrated, what does he do? Not connect to people, apparently. At this rate, I'm beginning to think Kass does have more game than him (social game, definitely, strategic to be confirmed). 

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but overall I think people who read others well and can relate to them have a better chance at this game than those who understand the game but disregard the people aspect. I'd be happy to discuss it further in a new or in one of the existing all seasons thread.  

• Love 5

"cooksdelight, on 01 Oct 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

I'm still befuddled at how Shirin was voted back in for a second time, after bragging at her last TC about having made more than a million dollars already. I don't begrudge her success in her career, but you don't flaunt that if you are trying to win a million dollars on a game show."

"It's not like Shirin bragged about dating and marrying a super model after returning from some exotic business trip.  Also, keep in mind her speech about having a lof of money came late in her season, many votes had already been cast.  But I don't see having been successful outside of Survivor having any bearing on whether you should play Survivor or be the winner on Survivor."

BWWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Slightly more seriously, gigles, no really...

I wish that they had left out anyone who had played in the last five seasons or three years, so six seasons? I would have rathered it been people who had not had a shot to play and probably would not have a shot to play without this format. Pretty much everyone from the BvW seasons, Cagayan, and Worlds Apart were guarenteed to return for another season. While this is technically a second chance, it is a different type of second chance then it is for Varner, Kimmi, Borneo Kelly, Savage, Deitz and all of those folks. There were plenty of seasons that did not have anyone on the ballot who could have been included and plenty of folks who were willing to play.

I think it would have loved an old school vs middle school tribe break down or just the dynamics that would have come out of it. I think it would have given the folks who had just played more of a chance to grow and reflect on who they are and their game which could lead to a change in game play for some folks. I also think that we would be less invested in some of the more hot button topics because they would be less fresh in our minds.

• Love 1

And my eyes practically rolled out of my head at that Savage story. I hate that kind of sappy crap LOL. He was getting so emotional, I thought, "Is his wife dead?? Is that where this story is going?"

Savage is ready for Chopped now, they can have a special "Survivor" chefs edition. I was very close to Googling to see if his wife had passed away in some type of horrible accident.

• Love 2
1) why, as a self-proclaimed student of the game, did he not see the need to relate to people before he was at risk of leaving the game?

2) is his new found "social awareness" a tool to gain three more days of does he *really* undestand that he needs to connect to people? Honestly, I'm not sure he knows how to connect. We saw him before, frustrated that he couldn't get to people. Then when he's not frustrated, what does he do? Not connect to people, apparently. At this rate, I'm beginning to think Kass does have more game than him (social game, definitely, strategic to be confirmed).

Here's the thing though, is Spencer really not connecting with people? Like I said, I think this was just the line and ploy Varner used to snow some others into helping him get rid of two people he saw as huge threats. Hell what Varner himself kept saying is that they were playing too hard and Spencer is too smart to keep around.

But other than maybe Woo who as someone said, maybe he didn't feel comfortable talking to based on their past history in Cagayan, we know he was close to Shirin, he and Kelley Wentworth seemed to get along well and she was happy to align with him but she wisely decided to protect herself when the numbers changed, he got along fine with nutty Abi and Abi seemed more pissed at Shirin about her alliance not coming to have her back, we saw him comforting Kelly Wigglesworth when she was upset about the challenge, he apologized about losing the second challenge even though I don't think that was solely him, Vytas said he was shocked about Spencer's vote because he and Spencer were fairly close he thought, he and Pei-Ghee seemed fine as well.

Compared that with the many comments made about Vytas being smarmy and creepy and some just not caring for him. I don't get the sense that people disliked Spencer or found him awful or any of that stuff. What it seemed to me is that the group of Terry, Kelly Wigglesworth and Woo realized they were not in the majority alliance when Vytas was voted out instead of the obvious and unpleasant Abi. Then Varner who is playing harder than anyone else but others don't seem to realize this, went to them saying, "hey, you need to start playing" and started whispering and convincing others of how dangerous and bad Spencer and Shirin are because they're "playing too hard" even if that is exactly what he is doing.

Then Abi and her drama was the perfect spark to get things moving because Dietz used it as a chance to get her on their side and suddenly it was Dietz, Wigglesworth, Woo, Varner and Abi. And Pei-Ghee pretty much said she was just going where the numbers was, just like Kelley Wentworth did. So I don't see this as some great failure on Spencer's part to connect with people on an emotional level. I think Spencer and Shirin just got outplayed by Varner who is playing even harder than they are but they didn't realize it until it was too late. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

I don't even know why I'm posting this since everyone feels so strongly about it, but I didn't notice anything intrinsically wrong with the wife story.  With 18 hours to fill every day, How I Met My Spouse stories are probably pretty standard. And "love at first sight/married in three months" would be a tale worth hauling out--even if she doesn't die in the end.

I do think the decision to broadcast that longish story--instead of the 75 other personal anecdotes caught on tape--is a good example of producers choosing a character role for each player and then showing us footage to support that characterization.

Oh man, lookit this guy.  Two weeks in and already in tears over his supermodel wife, who gave him a boner the instant they met.

Hmm.  I don't know him from before, so grain of salt for me.

Edited by candall
  • Love 11

In one camp, I saw a HUGE bunch of what looked like bananas. Did they just drop out of a tree or did production set them both up in areas full of fruit?

More goods from the boat, as I remember seeing that kind of thing on the first boat.

Also the netting Joe had to make hammocks out of was another boat grab I'd think as he was shown just after that using the fishing net that was white netting while the hammocks were a differing color...

• Love 2

I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this since everyone feels so strongly about it, but I didn't notice anything intrinsically wrong with the wife story.  With 18 hours to fill every day, How I Met My Spouse stories are probably pretty standard. And "love at first sight/married in three months" would be a tale worth hauling out--even if she doesn't die in the end.

I do think the decision to broadcast that longish story--instead of the 75 other personal anecdotes caught on tape--is a good example of producers choosing a character role for each player and then showing us footage to support that characterization.

Oh man, lookit this guy.  Two weeks in and already in tears over his supermodel wife, who gave him an instant boner when they met.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I am sure they were all sharing stories about how they met their spouses and the like. Clearly it touched a lot of folks on Bayon.I think the more interesting by product form the story is how Savage was able to turn Stephen's comment back on him and the hyberbole that he used when talking to Jeremy.

Jeremy walks away because he is feeling choked up and misses his wife. He hasn't told anyone that Val is pregnant. Stephen asks if Jeremy left because he was looking for an idol. Stephen's concern is brushed off as being insensitive. Savage finds Jeremy and checks in on him. Savage tells Jeremy that Stephen asked if Jeremy had left o look for the idol. They both share the idea that Stephen is thinking ame 24/7 and cannot break away from it while they can take time to miss their family and not htink the worst of others motives. Savage comments that Stephen has no honor or diginity because he was thinking of the game in that moment.

OK, so Savage's story felt very over wrought. The way he was telling it, the tears and the pause made me think something awful had happened to his wife but that was not the case. He just loves her very much. I am cool with that but the dramatic pause was kind of humerous. Savage's comments about Stephen's question about the idol was over the top. I can get the eye roll and the conversation that comes down to "he never stops thinking game." but the like of honor and diginity thing was a totally over the top.

I think the showed it because it was the thing that lead to Jeremy leaving the conversation and Stephen's question about the idol. It gives us insight how the alpha male alliance sees Stephen and what position Stephen holds in his alliance.

Keep in mind that when Kimmi asked if Stpehen was gone for so long because he was looking for the idol. It did not appear that anyone blew off Kimmi's comment and that they all agreed that he was. And he was. The two commetns together tell us how his tribe sees him. No one was offended at Kimmi's comment because they expected that Stephen would be off looking for the idol. He is New School and so playing hard right out of the gate. Savage and Kimmi are Old School and think that is silly. Then this week when Stephen mentions it everyone gives him the eye roll because they are thinking that not everyone is playing like he is, turned on to the game 24/7.

ie Stephen is playing hard, his tribe has noticed, and they don't appreciate it. He is the odd man out.

• Love 2

I think it matters who is in your alliance as to how much handholding would be necessary.  To not see that Abi would be one who needed constant attention was a terrible mistake by Shirin once she made an alliance with her.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6
I'm willing to be proven wrong, but overall I think people who read others well and can relate to them have a better chance at this game than those who understand the game but disregard the people aspect.

I was thinking this as well.  Last week I said I thought that IC-prowess is not really an asset in returnee seasons.  And that led me to think about how much it really all eventually comes down to "social game".

Which ties directly into last night.  Because I have a feeling that the majority alliance allowed Abi to decide between Spencer and Shirin for the elimination as the price of getting her on-board.  Frankly, I think allowing Abi to have control over anything is a dubious proposition.  But I understand the need in that situation.

Deciding to, and then being able to, manage the loose cannons on Survivor has always been extremely tricky.  You're making a deal with the (Tasmanian) Devil.  But as long as you have an exit strategy to hit the Eject button on the loon, it can work.

What never works is trying to ignore the loose cannon, or acting like they're completely irrelevant.  Crazy or not, they get a vote at TC.  And if you can't afford to have that vote be against you, then you'd better try something to ensure that it's with you.

**also, add me to the wtf over Savage's sob story.  I kept waiting to hear about how the model died in a car crash on the way home from the airport or something.  The struggle is real, Andrew.  The struggle is real.

• Love 10

Varner is playing the  same way he did in Australia: stir the poop, walk away, and be all "what? me? really? no!!" as well as re-assure people. And he's doing it very well in the (sorry everyone) New-School train of thought. Please make the Merge, Varner. As people stated - he's very puppet-masterty, but that doesn't bug me - mostly because A: i think it's very smart, B: no one is picking up on it. v. smart. 

I honestly though Mrs Savage was dead. But she's not. I am anti- Love One Visit, so I did roll the eyes. (ditto with Jeremy being sad) and screw y'all for Stephen asking  a logical question. "Is he looking for an Idol?" just like how everyone thought last week: "Is Stephen looking for an idol?" holy double standard.

Bye , Shirin. Meh, Abi. 

really enjoying this season

(Oh. who is Monica?  . And Feel Better, Ciera. she really looked loopy). 

oh and I had to do this: bwahahahhahaha Spencer for crying.. Like. I understood it and I think in that situation, I'd cry too, but.bwahahahahahaa. my first thought was "I wonder if he's hormonal?"

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 3

Did they edit out the touching part of Andrews story?  He met her, she finished her trip, she came back, they got married.  Am I heartless?  Am I lacking in morals, values and dignity?  I didn't get it. 

I felt the same way.  It is great you love your wife and miss her, but what was so special about that story?

Abi got people back on her side.  Wow, didn't see that coming.  Hope it works for Spencer next week with whoever are his new tribe members.

• Love 2

Varner is playing the  same way he did in Australia: stir the poop, walk away, and be all "what? me? really? no!!" as well as re-assure people. And he's doing it very well in the (sorry everyone) New-School train of thought. Please make the Merge, Varner. As people stated - he's very puppet-masterty, but that doesn't bug me - mostly because A: i think it's very smart, B: no one is picking up on it. v. smart. 

I hate how Vytas tries to manipulate folks but I don't have a problem with how Jeff does. Vytas is smarmy. He uses his personal story to elicit sympathy and he plays up how he is growing and changing and ignores apologizing for all the people he hurt. The way he interacts with people gives off a vibe of "I am better then you" and is just icky.

Jeff's manipulations don't feel like he feels superior or personal. He uses peoples strengths and weaknesses to his benefit but i don't see him talking that much crap.

They are both manipulative but one just doesn't feel icky in how he does that. This means that Jeff is far more scary because you don't really see it coming and you don't see what he is trying to do. Vytas you should be able to see coming from miles away.

• Love 5

Shirin and Spencer made a mistake, and it was not getting rid of Abi at the previous vote. They didn't need her, and the tribe's crazy is never actually in your alliance. Crazy is in crazy's alliance and does what crazy wants. Multiple smart alliances have been screwed by trying to drag along a crazy who turns on them.

That is a darn good point.    I also believe when a tribe has a player with super-bad negative energy,(Abi)  they lose challenges.

• Love 6

This episode was filled with way too much second-hand embarrassment for me. Everything involving Abi, Andrew's story, Woo's face while Shirin was talking to him, Spencer bawling and his speech. I had to watch most of the ep with my hands over my face.

Jeff is playing amazingly, but damn I hate him. And I think he's gonna flame out soon. He's playing way too hard.

Ciera looked terrible during the IC. I'm gonna guess she's about to be a med evac. Wonder what the deal is there?

I hate most of the people who are getting the lion's share of screen time right now. I really hope they're getting all this because they go early and the people I like that are invisible go deep.

• Love 3

I wish Shirin hadn't claimed she got herself voted out by ignoring Abi's pity party.  In this game, being in an alliance with someone doesn't mean publicly holding their hand all season.

Yeah, Shirin got voted out because Varner wanted her gone. The thing with Abi made his job easier, but contrary to what Abi thinks, they didn't do it for her. And that's exactly why you vote off the vain, insecure, angry people first. They're unpredictable and they'll blow up your game. I hope the people in Kass's alliance have figured this out.

Besides, I don't get why no one but Terry went out to comfort Abi, but somehow Shirin was the one who got all the blame for it. I did feel bad for Abi because I would feel bad for anyone who's sitting alone crying while others are a few feet away laughing at her, but Day 4 or 5 or whatever it was or not, I can also believe that isn't the first time Abi went into a sulk and needed to be comforted and reassured. Even if you like a person, having to constantly buck them up emotionally is exhausting. I can see everyone just figuring, ahhhh, I rubbed her back the last time, someone else can go take care of her this time. The best thing about the whole sequence of events was Jeff doing a TH about keeping Abi around because she's the perfect goat, followed by Abi's TH about how great it is that people want to keep her because they find her a joy. Ha. I bet there were some tears in the Gomes household last night.

Savage continues to be ridiculous. "Of course Jeremy was crying and needed some alone time. Anyone would cry after my touching story of my non-dead supermodel wife immediately recognizing my overwhelming sexual potency. I told it really well. Stephen is the worst person on earth to try to turn someone else's emotions into a game advantage for himself. Oh, there's Jeremy now. JEREMY! Stephen said you were looking for the idol and doesn't believe you really love your wife!" Please let Savage be voted out in a humiliating fashion, right after the merge, immediately before making the jury.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 24

I think Abi blames SHirin because they had a pre game alliance and Shirin told Abi she would have her back. Abi references this in her conversation with Shirin when she tells Shirin that she was no longer allied with her. Abi didn't have a pre game alliance with the others. She expected that Shirin would stand up for her and saw Shirn's silence and laughter as a betrayal. Jeff simply took that and ran with it.

• Love 7

I think Abi blames SHirin because they had a pre game alliance and Shirin told Abi she would have her back. Abi references this in her conversation with Shirin when she tells Shirin that she was no longer allied with her. Abi didn't have a pre game alliance with the others. She expected that Shirin would stand up for her and saw Shirn's silence and laughter as a betrayal. Jeff simply took that and ran with it.

Bingo!! :)

I think Abi blames Shirin because Abi is a paranoid crazy person in the game who doesn't think or act rationally. And I hope she screws over a few more people, notably Terry and Jeff, before she gets booted. Abi's only fun for me if she's fucking over people I don't like.

• Love 18

I hate how Vytas tries to manipulate folks but I don't have a problem with how Jeff does. Vytas is smarmy. He uses his personal story to elicit sympathy and he plays up how he is growing and changing and ignores apologizing for all the people he hurt. The way he interacts with people gives off a vibe of "I am better then you" and is just icky.

Jeff's manipulations don't feel like he feels superior or personal. He uses peoples strengths and weaknesses to his benefit but i don't see him talking that much crap.

They are both manipulative but one just doesn't feel icky in how he does that. This means that Jeff is far more scary because you don't really see it coming and you don't see what he is trying to do. Vytas you should be able to see coming from miles away.

i agree with you. Again for me, it will be interesting to see how Jeff pulls back. He kind of did this in Australia, like he stirred poop up, but he "allowed" for a lack of a better word, Mike to do his thing, and he was taking the hits. Like right now, who are the ones getting hits?

Shirin (gone), Spencer, etc. no one sees Jeff. Jeff is all "i don't know anything!" to 1/2 his group (the newer players) and telling Terry to get his head out of his bum because he "needs" him. my feeling is, he'll use Terry as his Mike. 

just don't step down for Peanut Butter, Jeff. 

Yeah, Shirin got voted out because Varner wanted her gone. The thing with Abi made his job easier, but contrary to what Abi thinks, they didn't do it for her. And that's exactly why you vote off the vain, insecure, angry people first. They're unpredictable and they'll blow up your game. I hope the people in Kass's alliance have figured this out.

Besides, I don't get why no one but Terry went out to comfort Abi, but somehow Shirin was the one who got all the blame for it. 

according to others, other people DID go to Abi. Abi's issue was Shirin, (the girl in her alliance, and felt like a pariah) didn't come talk to her. Just walked away and in her mind laughed at her.  

• Love 1

You'll probably all hate me, but I'm quite entertained by Savage and want his to stay a while. After all 1) his last name is perfect for a reality show and as far as I know not fake, 2) his personal life, as perfect as he tells us it is, has his tribemates in tears, 3) hopefully he can last until the family visit because I'd sure love to see his wife (hope it's not his dad, mom, brother, sister, best friend etc. who shows up)  

Cameramen would tell them the idol is spoken for.

Has this ever happened? If this is the case I don't like it. You take the chance of hiding your idol where someone else could find it and I feel it is yours to lose.

• Love 4

The weirdest part of Andrew's story to me was that every single person appeared to buy into it. Like not one of them was like "Who gives a fuck?" about it. Maybe there were some and the editing just decided to keep that from us because they're going for an "Andrew's so great!" edit or something.

Savage said his wife is a supermodel?  Anyone know who she is?

According to Google his wife is Stephanie Savage, who produced The O.C. and Gossip Girl. I didn't know she was a model.

• Love 3

Yay, loving this season so far!  In theory I'm not thrilled by the endless recycling of contestants TPTB loves to do on this show, but somehow this mix is working for me.  I agree, no clear favorites yet, I like and loathe lots of people, there are still several characters we haven't fully explored yet this season (much more to come from Kass, for example, I'm sure!) and have no idea what direction this is going in, which intrigues me!

I am usually not good at reading the clues and seeing what will happen based on the editing like you all are, but I could tell it would be Spencer's team (don't know the names yet) going to TC when they showed that whole tale of the PG-Abi-Shirin argument, and everything getting turned completely upside down on that tribe, while the other tribe only had that bizarre emotional scene.  Then, during Shirin's TH's, her hair looked very flowing and she looked very fresh and clean although she was wearing the same dress- I could tell she'd gotten a chance to have a shower.

Am I the only one who giggled when Jeremy said in an anguished tone after Savage's sad/not-sad tale, "I just want to see her stomach!" re: Val being pregnant.  I know he means her growing baby bump, but it tickled me nonetheless!  Like, her actual stomach.

I'm a bit annoyed that some random brief comment about Holy Joe was chosen for the episode title, when that had nothing to do with the main theme of the show!

So, probably party of one here.... I do not, at all, get the Joe love.  I don't find him attractive in the slightest.  The hair kills me.  His personality does nothing for me.  I just don't get it.  I don't think he's an ugly guy, but nowhere near cute/hot/whatever. Nothing appealing to me. 

THANK YOU!  I guess there are just two of us then.  To me, Joe looks like a 40 yr old woman with muscles.   I refer to him as the 40 yr old woman with Pecs.  (Speaking myself as a 40 year old woman!).  Curly, middle-aged lady hairdo (esp when it's in a bun), "pretty" face.  I cannot see him as a man.  And yeah, none of that matters a whole lot if the guy has a great personality- but I haven't seen anything remarkable on that front, either.  

I agree.  I thought that Shirin and Spenser's only hope of having both of them stick around for 3 more days would be to go to the others and tell them that Abi spilled the beans and point out that Abi will turn on them at the slightest of perceived slights and they should get rid of her now and can get rid of the two of them later.  

Abi is delusional. I think she actually believes that she is a warm, friendly person and doesn't get that popping into the middle of other people's conversations with "Hey guys, what are you talking about?" is not a good thing to do.   Or that telling everyone that PG stole your bracelet is also talking behind someone back or that trying to make everyone search for your bracelet makes think of you as high maintenance.   

My favorite line from this episode was when Abi was talking about how she's so elated that she's actually found others on her tribe who not only LIKE her but find her a JOY to be around!  

I thought for sure Shirin/Spencer would tell the others that Abi spilled the beans on their plan to get them to vote her out in one final twist at the end- and I knew for sure Abi wouldn't be able to keep a secret.  I really hate the goat strategy of keeping the worst person around just so you can beat then in the end.  That does not make appealing television and just isn't interesting gameplay although it may be "smart" in that it's as close as you can get to a guaranteed win if you make it to the end.  I very much hope that is not in the cards for this season or it will be a veeeeeeery long one.  It's so much more fun to watch all the shifting alliances and people going from top to bottom in a day than to know X is going to the end because they're a terrible unlikeable player.  

• Love 4

Has this ever happened? If this is the case I don't like it. You take the chance of hiding your idol where someone else could find it and I feel it is yours to lose.

I think it has but of course we never knew it at the time and only learned about it much later when the people concerned were out of the game.

I used to think it was not wise to keep your idol away from you, but if production grants you access to it and prevents anyone from stealing it, it's actually better than keeping it in your belongings where anyone can discover it. (Idol in the wild: who could this belong to? Idol in anyone's bag: that must be Abi's, watch out for the drama when she finds out she put it in the wrong bag)    

• Love 1

Savage is ready for Chopped now, they can have a special "Survivor" chefs edition. I was very close to Googling to see if his wife had passed away in some type of horrible accident.

Ha ha ha!  He would definitely win Chopped, with his heartbreaking story of marrying a supermodel and having her be "his whole world"!  

• Love 2

It's the second episode.  Could we can it with the crying?   I still get annoyed when people act like someone's been raised from the dead during the family visit but you've been away from home a couple of weeks.  Did none of these people go to college?  A business trip?  A sleepover in middle school?

Thank you for this     "when people act like someone's been raised from the dead during the family visit"  --still giggling on that.

That said, we may have the dubious pleasure of seeing Savage's blubbering reuniion with his supermodel wife.   For some reason I think her prance out of the woods will be in slo-mo  to a heartbeat rhythm.

As gag-worthy as that may be to some, I like that visual far better than Lil in her granny panties and boy-scout shirt tormenting Varner .  

• Love 1

I totally agree!   (when it is re-buried or hidden in the woods...not in one's bag)

Edited by seasick

Contestants have never been able to take idols once they've been found by someone else.  The owner can give them away, but that's the only way they can transfer to someone else.  It's just one of those things.  I guess they should explain it in the show somehow, because this confusion comes up pretty much every season.

• Love 4

I think Abi blames Shirin because Abi is a paranoid crazy person in the game who doesn't think or act rationally. And I hope she screws over a few more people, notably Terry and Jeff, before she gets booted. Abi's only fun for me if she's fucking over people I don't like.

The problem is she's likely to fuck over people you do like.

She reminds me of professional poker players talking about how hard it is to play with a novice at the table.  They are so unpredictable that the pros can't figure out a strategy to deal with them.

I hate the people who play the "take care of me" card all the time - maybe she'll get put on a tribe with Ciera, catch whatever she's got, and get med-evaced out.  Ciera looked like death warmed over.

• Love 5
According to Google his wife is Stephanie Savage, who produced The O.C. and Gossip Girl. I didn't know she was a model.

Interesting. I would not have put that together. She's also produced the shows Chuck and Hart of Dixie because she's producing partners with Josh Schwartz who created all these shows. I wonder how the players would feel knowing this because talk about someone who definitely does not need the money. 

THANK YOU!  I guess there are just two of us then.  To me, Joe looks like a 40 yr old woman with muscles.   I refer to him as the 40 yr old woman with Pecs.  (Speaking myself as a 40 year old woman!).  Curly, middle-aged lady hairdo (esp when it's in a bun), "pretty" face.  I cannot see him as a man.  And yeah, none of that matters a whole lot if the guy has a great personality- but I haven't seen anything remarkable on that front, either.  

YES! You took the words right out of my mouth.  He looks like a woman!!! Thank YOU :)  He actually skeeves me out. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

According to Google his wife is Stephanie Savage, who produced The O.C. and Gossip Girl. I didn't know she was a model.

Are we sure that's the same Stephanie Savage?  Andrew's wife was born in Mauritius, and I can't find anything saying that the producer was born there, nor do I find anything saying the producer is married to Andrew Savage.

• Love 3

Until they show footage of Shirin constantly starting shit with just about anybody that she makes eye contact with, I find it ridiculous to compare her and Abi's situations.

Yes, Andrew, Stephen must have a lower standard of morality than you because he considered the possibility that Jeremy-I'mdoingthisformywife!PROMISE!- might be looking for an idol. Douche.

Those hammocks were cool.

I'm not particularly fond of talking and laughing about someone behind their back. But (to me) there's a huge difference between snickering at what Abi has said and done, and standing over someone as you call them a soulless, friendless person who will never be loved. Night and day, IMO.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 19

I find it funny when people say that they need to get rid of someone because they are "playing the game" or are "playing to win."  I mean, I understand that they are saying that they worry that person will find a way to outsmart them, so the game player needs to go.  But them voting out the game player is their own way of playing the game.  And, really, how many people come on Survivor, especially for a second time, and don't want to win. 

That's right up there with, "He's only it for himself." Um, yeah! Mostly everyone is and the ones who aren't are worst players the game has seen.

• Love 6

Ha ha ha!  He would definitely win Chopped, with his heartbreaking story of marrying a supermodel and having her be "his whole world"!

I am so glad someone else sees and appreciates the Chopped parallel to this show. It does exist in it's own universe. :D

• Love 1
That is a darn good point.    I also believe when a tribe has a player with super-bad negative energy,(Abi)  they lose challenges.

I really think you're right. It effects the entire mojo of the tribe. As I mentioned earlier, Ta Keo has some strong competitors, but they seemed very frantic and disjointed at times during the IC. I won't put that ALL on Abi, but the cohesiveness of the tribe is important. 

Woo's face while Shirin was talking to him

Woo's face! He looked like someone was trying to explain quantum physics to him. That's why I was a bit shocked when he very concisely explained why he would NOT be working with those two. 

• Love 7

No, I really don't think it's the same Stephanie Savage from Gossip Girl.  THAT Stephanie is Canadian.  Andrew's wife is from the island of Mauritius.  

By the way.  Andrew is disappointing me more than anyone.  I watched Pearl Islands and Andrew was one of my favourite players.  Isn't that terrible?  It's hard to remember why I liked him but what's burned into my memory is this shot of Andrew and Tijuana on the beach -- in tattered work clothes -- Andrew with a toothpick in his teeth for some reason -- that I thought was so dramatic and beautiful.  That tribe was really struggling, right?  And Osten was crying and quitting every single day.  And Andrew and Tijuana were like the parents trying to hold everyone together.  Also, I thought Andrew was handed such a bad deal by the game and had become incredibly depressed towards the end of it.  He was like a Shakespearean figure to me in that season.  Osten was hilarious, Ryan was hot, but Andrew was one of my favourites.  Now he just seems so weird and I think he's been affected by Pearl Islands ever since in a bad way.  

Anyway, I like BOTH Spencer and Woo.  I'm really glad Spencer stayed because while I don't think I would get along with him in real life he's one of my favourite players.  Truly fascinating for so many reasons and a completely different personality type than usually does well on this show - hence why Probst thought he was a total loser who shouldn't even make the cast.  I thought him crying on the beach was hysterical?  I thought it was a bad acting job?  I read it as completely not genuine and I have no issue with it.  Good on him for even playing the audience! 

In Andrew's world it means he himself is a wonderful, sensitive person, while Stephen is terrible for not breaking out in sobs over this heart breaking story and Jeremy is a good guy because he cried.  Jeremy would have cried if someone walked up and sad, "Wife."

That does make me think Jeremy's a good guy though. : )  I love how much he loves his wife.  And the role reversal of his marriage (his wife seemed very emotionally strong and stoic.)  I love Jeremy.  I love that so far he's not in danger like last time.  

truthaboutluv, I absolutely love your Survivor posts.

I can't hate Joe for how the camera/editing/other players treat him.  There doesn't seem to be a negative bone in that guy's body.  Literally and figuratively.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Abi is either too stupid to realize Peih-Gee is a nothing or she's desperate for some camera time. She is also a pint-sized bully but isn't it always the bulldozers who are the quickest to have hurt feelings? Shirin is such a brilliant strategist she strategized herself right out of the game. Goes to show how much you need multiple facets to your game; social game is just as important as intellect.

• Love 6

Savage must be a helluva lawyer because he basically had them all in tears over a story that was basically, "I had some playboy magazines out then I met a woman, we hit if off, and got married."  I mean he had Kass crying, people!  Fucking Kass!  Come ON.

I know it's only two episodes in, but wouldn't it be great if this turns out to be "Survivor: Greek Tragedy Edition."  Like the contestants try valiantly to change how they play, to learn and grow, but their tragic flaws are greater than their will!?

• Love 19

Savage wants to vote Stephen out because he wants to play with people who have morals and he has decided Fishburn is too busy looking for an idol which is apparently not moral.  Hand me my rifle.  

Abi has assured herself more time, now that she has been promoted to goat.  Smooth move, Varner and Dietz was smart enough to listen to you. 

YAY!  3 tribes.  I am glad to see this dynamic shattered.  I was not enjoying Varner's plan of getting rid of the threads WAY before the merge.  Nuts.  Selfishly it would leave me no one to root for.  

I like Spencer.  

• Love 6

In fairness, I don't think Spencer's appeal had much impact - who was voting for whom has probably been discussed and his speech, while it made good tv for his fans, was never going to change the outcome.

More interesting questions to me:

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but overall I think people who read others well and can relate to them have a better chance at this game than those who understand the game but disregard the people aspect. I'd be happy to discuss it further in a new or in one of the existing all seasons thread.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think your conclusion is faulty. If you're socially awkward - as many agree Shirin/Kass/Spencer are, it's not that simple. You imply that the secret to winning is through the social aspect, and that Spencer willfully defies it. I was forced to go to human dynamics workshops, and people are really pretty much born with their personalities. You can watch groups of children working together on a project, and just like adults, you see a group that's very vocal and interactive but prioritize socializing, the social group who enjoy the interaction but prioritize getting the job done, and the group that is highly goal-oriented and work together in virtual silence.

There's a huge lack of understanding, and some viewers end up getting angry because they don't understand. I just spent the summer reading about how Steve - a socially awkward guy on Big Brother - was odd, a weirdo, a freak. And he should never have been cast on the show because he makes people "uncomfortable". This is the type of thing that commonly occurs to social misfits. So you have people who are already poor at interpreting nonverbal cues, then you add repetitive experiences of being rejected for your very base personality, and it results in people who never quite learn what most of us were born knowing.

• Love 16

I'd like to see Kass and Spencer work together, since they're both all about love, peace and understanding now.  They should hit it off beautifully this time around.

The thing with Abi is that she comes up on her tribemates and gives them this very unnerving death-stare...I mean, I was uncomfortable watching it from my living room couch, and I'm pretty sure Abi couldn't see me, but it still gave me chills.

• Love 5