Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E02: Survivor MacGyver

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Whether or not he actually wins the game-- though, at the moment, he seems well-positioned for the end game,

even with next week's tribe swap

-- Varner is clearly the breakout star / "character" for this season. Which is a-okay by me, since he was one of the eligible castaways I most wanted to see return. He's playing an aggressive game out of the gate, but he's been very astute with his perceptions of the social dynamics at play in the game. By all rights, he should have been an obvious target for the "Varner Bomb" at the previous tribal council, but it doesn't seem like his name ever came up as a possible boot. If he makes the merge, he isn't going to be seen as a threat for individual immunity, so he has a good look at making a deep run.

I found Abi abrasive in her first season, but the show has been so overrun with toxic people in the past few years that she wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of villains. Varner is a shit-stirrer, so of course he's just flat-out gleeful about all of her drama, but she's already making for a tiresome character arc here. That said... she kind of had a point. Everyone knows she's an emotion-driven player, so it was a huge mistake for Shirin and Spencer, as "superfans" who came to play, to misread how she was being isolated.

I mean, if Terry picks up on a social cue before you do, you are in serious trouble.

I thought Andrew Savage deserved a second chance based upon the Outcasts twist in Pearl Islands, but that doesn't mean I've ever found him at all likeable. That he was able to turn a monologue about, "... And then I happened upon this supermodel in my apartment," into some kind of a sob story that his tribe seemed to buy without reservation was quite an impressive stunt. His characterization of Stephen as not having the same "morals" as the rest of Bayon was particularly gross. If there's going to be a recurring theme of past mistakes repeating themselves, I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see him go before the jury.

There haven't been many times that I've seen Probst happier than pointing out the ironies in Shirin's, Abi's, and Spencer's returns to Survivor during that TC. I thought he was going to start skipping over to the urn to go tally the votes.

• Love 12
I thought Andrew Savage deserved a second chance based upon the Outcasts twist in Pearl Islands, but that doesn't mean I've ever found him at all likeable. That he was able to turn a monologue about, "... And then I happened upon this supermodel in my apartment," into some kind of a sob story that his tribe seemed to buy without reservation was quite an impressive stunt. His characterization of Stephen as not having the same "morals" as the rest of Bayon was particularly gross. If there's going to be a recurring theme of past mistakes repeating themselves, I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see him go before the jury.s.

Savage made my skin crawl tonight. Maybe it was just wishful thinking or the editing, but it looked like Ciera wasn't buying into his story, so I am hoping that she and Stephen can work together eventually.

• Love 5

That he was able to turn a monologue about, "... And then I happened upon this supermodel in my apartment," into some kind of a sob story that his tribe seemed to buy without reservation was quite an impressive stunt.

No kidding, I thought it came across as rubbing their nose in his perfect life, but whatever works I guess. I think this is what Dan was hoping for last season with his moping around about his wife, sorry Dan, I think you have to look like Savage and be married to a model for that to work, otherwise, you just remind everybody of themselves, and who wants to think about that?

• Love 7
Spencer survives what is essentially a coin flip tribal...again. Spencer grovels at the feet of the tribe...again.

And Spencer

lucks into a tribe swap directly following that...again. Now watch, he will end up in a good position as a result...again.

Spencer for luckiest Survivor.

Yup, that's why I said I have a feeling that decision may come back and bite them in the ass. Or of course watch me be wrong and he gets eliminated soon.

I have a feeling this tribe swap is going to screw the Bayon crew.

Ta'Keo is a delicious mess, and they deserve to go down in flames.

Bayon hasn't had to go to tribal council. It's easy for a tribe to be all seemingly sunshine and roses when they don't have to worry about voting someone out. 

I feel like the general public's feeling about Joe (overrated, can do no wrong) is my feeling about Spencer. I just don't see it. I can't stand him because I feel like he thinks there's only one way to play Survivor: scheme, scheme, scheme. Idol! Alliance! Backstab! Blindside!

I disagree with this, especially about the scheme, scheme part and backstab, backstab. As I remember it, Spencer was very loyal to his alliance in his original season. And as for the scheming, scheming, he actually mostly stayed back in the early days of his tribe and just went along with Garrett because Garrett seemed to secure Tasha and crazy J'Tia and so he figured it was best to go with the numbers. Garrett was the dumbass who annoyed Tasha and then that alliance got blown up.

After that he was pretty much in trouble and Kass and Tasha wanted him out because they figured he would be a threat down the road but eventually decided he was good to keep around if they still had another challenge. Then the switch happened and he got in his larger alliance which went down in the numbers after the merge because Kass flipped. And yes he fought to stay in the game but as I remember it he never voted against his alliance even when they were voted out. He didn't vote for Tasha or Morgan or Jeremy. So I don't remember the backstabbing. 

And I think Spencer did think he was going along with the majority. Varner came to him about aligning, he seemed to get along just fine with Dietz, he just wasn't aligned with him, he was shown comforting Wigglesworth last week after she was beating herself up about the challenge, he and Kelly Wentworth were aligned, she just flipped when she realized the numbers changed, same with Peih-Gee and Abi was the wildcard. Yes, I admit that he should have been more aware to pick up when the vibe and tone of the tribe changed but I honestly think Spencer is just an example of when you play this game again and people know you. Varner said, if he wasn't full of shit, his kids told him to align with Spencer because he is very smart and that seemed to be his main thing, that Spencer is too smart to keep around which fine, I can respect that.

But that's why I actually think all the "not connecting with people and treating them like people" was just bullshit. I think that's the line Varner is using to snow all the other people on the tribe to get them on his side when ironically what he's accusing Spencer of is exactly what he's doing. Varner is so far playing harder than Spencer. He's already flipped twice and the only reason he wanted to get rid of Spencer and Shirin is for game purposes. That is, get the strong threats out and keep the nut Abi who will make the perfect goat. And all the other people on the tribe who are at the moment playing the "anyone but me" strategy went for it. And again, I'm not knocking that gameplay or strategy but like call a spade a spade.

Edited by GenL
Preview talk goes in the Previews & Speculations thread
  • Love 23

LOL@Shirin...she didn't get a chance to play her weepy victim card this season!

With that said I would have prefered Spencer to get the boot because something about that kid rubs me the wrong way. But there was no way they were going to toss another male when they might need his stength in a challenge.

Oh my heck! Abi truly is a villian you LOVE to HATE! The sheer glee on her face when she was informing Sharin she was in danger directly due to her lack of support was a thing to behold. I hope she stays around to stir things up awhile longer.

I don't see why Kelly Wentworth was even considered for a Second Chance. She was vanilla in her season and she's vanilla in this season even without her Dad...and frankly for an allegedly hot blond I don't find her to be all that at all. Hell Kimmy Kappenberg with her normal body and looks is way more attractive. I hope her idol doesn't mean she sticks around a long time.

The look on Woo's face when Sharin and Spencer were trying to recruit him made me worried he was falling for it but luckily he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for and wasn't going to hitch himself to a pair of shooting stars.

Didn't like Savage his first go around but I am liking him now. Especially since he and Jeremy have supposed "Know it All" Fishback's number.

• Love 3

Savage sounds like Don Draper. Who knew? I heard that Ciera & Monica are on this season. Is that true? I guess since they are winning you might not hear from them much but the men such Joe, Stephen & Savage are getting loads of air time. They also could be giving boring confessionals time will tell if the ladies turn it but for now they are sure getting the invisible edit. Is Jeff Probst doing the editing, too? LOL!!!

• Love 7

Savage sounds like Don Draper. Who knew? I heard that Ciera & Monica are on this season. Is that true? I guess since they are winning you might not hear from them much but the men such Joe, Stephen & Savage are getting loads of air time. They also could be giving boring confessionals time will tell if the ladies turn it but for now they are sure getting the invisible edit. Is Jeff Probst doing the editing, too? LOL!!!

Back in the day getting confessionals early on usually meant an early exit (and no screen time meant we'd be seeing you down the road).  Could be that Monica and Ciera are in it for the long haul and have some impact on the game where we get to them later.  But like the blonde last season that made the final 5 (who I can't remember), it could mean they are just very boring and do nothing.  I feel like Monica talking about her strategy meant she was probably going to come up way short, and either be an early boot or just a vote in someone's alliance.

• Love 1

Words never expected to be said in a Survivor forum:

Terry's (positive) social game creates a major shift in alliances.

Regarding Ciera, she looked terrible most of the episode.  I believe when they decided to sit somebody out, she said she had to, she was sick.  Even being handed the idol after the challenge, she seemed out of it.

• Love 7

I would so love it if they had Lil come back in some kind of super outcast twist or something,  he wakes up, and she's just staring at him, "Andrew, you said you would get back to me, I'm still waiting." The look on his face would be priceless.

Damn, I forgot about that, thank you for reminding me. LOL, the ultimate icing on the cake of this season would be when they get it down to 8 or 10 people left, bring in their worst nightmares to play against them one more time.

• Love 5

bring in their worst nightmares to play against them one more time.

They could call it "Ghost's of Survivor Past." Lil for Andrew, Varner has to swim around in a giant jar of peanut butter to find an idol, Kimmy has to eat chicken wings while Alicia wags her finger in her face. That's all I got right now.

• Love 7

Not a bad episode.

I like hearing Spencer talk, so I'm glad he is still around.

I agree with the poster up-thread who said that all the fawning over Joe makes them not want to like him.

I don't have anything against the guy, he is athletic, handsome, and seems very polite.

There is no reason for me not to like him, except for the army of mouth breathers fan wanking all over him.

• Love 7

And my Abi hate grows. She goes off on PG during the chimney conversation for what reason? She instigates crap and is upset that the people she is pissing off didn't defend her? Just ughhhhhhh

No she was upset that the people in her alliance didn't defend her.  She wasn't all that upset that Peih-Gee didn't say anything.

EDIT: According to Kelley on twitter Terry wasn't the only one who talked to Abi that night. So not surprisingly there were some edit manipulation going on to make it look like only Terry cared enough to talk to her.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2

Jesus, Savage, just Shut The Fuck Up!!!

I lost all like for Varner tonight.  He just came across as mean. "I think we're all exhausted."  wtf?  This is just the second TC!

Why did anybody need to stand up for Abi?  What was said that was wrong? Why was Abi against Shirin instead of against Pei-Gi?  That makes no sense.

Why did anybody vote for Spencer?

What did Spencer mean that he was going to have to make it just three more days?

I really didn't like this episode.  Nothing made sense.

• Love 9

I'm guessing they split the vote for any potential HII. If the majority was in agreement for Shirin that's the only reason I could think why Spencer got so many votes.

Savage sure likes to play the moral compass card, doesnt he? Jeez! He's kind of annoying and were only 2 episodes in. Yikes!

• Love 4

I think once Abi's feet hit the sand she sinks waist deep into paranoia and it really brings out the ugly in her.  It makes her do some really dumb things and she apparently just can't keep her mouth shut which alienates everyone.  I was hoping she would come on this season and play smart and maybe show us the nice person that others say she is.  But she just can't seem to help it.  Having said that it made me uncomfortable seeing the others back in the shelter laughing and making fun of her.  I hope Abi remembers how this made her feel because she can be pretty cruel herself.

• Love 8
What did Spencer mean that he was going to have to make it just three more days?

Because the game can always change - tribal switch-ups happen, you find an immunity idol, the tribe can start winning challenges and avoid tribal council right up until the merge, etc. So he was essentially saying he just had to make it through that tribal council and then figure it out from there. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
Everyone knows she's an emotion-driven player, so it was a huge mistake for Shirin and Spencer, as "superfans" who came to play, to misread how she was being isolated.

There's emotion-driven, and then there's irrational/emotion-driven.  Anyone who could come up and basically hop in with a nonsequitur like whatever she asked Peih Gee when Spencer had just asked her about the rock chimney is utterly unpredictable, emotions aside.  Smirking away when Peih Gee points out that Abi had talked about her behind her back.  Ugggghhh she pushes all of my buttons and I think she's horrible and I was so afraid this would happen when Vytas (smarmy, maybe snake-y, but predictable) was voted off.    And I don't care in the least what she's like in "real life."  Anyone who acted so irrationally would frankly frighten me.

Shirin said somewhere in there that she'd been walking and talking with Abi for ages and keeping her calm and stuff.  I think Abi-wrangling would be one of my biggest nightmares and I can totally see how Shirin would let her guard slip and laugh when Peih Gee said she enjoyed telling Abi off.  

Abi was so pleased to be the instrument that sent Shirin home.  "You didn't come comfort me; now you're on the block."  I hope that little minx stays around the whole season and blows up one person's game after another's with her confrontations and drama--they asked for it.

Candall, I cosign your entire post except for this one.  Her behavior makes my skin crawl so much that I find it very uncomfortable to watch any of her interactions.  I hope she goes very soon.

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 16

Andrew, your disdain for Stephen is noted. It feels like a code to me, but I won't make any assumptions. Ass. I do feel vindicated for never warming to him.

Is his wife dead? Because I didn't get why his story was so emotional.

I hated Andrew in his first season and this season found myself wondering about his shaved chest, false teeth and burnt umber hair plugs… a guy who only hugs the big strong men.  Then he goes and cries about his wife and I'm as confused as ever.

I love Varner, even more this season, even without the cool outfits he was allowed to wear last time. I'll take his NC accent, snark and funny comments, any time.

• Love 3

I actually thought Savage was talking about his wife in the past tense. Then he started to cry and I thought she was dead but I'm pretty sure she she's alive......I think. Color me confused. I guess he missed her? Missed the dirty magazines? Missed his compfy life at home? The way all the woman in the tribe reacted I thought maybe the editors had left out the part that his wife had indeed died. Very odd!

• Love 6

And then again this is why I love this game, still, because it can whip around in a second and everything changes... it was kinda amazing to watch this one come around like it did. Talk about penthouse to outhouse!  Pretty impressive.

ETA speaking of the abusive rant Shirin was recipient of didn't he even at one point tell he that he didn't even think she had a soul? I just remember I was in shock that they even showed it.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 7

IMO the problem with what happened between Shirin, Peih Gee and Abi was not that they were overheard talking about her or that Peih Gee told her off or that Shirin walked away; it was afterwards when Peih Gee went back to the shelter and they were all just laughing about what happened in normal voices, as if Abi had gone off to her own home and wouldn't hear them now.  They had to know that she was right out there overhearing everything they said, but were a little too confident about their own place in the game in that they thought they could "mean girl" her and teach her a lesson.  The wise woman would have STFU about it; the wiser woman would have gone out and said, "Hey, come on in, we're all tired, let's get some sleep and forget it."  And then it's up to Abi to let it go or once again she becomes the ass.  (Which she is - Varner is annoying me by picking her as goat this early in the season - do NOT want to watch and listen to her until December!  When someone loves referring to herself as a "firecracker" etc. you just know that person is one who revels in being a jerk.)

And I, too, am lacking in morals, values and dignity (ha!) because I was also rolling my eyes at Andrew's ridiculous bit of manipulation.

• Love 7

Peih-Gee talks shit, gets caught, and Shirin gets the blame for it--and Peih-Gee's vote. Wow. I'm not really invested in Shirin, but Peih-Gee is an asshole for that move. Never really liked her to begin with, but that's really, really shitty. 

I didn't think I could be more irritated by Hero Joe than I was his last go-round, but I am. If production could give him a blow job on live TV, they would.

Savage's comments about Stephen reminded me of how he treated Skinny Ryan. All the loathing came flooding back.

Anyone who allies with Abi is a fool, including Shirin for originally allying with her. That headcase is going to turn on you for any slight, perceived or real, and her emotions are so volatile that you won't even see it coming.

• Love 10

WTF.  I'm still in awe over Savage managing to have people sobbing over marrying a supermodel.    Who are these people?  Did they put them through some kind of sensitivity therapy or hypnosis before they came?  Not ONE side-eye??  It's actually making me miss Boston Rob and his jealous, cynical ways.

I wonder if it may have helped Shirin and Spencer to blow up Abi's big mouth to the rest of the tribe.  Maybe even suggest that she told them what was up in an effort to work with them..  Her self-serving big mouth is the biggest liability to any alliance and they all know that.   They might have decided that her blind 'all about me at all cost' attitude was a bigger threat overall. .  .   

• Love 13

I was totally expecting Savage to mention that it was the five year anniversary of his wife's diagnosis of cancer or something, the way he was carrying on. It was like half a Greek tragedy, no one likes half a Greek tragedy. Except Jeremy, because of course. If only Val could give him the pregnancy so she could go play Survivor, she wouldn't be out in the damn woods crying like a baby over the most basic of love stories.

Abi is such an infantile instigating crybaby. She's like a kid when they first figure out how to be devious, except you can't train it out of her. Eventually she's going to do something to irritate everyone, and that's when the minor alliance needs to strike. Otherwise anyone with half a brain will just keep her pinballing as an extra vote as long as they're willing to put up with her hysterics for 3 days at a time. 

I never liked Spencer, like him less now. Every time he feels even slightly comfortable, he launches into these hyperbolic THs about how dumb/onerous/annoying someone is and how they're screwing up his gameplay. That's what Survivor is. It always sounds like he thinks he'd cruise to the win, if only all these people would just get out of his way. Varner one-upping on him is giving me the vapors.

I hope Varner doesn't get too cute and end up shooting himself in the foot. So far he's been super perceptive about everyone's strengths and weaknesses. And he can probably limp along with the 'oh shucks me?' befuddled granddaddy oldschool for at least one more tribal until new school realizes he's orchestrating their pangonging.

I'm getting kind of tired of all the dudes who think they're alpha players trying to tag in on everything to save the day. I hope some season all puzzles get assembled in a sound-proof box so the puzzle solvers can just focus without the scent of Frustrated Men Who Think They Can Do Everything But Want to Act Like Team Players (I'm sure there's a German word for that!).

Edited by rozen
  • Love 16
I hope the subtle shift Probst referred to isn't people manipulating others with tears.  I got my fill of that on BB.

I don't see how it could be - didn't we get more than our share of that crap with two BvW seasons?  (gag :)

• Love 1

Shirin should thank her lucky stars that she had Dan and Will around last season. Not that I'm saying she deserved the smack down Will gave her, but thanks to that as well as the chauvinism and sexism with the men, she really got a golden edit. I really think it would have turned out much differently for her if she had been the annoying tag-along super fan. So she blew another puzzle, too. If she ever does come back hopefully they know better than to let her perform in a puzzle task again.

In the first few episodes of her first season the Shirin we saw was obnoxious, clueless and incompetent (no puzzles for you!). She did get a golden edit that never quite jibbed with the strong feelings so many had against her. As much as they tried to hide it last time, she seems truly insufferable. She is arrogant (I told you I'd align with you, what more do you want?!) and seems to have no empathy or self awareness. Her hubris was off the charts, really, a super fan who is surprised the game can change on a dime!??

I can almost hear everyone from last season collectively saying ... SEE.

Edited by escatefromny
  • Love 8

Varner really is a smug asshole and I can't wait to see what I hope to be his humiliating blindside.

The whole episode was the world of Survivor according to Jeff Varner.  I don't like his smugness.  Stupid people giving Terry, Savage and Varner power.  The axis of smug.

Like Terry really cares about you, Abi.  No strategy at all in "comforting" you.  Stupid, stupid person.  And, Peih-Gee was right about you.  You were looking to pick a fight with her and were mad at the people who didn't write your name down and joined with the ones who did.  Makes a lot of sense.  Stupid, stupid person who will now hang around to be dragged along as a goat and will think she is surviving on her giving joy to others.  Laughable.

Spencer is the only one I like in that group. 

Go Super Joe!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 11

Why did anybody need to stand up for Abi?  What was said that was wrong? Why was Abi against Shirin instead of against Pei-Gi?  That makes no sense.

Shirin absolutely got hosed.  It was such crap.  I can't even tell if Abi was smart enough to realize that Terry was just blatantly blowing smoke. 

I guess I'll just take my seat alone on Exile Island, but there is too much Varner the Puppet Master for me.

I'm with you.  I can't stand the guy.  I think he's the most annoying and smug person out there.   It was really rich that he said Spencer and Shirin were playing too hard.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8

That's Woo's normal facial expression.

He might have been shocked that Shirin expected him to turn on his alliance for someone who had never bother to talk to him the entire week. And wouldn't have bothered to talk to him at all if she wasn't desperate.

I thought this was a fantastic episode. And the switch up next week should be amazing as well.

• Love 6

Spencer asks Peih-Gee about the chimney and she gets all stank and then gets in an argument with her at night and starts crying because Shirin didn't have her back. Why would I back someone that's causing a fight?

I can think of two reasons right off the top of my head. 

1.  Abi is (was) a key member of Shirin's alliance.  Her vote was critical for keeping the numbers.  Strictly from a game standpoint, it was a huge mistake for Shirin to turn her back on Abi.

2.  Shirin got famous because in her first season she was in a somewhat similar position as Abi.  Actually, Shirin leveraged that into fame, sympathy and a place in second chance.  To then laugh at Abi, when she was feeling ostracized and cast out, shows how sensitive Shirin truly is to that issue.  (i.e., not at all.  It's all about Shirin and what she can get out of it, not any deep-rooted passionate concern about abandonment or 'personal attacks.')

• Love 6

Woo's slack-jawed face during Shirin's proposal/rant/overly-detailed explanation was priceless.  You could just tell her talk was completely falling on deaf ears, though not dumb ears, as Woo instantly shut her down with two sentences.

I love that Terry is acting like he's cracked some secret code of "the social game" by simply acting like a half-decent person.  "I just went up and.....talked to her, can you believe that?!"

Savage's whole talk about meeting his wife was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on Survivor.  As others have pointed out, there was nothing to that story.  It was just "friend set me up with a model, she had to go away on a trip for a bit but she came back and then we got married rather quickly."  Savage made that sound like the most epic love story ever told, and weirdly tragic even though apparently nothing is wrong with his wife.  The worst part is, you just know Probst and the producers loved that clip and thought it really humanized Andrew when, if anything, it make him look like an even bigger douche.

Is Peih-Gee on anyone's radar? I think both Spencer and Shirin left her out of their confessionals entirely about the opposing alliances.

I'm a bit surprised that Spencer, who is more likely to go on an immunity run than Shirin, wasn't the one sent home tonight.

The tribe probably figured they needed Spencer more for any physical challenges.  Voting out Vytas AND Spencer back-to-back would reduce the muscle on their team to just Woo and old-man Terry.  As for Peih-Gee, I think she could be either considered a total afterthought (or goat) by the other players......OR she's playing a brilliant under-the-radar game.  I go back to her talk with Varner in the ocean in the first episode about how they're both sort of caught in the middle of the 'beach people' and 'shelter people.'  If the two of them have decided to just swing back and forth and eliminate threats on both sides, that would be phenomenal.  The fact that Abi has been so mad at Peih-Gee yet Shirin is the one ultimately blamed for it tells me that Peih-Gee has something going on.

Varner's whole "hey y'all, I'm just an old-school guy trying to figure out this newfangled Survivor game, bear with me!" schtick is pretty tremendous.  I'm not even sure the others see him as an actual threat rather than an excitable team player (who just happens to be switching sides every vote).

Anyway, pretty much any alliance-building is now completely moot due to the early tribe shuffle, which I love.  Keeps everyone on their toes.  Hopefully we don't get another bad stroke of luck and end up with one tribe that has all the physical duds and gets smoked in every challenge.

• Love 11

Woo's slack-jawed face during Shirin's proposal/rant/overly-detailed explanation was priceless.  You could just tell her talk was completely falling on deaf ears, though not dumb ears, as Woo instantly shut her down with two sentences.

I love that Terry is acting like he's cracked some secret code of "the social game" by simply acting like a half-decent person.  "I just went up and.....talked to her, can you believe that?!"

Savage's whole talk about meeting his wife was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on Survivor.  As others have pointed out, there was nothing to that story.  It was just "friend set me up with a model, she had to go away on a trip for a bit but she came back and then we got married rather quickly."  Savage made that sound like the most epic love story ever told, and weirdly tragic even though apparently nothing is wrong with his wife.  The worst part is, you just know Probst and the producers loved that clip and thought it really humanized Andrew when, if anything, it make him look like an even bigger douche.

The tribe probably figured they needed Spencer more for any physical challenges.  Voting out Vytas AND Spencer back-to-back would reduce the muscle on their team to just Woo and old-man Terry.  As for Peih-Gee, I think she could be either considered a total afterthought (or goat) by the other players......OR she's playing a brilliant under-the-radar game.  I go back to her talk with Varner in the ocean in the first episode about how they're both sort of caught in the middle of the 'beach people' and 'shelter people.'  If the two of them have decided to just swing back and forth and eliminate threats on both sides, that would be phenomenal.  The fact that Abi has been so mad at Peih-Gee yet Shirin is the one ultimately blamed for it tells me that Peih-Gee has something going on.

Varner's whole "hey y'all, I'm just an old-school guy trying to figure out this newfangled Survivor game, bear with me!" schtick is pretty tremendous.  I'm not even sure the others see him as an actual threat rather than an excitable team player (who just happens to be switching sides every vote).

Anyway, pretty much any alliance-building is now completely moot due to the early tribe shuffle, which I love.  Keeps everyone on their toes.  Hopefully we don't get another bad stroke of luck and end up with one tribe that has all the physical duds and gets smoked in every challenge.

I watched Peih-Gee's secret scene this week and she says that she is closest to Jeff and Woo.

Abi is a sociopath. I don't believe all this nonsense about her being a nice person in real life, sociopaths are good at faking.

Seems to me that Shirin and Savage are very similar (don't they even work at the same place -- Yahoo?) and I think all the attributes Shirin is disliked for Savage has in spades, but he gets away with it because he has a penis and looks like a Ken doll. He's more of an arrogant dickhead than she by far and yet while Shirin was getting blamed for not kissing Sociopath Abbi's ass every second of the day, everyone on Savage's tribe was tearing up at his special story of marrying a South African supermodel. What a load. I bet they're all going to vote for Donald Trump, too.

This episode showed me that we're officially residing in Crazy Town (or Crazy Island). I want to say that I can't believe I have to suffer through another season of Abi's insane bullshit, but I knew this was going to happen.

Edited by pamplemousse
  • Love 18

I can think of two reasons right off the top of my head. 

1.  Abi is (was) a key member of Shirin's alliance.  Her vote was critical for keeping the numbers.  Strictly from a game standpoint, it was a huge mistake for Shirin to turn her back on Abi.

2.  Shirin got famous because in her first season she was in a somewhat similar position as Abi.  Actually, Shirin leveraged that into fame, sympathy and a place in second chance.  To then laugh at Abi, when she was feeling ostracized and cast out, shows how sensitive Shirin truly is to that issue.  (i.e., not at all.  It's all about Shirin and what she can get out of it, not any deep-rooted passionate concern about abandonment or 'personal attacks.')

Maybe because Shirin was laughing at what PG said about Abi which was all true. Abi brings her misery all on herself, would never defend a shit stirrer. As someone mentioned upthread she always wants to bring out the claws when she's good and ready but the minute things go awry she wants to play the hurt little kitten that needs someone to pat her on the head so she can purr.

Out of everyone playing the game I'm rooting for Spencer the most. The Joe worship is making me turn against him. Woo is maybe a little too loyal just like last season he was so loyal to Tony that he ended up losing. I like Tasha but I have to see what her gameplay is this season and for her to stop drooling over Joe.

• Love 2

Maybe because Shirin was laughing at what PG said about Abi which was all true.

True or not, Shirin recruited Abi.  She promised to have her back.  If Shirin wants Abi's loyalty, it's bad game play to then mock her.  A real leader would find ways to soothe Abi's feelings. 

Proof is in the pudding.  Shirin got booted second because she joined in the fun at Abi's expense. 

For Shirin to attack Terry on Twitter -- when Terry is the one who stood up for Abi, even as Shirin was ganging up on her -- reveals volumes about Shirin's real character. 

• Love 7

...everyone on Savage's tribe was tearing up at his special story of marrying a South African supermodel. What a load. I bet they're all going to vote for Donald Trump, too.

Jeremy, Tasha and Joe are going to vote for Donald Trump?  Maybe in some bizarro parallel universe, but hard for me to see it in ours.   

I personally found Savage's story pretty maudlin.  But he greatly moved the entire tribe.  My sense is that he touched a nerve among them, all of whom miss their loved ones.  i.e. it has more to do with the human condition than anyone's politics.   

• Love 6