Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Necessity Is A Mother

• Start Topic

Since my introduction to Stephanie Beacham was SeaQuest DSV, where she played a competent and fairly maternal doctor, I just can't buy her as a hippie flake. The weird voice/line reading issues don't help. And I was wondering whether Iris was meant to be independently wealthy, since Dylan says in 2.03 that she was always throwing money at him. Since she lives in Hawaii, which I understand isn't cheap, and doesn't seem to have a living-wage job, I figure she's got to have family money. Although I think I might have put more thought into that than the writers did...

Yeah, I don't buy that Jack would have ever had a thing for Iris. He doesn't have time for that kind of crap.

They got married in the late 60s/early 70s. So not too far fetched. They both could have been hippies. Like many hippies, Jack ended up going white collar and corporate, while Isis stayed a hippie.

Also...I liked Iris. Part of it is due to the awesomeness of Stephanie Beachum, but Iris was probably one of my favorite family members of the 90210 clique. I can see why some might find her a bit hard to take here, but she does get better in her later appearances.

You don't have to chug it, rook

Also, who chugs beer to get drunk, unless you're a freshman at a frat party? You'd think with Dylan's past booze history, he'd have a better knowledge of alcohol and weapon of choice.

Good to see that braying runs in the Walsh family. I'm guessing the twins get it from Jim's side of the family.

Cindy gotta start saying no to shit sometimes.

Cindy be like, not when it gets me more screen time!

Edited by AndySmith

I don't think it's that complicated. She probably just inherited a chunk of money and other assets from Jack when they got divorced. Of course, her having family money could be a reason why Jack married her, no?

My introduction to Beachum was her playing Sable Colby, and I can buy her as Iris.Then again, I always liked Iris.

Edited by AndySmith

Since my introduction to Stephanie Beacham was SeaQuest DSV, where she played a competent and fairly maternal doctor, I just can't buy her as a hippie flake. The weird voice/line reading issues don't help. And I was wondering whether Iris was meant to be independently wealthy, since Dylan says in 2.03 that she was always throwing money at him. Since she lives in Hawaii, which I understand isn't cheap, and doesn't seem to have a living-wage job, I figure she's got to have family money. Although I think I might have put more thought into that than the writers did...

My introduction was Sister Kate, where she was a nun running a foster home. Jason Priestly was on it too.  I remember nothing specific except the two of them. Also, from Troop Beverly Hills, where she is one of Shelly Long's friends, she supposed to be like Danielle Steel/Judith Krantz type romance novelist.

Does Dylan's beer mug look kinda tiny? Or are we just used to oversize mugs now?

I think Tara and Sarah's idea about how/why Dylan and Iris' motivations are so confused is spot on: the writers know they have to achieve a certain situation (Dylan independent and wealthy), with little care about whether the path there is confusing and contradictory.

Since my introduction to Stephanie Beacham was SeaQuest DSV, where she played a competent and fairly maternal doctor, I just can't buy her as a hippie flake.

I think the actress herself is just the wrong choice for a "hippie" type character.  Her persona is off, so to speak.  It's like when they had Kelly Bishop play a hippie-dippy, zen-ish character on Bunheads.  It didn't work that great because the actress doesn't come off as that type of person.

And honestly, the message of this episode was horrible.  Iris was already a crappy parent, but it's just amazing to me the show embraced the idea of having her essentially give up on parenting the moment things became too hard for her to deal.  I know it was all in service of putting Dylan's money under Jim's control and advancing the Brenda/Dylan storyline, but it was kind of unbelievable.   

I'm sure this is my own latent immaturity talking, but I actually have some sympathy for Dylan's conflicting motivations with regard to Iris. It makes sense to me that he would continue to be mad at her for leaving him when he was a child, while also resenting her for suddenly being around. It's certainly not great behavior, but it also strikes me as realistically teenager-y to not quite understand what you want from your parents, yet to hold it against them that they don't know how to give it to you.

• Love 2

Yeah, this episode had SO many other issues, but I thought Dylan's behavior was pretty typical of abandoned kids. He's testing her commitment because he (rightfully) doesn't trust it. He has to tell himself that he doesn't need or want her love and attention, because then when she inevitably abandons him again he can sort of pretend not to be devastated. I think the fact that Luke Perry is so old contributes to the feeling that Dylan shouldn't be acting that way, because yeah, Perry is an adult, but to me it seems like totally normal teenage behavior given the situation.

• Love 1

The justification for Iris leaving again was a bunch of bullshit. Basically her speech was, I wasn't there for you when you needed me, so since you don't now, bye? Like, instead of actually trying to be a part of your life and make up for lost time in any real way, I'm just gonna shrug and go, because, oops, too late.

• Love 2

I'm sure this is my own latent immaturity talking, but I actually have some sympathy for Dylan's conflicting motivations with regard to Iris. It makes sense to me that he would continue to be mad at her for leaving him when he was a child, while also resenting her for suddenly being around. It's certainly not great behavior, but it also strikes me as realistically teenager-y to not quite understand what you want from your parents, yet to hold it against them that they don't know how to give it to you.

With you. Dylan being a contray dick actually seems pretty realistic to me. He wanted his mom to be a mom...when he was 7, not 17 and a year away from being an adult anyway. And he wants her to care enough to stick around even if he's being a dick which neither of his parents have ever done. And he's not used to sharing anything with anyone for any reason so having her show up and move in would be tough even if he sort of knew it was what he always said he wanted. It all seemed like a soapy but not completely unrealistic version of how friends of mine would act when a flaky parent would try to randomly lay down the law. I remember my cousin having a similarly Da Fuck type response when his lovely but new agey mom tried to ground him for the first time ever at 16.

What doesn't make sense is Iris's reason for staying away. You took the money but didn't spend any...so why stay away? If it was just the money and you didn't need the money why not just say "Fuck you I want my kid"? Are we supposed to think Jack had something else on her and the money was just a bonus? Because if Iris took a bunch of money that she didn't even need and then disappeared for 10 years then she is a shitty mom and Dylan does kind of have reason to hate her.

• Love 1