Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Closet Case

Being the cool dad that he is, Phil helps Haley convince Claire to allow Dylan to move in temporarily, but after seeing how intimate living together means, Phil is having major second thoughts. Mitch takes on a much needed consulting job that just so happens to be for Jay's biggest rival – Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets! – which doesn't go over well with Jay, and elsewhere, Gloria and Cameron disagree on how to handle Manny's girl problem at school.

I loved that Dylan is back and there's no Andy. Dylan has such great comedic timing and fits perfectly.

Phil was hilarious not kicking Dylan out and saying for them to sneak around.

• Love 4

Wow, I loved all four storylines tonight which hasn't happened in a while for me. Luke staying to comfort poor Alex was great. The running gag of Jay's rivalry with "Closets, closets, closets" is one of my favorites. Loved the list of early 80s celebrities on the stolen rolodex and the new use of the word "deal" made me laugh.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

So many things to enjoy!  "Mitch Pritchett"  "Why does grandpa have a rival?"  "We are giving you consent in accordance with university rules."  "Haley, you need to focus on your work.  Dylan, you need to move out." 

I thought this was a really good episode and had good use of all the characters.  I always love the rivalry with Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets and the moment when Mitch realized he was played was hilarious.  As was the use of the term "deal" LOL.  I can't get past how much Lily has grown, darn these kids, why can't they stay little and cute?  Also, I HATE the tradition of cheerleaders being assigned to football players for whatever reason, so I was sorry to see that Manny's cheerleader caved in and was going to decorate the locker.  Yeah, locker decorating is harmless and all, but what Jay was talking about the girls doing for him "back in the day" still probably happens way more than I would care to know.

Funniest to me, as usual, was the Phil, Claire, Hailey and Dylan storyline.  This is where I think Claire really shines.  And I'm not sure what happened to Andy, but do not miss him one single bit.

Weakest to me was the Alex, Luke, Manny bit, I find it hard to believe that attractive college girls have to resort to making out with high school boys when, as Devin Levin mentioned on The Middle, they are never going to be in a situation again where so many attractive people of their own age are gathered in the same place!  And, while it is sad for Alex, I'm glad she and Sanjay broke up, I'd rather see her dating a lot of different guys in college for the potential humorous storylines.

• Love 3

Although I found parts of it funny, Gloria's helicoptering of Manny was just too much. He's in high school and she's still trying to over protect him. Manny didn't seem upset at all that his locker wasn't being decorated and he was actually at a college trying to hook up with girls.

I do like that they show Mitchell having a hard time getting a job as there are so many reports out about not enough jobs for all of the law school grads and with Mitchell's record of leaving jobs he would be a risk to hire. Maybe he should open his own law practice.

Loved Mitchell getting the rolodex for his dad-that was heartwarming.

• Love 5

I thought Alex and Sanjay would've lasted a little longer than episode three, but oh well! They didn't beat the odds, and it was nice that Luke stayed and comforted her. Knew Dylan would be in the bed even though I didn't think it was still going to be the same night Claire laid down the law.

So, Luke and Manny are old enough to drive (legally) now? Scary.

And yes, Lily does seem a lot older now.

I usually like it when Phil is the big protective dad, but this time with Haley and Dylan just seemed too much of been there, done that.

Wow, so far Cam hasn't annoyed me once yet this season. That's a record!

Jay and his rival totally ruined the word "deal" for Mitch...and me! LOL

Gloria goes by "Mrs. Delgado-Pritchett"? I guess that would make sense so she shares the same last name as both her children, but I don't remember her going by that.

Ew, this is a real tradition?

My high school the dance team decorated the football locker room. Thankfully we weren't assigned individual players.

The football players baked us cookies at the end of the season, so it wasn't 100% one-sided.

There was a sorority-type exclusive have to be hazed and initiated into cool girls club (that was in no way actually affiliated with the school; and that I wasn't in, but my sister was) where one of the things they did was decorate the boys bedrooms each game day.  I was always shocked the parents let the girls into the house.

Thankfully we weren't assigned individual players.

The football players baked us cookies at the end of the season, so it wasn't 100% one-sided.

That sounds more palatable than "girl gets assigned to a player and is instructed to do nice things for him".

She had the box of decorations to decorate the locker in her hand when Gloria was thanking her. She said she didn't decorate it yet. So she was going to do it. Just Cam beat her to it.

What kind of craziness is this, girls "assigned" to football players? And what guy would want his locker covered in that frilly crap? What kind of madness goes on in American football-obsessed schools?

• Love 9

The funniest part of this ep for me was when Lily held up her cereal bowl by the spoon, which was glued to the bowl by the cheap cereal. I've never watched an ep of this show where Lily was the funniest part.

I did like seeing Cam at school at his job.

I expected Phil's rival to be setting up Mitchell to find some secret on his desk that would actually hurt Jay's business. I guess the photo was all he had up his sleeve.

I'm glad Luke was finally considerate of Alex, but of course his watching the girl in the background on the laptop was creepy.

I like Dylan, though I also like Andy. I thought Haley and Dylan were being so obvious in their canoodling together that there was a secret plan. I was looking for too many secret plans in this ep.

What kind of craziness is this, girls "assigned" to football players? And what guy would want his locker covered in that frilly crap? What kind of madness goes on in American football-obsessed schools?

Yes. I don't think it'd be a big deal in the school that Luke and Manny goes to since I don't see football being as big there, but definitely yes in "football country". Friday Night Lights covered it pretty well throughout the show.

I thought Phil and Claire and decided to meddle more in the Andy-Haley situation after episode 1 this season. It's weird that Phil would ok Dylan living there if that's the case. While I thought this storyline was funny, Phil needs to own up to his parenting rather than being the good guy.

The Manny/Luke storyline was awful. Desperate girls in college will consent to "anything" to desperate high school guys? No.  I know high school guys have hormones, but the entire thing was awful. I did like that Luke stayed with Alex in the end.

The Gloria helicoptering is awkward, but my mom called my brother and sent a ton of text messages after she couldn't reach me at 10PM last night. I'm married and haven't lived at home for years. So yeah I can see it.

The Jay and Mitchell storyline was good, but does getting that Roladex back really change anything? Who still uses those things? Wouldn't those clients just have Closets closet closets closets in their phone or something?

I like Dylan, though I also like Andy. I thought Haley and Dylan were being so obvious in their canoodling together that there was a secret plan. I was looking for too many secret plans in this ep.

I don't think I am particularly sheltered, but I don't know any 21-year-olds or parents who would be sitting on the same couch as a parent (with the other judgmental parent sitting five feet away), actively groping a boyfriend under a blanket without even pretending to be watching television.

There's no way Mitch doesn't know who Leslie Uggams is.  Fran Tarkenton, I'll buy, but not her.  (Cam would know him.)

Your post reminded me of the Mary Tyler Moore episode where MTM hires a *female* (gasp) sportscaster (competitive swimmer), who is given a tip on a Fran Tarkenton story, then asks on the QT:  "So, this Fran Tarkenton:  who is she?"  It does not end well...

• Love 2

I don't think I am particularly sheltered, but I don't know any 21-year-olds or parents who would be sitting on the same couch as a parent (with the other judgmental parent sitting five feet away), actively groping a boyfriend under a blanket without even pretending to be watching television.

Agree with this.  What was unusual in my personal experience nowadays, though, is that almost all parents I know of high school age children (not even graduates like Haley) DO allow their boyfriend/girlfriend to sleep overnight in the teenager's room/bed.  The reasoning is, like Phil said in the beginning, they are going to do what they are going to do so we might as well know where they are.  I do not agree with this parenting choice, but I can afford to be judgy since I don't have children ;) 

The Jay and Mitchell storyline was good, but does getting that Roladex back really change anything? Who still uses those things? Wouldn't those clients just have Closets closet closets closets in their phone or something?

Getting the Roladex back is probably of no practical benefit, but it's a symbolic victory. I thought it was a sweet gesture from Mitchel to Jay.

The moment in the Closets, etc., guy's office when Mitchel realizes what an awful plan they are undertaking was priceless. He says something like, "The scotch is wearing off and I'm starting to realize that if we do this Earl will have a picture of you with your "deal" out, and I'll have it burned into my brain . . ."

• Love 2

Cameron trying to revel in his power, only to be cut short by Gloria telling him he shared an office with a tetherball, then the janitor dumping a load of flatpack chairs in the room, made me laugh.

Lily has aged, but I think he delivery has come in leaps and bounds.

How did a young Jay get all those celebrities into his Rolodex? Was it just their names, or did he actually have contact info? The rivalry always struck me as a genuine betrayal, but now that it was apparently full of bigshots, I have to ask how Jay managed to compile it in the first place.

I thought it was funny to read the comments hear about Jay's "deal." I ended up having to put on closed captioning because I couldn't figure out what he was saying, even after listening several times.

I was also glad for the continuity of the family budgetary problems with Lily's off-brand cereal.

What is it with kids these days not being able to handle college and ending up back home within a week of leaving? I know Sanjay broke up with her, still, the Middle did this same type of story with Sue in college last week. She didn't go back home but her parents were their checking on her and she was miserable at college at first.

I just can't relate. I loved going away to college. Went home as little as possible and I was only an hour away. Just wondering if this is s societal change in the last 20 years since my college days, do kids still just gravitate back home even after going away to college, or is this just a TV trope used to keep the characters involved in the show?

Not a bad episode overall. Still love the Closet company name jokes, Mitch saying Closet 3 times and being amazed no one could figure out how the name was going to finish.

I liked that the Rolodex was consistent with the 1980s celebrities as well. Seems a bit odd he still has the actual rolodex, since no one uses them anymore. And many of those people are actually dead, or demented, or no longer that important. I realize it was more symbolic than anything though. And I figured when I saw the Rolodex on the desk Mitch would steal it by the end.

• Love 1

So the cheerleaders get to pay for all the shit to decorate the lockers too?

Parent of a cheerleader here--and guess who paid for the decorations?  Except in our high school its not the lockers of the football/basketball players that get decorated but their houses!  And yes, daughter was assigned a football player during football season and a basketball player during basketball season.  This is definitely a tradition that needs to go (and homecoming or prom queen).  Its a very sexist tradition.  I still have trouble with the idea that Manny plays football though or even that he is in high school.  The actor looks so immature and nonathletic, but I supposed if we're supposed to believe that Axel on The Middle has a football scholarship for college, then why not have Manny play football too?  These sitcoms definitely require a suspension of belief!

• Love 2

I think Manny is the extra point kicker.  True, all positions require athletic prowess, but kicker on a suburban soCal public high school is moderately believable, especially when your brother-in-law is the coach.  Just about as believable as any Manny Trait we have seen for 7 years.

I'd buy Manny in football over Axel any day.

Hated Mitchell taking the rival's side in the betrayal.

Loved Lily.

Which girl was going to makeout with Luke? Bc neither seemed to like him.

What is it with kids these days not being able to handle college and ending up back home within a week of leaving? I know Sanjay broke up with her, still, the Middle did this same type of story with Sue in college last week. She didn't go back home but her parents were their checking on her and she was miserable at college at first.

I just can't relate. I loved going away to college. Went home as little as possible and I was only an hour away. Just wondering if this is s societal change in the last 20 years since my college days, do kids still just gravitate back home even after going away to college, or is this just a TV trope used to keep the characters involved in the show?

I liked that the Rolodex was consistent with the 1980s celebrities as well. Seems a bit odd he still has the actual rolodex, since no one uses them anymore. And many of those people are actually dead, or demented, or no longer that important. I realize it was more symbolic than anything though. And I figured when I saw the Rolodex on the desk Mitch would steal it by the end.

What I see is not so much students coming back home, but wanting their parents to come visit them for weekends at college.  I'm not talking about parents' weekends, but asking parents to come cross-country for support.  And parents with the means to do that are delighted to oblige.  I can't remember ever a parent of my friends coming to the college town to hang out for a weekend.  So yes, this expectation is different than it used to be. 

The Rolodex was a trophy more than anything.  And that was sure a big Rolodex! 

I do like that they show Mitchell having a hard time getting a job as there are so many reports out about not enough jobs for all of the law school grads and with Mitchell's record of leaving jobs he would be a risk to hire. Maybe he should open his own law practice.

I'm warming up to it because you pointed out, it is very believable with the shortage of lawyer jobs and Mitch's history of leaving other firms. I do agree, he should start his own practice, in fact I'm sure that's where the other apartment in their duplex will eventually lead.

Especially when they are both living in the basement of the same house.  Apparently, they didn't get frisky in front of the parents when they lived separately and, in theory, didn't have much alone time together, so, why would they start doing it now, when they just need to go down a flight of stairs and can do whatever they want?

• Love 3

Yeah, that was weird. It's not like Haley and Dylan are 14 years old and are thrilled just to be together to make out. They're adults who sleep together; it's off-putting to have them giggling and groping under a blanket in front of her parents.

As for college students crying for their mommies and parents flying in on their helicopters to oblige? It's just part of a greater trend. Back in the day, families had four or more kids and were happy to send one or two off. They had other kids to focus on and probably fostered independence in all their kids. Now families have one or two kids, so all their eggs are in that one basket. When snowflake goes to college, parents have too much time and an empty house. And they probably raised that kid to be dependent on them.

• Love 1

I thought Alex ended up going to Fictional California Science School, so she was only a relatively short (driving) distance away. I don't feel like this means she's come home for good, but maybe I'll be wrong.

I thought the show did a good job of skewering the "cheerleader decorates locker" tradition by Cam confessing that he'd done eight of them.

Closets, Closets, Closets vs. Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets is one of the more farcical gags on the show, but it always takes me out of it just a bit. There's no way two companies would have names that were that similar. On a show that seems to try and portray a relatively realistic universe, that always stands out, to me. Still makes for great comedy, though.

• Love 1

I thought Alex ended up going to Fictional California Science School, so she was only a relatively short (driving) distance away. I don't feel like this means she's come home for good, but maybe I'll be wrong.

I thought the show did a good job of skewering the "cheerleader decorates locker" tradition by Cam confessing that he'd done eight of them.

Closets, Closets, Closets vs. Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets is one of the more farcical gags on the show, but it always takes me out of it just a bit. There's no way two companies would have names that were that similar. On a show that seems to try and portray a relatively realistic universe, that always stands out, to me. Still makes for great comedy, though.

Not to put too much thought into something so trivial, but I don't think there is a Closets, Closets, Closets is there, only Cx4? In this episode, Mitchell mentions the latter a number of times, each time expressing surprise that whomever he is talking to doesn't know what the 4th word in the business title is going to be lol. Then he mentions, I believe, It's Only Closets as a phrase and Jay is confused because of course that's another business name. Regardless, I must be easily amused because I find the closet themed business names amusing every time they show up in an episode.

• Love 2

That's what I thought as well.  An episode, or two or three, ago they mentioned she'd be less than 30-minutes away.

Manny and Luke drove to her school, so it couldn't be all that far.

• Love 1

Then he mentions, I believe, It's Only Closets as a phrase and Jay is confused because of course that's another business name. Regardless, I must be easily amused because I find the closet themed business names amusing every time they show up in an episode.

It reminds me of King of the Hill so much with the Propane companies of Strickland and Thanerten. Which basically did the same thing, except Thanerten took his clients and ran to start his propane company but of course cut corners. Its always POV of people who don't identify with a person's business or passion for a business. I'm tech coordinator but many view me as someone who seems to play games and fix printing problems. But its a lot more than that and I love it, pays nice and always me to grow and learn. How I see the closet business for Jay and the rest of the family except for Claire just don't see it. Gloria and Mitch roll their eyes at it, Cam, Phil and Manny get it but don't focus on it but support it. It's not like Cam's Clown College days that not only has been ran into the ground but everyone sees it more as an obsession of his than a passion. So, the entire rivalry around the Closets business is very entertaining and you can understand it fine. Mitch not knowing those people on the rolodex, that was extremely stupid. No way he wouldn't have known over half the names mentioned. My wife and I were born in the mid to late 70s and only one name that Jay mentioned we scratched out heads at and my wife had to fight for the TV between her sister and brother but they watched a lot of shows that those actors were in.