Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

This episode was absolutely perfect. I laughed from beginning to end. I was worried about how sappy it was going to be(I am not a fan of sitcoms doing very special episodes) but this was done perfectly. Lawrence Fishburne is comedy gold. I loved Dre asking Bow how to tell Pops he loved him before he went to bed and then coming back after Pops attempt to hit him. The kids were once again hilarious and the questions that Junior wanted to ask pops had me in tears. I'm going to definitely watch this episode again. 

ETA: I also loved that each time Bow mentioned the procedure to Dre the success rate went down! 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 9

I loathe that Luther Vandross song, but it made me laugh when Dre wanted to sing it to Pops to say good night and then he later trapped his dad into dancing with him to that song.

Side note: when my sister and I were planning our weddings (a year apart), my mom suggested "Dance with My Father" for the father/daughter dance. We both pointed out that the song is about a father who is ALREADY dead which made it seem like a terrible choice since our dad was terminally ill but still alive. Even if he had been in perfect health, I still would have thought it was a creepy song choice.

Ha, I love that Charlie and Pops go to the same barbershop!

• Love 3
After another lackluster Father's Day overshadowed by graduation parties and summer vacations, Dre and his colleagues decide to come up with a holiday initiative entitled "Daddy's Day,” celebrating everything that Father's Day is not. When Dre meets Resheida, a friend of Zoey's who doesn't have a Dad, they develop a bond after he is snubbed by Zoey and she backs him up on the fact that Dads should be respected and heralded. Meanwhile, Junior decides to help Bow around the house but ends up becoming more of a hassle than a help.

Loved this! laughed from beginning to end with this one as well. So many funny lines!

"Quit circling, Vulture, I'm still here!" to Ruby.

I did rewatch again this morning because when I watched it last night, the scene with Dre and Bow talking as Pops was wheeled away started to pixelate and I couldn't hear what they were saying.

It's the little things that make me love this show, like the blurred shot of Dre's manparts when he hopped on the examination table.  Or Zoe helping Diane with her scarf.

Junior continues to be my hero.  Rock on with your nerd self, kiddo.  I too want to know what Pops thinks about fracking.  How many crab sayings is one crab saying too many?  So many unanswered questions!

"Im a gift! You said it!"

I loved the Imma gift dance by Ruby :)

And then the show loses me.  I always feel like I'm missing the joke when it comes to her.  For me, the dance ruined an otherwise poignant, heartfelt moment.

ETA:

I love how the opening segments introduce the audience to the context of the episode.  Last night's was particularly educational.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 1

Oh, man the funny lines just hit over and over and over.  Sight gags, great moments. This was a hit right out ball park for me

Bow: "I'm sorry I don't speak little bitch."

I also loved Bow's "Don't freak out...' speech to Dre. 

There were a couple of gags that ran throughout the episode that were quite fun:

'Old Man's strength'

'Since when is <weekday> a school day?"

"The procedure has a 95% success rate" (each time Bow reassured Dre the success rate went down)

The scene with the kids talking about Pops dying was great.  All of them were funny.

And of course Diane is the best: "You guys are focusing on the wrong thing.  The real prize... is power of attorney."

I lived the small scene with Pops in the Barber Shop and Charlie's reference to the Old Timer at his barber shop.  The coolest part is the show left it just at that.  They have no idea.

But Dre's 'Damn, Damn, Damn' was the cherry and frosting on the cake.  So funny.

• Love 8

Anthony Anderson doing the Esther Rolle/Florida Evans "Damn, Damn, Damn" was a highlight for me.

When he started with the multiple "damns," that's exactly where I went.

Bow: "I'm sorry I don't speak little bitch."

But Dre's 'Damn, Damn, Damn' was the cherry and frosting on the cake.  So funny.

I was worried that when Dre was having the pity party on the couch, we were in for another round of Dre's whatever is threatened. Also, it's a finger up your ass for a few seconds. Get over it. I need to find a way to work in "I'm sorry, I don't speak little bitch" into my everyday conversation.

ETA: I also loved that each time Bow mentioned the procedure to Dre the success rate went down! 

And the little hand waggle and "eh" noise she made each time.

I'm not a particular fan of Pops, but I thought this episode was really good.

• Love 1

It's the little things that make me love this show, like the blurred shot of Dre's manparts when he hopped on the examination table. Or Zoe helping Diane with her scarf.

Junior continues to be my hero. Rock on with your nerd self, kiddo. I too want to know what Pops thinks about fracking. How many crab sayings is one crab saying too many? So many unanswered questions!

And then the show loses me. I always feel like I'm missing the joke when it comes to her. For me, the dance ruined an otherwise poignant, heartfelt moment.

ETA:

I love how the opening segments introduce the audience to the context of the episode. Last night's was particularly educational.

This is comedy. They are inputing humor with the pathos. Also, of course, Ruby can't just take that moment and return kindness. She has to gloat. That's Ruby. I expect nothing less. Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

When I watched it again this morning, he said "Damn, Damn, Damn, James!" which also reminded of Good Times when Florida broke down. But I was laughing here.

I don't know what it says about me that I giggled and snorted every time Dre whimpered "souuuuup."

Other gems:

"Selena-Vaya Con Dios"

And I'm not sure about the exact quote, but:

Dre: "Why you gotta keep riding me, Pops?"

Pops: "Now that's what you should have said to the doctor"

And Bow and Pops high-five each other.

• Love 1

I lived the small scene with Pops in the Barber Shop and Charlie's reference to the Old Timer at his barber shop.  The coolest part is the show left it just at that.  They have no idea.

I absolutely loved that joke. When we first see Charlie in the barbershop, I was trying to remember if he'd met Pops before, then we see him repeat the cranberry advice to Dre and talking about the old-timer. I can't explain why this is so funny and such a perfect joke.

Loved the ep. So many great scenes and lines.

The flashback to Dre lying on the sidewalk with his horribly broken leg cracked me up. And then of course Pops says, "Walk it off."

Pops: I've been taking Afrin every day for the last 30 years. I think I would know if it was addictive.

The shot of Pops dragging Bo behind her in the hospital was fantastic. Old-man strength indeed. Loved when he was crushing Dre's hand as he lay on the gurney.

Charlie: 90% of people who step foot in a hospital die.

Dre: You're insane. And for your information, 100% of people who need to go to the hospital and don't? Die.

Charlie: Seriously, you want to get into a math-off right now while 90% of your dad that's in hospital die?

Dre to Pops, carrying Jack upside-down: Hey Pop, be careful! He's half of a set!

Dre: Am I boring you, or do you not speak English?

Woman: Both.

Loved the final shot of Dre and Pops dancing.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7

I absolutely loved that joke. When we first see Charlie in the barbershop, I was trying to remember if he'd met Pops before, then we see him repeat the cranberry advice to Dre and talking about the old-timer. I can't explain why this is so funny and such a perfect joke.

Charlie makes everything better. When Dre said, "Why is everyone talking about cranberry juice? Cranberry juice doesn't do anything!" Charlie replies, "I gotta go make a phone call," and instead of walking away, he slides sideways out of the frame. The look on his face and that slow slide out of the picture had me dying.

I also loved Dre's boss walking into the conference room. "Hello, Gentleman! What are the haps?"

• Love 6

I feel like the phrase "damn damn damn" unites so many black people. I think I might judge a black person personally that doesn't get the reference (people that personally i know of course).

• Love 7

The flashback to Dre lying on the sidewalk with his horribly broken leg cracked me up. And then of course Pops says, "Walk it off."

This killed me.  I somehow feel like I was parented like that.  I swear I got flashbacks. 

I had to re-watch.

Bow: "Hey, I don't want you to freak out. Don't freak out. Pops has a clogged artery. Don't freak out.  And they thi--- don't freak out.  That he needs a very simple and routine angioplasty. Don't freak out."  long pause "It's ok.  Don't freak out"

TER's delivery of that was fantastic. 

• Love 13

That killed me because I have most definitely been told to walk it off.

I love this show. I feel like there's a lot of stuff that speaks to the black community but there's also a ton of stuff that speaks to a wider experience and all of it is hilarious.

• Love 5

I thought the show was even more on fire tonight in terms of having little, funny moments in each scene. There was so much to love about the small jokes and continuity from the Barbershop, Charlie, and "Walk it off". I liked that when Pops had his strain, he propped Jack on the dining table and Jack laid there while everyone fussed over Pops.

Love TER's delivery of her lines tonight and she had some great ones.

Not loving Ruby. Love Pops though.

• Love 1

Bow assuring Pops that she'd be 'in the room' with him and then blithely blowing it off made little red cartoon hearts swirl around my head. Tell 'em what they wanna hear and just go on about your day. So cold, so awesome.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode, although I felt AA did a terrible job of acting in in his crying scenes - too OTT.  

I don't like Ruby, but I suppose I am not supposed to.  Ruby (the character, not the actress) is so unpleasant and I would hate to have her be my m-i-l or be a grandmother to my children. 

I'm just now watching the episode, but something that happened earlier in the episode made me wonder what the hell Pops' name is. It's not listed on IMDb, but Wiki says that it's Earl. I can't remember anyone ever calling him Earl, though. When Bow was introducing him to one of the physicians in the hospital, she gave Pops the physicians name then introduced Pops as her father-in-law.

Over all, I enjoyed the episode. Zoe and Jack claiming Pops' goods with pink and blue sticker dots. Junior trying to get oral history on camera. It was all funny. 

I'm just now watching the episode, but something that happened earlier in the episode made me wonder what the hell Pops' name is. It's not listed on IMDb, but Wiki says that it's Earl. I can't remember anyone ever calling him Earl, though.

At one point during this episode Ruby called him "Earl". I think when he strained his heart carrying Jack and everyone was truly worried about him. I noticed it because Earl was my dad's name.

Edited by RedHawk

I also don't like the character of Ruby because she is consistently too over-the-top. There are a lot of exaggerated and over-the-top elements in the show and usually I love them, but it's like Ruby has no other notes. Yeah, occasionally she is nice to Bow, but it's usually brief and she goes back to being obnoxious -- and not funny. I think we need to see more of her behaving like an actual human being and/or adding some subtlety to the character's negative and condescending remarks.

Can't wait to see Bow's parents again.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

At one point during this episode Ruby called him "Earl". I think when he had the heart episode and everyone was truly worried about him. I noticed it because Earl was my dad's name.

Alicia also called Pops, Earl, when she and Paul visited last season.

• Love 1

I love Ruby. Of course I wouldn't want her as my MIL, but her OTT-ness cracks me up. 

Yes! The way she looked Bow up and down when she asked what kind of message NOT killing Nazis would send to Jack made me cackle.

• Love 1

At one point during this episode Ruby called him "Earl". I think when he strained his heart carrying Jack and everyone was truly worried about him. I noticed it because Earl was my dad's name.

Alicia also called Pops, Earl, when she and Paul visited last season.

Thank you both! I guess I just hear "Pops" so often that any other name simply didn't register.

Catching up on this season and wow, they started off strong right out of the gate with the first three episodes. It was interesting to watch this not only so soon after the latest school shooting (and yes, mojito, statistically this year, there has always just been a mass shooting in the US), but also after all of Ben Carson's comments about the how if the victims in Oregon (and the Holocaust!?!) had been armed, this could all have been contained.

I just picture even pro-gun Pops. Shaking. His. Head. at that comment.

Edited by pookat

Bow: "Hey, I don't want you to freak out. Don't freak out. Pops has a clogged artery. Don't freak out.  And they thi--- don't freak out.  That he needs a very simple and routine angioplasty. Don't freak out."  long pause "It's ok.  Don't freak out"

TER's delivery of that was fantastic.

So much agreement! I think this was my favorite part, because it was not only really funny but had an underlying display for wonderful concern for Dre and what his father means to him (no matter how complicated that relationship is, LOL). Just the sheer number of times she said "Don't freak out" was marvelous.

Just like if Jack had sang a song that used the C word to describe a female or the F word to describe a gay man, etc, etc. While those are okay in songs, singing them at a school assembly in front of parents and teachers, not a good idea.

I don't think it's OK to use the C word (which Robin Williams said was his least favorite word, and I agree with him) in a song, ever. The F word is a bit trickier since it's more like the N word. But none of them should be used in a song for the general public, much less a school assembly.

(Mark Knopfler got a fair amount of heat for using the [teo syllable F word in "Money For Nothing" -- defended it by saying that it, along with the rest of the song, was what the guys he worked with said all the time.)

I don't think it's OK to use the C word (which Robin Williams said was his least favorite word, and I agree with him) in a song, ever.

Unless perhaps that song is "Hasa Diga Eebowai" from Book of Mormon. I hate the C word but I accept it in that song for some reason! (Do not listen to this song if you have delicate sensibilities). But still. Not appropriate at school in any way!

• Love 1

I have the UO that any artist can use whatever word they want in any song, ever, and the rest of the population can feel free to protest/not listen, etc.  Teachers, parents, etc. need to be involved enough to know what language is going to be used in a school setting and put a stop to it if necessary. 

• Love 1

Dre uncharacteristically accepts an invitation from their neighbors to go to church; and he and Bow decide to say "yes" more after having a great time. Meanwhile, Jack and Diane discover they were never baptized and decide to do whatever they want.

I loved Charlie standing up through the sun roof while Zoey drove him to the liquor store.

Part of me is sad that Ruby tainted Bow and Junior's relationship because it's nice to see a teenager on tv who isn't always pouting or whining about how lame their parents are. I think it was totally fine when Junior was trying to be a helpful and thoughtful kid (as opposed to the twins coming into the kitchen and demanding breakfast), but the bubble bath comment from Ruby was enough to put a screeching halt to Bow and Junior snuggling in front of Before Sunrise, which is a good thing.

• Love 5

I love this show.

The Dre-Zoey standoff was comedy gold, esp with commentary from his Dad as it went along.  Cele-dre-tion!

Best exchange of the night:  Bow: "He might have cut off Jack's oxygen. We don't know."  Everyone:  "We know."

Also loved that Dre called the Feb holiday "Valentimes".

• Love 8

I like that Black-ish has stabilized Andre's co-workers, who've added much needed levity to each episode, but I hope they haven't dropped his assistant Curtis.

He and Charlie make great wingmen in Andre's crazy schemes.

• Love 1

When Dre's mom made him eat that giant bowl of Cream of Wheat, well, I had flashbacks. My grandpa made my cousin and I eat two huge bowls of oatmeal because we cooked way too much. It was my least favorite day of my childhood. (We never finished it, our moms got us out of it halfway through.) But usually, at his house we enjoyed Cream of Wheat.

This show just gets it. My dad feels the exact same about Father's day. Watching this is like re-living my childhood and laughing at everything we went through. 

• Love 6

I like how they had Zoey wearing the box braids and Zendaya's character had the straight hair. Runteldat, Giuliana Rancic.

Did I read it correctly that this episode was also taking a subtle shot at Kwanzaa? I know some people sniff at it as a "made up holiday".