Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: The Day Alex Left for College

Yeah, I got it later, I'm just slow lately. He probably said "Did you make the French toast?" or something which I didn't put together since, if I was wording it that way I would have said French people. Kind of lame but makes sense now.

I'd wager a guess that's because "Americans" and "Russians" clearly sound like nouns. Whereas "French" immediately sounds like an adjective (although it can be a noun too).

We've all collectively put more thought into this joke than the writers did.

• Love 3

I agree that if someone was wondering if you made toast for French people, there's no way they'd say, "Did you make the French toast?" Just like if it was two Dutch people, you wouldn't say, "Did you make the Dutch toast?" That's just not the way English speakers talk when it comes to those kind of ethnic adjectives.

But it sounds like that was part of the joke - that Cameron worded it in the dumbest possible way. Mitchell called him out on it, saying, "Surely there was a better way you could have phrased that."

It was still a lazy joke, though. It reminds of when Alex's flamingly gay date for the school dance arrived. After Phil took a photo of them, he said "And now one with flash," 
(as in, he was going to use a flash this time), and the boy posed like a diva, because he thought Phil was asking him to be flashy.

That joke would have worked a lot better if people actually said things like, "Now one with flash." But someone in Phil's situation would obviously say, "And now one with a flash."

But at least this time they called out the stupid wording of it.

I am not sold on the hugging and bonding scenes they feel compelled to show between Alex and Haley recently.  It really seems forced.  Haley said something about Alex being her biggest cheerleader, come on, when has that ever been shown, those two have been at each others throats since episode one.  And in a very funny way. 

They really haven't been at each other's throats for the past couple years, though. That was definitely their dynamic in the beginning, but over the course of the show and as Alex got older and Haley was slightly more fleshed out, their relationship has pretty steadily developed? Their bonding/hugging scenes really aren't just recent, they've been happening for seasons now, really. Seeing their relationship development has probably been one of the highlights of the show for me, because I relate to it so much. I wouldn't say the "biggest cheerleader" thing was particularly accurate, but other than that, I really enjoy whenever they have storylines together.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 4

I, too, like the sister bonding thing. Maybe it's because it's somewhat resemblance to me and my sister- actually my family makeup is The Dumpheys, two girls and one boy- so, I enjoy it. I think it comes to a lot of things with them, Haley growing up and getting into being an adult, the fact that they no longer share a room. Speaking from experience again, two sisters sharing a room is not easy at all. Little things. I do think Alex was Haley's biggest cheerleader, in little ways. I recall a scene in an episode where Haley had no plans to go back to college and Alex convinced her to look at the college papers she had been throwing out from Claire and at the end of the episode, she did. 

• Love 1

One of the most spectacular sights I know is watching day-old ducks heading to water in a straight line behind their mother.  How the heck do 24-hour-old creatures know how to do that? 

Ducks (and geese) are easily imprinted.  Look up Konrad Lorenz,

Isn't she close enough to visit or be visited a lot without moving home?

I think she said she was 30 minutes away.