Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: The Day Alex Left for College

Phil and Claire are feeling a little snubbed by their kids when Alex intentionally gives them the wrong college move in date to avoid making it a big deal, and Luke seems less than eager to spend the day with Phil at his open house and would rather go hang out with some guys from school. Elsewhere, the rest of the family concoct an elaborate story to get out of going to Lily's soccer game which only adds to the stress Mitch and Cam are feeling now that they've added landlords to their resume after deciding to rent out the top unit for temporary stays.

I enjoyed several things:

the names Cam and Mitchell had for their rental company

the little comment that Andy ate the last cronut

Haley's enjoyment of Alex's wound-up Doogie Howser roommate

the bizarre house for sale -- great little moments with Phil and the various potential buyers

Mitchell pulling the whistle from the female coach and she fell face forward

even enjoyed little Joe telling on everyone -- so classic

Phil "getting it" at the end and telling Luke he sprained his ankle so go hang with his crew

Didn't enjoy:

Frenetic Claire yet again -- she gets wound up tighter and tighter every season

Joe calling his dad "Jay"

Zero Lilly -- I love Lilly's dialogue and how the actress delivers her lines -- so deadpan/funny

Luke looked absurd the entire episode

Side note: Haley (Sarah Hyland)'s hair is looking amazing this season

• Love 8

Why is Joe calling Jay, Jay?

Because Jay got him to call him that in the episode where Joe mistakenly called Andy "Dada".

I guess the duck isn't coming back to her nest...

ETA: Correction, Joe said "Jay" on his own after Jay was trying to get him to identify him as his dad earlier and I guess it just stuck (S5 episode "And One To Grow On").

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

Frenetic Claire yet again -- she gets wound up tighter and tighter every season

Did the actress who plays Claire do something to her face?  It looked all puffy like she injected stuff into her face.

• Love 4

They could at least have added a PSA that you should never remove a duck nest. Poor mother duck. And if she was dead, so were the eggs by then.

Seriously, shooting a 65-year-old man?

• Love 3

This show already has a Lily, and now Joe has his own schtick.

Although not who Alex hoped for in a roommate, the fifteen year old girl reminds me a little of a less snarky Alex back in her middle school years on the show. It's going to be interesting to watch Alex and her together.

That was kinda....boring. i think the only things I laughed at was Joe telling on everyone and when Mitchell pulled the whistle off the lady. I actually guffawed at that one.

I thought Gloria shooting Jay was reaching way too far for a laugh. An accident maybe but not on purpose.

I hope Alex gets a new roommate. That girl is way too much for me. To be honest I wouldn't mind Alex "disappearing" too. I think she's a real Debbie Downer.

• Love 3

Cam's sudden onset dog allergy was weird. He didn't have one when he met Scout in Season 1 and he didn't have one when Stella lived with them last season.

Do people really have dog allergies without cat allergies?  I thought the cat dander was a lot worse for people with allergies and he seems fine with Larry.

I liked a lot of the episode - Joe having a personality is cute, but OMG Gloria calling him a "rat" each time is already old and tiresome.  As is her being a crack shot and actually shooting Jay on purpose, blech.  Her Colombian schtick has gotten beyond old, as they mentioned she and Jay have been married eight years, why does she sound and act like she just arrived in California?  Granted, I have been sick of this character for quite some time.

[shallow] They did a nice job of showing off Julie Bowens' legs by the pool, poor Manny is really growing up unfortunate looking and WOW, I hope they get a better look for Luke (I didn't even realize who it was at first). Oh, and Haley's hairstyle looks amazing on her.[/shallow]

Right now I am liking the Tucker/Pritchett family the best although they definitely didn't use Lily to her full potential in this episode.  Cam and Mitch were hilarious.  Followed by the Dunphy clan, although they need to figure out what to do with Alex and I am not sold on the hugging and bonding scenes they feel compelled to show between Alex and Haley recently.  It really seems forced.  Haley said something about Alex being her biggest cheerleader, come on, when has that ever been shown, those two have been at each others throats since episode one.  And in a very funny way.  The whole Jay/Gloria family is brought down by Gloria's loud, obnoxious, self-righteousness.  Her looks aren't enough to save their scenes for me, but then, I am not a man :)

Reading my post, it doesn't sound like it, but I do still like the show, but I think they could make a few tweaks to bring back a lot of what I used to find a lot funnier about it in earlier seasons.

• Love 2

Im a sucker and want to love this show again so I actively look for things to enjoy.... It's hard, but I did have some.

"watch the sippy cup."

the cronut.

Cam getting kicked out of the game by that ref kid, "Banished by the ref."

"Diff"

"Word to ya mutha.. no really tell your mom I said, 'hi.' "

"I cant keep track of all your ugly belts"

"You rarely see a 5/8s bathroom, but they're highly sought after."

"I think I lost the Blansons."

Mitchell reading the coaching shout-outs from the phone.

"Mommy shot Jay." which begs the question, as mentioned, why isn't Jay "Daddy?" if Gloria is Mommy. Even if Joe called Andy Dad, I still don't get the Jay bit.

"You let Debbie take your whistle?"

"Artful Lodgers"

The tired part was the chick who talks too fast and is so annoying. Been done on Cosby and other shows. IF she were my roomy I'd.. well IDK what.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

The Phil/Luke storyline was terrific, and really harked back to the father/son relationships of my teenage years. I like that Luke was beyond his yelling blow ups of last season, and Phil wasn't trying too hard to push their relationship. Both were mindful of the other's wants and needs and went along with it just enough out of mutual respect.

By his third child hitting that awkward phase, Phil knows enough not to try and control things, and doesn't have the same break downs we've seen in the past.

And the framing of the weird house set it up very well.

• Love 2

The only sense I could make of Joe saying "Jay" is because that is how Manny refers to him, and Joe is copying his big brother.

What the hell is with guys wearing snoods these days? They make "man buns" look good. And it seems like knit caps would be rather warm in Southern California.

• Love 2

Luke looked silly, but I guess wannabe hipster is typical for some teenage boys.

That was one weird house, love the stairs that go to the basement and then they're upstairs. That was very Escher.

Demanding that extended family attend a child's soccer game is another stupid TV trope. I guess Cam and Mitchell said they went to all "their" kids events, meaning Phil and Claire I guess, but it was Jay and Gloria they were forcing into attendance and really, grandparents, aunts uncles, teen cousins are expected to attend a routine soccer game for a child? Talk about inflating the child's sense of self importance. And Jay, soccer is a real game and way more entertaining than football to watch, esp when kids play it.

What does Haley do, exactly?

• Love 2

I don't recall the entire clan being at Luke's soccer game (the one where Phil missed it, but Claire caught it and Luke did so well) or all of Manny's football games (does he even play anymore?--I can't remember if he quit or not). It does seem a bit unreasonable that they all have to go to EVERYTHING and now have agreed to only miss one a year (not even per kid, right?). Sitcom logic.

I liked Claire being bent out of shape that Jay, Gloria, and the kids were all at the pool and Jay reminded her it was their pool. Seriously, Claire.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1
[shallow] They did a nice job of showing off Julie Bowens' legs by the pool, poor Manny is really growing up unfortunate looking and WOW, I hope they get a better look for Luke (I didn't even realize who it was at first). Oh, and Haley's hairstyle looks amazing on her.[/shallow]

I had no idea that was Luke at first. 

Demanding that extended family attend a child's soccer game is another stupid TV trope. I guess Cam and Mitchell said they went to all "their" kids events, meaning Phil and Claire I guess, but it was Jay and Gloria they were forcing into attendance and really, grandparents, aunts uncles, teen cousins are expected to attend a routine soccer game for a child? Talk about inflating the child's sense of self importance. And Jay, soccer is a real game and way more entertaining than football to watch, esp when kids play it.

I couldn't relate to this storyline, because my kids' grandparents beg to come to their sporting events (even when I'd prefer them not to...). I think my parents and in-laws may be the odd ones out though. Anyways, I got the point that Cam and Mitchell were trying to make - that over the years they have attended many of Phil and Claire's kids' events and maybe Manny's events as well, and it was time for them all to return the favor so to speak. 

Glad to see that there was not much talk (or none possibly?) of Andy and Haley. I wonder if they are setting up a storyline where Beth ends up leaving Andy because he's gotten fat. I can't remember, were they still engaged at the end of the last episode? 

I liked the comparison to roombas.

And I liked "Watch the sippy cup," but Gloria walking and walking and walking afterwards weakened it for me.

French toast vs. toast for French people was kind of cute, but I agree with Mitchell that Cam should have known it was not clear.

• Love 2

Loved the episode, especially no Andy.

Andy was recently in the house, having just eaten the last cronut.  (Please, never make me eat one of those!)  I agree, just fine to have missed his appearance. 

French toast vs. toast for French people was kind of cute, but I agree with Mitchell that Cam should have known it was not clear.

I didn't think this was cute or funny, maybe because I didn't get it?  If they were Greeks, for example, would they have said Greek toast and, if so, how does that make any sense if they just meant toast for the Greek people?  It seems like they were forcing a joke, but the set up didn't register.  Obviously I am overthinking, I think I get what they were going for, I just can't see how they thought that joke worked.

• Love 3

Mannys impression of Cam was dead on. 

Not hugely laugh out loud, but very enjoyable episode. 

It took me a second to realize that hipster in the hat was Luke. 

Loved that Mitchel called halftime "intermission" 

I knew Alex would get some super hyper girl. I wish she would get placed with Sue from The Middle. Actually, they could probably switch roomates and be happy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
the little comment that Andy ate the last cronut

Ohhh. I thought Manny said he was going to get a Corona. I wondered why Jay didn't say, "You're not having a beer." When Jay said Andy ate it, I thought that was a weird, but funny, joke that Andy eats everything, including beer bottles.

I had a Mallard duck make a nest and lay eggs on my property this year so I looked up information regarding the ducks and duck eggs. Mallards are federally protected and it is against the law to move eggs/nest. So, probably not the best message to be sending out about taking the nest.

Otherwise, it was an okay episode. Just like with the Middle though, I am so over dragging out the middle child's going to college. I, too, did not really recognize Luke at first. But, I will say, I think he worked on his diction as I could understand him much better than in the last couple of seasons.

I also don't understand everybody going to all of the childrens' events. Must be nice to not have work conflicts.

• Love 3

I don't have a lot of laugh out loud moments with this show anymore. With Hailey getting older and now Alex has left for college I wonder how much longer this series can run. This episode was okay, I just don't love it like I used to.

• Love 1

I had a Mallard duck make a nest and lay eggs on my property this year so I looked up information regarding the ducks and duck eggs. Mallards are federally protected and it is against the law to move eggs/nest. So, probably not the best message to be sending out about taking the nest.

Yes, I live next to a government wetland/park, and there are signs telling us not to encroach on nests or waterfowl (no feeding, either)!  Lots of fines -- plus, as I said early in the thread, not helping the mother or the potential (now dead) future ducklings by taking them from where the mother is.  One of the most spectacular sights I know is watching day-old ducks heading to water in a straight line behind their mother.  How the heck do 24-hour-old creatures know how to do that? 

And Jay, soccer is a real game and way more entertaining than football to watch, esp when kids play it.

Hmm...Lots of adults over 55 hate soccer especially when its little kids playing it and don't consider it a "real" sport probably because its not a traditional American sport.  Sadly, I didn't laugh once during this episode.  This show needs to end as its veering into "Friends" territory--past its prime and no longer a bit funny.  I used to love this show so much, now its just trying too hard all the time, and they have the characters acting out of character.  When have the Dunphy's ever been so invested in Alex?  It always seemed to me that she was the one that never got much attention.  And I totally agree that Gloria should have assimilated into California (American) life by now.  The whole heavy Columbian accent and "back in Columbia" schtick is just grating at this point. I think I'm officially done with this show.  I'll just watch the reruns from back when it was actually funny.

• Love 2

I was wondering that same thing, it was a really crazy house even had a 5/8th bathroom what ever that would be. LOL. 

Either a half-bathroom plus a urinal, or a three-quarters bathroom that only has cold taps, no hot!

• Love 2

I did chuckle slightly when Mitchell and Cam said "we're not one of those couples that lets our problems come between us." I feel like I must've been watching a different show these last few years.

But I continue to love the show's unabashed delight in word play (and the actors' comedic timing at pulling it off). Taking "shot yourself in the foot" literally was a great gag.

• Love 1

I didn't think this was cute or funny, maybe because I didn't get it?  If they were Greeks, for example, would they have said Greek toast and, if so, how does that make any sense if they just meant toast for the Greek people?  It seems like they were forcing a joke, but the set up didn't register.  Obviously I am overthinking, I think I get what they were going for, I just can't see how they thought that joke worked.

I would assume Cam probably was making a joke originally when he brought up "French toast" to Mitch, because they are french, and Mitch took it literally. Just a misunderstanding.