Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tobeannounced

Small Talk: How Not To Get Caught Dead With Dirty Underwear

19 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

This story infuriated me today. Be sure you read it thoroughly. A local attorney chimed in when I posted it on Facebook, the judge had no choice due to the law.

I saw that on a newscast yesterday Cooks; thanks for posting the link. It boggles me that this can happen while, as Annber posted, people who commit violent crimes might get a couple of years, then parole. I wonder what his life will be like going forward. Surely prison has molded him/changed him. In which way, I don't have a clue. I wish him well.

• Like 3

As a court advocate for victims of domestic violence, I see a lot of what goes on in court. I see judges being compassionate, being hard and tough, and all the while following the guidelines that are set down by the lawmakers. Our DA and her staff always get bitched about for not answering inquiries, or not being in the office ... well, they travel around and cover 7 counties. Most only cover 3 or 4, but not here. A woman whose husband was murdered couldn’t understand why the DA didn’t contact her to tell her when the suspect would be in court. That’s not her job, I explained, and I showed her a link online where she can get notifications when he is scheduled to appear. Once a trial date is set, then the DA will want to meet with her to go over her testimony, since she was a witness. And a trial date could be three years away. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

On 8/31/2019 at 3:07 PM, cooksdelight said:

And a trial date could be three years away.

I know this is common, but it boggles my mind. I wonder how many people remember things differently three years after the fact. It has to be misery to wait three years for the trial of the person who murdered your family member ... and then wait to see if that person gets convicted or not. At least Dateline condenses it down into one or two hours. (People can gain a lot of weight in three years!)

• Like 5

Chanel surfing a few weeks ago I ended up on the ID (Investigative Discovery) chanel that isn't even listed on my Spectrum TV guide and watched a show called "Fear Thy Neighbor."  I liked it so much I went online to the chanel site and found about thirty episodes I'm working my way through. They're re-enactments, which I usually hate, but I'm hopelessly drawn to the idea of a neighbor complain about a barking dog or noisy teens escalating into full on murder.  I own a Dachshund!  This could happen to me!

Anyone else know this show?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Chanel surfing a few weeks ago I ended up on the ID (Investigative Discovery) chanel that isn't even listed on my Spectrum TV guide and watched a show called "Fear Thy Neighbor."  I liked it so much I went online to the chanel site and found about thirty episodes I'm working my way through. They're re-enactments, which I usually hate, but I'm hopelessly drawn to the idea of a neighbor complain about a barking dog or noisy teens escalating into full on murder.  I own a Dachshund!  This could happen to me!

Yes I watch it now and then.  The newer shows seem better than the older ones.  Also I really like Murder In A Small Town.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I've watched them all, of course.  Nevermind stranger danger - teach your kids not to piss off the grumpy old man next door!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Oh, definitely! I've seen every episode of that show at some point, I think. It's absolutely bonkers. So much violence over the smallest, stupidest, most insignificant things. 

Last night's episode reminded me that I always love it during that show when, after everything escalates to murder, one of the people being interviewed says something like, "I never imagined it could've escalated to this kind of violence." 'Cause, y'know, all the physical confrontations and angry, threatening words and things of that sort that happened up to that point were just silly playground spats, I guess. 

• Like 5

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:42 AM, JudyObscure said:

I'm a Dachshund owner as well, and I will attest to the fact that they bark incessantly, and I'm sure my neighbors have all wanted to kill me at some point.

Also, Fear Thy Neighbor is one of my favorite ID channel shows.

• Like 7

@Mondrianyone

Hey,, taking this to small talk.  I am class of "76 at Barnard.  How about you?  I grew up in Queens, but I've stayed on the Upper West Side ever since college.  I'm from the era when the school was 50 percent locals.  I was a commuter at first.  You must remember the days when they didn't have enough dorm rooms.  One semester I was relegated to the worst dorm, 400 West 118th Street, which is the one that was off Morningside Drive.  It was always a scary thing walking back there at night. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GussieK said:

@Mondrianyone

Hey,, taking this to small talk.  I am class of "76 at Barnard.  How about you?  I grew up in Queens, but I've stayed on the Upper West Side ever since college.  I'm from the era when the school was 50 percent locals.  I was a commuter at first.  You must remember the days when they didn't have enough dorm rooms.  One semester I was relegated to the worst dorm, 400 West 118th Street, which is the one that was off Morningside Drive.  It was always a scary thing walking back there at night. 

And 50 percent of those went to Bronx Science.  LOL.  Also quite a few gals from Hunter.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, GussieK said:

@Mondrianyone

I've sent you two DMs, but I guess you haven't seen them yet!

Ok putting this here in case anybody is reading it:  Fotis Dulos apparently tried to kill himself yesterday by gassing himself in his car.  He found "cling to life" by police sent to do a wellness check as he hadn't shown up for his bail hearing.   

Frankly, I hope the bastard dies (still in critical as I write this, but as he's lasted this long, he'll probably survive).  I find his timing interesting: if he REALLY wanted to kill himself, why not do it the night before when nobody would be coming to look for him?    He had to know that by missing his court appearance,  somebody would be knocking at his door.   Maybe the cops didn't show up as soon as he thought, so he inhaled more carbon monoxide than he thought he would.    And I can't believe an innocent person would do this either. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:44 AM, 12catcrazy said:

Ok putting this here in case anybody is reading it:  Fotis Dulos apparently tried to kill himself yesterday by gassing himself in his car.  He found "cling to life" by police sent to do a wellness check as he hadn't shown up for his bail hearing.   

Frankly, I hope the bastard dies (still in critical as I write this, but as he's lasted this long, he'll probably survive).  I find his timing interesting: if he REALLY wanted to kill himself, why not do it the night before when nobody would be coming to look for him?    He had to know that by missing his court appearance,  somebody would be knocking at his door.   Maybe the cops didn't show up as soon as he thought, so he inhaled more carbon monoxide than he thought he would.    And I can't believe an innocent person would do this either. 

Thoughts? 

Just saw that he died.  

• Like 3

No tears shed here.  He was supposed to be a control freak so this is another way to say "fuck you" to his wife's family.  Again, an innocent person wouldn't have done this and I dont think this was guilt as a person who felt guilty wouldve at least expressed remorse and said what he did to Jennifer.  This was pure selfish control.  And I read an article about his lawyer's wife (the lawyer charged with conspiracy in Jennifer's murder), and she and her husband are going through a very nasty divorce.  Dulos kept trying to get her to come to his house for some kind of meeting and she got a bad feeling.  She never went and felt that he was trying to lure her into a trap.  Maybe he and the lawyer made a deal: you get rid of mine and I'll get rid of yours.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

A coward all the way through. What a disgrace. He gets into debt (with his wife’s family, no less) then kills his wife. And now he will never be held responsible for it.

His scummy lawyer was just on the news bloviating about how he is requesting the prosecution to move forward with the case, in order to “clear” Fotis’ name. Jigga  wha? Spare us all, please. We know he is guilty as sin. 

• Like 3

"Clear Fotis' name.."  You mean keep collecting billable dollars from the estate, basically leaving the scumbag's kids with nothing.  

It will be interesting if either his ex-girlfriend will do more talking (if she knows more), or the lawyer, now that the guy is dead.  

And can you believe that he was reported to have a new girlfriend?  So here you are some woman - you're now involved with a guy who is a) accused of murdering his wife, and b) dragging his then-girlfriend into it.   And you are thinking what?   I guess there is no fixing stupid or delusional women who are desperate to be hooked up with somebody.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

"Clear Fotis' name.."  You mean keep collecting billable dollars from the estate, basically leaving the scumbag's kids with nothing. 

Right, not to mention, continued waste of taxpayer dollars/resources. Outrageous sense of entitlement from this lawyer. Frosts my bum, as a coworker of mine used to say. 

• Like 2

Does it count if I’ve just finished reading a book that reminds me of an extended Dateline episode? Two Truths & a Lie.  Very compelling.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

So I’ve been watching Only Murders In the Building.  Besides Selena Gomez’s opening monologue, is anyone else picking up random Dateline references, like Cinda CANNING?  I’m eager to see how it ends.