Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: How Not To Get Caught Dead With Dirty Underwear

tobeannounced
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I'm not sure where you are, bubbls.  I admit, I was shocked to see it on NBC News, but I think it may be because several cops have been killed this year.  Two or three cops were killed in Colorado earlier this year as well.  From an Ohio point of view, yes, it's kind of shocking.  Westerville is a suburb of Columbus.  There are sections of Columbus where shootings are a frequent occurrence.  However, Westerville is normally not one of them.

Probably a Combination of factors then. I’ve been fairly distracted with personal stuff for several weeks. 

• Love 1

Anyone watching the three part mini-series, "Dirty John" on Bravo?   I just watched Part 1 online.  I might have been bored if I hadn't seen the Dateline episode about him, but because  I have and I know what's coming  --  I was skeered!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Anyone watching the three part mini-series, "Dirty John" on Bravo?   I just watched Part 1 online.  I might have been bored if I hadn't seen the Dateline episode about him, but because  I have and I know what's coming  --  I was skeered!

Hell yes, I'm watching!  ;-)

I'm also watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime - the prison seamstress supervisor who helped those 2 felons escape.  I'm enjoying it, as well.

• Love 1

Darn, I wish I got Showtime!  That woman fascinated me, on one hand I felt sorry for her, a plain woman falling for the flattery of a handsome conman.  On the other hand, she cheated on  a nice husband who trusted her.  Not to mention the whole criminal aspect...

• Love 3

I mentioned in the episode thread that our local sheriff’s dept and detention center employees are being investigated. I’ll post several links... it’s about ready to blow. One inmate died, others were badly beaten. Sheriff claimed he didn’t know anything about what had happened, then one of the former employees posted emails showing he did know.

It’s like something out of a movie. Or a Dateline episode.

https://carolinapublicpress.org/27849/guard-fired-after-scrap-with-inmate-questions-handling-of-case-as-sbi-investigates/

https://carolinapublicpress.org/28376/da-wants-sbi-to-probe-treatment-of-chained-naked-inmate-at-nc-jail/

https://carolinapublicpress.org/28370/emails-about-naked-chained-inmate-appear-to-contradict-nc-sheriff/

https://carolinapublicpress.org/28383/key-staff-resigns-amid-widening-nc-probe-of-alleged-jail-inmate-abuse/

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

How horrible, the NC case is.  Sadly, it's a nationwide problem.  Over crowded prisons, mentally ill people locked up with criminals because there's no place else to put them, drugs everywhere plus inadequately trained guards add up to a recipe for disaster.

• Love 4

Drugs are a HUGE problem here. And the DAs office isn’t helping things, either. I went to court one day with a friend of mine, and I counted almost 200 cases that were continued, a lot of dismissals also. There are 8 murder cases still waiting to go to trial, one of them is more than 3 years old. I had to call police one day after something went missing from the front yard. The deputy who came to file a report looked like he was barely out of high school.

• Love 1

Hey Irlandesa!

The Adelson brother (Rob)'s story in Texas is very telling, in my opinion.

Her parents sound like they would totally help pay to have Dan murdered if they weren't above bullying their son for falling in love with a non-Jew.

I think they financed it and Charlie (the other son) put the people together to make it happen.  I think Wendi most likely knew about it after the fact and is protecting her family or knew about it before the fact and didn't stop it. 

The Adelsons are gross, evil people.

• Love 4

I blew through the podcast about the Dan Markel case in one afternoon.  One big gulp.  I feel so sorry for the Markels.

I also do not understand why Katie is not flipping on Charlie?  He is disgusting, and Wendy's mother?  Ugh!

Highly recommend this podcast!

The trial of the two guys is slated for June 2019...unless someone flips on someone.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I think Wendy was in on it - ALL.  They are a reprehensible family.

You think she knew about it beforehand?  I can buy that.  I'm not sure about her level of involvement, but I do think she's involved.  Her mother and brother are in it up to their necks, and I doubt the father is innocent.  I hope that karma smacks that family HARD.  Good thing that the one brother and his family cut all ties.  From the podcast, I think it's clear that he thinks his parents and siblings orchestrated it.

I hope Katie comes to her senses and rats all of them out.  If someone else doesn't come forward with something to implicate the Adelsons, they could get away with this, which is an utterly abhorrent thought.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

You think she knew about it beforehand?  I can buy that

Yes, I do.  I'll go further, and say I believe she was the driving force behind it all.  With more than eager and willing co-conspirators, I might add.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, I do.  I'll go further, and say I believe she was the driving force behind it all.  With more than eager and willing co-conspirators, I might add.

Now, here is where our path diverge, but only slightly.  I think her mother was the driving force behind it, but Wendi didn't object either.

There's some information from the podcast that makes me think that Mama drives the bus in that family and everyone goes along for the ride:

1)The Adelson parents bullied their other son when he fell in love with a non-Jew.  Son has cut all ties with his family.

2) Wendi once said that she wanted a small ceremony by the beach, but her wedding was a big lavish affair.  That sounds like a "mother move" to me.

3) Also at the wedding, Dan kept kosher, so did many of his friends, and he assumed the wedding would be.  It wasn't.  Again, a "mother move."  His parents were also paying for the wedding, but her parents could have messed up the food on purpose if they chose.

Plus, the Dateline episode said that Dan accused his mother-in-law of trashing him in front of his kids.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Now, here is where our path diverge, but only slightly.  I think her mother was the driving force behind it, but Wendi didn't object either.

There's some information from the podcast that makes me think that Mama drives the bus in that family and everyone goes along for the ride:

1)The Adelson parents bullied their other son when he fell in love with a non-Jew.  Son has cut all ties with his family.

2) Wendi once said that she wanted a small ceremony by the beach, but her wedding was a big lavish affair.  That sounds like a "mother move" to me.

3) Also at the wedding, Dan kept kosher, so did many of his friends, and he assumed the wedding would be.  It wasn't.  Again, a "mother move."  His parents were also paying for the wedding, but her parents could have messed up the food on purpose if they chose.

Plus, the Dateline episode said that Dan accused his mother-in-law of trashing him in front of his kids.

I'll go with that.  I don't listen to podcasts, so am ill-informed.  But I did want to KILL, KILL, KILL the mother, so there's that.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Wendi's smart so I think, at this point, she knows her brother and mother (maybe father) were involved but I am less convinced she was actively involved in the conspiracy before hand.  In all the tapes the podcast released, we heard Charlie vaguely implicate Katie and his mother and his mother briefly mentioned discussing this with her husband (Wendi's father) but I don't remember anyone talking about Wendi as if she knew.  And the undercover cop tried to rattle Charlie and his mother but they never tried to pull a similar sting on Wendi.  Maybe they Mirandized her when they first brought her in and couldn't pull the same sting but it was pretty telling. 

I guess I just wouldn't expect her to say that her family was Dan's biggest enemy and that she hoped no one did this for her--basically pointing at her family--if she knew they did it. 

I was watching The Voice last night.  Blake told one singer that he lit up the room.  I immediately thought the singer better start to look over his shoulder.  People that light up a room always seem to end up on Dateline as a victim of murder.  

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

I was at Crime Con a couple of weeks ago and got these stickers at the Dateline panel.  Andrea Canning and Lester Holt couldn’t make it but Keith, Josh, and Dennis were there along with one of the show’s producers.  

They talked about about how they choose and develop stories, what it’s like to interview killers versus victims families, and just the show in general. 

Good panel overall but the stickers really made appreciate the behind the scenes staff that help make the show -and stuff like this - happen.

885D2197-57DD-41A3-9515-12EE7138734D.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 7/19/2019 at 9:26 PM, car54 said:

Josh liked something I tweeted---I feel like I'm famous now. 

Josh is awesome,  I'd love to ask him who tried to sell him the biggest line of BS on Dateline.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 7/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, car54 said:

Josh liked something I tweeted---I feel like I'm famous now. 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, cooksdelight said:

YAY!! That happened to me once with a very famous chef who mentioned me. I could have died happy right then and there. 🙂

Ken Jennings liked and responded to one of my tweets once and I felt like my life had been validated. So I know what ya'll are saying. I almost swooned right out of my chair. Sometimes the happiest things are so simple!

• Love 7

Natalie Morales was on with Jenna Bush to promote her new role with Dateline (she got poofed from Today when the Matt Lauer thing happened and then got poofed from Access Hollywood when Mario Lopez didn't want a co-host)

I can't tell if she will be narrating a whole episode like Keith and Josh and the others, or if she will be doing the opening and closing tags like Lester.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

She did the whole episode last night, about the man who tried to poison his wife. She did a great job. 

I didn't know who that was hosting last night, I thought it was the "regular" woman with a different hair style, except she looked so different. But hair can do that to a person!

I count on you people here to keep me straight.

I've read quite a bit of true crime, and some theorize that the reason so many serial killers are never caught is the behavioral people think women aren't serial killers.    I think they're wrong.    They seem to think that Aileen Wournos was one in a billion, but I agree with the professionals who think up to  20% of serial killers are women.  

• Love 2

I know they've talked about that on "Deadly Women", too, how back in the early 20th century and prior, a lot of women got away with murder because juries simply refused to even entertain the idea that a woman was capable of killing somebody. 

There's also the stereotype of how women kill versus how men kill, and women's methods tending to be much more subtle and covert and intimate (poisoning, for instance). That would make it a lot easier for women to get by with crimes as well. 

• Love 3

I remember the reaction of a male friend when I told him, “Did you know you can kill someone by putting a bottle of eye drops into their drink? It’s colorless, odorless, no real obvious taste... and *poof* they’re dead. Not detectable like antifreeze.”

He kind of kept me at arm’s length after that conversation. LMAO!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I remember the reaction of a male friend when I told him, “Did you know you can kill someone by putting a bottle of eye drops into their drink? It’s colorless, odorless, no real obvious taste... and *poof* they’re dead. Not detectable like antifreeze.”

My goodness, don't give your secrets away.  One day it might come back to bite you😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

PSA:

If you get away with killing your first spouse, take the money and ;

A- keep your mouth shut, and

B- don't kill anybody else, including subsequent spouses or elderly.        parents. 

Sheesh.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Annber03 said:

know they've talked about that on "Deadly Women", too, how back in the early 20th century and prior, a lot of women got away with murder because juries simply refused to even entertain the idea that a woman was capable of killing somebody. 

For even longer they believed that a woman would never kill her own children.  I still remember Susan Smith's first news conference where she was sobbing for her children to be returned.  I said, "She's not really crying," to someone, and then felt mean about it and said maybe she was just numb but thought she should look like she was crying.  Fortunately the local detective noticed it, too, and that plus the fact that the traffic lights on that road never turned red unless there was someone at the side road, got her caught.  That case just floored me.

• Love 5
On 8/18/2019 at 11:16 PM, cooksdelight said:

He kind of kept me at arm’s length after that conversation. LMAO!!

And probably is getting his own drinks, and will from now forward. You did him a favor (unless you wanted to kill him).

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I said, "She's not really crying," to someone, and then felt mean about it and said maybe she was just numb but thought she should look like she was crying. 

This shows even "regular" people don't/didn't believe a woman capable of killing her own children, or anyone for that matter. Society made us feel guilty if we thought a woman was a killer. I guess that's changing now. But wouldn't the world be a bit simpler if it were true, women just didn't kill anyone. If only!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

For even longer they believed that a woman would never kill her own children.  I still remember Susan Smith's first news conference where she was sobbing for her children to be returned.  I said, "She's not really crying," to someone, and then felt mean about it and said maybe she was just numb but thought she should look like she was crying.  Fortunately the local detective noticed it, too, and that plus the fact that the traffic lights on that road never turned red unless there was someone at the side road, got her caught.  That case just floored me.

My mom has talked about how she and my grandma saw the news footage of Susan Smith crying on TV and all that, and apparently my grandma, upon watching that, immediately said, "She did it." Sounds like she had the same questions and doubts you did. Such a horrifying story. Those poor boys. 

I also remember hearing a story on an episode of "Forensic Files" once involving a house fire that had killed two children. The husband and wife, along with one of the kids, managed to get out of the house. During the episode there was mention of how the woman, on her way out of the house, had used an intercom the family had set up in the home to try and call to her son and alert him of the danger. I remember that detail struck me really weird-no mother in their right mind is going to just run out of a burning house knowing full well any children of theirs may still be inside, and they wouldn't just casually warn them of a fire over a freaking intercom to boot. They'd die if it meant they got their kids to safety, and even if they did have to escape before all their kids got out for whatever reason (or if they'd thought their kids were with them when they got out only to realize afterward that some might still be inside), they're still obviously going to be in full on panic mode and trying to do whatever they can to help save their kids. This woman didn't do any of that. So that naturally struck investigators odd right off the bat, too. 

Come to find out, of course, that she'd been the one to set fire to her home. She'd also been poisoning her husband for some time prior to that and had hoped to kill him that way, as revenge for an affair he'd had, but when that wasn't proving to work, she decided a fire might do the trick. Tragically, even though he'd survived the poisoning attempts, they still caused significant enough damage to his body that he's had to live with the rest of his life. I can't remember if she specifically intended to kill her kids as well, or if they were going to be more potential collateral damage, but either way, it was clear she didn't seem to care whether or not anyone made it out of that house that night. 

It is very difficult to imagine how a mother could kill her own children, yes, for obvious reasons, and fortunately, I think, in general, it is one of the less common forms of murder out there. But yeah, anyone who believed, or still believes, a woman can't be capable of that kind of crime need only look at the cases that do exist :/. 

• Love 1

I wasn't going to watch the Hinckley episode but ended up doing so anyway. I remember being so IRKED when he was let go, and even more angry after his sentencing that said he would never serve any prison time for shooting three people, and only by the grace of god not killing Reagan. Instead he got free room and board, medical care and everything else free, paid for by our tax dollars. So irritating and upsetting. President Carter was lucky Hinckley never got a shot off to kill him. I guess that's not worth any prison time either.

According to heavy.com, "Hinckley said in a 2018 evaluation that he has never been happier" and he's "happy as a clam." Well, good for him. How about asking Jim Brady how great his last years were.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, saber5055 said:

. Instead he got free room and board, medical care and everything else free, paid for by our tax dollars. So irritating and upsetting.

Wouldn't the same have been said if he got life in prison? 

I don't know why an insanity defense is considered getting away with something.  It's not as though they get to walk free.  A prison sentence is for a set number of years, but winning the insanity defense means you don't go home until a psychiatrist says you're no longer a threat to society and in most cases that's  going  to be never. As it is only 2% of defendants win an insanity defense.  That's another reason so many mentally ill people are in our prisons who should be in asylums.

Hinckley has schizophrenia and if that isn't a valid insanity defense I don't know what is.  He ended up spending thirty five years in a locked asylum with other violently mentally ill people. I would choose prison every time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Wouldn't the same have been said if he got life in prison? 

LOL. Well, since you put it that way ...

Still irritating to me though. A dog bites someone and it's put to death. Hinckley shoots all those people, one just happens to be the POTUS, and gets life support. And now he's out. And selling books. *sigh*

I thought I put my Hinckley post in the episode thread. Surprise, it was here, which is why I couldn't find it. I'm getting close to needing full-time Hinckley mental-type supervision myself.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

His crime: Stealing $50.75 from a bakery 36 years ago.

Alvin Kennard was 22 years old when he was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole back in 1984. Alabama state law at the time mandated that since it was his fourth offense, the judge had no other option than to sentence him to life in prison.

Meanwhile, I've lost count of how many cases I've heard where somebody was convicted-not accused, actually convicted-of a violent crime like rape or molestation who've served significantly less time in prison. Okay, then. 

That is absolute bullshit that he was stuck in jail for that long over that. Thank goodness he's getting out now, though-and I like the mention that he'll have a home and family to return to as well. I wish him well going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3