Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: The Blind Auditions, Part 4

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

At the end of Christa Hughes (?), Blake was twisting his wedding ring. When was this taped?

They shot it all in June/July. I was supposed to attend the last day of blinds on July 8, but they finished picking their teams on the 7th. (My friend told me- she went on the 7th).

Dangit.

As I recall, the whole Blake/Miranda thing was unfolding right around then, or possibly just after?

Edited by Cthulhudrew

That is a good question and I was wondering the same; especially when Pharrell announced to one of the contestants that he had won this competition. I was always under the assumption that the blind auditions were taped while the current season is showing  the battle or knockout rounds. 

The blinds are taped several months ahead of the rest of the show. The battle rounds are taped afterwards, and then the live shows follow directly from there (and are, of course, live, although certain segments are taped. When I went a few years ago for the quarter finals, they taped the Killers performance with Cassidy Pope, even though that performance didn't air until the following week. I don't know if that's standard- I assume it was either a scheduling issue with the group, or else the fact that they couldn't fit the setup of the band's equipment, etc. into the middle of the live show.).

(Matter of fact, they're taping the season 10 blinds right now, while they air the pre-recorded season 9 blinds before heading into season 9's battle rounds and live shows. Just missed my chance to get one for next weekend, actually. :( )

Edited by Cthulhudrew

The blinds are taped several months ahead of the rest of the show. The battle rounds are taped afterwards, and then the live shows follow directly from there (and are, of course, live, although certain segments are taped. When I went a few years ago for the quarter finals, they taped the Killers performance with Cassidy Pope, even though that performance didn't air until the following week. I don't know if that's standard- I assume it was either a scheduling issue with the group, or else the fact that they couldn't fit the setup of the band's equipment, etc. into the middle of the live show.).

(Matter of fact, they're taping the season 10 blinds right now, while they air the pre-recorded season 9 blinds before heading into season 9's battle rounds and live shows. Just missed my chance to get one for next weekend, actually. :( )

There are 3 pre-recorded stages--Blind Auditions, Battles and Knockouts.

The first live show is the Play-Offs where the Top 20 get whittled to the 12 Finalists.

The S9 KOs were filmed on 8/24-25. The first live shows should be the first week in November.

Does this mean you know who the four judges will be during season 10?  I'm surprised they are taping the season 10 blinds right now since we haven't been told who the judges are for that season.  I'm wondering if Christina will be back next season.  I think the other three are staying.  

I agree that Blake and Adam arguably have the best teams so far, but we'll see what happens with the rest of the blinds. 

I really could not stand the girl who sang the "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates"  song.  I laughed when she said that getting only 3 chairs to turn would be failure - and then she got ZERO! 

Gwen's dress looked to me like it would be very uncomfortable to sit in for a whole show, with all those plastic or vinyl sequins.   I find it weird that they tape all these at once, and don't even try, by having the judges change clothes, to make it look like it's separate days. 

• Love 1

Does this mean you know who the four judges will be during season 10?  I'm surprised they are taping the season 10 blinds right now since we haven't been told who the judges are for that season.  I'm wondering if Christina will be back next season.  I think the other three are staying.  

I don't know (though I'm still trying to score some tickets for something!), but I believe I heard that Christina is back.

Back on topic, was it just me or did the girl who sang Brand New Key (Julie Broadus, I think) sound a lot like Melanie Martinez? I swear I saw Adam perk up as if he thought so, too.

Gwen's dress looked to me like it would be very uncomfortable to sit in for a whole show, with all those plastic or vinyl sequins.   I find it weird that they tape all these at once, and don't even try, by having the judges change clothes, to make it look like it's separate days. 

They actually film them over several days, and the coaches have to wear the same thing each time, so that they can later edit them together for the airings. My friend who went the day before I was supposed to go in July (when they completed their teams), said the only act she's seen so far from her taping was the duo that got engaged.

They actually film them over several days, and the coaches have to wear the same thing each time, so that they can later edit them together for the airings. My friend who went the day before I was supposed to go in July (when they completed their teams), said the only act she's seen so far from her taping was the duo that got engaged.

Are you saying there are more auditions that don't make a team that are not shown?

I find it weird that they tape all these at once, and don't even try, by having the judges change clothes, to make it look like it's separate days. 

They have to do it that way because although they tape on different days, they edit the singers and selection of teams out of order.

I hated the way the brand new skates girl sang that song--much more affected and annoying than the original ever was, although at the same time trying to sound creative by copying it. SO happy she wasn't chosen. I didn't think she was like Melanie Martinez except that I think she was trying to be original and indie (but unlike MM, failing). MM didn't have a singing style that I really loved, but I thought she was a genuine artist, with a real musical point of view. Really glad she's done well post-show, and stayed so true to herself as a singer-songwriter.

I think Blake's team is strong, but how many aren't country? If he winds up with 8 country singers--all really good--that's probably going to leave him with one of the weaker teams after the steals.

• Love 2

Are you saying there are more auditions that don't make a team that are not shown?

Yes. Everyone who makes a team gets at least a montage. But if you don't get any chairs you may get a full package, a montage or absolutely nothing.

• Love 1

The teams to beat this season are definitely Adam and Blake. The battles and the knock outs are gonna be brutal with many good people going home and stolen by other teams.

That's funny, I think Gwen actually stumbled into a few real good acts too.  Also some sucko ones, but enough really top shelf ones, when she ditches the bad half in Battles she'll be in a good place.

Blake has such a Total Kountry lineup this time, he's basically just going to be halving the same kind of talent over and over until the final few. When through elimination, his folks will be quite a threat, but before that, it won't be that interesting.

Adam definitely has a great team this time though. Pharrell is the one who seems to have the weak (or at least PREDICTABLE) team this time, IMO.  Although even he seems to have 2 or 3 really good ones, so by the time of the live shows, short of some really stupid eliminations, I actually think all four coaches will have strong teams this time around.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Last year didn't quite a few steals come from Gwen's team, because her coaching was good? So far this year she has almost all quirky women. It would make sense strategically for guys to pick her, just because they might have a better chance at lasting longer.

This has been my favorite audition episode by far. I think Adam has a good shot at winning this season if he can some how hang on to Victor and the twins.  Victor so far is my favorite. 

Last year didn't quite a few steals come from Gwen's team, because her coaching was good? So far this year she has almost all quirky women. It would make sense strategically for guys to pick her, just because they might have a better chance at lasting longer.

By that same logic it would make sense for some Country acts to pick ANYONE but Blake,because he's only going to set them off against each other (and usually keep all the non-country acts he has, so he himself is playing the percentages better).  But that rarely happens, because they feel it's a roll of the dice that favors him helping them more long-term, if they just get past those early eliminations.

I imagine to a lesser extent Gwen's acts may feel the same. She's not automatically plugging them into a pipeline of gigs and industry help the way any contestant of Blake's gets. None of them can, because only Blake's part of the music industry works in a way where that can be arranged that way anymore. But her contestants may not realize that. They're just thinking "like helps like".

Of all of the non-Blake acts, Usher and Pharrell may be the only ones potentially in a vaguely similar situation to him. While they may not have access to a whole network of little venues that'll take an unending stream of Coach-pimped players, they at least have Urban Radio stations, that will give these folks endless guest appearances the same way the Country Radio stations probably roll out the red carpet for Blake's acts.  Whereas the mainstream Pop radio stations that Adam and Gwen's music play on probably won't want to hear from any of their little pet projects.

• Love 1

I wasn't gonna go there, but I'm glad you did, heh.  I got it that she was a lesbian, too, but there was no need for her to dress like the fat kid who gets picked on all the time.  I still don't know what she was thinking.

It is cool in some circles to be a geek and dress like this.  She spent time preparing what she would wear and presenting herself this way.  

Andi & Alex had a phenomenal harmony.  But why do these people keep wasting themselves on Adam?!  He'll be of no help to them at all!  He'd better hope he doesn't dump them quickly as he did to Alaska & Madi and Dawn & Hawkes. 

Alaska & Madi were on Blake's team.  I think that duos in general don't do well on this show.  The only duo that I remember making the lives was the Swon brothers in season 4. 

By that same logic it would make sense for some Country acts to pick ANYONE but Blake,because he's only going to set them off against each other (and usually keep all the non-country acts he has, so he himself is playing the percentages better).  But that rarely happens, because they feel it's a roll of the dice that favors him helping them more long-term, if they just get past those early eliminations.

I imagine to a lesser extent Gwen's acts may feel the same. She's not automatically plugging them into a pipeline of gigs and industry help the way any contestant of Blake's gets. None of them can, because only Blake's part of the music industry works in a way where that can be arranged that way anymore. But her contestants may not realize that. They're just thinking "like helps like".

Of all of the non-Blake acts, Usher and Pharrell may be the only ones potentially in a vaguely similar situation to him. While they may not have access to a whole network of little venues that'll take an unending stream of Coach-pimped players, they at least have Urban Radio stations, that will give these folks endless guest appearances the same way the Country Radio stations probably roll out the red carpet for Blake's acts.  Whereas the mainstream Pop radio stations that Adam and Gwen's music play on probably won't want to hear from any of their little pet projects.

I feel like we haven't heard much about the coaches helping contestants in more recent seasons.  Beyond the season 4 country contestants, has there really been any significant buzz around any coach "opening doors" for their contestants?

I feel like we haven't heard much about the coaches helping contestants in more recent seasons.  Beyond the season 4 country contestants, has there really been any significant buzz around any coach "opening doors" for their contestants?

Blake is the only one who ever did it significantly anyway.  Usher and Adam may have made some token efforts, but it wasn't more than that.

Alaska & Madi were on Blake's team.

You sure?  I distinctly remember them being on Adam's.  I remember him admonishing Blake, Usher, and Shakira for not stealing them after they were dumped at the first Battle round, telling them they could've won season six.

Dawn & Hawkes are the ones I remember. Adam had never heard anything so amazing in his life. They were a lock on the finals.  Destined to be winners if they just picked him.

Then...boom. He dumped them before America could even offer an opinion. That one was the pair that convinced me Adam must seem incredibly charming and sincere in person when he's giving his pitch, but if I were a singer, I'd force myself to choose one of the others--ANY one of the others, because I don't think he means what he says at all, most of the time.  I think Gwen's right, that he's just "intensely competitive" and will say anything to get someone to choose him, especially on a 3 or 4 chair turn.

It'd be hard to know what to do as a country singer if everyone turned. Even if Blake's team was loaded with country singers, I think you'd have to go with him anyway, if given the chance, just because he really does keep in touch with so many and if he liked you, you proved yourself, he could do so much more for you in your genre than any of the others.  Doesn't matter so much with any other kind of singing, but with country, I think you really would have to gamble on Blake, especially since if he dropped you in the battleround, you still could wind up with someone and a second chance.

• Love 1

Blake is the only one who ever did it significantly anyway. Usher and Adam may have made some token efforts, but it wasn't more than that.

I think it was more than token efforts in the early seasons. All 4 original coaches were doing things like having their contestants tour with them or collaborating on songs.

I guess my thinking is the show has been on for so long and it's becoming obvious that the coaches can only do so much, that even Blake is no longer able or willing to do much for his contestants. The argument that certain contestants should pick Blake because of post-show help doesn't seem particularly compelling. I mean, most country contestants should still pick him because of his expertise, but I don't agree with the post-show help part. The market is saturated with reality TV contestants. What has Blake done lately?

You sure? I distinctly remember them being on Adam's. I remember him admonishing Blake, Usher, and Shakira for not stealing them after they were dumped at the first Battle round, telling them they could've won season six.

Yes, I'm sure they were on Blake's team. Adam really wanted to steal them in the battles but he had already used up his steals.

Dawn & Hawkes are the ones I remember. Adam had never heard anything so amazing in his life. They were a lock on the finals. Destined to be winners if they just picked him.

Then...boom. He dumped them before America could even offer an opinion. That one was the pair that convinced me Adam must seem incredibly charming and sincere in person when he's giving his pitch, but if I were a singer, I'd force myself to choose one of the others--ANY one of the others, because I don't think he means what he says at all, most of the time. I think Gwen's right, that he's just "intensely competitive" and will say anything to get someone to choose him, especially on a 3 or 4 chair turn.

It'd be hard to know what to do as a country singer if everyone turned. Even if Blake's team was loaded with country singers, I think you'd have to go with him anyway, if given the chance, just because he really does keep in touch with so many and if he liked you, you proved yourself, he could do so much more for you in your genre than any of the others. Doesn't matter so much with any other kind of singing, but with country, I think you really would have to gamble on Blake, especially since if he dropped you in the battleround, you still could wind up with someone and a second chance.

I loved Dawn & Hawkes' blind audition, but they really weren't that good afterwards. Especially the girl. I agreed with Adam's decision to not advance them to lives.

• Love 1

I don't know, Noreaster. I think just being able to reach Blake on the phone and get him to tweet about your latest song or gig. Or, even if you get an agent or deal offer that he has nothing to do with, to be able to talk to him and get his advice would, to me, be invaluable.

Maybe you can pick up the phone if you've been on Team Pharrell, but I think Blake is --far and away-- the most accessible coach when the show is over and a guy who is very sincere about staying in touch and at least offering (visible) support,  experienced advice -- and maybe, even, a chance to appear with him or his friends some place. (As we learned this season, he still even keeps in touch with Xenia in Temecula).  If I wanted to improve as an artist on the show, I might choose someone else (although the previews of his battlerounds appealed to me more than the others'). 

If I wanted the experience of performing with/ getting coaching from a coach I had a crush on, or whose music I really loved, I might pick someone else.  (Though Blake's awfully cute! lol)

But if I wanted someone who'd keep in touch after the show and help with ... whatever, not necessarily contracts and gigs ... it'd have to be Blake.

ETA: Again, "agree to disagree" about Dawn & Hawkes. Yes, she was weaker after the blinds, but to me, that was because of Adam's song choice.  And if he -really- thought they were as amazing and had the "lock" he told them they did in the "courtship phase", he would have kept them around in spite of the lousy song choice (or better yet, not given it to them to begin with).

It wasn't that they were my favorites, btw, because I didn't even think they were that great in the blinds. It was that ADAM made them think they were the greatest thing in pop music since the Beatles (okay, slight exaggeration.... the greatest thing on the Voice)  and I really think the ONLY reason he told them that was to get them to choose him. I like him, but it was kind of douche-y, that.  And he does it so often that I really wouldn't trust him (or his song choice, esp in the battlerounds and KO's) enough to choose him at all.  Yet time and again, we see singers going in to the audition, planning on choosing a different coach and winding up with Adam. After all this time, they have only themselves to blame when his song choice just doesn't work with their voice and preferred genre.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Regarding dawn and Hawkes, I think Adam does tend to overpromise in his pitches. However he seems to set up easier paths for his early favorites and he does tend to steal those contestants he got really excited about early on and who didn't choose him. I think his excitement is genuine at the time it happens. But things can change. The contestants still have to deliver and live up to their original potential. And the coach can't ignore better performances by the previously less-favored contestants.