Type keyword(s) to search

Where to Shop for Food in Your Town or Nearby

ethalfrida
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Not surprised to hear WF is in trouble.  The store near me in Phoenix is probably one marked to go.  I don't do a lot of shopping there but I need it!   It is the only place I can find dry packed shell fish and squid steaks.  Plus my Trader Joe's is tiny.  I do have Sprouts near and shop ther offen but they don't have some key items I buy any WFs.   

I know what you mean.  Remember a decade ago when brining turkey was all the rage?  The only place I could find juniper berries was WF.  There was one near my then-job, and I'd go there for to-go sandwiches.  I identified with the guy quoted in the article who said "lunch and spices".

Just now, ethalfrida said:

I am excited for the Amazon purchase. I attended a seminar for potentially becoming an Amazon vendor and loved seeing how they work behind the scenes. It should be great for employees too.

Well that even makes me even feel better about using them! 

Went to Whole Foods this morning for the 1st time in 6 weeks and could not believe all the stuff they had on sale. I've never seen it before, even around a holiday. Also overheard a customer telling the fishmonger she's glad they are now getting double time for working holidays rather than time and a half. New management shake-up? Amazon buyout?

Went to Chinatown in Houston yesterday.  Always go to the grocer down there when we go to pick up certain spices and rice noodles I like.  They had cherries for $1.28/lb and the 2 lb. pack of strawberries for $2.49.  I love the Asian market because they can't charge an arm & leg for stuff because it just won't sell if their clients think they are being gauged.  Even if it is a good price, the tiny grandmas will bicker with them over the freshness.  It is awesome.

• Love 4

Wegman's is the big place to do food shopping in my area. Can be quite expensive so you have to pick and choose for good prices. It works for me most of the time because I am shopping for just myself so if something I find is too expensive I just skip it and change my weekly planning for food because it doesn't really affect anyone but myself.

• Love 1

I made my first visit to a Wegman's this past weekend. I love food and food shopping but I don't have strongly held opinions about where I go even though all my friends rave about this place. I was surprised to find that their prices for milk, sugar and bananas were much lower than my usual store but I had a really hard time finding stuff due to vaguely labeled aisles. I couldn't even find the customer service desk for help. That said, I can see why people would enjoy shopping there if they had lots of time to roam around as the displays were very fun and colorful.

• Love 2

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods and the area inside the front door where they used to stage seasonal food is now a wall of gray lockers that say "Amazon". I haven't paid too much attention - is this for on-line food pick-up or anything from Amazon pick-up?

I want to get back to the Amazon/Whole Foods 365 that opened up in another town, that isn't over an hour away, for a change. 

I've shopped at a new Fresh Thyme store, over the past few weeks. Certain things I need to get from Giant Eagle, but I like the place, and the fact they sell my Xyla. Now I don't have to make a special trip to Krieger's (although I like the store, and wouldn't mind shopping there regularly). 

I'm in the Bay Area and want to know where I can get ramps.  Aren't they famously season-limited and seemingly grown in the eastern US?  I've never seen them out here, so I'm determined to get some before I kick the bucket.

Berkeley Bowl has had them in the past, the season is short so you might want to call them in April to see if they will have them. I don't really get the hype. I much prefer garlic chives which are cheap and readily available.

We've had a Lidl store near me for about a year. I decided to give it a try today and boy howdy was I disappointed. It reminded me of what the dollar stores would be like if they sold food. The variety was sad. I saw some vacuum packed fresh Norwegian salmon that looked good. I didn't realize you could get everything from socks to bread makers. I loaded their app on my phone. I'm taking it off. When I checked out with the 3 items I bought, there were 12 people lined up for 1 checkout lane. They finally opened another one. I have no plans to return.

• Useful 1