Type keyword(s) to search

Where to Shop for Food in Your Town or Nearby

ethalfrida
  • Start Topic

Foodies love to shop for groceries. We have gone from Los Angeles to Louisiana to restock supplies of sausage, spices, seafood and condiments.

LONG BEACH: City Wholesale Foods (they have a list online you can download; get on the mailing list; a weekly special is lobster/filet mignon package for $37)

For prepped foods/gourmet/splurges, I like Pusateri's.  They also have full grocery in some locations.  A Whole Foods is close to me, as is Longo's (Toronto-area supermarket chain that started out as a produce place).  Meat is good at Rowe Farms or The Healthy Butcher and if I want to get food from my ancestral culture, I mostly go to T&T (it's a big supermarket chain.  We "jook sing" (a not-so-PC name for Canadian born Chinese (or any person of Chinese descent born in a western country, for that matter).  I embrace the name as an identity, though) don't usually like the old style markets because they often smell weird.  Besides, T&T has a delicious bakery and food court).  For a more market-like place, there's St. Lawrence Market, which, unlike farmer's markets, is open most days of the week.  They DO have a farmer's market on Saturdays.

• Love 3

I am lucky enough to have a Wegman's a couple miles away and go once a week (it's my food emporium!)  Then I have Harris Teeter, a very nice southern supermarket very close by, and two other supermarkets.  We also have a big Whole Foods but I just run in, get what I want and leave (I don't take advantage of the restaurant areas or the bands playing on weekends--don't like crowds). So we're well fed :>)

• Love 1

I am lucky enough to have a Wegman's a couple miles away and go once a week (it's my food emporium!)  Then I have Harris Teeter, a very nice southern supermarket very close by, and two other supermarkets.  We also have a big Whole Foods but I just run in, get what I want and leave (I don't take advantage of the restaurant areas or the bands playing on weekends--don't like crowds). So we're well fed :>)

Bands? You all have live music? :D

Fresh and Easy stores are closing in the U.S. We are extremely distrurbed by this as they are neighborhood markets that offer high quality and organic products. The sale right now is 10, 20 and 30 percent off. The one thing I immediately did was to go to the nearest two to stock up on their organic oatmeal/cranberry cookies! They are so good! The first one had some but they were all gone at the second. So I came away with only three bags :(.

Yes, according to a neighbor who loves going to this Whole Foods on weekends with her husband ("It makes us feel younger").  There are two round bars with stools: one is for seafood and the other is smoked meats, bbq.  She says there's another area upstairs too (had no idea there was a second floor).  They bring in bands on the weekends to make it more lively I guess.  It's a big store with 4 buffet areas and a dessert buffet.

• Love 1

Yes, according to a neighbor who loves going to this Whole Foods on weekends with her husband ("It makes us feel younger").  There are two round bars with stools: one is for seafood and the other is smoked meats, bbq.  She says there's another area upstairs too (had no idea there was a second floor).  They bring in bands on the weekends to make it more lively I guess.  It's a big store with 4 buffet areas and a dessert buffet.

Are you near/in DC?

• Love 1

I'm in Fairfax and it's the Whole Foods at Fair Lakes Shopping Center.  When they built it they said it was the snazziest of all the Whole Foods. Then they built one just like it in the Chicago area and I think they've built some more.  We have other WF's in northern VA but they're all the same and not like this one--big and active!

I am lucky enough to have a Wegman's a couple miles away and go once a week (it's my food emporium!) Then I have Harris Teeter, a very nice southern supermarket very close by, and two other supermarkets. We also have a big Whole Foods but I just run in, get what I want and leave (I don't take advantage of the restaurant areas or the bands playing on weekends--don't like crowds). So we're well fed :>)

To quote Liz Lemon, I want to go to there.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3

You guys have a dessert bar at your WF?  LUCKY!  My local WF was the first in Canada (I think) and it's "small" compared to other locations.  Two salad bars and one hot bar.  Weekends are good.  Weekends = better samples.  Hahaha.  Though we seem to see the same people over and over - especially dips and olive oils/vinegars

• Love 1

About 7 months ago, I moved to central Texas for work. My favorite place to shop is H.E.B. It's my happy place. There's only Walmart and maybe one other place to shop so it's nice that H.E.B. is actually some place I like to shop and not it's the only game in town. You can get just about everything in there. It's a super store.

I can't wait though until I move to an area that has a Wegman's. I love that store. I more than likely woudn't shop there all the time since I find them to be kind of high.

• Love 1

Anyone shop at Costco or Sam's? 

I was recently at the local ones checking out some prices (not a member of either) and they had some decent prices for antibiotic and hormone free meat.  Since I try to buy this kind of meat (grass fed too) but it is often pricier than what I can bear to pay, I was looking for some first hand experience about the quality of the meat.

The meat I've had from Costco is really good.  I mostly buy from family farms, but there are times I ignore my own rules and buy commercial meat from Costco.  The pork spare ribs are always fabulous, as are the lamb chops.  I've never bought beef there, as everything they have is boneless and I don't understand steak without the bone (unless it's filet mignon).  I've never bought chicken, either, because I have ready access to a local chicken farm.

And their frozen wild Alaskan salmon is actual wild Alaskan salmon (and very tasty). 

Costco has a good reputation for its products being what they're purported to be (e.g. the UC Davis extra virgin olive oil study), and for being a great taste at a great price.

(I have no idea about Sam's; I won't give the Waltons any of my money.)

• Love 3

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.  Since the Costco and Sam's are only about a mile apart, I'll go with the Costco.  I avoid Walmart to the extent possible, but blanked on the connection with Sam's Club.

Costco is selling more and more organic. They actually have organic chicken, whole, breasts, thighs and wing parts. I buy them and it is quite economical. I like that the chicken parts come in sectioned packaging also. I try to eat organic as much as I can so I like the options at Costco. Other than that it is Lazy Acres or Wholefoods.

I do wish I had easier access to local farms! Besides the vegetables and fruits I love duck eggs! They make the best mayo and baked goods. Right now I buy them at farmers' markets and the nearest one, although closer than the farms, is about 30 minutes away. The duck eggs are about $1.00 each but one equals two large chicken eggs.

Thanks for the feedback on Costco.  My nephew told me a lot of his co-workers shop there and that if you are given a Costco gift card, you can shop there even without a membership (but only members can buy the gift cards).  He's going to have one of them buy  one for me so I can give it a test run.

• Love 1

Hi Masonlamps...

Have you made anything with any duck eggs yet?

Apologies if my post here was a repeat, though.

Honestly I don't know where to get duck eggs or I would. And you weren't being repetitive, I just remembered your post because it stuck in my mind that it made sense after all the years of my mother telling me the "good" farm fresh eggs were only for eating and regular eggs were for baking.

• Love 1

Honestly I don't know where to get duck eggs or I would. And you weren't being repetitive, I just remembered your post because it stuck in my mind that it made sense after all the years of my mother telling me the "good" farm fresh eggs were only for eating and regular eggs were for baking.

Asian grocery stores.

• Love 1

Where do you get vanilla beans? Not just names of stores (because we probably don't have that store here) but where in the store do you look.

I see vanilla beans in the baking section of my local supermarkets.  Vanilla bean paste, too.

Where do you get vanilla beans? Not just names of stores (because we probably don't have that store here) but where in the store do you look.

Baking section. I find the most cost effective ones at Costco but they are seasonal there too. However, you can also order them from EBay. It is reasonable if you bake a lot and/or use it to make your own extract which is what I do with the beans.

Maybe the spices section, too.

Totally made my own. You can't beat the intensity.  I get my beans online at www.beanilla.com. But as for the physical store, yes, they are in the spice section. But what you get online are fat, plump strong beans as compared to the small ones elsewhere.

Sometimes I swear I live under a rock. A friend told me about one of the grocery stores in town that offers an Express Lane service. Never heard of it. It's awesome! For a fee of $4.95 I can go online, make my grocery list at the store-including alcohol and pick it up the next day without ever having to get out of my car! Some things I selected online the store didn't have so they substituted a name brand of higher quality for the same price.

With school out for the summer grocery shopping has become a pain. I've got the two older boys and than my four month old and her car seat takes up a whole cart (I don't like to balance her car seat on the top so I put it in the basket) so I'm limited as to how much I can buy. If I have to do a big shop I will wear her in my baby wrap but she doesn't always like that. Typically I've been waiting until my husband gets home and shopping at 9pm without the kids. 

This service is great and it also cuts down on hungry shopping and impulse shopping!

• Love 2

Hah!  I live under a bigger rock because I used to think the employees loading up a cart in each aisle (while I was shopping) were shopping for themselves, that they were done with their work shift and on the way home.  It was only recently that friends, at a weekly gathering, informed me that these supermarket employees were shopping for the folks who ordered online or by phone. Duh.  Never gave a thought to those big lockers out in the entrance way to each supermarket.  I knew about this type of shopping for groceries but never connected it with the employees in the aisles (maybe because I've never done it?) Maybe I should shop this way (and save some money!) because I can enter a supermarket for just a few items (especially Wegman's) and leave with a huge cartload :>)

• Love 1

In addition to that Safeway delivers and we also have Instacart who will delivery from multiple stores. I don't use either regularly because I like grocery shopping and typically don't go to Safeway but I do use Instacart for staples from Costco.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe I should shop this way (and save some money!) because I can enter a supermarket for just a few items (especially Wegman's) and leave with a huge cartload :>)

If we had a Wegman's I'd definitely consider this, but I don't trust our local Stop & Shop employees with the responsibility of my shopping list. 

biakbiak, I'll have to look into the Costco instacart.  Our Costco is like a freakin' zoo on Saturdays, which is when I can get to it.

• Love 1
On July 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM, harrie said:

If we had a Wegman's I'd definitely consider this, but I don't trust our local Stop & Shop employees with the responsibility of my shopping list. 

biakbiak, I'll have to look into the Costco instacart.  Our Costco is like a freakin' zoo on Saturdays, which is when I can get to it.

Yea, my mom informed me today that Walmart is rolling out this option. Talk about not trusting the employees. And it's not so much about trusting the employees but I wouldn't trust the store if I had an issue with a product and needed customer service. With the grocery store they sort of specialize in groceries, if you know what I mean. Walmart is carries everything, their loyalty lies no where in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a Walmart fan if you can't tell. 

I know some stores locally do offer the delivery option but for a pretty hefty fee. I live about 15 miles from the nearest store with that option and I'm "in town" pretty much daily so picking up the groceries isn't a problem, it's the shopping for them that is. Don't get me wrong, I love grocery shopping but I also spend way too much at the store and it's become an inconvenience for me with three little ones in tow. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mountainair said:

Yea, my mom informed me today that Walmart is rolling out this option. Talk about not trusting the employees. And it's not so much about trusting the employees but I wouldn't trust the store if I had an issue with a product and needed customer service. With the grocery store they sort of specialize in groceries, if you know what I mean. Walmart is carries everything, their loyalty lies no where in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a Walmart fan if you can't tell. 

Exactly. And I should have been more clear: it's not that I think a S&S employee is going to willfully harm my groceries.  It's more like I think they won't take a lot of care with my order.  If it says tomato, I feel like they'll grab a random tomato without checking for soft spots, blemishes or whatever; whereas I can spend a good five minutes - okay, probably more like a minute or two -  looking them over for one or more of the right size, ripeness, and condition.  I care about the groceries I'm paying for and find it difficult to believe a random stranger is going to care about my stuff as much as I do. 

• Love 1

Wow, the stores around here have online shopping/delivery, but the instacart stuff sounds cool.

Alas, I'm an east-coast gal which means:

• No Costco (Sam's [a Walmart-owned Costco-ish store] or BJ's Wholesale Club here!)
  • No Safeway, Stop and Shop, or Wegman's (Hannaford, Price Chopper, or Shop Rite here!)

At least we have Walmart. I think EVERYONE has Walmart or Target now. (Ironic since, in the late '80s, The Weather Channel would run Walmart ads a lot around here and we had no idea what it was. The boom came around 1993 or 1994 here!)

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wow, the stores around here have online shopping/delivery, but the instacart stuff sounds cool.

• No Costco (Sam's [a Walmart-owned Costco-ish store] or BJ's Wholesale Club here!)
  • No Safeway, Stop and Shop, or Wegman's (Hannaford, Price Chopper, or Shop Rite here!)

At least we have Walmart. I think EVERYONE has Walmart or Target now. (Ironic since, in the late '80s, The Weather Channel would run Walmart ads a lot around here and we had no idea what it was. The boom came around 1993 or 1994 here!)

Yea, we have SAM's here which despite my Walmart hatred is a necessary evil for me. I pick up my baby supplies, paper goods and office supplies there. 

We we used to have Hannaford but it closed probably 15 years ago and I've never seen another one since. We have a great local grocery chain here but they don't offer the online shopping so I've been using Harris Teeter as my grocer now. We did recently get a Publix but I wasn't thrilled considering all the hype they had been receiving and the nearest one is a 30 minute drive away so it's not worth the effort any way. 

We have so many dang grocery stores per square mile here it's ridiculous. I think because it's a tourist town there kind of has to be but dang! So many options! I will be glad when the kids are back in school and I only have one rugrat to contend with. I miss shopping at Aldi- especially their specialty aisle. I always find something cool. My last find before I started the online shopping was a magnetic screen door that keeps the bugs out of the house so you can keep your door open. $6.00 and it's the greatest thing ever! Something I never knew existed but solved a  major problem! 

(edited)
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm on the east coast (CT), and we have a number of Costco outlets, plus the BJ's and Sam's Clubs. Stop & Shop is (I think) largely in southern New England and New York/NJ; and I think they're in the midst of a merger that may make them related to Hannaford.  Years ago when I moved from CT to SC for a year, I recall seeing all the S&S logos at the Giant stores and realizing they were essentially, but not quite, the same stores because there always seem to be regional differences. 

Edited by harrie
7 minutes ago, harrie said:

I'm on the east coast (CT), and we have a number of Costco outlets, plus the BJ's and Sam's Clubs. Stop & Shop is (I think) largely in southern New England and New York/NJ; and I think they're in the midst of a merger that may make them related to Hannaford.  Years ago when I moved from CT to SC, I recall seeing all the S&S logos at the Giant stores and realizing they were essentially, but not quite, the same stores because there always seem to be regional differences. 

Ah, okay. I'm in Upstate NY, around the Capital District area. There was talk about Costco coming here a few years back, but it fell through, so as of now, it's still Sam's Club and/or BJ's Warehouse if folks want to do the warehouse/bulk shopping!.

Around this time of year, I buy most of my veggies at one of the local veggie farms in the area. They're fresh, good quality, and don't taste like sawdust. It is very pricey at peas being around $6/pound and carrots at $5 per bunch/potatoes at 2 lbs for $5, but as it gets to August and the produce gets bigger, things get cheaper. I used to go to one of the local farmer's markets regularly, but since the farms are a 10 minute drive, it's easier for me. There is one local market that started last year that is just a few blocks away and I go there occasionally.

I live in a duplex condo with a deck, so I container-grow things like herbs, peppers, lettuce, and this year, I have tried some cucumbers.

The main grocery chains are Sobeys/Safeway (Sobeys bought out Safeway last year), Overwaitea/Save On Foods, and Loblaws/Real Canadian Superstore.  Walmart is becoming a bigger player in the grocery market too. I also have a Costco that is about a 5-7 minute drive away. There are some produce independents and the Asian T&T Supermarket, which is a nightmare parking-wise.

• Love 1

Also a big fan of the farm stand/farmers' market for stuff I don't grow (or that I grew that didn't do well).  I love knowing and getting to know who grew the stuff I'm buying and how they grow it; and at places where I'm a regular, or even just chatty, lots of the farmers will throw in an extra ear of corn or tomato or something. 

Ramps.  Alex Guarnaschelli says they are her favorite veg.  I'm in the SF Bay Area and have never seen them, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Internet search indicates they're a northeastern seasonal thing.

Any advice?

5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Ramps.  Alex Guarnaschelli says they are her favorite veg.  I'm in the SF Bay Area and have never seen them, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Internet search indicates they're a northeastern seasonal thing.

Any advice?

I've seen them in Whole Foods when they are in season (eastern MD).

Any advice?

Not sure where you are in the bay area but I have gotten them at Berkeley Bowl and the Ferry Building. The season is very short mid-April to mid-May.

Thanks, biakbiak!  I'll try both in a coupla months.  Is parking at the Berkeley Bowl as horrendous as it used to be?  (Parking anywhere in Berkeley has always been a nightmare.)  Might be easier to BART it to the Ferry Building.

Ramps are a spring thing, and they taste kinda like if garlic and a spring onion got married. They grow wild around me and I've never seen them in stores! Ramps and Morel mushrooms are my area's "thing" and they have like festivals and stuff for them. 

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but apparently the Whole Paycheck meme is getting to Whole Foods' management and they're restructuring.

Link to Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/29/whole-foods-hard-times-retail

Not surprised to hear WF is in trouble.  The store near me in Phoenix is probably one marked to go.  I don't do a lot of shopping there but I need it!   It is the only place I can find dry packed shell fish and squid steaks.  Plus my Trader Joe's is tiny.  I do have Sprouts near and shop ther offen but they don't have some key items I buy any WFs.