Type keyword(s) to search

Vixen: Where From Here? (post-Season 1 speculation)

Kromm

A place to talk about plot specific speculations, as well as discussing the many possible options with the variety of platforms the character could move onto next.

The options as I see them:

1.) Translation to TV & Live Action - guest star on one or more of the existing live-action DCTU shows.

2.) Translation to TV & Live Action - starring on her own show (which could follow on after #1)

3.) Translation to TV, but remaining animated - 22 min. episodes, presumably.  The CW would NOT necessarily have to be the platform for this--although it would likely be a partner channel under the ownership of one of the CW owners (they're still 50/50 owned between CBS and WB--who each have tons of cable channels).

4.) Remaining purely "digital" in distribution, staying animated but expanding to longer episodes. There would be considerable differences though between a plan for lets say... 10 minute episodes and 22-30 minute ones. 45-60 minute episodes seem unlikely for a digital and animated platform though.  This also includes a possible larger episode order (9-13 eps), but certainly doesn't rely on it. 6 episode 22 minute shows exist, I'm sure.

5.) Remaining purely "digital" in distribution, staying animated, and with the same approximate episode lengths (3-7 minute range per) - this could still encompass a larger episode order next time

In terms of possible plot directions?  There's a lot possible of course. Speculate away....

• Love 2

Hulu ended up ordering three seasons of The Awesomes, another cartoon superhero show, which suggests that the first two seasons must have been successful, at least by Hulu's standards. Those episodes are all 22 minutes, streaming only as of now, although I'm assuming that they will end up on DVD at some point. So offering Vixen on a streaming-only service, at least in the U.S. - the CW app/CW Seed, Hulu or Netflix - might be another option.

• Love 2

I think the Vixen guest starring on Arrow or Flash is the most likely option. I'm not sure if they would bother to give her her own TV series -- live action or animated -- since, sadly, she is C-list at best. Next best scenario is the show continuing as a web/streaming series; with short seasons of 20-minute episodes.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

I don't see why we can't have  Options 1 and 4, at least for the forseeable future.  Keep the digital only series going, establish Mari's corner of the 'verse and her support, while making a once or twice guest gig over in live-action land.  For the live action viewers who don't do CW Seed, they'd have a reason to dip a toe in with the short S1. They might even stay and catch other Mari-centric stuff. The CW would hope that those viewers would also stick around for other CW Seed stuff, of course.  Legends of Tomorrow is a great possibility for a guest gig due to the timey-whimey-ness of LoT.

Option 2: I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I would love being wrong about that.

Option 3: While I would appreciate  a dedicated, animated half hour  for CW on Saturday morning, I think the networks have mostly given up on that idea. Maybe it could go the way of The Pinkertons, only it's a CW first-run syndicated show?

Option 5: If we absolutely can't swing any of the others, then I'm okay with this.  If Mari's getting good numbers, then a bigger episode allotment at this range of episode lengths is okay, just not my ideal. I know, no buck$, no Buck Rogers, but this is Christmas List wishing.

Looking at the CBS side of the CW, corporate sister, Smithsonian Channel, could get synergy with a special highlighting African myths and the true stories behind  Vixen's African lore.  ( Especially with American Gods supposedly coming to TV soonish, with Anansi having a part to play in that story too!)

There was a comment made by MG about being gratified about the reception of Vixen.  That's the closest I've heard to commentary about how good the numbers were in clicks and views.  I think based on that very unscientific measure, Vixen will certainly come back as something.  A live appearance seems like a no brainer if they can get the schedules down.  Not only the cache of expanding the universe, but adding diversity to their rather pale line up of heroes.   

I think anything else depends on what their hopes were in doing Vixen as an animated show.  Was it an audition for a regular full season?  Something they plan on dong more of specifically for Seed?  Revive it in a comic book form?  Also, how do we know if it really is considered a success? 

• Love 1

I thought I posted re: this last night, but I guess I didn't.  My gut feeling is Scenario 5 (more like this season), with a possibility of 1 (Megalyn guesting on one of the live-action shows) as well.  MG has implied that trying to fit a longer season into his existing duties would be relatively exhausting, and however well the show was received on CW Seed, I doubt they could pull in enough revenue there to support full-length episodes or hiring additional off-screen talent.  Plus, the show is actually owned by WB's Blue Ribbon Content group, which is specifically dedicated, AFAIK, to short-form online content (they did "Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles," for instance).

The one problematic point with bringing Vixen over to the live shows is exposure: I don't believe BRC has sold the series anywhere but CW Seed yet, and their site specifies that they purchase for US distribution only, so as far as legal channels go everyone in Canada and elsewhere is SOL right now.

I thought I posted re: this last night, but I guess I didn't.  My gut feeling is Scenario 5 (more like this season), with a possibility of 1 (Megalyn guesting on one of the live-action shows) as well.  MG has implied that trying to fit a longer season into his existing duties would be relatively exhausting, and however well the show was received on CW Seed, I doubt they could pull in enough revenue there to support full-length episodes or hiring additional off-screen talent.  Plus, the show is actually owned by WB's Blue Ribbon Content group, which is specifically dedicated, AFAIK, to short-form online content (they did "Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles," for instance).

"Owned" is a slightly squirrelly term though under this circumstance. They're responsible for the production, but the actual ownership is the parent corporation. The important thing is the intellectual property here--and its firmly part of the Arrowverse. That's less "ownership" (again, since it's all owned by the same parent), but really the only thing being done by that sub-division is the animation (which may be subcontracted out anyway).