Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: A Stray Howl

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

So, are they actually telling us what the deal was, this early on? That...is actually a pretty bold move. If Jane really is Taylor, and she was kidnapped and turned into an assassin or something, that sounds way more interesting than just figuring out who she is. 

I still find this show entertaining, and I like a lot of the beats that JA is giving Jane, beyond a blank slate. Its interesting that her first instinct is to help people, but her second instinct definitely (especially in a fight) seems to be to kill.

I like the main boss lady, the therapist, and the tech girl most now, after Jane. I am also warming up to the skeptical guy. Normally he would be the designated asshole of the show, but he is actually bringing up a few decent points. Granted, saying that the drone pilot guy when on his rampage because of them was pretty stupid (this was all too well planned to be just a spur of the moment thing), but he has a point about not blindly following tattoos.  

• Love 5

Things with this show IMO (i.e. lead characters, script and acting) are really off setting to me. The 2 lead characters to me are extremely bland. There seems and this is just my opinion, there seems to be some lacking periods in the script like the director doesn't know what to do next so they film whatever and don't edit out the pauses of speech. I've watched and to me it seems like Jane Doe is constantly giving head nods and pauses before delivering her lines and Sullivan is there to stare very concerned and manly like into a vast  space of nothingness before delivering his line. 

I'm not sure if this show is going to make it. All the episodes have left me wanting more. Also, when the pace of the show is off  IMO it seems like an eternity before that final scene rolls. I'm hoping the 9 episodes it just got extended will let them relax a bit and not have to try so hard to get picked up since they have the additional episode order. Maybe now they can take a moment to breath and while they're breathing let some of the air go into the scripts, direction, and acting of its characters.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode a lot, and I liked the fact that we got more of Weller's backstory.  I know that Sullivan Stapleton can be a good actor, and was disappointed last week at his sullen, dry performance.  But this week explained a lot more about who he is and why he has that edge.

I missed a line or two about Weller's background story on Taylor. Were they close childhood friends? Because for some reason I thought that Taylor was Weller's sister. The actors even have almost the same light greenish/hazel brown eyes, so I think that's why I think that. Same with Jordana Spiro's sister character attending Shaw's memorial.

I guess I don't see why Weller is still messed up about a childhood friend. Everyone has childhood friends that they never see again. However, knowing that her disappearance caused their family to fall apart makes total sense. But then why would Weller go to memorials for her? And why would Taylor/Jane still obsess, keep tabs on Weller as an adult? Someone had to know of Weller and Taylor's connection as children, but why him? She must have had other friends, people she knew later in life.

Could the bearded guy be Taylor's dad also? Or related to her somehow?

Guess the show can't be too bad if there are lots of mysteries/questions to ask about it.

I am glad that I'm not the only one that thought she was his little sister.  Agree about the green eyes.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how her name was Shaw if she was his sister and disappeared when she was 8.  Bearded guy seems like he is too young to be her dad.  She's supposedly around 33, and that guy didn't look old enough to be in his mid to late 50s.

The explosion was a drone strike, not a car bomb.

I missed that completely -- because I thought it was the dude that Jane Doe spotted down the street (the guy from her memories and who killed Chao in the hospital) that planted bombs on the cars and set off the explosions.   If it wasn't him, why else would he even be there ?  And did he know that a drone strike was incoming ?  Does that mean he was tied to Gibson ?

The weird part is that the missile that blew up Col. Powers car didn't cause much damage outside of the car, and certainly wouldn't have caused level of damage outside the 2nd drone pilot's house.  Col. Powers car was relatively intact -- tires and wheel assemblies still in place and the car was barely even on fire afterwards.

ETA:  I can't figure out why Jane didn't take her foot off the accelerator WELL AFTER she knocked Gibson's car into that dumpster.

And for good measure you could clearly see a silver lever below the SUV (under the license plate) helping to roll it (because it's missing afterwards when they show the bottom of the SUV).  Can't they clean this stuff up in post-production ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Things with this show IMO (i.e. lead characters, script and acting) are really off setting to me. The 2 lead characters to me are extremely bland. There seems and this is just my opinion, there seems to be some lacking periods in the script like the director doesn't know what to do next so they film whatever and don't edit out the pauses of speech. I've watched and to me it seems like Jane Doe is constantly giving head nods and pauses before delivering her lines and Sullivan is there to stare very concerned and manly like into a vast  space of nothingness before delivering his line.

It seems about right, everything is so bland, even the 2 leads can't save it and trying to make everyone super serious is not a good idea, there's lacking a good dynamic between them.  All we get are the same super serious characters with tortured past in the form of blatant flashbacks that beat us over the head each episode.  It's basically Blacklist all over again, only without the saving grace of James Spader who carried that show with their own problems.

• Love 2
I think that was supposed to be the safehouse, if it's only a couple days from the events of the pilot. In that case, Safehouse FAIL.

That seems par for the course for Television Safehouses. You just know if somebody ends up in a sfehouse, they are not going to be safe - and the agent out front is probably deadl. Agent Skeptical will probably argue that Jane killed him  ("We don't know anything about her! Why should we trust her? Nobody else knew about the safehouse!").

I like that we have some debate about Jane, I just wish it was from somebody with a reasonable argument. They decoded a name and went to have a friendly chat with a guy and Agent Skeptical is arguing that was the wrong thing to do? What were they supposed to do? Talking to a possible witness is something that law enforcement agents do all the time. They had no indication that Captain Crazy Pants was on a knife's edge and about to blow up his house. They had decoded one tattoo and it had led to a serious crime that was already in progress (the guy had already left the appartment and set his video to upload). They would be remiss to do nothing about the new information. They looked the guy up and he seemed legit. What other research would you have them do before going to ask him a few questions? That guy already had the scheme all plotted out and was suffering from extreme paranoia. Girl Guide's selling cookies would probably have set him off, but he was going to go off anyway. Weller was right that they made him accelerate his plan so he had less time to plan.

To top it all off, Super-Secret Drone Supervisor wouldn't have told them about the domestic drone program if  Captain Crazy Pants hadn't been blowing things up, so their investigation would have dried up (if interviewing subjects is really is something they never should have done) until he was ready to implement his plan or somebody used his driveway to turn around in.

The fight scene in the appartment was unnecessary. We'd already seen Jane kicking butt in a downstairs appartment last week. Did we have to see it two weeks in a row? ...Although, I'm curious about the girl who was in the appartment. It seemed to go like this....Jane spots dude and dude runs down stairs and girl is coming out of appartment and he runs in and Jane follows and the door closes and girl can't get back in. Where was the girl going and how did she plan to get back in later? I spent the entire fight wondering about that. Then during the interview, I wondered why a guy who had no reason to run, ran.

I think it is terrible that New York has only four law enforcement officers (or are the rest busy investigating murders at Hudson U?). A guy is threatening to blow up a major building and kill thousands of people and there are no other police officers or FBI agents or anyone to help them search buildings that are several stories high? How did Weller find him on the first try? He wasn't even on the top floor. He could have been on any floor.

• Love 3

There was a remark that 'drones are messy', which seemed odd to me. True there can be regrettable collateral damage, but drone strikes generally are more precise than any military tech that has gone before them. What seems messy is that they are, if we can go by this episode (which of course we cannot), easy to hack by means of the old threaten-the-family ploy!

Anyone remember The Event? Very first episode, bad guys 'force' a pilot to direct his plane containing hundreds of passengers to crash into where the president was staying, or 'we'll kill your family'. Same deal here. On the off chance that the bad guys would spare his family if he obeyed their demand.

Just once let's have a guy call their bluff - the lives of your loved ones are not automatically and necessarily worth more than the lives of potentially hundreds of others but it is treated by hack/lazy writers as if they are, and that the pilot/tech guy has no choice. It's an annoying cliché.

• Love 1

Anyone remember The Event? Very first episode, bad guys 'force' a pilot to direct his plane containing hundreds of passengers to crash into where the president was staying, or 'we'll kill your family'. Same deal here. On the off chance that the bad guys would spare his family if he obeyed their demand.

I do, once the show got rid of the ridiculous time jumps, it became more enjoyable.

There was a remark that 'drones are messy', which seemed odd to me.

Yeah, about that - why are they using drones to kill on US soil?  I thought the purpose of drones was to extend our ability to kill bad guys in places we normally can't go, like the tribal regions or over ISIS-held territory.  Why do we need them around here?  If they're dead-set on killing terrorists domestically, why not just hire a hit squad and make it look like an accident?  I know tv writers have a drone-boner right now but they're not the answer to all your tv extra-judicial killing needs. 

• Love 3
...she seems to have future information tattooed on her body.

I presume that at least one of them will be decoded to say "Tune in again when Blindspot returns next fall with all new action-packed episodes."

It occurred to me that, even though the drone is quoted as invisible to radar (not really possible, but nevermind), it should be visible to the naked eye.  If the Air Force was serious about bringing it down, why not put a few attack helicopters in the area and start searching?  Yes, there might be collateral damage from the crash, and there is a risk of exposing your program, but the alternative is losing 1000+ people in the attack on the building.  Very hard to explain that one. 

So Jane may or may not be his daughter.  Jane needs a dog and an inattentive husband to pull off the hat trick.

• Love 1

So when our hero's boss asked him how he was doing, it was in the context of a missing child as part of the case. There's a missing child trauma in his past, so she's checking in to make sure he's handling it. That's cool.

The worst possible answer he could give his boss in that scenario is "I think Jane Doe is the missing child from my past!" WTF. Might as well hand over your gun and badge right there and then, buddy. I thought the flashback to his childhood was unintentionally funny for that reason. Like, surely his boss is scheduling his leave while we're watching these kids climb the trees.

I know this show is bananas, but our hero thinks Jane Doe is the girl from his past because of a random scar on her neck that thousands of women could have! Oh and she's around the right age. I know I'm convinced.

And instead of assigning another agent as lead, as this guy is not seeing clearly due to an unhealthy obsession with something that happened 25 years ago, his boss is totally looking into his theory.

"Someone sent her back to me" was the red flag of crazy for me. I bet the reason he lives with his sister is because she's the only woman alive he can be sure is not Taylor Shaw. And like, all his exes are named Taylor...

• Love 2

I could buy them checking to see if Jane Doe is a girl that went missing if she's around the same age. Her case wasn't solved if they never found a body. Plus she was sent to him around the 25 year anniversary of that girl's disappearance. I think it would be worth checking up on. The fact that he's so sure it's her is worrying, but not enough to get him tossed out. 

I'm hoping it is her, because this would be the first show to do a major plot reveal in the first few eps when I thought the whole show would finding out who she is. 

• Love 4

Yeah, about that - why are they using drones to kill on US soil?  I thought the purpose of drones was to extend our ability to kill bad guys in places we normally can't go, like the tribal regions or over ISIS-held territory.  Why do we need them around here?  If they're dead-set on killing terrorists domestically, why not just hire a hit squad and make it look like an accident?

Yeah, plus if things go pear-shaped and the public finds out a black ops hit squad, while negative PR, wouldn't result in heads rolling all the way up to the Joint Chiefs of Staff like a secret American airspace drone project blowing up US citizens in Manhattan would. This is the kind of shit that would have Congress calling all the Big Air Force brass to Capitol Hill for official inquiries and the President handing out pink slips like door prizes.

• Love 1

I'm hoping it is her, because this would be the first show to do a major plot reveal in the first few eps when I thought the whole show would finding out who she is.

What happened between then and now is a lot more interesting to me than who she was originally anyway. I want to like this show, but I'm having trouble maintaining interest. Dispensing of the mystery over 'who?" early on and going after the why and where is more interesting to me. 

• Love 4

Well leave us not forget that also, by way of context, his named is tattooed on her back so the chances that she is connected to him in some way (in the past!*) are greater than er, you know, if his name wasn't tattooed on her back.  * As opposed to, 'in the future'.

• Love 4
This is the kind of shit that would have Congress calling all the Big Air Force brass to Capitol Hill for official inquiries and the President handing out pink slips like door prizes.

Which, upon reflection, absolutely would happen.  My (admittedly weak) understanding is that we don't even try to make drone strikes look like anything other than drone strikes, only make sure the drones are in such small pieces that the Chinese scientists who buy the charred fragments won't be able to make much of them.  Gil Grissom and his ilk show up to investigate the 'car bombing', you really think they'll find no evidence whatsoever of a high-speed projectile?  The Men in Black would have to step in and tell the local investigators 'you found no drone parts', but what are the chances that so sensational a story would never leak?  The quiet guys with the silenced guns are looking better by the minute, and the drones more and more ridiculous.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

What happened between then and now is a lot more interesting to me than who she was originally anyway. I want to like this show, but I'm having trouble maintaining interest. Dispensing of the mystery over 'who?" early on and going after the why and where is more interesting to me.

That would've been far more interesting.

I'd take that kind of product placement over characters randomly spewing out the specs and the fuel efficiency on the car while chasing down bad guys. 

But it is a kind of false advertising because unless the car is armoured, no car engine shall survive being sprayed with 5.56 bullets.

Why don't they contact the Navy Seals and see if she was a member of the Seals? That seems like step 1. I imagine in real life is she was a Seal, the Navy would show up and whisk her away to a military hospital.

There haven't been any female Navy SEALS (they said as much in the pilot episode). I doubt any inquiry would yield results other than the statement that there are no female Navy SEALS. If Jane was a SEAL, she was kept under wraps and unofficial.

• Love 1

Well, I was surprised about the amount of answers they already dished out. Pretty sure Jane is Taylor - it's a great twist that resolves a lot of issues people had with the pilot. And one tattoo unlocking the next one is answering the question 'how will they know which tattoo is going to be relevant next' - it does however not answer the question how they got the first one right.

Somebody skeptical on the team does help to keep the plot somewhat grounded - another plus in this episode.

Bearded guy showing up in the end was a good cliffhanger - show's not afraid to advance the plot.

Not sure we need to see Jane beating someone up or handling guns to know her muscle memory is working. One look at her immaculate eyeliner is conveying the very same message. I realize that fight scenes are in this show's DNA but some variation in context would be helpful.

PS: What an odd coincidence that the black ops drone program HQ was located in the same building as the FBI.

The FBI's New York Field Office occupies the 23rd floor of 26 Federal Plaza, the Jacob K. Javits Federal Office Building.  There are other federal agencies in the building, and it is not unreasonable to assume that some tenants (like, perhaps, a highly classified, incredibly illegal, drone program (which, by the way, it is absolutely insane to establish in an NYC high-rise)) would not be on the building directory.

Yeah, about that - why are they using drones to kill on US soil?  I thought the purpose of drones was to extend our ability to kill bad guys in places we normally can't go, like the tribal regions or over ISIS-held territory.  Why do we need them around here?  If they're dead-set on killing terrorists domestically, why not just hire a hit squad and make it look like an accident?  I know tv writers have a drone-boner right now but they're not the answer to all your tv extra-judicial killing needs. 

The very existence of a drone program guarantees certain types of power-mongers will want to re-purpose.  First you use it to target terrorists in the homeland, then you expand the definition of terrorist in the homeland.  Seriously, if anything like this had been available in the late sixties, there are lots of leaders who would have deployed drone strikes on war protestors without hesitation.

I presume that at least one of them will be decoded to say "Tune in again when Blindspot returns next fall with all new action-packed episodes."

It occurred to me that, even though the drone is quoted as invisible to radar (not really possible, but nevermind), it should be visible to the naked eye.  If the Air Force was serious about bringing it down, why not put a few attack helicopters in the area and start searching?  Yes, there might be collateral damage from the crash, and there is a risk of exposing your program, but the alternative is losing 1000+ people in the attack on the building.  Very hard to explain that one. 

So Jane may or may not be his daughter.  Jane needs a dog and an inattentive husband to pull off the hat trick.

I also don't buy that a small plane-shaped device flying loops over any part of the five boroughs for the better part of a day would fail to be noticed and reported by someone.  In 2009 NYC properly freaked out as a 747 flew scenic overflights - it was one of the Air Force One planes, and some genius thought photos of AF1 over NYC icons like the Statue of Liberty would make some really cool pix, without bothering to notify any official in NYC, or the media, that this would be happening.

Also, episode two is apparently starting and ending the day after episode one ends, so there hasn't been much elapsed time.

Finally, from somewhere I had the impression that this show is not set in 2015, but in the near future.  The Navy just opened up SEALs to female applicants, but BUD/S is effing hard.  The washout rate is something like 80%. I had a class about the SEALs taught by a retired SEAL last spring, and I've watched the Discovery series about BUD/S class 234.  So if this is the near future, there could be female SEALs on the teams; but I'm skeptical that they could erase one from the databases.

Edited by kassygreene
The very existence of a drone program guarantees certain types of power-mongers will want to re-purpose.

Sure, if they thought they could get away with it, but the nature of drone strikes makes it certain that they will be recognized as drone strikes.  To the best of my knowledge, we don't even try to hide the nature of our drone strikes in other countries - it's kinda our calling card and a warning not to fuck with us.  Somebody starts doing hits on American soil and it will get out, and there's pretty much no possibility of making it actually look like anything other than a missile, nor that it came from an ISIS drone because they don't have any.

• Love 1

Is there any particular significance to the episode title, "A Stray Howl"?  Is it a reference to something?  Was it something on the show?  I saw an episode about a guy trying to take revenge on the people that forced him to be a drone pilot.  I didn't see anything about stray dogs or wolves.

The FBI's New York Field Office occupies the 23rd floor of 26 Federal Plaza, the Jacob K. Javits Federal Office Building.  There are other federal agencies in the building, and it is not unreasonable to assume that some tenants (like, perhaps, a highly classified, incredibly illegal, drone program (which, by the way, it is absolutely insane to establish in an NYC high-rise)) would not be on the building directory.

And yes, there is every reason to put classified offices in a building chock full of other federal tenets. 7WTC held IRS, US Secret Service and other less public offices. [Think Langley VA...]

I also don't buy that a small plane-shaped device flying loops over any part of the five boroughs for the better part of a day would fail to be noticed and reported by someone.

Ha, I got news for you. Recently there was an exposé on a large fleet of FBI aircraft flying over major US cities. Plus, Faisal Shahzad, of the 2010 Times Square bombing attempt infamy, was reportedly tracked across NYC by a FBI-run drone.

Is there any particular significance to the episode title, "A Stray Howl"?  Is it a reference to something?  Was it something on the show?  I saw an episode about a guy trying to take revenge on the people that forced him to be a drone pilot.  I didn't see anything about stray dogs or wolves.

It's an anagram of "Taylor Shaw." If there's any futher significance, I have no idea.

• Love 10

Are they gonna start lasering the tats off once they've used them. Like the chinese writing. They have it all filmed and catalogued, so they can start the removal process.  Especially the name on the back and the and awful neck thing.

• Love 1

Thanks for the info about the building. I wasn't implying that it was weird that the drone strike program was situated there. My point was that we now have three tattoos that are related to the FBI itself (Weller's name, the case-file for Baptiste and now one informing them about the drone strike program in the same building). It could be mere coincidence or a theme meaning the conspiracy behind Jane has close ties to the FBI.

Shaky Cam is still here. Ugh.

I must have been too nauseated by shaky-cam to get this

Thank you for mentioning this. Is the editing the same as in the pilot too? That's all I need to drop the show, and I have very little motivation to actually watch the episode to check.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 2

Ha, I got news for you. Recently there was an exposé on a large fleet of FBI aircraft flying over major US cities. Plus, Faisal Shahzad, of the 2010 Times Square bombing attempt infamy, was reportedly tracked across NYC by a FBI-run drone.

14 Int. routinely followed people using a helicopter which, at 7,000 meters altitude was invisible to the naked eye.

There haven't been any female Navy SEALS (they said as much in the pilot episode). I doubt any inquiry would yield results other than the statement that there are no female Navy SEALS. If Jane was a SEAL, she was kept under wraps and unofficial.

You don't think the Navy would be interested in their unofficial female Navy Seal. Even if they denied knowing her they would come and get her if she were theirs, unofficially of  course. Also Seals aren't secret. They are always talking about how awesome they are. A female Seal would've been a big deal and crazy congressman would want to see her training records.

• Love 2

Enough already! She's not a damn Seal. It's is not taking place in the near? future.  As of yet, there is nothing redeeming about this rewrite (bad) of blacklist. It's just more blech nbc formulaic pap. The boss is a tough black female, the leads are a wonder woman and a conflicted millenial male(?), ie: the 5 o"clock shadow fake beard. Plus another goddamned wig!

I see a state of affairs ending in the near future.. Maybe 1 season. But then, the following was renewed. I quit it with 3 episodes left in 1st season. recorded them, but never watched them.

Well, at least netflix has picked up Longmire.

• Love 1

Every time I read something about Jane being a Navy Seal I can't help but chuckle  The irony of the pilot leaking one week before two women graduated Army Ranger school and the ensuing media frenzy (and supportive statements from the other branches) over that -- it makes me wonder if the writers room did a massive round of face-palming and head-desking.

Edited by DEM

I see a state of affairs ending in the near future.. Maybe 1 season. But then, the following was renewed. I quit it with 3 episodes left in 1st season. recorded them, but never watched them.

What was renewed?  Not State of Affairs!  

Well, at least netflix has picked up Longmire.

Amen!

Oh, I'd be shocked if they weren't using drones for surveillance, even arming a few in case they want a quick-strike capability.  But this show implied they were using them as a covert, easily-denied assassination tool.  They are not that covert (they can be spotted), they're in no way easily-deniable, and as Bruinsfan points out, when word gets out heads will roll.

Edited by henripootel

Tech Girl (I promise to learn character names at some point - I'm pretty sure it's not Waitress in Avengers with an odd amount of screen time) was starting to wear on me. I know it's TV and you get exposition by these folks piece-mealing information, but EVERY TIME, it was

Tech Girl: "Here's an interesting tidbit" "

Agent: "Well that could easily be explained by..."

Tech Girl: "Ya-but, then there's this as well!!!!!"

Just spit it all out! Time is of the essence!

At any rate, the show on the whole is not great TV. But it's enjoyable and fun. I like the action on Jamie Alexander.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 2

Thank you for mentioning this. Is the editing the same as in the pilot too? That's all I need to drop the show, and I have very little motivation to actually watch the episode to check.

Yes, which made it more annoying to watch especially during the action scenes.

As of yet, there is nothing redeeming about this rewrite (bad) of blacklist. It's just more blech nbc formulaic pap. The boss is a tough black female, the leads are a wonder woman and a conflicted millenial male(?), ie: the 5 o"clock shadow fake beard. Plus another goddamned wig!

Sounds about right.

As for The Following, it only got worse from there and the last season was especially dull, all the more reason it mercifully got cancelled.

• Love 1

I missed a line or two about Weller's background story on Taylor. Were they close childhood friends? Because for some reason I thought that Taylor was Weller's sister. The actors even have almost the same light greenish/hazel brown eyes, so I think that's why I think that. Same with Jordana Spiro's sister character attending Shaw's memorial.

I guess I don't see why Weller is still messed up about a childhood friend. Everyone has childhood friends that they never see again. However, knowing that her disappearance caused their family to fall apart makes total sense. But then why would Weller go to memorials for her? And why would Taylor/Jane still obsess, keep tabs on Weller as an adult? Someone had to know of Weller and Taylor's connection as children, but why him? She must have had other friends, people she knew later in life.

Could the bearded guy be Taylor's dad also? Or related to her somehow?

Guess the show can't be too bad if there are lots of mysteries/questions to ask about it.

As i inderstand it, not only were they childhood friends but his father was the lead suspect in her disappearance and assumed murder. So he lost his friend and he spent years thinking his father was the culprit even though he was not convicted of the crime. As a result he cut off ties with his father which is why his sister is trying to get him to talk to his father before the father dies of cancer. She thinks that if Jane is Taylor it means he can forgive his father but he clearly thinks that the father might still be involved.

I'm amazed that they are willing to actually say who she is (if she is taylor) but equally surprised that they are letting her talk to bearded guy so soon. I guess the DNA will show if she is Taylor or if we are supposed to think Bearded Guy & Co. Placed the scar on her to make him think she is Taylor.

• Love 2