Type keyword(s) to search

American Pickers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

Unlike some of you, I'm not a fan of Danni D.  I find her annoying and insincere for some reason.  I suspect she's probably pretty cool IRL but her on air persona bugs me.  And Robbie is sort of dull afaic.  I mostly just think Mike & Frank make the show watchable.  

I waffle on whether I like Danielle or not.  Sometimes I don't mind her at all, and other times, I just want her to go away.

It's funny - when the show very first aired, I liked Frank and thought Mike was a jerk.  As time goes on, my opinion has flipped, and I prefer Mike more.  Frank is OK, but he's a bit whiny, and obnoxious.

I haven't  been watching lately because I'm tired of the hunt for motorcycles and parts.  I'd much rather see them picking antiques.......but not cars, motorcycles, bicycles or oil cans.   

• Love 2
Just now, rcc said:

Yes digging up that bike was stupid. The owner was obnoxious as well.

It was pointless.  It was in terrible condition.  And Mike was just giddy with excitement, while I was watching at home going "WHY???".

• Love 3
On 8/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, rcc said:

Frank was my favorite too but now it's Mike. I like Dave too. Frank thinks he's a lady's man. I think he's a selfish old bachelor.

Frank is ok in my book if only for the fact that he loves cats. I hope he adopted another one after his cat passed away. 

• Love 3

Just watched the Florida circus, side show collector episode. Ddd none of these men have the compulsion to say how horrific all those monkey racing cars were? When Mike showed the chains I wanted to cry and I thought for sure he would comment on the cruelty of these old fashioned and I'm sure still going on somewhere shows. I was very disappointed in the lack of compassion from the 2 pickers and the collector. 

• Love 1

I'm looking for info on an episode. I think they were in northern Colorado. Maybe Morrison. They were picking a wood shop or maybe a shop where they make hand painted signs. The owner of the shop was an artist who uses uv paint to paint large sculptural dioramas. I'm pretty sure at the end of the episode he let them into his home and Mike bought a table lamp. I think it was red fiberglass and looked like something art-deco or a kind of form sculpture. The guy had a pretty large modern/art table lamp collection. Thanks for the info. Also, the episode was not a recent one. Several years old. Thanks.

Edited by gh05twr1t3r
13 hours ago, gh05twr1t3r said:

I'm looking for info on an episode. I think they were in northern Colorado. Maybe Morrison. They were picking a wood shop or maybe a shop where they make hand painted signs. The owner of the shop was an artist who uses uv paint to paint large sculptural dioramas. I'm pretty sure at the end of the episode he let them into his home and Mike bought a table lamp. I think it was red fiberglass and looked like something art-deco or a kind of form sculpture. The guy had a pretty large modern/art table lamp collection. Thanks for the info. Also, the episode was not a recent one. Several years old. Thanks.

The episode was called "For A Few Dollars More".  Looks like it might have aired in 2014.

In Colorado, a fast-talking negotiator is determined to get top dollar for every last piece of her collection. Down the road, a local artist has a killer collection of atomic age lamps

Looks like the guy's name is Don Woodsmith:  https://www.steamboatpilot.com/explore-steamboat/locals-2013-don-and-lesley-woodsmith/

On 5/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, msrachelj said:

It  IS disrespectful. It is alarming and I don't see how this is ok or legal.

And it is morally wrong . She had no family anywhere to stop this. This woman's remains need to rest in peace.  I wish I had more info, I would write to the county offices , coroner, get that body out of that house. Those people should be ashamed. They should have turned over her remains years ago. Disgusting. 

I'm just guessing that maybe it's the same as other "mummies" that are permanently displayed and even travel to be exhibited.

I agree that it's disgusting and it doesn't seem right but it's legal and I guess that's all they care about.  🙄

• Love 1

So for Danielles 10 year anniversary, she does something nice for Mike instead of the other way around? Also, every time you her she is thin or thinnish or getting heavy or heavy and it seems all out of time. Are these shows not in order or does her weight fluctuate by 20lbs or more in a matter of weeks? What the heck? 

Mike is looking older, Frank lost a good bit of weight and is sleeved and also has a collar piece? What is his motivation I wonder after all this time? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Frank lost a good bit of weight and is sleeved and also has a collar piece? What is his motivation I wonder after all this time? 

Sounds like he's getting better at leveraging his D-list fame into creating a playboy lifestyle.

• LOL 4

So Frank is out recovering from back surgery. Isn't this going to put a damper on his carrying and moving heavy items when they resume picking together? 

The last show I watched, Danielle and Mike's brother went to some over the hill fan dancers house to buy items that belonged to Sally Rand. I did know who she was because I am interested in old filmography. But $15,000! What else did she get besides the molting fan, the shoes and the letters? Are there many people out there that would want this stuff? And how did her friend afford that house? Holy Shit, it was awesome. I bet she was selling it because she said everything was for sale. Guess it pays to take your clothes off. 

• Love 2

I thought the same thing. $15,000 seems like a lot for a small collection of items that would appeal to a very limited number of collectors.

On the other hand, Danielle Colby is a huge burlesque fan, collector, and performer herself. So I wondered if maybe she was so smitten by these things that she wanted them for herself.

• Love 3
On 3/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, msrachelj said:

So Frank is out recovering from back surgery. Isn't this going to put a damper on his carrying and moving heavy items when they resume picking together? 

Didn't Mike have a back problem early on? 

I remember Mike staying at the store and seeing a chiropractor a while back. Watching them climbing over junk and lifting heavy objects I'm not surprised.

• Love 1

We've been bingeing seasons 16-18 on Hulu. Sometimes Mike is so careless with people's stuff in his rush to climb around and dig precariously. Robbie is kind of a grump. That said, it does seem like most people are glad to have met the guys after the pick is over. I'm really sick of people who have loads of crap they haven't cared for and expect top dollar for it. Those are the most boring picks. 

• Love 3

I don't like people who haven't taken care of their crap either. Signs left out on the field, cars and parts, etc. I can see if they are displayed and cared for but some of these people are tedious with the haggling.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I'm really sick of people who have loads of crap they haven't cared for and expect top dollar for it. 

Yeah, if they think it's so valuable, why did they leave it under the tree in the back yard?

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Anyone still watching? 2 back to back just aired. Not my favorite subjects.  No mention of Frank.  

I haven't watched in a long time because I got sick of the endless motorcycle hunts.

I'm not sure what happened to Frank.  I saw a blurb about him quitting but I was at work and didn't read it.

• Love 2

I still watch.  I'm not sure what's happened to Frank either.  There are rumors and stories on the internet that he has health problems, but nothing real solid.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I still watch.  I'm not sure what's happened to Frank either.  There are rumors and stories on the internet that he has health problems, but nothing real solid.

I know he had back problems & surgery. I don’t like the brother. I think this show is past it’s prime. We all know Mike is a millionaire & it just feels so fake.  I can’t believe how many rich people are out there with all these toys. It just gets hard to see the antique & collectible hoarders & all that money spent on so much decoration when people & animals are suffering. I mean the people with homes & outbuildings stuffed full of stuff worth $$$$.  😔

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Mike is getting a divorce.  I don't know why this surprises me but it does.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/09/american-pickers-star-mike-wolfe-dating-leticia-cline-split-estranged-wife-divorce/

In addition to her reality TV background, Leticia's also appeared in "Playboy" and "Maxim" ... and once went on Howard Stern's radio show and rode his Sybian vibrator in the nude.

Well, there's this...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

An update on Frank from the man himself: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/american-pickers-star-frank-fritz-143428822.html

"I haven't talked to Mike in two years," Fritz told The Sun in an interview. "He knew my back was messed up, but he didn't call me up and ask how I was doing. That's just how it is."

That's strange and sad.

Well, that's more than a little disturbing.

Almost makes me want to stop watching.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 4

I always had a suspicion that Frank and Mike weren't the great childhood buddies that they claimed to be.  I think Frank is actually chummy with Robbie and that Mike is more of a friend-in-law.  Frank has mentioned that he is godfather to Robbie's kids.

• Love 2

I absolutely adored this show but I can't watch anymore.  It's not because of anything Mike did, other than become rich and famous.  Going out picking at this point is completely unbelievable and scripted.  It was fun when they needed the money, when things were out of their price range, and their hearts were still in it.

• Love 5
On 7/11/2021 at 5:46 AM, cynicat said:

Well, there's this...

What a classy broad😆Not surprised he’s getting divorced and he’s dating this well female. I was surprised to hear that he and Frank have not spoken in two years. I thought the reason Frank wasn’t on the show was that he was still recuperating.  Cannot stand his brother, Jersey Whatever his name is seems to be OK.

22 hours ago, rmontro said:

Well, that's more than a little disturbing.

Almost makes me want to stop watching.

Mike always struck me as a little shady & definitely phony. I have reservations about anyone in this field. I was ripped off myself. 

• Love 2

Seven or eight years ago, some friends and I were so excited to spot Mike, Frank and their crew having breakfast at a hotel we were visiting.  One of my friends had her son with her, he was probably around 8 at the time, and he was dying for a picture with them.  So we waited until they finished eating and were walking out, and my friend approached them with her son.  You'd think she asked them to stop, have an hour long conversation AND give her an Indian motorcycle lol.  They were both, to quote one of my favorite episodes of Designing Women, charm-free.  You can catch anyone on a bad day, I get it, but it was still a bummer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The only reason I have been watching this show for the last two seasons is to see if/when Frank gets back.  In my mind, the show is a duo - Mike and Frank.  I’ve always felt like Mike was a little too full of himself and that he had an interesting relationship with Danielle (I never liked all the “I love you” stuff on the phone calls and wondered what his wife thought about it).  I’ve scoured the internet for months to see if I could find any updates on Frank and all I ever saw were articles about his Crohn’s disease.  Now to find out this week that Frank hasn’t heard from Mike in two years!  I also heard about Mike’s divorce and taking up with the (ahem) “model,” and I now know all I need to know about the situation.  Mike Wolfe isn’t going to get any viewer numbers from my house anymore.  I cancelled the record schedule and I’m done.  It was getting boring without Frank anyway.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Now to find out this week that Frank hasn’t heard from Mike in two years!

I can't believe Mike didn't even call to say "I appreciate you".

• LOL 5
(edited)

Frank does come across a bit whiney, but Mike has come across as way too full of himself.  It has gotten worse since Frank ‘disappeared’.

With the news of his divorce, coming at the same time tho, I tend to be on Frank’s side of the story.

Funny thing is, when the show first started, I couldn’t stand Danielle.  Now I think she’s the most real out of them all, and has a unique charm all her own.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

Frank does come across a bit whiney, but Mike has come across as way too full of himself.  It has gotten worse since Frank ‘disappeared’.

Frank has always been my favorite, although yeah it's always clearly been Mike's show.  Mike would buy a $3000 motorcycle frame and $2000 for a gas pump or whatever.  Meanwhile, Franks segment would be "I'll give you $80 for this tin toy".  Maybe it's just I can't help but like the underdog.

I agree with you on Danielle, I didn't like her at first either (couldn't stand her tats).  But she has grown on me also.

• Love 3

Danielle has some thoughts on Frank's absence:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-pickers-star-danielle-colby-140436438.html

"I’m truly saddened for the loss of Frank on the show," Colby shared. "I’m incredibly sad for his struggles. I have personally watched everything over the last decade. I have many thoughts but won’t speak them as they are only my thoughts, not gospel. I wish things could have been different but we must be accountable for our actions when we cause instability or pain and suffering to others."

"Frank caused so much pain for himself that it has been hard to watch," Colby continued. "I truly hope Frank receives all the help he needs to become well after years of being unwell. It is not my place to speak Ill of someone who needs help so I will keep my comments uplifting. I’m sending love to everyone."

Eventually we're probably going to hear some ugly details about all this....

Edited by WritinMan
Typo!
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Danielle has some thoughts on Franks's absence:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-pickers-star-danielle-colby-140436438.html

Eventually we're probably going to hear some ugly details about all this....

I really hate when people allude to some thing and then don’t explain exactly what it is. I mean she gave a pretty detailed statement there and without saying it it sounds like he had problems with alcohol or drugs and there were probably issues between all of them. By saying it’s not your place to speak ill of someone, you just did  

just give an interview then, just come clean,  don’t leave us to all wonder and speculate or just keep your mouth shut

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I really hate when people allude to some thing and then don’t explain exactly what it is. I mean she gave a pretty detailed statement there and without saying it it sounds like he had problems with alcohol or drugs and there were probably issues between all of them. By saying it’s not your place to speak ill of someone, you just did  

Yeah, exactly.  It's like she feigned some "backhanded concern".  Sounds more like she's trying to protect Mike and the show than Frank.  Seems strange because we've never seen a hint of any issues with Frank, or of him causing instability, pain, or suffering to others.  I agree, it sounds like she is alluding to alcohol or drug issues.  I can't say I ever thought he looked intoxicated onscreen.  Some people get dependent on painkillers when they have back problems, but it sounds more long term than that.  Danielle just opened up more questions than answers.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, exactly.  It's like she feigned some "backhanded concern".  Sounds more like she's trying to protect Mike and the show than Frank.  Seems strange because we've never seen a hint of any issues with Frank, or of him causing instability, pain, or suffering to others.  I agree, it sounds like she is alluding to alcohol or drug issues.  I can't say I ever thought he looked intoxicated onscreen.  Some people get dependent on painkillers when they have back problems, but it sounds more long term than that.  Danielle just opened up more questions than answers.

YES! I’m really hate watching the show at this point. What a bunch of unlikable people. 
I had a soft spot for Frank because of his love of cats. 

• Love 3

Danielle and her "best friend" Mike are just trying to keep the show going. Of course she will side with Mike. Apparently Frank no longer drinks and has lost a lot of weight after back surgery. I don't know if I will watch anymore. Too much CYA for me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rcc said:

I don't know if I will watch anymore. 

That's pretty much the way I feel about it.  The last couple of episodes I watched I didn't pay any attention to anyway, it was just on.  It's not like I need to watch more TV.

Here are Mike Wolfe's comments quoted from the article chediavolo linked to:

"I have known Frank for as long as I can remember, he’s been like a brother to me," Wolfe wrote. "The journey that Frank, Dani and I started back in 2009, like all of life, has come with its highs and lows, blessings and challenges, but it has also been the most rewarding."

"The support that you all have given us has been a constant reminder of what the show’s message has always been; thru these places, people, and things we all have a common thread," he shared. We’re here to not only take care of the past, but also each other. I will miss Frank, just like all of you, and I pray for the very best and all good things for him on the next part of his journey."

He confirmed Frank has left the show.  Sounds like a "best of luck in your future endeavors" type of message.  Maybe he's being sincere (hard to doubt someone who is dating a model), but it still doesn't explain why he hasn't talked to Frank in two years.

I guess it shouldn't be so surprising.  Famous entertainment duos have a long history of breaking up, or of being miserable working together, from Martin and Lewis to Simon and Garfunkel.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

That's pretty much the way I feel about it.  The last couple of episodes I watched I didn't pay any attention to anyway, it was just on.  It's not like I need to watch more TV.

Here are Mike Wolfe's comments quoted from the article chediavolo linked to:

"I have known Frank for as long as I can remember, he’s been like a brother to me," Wolfe wrote. "The journey that Frank, Dani and I started back in 2009, like all of life, has come with its highs and lows, blessings and challenges, but it has also been the most rewarding."

"The support that you all have given us has been a constant reminder of what the show’s message has always been; thru these places, people, and things we all have a common thread," he shared. We’re here to not only take care of the past, but also each other. I will miss Frank, just like all of you, and I pray for the very best and all good things for him on the next part of his journey."

He confirmed Frank has left the show.  Sounds like a "best of luck in your future endeavors" type of message.  Maybe he's being sincere (hard to doubt someone who is dating a model), but it still doesn't explain why he hasn't talked to Frank in two years.

I guess it shouldn't be so surprising.  Famous entertainment duos have a long history of breaking up, or of being miserable working together, from Martin and Lewis to Simon and Garfunkel.

Wasn’t my link. But yes, sounds like they abandoned someone with an addiction.   I’d love to know the whole story. But Mike & Danielle come across as very phony.  I can’t even look at Mike without seeing his girlfriend naked performing a sex act on the Howard Stern show, as was reported in a separate article. 🤢Stop talking about how much you love  your daughter when you hang with such role models. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Wasn’t my link. But yes, sounds like they abandoned someone with an addiction. 

Oops, sorry, it was WritinMan's link.  Wanted to give proper credit for finding it.

I'm skeptical as to how much of a problem this was with Frank.  It seems to be coming out of left field, I don't recall hearing about any sort of problem before.  I'm not saying there wasn't a problem, but I'm skeptical.  Was Mike using it as an excuse to replace him with his brother?  Maybe exaggerating it?  Of course, we have no way of knowing the real truth.

• Love 2