Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Gun To Your Head

I kind of never want to see the finished movie just because Jason is such an asshole, and I have no desire to support him or his career. What a petulant brat. I've been in these types of situations before, and I've always wanted one person to stand up to the brat and shut them down. Unequivocally.

I can't say it's not a bit entertaining to watch though.

• Love 9

I wish Effie could have seen that Farrelly was well meaning and used him to block Mann, but lord did I get how she felt. On the conference call you can tell Farrelly thinks it's Production's fault that they don't have a location, but for reasons I can't understand, Effie and Marc don't even hint that it's Mann. Clearly Mann thinks Effie doesn't have any power, because no one above her backed her or shut him down.

• Love 4

Omg Effie' s fall and reaction was everything!

I haven't rewatched season 3 because it being on Bravo it's not on demand so I don't remember if Gulager would qualify, but so far PG has managed to cast four directors I wanted to smack the shit out of.

I want to know what Pete thought of being sort of on the other side of the process.

I get where Effie is coming from and I get where Farrelly is coming from and the roles should have been ironed out because this is not a typical indie movie it's a contest winner where there have been past issues with the winner not having decent support from a creative experienced director so they tried to rectify it not realizing the fact that they choose manipulative uncompromising douches who try everything to get their way is the real problem.

For instance if Effie and Marc had utilized the fact that they have a mentor and brought him in on the first digital vs. film demo he could have talked to Mann as a director who was reluctant to use it but saw all these different options rather than have Mann try to out film school everyone present to the point Effie even said she had no idea what he was talking about. Or if they had pipped up and mentioned that Jason had already nixxed a ton of places, Farelley would probably have been on their side. Basically, Marc who said he brought Farrelly in had kept him more in the loop the process could have been easier for production. Not saying he would have convinced Mann but he would have run out of people to run to and try to play against each other.

Yet I understand Effies reaction to the fact that no one respects her authority.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I found Effie incredibly annoying. Her entire agenda seems "diversity" but not much, it is more focused on bringing more of her background. I belong to a minirity group as well and I didn't really see diversity. I guess she did bring in people she has worked with, but still.

She just seemed so dismissive towards Farrelly. I get that in a workplace you have to be territorial from the very beginning else it could mess things up, but she dismissed him outright even though he was just trying to help. Honestly I'm an industry where relationships are everything, she seems to not be a people's person. I don't see how Jason is being hard. Isn't that what Directors do? Isn't that what makes the team work harder? He doesn't want to compromise on his artistic vision, what is wrong with that. He was cool with all the people Effie brought in but didn't want to compromise on the look of the film itself.

• Love 3
Her entire agenda seems "diversity"

What on this show has indicated that her whole agenda seems "diversity?"  She brought it up in the discussion about who the best director would be in the pilot.  But since then?  Her agenda has pretty much been getting this movie done on budget and on time. 

I don't see how Jason is being hard. Isn't that what Directors do? Isn't that what makes the team work harder? He doesn't want to compromise on his artistic vision, what is wrong with that. He was cool with all the people Effie brought in but didn't want to compromise on the look of the film itself.

Here's what Jason did wrong in this episode---he rejected every potential filming location.  He went around Effie's "no" in regards to film.  The reason Effie was so annoyed by Peter's phone call is that Peter told her he was taking Jason in to look at digital vs. film the next day but that's just wasting time.  Effie already did that with him.  We saw it in the last episode. 

The problem with not compromising on his 'artistic vision' is that he has a budget.  And he has deadlines.  Directors make artistic compromises all the time.  He seriously took issue with some of the locations even though they looked like what he wanted because they weren't actually built in the time period they were inspired by. Based on the way the characters are dressing, this is not a period/1800s period.  A modern kitchen won't take anyone out of the fantasy he's trying to create.

I would really love to know the story of how Jason Mann got chosen.  Because....let's see, Ed Weeks (who I love) was chosen to be the other lead opposite the actor who starred in Jason's short film and apparently will reprising his role.  And hey, look, they had a prior working relationship.  And in another convenient coincidence, Jennifer Todd (President of Matt and Ben's production company) is married to Chris Messina who is Ed's co-star on The Mindy Project. I know that artistic world is small but that's just a bit much.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9

She brought it up in the discussion about who the best director would be in the pilot. But since then? Her agenda has pretty much been getting this movie done on budget and on time.

I don't think it's her agenda and I don't think that in the film industry in which behind the scenes also lacks for racial and gender diversity that making it a point when hiring people to make it one of many factors when deciding between qualified candidates is wrong, in fact it should be applauded but she did mention it this episode when she was talking about the team she assembled. But don't worry white men she hired plenty of you as well!

I did love that Effie called The Mindy Project a huge network show when it's ratings were in the dumpster and was about to be cancelled. Coincidentally enough the office building where they go to HBO meetings also houses Hulu which than picked up the Mindy Project!

Edited because the poster did

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

It seemed like all Effie heard from Peter was that he was going to look at film with Jason, and it immediately pissed her off. I don't know if she, at first, understood he was actually trying to persuade Jason to use digital. And then once she got mad, it all went downhill from there. 

• Love 2

I get where Effie was coming from- it seemed to be partially about her frustration with Mann, but also I've been in that situation where someone goes over your head and it is a problem- it does undermine your role. It would have been nice if Farrelly had thought to include her or give her a heads up *before* meeting with Mann, for that reason (and really, Farrelly with all of his experience should have understood that), and I think she probably could have just said that except she was probably fed up by then.

• Love 4

I was so totally on Team Effie until the last ten minutes or so. But as hard as I'm trying, I just can't see her side of that argument. Yes, she already tried to get Jason on board with digital. And you know what? She failed. As stubborn and punchable as Jason was being, it's still her job to make him straighten up and fly right, and if he's still harping on about shooting film after all that, then she hasn't done her job. And I don't see how Peter Farrelly offering to do some one-on-one coaxing with Jason, based on his own experiences, is anything but a spot-on performance of Farrelly's job description as mentor/EP. It's not like he's scheduling production meetings behind her back, or approving budget line items. He's just trying to help get the director's mind right, as Coach Taylor would say.

Exactly. I think her resentment re: the first conference call with Farrelly about locations affected her judgment on the second call. After the first call, I can see why she felt there were too many cooks in the kitchen, because the things Farrelly said undermined her goal of Jason picking one of the LA locations. But on the second call, Farrelly was on her side, and had the shared goal of convincing Jason to use digital. (Although she probably didn't even pick up on that since she and Marc were talking over him and not even listening). Plus, he was doing exactly what he was asked to do - mentoring a young director. I think she was really out of line in how she handled it. (That being said, isn't Peter Farrelly being a bit of a baby to quit the very next day? I can see him quitting if his advice was being rebuffed time after time, but after one bad phone call?)

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 4

I have a theory of why Farrelly called Effie before the digital/film meeting he had set up on Saturday to explain what he was doing and invite them if he wanted even though it appears he and Effie don't check in and Farrelly specifically told Mann to "bring Ef, she is going to have concerns and we could use a second opinion." Then after the phone call Mann said he wasn't going to tell her until Saturday (ie it would be too late for her to come). Pete Jones was in the room for the entire exchange, given he has been working with the Farrelly Brothers for several years now (it in addition to his OF history is why he was brought in), I bet Jones called F and told him Effie not might be informed. Being the different alliances and politics either Pete could have been vague to not mess up the Jones/Mann relationship that still needs to finish the script. But given Farrelly left Mann in charge of inviting her and Effie seemed shocked Farrelly was calling I bet Jones said something to him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

(That being said, isn't Peter Farrelly being a bit of a baby to quit the very next day? I can see him quitting if his advice was being rebuffed time after time, but after one bad phone call?)

I think Peter Farrelly was looking for a way to disengage from this whole situation with Jason Mann, and saw an opportunity. After all, Farrelly was the one who was actually offended by Jason's pushy and non-humble response to winning, and certainly as we've seen, Jason's a total pain in the a** to work with- this fight with Effie was the perfect excuse to get away from a difficult production and mentoring a director he didn't like.

Or he's a total spoiled baby who packed up his toys as soon as he was challenged!

Totally agree with you that Effie's negative reaction to the first phone call completely blocked her ability to really listen to what Farrelly was saying in the second phone call- he was trying to help production by getting Jason to be onboard with film, rather than forced into it, but Effie was still mad at his earlier meddling (when he wasn't acting as a mentor for Jason, but questioning producer decisions like tax breaks and filming locations) and so took what he was doing and saying completely wrong. She was right in the first phone call, but wrong in the second.

Edited by ctkat1
  • Love 1

Its pretty obvious that this show is more about the reality show drama angle instead of a realistic look of how typical movies get made, but I guess I'm alright with that because its more entertaining this way haha. 

So Jason is obviously a spoiled brat, just his talk today about how his existence as a filmmaker to this point has been pretty much to live and breathe the art and pretty much do what he has wanted to do, is so far from directors that are fighting to get a chance in hollywood because they are looking for investors and backers to get films done that they don't have the resources to get done themselves.  That lack of appreciation for his situation, is annoying, yet highly entertaining!

He of course was teamed up with Effie, who for all her noble intentions, including fighting for diversity in the industry, constantly walks around with a chip on her shoulder daring others to knock it off.  She is so intent on being in charge and having her authority respected, that she creates battles where others with better people skills would step back and try to resolve the situations amicably. 

Like on this call with Farrelly, she muted the phone and started cursing the situation before she even listened to what he was really trying to say.  If she would have listened she would have been able to see him, and work with him as an ally, instead of the enemy she made him out to be.  She is dismissive in her "own lane" and "duly noted" comments in a way that honestly someone with her resume really shouldn't feel entitled to be.  Yes, she has produced 17 movies as she says, but has any of those movies achieved the sort of success any of Farrelly's have?  She is one of those people that seems more intent on getting her way and being in charge instead of trying to find the best way of doing something.  I'm sure she isn't helping herself move onto bigger pictures by burning bridges with someone like Farrelly, and I'm sure he is not the first one she has pulled a power trip on. 

As far as Farrelly, I don't see how anyone can call him a baby for quitting, instead I understand his point of view pretty clearly; This project isn't that big of a deal to him, its almost more of a favor that he was probably participating in the first place.  Why should he waste him time trying to mentor a director he didn't personally like in the first place while having to walk on eggshells with a producer that can't appreciate him and seems to think he should answer to her?  He doesn't need this project for exposure, so why would he waste time on the drama?

I'm interested in seeing how this series plays out, but I honestly have no interest in the movie that is being created. 

• Love 7

(when he wasn't acting as a mentor for Jason, but questioning producer decisions like tax breaks and filming locations) and so took what he was doing and saying completely wrong. She was right in the first phone call, but wrong in the second.

Except in the first phone call when she explained the rational for shooting in LA he said he hadn't known it had already been ruled out, understood the reasons and they could find a workable location in LA. The fact that no one even with Jason not present choose to inform him as a mentor and EP that Jason had vetoed so many places is what is wrong. The lack of communication between the gazillion cooks is what's allowing Mann to cause this tension.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I have a theory of why Farrelly called Effie before the digital/film meeting he had set up on Saturday to explain what he was doing and invite them if he wanted even though it appears he and Effie don't check in and Farrelly specifically told Mann to "bring Ef, she is going to have concerns and we could use a second opinion." Then after the phone call Mann said he wasn't going to tell her until Saturday (ie it would be too late for her to come). Pete Jones was in the room for the entire exchange, given he has been working with the Farrelly Brothers for several years now (it in addition to his OF history is why he was brought in), I bet Jones called F and told him Effie not might be informed. Being the different alliances and politics either Pete could have been vague to not mess up the Jones/Mann relationship that still needs to finish the script. But given Farrelly left Mann in charge of inviting her and Effie seemed shocked Farrelly was calling I bet Jones said something to him.

I agree with this also.  Farrelly didn't have to call Effie and tell her his plans, but he called to keep her in the loop.  I don't think at any point he needed to get permission especially since most of his mentoring with Jason was just between the two of them, but it was obvious he wanted her to be in the know.  So for his attempt to be the good guy, he got ripped by a producer with a lot weaker resume and a chip on her shoulder.  I don't blame him for quitting at all. 

• Love 7
So Jason is obviously a spoiled brat, just his talk today about how his existence as a filmmaker to this point has been pretty much to live and breathe the art and pretty much do what he has wanted to do

I wonder if he's a RICH spoiled brat.  My son graduated from film school in L.A. and worked "in the industry," and most of his classmates/coworkers/friends struggled for every penny...lived in crappy places and took almost ANY filmmaking job offered...gladly.  Jason seems to have called the shots all his life.  Wonder what his story is.

• Love 3
A modern kitchen won't take anyone out of the fantasy he's trying to create.

Yeah, like every person looking at homes on HGTV (no matter the age, income, or previous ownership) thinks every kitchen they see is "oudated" and has to be gutted and replaced immediately.  Why can't THAT be the storyline in the period home with an updated kitchen, Jason???  Just walk by the kitchen and mention how much the remodeling cost.  End of problem.

• Love 1
Like on this call with Farrelly, she muted the phone and started cursing the situation before she even listened to what he was really trying to say.  If she would have listened she would have been able to see him, and work with him as an ally, instead of the enemy she made him out to be.  She is dismissive in her "own lane" and "duly noted" comments in a way that honestly someone with her resume really shouldn't feel entitled to be.  Yes, she has produced 17 movies as she says, but has any of those movies achieved the sort of success any of Farrelly's have? 

Of course she should feel entitled to set the boundaries here regardless of how much success Peter has had because that's her job on this film. She may not have made blockbusters but she does know how to make a good movie on a low budget.  Dear White People was well reviewed and barely had a budget.  That's actually relevant job experience. Farrelly's lowest budget was twice what Mann has and was that amount 15 years ago.

Effie's in charge of the day-to-day.  Peter Farrelly is not doing that.  And he's not the money man.  He seems to be doing this is as a favor to mentor the director into making a good comedy film out of the original script.

And I don't begrudge him for wanting to walk away.  He blames Effie for the drama but he doesn't realize how much of it comes from Mann because Mann isn't telling him that he's rehashing fights he has had with Effie.  (I think the recappers nod that Jason went to 'daddy' when 'mommy' said no was perfect.) And his involvement isn't that powerful in this film as he's not in charge of the day-to-day or the money.  The film likely wouldn't miss his presence or he it all that much. 

Effie definitely could have been more open to explaining why she was so turned off by his interference but she had every right to ask him to not get involved in production decisions. 

• Love 6

Just because an L.A. mansion is fabulous doesn't mean it has the look of an old East Coast property. But they were trying to locate one whose owners were willing to offer it on short notice, within their budget, so I also understood the availability of only three.

While I've been in Effie's shoes many, many times and I sympathize - too many cooks, no time and money, and the soul-killing diversity politics - I know that she's never going to win some of these battles until she has more power and control. She does indeed have a defensive chip on her shoulder, with justification, but she has to learn to control her emotions. Repeating "do they want to see me turn," as a warning that she's going to lose her temper or something, is not an impressive managerial stance. She's coming across as slightly unhinged, which undermines the very thing she's trying to do.

If this weren't a TV show, would this project already have been shelved?

• Love 2

I wonder if he's a RICH spoiled brat.  My son graduated from film school in L.A. and worked "in the industry," and most of his classmates/coworkers/friends struggled for every penny...lived in crappy places and took almost ANY filmmaking job offered...gladly.  Jason seems to have called the shots all his life.  Wonder what his story is.

As soon as I saw his NYC apartment, I knew he was a rich spoiled brat.  Nobody can spend "the last 11 years living and breathing the art of film" and afford that apartment without supportive parents.  He said in the same paragraph that he had incredibly supportive parents.  This guy is just awful and seriously manipulative.  At first I thought they must have seen some crazy savant like talent in his short, but now I'm beginning to think that they cast him for drama on the show (Projectn Greenlight), rather than him actually being the best director for a broad comedy Farrelly Bros script. 

• Love 3

I kind of feel like as the only producer involved here who's ever made an independent film that I know of - Good Will Hunting was a studio product which cost $10 million twenty years ago, and filmed in rooms and back streets - Effie needs to be allowed to do what they hired her for. The fact that the Big Hollywood Stars (and I'm including Farrelly in this) who are serving as the other producers are behaving as if this is a conflict between the director's auteurist vision and Effie's bean counting is ridiculous.

Jason's holding up decisions which should have already been made to fight for film - something Matt Damon even acknowledges he should let go, although he doesn't appear to have said that to Jason. The mansion only looks period? JHC, dude, Citizen Kane was also filmed on a set. Rosebud was a brand new sled. And, more to the point, you're filming a TV movie.

I understand that this is about making a season of Project Greenlight, not Jason's crappy TV movie, and that the choice of Jason was clearly dictated by something other than his attitude, or the quality of his audition film. But Effie, to her credit, is attempting to address it as though making a film is the goal of this process, and I think less of the people involved for not doing anything to shut him down instead of asking her to deal with his arrant bullshit on camera.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7
Why can't THAT be the storyline in the period home with an updated kitchen, Jason??? Just walk by the kitchen and mention how much the remodeling cost. End of problem.

I was waiting for someone to tell him it wasn't about whether or not he liked any of the three, it was about how he was going to make one of them work for him, get it booked, and get it done. "These are your options. Pick one."

Because that's how you deal with petulant pre-schoolers. Edited by Broken Ox
  • Love 12

The fact that no one even with Jason not present choose to inform him as a mentor and EP that Jason had vetoed so many places is what is wrong. The lack of communication between the gazillion cooks is what's allowing Mann to cause this tension.

Same thing with her having a the digital v. film sit down at eFilm. I mean it appears that's Marc's role, and I really like him, but I it seems like he has to be that bridge between the mentor and the line producer. After the first conflict over the locations, he knew Effie was hot about it , and he still didn't jump on it and make sure Effie/Peter were both on the same page communication wise, I've done this, you've done that. 

I'm still Team Effie because I think she's more vested in the outcome than "mentor" Peter Farrelly. She's got more on the line in terms of her professional reputation, so it makes sense she's more ticked off, when her authority is undermined and doubted. Len seems to love her too, my favorite bit of the episode was his knowing Duly Noted meant fuck you. Heheh.

Wonder what his story is.

I thought it was weird when his whole pitch for his script was both that he'd been around The Leisure Class his whole life, but was "outside" it, and he was that outsider perspective. Like I mean sure, you can have rich friends you're whole life w/o being rich yourself, but if you've been in that world you're whole life (on scholarships?) than are you really the outsider? I have feeling he's someone who is upper middle class and thinks because he's not actually British royalty or Matt Damon he's poor. 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 7

I'm not on team Effie because there is no Team anything. The only one of straight up wrong here is Jason. Peter and Effie were both doing their jobs. But, how you handle these butt heads situations in the key. I don't appreciate the way Effie handle them. I don't care if she's black or white. I don't care if she's a man or woman. What I don't like is her being on the defense at all turns. As rough as I'm sure it can be for her in her position, no one is out here trying to undermine or disrespect her. Also, bottom line, these issues with Jason in terms of location and film/digital were not being fixed by her. Having Peter come in with a different way of voicing the project and trying to find the outcome they all want is not disrespectful to anyone. And he's trying to get what they all want. All she was worried about is a chain of command thing when they don't have for any of this BS. They are already behind schedule. See what Peter can do. Peter and man already have a different connection after working on the script and the fact that they both direct. Let the guy work. It could help everyone out in the long run.

• Love 3

i wonder how much of that "drama" was manufactured, in retrospect. I understand Effie being annoyed but it almost went in a perfect arc--there was the issue of digital vs film and the locations, the first phone call where she says she'll be mad if these things keep happening and then the second call where those things do happen and she gets pissed off. Then Farrelly "quits".  

Edited by Paws
  • Love 2

While I've been in Effie's shoes many, many times and I sympathize - too many cooks, no time and money, and the soul-killing diversity politics - I know that she's never going to win some of these battles until she has more power and control. She does indeed have a defensive chip on her shoulder, with justification, but she has to learn to control her emotions. Repeating "do they want to see me turn," as a warning that she's going to lose her temper or something, is not an impressive managerial stance. She's coming across as slightly unhinged, which undermines the very thing she's trying to do.

I've been tuning in to watch Effie because she fascinates me, but this week I was puzzled. I completely understand where she's coming from and that she felt as if her position was being undermined, but I didn't see that as being Farrelly's fault as much as it was Jason's. He's trying to get people mad at one another and he's succeeding.

Effie's got the lowkey side to her, which we saw when she tripped and laughed off that incident. However, she became a little too defensive in that discussion with Peter. They talked over each other and it felt uncomfortable. I felt as if she jumped the gun when what I heard was that Peter was trying to convince Jason to use digital, which was why he was taking him to the second lab. She and Marc were arguing as you could heard Peter talk about how grain could be added to the digital to make it look like film.

The whole thing was weird. Jason's just off doing his thing. Walking away from the drama he creates. At one point, even Pete Jones looks at the camera and in his face you could see "Whoa. I'm staying out of this one."

When people compare resumes and declare that Effie should be listening to Pete in that argument, they forget that <br />1) much of Farrelly's are medium-to-big budget films from at least a decade ago (it'd be no different listening to Roland Emmerich in this matter). In fact comparing recent resumes Effie has the "edge" because of Dear White People.<br />2) Effie has more experience working with small scale budget films than Pete and was put in charge of the budget by the HBO Films exec, who supports Effie 100 percent in this matter.<br />3) Farrelly is obviously going to have more name recognition because his name is tagged on the poster of all his films. Nobody checks or remembers who structured for your favorite films.<br /><br />If Effie committed an error, it's that she was too patient with Jason going over her head not once but twice; well aware that such a freakout or rant would turn her into the tried-and-true "angry black woman" reality show rant.

• Love 5

I'm curious about the casting in particular. It would make sense for them to go after name actors, but I wonder how many of them would want the role AND deal with being on the Project? And Kevin Kline? Really? No chance he'd ever want to be involved with this mess. In the end Jason casts pals. Just like Gulager cast family members. 

BTW, one wonders if this was any other feature than a P.G. feature that Jason would have had his ass kicked to the curb? The sense of entitlement is so evident. Most first time directors would be so grateful to even be in this position that none of these problems would occur. 

• Love 4

Poor Jason.  Mommy and daddy have been bankrolling his every creative whim and now he has to actually work for someone who has a cap on expenditures.  

He may spend enough time pouting that they give in or risk losing the Project Greenlight show for future seasons but unless the finished project is the second-coming of Citizen Kane (randomly selecting a universally-lauded film), he'll have a hard time working in Hollywood again.

And Effie?  I've agreed with most of her moves but I don't understand her objection to Peter Farrelly taking his own stab at talking Jason out of shooting on film.  Did she not realize that he was going after the same goal she had?  Or was she so mad that he wasn't staying "within his lane," that she was blinded to the reality?  I'm guessing it's the latter. She seems constantly poised to see some kind of unfairness or undermining of her work that she jumps to perceiving a wrong where there is none.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 2

He may spend enough time pouting that they give in or risk losing the Project Greenlight project but unless the finished project is the second-coming of Citizen Kane (randomly selecting a universally-lauded film), he'll have a hard time working in Hollywood again.

And Effie?  I've agreed with most of her moves but I don't understand her objection to Peter Farrelly taking his own stab at talking Jason out of shooting on film.  Did she not realize that he was going after the same goal she had?  Or was she so mad that he wasn't staying "within his lane," that she was blinded to the reality?  I'm guessing it's the latter. She seems constantly poised to see some kind of unfairness or undermining of her work that she jumps to perceiving a wrong where there is none.

Citizen Kane was on Affleck's list of made-on-film films, wasn't it? Seems like a fair enough comparison. Although apparently Affleck and Damon got him picked up by their agent, so who knows, maybe he has a shot at this.

I have to agree that the poor communications are at fault here, but I feel for Effie. She's in a situation where she's responsible for the actual production of the film, and a bunch of greybacks with courtesy titles keep giving the toddler at the wheel sympathetic feedback when he does end runs around her. Does anyone think he's not holding his location choice hostage for film? It looks right but was built later? Please.

• Love 1

Citizen Kane was on Affleck's list of made-on-film films, wasn't it? Seems like a fair enough comparison. Although apparently Affleck and Damon got him picked up by their agent, so who knows, maybe he has a shot at this.

I just picked it off the top of my head as an example of an iconic film.

• Love 1

I think it wasn't Farrelly as much as she just reached her breaking point. What I responded to with Farrelly's second call, and I think what triggered her outrage(and made her deaf to the actual content) was that Jason had once again gone behind her back. Dealing with a spoiled brat who refuses to budge would be enough to make anyone crazy and short tempered. Was it ill-advised, sure. But then Farrelly takes his ball and goes home after one testy encounter? What a baby. Just like his mentee.

If Farrelly was indeed his mentor, then part of that mentoring should surely have been be the reality check between "this is how it's done in film school" and "this is how it goes down in real life." A discussion of wishes vs needs, the bottom line, and how all the players on the film have an important contribution.

• Love 5

Effie was responding to the fact that they are INSANELY behind schedule -- to the point where literally every moment of every day counts. Wasting time with more "persuasion" with Jason about film would waste that many more hours he would not be finishing the script or looking at locations and the thousand other things that are not getting done. 

This conflict was all about communication. Someone should have made it clear from the outset what this mentor role would be and how it would work. If Pete had called up and said, "Effie, I understand Jason's having a hard time understanding the budget constraints about film vs. video, and maybe I can help. How about if I blah blah blah," and then Effie could have said, "Hey, thanks Pete, but we've got that covered." (To be fair, Pete may have said that or something like that but Effie didn't hear cuz she went ballistic.) 

But I understand her frustration when the guy who wanted to waste time talking about filming in Georgia calls up and wants to KEEP talking about film vs. digital video, when she's been desperately trying to put a nail in that coffin. More time wasted.

My only real complaint about Effie is she should have just told Jason no about the film from the beginning. Why has everyone tiptoed around this? It simply is not in the budget. It's not going to be in the budget. Period. "Nope, not gonna happen. End of discussion. Move on."

The first big mistake was choosing this prima donna for director. The second mistake was changing the plan to use his script. They then followed suit by casting his pal, and then agreed to cast his other pal. Jason now has the impression that he is godlike and everybody else is "staff" and he gets to stand around and say what he wants and it's their job to make it happen. This was all wrong top to bottom. 

I want to point out that Effie's track record is films completed ON TIME and ON BUDGET. That is nothing to sniff at. 

• Love 5

My only real complaint about Effie is she should have just told Jason no about the film from the beginning. Why has everyone tiptoed around this? It simply is not in the budget. It's not going to be in the budget. Period. "Nope, not gonna happen. End of discussion. Move on."

The first big mistake was choosing this prima donna for director. The second mistake was changing the plan to use his script. They then followed suit by casting his pal, and then agreed to cast his other pal. Jason now has the impression that he is godlike and everybody else is "staff" and he gets to stand around and say what he wants and it's their job to make it happen. This was all wrong top to bottom. 

Yep yep, especially the first part. I don't know who has the authority to shut this dude down, but it needs to be done. I wish the head of HBO Films would say it by conference call, if need be. Other than the drama, I don't know why everyone is tiptoeing around this guy. He won a contest. He's probably not the second coming of Spielberg. 

• Love 5

This conflict was all about communication. Someone should have made it clear from the outset what this mentor role would be and how it would work. If Pete had called up and said, "Effie, I understand Jason's having a hard time understanding the budget constraints about film vs. video, and maybe I can help. How about if I blah blah blah," and then Effie could have said, "Hey, thanks Pete, but we've got that covered." (To be fair, Pete may have said that or something like that but Effie didn't hear cuz she went ballistic.) 

As the EP, Pete doesn't need to ask the line producer for permission. Also, watching her snarky reactions in previous conversations, I highly doubt she would have responded the way you suggest.

Edited by Fatkat
  • Love 1

She did say just that, especially in episodes 2 and 3.  I think the problem is that even though Effie is the executive producer, since this is all part of Project Greenlight, it's not just up to her and HBO to say no to film.  They have to get buy-in from Matt and Ben and the various mentors that aren't part of the decision-making process in a normal film. It's obvious that Ben is taking the film side of the debate and Matt has been a total dick to Effie, so they're probably the ones stringing Jason along into believing he'll get his way.  

• Love 3

Effie has said that! More than once, that we've seen. He just doesn't take no for an answer. Clearly, he's been successful in the past in wearing people down to get his way. 

Or...what RemoteControlFreak said! GMTA.

• Love 5

I haven't rewatched season 3 because it being on Bravo it's not on demand so I don't remember if Gulager would qualify, but so far PG has managed to cast four directors I wanted to smack the shit out of.

Oh, he MORE than qualifies! (season 3 is available for free on you tube, FYI!)

So, y'all, I'm wondering - now that 2 of the 3 leads are British, is this movie still going to be about East Coast old money...?! Or will it be about British old money, as the OG Leisure Class seemed to be? Ed Weeks didn't do his audition in an American accent, so seemingly they are going to let him use his natural voice. It seems like these casting choices would have a big effect on the direction of the whole film (and would then require re-writes to be more culturally specific to the US or UK). I guess we'll find out eventually, but it was bugging me while watching this week.

• Love 1

Pete is not being a baby. He doesn't need to do this. People can clown the Farrelly brothers all day but they have made classic comedies and people really do enjoy working for them. They have been extremely successful over the years. People like to compare the resumes of Effie and Pete but that's besides the issue. If he feels disrespected and the position he has signed up for is pointless than he should leave.

It has not been easy for Effie on this production. But, attacking someone trying to help is not making it any easier. Bottom line, she hasn't gotten the job done is regards to Jason and his demands. That's more on Jason than anything but the facts are the facts. Pete tried to attack it from a different angle. Effie can feel like he went behind her back but didn't have to say anything. He was actually keeping her in the loop by calling and letting her know what's going on. Jason is the only one that should be getting shade right now.

I just don't personally see how it can be seen as a black and white issue. Through all of the defenses one can throw to support Effie, her attitude was wrong and she does need help. Because Jason is giant baby. Whatever way they can solve these issues, let it be done. No matter who ultimately solves it.

I feel like Effie keeps getting supported best on her initial conflict Damon (another instance where I couldn't just sit and support her. I understood what Damon was trying to get across) but I wouldn't want to deal with her either. I don't care how many productions she's worked on. I would be tired of her too.

• Love 3

I think the problem is that even though Effie is the executive producer, since this is all part of Project Greenlight,

Effie isn't the Executive Producer she is the line producer and the co-creative producer with Marc. Her responsibility is the budget, schedule, and day to day management of the shoot. Pat what's his name the line producer in the first season got over ruled all the freaking time.

Matt, Ben, both Farelly brothers and maybe one other person are the Exec Producers.

Edited by biakbiak

As a couple people above noted, Effie probably doesn't have full authority to nix shooting on film. The EPs need to do that, and I simply do not understand why no one has yet. Directors are told no all the time on real movies and I wonder why Greenlight keeps pretending otherwise.

• Love 2

I kind of never want to see the finished movie just because Jason is such an asshole, and I have no desire to support him or his career. What a petulant brat. I've been in these types of situations before, and I've always wanted one person to stand up to the brat and shut them down. Unequivocally.

I can't say it's not a bit entertaining to watch though.

It would be interesting to see what the various players think of Jason after they see the episodes rather than just their individual interactions with him.

• Love 1

I remember enjoying previous seasons of Project Runway, but this one is driving me up the wall. They chose an intentionally aloof, stubborn, and spoiled guy to win their contest so there would be drama, and they got their wish. I'm so tired of the film vs. digital debate. It just drags on and on, for dramas sake. I wish they had chosen one of the other contestants who I could root for. Instead, I wouldn't mind seeing this Jason doofus fail.

Effie seems "on" all the time, trying to be powerful, yet adorable. I guess with a camera stuck in your face that you elevate the situation and try to get the most drama for the show.  I'd like to like her, but she's very tiring.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 1

Jason's holding up decisions which should have already been made to fight for film - something Matt Damon even acknowledges he should let go, although he doesn't appear to have said that to Jason. The mansion only looks period? JHC, dude, Citizen Kane was also filmed on a set. Rosebud was a brand new sled.

Yeah, this is the one thing that doesn't ring true. Even Jason would know that since all an audience will ever see is a 2-dimensional image with far less resolution than the naked eye in person can detect (i.e., the audience won't actually be in the house to smell its smells, examine its infrastructure, etc.), a location that looks right for his story is 100% as good for his purposes as a location that actually is right. It doesn't even have to look right from all angles. It only has to look right from the angles he'll be shooting it. This is one of the first things you come to realize when you're shooting. Even the little indie shorts Jason has made would (or should) have taught him that.

As for why none of the powers-that-be are saying no to Jason so far, I have a theory. They all have enough experience to know that the directors who make the best films are the often the ones who are the biggest pains in the ass. The ones who drive everyone around them crazy in their search for perfection. All TPTB are thinking (so far), "For superior results, I'd rather bet on a guy who won't settle than an easy-to-get-along-with hack." You can compromise a film to death. I think it would be less embarrassing to them to have the project go completely off the rails and never get finished than to have it end up a "competently" produced mediocrity.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

She did say just that, especially in episodes 2 and 3.  I think the problem is that even though Effie is the executive producer, since this is all part of Project Greenlight, it's not just up to her and HBO to say no to film.  They have to get buy-in from Matt and Ben and the various mentors that aren't part of the decision-making process in a normal film. It's obvious that Ben is taking the film side of the debate and Matt has been a total dick to Effie, so they're probably the ones stringing Jason along into believing he'll get his way.  

Well, I guess she wasn't very convincing, since I wasn't. Convinced, I mean. After Jason announced he wanted to use film, all the decision-makers should have addressed this directly. Instead it's been tossed around like a hot potato. I think Jason thought he could "make a case" for it, and so kept trying to maneuver around Effie. All the deciding people were making sympathetic noises instead of telling him NO. They were playing chicken. But until someone steps forward and says "here's the extra cash, use film" -- Effie had to proceed with the budget they've got, so she was the one with the gun to her head. What I can't figure out is why. Why didn't any of those decision-makers just tell him no, flat no. That's their job. It's such an elementary bungle. It seems like they were deliberately going ultra-hands-off. To facilitate dramatic tension. To create drama. That's what they got. 

• Love 5