Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
radishcake

S27.E03: Puffless

Upon learning that their father really died of lung cancer, Selma and Patty agree to quit smoking. When Selma relapses, an angry Patty moves in with Marge and Homer.

We learn the fate of what happened to Teen Homer's car! He forgot it at a music festival. Seemed oddly fitting.

I thought we'd be rehashing "Burns marries Mrs. Bouvier" plot again, but I like that Burns just wants Abe to not have her. I thought it was odd that she now lived in a house and not Hal Roach apartments. But then Patty & Selma burned the house down when setting fire to their cigarettes and it all made sense.

I loved how the couch gag was called back halfway through. And I like how Yo-Yo Ma actually stuck around for the entire birthday party.

Didn't really care for the Maggie plot...until Spider-Pig showed up.

Edited by Galileo908

The Maggie plot was excellent.  Loved the return of Spider-Pig, and that he had powers and saved the day.

Outside of Homer and Bart bleaching their eyes, the main plot wasn't great.

• Like 1

I had to mute all the Maggie scenes. Her paci sucking noise has gotten more and more annoying through the years. I wish there were a version of Simpsons for misophonia sufferers -- no family eating noises, either. Episodes with a lot of Maggie or Barney are almost unwatchable for me now.

I can't believe how much I enjoyed Homer consoling Bart outside the bathroom post-Homer seeing Patty in the nude and post-Homer bleaching his eyes. Maggie's adventures with the animals was too cute and yes! The return of Spider Pig!!

And omg, Duff Man's "I've heard of wanting a cracker but actually becoming one, oh no!" to his returned parrot Hoppy made me lol.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Like 2

The Fox promos made it seem that this episode would be all about Burns and Grampa wooing Marge's mom.  So good job with the misleading promo Fox.

Didn't 1 of both of Patty and Selma lose their sense of smell (from the episode where Selma marries Sideshow Bob) so that cigarette smoke wouldn't be a problem.

Maggie's plot was cute if forgettable.  I suppose the whole episode was kind of bland and forgettable.

• Like 1

First Maggie subplot in.....geez, how long?  Part of me wonders if the episode broke an unwritten rule by having Maggie "talk," even if via subtitle.  I think a number of the jokes probably could've worked even without the dialogue, or if just the animals were subtitled and they understood Maggie's pacifier-sucking anyway.

And omg, Duff Man's "I've heard of wanting a cracker but actually becoming one, oh no!" to his returned parrot Hoppy made me .

I can't believe it took until the 27th season to have the funniest episode-closing line in Simpsons history, but here it is!

Edited by Trick Question

Loved Maggie's story. It was a pleasant reminder to me of the book version of Mary Poppins. There was a chapter where the baby twins can talk to animals but lost the ability when they grew older, as it happens to all children.

The Fox promos made it seem that this episode would be all about Burns and Grampa wooing Marge's mom.  So good job with the misleading promo Fox.

Didn't 1 of both of Patty and Selma lose their sense of smell (from the episode where Selma marries Sideshow Bob) so that cigarette smoke wouldn't be a problem.

As with the FOX promo, I didn't watch it because the promo monkeys either totally screw the pooch by showing the episode's "twist" or are misleading (and it happened with Family Guy when they were doing a promo for Not All Dogs Go To Heaven. They made it seem that it will be mostly about Star Trek, but instead it was mostly about Brian, Meg, and religion).

Yeah, they claim to have lost their sense of smell because of their smoking (which it really does do, btw),  but usually when you quit, it starts in about  two days after you stop, and everything starts (or try) to  return to normal. Everything that the smokes does kinds of goes away pretty fast, but the actual quitting part is what is hard and extremely hard for some people to do (and sometimes you do end up gaining weight because you want to put something in your mouth). Now, I would say that the extent to the repair would be base on how much damage has been done. 

Is this the first series to use the official "Happy Birthday To You" song since last month's federal ruling that it's in the Public Domain? I wonder if there was originally a different song used when the episode was first put together, and they switched it once the ruling came down.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Like 1

We learn the fate of what happened to Teen Homer's car! He forgot it at a music festival. Seemed oddly fitting.

Didn't really care for the Maggie plot...until Spider-Pig showed up.

That wasn't Homer's car, homer drove a Plymouth superbird (recognizable by the giant rear spoiler) not a Pontiac GTO.

Agreed though Spider pig was awesome, especially that he had spider powers.

• Like 1

Selma lost her sense of smell when a bottle rocket went up her nose in that alternate timeline. To our knowledge Patty never permanently lost her sense of smell, so if one wanted to hold The Simpsons to some sort of rules about things not contradicting other things, it is feasible that Patty could regain her sense of smell like she did in this episode.

I laughed a little too easily at the: Bowl full of cigarettes and lighters -> Burning bowl of cigarettes and lighters -> Family standing around rubble of house that burned down.

• Like 1