Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

I really would love for Wed at 8 to be divided between Survivor and TAR.  Give Survivor fall and spring and TAR gets winter and summer.  It would make Wed my favorite night of the week all year. 

Big Brother can always be scheduled for another night.  Wed & Thu are too close anyway.  Make it Sun, Tue and Thu.

• Love 5
On 08/26/2016 at 9:42 AM, Lantern7 said:

Totally not being sarcastic. I'm expecting the show to replace MacGyver, and we won't have a TAR30 until summer . . . at best.

I agree a lot. If either one of newer shows (sans MacGyver) or any of older shows to be cancelled (sans Hawaii Five-0), TAR 29 will be replaced and will get air early. As for TAR 30, filming will begin in fall and won't wait until next summer.

Besides, Blue Bloods is doing better on Fridays.

TAR 6 was filmed in summer 2004, just as coinciding with the Olympics held in Athens, as TAR 5 was aired at that time, TAR 7 was also filmed in fall and early winter, a few days after TAR 6 went aired on airwaves.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

The stagnant viewership is what the show deserves for ramping up the gimmick casts within the last five seasons ~

(I mean, the Emmy's just awarded "Best Reality Show" to The Voice for the second time in a row, heh heh!)

Just read reviews from critics for new fall shows and they came down pretty hard on both CBS's Bull and McGyver.  Bull in particular seems doomed to me.  I can't believe that CBS can find room in their schedule for a show about guy who selects jurors for trials but can't find room for The Amazing Race.  That is both Amazing and Bull.

• Love 10
On 09/21/2016 at 0:08 PM, shortsummers said:

Just read reviews from critics for new fall shows and they came down pretty hard on both CBS's Bull and McGyver.  Bull in particular seems doomed to me.  I can't believe that CBS can find room in their schedule for a show about guy who selects jurors for trials but can't find room for The Amazing Race.  That is both Amazing and Bull.

Bull and the new MacGyver will be great for the new CBS shows. The official Thursday schedule won't be aired until October 27, Pure Genius, the other CBS new show, it will be flopped after fewer episodes for cancellation tossup, The Amazing Race will be filled in for Thursday timeslot after the successful comedy/sitcom block (8 to 10 pm).

You really should contact CBS.

Edited by ApprenticeFan

Happy usual-premiere day! Bull had a decent enough premiere from a ratings perspective. I am very eager to see how macguyver does. Hoping it tanks but it probably will be a good fit with fellow 80s reboot Hawaii five o

On 9/23/2016 at 10:18 AM, TheRabbi said:

Happy usual-premiere day! Bull had a decent enough premiere from a ratings perspective. I am very eager to see how macguyver does. Hoping it tanks but it probably will be a good fit with fellow 80s reboot Hawaii five o

It did not tank. Highest ratings it that time slot in 11 years.

FWIW, scheduling is a non-issue if you stream it through the CBS website.  We've totally switched to watching it whenever we have time, rather than when it airs.   If we feel like watching it on Sunday at 9:09, we can do that.  The commercial breaks are shorter too.  Recommended. 

• Love 1

I believe they still charge for their app's programming in the US. 

First time I had an app not accept my DirectTv info as proof of payment. Usually a service provider is all ya' need. 

I think they wanted about 5 bucks a month for the privilege. 

No thank you.

Didn't know their site streamed? Thought I tried that. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by NewDigs
On 10/12/2016 at 9:20 PM, Netfoot said:

CBS's website is blocked to most of the world, even those places where CBS network is aired.

Can't speak to most of the world, but in Canada, CTV airs it, and you can watch free on their website the next day and until the next episode airs.

1 hour ago, kingshearte said:

Can't speak to most of the world, but in Canada, CTV airs it, and you can watch free on their website the next day and until the next episode airs.

Well, in Barbados, CBS is available via MCTV (operated by the government CBC), but you've never been able to watch any of the additional TAR videos on the CBS website.  

I came here to check on a premiere date. I don't know, guys. Admittedly I'm a newer convert to TAR but I can't really blame CBS for putting it on hold if the ratings weren't great. A) CBS is used to big ratings (even if I think most of those shows are garbage) and B) TAR has been struggling a litte. I mean the show itself. I haven't loved the challenges on a regular basis. They've been particularly lucky/unlucky when it comes to casting finding some particularly annoying "personalities" because of all the shenanigans. I didn't hate the idea of youtubers but that's not what they did. There should have been more people like Tyler and Korey and fewer people who were boring but attractive. To me, the point of getting youtubers and especially people who vlog or make regular video content is you know they're capable of being entertaining on camera, they have a fan base, and you can get a sense of who they are (fewer surprises) because they put so much of themselves out there. Whoever was casting didn't take much advantage of that for most of the racers.

In light on the dire news that we might get just one more season, I have to ask: can't Bert & Elise bring their show to another network? I haven't been a huge fan of NBC, but they do good work with The Voice, America's Got Talent and American Ninja Warrior. And they haven't tried to resurrect Last Comic Standing recently, so that can be considered another plus. Not like NBC would want Phil replaced by JB Smoove or Anthony Jeselnik.

I cannot be 100 percent certain on some of this, but I do believe it could be shopped to other nets. TAR is owned by WRP, and CBS funds and buys each season to air. I think if CBS was no longer interested, then WRP could go ask other suitors. As mentioned, I could certainly be off on some of the logistics.

Hot off the press: TAR Will premiere Friday April 21, in its usual Friday at 8 timeslot, after Mcguyver finishes its run.

Probably not great news for its ratings prospects since the ratings for the last few as summer approaches are always the worst of the year.

Source: deadline

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 2
On 12/1/2016 at 3:21 AM, Lantern7 said:

Four months? Okay, better than nothing. And maybe CBS is the best option for now, since NBC is okay with using The Terminator on their celebrity show.

Duh? New ANTM on VH1, The Bachelor on ABC and Survivor 34 on CBS, are which they're both okay to wait for TAR 29.

AR is one of 2 prime time shows I watch on CBS (Survivor is the other).  I don't understand how shows like Bull, Hawaii 5-0, McGyver and the slew of NCIS shows are considered "dramas".  There is ZERO suspense in any of these formulaic shows!  Anyone who has ever watched TV since "Dragnet" was aired can figure out the "who-what-how" crime in the first 10 minutes.  As for CBS's attempts at comedies...yeesh.  What a sh** show they have there...Odd Couple? Two Broke (more like 'Busted') Girls?  Joey Tribianni as a befuddled dad? Kevin James & his reincarnated "King of Queens" sadness? Yet the programming execs can't squeeze in Amazing Race? 

• Love 8
On November 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Sayla Vee said:

Oh, yay.  You guys made my day.  I have so missed my Amazing Phil and his racers.  Not pleased about the "theme" of this season, but I'll take anything just to have it back on my TV.

What is the theme?

TAR used to be my favorite show but it has been getting formulaic. But even worse than the stale casts and routes is when they try gimmicks. The YouTube folks were almost unwatchable for me. 

• Love 1

Since the show is on its last legs, I wish the producers would gamble a bit and simply go back to the original premise and structure.  I think the gimmicks have been overplayed and I do think there is an audience for a show that doesn't work so hard to try and create drama that has nothing to do with racing.  Great locales,  interesting challenges that mix the unique with ubiquity to the locales.  Try to find fewer people still deluded into thinking that somehow, someway despite the incredible slim pickings for fame in a post reality show world, this show will be the gateway to fame and fortune. 

• Love 7

Thirtieth season? Bring back winners. Okay, we'll conveniently forget about Eric & Danielle, BJ & Tyler, and Freddy & Kendra. Shit, I'd be okay with Flo returning, because I think we're past the statue of limitations on how friggin' annoying she was.

Still wondering if the show can hop to another network. Aside from NBC, I don't know if any of the other major places would have room. Maybe ABC, but that's the place where intelligent reality television goes to die. Yes, I'm still bitter about The Mole.

• Love 2
On 12/8/2016 at 10:05 PM, Lantern7 said:

Thirtieth season? Bring back winners. Okay, we'll conveniently forget about Eric & Danielle, BJ & Tyler, and Freddy & Kendra. Shit, I'd be okay with Flo returning, because I think we're past the statue of limitations on how friggin' annoying she was.

Still wondering if the show can hop to another network. Aside from NBC, I don't know if any of the other major places would have room. Maybe ABC, but that's the place where intelligent reality television goes to die. Yes, I'm still bitter about The Mole.

Ya' had me there for a quick second.

Bring back winners? Fun! Why not? And you conveniently started a "why not?" list!

Though the last time I watched Flo's season I was able to see her antics as comic-relief rather than as all-out shrew.

It sounds to me like TPTB either intend (or have been pressured by the Network) to put together pairs of Racers who'll have inevitable personality/culture clashes just for the drama.

I'll be disappointed (and yet, sadly, not surprised) if/when we get teams paired up like that.  But I think it's coming.

• Love 1

It's funny because as horrible as Flo was to Zach I actually liked her. I loved that season. Especially, John Vito & Jill and O'Brother (Ken & Gerard). The show was so good then and the race was suspenseful. My favorite part was when Flo & Zach were on the ferry with the bikes ad Flo was telling the brothers they had to go back to get the bikes (or, something like that). The teams worked together a lot back then. Great season but I didn't realize how horrible Flo was until people mentioned it. LOL!!!!

• Love 2
On 12/8/2016 at 7:21 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Since the show is on its last legs, I wish the producers would gamble a bit and simply go back to the original premise and structure.  I think the gimmicks have been overplayed and I do think there is an audience for a show that doesn't work so hard to try and create drama that has nothing to do with racing.  Great locales,  interesting challenges that mix the unique with ubiquity to the locales.  Try to find fewer people still deluded into thinking that somehow, someway despite the incredible slim pickings for fame in a post reality show world, this show will be the gateway to fame and fortune. 

I have no doubts that Phil, Bertram, and Elise would love nothing more than to do that. They've implied in interviews that they prefer the original format and are being squeezed by CBS. The problem is that CBS has to greenlight and fund each season. In interviews over the past couple years, the CBS president of programming said TAR would have to evolve to survive. So its CBS that needs to have their heads examined (Glenn Geller). 

• Love 1
On 11/30/2016 at 1:19 PM, TheRabbi said:

Hot off the press: TAR Will premiere Friday April 21, in its usual Friday at 8 timeslot, after Mcguyver finishes its run.

Probably not great news for its ratings prospects since the ratings for the last few as summer approaches are always the worst of the year.

Source: deadline

Hurray!  Didn't like the start of last seasons online stars but when the rid the show of the fame whores and got down to the real gamers it was good.

On 11/30/2016 at 3:48 PM, ByaNose said:

Can you imagine the winners having to wait till summer to get their $500,000 (each)?! I hope they didn't buy anything too expensive beforehand.

I know right?  I think season 1 winners had to wait for almost 2 years or some such ridiculous time.

A very sad note I came across.  Wow, just wow.

Glad to hear casting calls are still taking place, even though that's not confirmation of season 30 in the works (lot of times the local affiliates choose to do it just for self promotion).

The show CBS is trying to replace TAR with, Hunted, was sampled extremely well after the football game the other night, but settled into rather pedestrian ratings in its timeslot yesterday, much lower than Survivor was doing (higher than TAR). I will definitely be monitoring how Hunted does

On 1/22/2017 at 2:20 PM, jumper sage said:

I know right?  I think season 1 winners had to wait for almost 2 years or some such ridiculous time.

No.  It was originally filmed in around March of 2001.  The first episode was broadcast right before 9/11 and then there was maybe several weeks delay until the program started up again.  But it was definitely a lot less than a year when the season's last episode broadcast.

• Love 1