Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

The prior thread disappeared into the "previous seasons" section, so I will start another one of these.  I love to discuss the ratings!!

TAR27 premiered to a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating, on par with the season 25 premiere last year.  TAR26 premiered to a 1.5, when it aired the special 90 minute Wednesday edition.  It tied for #1 in the hour with Last Man Standing on ABC.  I think that being even year-to-year is a good thing, when you factor in that  more and more people are watching on their own schedules with less "Live" viewing.

CBS has had a fair-to-bad week going into the night, with Big Bang and the NCIS series seeing declines year-to-year.  Race also beat the season premiere of Hawaii Five-O (though was eclipsed by Blue Bloods).

This has to be seen as a good result.  Hopefully we can continue to stay above that 1.0 threshold, which is a sign of doom for Friday shows these days.

EDIT: It was adjusted up to a 1.2 in the final ratings released today.  That is now an improvement year-to-year.  A good result!

Edited by TheRabbi

Shelby, it was, but not anymore since it is no longer on Sunday nights.

As for Friday nights, I can no longer watch it when it airs since I am at a event on Friday nights, but at least I now have CBS All Access so I can catch up the day after - not sure how they count those who watch it later on demand, if they do count them in some way.

• Love 2

As for Friday nights, I can no longer watch it when it airs since I am at a event on Friday nights, but at least I now have CBS All Access so I can catch up the day after - not sure how they count those who watch it later on demand, if they do count them in some way.

Technically, you're actually doing a better service to the show, unless you have a Nielsen box.  Networks can only rely on Nielsen to get figures on how their shows are doing in Live and DVR ratings.  However, if you're watching online, their website is certainly tracking exactly how many people are clicking there each time.  So go ahead and watch online!

1.2 rating in week 2, even with last week.  So far I think we're doing pretty well.

• Love 1

I don't have CBS All Access, but I have been able to watch it on the CBS website on Friday night after it airs.  I got in early enough that I don't remember any commercials either.  I'm not above paying to watch TAR, but if I can watch it for free....win/win/win!

5 episodes in, and the ratings are: 1.2, 1.2, 1.1, 1.1, 1.2.

So far we're doing pretty good.  We're almost identical to season 25 last year.  This Friday could be tough, on Halloween weekend, and also against the World Series, but so far we have to feel good about how we're doing.

For comparison, CBS's Sunday lineup last night saw Madam Secretary get a 1.3, Good Wife 1.0, and CSI Cyber a 0.8.  Sunday nights are in shambles on this network.

I figure Friday works better for me, even with the possibility I'll have to DVR the next episode so I can watch the World Series. With Sundays, you have overrun from the NFL, college basketball and golf. It's a relief to plop down on the couch and not have to wait for the show I like.

TAR is actually doing pretty well considering that it's stable year-to-year, which is huge in this day and age. As the rest of the CBS line-up sees its ratings come down, TAR doesn't look so bad in comparison, especially for airing on a Friday. The only shows that CBS has consistently over a 2.0 are The Big Bang Theory (an outlier, really), NCIS, Survivor, and potentially Supergirl depending on where it lands The rest are in the 1s, and TAR's ratings will likely be at a win, a tie or near-tie with Hawaii Five-0, Madam Secretary, 60 Minutes, Blue Bloods, NCIS: LA, Chicago Code, Elementary, CSI Cyber and The Good Wife. TAR should be cheaper as it's reality, so we're in good shape. In short, CBS has problems in so many high-profile timeslots that TAR's ratings are likely an extremely low priority for them.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 1

Another 1.2 this week, on Halloween weekend and against the World Series, so I think that's a very solid result.  Tied with ABC sitcoms for second place in the hour.  It was also the top-rated CBS show of the night, beating out Five-O and Blue Bloods.

I agree with what DB in CMH said.  CBS is going to have much bigger problems to worry about in their schedule.  Their 10 pm shows are sinking like a rock this year, and Criminal Minds and the NCIS series are finally starting to show their age.  Plus their Thursday lineup hasn't even premiered yet, so who knows how that will do.

I just hope we are doing well enough to get "normal" seasons, and not another gimmick season, which is heavily rumored for season 28.

Down a tick to a 1.1 in episode 7. Third place in the timeslot behind Master Chef and ABC sitcoms. Hopefully MC got a bump from being the premiere episode and will give us back that tenth next week.

I so much preferred this show on Sunday. It was a grate way to end the weekend and to start the week. Also, the ratings were great because of football. That said, everyone hated when football ran over and delayed the Sunday lineup.

Another 1.1 rating in episode 8.

One thing that was announced today that made me consider TAR. E Network is cancelling/ending The Soup after many years. After sitting on Wednesdays for eternity, declining ratings shifted it to Fridays a year ago, and it was unable to survive. We all know TAR's bell will eventually ring, but hopefully it still has a few good years left on Friday.

Edited by TheRabbi

Season low 1.0 rating in episode 9. 3rd place in the time slot behind ABC sitcoms and Master Chef. It appears MC might have some audience crossover with us because we haven't been up to that 1.2 mark since that started.

Season low 1.0 rating in episode 9. 3rd place in the time slot behind ABC sitcoms and Master Chef. It appears MC might have some audience crossover with us because we haven't been up to that 1.2 mark since that started.

Maybe viewers are tired of watching Justin be an amazing douchebag around the world.

• Love 2

Yeah, Justin is turning me off big time. I'll still watch the show but I would like someone to overtake the green team. Of course, you can't hate the player but you can hate the game. I think the ratings are down because it's getting near the holiday and people are starting their travels on the highways & byways.

A 1.0 rating to end the season, third place in the slot, tying the series low, and dipping year to year.

Overall though, the season was roughly equal to season 25, with every episode generating between 1.0 and 1.2. Consistent at least.

I rarely watch live any more, and our TiVo screwed up a lot last season, so we ended up just buying a season pass on Amazon Instant Video. We aren't a Nielsen family, so if we watch live, it doesn't factor into ratings. Does it factor in if we TiVo and watch it or if we watch it on Amazon Instant Video?

(edited)

auntlada - of the options you mentioned, Amazon Instant Video is the one that will count. Amazon is certainly keeping track of how many people buy and stream their services, and CBS will almost certainly get a tab on the number of season passes that are bought. Watching live or on your DVR won't affect anything unless, as you say, you are a Nielsen family.

I'm extremely curious to see how this season is going to perform. With CBS having the Super Bowl tonight, there should be at least 1 promotional spot for the new season I would imagine, plus adding in that the cast is trying to lure in a new batch of younger viewers, and it will be very interesting to see if all of it has any effect.

Edited by TheRabbi

auntlada - of the options you mentioned, Amazon Instant Video is the one that will count.  Amazon is certainly keeping track of how many people buy and stream their services, and CBS will almost certainly get a tab on the number of season passes that are bought.  Watching live or on your DVR won't affect anything unless, as you say, you are a Nielsen family.

Good. We're planning to just buy the season on Amazon Instant Video again. It's either that or upgrade the TiVo, and we haven't decided if we want to do that since we rarely watch the DVRed stuff anyway any more.

A 1.2 rating to start us off. That is even with the first Friday episode of last February's blind dating season. It did manage to win the timeslot, but ABC's sitcoms took the week off, so we'll see next week. Overall, a good result for the premiere.

Edit: adjusted up to a 1.3 in the final ratings. Higher than the entirety of TAR 27.

Edited by TheRabbi

A 1.2 rating to start us off. That is even with the first Friday episode of last February's blind dating season. It did manage to win the timeslot, but ABC's sitcoms took the week off, so we'll see next week. Overall, a good result for the premiere.

I wish Amazon would release how many people watched it there. Or maybe I don't if it's not very many.

The three-week March Madness hiatus is back, but without any "special two-parter episode!" compensation a la Namibia this time around:

5/13/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2812) TBA
5/6/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2811) TBA
4/29/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2810) TBA
4/22/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2809) TBA
4/15/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2808) TBA
4/8/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2807) TBA
4/1/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2806) TBA
3/11/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2805) TBA
3/4/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2804) TBA
2/26/16 (Fr.) 8:00 PM CBS (#2803) Bros Being Jocks (Cartagena, Colombia)

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/amazing-race/listings/

I guess it was too much to expect CBS to have TAR follow Survivor the one week. I went to a small liberal arts college whose basketball team has wound a conference championship once, so I'm somewhat immune to the charms of "March Madness."

Back to back 1.1 ratings in episodes 2 and 3. Not going to turn many heads, but still hanging tough. The fact that we've been pretty stable for 3 and a half seasons on Fridays should count for something. Survivor is even starting to creep down a tad so far this season. We also tied for the timeslot lead with ABC sitcoms.

Per many internet sites (I first saw it on TAR's Facebook page), we have officially been renewed for the 2016-2017 season! Renewals came early this year. Most of CBS's veterans were renewed as well.

• Love 1

Sigh of relief, even with the specter of gimmick seasons and the 30th edition looming. I'm thinking CBS will keep TAR on Friday nights, though.

ETA: Is anybody else ticked off that CBS has farmed the Sunday regional finals to cable? If TAR was still airing on Sunday nights, there wouldn't be a lag waiting for the game and 60 Minutes to end.

(edited)

Series low 0.9 rating Friday night, the first time we've descended below the dreaded 1.0 mark.

Edit: it managed to adjust up to a 1.0 in the final ratings, thereby just tying the low, instead of setting a new one.

Edited by TheRabbi

I miss this show on Sunday nights. I don't think Friday nights is the right time for AR. Also, this current is to friendly & annoying of a cast. There's been no drama. I was hoping Tyler would have gotten stuck in the chute for the water slide. Unfortunately, he made it to the bottom safe & sound. Drats!!!!

• Love 1

FYI:  The Amazing Race episode for tonight (4/22) will be pushed back until 2:07AM due to baseball in the Washington DC metro area

Don't want anyone to miss an episode, I know I freak out if I don't know about these issues ahead of time! :-)

PS  works out perfectly for me since I'm going to the Washington Capitals game at the Verizon Center in Chinatown tonight (Go Caps!!)

Ugh. Condolences for those in the Washington area. Reminds me of TAR4, where the Great Northeast Blackout of 2004 hit on the day of the penultimate episode of TAR4. CBS did us a solid by reairing the episode on Saturday . . . but here in New York, the local station was playing a Jets game. A preseason Jets game. I think it aired around 2 a.m. as well.

FYI:  The Amazing Race episode for tonight (4/22) will be pushed back until 2:07AM due to baseball in the Washington DC metro area

Don't want anyone to miss an episode, I know I freak out if I don't know about these issues ahead of time! :-)

PS  works out perfectly for me since I'm going to the Washington Capitals game at the Verizon Center in Chinatown tonight (Go Caps!!)

I'm curious how they would know it's going to start at 2:07 AM precisely when it's being pre-empted by a baseball game of unknown length?

Friday's episode set a new series low of a 0.9 rating; the first time officially diving below the 1.0 threshold (I know I had mentioned that a few weeks ago, but that episode adjusted up to a 1.0 in the final ratings report, and today's finals still have this week's at a 0.9). Damn.

• Love 2

1.1 rating for finale. Ticked up to conclude a season almost entirely 1.0-1.1, except for two 0.9's and the 1.3 premiere.

Now for the big news, no TAR on the fall schedule, as CBS is launching a Macgyver reboot in our slot. The show has been ordered for midseason. This likely means we are only getting one cycle next year. Ugh. This sucks.

Is mid season January? I can defiantly see only one cycle. Such a bummer. I was just getting used to watching it on Friday which I've always hated. I wonder if this will be the death nell for The amazing Race. 

Well, the first sign of that death knell was the move to Fridays. This is just the next step.

It doesn't necessarily mean January. They've held it off the schedule once before (season 12) But reinstated it after its replacement tanked just a few weeks in.

It could air on Wednesdays in between Survivor seasons. Or replace one of the new shows that tanks. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Wednesdays after the fall Survivor season. 

46 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

Well, the first sign of that death knell was the move to Fridays. This is just the next step.

It doesn't necessarily mean January. They've held it off the schedule once before (season 12) But reinstated it after its replacement tanked just a few weeks in.

It could air on Wednesdays in between Survivor seasons. Or replace one of the new shows that tanks. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Wednesdays after the fall Survivor season. 

That would be a good idea to air during Survivor seasons. I need my reality fix and I only watch Survivor, TAR & BB. It sounds like a great plan. 

This is terrible news, the press release said it was a midseason replacement.  If another show tanks early, I hope they put it on and we can get two season in.  Very sad.  It also isn't good when press releases call it "the venerable reality series The Amazing Race".  Most people use "venerable" to mean something extremely long in the tooth, a classic and perhaps wise, but definitely on the tail end of life.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

This is terrible news, the press release said it was a midseason replacement.  If another show tanks early, I hope they put it on and we can get two season in.  Very sad.  It also isn't good when press releases call it "the venerable reality series The Amazing Race".  Most people use "venerable" to mean something extremely long in the tooth, a classic and perhaps wise, but definitely on the tail end of life.

and, if they show TAR replaces has a worst time slot it could really kill the show.

The Price is Right special got a 1.2 and outrated both the Survivor and Big Brother episodes on the previous nights (to be fair, they were both against The Voice and TAR wasn't), as well as outrating any episode TAR has had since moving to Fridays, so if CBS can somehow put two and two together from the higher ratings for this and TAR26's Wednesday premiere, or if we get lucky and a show on another night gets cancelled quickly, TAR29 moving away from Friday seems like a distinct possibility.

Pretty sad they treat an Emmy winning show that way. And maybe @Lantern7 was being sarcastic but it rings too true.

Minority opinion but I liked the Friday timeslot. I work an odd weekend schedule so that colors my viewing habits. Friday is my Monday and it's nice to come home to The Race.

• Love 1