Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Lehu a Lehu (Ashes to Ashes)

• Start Topic

Five-0 investigates when a bomb squad is attacked and the culprit threatens to detonate additional hidden explosive devices unless arsonist Jason Sinclair is released from prison. Also, after Adam returns from the hospital, Kono realizes that they are being watched, and McGarrett prepares to take his relationship with Catherine to the next level. Former UFC Champion Randy Couture returns as Jason Sinclair.

Original Airdate: October 2, 2015

SOURCE: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=43458

Edited by BW Manilowe

So a couple minutes into the scene with Duclair in the restaraunt, Comcast started playing the audio from some other channel all the way thru to the end. Who was in the jar in the locker?

I turned the show off when Steve once again refused his suspect a lawyer. It was just one too many times for me, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I've been handwaving all kinds of crap from the very first episode, but finally it just got to me. You have a guy locked in what is not even a police station type of interrogation room, but more like an underground doomsday dungeon. You tell him no lawyer is coming and in the past the next thing has been to begin maiming. Aside from the immorality of it, you are usually holding the wrong person and have not learned anything from having done so in the past. I just can't watch it anymore. Even the scenery can't over come it. And besides that, half the cast seems checked out and over it as well.

Still love the theme song, though. Isn't that weird? I don't know what makes it such a great little ditty but it really works.

• Love 4

Well FWIW 5-0 did not spend much time pooping on civil liberties this episode. They actually got a warrant to search a suspect's house!

We seem to be heading towards a dilemma as to whether or not Jerry should be an actual member of 5-0. I posted last season that he should be deputized for his actions in one episode in which he anticipated a bad guy's escape and took heroic action to stop it from happening. I think that was the same episode in which Kono rocked a leather skirt. In any case, Jerry would be a valuable addition to the team but he is far from being a cop. I would love to see the show addressing this since McGarrett, Kono and Catherine barely qualify as cops. What exactly does it take to join the Governor's elite crime-fighting task force?

Also, Jerry might get an office but Catherine doesn't? I suppose she can share McGarrett's. But if we're going to be deputizing people let's not be stingy here. Cath has been helping the team all along.

I am glad that this week's shenanigans did not involve 5-0 being one step behind the villain the whole way. And Kono found both her phone and her gun!

The Yakuza plot is interesting but still pretty silly. Adam promised them his worldly wealth. Gabriel jacks it. The Yakuza send goons to Kono's place to let Adam know they're watching him but if they were serious he'd already be dead. And then Gabriel decides to murder the Yakuka lackeys because...? If there is any justice in this universe, 5-0 will find Gabriel dismembered in some horrible manner and the Yakuza at peace with Adam because they know he didn't have any choice in the matter. But knowing this show Adam and Kono will be blamed for the death of the lackeys.

So did Randy Couture's character catch up to the bad guy and burn him up by the end of the episode? That was the deal with the jar of ash, right? But all those cops combing the woods fail to notice a plume of smoke rising into the sky? I thought the villain's motive was that Randy Couture had burned up a family member of his or something.

What I noticed was Kono going to confront two suspected Yakuza wearing flip flops. That is two weeks in a row her being super 5-0 sniper lead her to do the tactically stupid. McGarrett gets to do the stupid because he is a SEAL ;)

This show has become basically unwatchable. It jumped the shark when it set off a nuclear bomb in waters off of Hawaii. Why does every episode have to delve into such degradation and violence?

I came for the scenery because I love Hawaii. I left because of the violence.

• Love 2

It must have been a Very Old writer who wrote the line "We're checking out all the libraries to see who might have taken out a book with this poem in it."

Heh. When he said that, I was like, "buuuut ...." and then promptly forgot about it. But it seems even sillier when I see it all typed out in black and white.

I liked the opening scene where the briefcase has nothing in it and one cop apologizes to the bomb squad guy for getting him out there for nothing, to which bomb squad guy replies, "at least it's a nice day." Well, yes. Hawaii.

Also, were we supposed to think Randy Couture wouldn't have noticed the GPS they put under the heel of the insole in his shoe? Danny pulled it out and it was about an inch thick and three across.

I love this show, but I also believe they like to troll us hard on a regular basis.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 4

I was wondering why they blew up the bomb INSIDE the buildings? What if there had been a bomb in the cases? Couldn't that have done significant damage to the bank and the other building? Don't they usually put a potential bomb in a bomb proof enclosure before blowing it up?

Also, wasn't it dumb for the guys to go outside and search around when the bad guy was projecting Images on the wall, when another bomb could have been planted in one of the cars in the lot, just like he had done before?

• Love 2

This show is moving into CSI Miami territory. I only watch for the snark. I know Kono is to be on her honeymoon vacation, but with her current situation why hasn't any of the 5-O staff been at the house?

I've been comparing it to the Las Vegas CSI for years with the police officer death rate. I guess we can add Gotham in to that mix. Her current situation is the same one all of them except Captain Grover has been in, they are only safe working covering for each other, 

It must have been a Very Old writer who wrote the line "We're checking out all the libraries to see who might have taken out a book with this poem in it."

Yeah, check the libraries,I guess Hawaii doesn't have this Google thing I've heard of...

=========================================

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Blackened Trout in the jar.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

This show is moving into CSI Miami territory. I only watch for the snark. I know Kono is to be on her honeymoon vacation, but with her current situation why hasn't any of the 5-O staff been at the house?

The entire team was with Kono at the hospital in the last scene/last part of the scene where she called Chin to tell him what happened to Adam in Ep 601, last week (the scene where Chin was surprised to see it was Kono on his Caller ID & he said something like "I thought you were supposed to be on your honeymoon" [like "You're supposed to be having 'alone time' with your new husband right now, not talking to your cousin."] when he answered). They went to the hospital to stay/sit with her during Adam's surgery, after Kono called Chin.

As for why they weren't there this week, once Adam got home...

A) They were busy working the case. Their work probably should take precedence; especially when the case involves a bomber.

B) Even if you are ohana, it's usually kinda rude to just drop by on someone as soon as they've gotten home from the hospital (like the same day). Especially if they're recovering from something major, like surgery (as Adam is/was). Seeing as Jerry apparently drove Kono & Adam home, I think we can assume he probably went by the Palace, or called, later to let the rest of the team know how Adam was doing, if Kono wasn't staying in touch with them or at least with her cousin Chin.

Would the bomb at the palace have really been any threat I mean pretty much right away they knew it was activated by a cell phone, and from what I know about remote detonated bombs (and not just from TV and movies) is that blocking cell phone frequencies is a pretty common thing that bomb squads are able to do.

What exactly does it take to join the Governor's elite crime-fighting task force?

It would seem the ability to kick down doors and shoot people a lot. You would think a data science/coding expert would be someone they would want on the team. Didn't he hack a drone at one point?

So this episode Kono uses the phone. 

It jumped the shark when it set off a nuclear bomb in waters off of Hawaii.

Isn't that the premise of the show though? I mean, they've been basically ruling Hawaii under martial law since the start. I mean, you can't take the show seriously. It's insane. And then they argue in the car. Cue some Grover snark. That's basically it. They kind of own it though. Ok, Grace, we're yanking your teeth out in the opener. Let's do it!

• Love 2

I still find the show incredibly entertaining.  I'm sad to see the ratings dip and everyone saying this is sure to be the last season now that the syndication requirement has been met.

That said, I do love pointing out ridiculous things, but most of this is just me venting.  It's just a TV show, I don't really expect things to be realistic.

After the Yakuza showed up the first time, Kono said something like "I really wish I had taken Chin up on that offer of a protection detail".  Well, why didn't she ask for one after that?  Last episode Gabriel stole Adam's money and he said the Yakuza was going to kill them.  If that's the case, why would they go right back to living in Kono's house?  Why wouldn't they have been holed away in a safe house or something?  I think Gabriel probably killed those two Yakuza guys in the car.

I was annoyed by Randy Couture.  He's a terrible actor, and his story just seemed so pointless.  With all of those HPD people searching the jungle, how is it that Duclair was able to find and capture Trout and then burn the body and neatly collect the ashes into a little jar?  Are we supposed to believe that Duclair in his orange jumpsuit, bleeding knee and bare feet made it somewhere dragging a shirtless dude with a phoenix tattoo on his chest, and nobody noticed or reported it?

I resent the show for continually trying to shoehorn Jerry Garcia into the show.  He doesn't fit at all, and his continual "antics" of trying to get a job at 5-0 really are not amusing.  I would much prefer seeing Catherine more regularly.  I was afraid for her, I would imagine she's not long for the show, but I really thought that Duclair was inside the building and was going to kill her when she went to get Steve some coffee.

• Love 2

I still find the show incredibly entertaining. I'm sad to see the ratings dip and everyone saying this is sure to be the last season now that the syndication requirement has been met.

That said, I do love pointing out ridiculous things, but most of this is just me venting. It's just a TV show, I don't really expect things to be realistic.

After the Yakuza showed up the first time, Kono said something like "I really wish I had taken Chin up on that offer of a protection detail". Well, why didn't she ask for one after that? Last episode Gabriel stole Adam's money and he said the Yakuza was going to kill them. If that's the case, why would they go right back to living in Kono's house? Why wouldn't they have been holed away in a safe house or something? I think Gabriel probably killed those two Yakuza guys in the car.

I was annoyed by Randy Couture. He's a terrible actor, and his story just seemed so pointless. With all of those HPD people searching the jungle, how is it that Duclair was able to find and capture Trout and then burn the body and neatly collect the ashes into a little jar? Are we supposed to believe that Duclair in his orange jumpsuit, bleeding knee and bare feet made it somewhere dragging a shirtless dude with a phoenix tattoo on his chest, and nobody noticed or reported it?

I resent the show for continually trying to shoehorn Jerry Garcia into the show. He doesn't fit at all, and his continual "antics" of trying to get a job at 5-0 really are not amusing. I would much prefer seeing Catherine more regularly. I was afraid for her, I would imagine she's not long for the show, but I really thought that Duclair was inside the building and was going to kill her when she went to get Steve some coffee.

I almost hate to bring this up, but this may not end up being the last season--for 1 thing, I think at least the original 4 leads (Alex, Scott, Daniel & Grace) may have another year on their contracts (though I know plenty of other shows have ended before the actors' contracts did--& so have plenty of individual actors' roles on shows... Like Patrick Dempsey getting, fairly unceremoniously, written out of Grey's Anatomy last season when his contract was supposed to run through this season).

Also, I think Peter Lenkov may still have an active development deal with CBS, & any shows he may already have on the air should be guaranteed to stay on until that deal ends.

Finally, the updated, final ratings for this ep came out today. They got raised, to a 1.1 in the demo (preliminary was 1.0) & a viewership of 9.25 million (preliminary was either 9.0 or 9.1 million). Those are still pretty good for a Friday show, & either stable compared to or better than this time last year, I think. If we can at least keep matching last season's performance in the timeslot, they may give us 1 more (presumably final, based on contracts) season. But, really, the second week of the season may be too soon to think of all that.

My final comment: Jerry's last name is Ortega, not Garcia (You're a Grateful Dead fan?). At least you picked another Latin origin name, so you weren't far off.

I am old myself, a strong library supporter, but thought the same thing. Why go to the library and check out a book, when you can sit at home and Google those poems - just like the 5-0 team did. Which is what made the statement even more ludicrous.

I was wondering why they blew up the bomb INSIDE the buildings? What if there had been a bomb in the cases? Couldn't that have done significant damage to the bank and the other building? Don't they usually put a potential bomb in a bomb proof enclosure before blowing it up?

Also, wasn't it dumb for the guys to go outside and search around when the bad guy was projecting Images on the wall, when another bomb could have been planted in one of the cars in the lot, just like he had done before?

In my very small town, the bomb squad blows suspected bombs up outside. Now, maybe the one that was next to the elevator, because it would have been harder to get the "bomb" outside, but the first one they stopped not too far from the front door.

When the approached the car with the projector on top, and the phone rang, I thought it was a trigger for a bomb. That was, indeed, stupid. Also, ramming in the door of a suspected bomber doesn't seem the brightest, but I don't know what the typical procedure is for that.

Jerry's last name is Ortega, not Garcia

But the actor's name is Jorge Garcia. I think the reference was to him and the poster just used the character's first name and the actor's last :)

Also, ramming in the door of a suspected bomber doesn't seem the brightest, but I don't know what the typical procedure is for that.

I guess Sammy was grounded for screwing up the first bombing.  Seriously, I would imagine that they would use thermals and other long-range devices to scan and create an entrance.

• Love 1

I was boggled that our "Elite crime fighting force" couldn't manage to track down a guy who'd been shot in the leg! Even if his "Avid fan" had secured his escape, you'd think that would slow him down somewhat!

buckboard I was wondering why they blew up the bomb INSIDE the buildings?

I was wondering what the point of that robot was - in both times we see it used, it moved the bomb about two feet before blowing it up! It's not like it even X-rayed the case. If that was the plan, why move the "bomb" at all? 

fishcakes Also, were we supposed to think Randy Couture wouldn't have noticed the GPS they put under the heel of the insole in his shoe?

Apparently no tracking device is capable of functioning without being HUGE and/or having a large blinking light. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be fair!