Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Run

This version of the FBI really has the Worst. Screening. Ever. Absolutely everyone has a life-altering secret?

I am seriously wondering if this is a very special Quantico session where they bring in all the applicants that are on some sort of NSA watch list so they can be watched/investigated and the rest of them are undercover.

• Love 6

I'm still trying to figure out how they had sex in the car. On the driver's side. Steering wheel. How is that fun? Guess I'm not imaginative or flexible enough.

I liked the thriller parts of the show. The Shonda-ness of it will annoy me. Like a poster above said, I too like Grey's at first.  But I hate shows that are sold as "twisty."  I didn't even give "Murder" a try and I really like Viola Davis. 

Jury is out on this one. 

• Love 3

How do we know Agent Car Sex (thanks Betsyboo) is already an agent? I must have missed that part.

When CarSex and CougarTown met on the jogging path, CarSex talked about not liking being under cover investigating her. He also said that he maneuvered to sit next to her on the plane and made sure he got her file to investigate. Actually, I guess he doesn't have to already be an agent, but I made the assumption he was because he was already asked to go under cover. That and he was the star interrogator.

I was checking them off as they happened, too. They have her set up as Meredith, and Angel Spawn as McDreamy, but she reminded me of Izzie in both looks and personality. 

Brother Karev !!   I knew I recognized from when I used to watch ( I seem to have lasted a good deal longer than a lot of people posting - I lasted until they dropped a plane on Lexie and Mark)

Shelly I knew from Greek (Spitter's first girlfriend) and from UnReal .Mormon I recognized from Sens8

• Love 2

Feel very much the odd duck in the room but to me the show screams "Crisis," that show with Dermot Mulroney and Gillian Anderson. 

And I'm afraid I'm pretty sure that resemblances to Shondaland are due to shared ancestry. I never thought Rimes was original in anything but shameless disregard for any character consistency, plot logic or believable settings that got in the way of big scenes. 

• Love 1

Brother Karev !!   I knew I recognized from when I used to watch ( I seem to have lasted a good deal longer than a lot of people posting - I lasted until they dropped a plane on Lexie and Mark)

That's when I gave up too!  I realized I absolutely hated every person and didn't care if they died in that plane crash so I stopped watching. 

The one thing that this show (hopefully) has, or rather DOESN'T have, is Shonda.  Hopefully the storyline can stay on track and there is a plan that doesn't require it to get super crazy. 

I will stick with this one, I think.  I'm interested enough to find out who actually is the terrorist. 

• Love 2

Nimah being the terrorist wouldn't be a cliche, but she would be the most realistic and obvious terrorist, so clearly she could not be the terrorist. Unless the writers know that we would know that she is too obvious a choice to be the terrorist, making her the least obvious choice to be the terrorist, in which case clearly she must be the terrorist. :)

It will turn out that one of the twins is the terrorist.

• Love 2

It wasn't bad for a pilot, but I was hoping for a lot less soapy melodrama.  I did like most of the main characters, but it figures that the one guy who seemed interesting (Mormon guy) would die while the bland, whiny guy (who wasn't a very good actor) lives on.  And I really like Josh Hopkins (especially as a fellow Kentuckian/diehard UK basketball fan), but I thought his acting in this was pretty terrible.  And if I remember correctly, he was a recast, so I wonder how awful the first guy must have been.

All in all, though, there were some twists that interested me, and I thought the lead and car sex guy had chemistry, so I'll check it out again next week.

• Love 4

My one big takeaway after watching the pilot is that it's going to make the FBI look really bad that the recruits have all these secrets that no one in the FBI knew about before they joined the academy.

I thought the FBI knew everything but had left one fact out of their packets as part of the test? Otherwise the two people on each team could have spared 10 minutes to collude and make up something the other could "find out" about them.

I liked the first half but the second wearied me a bit. I'm not necessarily against a season-long arc or two tracks but it make for a herky-jerky pilot. I would have preferred to wait until a couple of episodes in when we know the characters and their motivations better. Still, this was the best/most interesting for me in what's been a lackluster series of new shows so far.

I really enjoyed it. I only lasted 1.5 episodes of HTGAWM, so I don't see many comparisons with that. I also don't really get the GA comparisons, as it didn't really remind me of Grey's.  Maybe I will in later episodes. 

The set-up is pretty obvious.  Someone smart enough to go under in Quantico to do a terrorist attack isn't going to be dumb enough to leave all the evidence in her apartment.  I hope the mystery keeps up.

I guessed the twin secret when the guy (I'm struggling with names this morning) asked about the scarf switching sides it was tied on.

Oh, and I'm sad Dougray Scott isn't going to be in it after all. I really like him.

I was very confused because I thought Nimah was Alex wrapped in a hijab as a disguise, until we saw them together.  I think it was that nonsense about the tickets (clearly Alex's mother thinks she took a train to some sort of college type place that isn't Quantico, not a plane to Quantico), but I just got confused, sidetracked, and irritated wondering what phobia Alex has about trains, or what she knew about trains that her mother didn't.  Plus, in the trainee mug shot wall, having the hijab makes Nimah the most visually prominent person, so I kept thinking they were trying to give me a sightline clue to "the show's lead, who sometimes is devout and sometimes isn't".  Or, maybe the promo was giving me flashes of not-Nimah twin that I wasn't recognizing at the time. 

I'll keep watching though.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

I was very confused because I thought Nimah was Alex wrapped in a hijab as a disguise, until we saw them together.  I think it was that nonsense about the tickets (clearly Alex's mother thinks she took a train to some sort of college type place that isn't Quantico, not a plane to Quantico), but I just got confused, sidetracked, and irritated wondering what phobia Alex has about trains, or what she knew about trains that her mother didn't.  

I'll keep watching though.

All I got was that entering the FBI is supposed to be top secret, perhaps so they can be used undercover should they survive training. So we were introduced to all of the characters lying. Then the entire set up that after all the selection is done we have a go no go reality show challenge to remain in the academy, along with the weapons training for brand new recruits where not all were cops or ex-military was off. I haven't watched any other Shonda verse type shows and this one isn't for me either.

I thought it was pretty entertaining if hokey for a while, but then it really went off the rails at the end. The frame job seemed farfetched and the car chase escape with the Miranda was ridiculous. Even the acting went downhill. I liked the lead actress until that point, but the arrest scene was cringe worthy.

I did like the Quantico scenes and I'm intrigued by the twins, so I'll give this a few more episodes to win me over. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot else on this season anyway.

As for the real terrorist, my pick is the underestimated Shelby. Maybe she's a 9/11 conspiracy theorist trying to avenge her parents or she thinks ultimately it was American policies that lead to their deaths.

• Love 4
I guess he doesn't have to already be an agent, but I made the assumption he was because he was already asked to go under cover. That and he was the star interrogator.

I'm pretty sure the guy referred to him as Agent Booth when telling him he is still his superior. I don't think he'd call him that if he wasn't already an Agent. 

The episode was okay, not great. The first half hour or so sort of dragged a little I thought. However the mystery is interesting enough to keep me watching. Because I'm always here for a good mystery and twists and turns. I'm also not really seeing the huge Grey's Anatomy rip-off so many are commenting on, other than the "anonymous" sex without knowing they would end up working together (and based on his scene with older guy, clearly Booth did know who Alex was) and woman is a student/trainee. Grey's was hardly the first to do this so..."shrug" 

I am seriously wondering if this is a very special Quantico session where they bring in all the applicants that are on some sort of NSA watch list so they can be watched/investigated and the rest of them are undercover.

Maybe I missed it but other than the guy who killed himself, what other significant information did they miss? The whole point of the exercise was for the other recruits to figure out what the FBI knew about the person, that they deliberately didn't put in the file. So for example I'm pretty sure they did know about Simon's Israel trip, blonde girl's parents dying on 9/11, Alex's father being shot. I thought it was strange from the interrogation how the guy seemed to shut it down when Booth was going too deep about Alex's dad and later we learn that he did know the truth about the dad even if Alex thinks they didn't. So I don't think they missed much. 

Nimah and Simon were partially interesting, but only because they gave them some ridiculous secrets: Pretending to be gay? What for?

Wait, Simon is pretending to be gay? I pride myself on paying close attention to these types of shows and somehow I missed this. I know he faked kissed the guy at the start but I just assumed it was because he's mostly a loner and wanted to look like he had a boyfriend back home missing him. But now I guess it makes sense why Nimah pointed out his being a virgin despite four "ex-boyfriends" and why they made a point of the idiot Caleb saying it wasn't in his file and Simon saying that it would be discrimination (which is true). 

I was actually coming here to post that Simon is my number one suspect. Yes the reveal of his Israel trip maybe makes him seem too obvious to some but I'm positive the slightly awkward, comic relief, nerdy persona is a fake. He's proven how whip smart and observant he is and I find it interesting that he's the only one we see in the season promo talking to Alex in present time, telling her that whoever did this had been setting her up from the moment she got to Quantico. It'd be just like a show like this for the guilty person to be the one person she'll trust. If it is him, it will kind of suck because I actually really like him. 

Having a secret twin sister that the FBI doesn't know about? For real?

I think the FBI does know though, but the other recruits don't. As for why she and Simon would have these ridiculous secrets - well maybe they're not so ridiculous and later will become significant to the plot. If Simon is pretending to be gay, my guess again is because it goes back to his pretending to be someone he decidedly isn't, including his sexuality. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

About the whole secret thing, I read an interview with a show runner or producer that the FBI knew the "secret" but it was blacked out from the file for the test. It was up to the newbie to figure it out. This interview about stated It is also not a real FBI thing and was created for the show.

Edited by redsox7819

I thought it was okay. Not amazing but watchable enough. Definitely a little too influenced by Shondaland shows though and not even trying to hide.

I really hope Simon isn't faking being gay. Let him be sexually inexperienced or even bad in bed but let's not fake gay him. I do sort of like the dynamic between him and Nimah.

Speaking of Nimah, the twist with the twin was a nice one.

Alex is a decent enough leading protagonist but I already don't care about her and Ryan though.

Shelby could be the one to watch. Caleb was pretty meh to me. I did like Eric before he killed himself and that revelation.

The terrorist plot I'm not too keen on but I'll keep an open mind though, 7/10

• Love 1

Yeah, my understanding was the FBI knew these secrets but redacted them from the files they gave to the trainees. The assignment was for the trainees to uncover the missing secret.

The only secret the FBI didn't find out about was Agent Elder's Malawi secret. (and boo for making the Morman the unstable one)

The parts of the pilot that confused me are:

1. if Alex was fully vetted by the FBI, why was Agent CarSex assigned to get close to her? Wouldn't the FBI know everything? (which leads me to suspect Agent CougarTown as being part of the terrorist plot)

2. Was Alex saying that her abusive dad was an agent, perhaps working undercover,  since she knew him as a factory worker? or was she saying that abusive dad was not her dad, and her dad was somebody else, who happened to be an FBI agent?

• Love 2

Anyone getting a major vibe of Rowan-Maya-Olivia Pope (Scandal) in that scene when Alex shot her father? Will it be revealed that her mother is actually evil?

I don't know why someone would fake being gay. The only fun scenario I can think of is because Simon is planning to manipulate Rick Cosnett's gay character in the future? Probably to get access or information? Hmm.

The only recruit I'm interested in is Shelby. Then again the rest of the recruits are just bland and blah. Priyanka Chopra is doing a superb job though but I'm not into her character. For now.

I'm pretty sure the guy referred to him as Agent Booth when telling him he is still his superior. I don't think he'd call him that if he wasn't already Agent. 

I thought we were talking about car sex guy in that conversation?

• Love 2

Anyone getting a major vibe of Rowan-Maya-Olivia Pope (Scandal) in that scene when Alex shot her father? Will it be revealed that her mother is actually evil?

I don't know why someone would fake being gay. The only fun scenario I can think of is because Simon is planning to manipulate Rick Cosnett's gay character in the future? Probably to get access or information? Hmm.

The only recruit I'm interested in is Shelby. Then again the rest of the recruits are just bland and blah. Priyanka Chopra is doing a superb job though but I'm not into her character. For now.

Is Simon faking being gay, though? When Shelby started interrogating him and asked if he was gay, Simon brushed the question off and said 'of course' or whatever, implying that he's actually gay. Personally, he'd be much more interesting if he was faking it. But yeah, that first scene with him got me so confused. 

For what I managed to watch, it was just ok.  Since it is the pilot, I'll give it a few more shows, especially since it's being shot in my hometown (Montreal...who knew?) so I can play the "hey I know where that is!" game.

• Love 1

They say it's too confused, the plot is unrealistic, there is too much that is hard to believe.

They say it is too Shonda Rhimes.  Too Grey's Anatomy.

I say it's the best pilot I've seen in the last week, leaving Blindspot, Minority Report, Limitless, Rosewood, Heroes Reborn, and The Player in it's dust for entertainment potential, and looking like my favourite new show for the season.  Is there potential for them to fsck() it up?  Sure.  But if they go on the way they've begun, I will watch and enjoy.  I'll still be watching the others as well (except Rosewood which is the stinkiest poo that was ever pooed) but this is the one that - at least so far - is the best of the bunch.

• Love 12

Of all the new shows out, this was the only one I felt compelled to check out. And ... it was campy, almost over the top with the soapiness, very much influenced by the Shondaland prototype and not even pretending otherwise, had one too many plot twists for a first episode and just about everyone is unrealistically attractive. I'm in. I need some new TV candy, and this looks simultaneously brainless and convoluted enough to be my new fix.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 1

I don't understand the question. Yes, I'm talking about the guy Alex had sex with. The comment I was responding to questioned if he was already an FBI agent pretending to be a recruit as part of his cover to spy on Alex or if he was still a recruit who was just given this assignment. I was saying that the older guy who seemed to put him up to the assignment, called him Agent Booth and he wouldn't call him Agent, I would think, if he wasn't already a fully trained FBI Agent.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I'm definitely enjoying the training scenes at Quantico way more than the present-day terrorist attack scenes.  I'm sure we will continue flashing back and forth in time, but I would have preferred if we were shown that Alex was the number one suspect for the attack, and then flashed back full-time to the recruiting process at Quantico.

Thought that the Morman guy was far more interesting than the blonde guy who basically bullied him into committing suicide (imdb tells me his name is Caleb).  Yeah, Caleb will definitely be an asset in the future when he's trying to interrogate some important info out of a suspect. Dead suspects don't talk...  

Alex said that she was a suspect from day one.  Is this why the one night stand guy is getting close to her?  If so, I find it a bit odd that each new recruit doesn't have an undercover agent attached to them, reporting info back to the FBI.  I am wondering if Nimah is working undercover, though, because the whole twin thing (which Miranda seems to know about) is bizarre.

If I had to guess who the terrorist is at this point, I would say Shelby.  Maybe her motivation is that she's pissed at the government because she feels like they should have done something to prevent 9/11 (thus, her parents would still be alive). OR maybe her parents were really horrible awful people into some super bad stuff, so she's happy they are dead, and she became an easy target for the terrorists to recruit.  Yes, this is ridiculous, but I think whatever explanation we get is going to be ridiculous, so...

Or maybe the guy from Cougar Town is the terrorist, and he was the one responsible for the tip saying that it would be one of the recruits.  He doesn't seem too happy with his job, so maybe he actually committed a terrorist attack, set Alex up, and plans on being the guy who solves the case.  He'd get plenty of recognition from the FBI, probably a promotion as well.

• Love 2

Yes. When CarSex (Agent Booth) met Cougar Town in the woods, TruthaboutLuv pointed out that Cougar Town addressed CarSex as "Agent Booth." Which, we think, means he is already a full fledged FBI agent, put undercover in the academy to keep tabs on Bollywood. (Assuming. But Truth makes a point that Cougar Town would probably address Booth (CarSex) as "Candidate" or something, not "Agent," if he was not already a fully-trained agent.)

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

When CarSex and CougarTown met on the jogging path, CarSex talked about not liking being under cover investigating her. He also said that he maneuvered to sit next to her on the plane and made sure he got her file to investigate. Actually, I guess he doesn't have to already be an agent, but I made the assumption he was because he was already asked to go under cover. That and he was the star interrogator.

I'm pretty sure CougarTown called CarSex 'Agent Booth'.

This is the best pilot of the season so far for me. I mean there's nothing new or surprising about the set up, but it kept me entertained for 42 minutes. I don't ask for anything.

Actually that's not true, I like added pretty, and boy does this show bring that. And I have Rick Cosnett and Jacob Artist to look forward to.

One thing I will criticise is that although they have a diverse bunch of women among the recruits, we have only white men. In fact the interrogator in the flash forward was the only man of colour on screen.

• Love 3

It will turn out that one of the twins is the terrorist.

I suspected that, as well, but I also wondered if one or both of them were undercover for another agency, tracking another FBI recruit, as someone just mentioned above.

I also wondered about the blonde girl.

I liked Hopkins as Agent O'Connor (Agent CougarTown) fine, except that his conflict with Miranda the ex-girlfriend and current boss was played so heavily that it seemed clear to me that Agent CougarTown and She'sTheBoss Miranda will be on opposite sides of the Agent Alex On The Run plan. I don't think "Liam! Liam!" was faking his distrust of Agent Alex at all. Although when Alex was confessing her real secret to him it seemed like the FBI had no idea about her having shot her father; and it also seemed that Hopkins' eyes were so teeny and shocked that I couldn't help thinking "Wow, he really is Agent Dime Eyes!"

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

This did seem very How to Get Away With Murder:Quantico,  but I liked it. I'm very interested in seeing what happens with Nimah 1 and Nimah 2. I like the lead chick, not impressed with the dude she hooked up with, wish they would have kept the Morman dude. And what in the world were with the horrible outfits that Miranda had on?!

I found myself disliking Caleb strongly for some reason, and then I realized it's because I only know the actor from Revolution as Danny, and I apparently have a lot of residual hate for that character.  In my defense, Danny was the worst...

No, not Danny! I didn't like Caleb anyway now there is no chance I ever will. Thanks Revolution...

Edited by miracole
  • Love 1

Forgives if I missed this in an earlier post:

If Agent Elder-Mormon-pedophile/statutory rapist is dead from a bullet to the head, why on EARTH was his pic on the POI wall at bombing command center?

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 11

Thought that the Morman guy was far more interesting than the blonde guy who basically bullied him into committing suicide (imdb tells me his name is Caleb).  Yeah, Caleb will definitely be an asset in the future when he's trying to interrogate some important info out of a suspect. Dead suspects don't talk...

Caleb was definitely a jerk to the guy, but he had no way of knowing that the secret he was assigned to discover was that level. And I would think that most suspects wouldn't have access to a gun in the interrogation room.

If Agent Elder-Morman-pedophile/statutory rapist is dead from a bullet to the head, why on EARTH was his pic on the POI wall at bombing command center?

That could be one of three reasons:

1. He's not really dead. He totally walked off that injury and he'll be around before the finale, duh.

2. The FBI know more than what they lead on; Mormon's death was a test but he's not really dead

3. The prop department screwed up.

I'm going with number three. But I guess, a fourth reason, is that they wanted his death halfway through to be a surprise, but....he literally died not long after we first see the board so....just a mistake, most likely.

• Love 2

There is some long game at play, centering on Alex's father, I would guess. Whether that leads directly to the terrorist in the Academy class and that person having blown up Grand Central may not be clear for years. I think it would be a hoot if the entire training class were made up of undercover agents running Operation Alex Parrish. Elder Eric could have been a capable agent who just unraveled when he thought Caleb had unearthed his big secret the FBI hadn't discovered. For all his ineptitude, Caleb is the son of two agents and could be more of an insider than was apparent.

• Love 1

Caleb was definitely a jerk to the guy, but he had no way of knowing that the secret he was assigned to discover was that level. And I would think that most suspects wouldn't have access to a gun in the interrogation room.

Also, I'm not sure Caleb did discover that secret. I think he was actually bluffing just to mess with the guy, considering the FBI vetting team didn't even find out. Mormon guy was just very paranoid already and worried about the secret coming out and with Caleb's constant taunts, he snapped. 

That could be one of three reasons:

1. He's not really dead. He totally walked off that injury and he'll be around before the finale, duh.

2. The FBI know more than what they lead on; Mormon's death was a test but he's not really dead

3. The prop department screwed up.

Or maybe even despite his death, something about that was said or done by him or with him when he was still alive will be relevant. The guy did keep telling Alex to go through everything that happened from the very first day she got to Quantico.

Edited by truthaboutluv

If Agent Elder-Morman-pedophile/statutory rapist is dead from a bullet to the head, why on EARTH was his pic on the POI wall at bombing command center?

Ha, I forgot about that.  When Alex was being questioned after the terrorist attack, I think she said something like "You know what happened" when she was shown his picture.  I was thinking well, it must not have been so bad if the guy is still in the FBI.  Wrong!  I guess the picture was only on the wall so we wouldn't be tipped off so soon that he was no longer an FBI recruit.  

Also, aren't FBI agents supposed to be able to read people?  Nobody noticed that the Morman guy was becoming more and more distraught and was going to snap?  Fail!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

Also, I'm not sure Caleb did discover that secret. I think he was actually bluffing just to mess with the guy, considering the FBI vetting team didn't even find out. Mormon guy was just very paranoid already and worried about the secret coming out and with Caleb's constant taunts, he snapped.

I think Caleb didn't discover it, I agree. I was just saying that I don't think Caleb's techniques were the reason for the guy's suicide. I think he was already at his breaking point with his guilt and fear of being found out.

The part of the show I thought was really ridiculous, was Alex's catwalk-model walk at the end, when she was trying to blend into the crowd with the FBI hat and uniform on. I know they were probably going for dramatic but the way she was strutting, hair flowing under the cap, just cracked me up. Because who looks like that as they try to run away and officially are a fugitive from the FBI for a charge of terrorism.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

Bummed that Mormon guy died. I found him the most interesting of the recruits. Overall it was entertaining and I'm a sucker for a whodunnit. The training scenes made me think of that old Rebecca De Mornay movie Feds which probably sounds like a huge insult but I loved that movie as a kid.

Oh and I wish there weren't so many white male characters. I'm going to have a hard time telling them apart all season.

• Love 1

The part of the show I thought was really ridiculous, was Alex's catwalk-model walk at the end, when she was trying to blend off into the crowd with the FBI had and uniform on. I know they were probably going for dramatic but the way she was strutting, hair flowing under the cap just cracked me up because who looks like that as they try to run away and officially are a fugitive from the FBI for a charge of terrorism.

What I thought was ridiculous is that she was decked out in FBI gear walking AWAY from where all the other FBI agents were running towards.  That would've gotten at least ONE of the other agent's attention!

I also thought the car chase with the van was ridiculous.  There was no way she was outrunning anything in that getup.  Plus, how the hell did Alex escape?  I know that we as the viewers couldn't have seen Alex get away because of the camera angle, but there were agents all over.  There was no way she was climbing out of that van without a ton of people seeing her.  

• Love 5

Huh. So thats what it would look like it How to Get Away With Murder and Homeland had a really pretty baby. 

In all seriousness, I liked this a lot more than I expected to. The pacing was pretty good, and I am actually pretty interested by the characters and the overarching mystery. I assume we will know who the real terrorist is by the end of the season, and the next season is trying to catch them? Or something? 

The real terrorist is the guy the main woman slept with, I`m calling it. 

I wish Will from Sense8 had survived. I love the actor, and I thought he was the most interesting of the male characters (although I am interested in what Simons deal is, I do not think he`s faking being gay, but he seems to have some weird stuff going on, if his first scene is any indication). I wish dickhead blond guy (Caleb?) was gone instead. I`m assuming he`s still going to be around, even if its looks like he was (rightfully) cut from the program. Damn it.

Alex seems like a pretty solid lead, and the actress (who`s name escapes me, but I know I have seen in a few Indian movies) is very charismatic and fun to watch. 

Surprisingly one of the better pilots of the year, I thought. Room for improvement, but not a bad start. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

The part of the show I thought was really ridiculous, was Alex's catwalk-model walk at the end, when she was trying to blend off into the crowd with the FBI had and uniform on. I know they were probably going for dramatic but the way she was strutting, hair flowing under the cap just cracked me up because who looks like that as they try to run away and officially are a fugitive from the FBI for a charge of terrorism.

Her post-bomb look included mostly intact perfect make-up with a few streaks of cheek-highlighting dirt.  She's just ridiculously beautiful, so I guess they've made the creative choice to only ever dirty her up artistically. 

• Love 6