Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Run

This is one of the new shows I'm most looking forward to this year. Not because they have such a gorgeous cast.... Okay, I lied, 70% because the cast looked like they're cast straight from model agency. And 30% because I'm a sucker for "whodunit" formula.

• Love 3

This is one of the new shows I'm most looking forward to this year. Not because they have such a gorgeous cast.... Okay, I lied, 70% because the cast looked like they're cast straight from model agency. And 30% because I'm a sucker for "whodunit" formula.

Same here and even more so since the season so far has been either lukewarm and/or disappointing for me when compared to last season.

• Love 1

So the FBI thinks that Alex dropped herself into the middle of the blast zone to make herself look like a victim (despite making no attempt to make herself look like she had been in the middle of a blast), but left a living witness and an apartment full of incriminating evidence?

• Love 14

So the FBI thinks that Alex dropped herself into the middle of the blast zone to make herself look like a victim (despite making no attempt to make herself look like she had been in the middle of a blast), but left a living witness and an apartment full of incriminating evidence?

It was obviously a set up, she wouldn't have left incriminating evidence in her apartment or stay at the blast site, she would've already been long gone.

• Love 2

I'd give the show a lot of credit if they had us follow Alex as the main character being framed for much of the season, only to reveal down the road that she really is the terrorist.  But then she'd be a pretty dumb terrorist what with leaving the evidence in her apartment.

I feel like it's trying really hard to be like How to Get Away With Murder.  But that's a pretty entertaining show, so it's not the worse thing to imitate.  I thought it was entertaining, and most of the characters seem interesting enough to see more of.

• Love 6

Wait, is Nimah really twins? I didn't understand the plot twist. 

And the way Nimah spat "Zionist" and "Jew" made me very nervous for Simon. I don't think she's the terrorist (that would be too cliche) but it definitely made me think he should watch his back. 

And the going to Gaza thing isn't actually unheard of. A gay Jewish doctor went there to volunteer, and nothing happened. 

Edited by dungeonwriter

It wasn't bad, but I was expecting more politics and less soapiness since all the reviews have been stellar.  There was a real Shonda Rimes type vibe to the show, which isn't necessary.  

I wasn't really impressed with any of the recruits except for Nimah and Simon.  I figured Simon's big secret would be was that he wasn't gay.  I did think the twin sister thing was clever for Nimah, because it will keep people out of her room.  

Not loving the whodunit gimmick either.  So tired of shows relying on gimmicks to keep viewers watching.  If the show is good enough, there doesn't have to be some huge cliffhanger to bring viewers back, but I guess that's considered old school now.

And wow, what was Aunjanue Ellis wearing?  The whole ensemble just made my eyes hurt.

• Love 2

I guess? I actually had that thought when the guy was asking her about tying her thing back on different sides and being ambidextrous, because it reminded me of a book I read as a kid where no one understands why the new girl in school sometimes liked to play with the class pets and sometimes was afraid of them.  But that was a kids' book.  I'm curious how she/they'll pull this off at the FBI. 

• Love 1

Wait, is Nimah really twins?

Oooh! I missed that (I came in late and was trying to catch up quick), that would explain a lot. Like the hot/cold vibe towards others and pauses in conversation. But how would you be able to get an extra person into Quantico?

• Love 4

But that was a kids' book.  I'm curious how she/they'll pull this off at the FBI. 

I'll have to rewatch, because I missed a bit of dialogue between the two of them in their scene, but I almost wondered if maybe the folks in charge knew about this? Sort of a 'let's see how this plays out if there are two identical twins - will anyone catch on?'

I had it figured out when Simon saw the one sister in the room, and then the other a few minutes later and asked how she got there so fast. Not that I'm brilliant or anything, but it seemed kind of obvious to me at that point. Go me! I should go to Quantico! But then I'd miss all my tv shows...

• Love 18

Good thing no one tried to break into Nimah's room to try and find her secret. It's really interesting that she got her own room out of it.

I'm disappointed by the Morman's storyline. And that all the males recruits we're following are white.

I really hate the flashback trope. Why are shows using them so much (I might be bitter that Once Upon a Time is still using them).

• Love 8

I like the premise and am curious where it is going.  I am not so much bothered that they all look like supermodels but the fact that they are all posing and hair tossing like supermodels.killed any belief that this is a show to be taken seriously.  I'll give it a few more episodes but I am a bit disappointed.

• Love 5

My one big takeaway after watching the pilot is that it's going to make the FBI look really bad that the recruits have all these secrets that no one in the FBI knew about before they joined the academy.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 17

I'm disappointed by the Morman's storyline. And that all the males recruits we're following are white.

I was, too.  Not ignoring what he did in Malawi, but Eric was more interesting than Caleb-the-asshole.  I didn't care for his sob story in the end, he was still a jerk. The only saving grace from that plot is if Caleb doesn't return.

• Love 1

There was one too many cryptic conversations between Agent Cougar Town and the agent interviewing Alex after the attack.  Add to that the instructor from Quantico aiding her to escape.  This whole thing is a set up and they wanted her to run.  I bet they set up her apartment with bomb making devices and Booth was playing possum not dead.  I don't think they are behind the attack but I think they know someone is framing Alex and set her up to run to find out who it is.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

Agent Cougar Town, heh. At least Anthony Ruivivar's not playing Agent Redshirt again.

I liked the fact that Simon picked up on the clues about Nimah being "ambidextrous," and, at least subconsciously, being two different people "Nimah or Meanah." And the twins seem to be operating with the Assistant Director's approval or direction ("Miranda said you this time.") -- which is weird.

• Love 6

I like the premise and am curious where it is going.  I am not so much bothered that they all look like supermodels but the fact that they are all posing and hair tossing like supermodels.killed any belief that this is a show to be taken seriously.  I'll give it a few more episodes but I am a bit disappointed.

Agreed - it's like watching people who know full well they are a 10 and walk around full of their beauty. Every time a character walked by glass I expected a pouty glance at their reflection. Especially blonde ponytail. Feh.

• Love 4

I liked the fact that Simon picked up on the clues about Nimah being "ambidextrous," and, at least subconsciously, being two different people "Nimah or Meanah." And the twins seem to be operating with the Assistant Director's approval or direction ("Miranda said you this time.") -- which is weird.

AH, thank you for that. I followed that there were two of them and switching roles, but missed that Agent Mrs Sam Hanna was "Miranda" and the one who told them who should attend class. I'm intrigued about the end game for that storyline. 

I watch a LOT of tv, and was surprised by 1. Agent CarSex and Agent CougarTown (tm Paradox) working undercover and CarSex already an agent; 2. Twins; 3. I thought Miranda must have died since Agent CougarTown was being addressed as Assistant Director at the scene - but no, just on the run...? can't wait for that backstory 4. Dead Agent CarSex and 5. Something dirty, I inferred, between Agent CougarTown and Agent Bollywood (perhaps I need to learn the characters names.) I very much noticed that as she was being led out in handcuffs she addressed him as "Liam! Liam!"  hmmm Do I need to turn in my TV card? (I did at least immediately realize that she had shot her father, not her mother.)

I liked the blonde girl. Shelby?

The Grand Central smoking pit of rubble is going to haunt me for a bit. 

• Love 7
... 1. Agent CarSex and Agent CougarTown (tm Paradox) working undercover and CarSex already an agent; ... 4. Dead Agent CarSex and 5. Something dirty, I inferred, between Agent CougarTown and Agent Bollywood (perhaps I need to learn the characters names.)

Or not. Your way's fun. Also: Agent Shelby was sixteen on 9/11? ::sigh:: I'm old.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

And if that's not enough to convince you: do it for Chopra's eyebrows. For Graham Rogers's abs. And for the idea of gawking at the good guys as they deceitfully go about (eventually) catching the bad guys

Don't forget Jake's eyelashes.

• Love 2

The Shonda Rhimes playbook has been enormously successful for ABC and if there is one thing TV shows do, it's imitate what has worked on another show.

I think Alex is being set up for reals and only Miranda has figured it out because that makes a better story.

So far, while not great, it's better than a number of other new shows so I'll stick around for a while.  I liked the twin twist but hated that the Mormon shot himself.  In fact, the stupidest thing about the show for me is the elimination of so many people.  It's an arbitrary number, why would you lose potentially good people just because you've set a stupid baseline?  They could end up better than some of the people you keep.

Who was the actor who played the agent interrogating Alex after the bombing?  He looked so familiar.

When does Rick Cosnett arrive?  I miss his voice.

• Love 3
I followed that there were two of them and switching roles, but missed that Agent Mrs Sam Hanna was "Miranda" and the one who told them who should attend class. I'm intrigued about the end game for that storyline.

Thank you. It was bothering me who where I had seen her before.

Also, was Alex's dad an FBI agent or just working with one? I am a tad confused on that. The two recaps I read did not clarify that. One said her dad, EW and the other, TvLine said working with an FBI agent.

When does Rick Cosnett arrive?  I miss his voice.

Next week.

Edited by redsox7819

I liked all of the storyline of them arriving at Quantico and beginning their training, but the "present day" piece of it did not seem authentic in any way.

Why did they already have the pictures of everyone in her class on a board? If they "knew" it was Agent whats her name, why were they stalling? Why did they insist she remember each person's secret?  Why did one of the instructors steal the van to set her free? That whole sequence was like watching a dream where people you know keep popping up while a bunch of random things happen that don't make any sense.  I kept thinking they were going to cut away and show that it was some elaborate simulation or training exercise.

I wish we could just go back to Quantico and hang out while they do their training and that's where the story happens. It feels like we skipped over what could have been a lot of good stuff to get to whats-her-name on the run. 

• Love 11

Thanks redsox7819.

I think we're supposed to be in the dark about Alex's dad whether he's a good guy or a bad one.  I bet what he was accusing Alex's mother of was not infidelity, which was the obvious choice, but treason.

• Love 1

There is always this tweet too.

Henry Goldblatt ‏@HenryGoldblatt 1h1 hour ago

Alex=Meredith
Nimah=Christina
Shelby=Izzie
Simon=George
Caleb=Alex
Ryan=McDreamy
#Quantico #GreysAnatomy

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 9

Who was the actor who played the agent interrogating Alex after the bombing?  He looked so familiar.

Anthony Ruivivar. Played a paramedic on Third Watch and last season played the baddie who

killed Danny's brother

on H50. He also was in a few eps of Southland and Major Crimes. Basically if you like a cop show, you've seen him at least once.

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 6

I think Ruivivar's played FBI a few times before -- at least once that I'm sure of, as Agent Borges on Traveller.

I wish we could just go back to Quantico and hang out while they do their training and that's where the story happens. It feels like we skipped over what could have been a lot of good stuff to get to whats-her-name on the run.

I imagine the two-track structure is here to stay. We will likely see more of their time at Quantico -- it's right there in the name, after all.

• Love 1

Thank you. My google skills failed me. Is it wrong that I remember him for both Beauty and the Beast and Southland? Two shows that could not be any different if they tried! One is awful and the other was AMAZING!

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 1

Geez, Asshole Caleb really can't act very well. I know he's not gone, but...damn, I wish he was. We don't need a Pretty Boy who gets redeemed.

I liked most of the characters. I'm not loving any of them yet, though. I like Priyanka Chopra; I've been watching some of her Bollywood films and I really like how she's the lead, but that just means I'm not going to like her as much as some of the supporting characters. Shelby and Nimah/twin for one.

All the guys are boring. I don't like Simon much, I don't like Pretty Undercover Boy, and I don't know if I like Agent Cougar Town. But yeah, whoever said that this show is definitely Shonda-esque (I see it as a Grey's Anatomy meets Criminal Minds, but more Greys) is absolutely on the money.

I'd love to be surprised at who the real terrorist is. Which means it's for sure not Alex, Miranda or Nimah, just because they'd be the three most obvious culprits. It's probably not Undercover Pretty, which leaves every other main character (Shelby, Simon, Caleb, Agent Cougar Town). Or, our luck, it's a recurring character that we haven't met yet. But I do think they'll go with a Caucasian person, just because it would be 'shocking', as well as trying to avoid anything racist. Or maybe they won't do that. What do I know? My bets is on Agent Cougar Town or Shelby. Agent Cougar Town because he's not on the board since he's not a recruit, and Shelby because I like her so far but she's surprisingly bland. 

Heh. Alex's dad seems to be a bad guy, but because this is television and they like to shock us, I'd laugh if her mom turns out to be part of a terrorist group and that's why Alex's dad was attacking her. Not that I was paying attention to their dialogue in that scenario at all.

Personally, I'd find it a twist if Miranda and Agent Cougar Town happened to be working together in framing Alex because they want her to lead them to the real terrorist (*insert one of the recruits here*). I'd personally like for it to be Caleb, just because.

• Love 2

I'll admit that I found this to be better then most so far this admittedly weak pilot season so far, mainly because it wasn't another variation of "solving crimes before they happen!" theme, that seems to be plaguing this fall.  It does seem to have a shit-ton of similarities to Grey's Anatomy (a show I gave up on after the first season), but at least there is shooting and explosions in this one. And hopefully there will be no "behind the scenes" egos, drama, homophobia, etc....

The cast is very good-looking, to say the least.  I mean, Aunjanue Ellis and Agent Cougar Town are more or less the "old people", in this particular group.  Won't lie, it works for me.  Priyanka Chopra certainly is gorgeous, and Johanna Braddy and Yasmine Al Massri are right up there with her (and Yasmine will be playing two characters!)

I found myself disliking Caleb strongly for some reason, and then I realized it's because I only know the actor from Revolution as Danny, and I apparently have a lot of residual hate for that character.  In my defense, Danny was the worst...

Bummed with what they did to the Mormon/Will from Sense8 trainee.  Found him way more interesting then some of the other characters.

Also not sure I'm going to be a fan of the present stuff just being a knock-off of The Fugitive, with Alex being framed and having to prove her innocence.  The flashback stuff is more fun.

• Love 7

And the way Nimah spat "Zionist" and "Jew" made me very nervous for Simon. I don't think she's the terrorist (that would be too cliche) but it definitely made me think he should watch his back.

And the going to Gaza thing isn't actually unheard of. A gay Jewish doctor went there to volunteer, and nothing happened.

Nimah being the terrorist wouldn't be a cliche, but she would be the most realistic and obvious terrorist, so clearly she could not be the terrorist. Unless the writers know that we would know that she is too obvious a choice to be the terrorist, making her the least obvious choice to be the terrorist, in which case clearly she must be the terrorist. :) Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 12

1. No name sex during cold open
  2. uncomfortable work situation between sex participants (see: Grey's Anatomy, Season 1, Episode 1)
  3. impossibly beautiful people "surprising" co-workers with their intelligence
  4. smart-ass female lead who wears her heart on her sleeve
  5. so much arrogance it's like a vapor cloud
  6. supervisors/bosses having/had inappropriate relationship
  7. everyone's got a secret
  8. shocking death
  9. misunderstood loyalties
  10. shirtless man candy

I was checking them off as they happened, too. They have her set up as Meredith, and Angel Spawn as McDreamy, but she reminded me of Izzie in both looks and personality. 

• Love 1

I'd give the show a lot of credit if they had us follow Alex as the main character being framed for much of the season, only to reveal down the road that she really is the terrorist.  

Ah, the No Way Out approach.

This version of the FBI really has the Worst. Screening. Ever. Absolutely everyone has a life-altering secret?

• Love 8

I was also expecting the soapiness, since it was marketed as Grey's Academy, and I liked the episode. I just wasn't expecting an almost exact replica. 

I thought the ending pointed to the boss, but I wonder if one of the twins could be a terrorist, and the other one in the dark? I wonder why they didn't apply together. They're probably both innocent, and each good at different things. 

I wonder what happened in Malawi. 

I didn't even catch on to the twins part . I knew something had to be gping on there since Nimah was the only one without a roommate.

There is always this tweet too.

Wait, does this mean Miranda=Miranda? Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 4

True confession: Purely gave it a try to support the South Asian lead (what up, Priyanka. Girl, go get it). But, it was a winner in our house. I like the premise & I want to know more about these characters, even the slightly annoying ones. I don't mind the flashback method , but the overt scene showing Alex's bombers r us apartment was a bit dumb.

My biggest issue for me is really about the longevity. They solve the who dunnit, then what? I don't know if that should be my thoughts directly after the pilot. Shrug. Eye candy & supporting a fellow desi is good enough for now.

• Love 6

Teen Alex had no accent. Guess she must've picked up her accent when sent to Mumbai for those ten years after shooting her father.

Alex's adult character starts off the series as highly perceptive and cocky, so no doubt she'll take care of herself in this conspiracy. The writers should avoid her playing the 'woe is me' victim and instead have her go on a take charge, kick ass attack.

In this first episode, I was most interested in Nimah's character even before the twins reveal. She seemed like a character to root for. That gas station scene where she buys an American flag keychain in order to use the bathroom was great. Look forward to finding out more about the twins.

• Love 1

I checked out this show on a whim and I'm pretty interested.....so far. It has a Nikita-esque feel to it with a hint of "Pretty Little Liars." Solid story, acting and characters.

Not only is Priyanka Chopra really pretty, but she's pretty believable as an FBI agent. I love her spunk and her confidence in the beginning of the episode and her interaction with Booth. She's a woman on a mission with a dark history. Did anyone catch what was in that Ziploc bag? I thought it may have been her father's agent badge but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised they killed off an agent that quick but it was a good twist. Hopefully the other episodes' get just as twisty. I think Liam is a red herring. The show made him too obvious.

Overall good diverse characters. You have the tough confident MC (Alex), the lover interest (Ryan), the comic relief (Simon), the pretty boy (Caleb), the secretive one (Nimah) and the friendnemy (Shelby).

• Love 1

Nimah being the terrorist wouldn't be a cliche, but she would be the most realistic and obvious terrorist, so clearly she could not be the terrorist. Unless the writers know that we would know that she is too obvious a choice to be the terrorist, making her the least obvious choice to be the terrorist, in which case clearly she must be the terrorist. :)

You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool!

:-)

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 12

Why did they already have the pictures of everyone in her class on a board? If they "knew" it was Agent whats her name, why were they stalling? Why did they insist she remember each person's secret?  Why did one of the instructors steal the van to set her free? That whole sequence was like watching a dream where people you know keep popping up while a bunch of random things happen that don't make any sense.  I kept thinking they were going to cut away and show that it was some elaborate simulation or training exercise.

Probably to fill her apartment with bombs and other incriminating evidence.

I enjoyed the show. Of course, I was also a Grey's fan, in the earlier seasons.

The first thing I noticed was how it resembled "How To Get Away With Murder". I assume, like that show, that each season will bring along a new season long who dun it.

How do we know Agent Car Sex (thanks Betsyboo) is already an agent? I must have missed that part.

• Love 1