Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Awakening / S01.E02: Odessa

MarkHB

By Jove, that's a ton of really good questions, otto

This.  And what with the 'World of War...... err, Evernow' layout mimicking downtown Tokyo, how did Ren never notice that before if he's a top-notch player ?  Has Miko ever played Evernow before ?  Or did she just sit at home all day looking forlornly down that hallway to that secret room ?  

She also made paper cranes, listened to pop music, and constantly forgot to lock her door, thank you very much!

• Love 2

I just can't wrap my head around why people automatically assumed EVOs were the ones who would destroy what was essentially a celebration-of-evos rally?

Also, can't Claire regenerate from just about any damage? Why does her dad automatically assume she died?

I enjoyed the show quite a bit, but I'm having a hard time accepting some of the very basic plot points.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 9

Must be me, but a brand new best friend you got because he thinks you disappeared his nasty stepdad is by far the most interesting thing about the show. It's the young alcoholic war hero that's both too cliche and doesn't really have any where to go. Runner up for second most interesting is the young family that kills together to stay together, but it's not at all clear where they can really go with that once they've explored the angst and the divorce.

• Love 1

Maybe the Haitian wiped away HRG's knowledge that his daughter is essentially indestructible along with all previous knowledge of his son.

The storyline I zoned-out most during was the East LA/wrestler one. I just can't get into that one for some reason. (Not that all the rest are great.)

• Love 1

Zach Levi and his wife were, up to a year ago, regular people so I don't buy that they'd be able to walk around and execute groups of powered folks without much trouble. Once the mutants (excuse me, evos) figure out what's going on they could easily set a trap with their evos anonymous meetings.

That was a pretty poor performance by the group who died. Not the Flash kind of ran in circles, then Mr. Fire didn't press the attack until after Zach picked up the fire extinguisher.

• Love 3

That said, if you're going to borrow, borrow from good material.  That's why the promotional line about "ONLY…THEIR…FRIENDSHIP…CAN…SAVE…US" was too off (it was like an X-Men/My Little Pony crossover…which, no thank you.)

LOL.  Actually I think that would be a huge improvement to this show, to the Evernow segment especially.

I watched, and I'll watch for a while, since I like a lot of the cast members, but I expect bad things here in terms of the storytelling.  Nothing about this pilot made me feel they'd learned their lessons from the fuckup that was all of Heroes after season one.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I wonder if Noah Bennett/HRG guy survived the explosion because just before it happened, Claire hugged him to protect him, and he was mind-wiped to think she was dead and not living in Nashville under an assumed name.

Hahahaha... thanks. *g*

Laughter aside; the only reason Noah would sacrifice ANY part of himself- including memory- would be in an effort to help Claire. Further spec going elsewhere...

I wanted to love this. I really did. As much as I love genre shows, I was never fully a Heroes fan because I literally hate a plot that requires a hundred different characters in a hundred different situations coming together on the thinnest of circumstances to get audiences to say "oooooo... neat." I thought that maybe, because of the proposed shortened execution, this would narrow down the characters in play to make a focused purposeful story.

That was kind of stupid of me, eh?

It would have been stellar had the writers-- I'm lookin' at you, Kring- recognized that the audience for this property has an average IQ higher than the Fahrenheit temperature on a September day. We didn't need Luke to blather his entire exposition during his first speaking scene. Didn't need exhaustive drivel of Carlos's brother handing over his hero/Mexican wrestler mantle and dying in Carlos's arms (was there anyone that didn't peg Carlos's brother as the often tagged wrestler guy?). Didn't need a trite stereotyped bully boyfriend to harass Tommy. We didn't even need the brief exposition scenes giving us a timeline between Odessa and the present. Shots of spinning newspaper front pages/headlines would have been just as original and effective.   

I love Jack Coleman. I'll be back for him until there's another genre show premiere on Thursdays and then I'll watch the recording over the weekend.

I hope future episodes show that they bring this random mess together. Quick.

Also, can't Claire regenerate from just about any damage? Why does her dad automatically assume she died?

IIRC, Claire was not immune to brain stem injury (wasn't there an ep with something stuck in her neck that she didn't revive from until someone removed it?) So, if she is in fact dead, beheading would be the likely cause. Which does happen in large explosions.

I almost didn't record this because I'd loved Heroes in the beginning and then hated it by the end. And am not usually much of a reboot fan. But I did, and I must say, I was surprised to find myself drawn in again. I was sad to see the Haitian go so quickly - but penny for your thoughts guy serves pretty much the same function, and I like that actor as well.

This time around, though, I'm not going to get as emotionally invested. I'll watch it while it entertains me.

I had to laugh that the "limited commercial interruptions" were only limited during the first half hour, and then they were every other scene. But that's what fast forward is for.

• Love 1

(I don't know what her name is, but she's totally in the same vein as that chick from OUAT that was engaged to Neal and was all about killing magical creatures for no reason we ever learn).

I actually looked to see if it was the same actress.  :)

The Japanese characters were isolated from the rest of the storyline in Original Sauce Heroes, so I don't have a problem with them not interacting with the others yet.  And it looked at the end, when Miko fought the RL guards, that she doesn't have to be in the game to do her hero stuff.

Did we ever hear Noah's fiancee's name?

It's the young alcoholic war hero that's both too cliche and doesn't really have any where to go.

He's going to become the new El Vengador, and help the Underground Railway and the priest (who I don't expect to live much longer), that's going to be a lot of story.

• Love 2

It looked cool, but what happens if other people inhale him or he gets sucked into a vacuum cleaner or caught in a windstorm when he turns back into human ?  How does that work ?

That's the thing - even in its original incarnation, this show seemed more interested in showing us powers that looked "cool" than explaining what the hell they'd ever be good for. I mean, the Japanese video game thing is really stupid. But I can imagine Tim Kring thinking how cool it would be even if it doesn't make any sense or advance the plot. I remember thinking the same thing about Nikki back in Season 1 (was that her name?) - the woman with the alter-ego in the mirror. That seemed like a pretty damn useless power to me. But, it looked "cool" I suppose and that's really more important to the show, it would seem.

I for one was never all that enamored with Noah Bennet/HRG but I suppose the continuity is nice. And I couldn't stand the sight of Pan in OUaT so I'm not exactly thrilled with seeing the actor on this show, Yet the teenager storyline is probably the most compelling at the moment. 

How many episodes is this show supposed to be? I keep seeing where it's supposed to be a "limited" series.

I mean, the Japanese video game thing is really stupid.

There was the guy from "Who Wants to be a Superhero" who's (imaginary) power was that he could borrow the powers of the character from any video game.  That seemed much more useful to me.  

• Love 1

Curious question about that sheet of Evos that Quentin found -- it's dated June 13, 2014 -- the day of the explosion.

See, that's what I meant in my earlier post. Revenge-fueled Mom is like " We have all these Evo bitches' home address! This'll be easy!"  I was sitting there going, " It's been a year and they are actively being hunted by various groups for various reasons. Shut up."  What worries me is that they'll find nice folks, who have neighbors who trust and care for them, and these two will find them at the year-old list's address and kill the damn neighborhood. I get that the couple are supposed to be the villains, or two of them, but ... even for this show, it's a creepy, ugly place. I know, we have to have darkness to appreciate the light, but there was so much on-screen death and off-screen death, and these two contributing to a chunk of it. 

Once the mutants (excuse me, evos) figure out what's going on they could easily set a trap with their evos anonymous meetings.

How was Luke able to get a secret password? The sheet of paper literally had nothing on it to give "cockroach" any context. Also, since you didn't show it to anyone, keeping it seems dangerous. (I am presuming that Luke/ Mrs. Luke killed the Evolved person to get that paper, actually. It's their MO:Kill, find a dribble of some wisp of a clue, move on to killing other folks.)

One of the strangely pretty /unusual shots of the night was the purple flower ending up in the Maple Pecan (?) ice cream tub. The frost over it, the flower just at the edge of the tub; it was pretty and a little thrilling. Still, I kept mentally urging them to take the flower out as they talked; no need to waste good ice cream due to not-understood teleportation powers!

• Love 2

IIRC, Claire was not immune to brain stem injury (wasn't there an ep with something stuck in her neck that she didn't revive from until someone removed it?) So, if she is in fact dead, beheading would be the likely cause. Which does happen in large explosions.

That was early in the first season and later thrown away, going so far as to have Sylar comment that he couldn't kill her if he wanted to (as he was figuring out how to duplicate her power). We saw enough examples to suggest he was right, which can be explained as her power developing over time.

One of the strangely pretty /unusual shots of the night was the purple flower ending up in the Maple Pecan (?) ice cream tub. The frost over it, the flower just at the edge of the tub; it was pretty and a little thrilling. Still, I kept mentally urging them to take the flower out as they talked; no need to waste good ice cream due to not-understood teleportation powers!

The flower was in the tub of Maple Walnut ice cream.  There was a tub of Butter Pecan right beside it.  By the way, the tub of Butter Pecan ice cream disappeared between shots -- when she opened the Maple Walnut, the Butter Pecan tub was gone.

Totally agree -- that was a really great visual with the flower.  

But it begs the question -- what if Tommy teleports something into a place where something already exists ?   What if that room at Primatech was already full of objects he had already teleported over the years ?  Does the teleported object displace whatever is at the destination point -- water, air, walls, etc. ?  Since he didn't know where he was sending any of the objects he has teleported, but turns out it was based on what he was thinking at the time, could he have sent people to their deaths ?  Say he was thinking about the Grand Canyon ?  Or the International Space Station ?  Or the moon ?  He teleported Luke/Mrs. Luke all the way from Illinois to Texas -- what are the limits on his teleport ability ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I was a fan of the orignal series, but this one just seemed, well, to be kind, not as good. The kid and his teleporting powers was cool, and  I liked the way they figured out where the telported things went. The mystery of why HRG would want his mind wiped is interesting. But the rampaging murderers, the horrible 90's video game, and pretty much everyone else was pretty boring. I'll give it another episode or so to see if it gets better, but I learned by lesson with Under the Dome, most of the time, it doesn't..

Edited by Julie23
  • Love 1

That's the thing - even in its original incarnation, this show seemed more interested in showing us powers that looked "cool" than explaining what the hell they'd ever be good for. I mean, the Japanese video game thing is really stupid. But I can imagine Tim Kring thinking how cool it would be even if it doesn't make any sense or advance the plot. I remember thinking the same thing about Nikki back in Season 1 (was that her name?) - the woman with the alter-ego in the mirror. That seemed like a pretty damn useless power to me. But, it looked "cool" I suppose and that's really more important to the show, it would seem.

How many episodes is this show supposed to be? I keep seeing where it's supposed to be a "limited" series.

I think that "useless powers" are part of the concept, in that it's intended to be evolution at work, and sometimes mutations aren't all that much of an advantage; the guy who could make bottle caps come off from the old show comes to mind (I believe he was one of the first people Sylar killed, after the TK guy).  And yes, the smoke priest did indeed look cool, even if it's not a terribly useful power unless you're hiding in a forest fire.

I believe it's going to be 13 episodes, and this was supposed to count as the first 2.

ITA with everyone on how "limited commercial interruption" just meant "skip the first break and replace it with an in-story visit to a Cadillac dealer."  At least, when "Genesis" first ran, there were only 3 breaks in the hour total, used by Nissan and AT&T, and extra time was given to storytelling.  Also, I highly doubt Claire's going to show up, because the show filmed in Toronto this summer, and the city was crawling with paparazzi due to "Suicide Squad" also filming there; I can't see tabloid-magnet Hayden sneaking in and out of town unnoticed in that environment.

• Love 2

I really liked the beginning of this. I never had any expectations that they would recapture the amazingness of the first season of the Original Recipe, because nothing ever could. That first season was magic, just like the showroom perfect blue Nissan Versa. So I wasn't expecting this to be as incredible as watching the Petrelli brothers fly together or Claire popping her broken ribs back under skin all nonchalantly. In fact, it was pretty much like I figured it would be: a recast of basically the same characters with a slight tweak to the story. Heroes had a formula and it stuck to it. 

That being said, there were things I liked and things I didn't like. The term "evos" and "truther"... really? I'm not into the Japan storyline as of yet. Maybe when Hiro shows up (I assume this is where he'll come in, since it's his/his father's business tower she went to) but only so long as he's not twee Hiro and he's badass future Hiro. And the L.A. bits with the alcoholic former soldier were meh. I'm sure he's going to have a power eventually. 

Aged-up Molly threw me for a loop. And The Haitian Sensation That's Sweeping The Nation trying to kill HRG at HRG's request. That was the moment in the premiere that got the first "Whaaaat?!" from me. The second followed closely when HRG killed him in return. The kid with the portal zapping was interesting enough, the Penny dude was intriguing, I have no idea what Northern Lights girl is all about. 

So which of the Killer Parents is hiding their power? Since we know that these things are genetic and inheritable (unless made synthetically). Or did their kid not have a power but they were just at the summit because it was a Moment in History? That wasn't really made clear to me. I know from the previous seasons not to expect answers until the 11th hour and not even then, so I expect lots of questions but there were a few things that could be a little cleaned up.

Either way, I'm in for the long haul. I stuck through Original Recipe Heroes until the bitter end and even bought all those crap seasons on DVD. I'm looking forward to seeing where this one is going to go. 

The stuff with Molly amused me because that it's when I knew that it was obvious it was shot in Canada due to the actors.  Not familiar with Molly herself, but everyone else was "Hey, mysterious girl at bar is Maya from The 100!" and "Oh, look, it's Nick from Rookie Blue as the sleazy Evo!"

Not gonna lie, when I first read this, I thought it was referring to the Heroes Maya and I shuddered because I caught most of the casting information over the months, but MAYA? They're going to bring that annoying chick back? Then I realized that it wasn't that Maya and was very thankful. Because Maya sucked balls. All she did was run around bleating her brother's name. And then Sylar's real name. And then Mohinder's. Ugh.

Ren is the new Ando to Miko as the new Hiro -- I guess.  

I wonder if he's as unspecial as Unspecial Ando (hands down, one of my favourite Hiro/Ando moments when Hiro yells out that the kidnappers want him, not "Unspecial Ando". The look on Ando's face...). I don't really understand Miko's power, and I know that it might get explained later, but is it the sword that lets her travel in the game? Is her super power the ability to use the sword like a ninja? Is the sword Kenzei's/Hiro's sword? I have a feeling her storyline is going to be as annoying as Hiro in ancient Japan.

Maybe the Haitian wiped away HRG's knowledge that his daughter is essentially indestructible along with all previous knowledge of his son.

Heh. We just finished our rewatch of all four of the original Heroes seasons and Lyle was the running joke for us. HRG was all about his Claire-Bear, but what about Lyle? No one cares about Lyle!

I remember thinking the same thing about Nikki back in Season 1 (was that her name?) - the woman with the alter-ego in the mirror. That seemed like a pretty damn useless power to me. But, it looked "cool" I suppose and that's really more important to the show, it would seem.

Nikki's power wasn't her multiple personality of Jessica. Her power was super strength. She was just batshit crazy and Jessica would come out when Nikki was too "weak" to deal with anything. Jessica was the true star of that pairing. Jessica got shit done. Nikki just whined and acted like a damsel in distress. When we rewatched Season 1 recently, we kept begging Nikki to turn back into Jessica, because she was much less annoying.

• Love 7

I believe it's going to be 13 episodes, and this was supposed to count as the first 2.

I've seen it labelled as an 'event miniseries', but I'm not entirely sure if that may or may not be true if it does well enough.  It is 13 episodes though and the double episode premiere does count as the first two.

• Love 1

Certainly not as good as the original Heroes, but good enough to keep watching.   I kind of like video game Katana Girl.  Also, high school kid was fun too.  Always great to see HRG. 

I give this a 7.  Let's see where it goes.

• Love 1

I don't think the priests 'power' is useless, he went through the confessional screen, right? I'm sure he can get under doors and through cracks etc either to get in or get out of locked rooms. Also depends how far he can 'float' that could also be useful.

I'm going to spoiler this 'cause I'm not sure what's allowed,

I'm thinking Miko is Hiro's daughter? I know it looks like her age is wrong but he can travel in time right? so maybe he went back to a time that is right for her being his daughter?

I can't believe a room full of 'evos' couldn't take down two armed 'normal' people.

• Love 3

I'm a big X Men fan so I look at Heros as the TV version therefore I'm in for the 13 weeks.

I'm wondering if Zack Quinto was unavailable so the went with Zack Levi. They are similar in looks and stature but it's hard for me watching Levi as a villain after all those years a Chuck.

This was bad. But I still have enough desire for the original show to go on that I would stick around in hopes of it getting better. If it weren't quite so bad. Like, if they didn't have the videogame story I could probably do one more episode. But, this was painful. And boring. And seemed unlikely to improve very much.

• Love 1

I'm going to spoiler this 'cause I'm not sure what's allowed,

I'm thinking Miko is Hiro's daughter? I know it looks like her age is wrong but he can travel in time right? so maybe he went back to a time that is right for her being his daughter?

I was under the assumption that the dad was the guy that wrote that graphic novel about Katana Girl was her dad? But maybe I'm wrong since this already has tons of plot holes and things that are either incredibly stupid or don't make sense.

How come in the first segment, the news reporters were talking about how Primatech was one of the leaders in Evo research, but wasn't Primatech supposed to be "just" a paper company ?  Because that makes HRG sticking with the paper story when talking with Quentin seem pretty absurd.

Thank you! I kept going back to this throughout the whole thing and it drove me crazy, wondering if I got something wrong. Nope, nothing wrong it's just Heroes at its best (the whole post was awesome btw.).

Should have trusted Sepinwall but there you go I thought it deserved a chance. It took about half an hour and I began to experience a very familiar phenomenon - vintage Heroes plot whiplash.

• This is mildly intriguing. (Penny for your thoughts guy)
  • Not sure this works but whatever let's see where they are going with it. (Mexican vigilante)
  • Gah, make it go away! (Katana girl)
  • Glad I get to see Jack Coleman outside of Castle and getting more to work with than evil scene chewing.
  • Hello Nick! Don't be a baddie please! (Molly Walker's plot)
  • For the love of God Chuck, just finally crack and shoot your hell-b*** of a wife (and maybe yourself afterwards)!

Rinse and repeat.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

Frankly, the shooting of the Haitian was hard to take. Like mentioned earlier, he had a mysterious backstory and was a peripheral character during the first run, was looking forward to some expansion but it seems most unlikely (unless they do the webcomic thing again).

I'm happy it's back, but yeah so far this seems more latter-season quality (with the various plot issues) vs Season 1.

• Love 3

I was under the assumption that the dad was the guy that wrote that graphic novel about Katana Girl was her dad? But maybe I'm wrong since this already has tons of plot holes and things that are either incredibly stupid or don't make sense.

I think that the writer was Ando, because when Katana Girl looked at the book jacket, there  was a picture of Ando and sometimes that is where they would place author pictures. So, I was thinking that she could be Ando's daughter, but then again, she could be

Hiro (and please let it be Future Hiro and not our present Hiro) because of the time travel thing.

Edited by TVSpectator

I think that the writer was Ando, because when Katana Girl looked at the book jacket, there  was a picture of Ando

I did not see that, you're probably right! Though the age thing might be a problem? I miss a lot by reading at the same time as watching. That's one of the reasons I come here:) You guys point out all the interesting bits.

I think that the writer was Ando, because when Katana Girl looked at the book jacket, there  was a picture of Ando

I did not see that, you're probably right! Though the age thing might be a problem? I miss a lot by reading at the same time as watching. That's one of the reasons I come here:) You guys point out all the interesting bits.

I don't think that was Ando in the writer's photo on the back of that Katana Girl book -- unless the actor playing Ando aged 25 years.  Plus that was a picture of actor Hiro Kanagawa, seen more recently on iZombie on The CW and several other shows. 

• Love 5

I don't think that was Ando in the writer's photo on the back of that Katana Girl book -- unless the actor playing Ando aged 25 years.  Plus that was a picture of actor Hiro Kanagawa, seen more recently on iZombie on The CW and several other shows. 

Maybe I was mistaken but I thought it was Ando but I only noticed the brief scene where she was looking at the book jacket. Although, I would bet that the author of the book is probably her father. 

Pretty sure beheading wouldn't work. She'd just regrow her body. You really had to jam something into her brain and it had to stay there for her to actually be dead. If it was removed, she'd be fine and dandy. Really hard to believe an explosion would kill her.

See, that's what I meant in my earlier post. Revenge-fueled Mom is like " We have all these Evo bitches' home address! This'll be easy!" I was sitting there going, " It's been a year and they are actively being hunted by various groups for various reasons. Shut up." What worries me is that they'll find nice folks, who have neighbors who trust and care for them, and these two will find them at the year-old list's address and kill the damn neighborhood. I get that the couple are supposed to be the villains, or two of them, but ... even for this show, it's a creepy, ugly place. I know, we have to have darkness to appreciate the light, but there was so much on-screen death and off-screen death, and these two contributing to a chunk of it.

Yup. I already hated the darkness creep in the original heroes (and that was impressive considering where they started) and here they went full on black hole from the start. 9/11 type event, genocidal couple and borderline genocidal general populous. Great. I miss the hope that was contrasting all the angst in the first season of the original show.
  • Love 1

In case no one has tackled the question from the earlier poster who wondered why the Quebequois gent was running in the woods in his underwear? He had chameleon powers, but the "good folks" hunting him had dogs, so presumptively, he was being TV-modest ( else nude IRL). When he hit the stream/ body of water, he covered himself with the water to wash his scent off and buy some time from the dogs.

The vigilante couple kill everyone in the basement, but leave bearded mini man alive?  I call shenanigans ahead.  Also, Miko never tried to move the screen before?  did I miss something, because it didn't seem like it was that big of a deal to move it.

My guess, Katana Girl isn't "real" her father is the real "Evo" he created her as a game character and then pulled her out.

I gave up on original Heroes at some point in Season 3. Didn't really find anything here all that interesting other than HRG and Penny For Your Thoughts guy, not sure it's worth sticking around.

El Vengador-- I love it! It's Batman and Spider-Man and we have a Robin expy to boot! Plus?

I thought he was clearly their version of Daredevil, right down to the meeting with the Catholic Priest. Of course, Daredevil is basically a cross between Spider-Man and Batman, so you're not wrong.

• Love 1

I actually went back and rewatched the entire original series in anticipation of this. I don't know if this is a statement of today's sci fi/superhero show offerings or what but it wasn't a awful as I recalled. They definitely went off the rails with not knowing what to do with Sylar and Hiro got annoying after going back in time to find Kenso. The how never lived up to it's first season potential, but it wasn't completely awful.

That said I mostly liked this, but again it was just a'ight with potential to be good. I was annoyed that Renee was brought back only to be killed off and this whole "Is Claire really dead?" thing is a waste of time unless Nashville gets canceled and Hayden needs a new job. I do like Zachary and Pruitt Taylor Vince, but OMG! Francesca Eastwood is number 1 with a bullet on my celebrity hate list. It doesn't help that I was completely over Molly Walker as a character on the original show. Anyway, I'll probably give this a few more weeks. Hopefully it improves.

Were the mother & daughter who were being led through the "underground railroad" the same people who were test driving a car with HRG early on in the first episode?

Like many of you, I'll be giving this one a chance for at least a few more weeks. My head was spinning with all the characters and storylines being introduced but I am interested in how they develop and interconnect (hopefully soon).

• Love 1

Were the mother & daughter who were being led through the "underground railroad" the same people who were test driving a car with HRG early on in the first episode?

Like many of you, I'll be giving this one a chance for at least a few more weeks. My head was spinning with all the characters and storylines being introduced but I am interested in how they develop and interconnect (hopefully soon).

I think that was the woman who was able to turn things into gold and it looks like the she can just control it by thought and doesn't have the pesky problem Kind Midas had when he had the golden touch!

But, IMO the best part of this episode was HRG doing that speech, in the beginning, while he was trying to sell the car to that family. 

Edited by TVSpectator

Saying I liked it is going too far but I'm interested enough to keep watching so that's something.

The Japan plot desperately needed some exposition and I'm guessing we didn't get the ABC backstory info dump there like we did for every other character is because oooOOOooo scary subtitles. I fully expect Miko and maybe Ren to be in America soon and surprise surprise they both speak English "OMG what an amazing coincidence that we both did well in our English language class!".

Peter Kay is Peter Kay so despite the rather predicable start his is the plotline I'm most interested in.     

I'm not really interested in Daredevil Wrestler but maybe that one will get better.

HRG makes Heroes Heroes so I'm glad he's back but I hated that the Haitian was killed off so quickly, hopefully it was a fakeout and the real Haitian is off somewhere enjoying his life.

My, my Molly how you've grown, it's almost like you're a whole new person.  

Edited by patchwork

The book that Ren gave Miko, wasn't that a Japanese book, written in Japanese? If so, why were they reading it left to right instead of right to left? Why did Ren become so obsessed with Miko looking like Katana Girl? Aren't they in Japan, the home of cosplay? The idea that Miko is a game character brought to 'life' makes better sense than her being a Evo who can Tronify with a magic sword. Special powers the presence of which aren't even discernible let alone useful without a certain technology around with which or on which they can be used are pretty crappy. With the possible exception of Micah's just because it was cool.

I liked penny for your thoughts guy but why did he lug around a whole briefcase full of them? A single roll should be enough to last him a while till he needs a refill.

Lastly, why hasn't Tim Kring learned to Think. Things. Through?

• Love 4

Lastly, why hasn't Tim Kring learned to Think. Things. Through?

It's the same with his other shows like Touch and Dig, just dump in a bunch of new characters and locations, that and the old series kept hitting the reset button each volume, splitting up the characters again and again.

Why did Ren become so obsessed with Miko looking like Katana Girl?

To rehash the Hiro/Ando dynamic, the only difference is that Miko is a more serious character, but otherwise, watching those scenes felt the same as them in the old series.

The Japan plot desperately needed some exposition and I'm guessing we didn't get the ABC backstory info dump there like we did for every other character is because oooOOOooo scary subtitles. I fully expect Miko and maybe Ren to be in America soon and surprise surprise they both speak English "OMG what an amazing coincidence that we both did well in our English language class!".

Ironically enough, it reminded me of the last Japan plot in S2 with Hiro in Feudal Japan, but that time, it dragged on and on when it should've gotten to the point sooner.

Edited by Free

I find it hard to believe that the highrise apt belong to a japanese 1% has a frontdoor that keeps popping open. Unless. Gamer Boy is not actually a champion gamer, he's really Break-in Boy, and his power causes both doors and epic game levels to unlock for him.

You know-- if they had taken that shot of Noah's hand reaching out from the rubble, groping for his cracked and soot spattered glasses in the foreground, and made it the poster for this show, they would have increased their initial audience 10 fold.

I hope this will be worth it.

But overall, i'd rather they had taken their money and donated it to the next seasonm of Powers.

• Love 2

Also . . . there is no way D'ohinder Suresh could've caused a terrorist act. He was such a goober, and not an entertaining one like Hiro.

Haha. On TWOP back in the day, I think someone would say that he was Mohindering the plot every time he came onscreen. But he is very handsome.

This show kind of sucked. I hated the murder couple. I find it hard to believe that these two went from happy parents to insane, but effective murderers in one year. I could almost deal with their shooting a roomful of unarmed people. But the basement people? Why were they shooting at them? They knew that kid had just teleported them somewhere. They had no idea where they were, so why murder everyone in the room? For all they knew, they could have been shooting at Apple computer programmers pulling a late night. They aren't being consistent with their righteous indignation.

The drunken vet bummed me out. His story was just kind of dull. Does he even have a power? If not, I don't care. There are plenty of other shows with normal humans. I don't want that from this show.

A big reason why I quit watching the original show after season 2 was because of the awkward character turnover. I constantly felt like I was saying "who dat" about half of the people popping up on the screen. I felt the same way during this episode. They just kept adding more people with secrets and motivations. Ugh.

I was incredibly annoyed that the Haitian was killed so quickly. HRG is a real bastard. His bestie only ever did what he asked him to do! They didn't need to kill him like that. The writers just wanted a shocking moment. Not happy.

• Love 2

My guess, Katana Girl isn't "real" her father is the real "Evo" he created her as a game character and then pulled her out.

That would make sense, actually. Because she didn't seem to know herself or remember a past. That is also a better explanation than mine about why the door opened for Gamer Boy. He fails, then he restarts from a save point.