Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Living the Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Completely feel for Ashley Nicole with her injuries.

I was a good soccer player, but multiple knee injuries over many years (culminated by back-to-back-ACL's), finished me, even though I tried to play through the last one for a year but really couldn't.  I really hope that's not the case for her, because she is as good as it gets, but sometimes there's nothing you can do.

I also love Emma more than before (if possible) for trying to fill in.

Definitely think they might have over-cut prematurely over the course of the season though seeing they didn't have enough girls for opening night.

Edited by Aegolius
  • Love 3

Well, that was cool.

Megan is my new favorite! She's stunning! Plus she's smack-dab in the middle of the field. She's really tall.

Mary continues to be beautiful. Robin is a cutie as well. Love her hair.

Makes me not miss Nicole B. quite as much.

Go Cowboys!!!

Edited by Ferniesfreckles

Wow I can't believe we never got an introduction to the other Amy at all! Chantel or Stephanie either and I know a few others.... This season was good but seemed to rushed. I feel like I need to say " Kelly and Judy you're rushing!" lol

• Love 5

Well.  That was interesting.

I have to say that except for Holly and Megan because of their talent, and KaShara because of her sassiness, and Chantal because of she could be the twin of one of my best friends, I find this rookie class absolutely underwhelming.  The rest are just .. there.  And Kat.  I really, really really think Kat is not good.  I'm not altogether sure why they kept her.

• Love 3

Watching this episode reminded me of the dangers of the jump split. I myself have sustained a severe groin pull when doing a similar jump split back in the day. The one good thing to come from this injury was increased flexibility. I never had any trouble jump splitting once I'd healed. High school and college dance/drill teams always had "extra" young women for this very reason. We actually had to try out for each performance which kept us on our toes...and ensured we all learned new routines quickly since we were continually competing amongst each other. I will never understand the logic behind letting a 4- year vet go (Jasmine), especially now that we see all the vets getting injured. Wasn't Jasmine "clunky" the last 3 seasons?

Seeing Emma reaffirms the complete package DCC. She is incredibly gorgeous, talented and articulate. She is one example of a vet that I'm afraid I'm not seeing in any of this season's rookies.

For some reason tonight's close-ups were brutally "CLOSE UP". I think it's time for the camera crew to pull back on these shots....especially those taken at the stadium prior to the game. I initially thought Megan to be the one true total package DCC...but those nostril shots were really unflattering. Yes, the girls are cute....just NOT DCC beautiful as we are used to. Seeing Emma again ...holy smokes, she is unbelievably beautiful. My opinion on Holly remains the same. Yes, she's a terrific dancer but her stocky figure is far from appealing, especially in the DCC uniform. I'very always questioned the young dancers with weight issues. These women dance and work out constantly. When I was 18 yrs and dancing non-stop, I easily maintained my 5"3 105 lbs figure. I'm from the era where we "weighed in" so those DCC episodes ring familiarand true to me. I'm concerned Holly will always have that middle paunch. She is naturally stocky not slim. Plus her inability to take a flattering photo (Individual and team pictures) make me wonder how she made this team (great dancer YES...her look = no, sorry) IMO - Simone is the most attractive from the rookie class. Again - the extreme close ups made Robin's features unattractive...and she is a cutie. Kat,is another rookie I do not find personally appealing with pointy features and a too thin physique. Unfortunately none of the current crop of rookies come anywhere close to my vets from past years.

I'm from Utah and know 2 former DCC's with Utah ties = Tobey and Courtney. I've also seen TCC candidate Madeline recently and she has definitely grown up....softened hair color and dancin at many different local studios.

I enjoyed tonight's episode from the dancers perspective. It was informative seeing Judy block her choreography. The routines are not particularly difficult however, they do have a lot of detail that must be rehearsed in order to appear fun, upbeat and "easy". I was surprised to see so many rookies making mistakes up until the last minute, right until final selection.

• Love 2

Well. That was interesting.

I have to say that except for Holly and Megan because of their talent, and KaShara because of her sassiness, and Chantal because of she could be the twin of one of my best friends, I find this rookie class absolutely underwhelming. The rest are just .. there. And Kat. I really, really really think Kat is not good. I'm not altogether sure why they kept her.

I feel the same way about Kat myself. They obviously see something in her that we don't. I really don't see her staying past one year. I don't think she's really all that interesting and wish they could have focused on a few more of the TCC's that I didn't know existed until tonight.

Edited by maksmom19
  • Love 4

I am glad they announced the team at the beginning of the show though rather than wait until the end. I thought they were better this episode about showing longer bits of dancing so you could actually watch the girls dance. I do wish they would do a special just about show group. I would love to see the different routines with all the costume changes or maybe even a special about the USO tour would be fun to watch.

Edited by maksmom19
  • Love 3

I'm concerned Holly will always have that middle paunch. She is naturally stocky not slim. Plus her inability to take a flattering photo (Individual and team pictures) make me wonder how she made this team (great dancer YES...her look = no, sorry) .

I paid closer attention in this episode... Holly literally has no neck, her head is attached to her shoulders. It makes her look stocky and awkward. I can see her getting cut for weight in the future. Remember Alyssa and Cassie K were both star show group members but were cut for weight.

• Love 2

Wow, I felt like this whole series was rushed and I am sad that it is over. I hated that the 'big accomplishment" that was featured for Holly was her weight. Considering all her dance skill it was just sad to see.

• Love 6

This was a fun episode.

How about how the only one Melissa Rycroft could go surprise in the locker room was Kat becuase all the other girls she worked with, which was quite a few, were cut. I guess she worked w/ Simone a little, but not as much as Kat and others.

I think they kept Kat cause of her kicks and rythmic gymnastics talent - did anyone notice she had her solo costume on at the beginning of the meet the team footage - so they probably had her dance it at that event, so it must be amazing. I agree that her looks and figure are not very DCC.

Emma is gorgeous - it's true that none of the new rookies compare to her. And gosh, if Holly lost 8 pounds in training camp, she must have been really big at the beginning. Her look ks very non-DCC too.

It was nice how Kelli announced the team and how she admitted that cutting people is hard.

I will miss this show so much - it always goes by so fast every year and this uear was even shorter.

• Love 5

Yes, the girls are cute....just NOT DCC beautiful as we are used to.

Agreed. I guess I'm still bitter about Chandler being called a "grandma" last year, because if she's a grandma, Chantel is a great grandma.
  • Love 2

It was nice how Kelli announced the team and how she admitted that cutting people is hard.

Yes, at first I wondered if she had any regrets about cuts with the injuries and all... but when you see girls still making errors I think she made the tough decisions she always has had to make. Edited by mardo4
  • Love 1

Three words to summarize my thoughts no this season: I'm not impressed.

I'm just underwhelmed by..everything.

Also, I can now see why weight is gained during their offseason. I think it was Raylee who stated "eating salads for a month." They obviously keep up those eating habits during TC and MAYBE during the season.

Another three words: Injuries, injuries, injuries. As stated earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Ashley N's last season. 

Now I'm wondering which of these girls will be one year wonders... Any bets?

Simone, Kat, Raylee. 

Those show group routines at Meet The Team were identical to last year.

They always are. They seldom switch it up.

• Love 2

Although it pains me to see these girls get injured, it's the reality of being a dancer so I'm glad that the show didn't edit that stuff out (although the cynical part of me suspects that the injury related stuff was kept on the show more for the ensuing drama than the realism).

While I totally applaud Emma for filling in at the last minute, I was cracking up when Judy said that having to redo formations is one of the things that makes them world class. I guess that means my high school dance team was world class too. I don't mean that as an insult to the DCC either but injuries and other things happen so last minute adjustments are part of being a dancer. I can't tell you how many times we had to reblock or change formations.

Similar to Twinkle's experience, on my high school dance team we all learned every routine but we had to audition before every pep rally, football game, competition, etc. so it definitely kept us on our toes because our performance spots were never guaranteed. Since we had a fairly large group, our director could easily change the number of people in any given routine based on how many people had the routine down perfectly. Sometimes we had as few as 15 or as many as 40. Once we had auditions for a specific performance, we went through the whole dance and did formations. Sometimes we reused dances for other performances which meant, like Emma, you could end up on the other side and your roll offs could be on totally different counts. I remember for one dance, when we performed it again later in the year I got moved and I had to change all of my counts for every single roll off (and that dance had so many different types of roll offs: front to back, left to right, inside to outside so it wasn't just a matter of saying, "You used to be a 1 for all the roll offs and now you're a 2 for all the roll offs"). It sucks when that happens, but it's just part of being a dancer. You just have to adapt to the situation (heh, and hope that your body doesn't automatically pop up on your old count!).

Although this episode felt rushed with too many things crammed into it (last day of training camp, letting the new girls into the locker room, team photo shoot, first show group performance, meet the team, first real field rehearsal, first game day, etc), one thing that I really liked is that we finally got to see some actual dancing as well as footage of what happens at rehearsals besides Judy and Kelli yelling at TCCs.

I wish we had seen more of the meet the team performance because I watch this show for the dancing, not the CMT drama. It seemed like poor planning on Kelli and Judy's part to not even realize that Holly only had 2 8-counts to change her costume. One of the first things we used to do when planning our concerts was figure out the order of dances, not only to spread out the variety of dance styles but to make sure that no one had back to back dances so that everyone had at least one dance to change costumes (and one dance is still a very short amount of time to completely change costumes). According to this article, eight of the girls performed solos. As a director, those are the dances you put in between the group dances so that everyone else has time to change. That's also why you have an MC to talk to the audience if you need to buy the girls a little extra time to change. Performing all those dances is stressful enough without adding the chaos of 30 second costume changes.

I am really surprised that Kat and Simone were not cut. I noticed that Kat was one of the girls who had a solo at meet the team, so I think that Kelli really wanted to take advantage of having a dancer with a very different dance style. I saw on the DCC website, Kat says that she was on the rhythmic gymnastics national team. During auditions did she say that she was on the Olympic team? Or am I just remembering that incorrectly?

I hated that there were some rookies we really didn't see until this episode. I mean, good for them for not getting called into Kelli's office earlier in training camp but when some of them appeared onscreen tonight, I thought who is this girl? I've never seen her before! I wish the show would let us get to know more of the rookies, not the just ones in danger of being cut.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I didn't like Holly's hair in this episode. I thought the red looked worse than it has, and I didn't think the cut was flattering on her. I've gone back and forth on whether or not I think she could have the DCC look, but I did not see it at all last night. She is a great dancer though, so I giver her that. 

Megan C. seems to be the only one who really has the total package from this group. I also think Amy T. and Kashara (any weight issues aside) have the ideal DCC look and Simone is the prettiest of the rookie class (though her dancing is mediocre). Everyone else seems just ok. Kat is very mediocre to me, but I think they really like her maturity and the fact that she was a rhythmic gymnast. We'll see how they develop though. I used to think that Emma's rookie class was rather blah as well, and several of them developed into strong DCCs.

I do think Kelli and Judy overplay the difficulty of changing formations. Yeah, its inconvenient, but dance/cheer teams at any level have to do it all of the time. These girls have been dancing for pretty much their entire lives, so it really should not be that big of a deal. 

Edited by Jess14

As time went on w/ these episodes I realized how little Holly and Kat had the DCC look. Courtney's look actually grew on me and by the time she was cut I actually thought she had the look when in the beginning I did not. I thought Kayleigh looked a lot more like a DCC than Kat and Holly too - their cameos being awful probably isn't helping my impression of their looks either though.

I do this on my phone so I can't use the Quote button- I don't have one- so I apologize....

I thought the season was totally rushed and cold and negative.

I loved season 7 because we met everyone. Went to Mexico with them, we saw kelly act like a real person and we saw her cry, laugh and be funny. It was satisfying.

Season 9 was great because they had a great rookie class and I felt attached to all of them. The last episode of season 9 was wonderful, because they played "Sky full of stars" and the camera hit each rookie, during the game on the field, in slow mo, and it was so emotional and happy and I was thrilled right along with them.

This year for the ending, they played some crappy song I've never heard and showed 8 yes, only 8 rookies in slow mo and it was over. What happened to the other 6? Not important? ?

It feels like they just slapped some shit together for season 10.

And I did not buy Kelly's sob story about "tough cuts." Wah wah. You should've have kept Jasmine, courtney, Taylor and kindall, and you wouldn't be dying over all these injuries.

Also, that last night. .... really kelly? Are you ignorant? She said out loud in exasperation, "why are they making mistakes when they weren't before?" I almost reached into the tv and slapped her. Lets think on this, Kelly.... Maybe it was the threat you loaded on them that at "any second now, on the last night, I'm going to cut all of you" speech which made them all fall apart. I just can't believe her lack of logic and lack of understanding these are human beings, and when you threaten them, you don't get their best. You get panic and tears.

And who the hell are Elizabeth, Amy whatever, Chantal, and Claire? We never even met them. How unfortunate because I don't know them, therefore I'm not invested.

Will they have a season 11?

They need to start doing the specials everyone has been requesting. Those of you who live down there and get to see them and all that, good for you. But where I am up here in New Jersey (no, Kelly, no one says "Joisey" and you sound like a jerk saying that.....) we don't see them or get to know them. So all I've got is the show.

You guys on this board have been GREAT for giving me so much inside information which GREATLY increases my enjoyment of the show!!

One year girls?? I don't know. Maybe one of the mystery rookies. The really pretty red head, maybe.

I see holly growing her hair longer and losing her baby fat, and being gorgeous and point girl.

I see Amy t ,Holly, Raylee, Jax,Simone and Meagan being 4-5 year girls and I see Kat doing 2 years then getting married and moving on.

I see Kyshara doing 2 years and leaving like (Abigail before her) to go to Hollywood. I see Kyshara as a fan favorite and I think she is gorgeous and sassy, and I see Hollywood calling her.

I think season 9 had the most talented rookie class and I think they'll always be tough to beat.

I really really hope Taylor Kindall and Courtney come back next year and make it. I'd like to see Chandler from 9 and Kaliegh come back with makeovers and make it too.

• Love 4

For some reason I-tunes cut out some of the scenes. I like Holly. She does not seem to be the regular cookie cut DCC. She reminds me a lot of Kandi Harris. Adorable, sweet, talented, and different from the run of the mill long haired blonde or brunettes that make up the majority of the team. Yes, they may not have the skinny DCC type body, but they can dance and be a fan favorite.

Kat blaming Ashley's injuries for her mistakes. Okay...What was the reasons for your mistakes during training camp. I can see her, Simone, Raylee, and Stephanie being cut at finals next year if they do not bring their A+ game.

And can they end the blasted oh no we have injuries how well we survive during game day performances. Keeping cut girls will not solve the problems. Girls have been injured during training camp, game day performances, and Show Group performances. The sun came up the next day, performances still happened, and everyone lived another day. Stop the freaking drama especially in the last episode. We got it the first nine seasons.

I am really surprised that Kat and Simone were not cut. I noticed that Kat was one of the girls who had a solo at meet the team, so I think that Kelli really wanted to take advantage of having a dancer with a very different dance style. I saw on the DCC website, Kat says that she was on the rhythmic gymnastics national team. During auditions did she say that she was on the Olympic team? Or am I just remembering that incorrectly?

I was surprised, too. Simone is pretty, but she's awful. She should not have made this team. Kat made it because of her kicks and because Kelli was impressed with her rhythmic gymnastics background. Period. She still doesn't have the DCC style of dance down and her movements look awkward and forced. Simone and Kat both benefitted from the fact that they were in one of the weakest rookie classes we've seen in the past several years. If they'd tried out any other year, I don't think they would have made it. 

I'm not impressed with Holly at all. In fact, I don't think she should be on this team. She can dance, but she falls short for me in every other category. 

I grew up with Kat and if I'm remembering right, she was on the Junior Olympic rhythmic team and the senior national team. 

• Love 3

For some reason I-tunes cut out some of the scenes. I like Holly. She does not seem to be the regular cookie cut DCC. She reminds me a lot of Kandi Harris. Adorable, sweet, talented, and different from the run of the mill long haired blonde or brunettes that make up the majority of the team. Yes, they may not have the skinny DCC type body, but they can dance and be a fan favorite. 

I agree about Holly. I love that she doesn't have the typical DCC look. She's a powerful and fun performer that I can also see being a fan fav.

• Love 3

It feels like they just slapped some shit together for season 10.

I work in video production and I have a strong suspicion that there was pressure to do more with less this year, probably to save production costs. I think that's a reason for the choppiness and the amped up drama (the extended cut scenes, the focus on injuries) - save money yet bring in more viewers with the drama. Didn't someone say that this series no longer appears on the ratings charts, meaning its viewership has fallen? And they moved it from its regular schedule. Perhaps it is circling the drain in terms of being renewed.

It was good to be out of camp and those stupid cut scenes. I was more than ready for the announcements and all that came with that.

I think the rookies lack the same polish that the vets have. Kat, Holly and the others will probably settle in to their roles and pick up that polish.

• Love 1

That was the most boring finale ever.  I usually get a little teary when the squad is announced but this time I barely recognized any of the rookies.  Kat needs to go.  I think they only picked her because she was on a national gymnastics team.  Snooze fest all around. 

• Love 3

I couldn't believe this was the last episode, but I was happy to see Kelly announce the team early in the episode. And I liked that she kept in simple and just said, "This is the team." In the past, she's done the elaborate things and the rookies are totally freaking out about being cut that the miss her big "ta-da" moment and she gets pissed.

I wish we could have gotten to know the girls better and seen more of the former starts of MTT. I feel like I barely know most of the people on the team because we never circle back to them once they "make the team."

I really like Holly's look and her energy, but I was a little disappointed that her weight was the focus of the wrap up. They showed one weigh in (where she was possibly overweight, but they didn't say that it was or what she had to do about it) and that was it. I'm not a huge fan of her haircut or hair color, but if she feels confident, go for it.

i think, since Holly had mentioned her weight earlier in the season, it was done to tie up a loose end.

And as for Kelli talking about tough cuts-I've seen it in her face when she cuts people. It does affect her.   I like her very much, and i don't think for a minute that she is playing when she says that.  

• Love 2

Kat and Simone, imo, should have been cut and brought the team to 32. They're both horrible. 

Holly P is my only real favorite from this rookie class, though I also liked Amy T. and Megan. That is about it---totally underwhelmed this season.

• Love 1

I love Holly.  I think she's very pretty and is an amazing dancer.  I hope she's on the team for a long time.  I felt bad for poor Amy L, who they never showed actually speaking.  I think they showed everyone else talking at least once.  I think Kaleigh could've pulled it off and done well, but I agreed w/them cutting Taylor, Courtney and the others they did.  Courtney was very cute but didn't have the glam factor of a DCC at all to me, and her dancing really wasn't the greatest.  

I love Holly.  I think she's very pretty and is an amazing dancer.  I hope she's on the team for a long time.  I felt bad for poor Amy L, who they never showed actually speaking.  I think they showed everyone else talking at least once.  I think Kaleigh could've pulled it off and done well, but I agreed w/them cutting Taylor, Courtney and the others they did.  Courtney was very cute but didn't have the glam factor of a DCC at all to me, and her dancing really wasn't the greatest.  

I wonder if the girls get a choice in whether they want to be featured or not.

Someone mentioned on the old TWOP board that Carey D and Vanessa J (from season 4) weren't featured much because they didn't want to. I don't recall either of them speaking.  Vanessa was only shown briefly during the jump split clinic (taught by Meredith O).

Finally watch the episode through my Amazon pass, since I completely forgot to watch Thursday night.

I felt the finale was totally rushed and erratic. But then, that's rather been the speed of the entire season, so the finale was in keeping with the tone of the whole.  This is definitely the least cohesive season of MTT ever!

In seeing the girls they did keep on the team, I think Kelli and Judy were very shortsighted in cutting Courtney and Selina. They should have made the team and would have been good additions IMO.  Of course, again, we viewers only saw about 10% of what happened over the entire summer, so there may have been reasons for the cuts that are unbeknownst to us.

I was completely surprised by the number of Rookies who got NO INTRODUCTION WHATSOEVER. That's pretty bad. I never knew a Claire existed until I saw her name in the locker room!  That's very poor editing, because I'm sure they were all filmed.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the (disjointed) season and would tune in for S11 if there is one! :)

I wonder if the girls get a choice in whether they want to be featured or not.

Someone mentioned on the old TWOP board that Carey D and Vanessa J (from season 4) weren't featured much because they didn't want to. I don't recall either of them speaking.  Vanessa was only shown briefly during the jump split clinic (taught by Meredith O).

This is something I've wondered too.

• Love 1

Hello all!  I am so confused .... can someone help.  Are there two rookies named Amy?   I guess I thought they were the same person or something, since I only knew about Amy T.  I agree with everyone that they should highlight all the rookies, not just the struggling TCC.  i don't remember seeing some of these girls at all. 

So I watched this episode and actually wrote down the names of the rookies.  I had 14 names - which I thought was correct since I remember Kelli writing down 20 veterans and 14 rookies for a total of 34.  Now with the other Amy L. that makes 15 rookies.   ??  

I do have concentration issues since I went through chemo, but I thought I knew what was going on since I watch every episode..  You will save me from having to go to the new squad photo and figure out which are rookies, etc.  or the Cowboys website which only has pictures with no names attached.  Thank you so much.

Hello all!  I am so confused .... can someone help.  Are there two rookies named Amy?   I guess I thought they were the same person or something, since I only knew about Amy T.  I agree with everyone that they should highlight all the rookies, not just the struggling TCC.  i don't remember seeing some of these girls at all. 

So I watched this episode and actually wrote down the names of the rookies.  I had 14 names - which I thought was correct since I remember Kelli writing down 20 veterans and 14 rookies for a total of 34.  Now with the other Amy L. that makes 15 rookies.   ??  

I do have concentration issues since I went through chemo, but I thought I knew what was going on since I watch every episode..  You will save me from having to go to the new squad photo and figure out which are rookies, etc.  or the Cowboys website which only has pictures with no names attached.  Thank you so much.

amy_l-025.jpg?itok=kAxombUk        amy_t-001.jpg?itok=JgrVmKp0

Amy L                                                                                         Amy T

I tried to link their photos to their DCC bios but not sure if it worked.  I counted 14 rookies here

Yes, there are two girls named Amy. This is Amy L. All the girls are listed individually here.

@Electricboogaloo:  Dang you coulda saved me almost strangling a keyboard LOL

• Love 3

Thank you thank you thank you!!   I went over your list and compared to mine and I found my mistake, I had written down KaShara twice.   The way my mind works....  The Amy's do look somewhat alike though.  Thanks for the links also, when I clicked on cheerleaders it went to the story about Jacie nominated for Dallas 10 most beautiful women and I couldn't find the individual pics.

Now I am going to re-watch this episode and see if I can get a glimpse of Amy L.

I paid closer attention in this episode... Holly literally has no neck, her head is attached to her shoulders. It makes her look stocky and awkward. I can see her getting cut for weight in the future. Remember Alyssa and Cassie K were both star show group members but were cut for weight.

I can't believe this season is over! It seemed so short!

I cried when they finally announced the team because I'm one of those people who cry for everything. This season seemed to have been tougher on the girls than previous seasons. While there are some rookies who I know nothing about (like always), I'm extremely happy for those that I got to know. I probably wouldn't have picked Simone and Kat if it was up to me, but I'm happy for them nonetheless.

I liked this season because I feel like I got to see a lot despite it being such a seemingly short season. They tried to introduce us to as many girls as possible, but it can be tough to introduce us to people while still showing the dances and what's going on behind the scenes. I felt like there was a lot less pointless fillers this season than in previous seasons. Nothing will beat season 7 for me, but this was better than season 8 and 9. 

I'm guessing that Ashley N and Angela won't be coming back next year because of their injuries. It can't be good for Ashley to keep doing the jump split after repeatedly hurting her knee. The cowboys do not pay enough for that kind of toll on the body IMO.

I'm sad that the show is over and I hope that they renew for next year. Till then, I'll be coming here and keeping up with the girls on social media.

I need to learn, and real quickly, how to use twitter and onstage am so I can follow some of my favorites as well. Really I only (barely) have time for Facebook with a full time job, perdiem job,a house,a yard, a husband, and 4 kids... but for a little DCC following, I'd find the time! You guys have provided us with enough instagram links

To get started, and it seems like one girls' social media will eventually lead you to most of them. :)