Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E08: The Girl Who Got All Dolled Up

Nyle is justifiably upset that his phone was taken and he felt excluded but he could of asked for it back. He kind of lost me this episode (but he has an awesome photo and is gorgeous) due to his venting about being isolated and expecting everyone to learn ASL when he could just use his phone to communicate with other and initiate conversations rather than expecting others, in a competition, to go out of their way for him.

Then he says he loves everything about himself and loves being deaf. I guess someone who only spoke Spanish or Mandarin or anything language would have similar problems. The world doesn't owe you anything and why should it since you love being deaf and expect others to learn ASL for you when they should be focusing on the competition. I'm being a bit extreme but despite his great photos, great looks and seeming like a nice guy he seems to be playing the victim when he could man up and write out on paper something like "Please give me my phone so I can communicate". I wonder if he is one of the deaf people who dislike other deaf people who get cochlear implants and become hearing people.

I know everyone will disagree with me since he is loved by all here. I think he is gorgeous and a good model but I lost some respect for him. I'm almost not a Mickey hater like most others and liked that he settled the childish beef with some of the other competitors….some growth.

Because, I would imagine, it is because (as Lacey pointed out) the only people actually communicating with him in a way he can truly communicate and express himself as himself, is herself and Justin. It seems to me that no one else even bothers. He does communicate with his phone, and reading lips - but that's now how he fully communicates or expresses himself  He doesn't get a cookie for whinging, but, at the same time, especially when it has been brought up that he has felt isolated (especially because of of this drama happens so fast so i bet lip reading is hard), it's like no one is taking the time to include him so he can fully partake. 

I took it as someone taking someone's glasses off someone's head and start playing with it. Okay. it's not exactly the same,but it's akin. You are all of a sudden lost (in this case, you can't see. in Nyle's case, you can not communicate). and you can easily ask for it back, but people laugh and joke and go, we're just having fun, relax. which was the vibe i was getting.

I would expect that if it was someone who only spoke a different language, would feel equally left out, isolated, and alone. But for me, especially since I've easily been on the other foot - I always make a conservative effort to try to communicate with someone who doesn't speak the same language as me. Including ASL, which i know a little of. I don't think he expects people to be fluent - but to at least try. Especially when they indicate and point out that they want to and acknowledge how isolated they must make Nyle feel, then this week, take his phone and pretty much eliminate all ways for him to communicate properly. 

• Love 10

That doll challenge was adorable.  I loved the little accessories and extra outfits hanging on the box sides.

I think Courtney is the worst looking, shortest and worst performing model of all ANTM time.  Worse than Luveey.Its like all the mean girls in Courtney's school took up a fund and paid Tyra to put Courtney in the show to embarass and humiliate her.

Hadassha is the dimmest bulb in the 25 watt package if she can't see that Bello is gay.  That exit was the most dramatic exit, gayer than all 6 seasons of Ru Pauls Drag Race combined.

SOMEONE HELP ME WHEN DID THEY GET RID OF THE BLONDE FARM BOY WHO COULDN'T MODEL?  I SWEAR THAT EPISODE IS NOT ON THIS FORUM??

Did anyone else think that Tyra was wearing the same outfit this episode and episode 7? I could have sworn she was, but I must be mistaken if no one else has mentioned it.

I noticed that too.

That doll challenge was adorable.  I loved the little accessories and extra outfits hanging on the box sides.

I think Courtney is the worst looking, shortest and worst performing model of all ANTM time.  Worse than Luveey.Its like all the mean girls in Courtney's school took up a fund and paid Tyra to put Courtney in the show to embarass and humiliate her.

Hadassha is the dimmest bulb in the 25 watt package if she can't see that Bello is gay.  That exit was the most dramatic exit, gayer than all 6 seasons of Ru Pauls Drag Race combined.

SOMEONE HELP ME WHEN DID THEY GET RID OF THE BLONDE FARM BOY WHO COULDN'T MODEL?  I SWEAR THAT EPISODE IS NOT ON THIS FORUM??

Dustin... he went home in episode 5, the one about the hickey.

Mattipoo

Aug 02, 2015

Yes I like Jane from C15 too. She was the Ivy Leaguer whom Tyra hated because she was smarter than Tyra.

--------

I find the above to be an interesting comment.

Despite Tyra's fame and wealth, she is exceedingly jealous of/hostile to women attending a certain type of university especially if they are African-American.

Furthermore, Tyra continues to encourage the erroneous belief that she graduated from Harvard with a degree rather than the actuality of basically receiving a certificate of completion for business workshops(for the wealthy).

It is truly bizarre that Tyra can be so jealous despite her wealth and fame (of which we are CONSTANTLY reminded).

------

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 2

He kind of lost me this episode (but he has an awesome photo and is gorgeous) due to his venting about being isolated and expecting everyone to learn ASL when he could just use his phone to communicate with other

I disagree - people with disabilities should not be forced to capitulate to normative modes of communication, and I do think it's on others to learn how to accomodate and communicate with people with disabilities and alternate styles of communication. I think they're all really being shitty about this.

• Love 4

Gah, not Jenny Slate! Jenny Slate is way too awesome for this trash. 

I swear sometimes Tyra has got to be pranking us. Let's have the models do a Vine vid for STEM, then go pose as empty-headed dolls! What? Also, her hair is atrocious this cycle. It's basically a bad 80s cut. 

Hadassah is beyond dim, but I think she is seriously gorgeous. Mame too. 

I have to disagree with you about the haircut; I think it looks terrific on her.  But the rest, yeah.

I think Courtney is the worst looking, shortest and worst performing model of all ANTM time.  Worse than Luveey

Courtney's no model, but she did take some good photos early on.  Lluvy never took a decent photo, and that Pisces fish one was probably the worst thing ever on this show.

Courtney's no model, but she did take some good photos early on.  Lluvy never took a decent photo, and that Pisces fish one was probably the worst thing ever on this show.

Lluvy gets a lot of flack for that fish photo and understandable but IMO it's not the worst. I still think these two are in the run for the worst photo ever on ANTM

7e42d9e5690e3c4998406ff440e91003.jpg2i8zk0y.jpg

• Love 1

Add Bello's possessed zombie photo to the list of worst ANTM photos of all time. Good God, I am so glad he is gone! What a sassy dramatic exit though. And did he say something like "I am not here to make friends" during one of his confessionals in this episode? How cliche!

• Love 2

I'm a STEM professional and found the challenge borderline offensive. Since when does Tyra, who probably doesn't even know what the square root of one is, care about STEM? It's like she saw someone tweet about and decided to make it her cause du jour. And having the hamsters do STEM PSAs is all kinds of phony. If they think it's such a great career, why aren't they pursuing it?

STEM is trendy, particularly non-STEM people shouting at girls that they need to go into STEM.  If that's their thing, great.  If not, great.  I can science but there are many other skills I don't have.  Life is great because of other people excelling at the things I don't.  Kids should be able to pursue their passions whether it's rocket science, fashion, or something else.

As for offense, I'm not going to hold ANTM responsible for sucking at portraying science any more than any other TV show.  If people ask about it, my second statement is usually that it's not what you see on [popular show of the day].  The writers want to wrap everything up in an episode and that doesn't leave much time for the day-to-day frustrations.  I doubt those PSAs are going to change any minds, but I doubt any minds are going to be harmed either.

I did got a giggle out of the cycle where the girls had to pronounce, "gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer,"  If I'm talking to a colleague, we just call it GC-MS.

• Love 2

Add Bello's possessed zombie photo to the list of worst ANTM photos of all time. Good God, I am so glad he is gone! What a sassy dramatic exit though. And did he say something like "I am not here to make friends" during one of his confessionals in this episode? How cliche!

I think another All-Star cycle featuring Bello and Jade could be interesting.

Throw in Devin and Romeo for good measure.

• Love 3

I was so embarrassed for Courtney when she was prancing around trying desperately to get the boys attention. I also wanted to smack her upside her head for even considering taking Ashley's place in Mikey's bed. Poor pathetic thing needs to get some self-esteem. Fragile is the perfect word to describe her. She's so pitiful that it's painful to watch.

Anyway, Bello can't possibly be a real person. He's so bizarre that I'm starting to think that he's doing some sort of performance art project. The hot tub scene with the mirror gave me the willies.

• Love 11

I was so embarrassed for Courtney when she was prancing around trying desperately to get the boys attention. I also wanted to smack her upside her head for even considering taking Ashley's place in Mikey's bed. Poor pathetic thing needs to get some self-esteem. Fragile is the perfect word to describe her. She's so pitiful that it's painful to watch.

Anyway, Bello can't possibly be a real person. He's so bizarre that I'm starting to think that he's doing some sort of performance art project. The hot tub scene with the mirror gave me the willies.

Courtney was like the embodiment of needy there, and it saddened me because I cautioned her against it last week here on the Forum! Then her Vine group decided that bullying her on camera would not look too on the mark! THEN they did not create a doll type that would work for her (hint: the accessories would possibly be illegal) and when they FINALLY had the kindness to quit teasing her with a potential win/career and send her home...we get the preview and the Return! It's like those horror films where the final scene has the hand rising out of the water/grave! Accompanied by Bello (sp?), whose hair looked very Bride of Frankenstein this episode, just to top off the horror film analogy.

I can see the modeling connection to STEM. In movies female science types are almost all model types with glasses.

I disagree - people with disabilities should not be forced to capitulate to normative modes of communication, and I do think it's on others to learn how to accomodate and communicate with people with disabilities and alternate styles of communication. I think they're all really being shitty about this.

Nyle wasn't drafted into this with no other choice, though. I agree that the others SHOULD attempt to communicate with him in his comfort zone as a nice gesture. But it seems to me the same as if I walked into a room full of Italians in Italy and expected that they would communicate with me in English. Accomodating me is not their job. I have to step up and learn how to communicate in Italian. (This just happened this week, so that's why the example is so specific.)

Lacey's doll shot was superb. She photographs really well.

• Love 6

I'm a STEM professional and found the challenge borderline offensive. Since when does Tyra, who probably doesn't even know what the square root of one is, care about STEM? It's like she saw someone tweet about and decided to make it her cause du jour. And having the hamsters do STEM PSAs is all kinds of phony. If they think it's such a great career, why aren't they pursuing it?

Isn't everything Tyra's cause?

C10 she did the homeless shoot because on her show she was homeless for 24 hours and now all of a sudden it was her cause. Never mentioned her doing things for the homeless ever since that. I can't believe that it's her cause after only 24 hours, she didn't even scratch the surface on what homeless people go through day after day.

C12 she did photoshoot on the models playing little girl games cause it was her cause that little girls are growing up too fast

C9, let's just call it, Saleisha was her cause.

Now her cause is to have models and men/women make the same amount of money in any career field. 

• Love 2

Anyway, Bello can't possibly be a real person. He's so bizarre that I'm starting to think that he's doing some sort of performance art project. The hot tub scene with the mirror gave me the willies

or a tryout for Zoolander 3

Edited by rhygirl720
  • Love 3
Nyle wasn't drafted into this with no other choice, though. I agree that the others SHOULD attempt to communicate with him in his comfort zone as a nice gesture. But it seems to me the same as if I walked into a room full of Italians in Italy and expected that they would communicate with me in English. Accomodating me is not their job. I have to step up and learn how to communicate in Italian. (This just happened this week, so that's why the example is so specific.)

Except Nyle can't learn to hear or talk.

I agree that he chose to be here and the situation he is in could pretty much be expected, because none of these people are here to be nice or to make friends. But taking away his phone (which happens to be the way he is trying to learn to communicate with others) was a pretty shitty move and the worst thing is I'm not sure anyone understood this. Reading lips in a crowd where everybody is talking at the same time is not easy.

• Love 8

The whole thing about Nyle's phone smells like typical reality show manipulation to make a mountain of of a molehill. Far be it for me to defend Devin because I can't stand him, and taking the phone was inconsiderate at minimum. However, I'd be curious to know how often Nyle speaks with his phone and how long Devin had it. If Nyle is constantly yammering away on that phone, and Devin took it for 20 minutes that's one thing. But if Nyle does it once in a while, and Devin had it for 2 minutes, that puts a whole different complexion on the situation.

Moving on... someone upthread mentioned it being odd that Courtney spends all this time "modeling" with her selfies but doesn't know even the basics about fashion. I thought so too. But after thinking about it, I realized that the thing with the selfies is really not about wanting to be a model or be involved in the fashion industry. It's just about having rock bottom self esteem and wanting people to validate her and tell her that she's pretty. Courtney has no aspirations in fashion. She doesn't really even care about being a model. She's just there playing the odds that she might be able to win this thing without actually having to work at it or be good at it, and maybe at the end, Tyra will hand her the job on a silver platter. This is why I cannot like her. She sits around being weak and helpless, but I have yet to see her put one iota of actual effort into learning how to be a good model or winning the competition. I'm willing to bet that if she has seen a copy of Vogue since that day, it's because somebody put it in her hands, not because she actively went out to get a copy of it and educate herself.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 5

>I had no idea that he was born without vocal chords! I thought that his not speaking was a choice.

For people born deaf, learning to speak is very difficult. Deaf people who speak spent years in speech therapy to get there.

• Love 5

Honestly, Courtney just makes me sad. For someone to have so little self esteem or self worth as to chase after someone just because he once showed her some hint of kindness, even though it was only briefly and was shown fairly explicitly to not even be genuine? That makes me just so, so sad. I agree with those who said she was far too fragile for this industry and this show. I have no idea how someone with so little sense of self worth can be helped to develop some, but I hope that whatever that involves, she gets some of that, because no one should think that little of themselves.

As for Nyle and the phone incident, I got the impression that, although this is probably the first time anyone has just grabbed his phone like that, he has probably tried several times to suggest ways that they could help make him feel included (try not to all speak at once, enunciate at least a little when speaking, try to face him when speaking if possible, etc.), and most of them have made no efforts at all, so when this happened, he was just over it, and sometimes it's easier to just walk away than to get into it all again. I don't imagine he expects everyone to be perfectly accommodating all the time (a party full of hearing people is never going to be an ideal situation for a deaf person), but I don't think expecting others not to completely disregard his needs is being that unreasonable. Plus, Devin in particular has already shown himself to be pretty uninterested in making any efforts in that direction.

• Love 9

I wonder if Nyle learned how to crunch his core for a photoshoot or lost some body fat, because he's looking significantly more ripped in shirtless photos now than he was in the first week. Usually you can start to spot the models putting on some weight or going a little soft around the edges at this point, rather than tightening up.

Edited by snakenax

Devin is a braying jackass.

During the phone incident I wasn't even focussed on how Nyle uses his phone to communicate with the rest of the group! I was just merely furious that someone would take someone else's phone and use it to take pics etc! It's called "Personal Technology" for a reason! 

Frankly, I can't imagine taking on the attitude that it's not my job to reach out to someone like him and make sure he feels included and not just to get into his pants, ok? (mostly, tho)

• Love 4

Where do I get a Nyle doll...life sized! Please! For me he is the hottest guy they have ever had on this show. Yowza! Other than that, I got nothing.

I know -- he makes me wanna learn sign language!  

Every time Kelly asks him to take off his shirt I think she is a dirty old woman.....but I'm so glad she did.

He is absolutely beautiful and he seems like such a nice guy too!

• Love 3

Re: Nyle's complaining

I'm actually surprised he doesn't complain more.  These people lose their cool over ridiculous things like who is in the bathroom when they go to the bathroom, and who said their picture shouldn't be there, and who are mean girls and who aren't.  They all place stock in being able to develop relationships within the house.  There is no more effort that Nyle's can make to be included.  He has done all he can on that account.  So for the rest of the contestants to actively exclude him or make no effort to include him in anything is just mean spirited.  They aren't allowing him the same opportunity to develop those relationships that the rest of them find so important.  But they are all such self involved people that they don't even see beyond themselves.  Especially Devin -- who, all things considered, should be especially sympathetic to someone that has been left out due to factors out of his control.

• Love 2

When the makeup person was greasing Nyle up for the doll shoot I actually muttered "Best. Job. Ever." out loud. Luckily nobody knows I watch this train wreck of a show. My love for Nyle is the reason I tune in each week.

If I was the makeup person he would have been looking like an oil slick from all the oil I would put all over him.  And I would be right there with the rag to mop it all up.  I'm a sick old lady :(

Tyra was probably watching PBS while flying first class and saw a news story on how few women there are in STEM.  But its kind of old news and a stale cause to get behind at this point.  I guess there are still parts of the country where women are actively discouraged from getting into STEM, so maybe.

Sorry I'm late on posting but watched the Survivor premiere over ANTM and quite frankly best decision I made today.

Tyra's TyTyTips are just fucking annoying. Aspiring models should never go to her for advice ever, cause she'll give you stupid ass Tyra-isms and you'll not want to model after hearing things from Tyra.

I'm still wondering wy I'm watching this trash. WTF they're bringing back the eliminated people. Oy, this show. 

Tyra is all about trying to brand things and make these ridiculous sayings happen.  I'm not going to start referring to a man's abs as his "boom, boom, boom"  And if you go on a photo shoot and start talking about how you're gonna try to "tooch and booch" for this shot I'm pretty sure you'll get laughed at.  Ty tips all sound ridiculous and vague.  But...par for the course.

But wait, there's more!  If you call RIGHT NOW and register with 6 or more agencies, you get their management for the bargain price of only $499.95 Each!  That's a savings of $600 dollars!  But you MUST call now!  1-888-SUC-KERS.  Don't Delay, Call Today!

LMAO!  Dying!

Also, what was up with Tyra's dress at panel?  It looked like she stepped into it and tore the hem with the heel of her shoe.  And that outfit at the photoshoot (those shorts, eek!).  Her wardrobe this cycle has been bad and it looks like she's wearing similar stiff on her daytime show Fablife.  Maybe it's from Zappo's Couture?

Thank you!  I was like -- is this a thing now, wearing clothes that look like you just had an accident?

I know I'm seriously in the minority here but I actually like Yu Tsai. He's no Mr. Jay but some of the things he says have me in stitches. Calling Devin a "shipped from Taiwan, broken in the box doll" (or something to that effect) was spot-on.<br /><br />Justin and Nyle are too much hotness for one competition. LOVE them both.

I like Yu Tsai -- he may have his one liners pre-written, but I think they are funny.  And he always has a near smile on his face that makes me unable to hate him.

• Love 1

For the Nyle fans - he has had 2 guest roles in ABC Family's show Switched at Birth. I noticed him on last night's episode and wondered if his ANTM challenge had actually led to something. Then I realized that I recognized him from much earlier in the series pre-ANTM. He plays Garrett, a deaf friend of one of the main characters. 

• Love 2

Yeah, but as wrong as it is, at the same time she also makes things even WORSE with how she allows people to step all over her. I mean we don't really see her interacting with anyone except the most repulsive people in the house--so either the show is editing out her dealing with the (few) sane ones, or on some level she WANTS Mikey and his posse to abuse her, so she can feel sorry for herself.

Honestly, Courtney just makes me sad. For someone to have so little self esteem or self worth as to chase after someone just because he once showed her some hint of kindness, even though it was only briefly and was shown fairly explicitly to not even be genuine? That makes me just so, so sad. I agree with those who said she was far too fragile for this industry and this show. I have no idea how someone with so little sense of self worth can be helped to develop some, but I hope that whatever that involves, she gets some of that, because no one should think that little of themselves.

This is a good way to put it. Mikey showed her some small attention initially, mostly I think as a form of flirtation, and that opened the door to her not having any judgment at all with him. He's an utter slimeball, and if she realizes that at all, it's almost like self-punishment on her part to keep panting after his disgusting ass.

On another topic... "Wide Eyed Smize" is Tyrant taking her idiotic self-invented terms and going even pathetically further.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

On another topic... "Wide Eyed Smize" is Tyrant taking her idiotic self-invented terms and going even pathetically further.

she is really looking to be the Maya Angelou of the modelling industry.  Or that guy on the street who yells crazy words at you.  I can't really tell where she is going with this, but I could see it ending in a book about modelling.

• Love 1

IF this was really a fair contest, or a credible one. then Lacey winning the season would be a shoo-in at this point.

Given that this is instead an arbitrary piece of shit reality show, her winning so often is instead almost a certain sign now she WON'T win. Because the "improvement arc" and terms like "peaking too soon" will be tossed around, and one of these other idiots will win instead.

I'm supposing Nyle is getting the true winner's edit--and at least he isn't an idiot. Or possible Justin (and he's only SLIGHTLY one). Distant chance of Mame (and she definitely IS an idiot).