Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E01: Second Chance

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Who the heck voted for Abi to be on?? I guess it gives us something to talk about.

I'm assuming they were all hate-votes. As in, people who enjoy that kind of drama. 

IIRC, didn't we HAVE to vote for 10 ladies and 10 men? Like you couldn't just vote for the people you actually wanted unless you voted for a certain number. That kind of annoyed me. 

I am still rooting for Spencer.....he was my favorite on his season and I still really like him.

I liked Spencer too! I hope his insights on building relationships take him far this time. 

• Love 7

I like Woo, and I don't get the hate as he really didn't do anything bad during his season. The only stupid thing he did was take Tony to the finals which was the biggest and stupidest move on his part. Woo was carefree during his time so I don't get the Woo hate either.

I like Spencer too, and I didn't get Spencer saying he was arrogant during his season. He had to fight, claw, and scratch to stay in the game especially when they were 3 tribes because once the men were voted off and Spencer was the only one, they made it apparent that he would be next unless he proved himself. Seriously the women were thinking of getting rid of Spencer over J'Tia (worst player ever) and that was the brain tribe. Even after the merge he had to keep winning immunity challenges to keep himself in the game and he played a smart game during that one tribal council where he told everyone to go for Plan B without spoiling who it was and that person went home instead of the main person they wanted to get rid of.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 7

Is it? It sure doesn't seem to be. Russell took and burned someone's socks, Sandra took and burned Russell's hat. I'm sure there are other examples.

LOL  Forgot about Russel's hat.    More love to Sandra.

• Love 7

I've watched every season of this since the Australia (because I apparently thought the first season was going to be a gimmick "fluke", durrrrrrrr).

And I swear I don't remember Jeff Varner, or peanut-butter-gate.  Is it just me?

No, I had to google him up to remind me who he was.  I watched that season but only its original airing.  So many contestants have stepped down for food, I'm not surprised I don't remember him doing it.  All I really recall from Australia is Colby, Tina, Jerry and the annoying chef dude Colby didn't take to the final, handing Tina the win.  For some reason I recall Colby winning an Aztek (Walter White's ugly car) and a night with his mom in it.  lol.  Oh and Mike Skupin burning himself and being medevaced.  I guess Jeff left right after Mike, 6th to go, so no wonder we don't remember much.  

Edited by Guest

I don't appreciate cluelessness. Woo and Keith are clueless. It drives me crazy to see people out there playing a game without the slightest clue as to what is happening or the savy to actually play. Woo was a non-entity in his first season. He wasn't even eye candy because he was barely on the screen because he didn't do anything. I don't want someone who melts under pressure. Keith was given a script to follow and he managed to screw it up so badly that his son was voted out. Woo was given a script when he agreed to flip on Tony and managed to botch that even before they got to tribal.

Clueless players are not fun to watch because they bumble around and they are hard for anyone who actually wants to do something because the clueless folks are so freaking clueless that they will most likely interfere with anything that anyone is planning. It is one thing for someone to be screwed over because Sandra was spying and heard the plan and could flip it it is another thing for a well thought out plan to fail because a clueless player doesn't play the role they were suppose to play.

So yeah, make the clueless players go away.

• Love 5
Joe is nice looking but I think its personality that brings that to the fore.  Woo is actually prettier to me.

Completely agreed, on all fronts.  People like Joe because he's simply likeable and positive.  It would be hard not to.  Not because he's literally the most beautiful thing they've ever seen. On an island, with only THOSE people?  You bet he's going to be dreamy.  And Woo -- well, yeah.

Even though Woo really was out of it at this TC, I'm going to argue that sometimes he very deliberately plays clueless too.   The argument that Woo is so clueless he screws up everyone's plans doesn't really work.  He deliberately screwed over Spencer last season , and he never once screwed up Tony's plans which took the both of them all the way to the final -- Tony's brilliant plan all along.   Woo was never going to vote out Tony.  It wasn't something he 'screwed up'; he did exactly what he wanted to.  Now was it the stupid thing to do - sure.  He lost the game and lost out on the money.  But he didn't go around fumbling up planned moves.  

I like Spencer too, and I didn't get Spencer saying he was arrogant during his season. He had to fight, claw, and scratch to stay in the game especially when they were 3 tribes because once the men were voted off and Spencer was the only one, they made it apparent that he would be next unless he proved himself. Seriously the women were thinking of getting rid of Spencer over J'Tia (worst player ever) and that was the brain tribe. Even after the merge he had to keep winning immunity challenges to keep himself in the game and he played a smart game during that one tribal council where he told everyone to go for Plan B without spoiling who it was and that person went home instead of the main person they wanted to get rid of.

In my opinion, Cagayan is one of the top 5 seasons of all time.  Your description brought back memories and gave me goosebumps.  And it was recent enough, so that is why there is Spencer, Woo, Tasha, and Kass all back from that season.

I'm so glad they showed the clip of Spencer saying "Kass, you have zero chance of winning this game."  It made zero sense for TPTB to back that clip with Spencer narrating that he was too arrogant in Cagayan.  Actually his statement was 100% accurate, especially right when he said it.  Spencer is a fascinating player because he was so visibly frustrated all the time and didn't filter himself.  Didn't care about hurt feelings.  Unfortunately he might change that all this time around; hopefully he'll be fascinating in a different way.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

I was very torn between wanting Vytas or Abi to get the boot, but every time they showed him in those boxer briefs or whatever he had on, I was like, "nope he's gotta go".  But boy Abi was ridiculous with her, "I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt" crap after blabbing to everyone where she found her bracelet.  She can go next week.

• Love 8

That was my first thought when I saw Varner and Kimmi.  Smart. 

I thought I was the only one who noticed the thickness on Varner (who I did not recognize at all until he started talking) and Kimmi. Major props to her for rocking a two piece sans rock hard abs. 

Kelly lost her Screech/Dylan Klebold look with all of her surgical procedures. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

• Love 5

I was disappointed that the tribes were preselected.  I wanted a schoolyard pick so that I could obsess over who picked who and why.  I think that was a missed opportunity.  Oh well.

Yeah, I was wishing somebody had told us how the tribes were divided up.

• Love 1

It just occurred to me who I think precipitated the the old school/new school division.  My brain immediately goes to Rupert and his emerging from the water in the Pearl Islands, grinning at the camera and talking about them being pirates and stealing the other team's unattended belongings as booty.  

It was only the 7th season, but for me, Rupert was the catalyst for the shift from hard work and cooperation to gamesmanship and treachery.  And consequently, that was the season of Jonny Fairplay and his un-dead grandma.  

My personal Survivor watershed season. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

It's funny, I remember Borneo, Australia and Africa like they were yesterday.  There are several seasons in the middle where it all becomes a blur.  I sometimes go back and look up cast pictures and I still don't remember the player...like this season's Monica.  I know the face, but have zero clue about anything she did.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to have a Survivor made entirely of one-time winners?

• Love 5
I like Woo, and I don't get the hate as he really didn't do anything bad during his season.

I would like Woo except for the stunt he pulled in his first season.  I admit it's been long enough for me to forget all the details, but didn't he rifle through Spencer's pants and steal the idol clue?  Then shared it with everyone else?  I thought it was dirty play to steal the clue and he lost me there.  (Coming from a Spencer fan, of course.)

• Love 3
And I swear I don't remember Jeff Varner, or peanut-butter-gate.  Is it just me?

I remember Jeff, but not really the peanut butter thing. When I think of Survivor and peanut butter I think of Heidi and Jenna from the Amazon. 

• Love 5

I thought I was the only one who noticed the thickness on Varner (who I did not recognize at all until he started talking) and Kimmi. Major props to her for rocking a two piece sans rock hard abs. 

Kelly lost her Screech/Dylan Klebold look with all of her surgical procedures. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

So much time has passed since we've seen Varner, Kimmi and Kelly Wigglesworth.  I think Varner is aging very nicely (as in, ROWR), Kimmi is a mom and she seems very comfortable in her skin (which I love), and Kelly's look doesn't bother me much - it's clear she's had some facial work done, but she's also thinner than when she was a young twenty-something in Borneo, which I think accounts for some of the difference in her looks.

Basically, I feel like I've grown up with these three contestants and I'm really looking forward to this season to see how the vets do against the newer players.  I'm curious to see if their veteran status makes them more of a target, or if they'll get to stick around longer and possibly win due to their status with such a long-running and successful show like Survivor.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 6

Good premiere!

There is no old school/new school.  The game play has evolved over the years.  Each season learned some tricks from the one before and on it goes.  I became bored with that talk.  It didn't sound like Varner had been watching this much, if at all.   Love the guy, though, and hope he goes far.  I want to be his friend. 

Abi is a bitch, she knows it and appears to be proud of releasing the Brazilian dragon.  When you name your personality flaw it means you love it.   ugh   Her tribe is fortunate in that there will be no angst with the next boot.  They can all breathe easily. 

Wigglesworth had a nose job, that is all.  It can change your appearance dramatically as evidenced with Jennifer Gray. I think she looks good. 

Loved Wentworth's deft snag of the idol!  I love this twist.  All kinds of things can happen with this.  Genius.  

I don't like Shirin, never did.  

In general this is a good cast. 

• Love 2

I like Woo, and I don't get the hate as he really didn't do anything bad during his season. The only stupid thing he did was take Tony to the finals which was the biggest and stupidest move on his part. Woo was carefree during his time so I don't get the Woo hate either.

Go to his thread here, and read. Be enlightened about Woo.

I was so over Abi and her freaking bracelet that I actually yelled, "Great you found it. Now STFU about it." at the TV.

From back a ways but the thing that REALLY bothered me was that after she found it she told just about anyone available/who would listen that PG stole her bracelet but she wasn't going to mention it or 'call her out' about it because it wasn't worth it. Telling everyone she did it but saying she didn't care showed how much she DID care. Argh.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 4

could someone fill me in on the 'race to the rice' in the opening??  I lost my picture on that part.thanks

Okay - so the thing was, they were in their fancy boats - they had to go onto the big boat and get all their supplies, then they had to figure out when to leave and get the big big bag of rice. so. team Varner-Kellies left out first, followed by team Kimmie-Ciera. (because heck all if i am going to remember the actual team names). Kelly Wigglesworth went swimming ahead of the boat, and then someone from team Kimmie-Ciera went to go swim then Woo jumped off the boat (Woo is on team Varner-Kellies), and Woo! Wins! The Rice! (he hugged the rice very lovingly. it was cute). 

• Love 1

I thought Spencer would have learned from his first experience that it's probably a bad idea to vote out people who can help win challenges right off the bat. (And I am no fan of Vytas.) But more than that, he should have learned that you never keep the crazy around. Keeping the crazy just means you lose challenges and you're stuck at camp with someone batshit annoying everyone and eventually burning your rice supply.

• Love 10

From Gordon Holmes recap - he was there. 

Behind the Scenes Tidbit: Probst threw the buffs at the cast and some of them landed in the water.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Shirin was the last one out of her boat.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Spencer nearly squished a chicken when he fell onto the raft.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Deitz left the big boat to go back for his sandals. I thought he was crazy.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Woo got some serious cuts on his feet during all the excitement.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Kass ate a really hot pepper and tried to get Tasha to eat one. I don’t know why I thought that was so funny.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: I overheard Ciera telling Stephen and Kass that she was close with Vytas, but Hayden Moss called her and warned her that he couldn’t be trusted.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Kass told Stephen and Ciera that she wants Spencer out first. Not surprising.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Peih-Gee tried to sneak a flint bracelet into the game.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Woo and Shirin had an adorable moment where they were taking selfies with a piece of wood.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Apparently Vytas nominated Kelly to build the pole.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: TV doesn’t do justice to how freaked out they were when they weren’t sent back to camp.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Woo really didn’t know. He was desperate.

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit: Varner gave Joey Amazing a new nickname, “One-man Show Joe.”

Behind-the-Scenes Tidbit:Varner also stopped Tribal to make sure Peih-Gee was voting the way she had told him in the ocean.

Abi voted for Vytas and said she had to stick to the plan. Woo voted for Abi because he was voting with the majority. Wentworth voted for Vytas because someone had to be first. Vytas voted for Abi and said he wanted to play with her. Wiglesworth voted for Abi and said Abi needed to work on her social skills. Spencer voted for Vytas and said that he learned that Varner is a crazy person. Shirin voted for Vytas and said she didn’t believe it when he said he was just playing for fun. Jeff voted for Vytas, but his comment was too quiet to hear. Peih-Gee voted for Vytas and said she tried to talk everyone out of it. And, Dietz voted for Abi but was worried because of the “Varner Bomb.”

It occurred to me that PG may have thought she found an idol when she found Abi's bracelet?  Though I don't know why she wouldn't cop to that.

• Love 4
Australia was one of the hardest seasons in terms of food, but really?  Anyway, he ended up being voted out that night, due in part to Kimmy (also on Survivor Second Chance) and her big mouth.

Context to Varner being hungry enough to be swayed by peanut butter, I remember Australia as being the season where contestants were actually starving.  Toward the end, Elisabeth was losing hair by the hand full due to lack of nutrition and the older guy she was aligned with (I forgot his name) was so thin that I actually was concerned for his health. The seasons after that, the food rewards seemed to be more plentiful. No more starving to the point of concave stomachs (Elisabeth, again), or eating rats (Season One). 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

Did I imagine it or did the reward include flint, matches, wood and kerosene?  I know that humidity will make fire-starting tougher, but these guys are Survivor returnees.  Can we make it a little tougher for them?  The only thing they were missing were charcoal briquettes.

It's too easy. I bet for a guy like Varner it's got to be overwhelming. In season 2 they had to use a map and compass to find their camp and faced a 5 mile hike with all their gear/food in 100+degree weather. What here they could just load up a raft full of all sorts of fruits, comforts, chickens, nets, etc.? It doesn't need to be that hard, but come on this was easy.

Honestly, if it was just a rice reward on the other ship, I would stay and take everything that I could float on that raft from ship 1 and let the other guys go get the rice.

Well, I kind of give her a pass. I'm guessing it's different to be the iconic first loser, especially with the rats and snakes bit. I could see how that could be an albatross to some people.

I took it as she got put on the spot by Peaches and said whatever came to mind. I seriously doubt she's dwelled on it a tenth of what she said. Probably a lot at first, didn't she run off to Mexico to be a yoga instructor or something for a while after the show? I imagine for anyone on the first season of Survivor the press and public interest in your life would be pretty overwhelming since it was so popular at the time.

Andrew Savage has really let himself go. I thought most guys shaved their chests so their muscle definition is more easily visible. Doesn't work when there's just flab. Jeff Varner also put on lots of weight. Granted, it's been 12 and 14 years, but I guess they didn't have time to get into shape.

Enough with the fat shaming already. Jeff Varner is nearly 50. He was on the show 15 years ago. You're going to hold him to that standard? And, kudos to Kimmi for being comfortable in her own skin. 

• Love 20

I was torn between Vytas and Abi but when it was pointed out to Vytas that nobody wanted to see him push his "idol" in the air at camp I'm glad he's gone.  I was hoping for Abi though because as I recall, Vytas is a competitor but unlikeable.

About the bracelet, I read a long time ago they're allowed one "luxury" item and if that was her's it probably meant more than an ugly watchband looking thing.  Maybe someone gave it to her.

I'm not as big of a fan as a lot of people here, I had to miss a lot of episodes through the years and now I understand CBS charges  a subscription fee to see their shows.  But I recall finding Woo a hoot.  He was amazing at physical challenges and as I recall most people liked him.  I'm liking Kaos Kass too although she's clearly embracing the nickname.  UO I know.  Like I said I don't research this show so feel free to disagree.

I still like the younger Kelley and Kelly seems cool, too. Someone said everyone was put on a boat without warning in the clothes they were wearing.  Still, I think it's smart to go in with a little weight but being fit.  Some of the women in particular were scary thin through the years and it really turned me off to the series.  Starvation isn't fun to watch.  

FWIW the tree looked dead to me.  It's much harder to split green wood by hand but Fish should have known that. 

ETA I thought they were given a lot of fire making tools because everyone is saying how damp it is in Cambodia.  So if you have a Joe who can make fire maybe it's not so easy the next time.

Edited by QuelleC

It has been said that it is wise to lose a little weight before you go, not gain.  It is about adjusting your metabolism to run efficiently with less food.  

And yes, that was a dead palm tree.  It had no fronds.  

Dietz voted for Abi but was worried because of the “Varner Bomb.”

What did he mean by this?  

ETA:  Abi would have been the better choice because Vytas was stronger in challenges. 

Edited by wings707

No, not just "nose job, that is all."  There's a lot that's different, what about the lips.

554c1ccc26dff1.47239936_r.jpgkelly-wiglesworth-s31-vote.jpg?9bc88f

I stand corrected!  Nose AND lips.  :>) 

I think it is good if you want plastic surgery.  Only when things are overly done does it look bad.   She looks good!  

In his recap, Dalton Ross over at ew.com also has ton of info about things that weren't shown (he was also there). There is also an 8-minute video of a conversation with Jeff about the first 3 days.

The Varner bomb was something that happened at tribal that they did not show. Jeff asked PG and Kelly Wentworth if they were voting the way they said they were earlier in the day. They said yes. Terry, Kelly Wiglesworth, and Vytas were suppose to be allied. Jeff's question told them that he was not voting with them and may have flipped Spencer's vote.

This was seen by all the reporters out there and has been discussed by Probst and in all of Vytas's interviews. I have no clue why they didn't show it.

Yeah, I was wishing somebody had told us how the tribes were divided up.

I'm sure production divided them to be as even as they could. They won't do a schoolyard pick because of the pre game alliance.

Okay - so the thing was, they were in their fancy boats - they had to go onto the big boat and get all their supplies, then they had to figure out when to leave and get the big big bag of rice. so. team Varner-Kellies left out first, followed by team Kimmie-Ciera. (because heck all if i am going to remember the actual team names). Kelly Wigglesworth went swimming ahead of the boat, and then someone from team Kimmie-Ciera went to go swim then Woo jumped off the boat (Woo is on team Varner-Kellies), and Woo! Wins! The Rice! (he hugged the rice very lovingly. it was cute).

That was Joe. He was catching up to Kelly so Woo jumped in and took over.

Stephen Fishback in his blog says rice is really important because fruit rots, and they were disappointed to lose it

Is it? It sure doesn't seem to be. Russell took and burned someone's socks, Sandra took and burned Russell's hat. I'm sure there are other examples.

I really enjoyed this first ep. Kelley Wentworth got an amazing edit. I liked her last time, so I'm excited about her. She seems so hated online though and I haven't been able to figure out why.

I despised Vytas last time, so I was really pleased to see him go. And to see Terry, who I also despise, blindsided.

Yeah the only thing you can't take from someone is the idol. Anything else is allowed in the rules but it doesn't seem to happen very much. They go through each other's stuff almost every season but they have so little that hardly anything gets stolen. Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

IIRC, didn't we HAVE to vote for 10 ladies and 10 men? Like you couldn't just vote for the people you actually wanted unless you voted for a certain number. That kind of annoyed me. 

If they hadn't done that then the cast would most likely be 90% men.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

If they hadn't done that then the cast would most likely be 90% men.

I think what the OP is suggesting is that we should have been able to only vote for the people we like (but still split by gender with 10 each) rather than be forced to fill a ballot, i.e. being able to vote for as many or as few people as you want on American Idol. I would have preferred to not be forced to give Keith votes, but he was a lesser-of-evils of the remaining 7 male options after exhausting my first 9.

• Love 3

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Personally, I put the oldskool/new school line of demarcation around the appearance of our Dear Sainted (and Cursed) Hidden Immunity Idol. More specifically, around the time that said idol made its way to camp (a.k.a. production got tired of shooting on Exile Island). I've often wondered if there's so much early scheming because you have to plan for Our Dear Sainted/Cursed Idol. When it was just "win immunity or you're gone," there was really no need to strategize in earnest until you lost a challenge. YMMV.

And even if it was production-based, I think oldskool/new school theme worked in almost a "Fans vs. Favorites" way. Many people don't know or don't remember the oldskool players -- they might as well be totally new people. Only the newer season people are memorable due to recency.

No strong opinions yet, so that's a plus. I did think Spencer was massively overrated in his first season, but I'm determined to be more zen about him this year, because if I hate him too much, he'll win. The rest, I could take or leave. (Though I admit to being very curious about Woo and am headed over to that thread now).

Glad Survivor is back. Yay, reality editing -- I miss it when you take the summer off.

• Love 2

I think what the OP is suggesting is that we should have been able to only vote for the people we like (but still split by gender with 10 each) rather than be forced to fill a ballot, i.e. being able to vote for as many or as few people as you want on American Idol. I would have preferred to not be forced to give Keith votes, but he was a lesser-of-evils of the remaining 7 male options after exhausting my first 9.

Ah, ok! Yea, I would've preferred that, too, but I don't really think it would've changed the outcome of the cast.

Edited by peachmangosteen

I don't like Shirin, never did.  

Shirin pissed me off during her season playing the victim and her constant Survivor trivia. I hope she tones it down. I doubt it though.

Watching the "old school" cast on this season reminded me of why I do not attend any high school reunions. The memories are so fresh that seeing them a bit older can be jarring.

Forgive me for being a hormonal woman, but Joe still looks good to me. That is all.

What I don't understand: how did it get dark so fast if they went straight to tribal council after the immunity challenge? It sunny bright during the challenge and now it's dark.

I noticed that too. I assume they did some sort of sequestering of the tribe so that they couldn't talk to each other until tribal council? Granted, I have no idea how quickly the sun sets in the part of Cambodia where they filmed this (or any other part of Cambodia, for that matter), but it seemed pretty bright out when Jeff announced they were going straight to tribal council and then it seemed like it was pitch black when they got there.

Stupid Abi and her stupid bracelet. Here's a thought. Why not just say, "hey everyone, I misplaced my bracelet and it really means a lot to me. Could you please check your bags to see if I accidentally put it in the wrong bag?" Instead she's all "it's a conspiracy" and goes accusing everyone. She can't leave fast enough.

This is what got to me as well—why was it assumed that someone took it? All those bags looked pretty similar. If I were Abi-Maria or anyone else on that tribe, I would have assumed she put it in the wrong bag, rather than that someone took it. Why would someone do that anyway? As usual, Abi's reasoning skills are found wanting.

I would like Woo except for the stunt he pulled in his first season.  I admit it's been long enough for me to forget all the details, but didn't he rifle through Spencer's pants and steal the idol clue?  Then shared it with everyone else?  I thought it was dirty play to steal the clue and he lost me there.  (Coming from a Spencer fan, of course.)

I thought stealing the clue was fair game, especially since Woo worked for it: he followed Spencer, saw him searching for the idol, and then picked up Spencer's pants and the clue fell out. But even if Woo had rifled through Spencer's bag and found it, I would have still thought it was fair game. Players going through each other's things has happened often enough and for long enough that I don't think anyone who is on the show—much less returning players—has any reasonable expectation of privacy for their bags at camp. If you don't want people to find something of yours, keep it on your person at all times or find a hiding place for it in the woods. It was a school-boy error Spencer made and I suspect he will be a lot more careful this time.

In general, I thought this was a strong start. There are several people I am rooting for: Spencer, Stephen (though based on his edit in this episode, I think he's toast), Tasha, Jeremy, and—to my surprise—Kelley Wentworth. I never cared much for Shirin, but now that she's with a bunch of other people who are willing to overthink the game with her, she seems far more comfortable and makes me cringe a lot less than she did on her first outing.

What I don't understand: how did it get dark so fast if they went straight to tribal council after the immunity challenge? It sunny bright during the challenge and now it's dark.

My question as well!  Bright, noon day sun when he said they were going to TC and pitch dark when they arrived.  PLUS, most of them had on different clothes it seemed to me.  So where were they for all that time and how did new wardrobes arrive.  Come on Jeff, we're not stupid and blind.  Otherwise, looks like it could be a great season.

• Love 1

I thought stealing the clue was fair game, especially since Woo worked for it: he followed Spencer, saw him searching for the idol, and then picked up Spencer's pants and the clue fell out. But even if Woo had rifled through Spencer's bag and found it, I would have still thought it was fair game. Players going through each other's things has happened often enough and for long enough that I don't think anyone who is on the show—much less returning players—has any reasonable expectation of privacy for their bags at camp. If you don't want people to find something of yours, keep it on your person at all times or find a hiding place for it in the woods. It was a school-boy error Spencer made and I suspect he will be a lot more careful this time.

Whether it was fair game or not is debatable.  I agree that Spencer should have kept better control over his stuff.  But regardless of whether rifling through someone's pants was allowed or not, I think it was definitely shady.  Especially the way Woo did it.  He acted like he was being a nice guy and giving Spencer his pants, when it was clearly obvious from the way he shook them that he was trying to see what was in them.  Then, as testimony to the fact that he knew it was wrong, he grabbed the clue and ran away with it.  If it was "fair game", then why did he run away in guilt?  It's no wonder that many of his castmates called him "Weasel Woo" (see Woo thread).

I'm really interested to see if Woo has developed any sort of game at all, or if he's just going to find someone to cling to and be their patsy.  My guess is he's going to make Terry his Tony.  Woo seems hopeless.

Some randoms thoughts on the pilot episode. 

I thought for a second that Teresa (Survivor Africa) was playing the game. It was Kelly Wig. 

Loved the introduction. It has an old-school feel. 

I still like Kass, don't like Tasha. Surprisingly, I am liking Kelley Went and Keith. 

It seems pretty obvious that Jeff, Spencer and Shirin had some pre-game alliance. I hope Kass and Joe had one too. 

I was hoping that the votes cast against Abi and Vytas would end up 5-5 and that Jeff will announce that both are eliminated. That would be the best way to start the season. 

Next week's preview is about Takeo so I am expecting Bayon having a date at the tribal council. If so,  I think Kass or Stephen will be the first boot but I hope it will be Jeremy or Tasha. 

Regarding how tough this season will be. They are there during monsoon season and they are going to have an almost impossible time keeping a fire going. Seeing the size of that fire reward actually scared me, it shows how tough the conditions are going to be. That may be why they let them get supplies before the show started. Giving them kerosene and a tarp for wood is something I've never seen before.

Everything I've read about this season says it was one of the toughest seasons ever in terms of conditions and food.

The show isn't making this easy on them at all.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

I've watched every season of this since the Australia (because I apparently thought the first season was going to be a gimmick "fluke", durrrrrrrr).

I Looove Season 1 !!!    Do whatever you can to try and see it! !!  Their innocence about the game--   it's great to watch knowing what we know now.  In all the challenges Jeff doesn't commentate..it's silent.  Which is strange but quite refreshing (sorry Jeff) .  By the way.. I recall they did know that there would be a merge.  (wish they didn't). I'm sure you've heard about the season, but I'll leave it at that for you to see for yourself how the real game evolved there.

I prayed hard for Abi to exit last night, but now that she didn't , I'm anxious to see what's next with her crazy self.  I can see a clash between her and Shirin.for starters.      

• Love 1