Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E01: Second Chance

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Kelly thinks about it every day? For 15years?

Well, I kind of give her a pass. I'm guessing it's different to be the iconic first loser, especially with the rats and snakes bit. I could see how that could be an albatross to some people.

I hope however she leaves the game she can feel good about how she played.

• Love 8

Why?  Not looking to pick a fight, just wondering why you think they'd never do it.  I'm honestly up in the air about what production will and won't do.  Not sure why they'd do this - seems kinda petty and stupid, with a high probability that it'd just get handed back to the owner with no hard feelings.  

It is way too blatant and if caught they could be facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit had it cause Peih-Gee to be voted out.

• Love 3

Why?  Not looking to pick a fight, just wondering why you think they'd never do it.  I'm honestly up in the air about what production will and won't do.  Not sure why they'd do this - seems kinda petty and stupid, with a high probability that it'd just get handed back to the owner with no hard feelings.  

Abi????  No hard feelings??    That's a dream.   I'm on board that it wasn't production tho.

• Love 4

This really was a good premiere!  This was really fun!

I like the cast.  I was skeptical on some of these people, but realize that America voted right for most of them!  They all seem to mesh well as an overall group.  I think the ten people who were shown before the group reached Probst will be the most important people of the season's events.

Surprised and not surprised that the men got more screen time than the women.

I'm surprised Jeremy's going for a male-dominant alliance this time after having previously gone for a female-dominant one in San Juan del Sur.  Tasha's seriously the only woman in that bunch?  At least he and Keith seem cool this go-round.  But Keith is still spitting.  Sigh.

Kelley is already showing how much she's come to play now that her annoying father isn't playing the game this time around.  I loved the scene with her thinking she'd found the idol, only to learn she'd just found the clue.  But good on her for slipping that idol off the tripod without anyone seeing!  I quite love the new twist of idols being hidden in challenges!  What a change!

Shirin is still annoying, but she is at least trying to dial it back this time around.  And I did like her spotting all of the tribe dynamics.  She was also right about Vytas being smarmy.  I don't know if I saw him as such in Blood vs. Water, but he was certainly smarmy his one episode on the show this season.

Abi-Maria . . . she can try all she wants, but her crazy will be coming right back out.  Look out, Peih-Gee!

That said, I didn't want to see her go out first.  I'm glad she stuck around.  I'm okay with Vytas going since I didn't like him at all in Blood vs. Water and can't see why anyone here would ever like him.  But whatever.  He's gone, so I'm happy!

And I still hate Terry, so the look on his face when he, Woo, and Kelly were blindsided was something to be seen! :)

Let's see how the rest of this season goes.  I'm already intrigued by it!

• Love 9
It is way too blatant and if caught they could be facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit had it cause Peih-Gee to be voted out.

I have to disagree, if I get your meaning.  People often assume that reality shows are bound by the old quiz show rules but there's every reason to suspect that they're not.  Survivor may well have a pre-determined winner (which I don't think they do) and be in no danger of anything except maybe this becoming known.  Peih-Gee, however, certainly signed an agreement that basically says production can do whatever they want and she is forbidden from talking about it.  I mean she might get somewhere if production was negligent and she got hurt or something but just for fucking with game play?  My guess: no way she'd have a case, but they'd have an excellent one against her.

Boy, that place looks beautiful, but I've spent too much time in the wet tropics to want to sleep rough there.  The insects and vegetation scream 'rain, rain, rain' to me, and being damp all the time gets old.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 6

The location is gorgeous!  I loved the opening with the marooning and Jeff almost getting smacked with bamboo, I'm sure a few contestants would have relished the idea.  I am loving what I'm seeing so far of Kelley and Shirin's game.  I did not think much of either of them strategically but Shirin was spot on with most observations she made and Kelley had 20x more energy than in SJDS. 

I was rooting for Fishbach, sigh.  What a poor beginning.  I'm hopeful that he got the idol : we know he was looking for the clue and if the idol is in the mirror spot of Ta Keo, he was exactly where he needed to be on the raft, and he was in the back at the pole challenge.  It's probably just my heart talking, but I'm hoping against reason he can get out of this mess on Bayon and get a favourable swap.

Abi is really something.  I can't see most contestants enduring that drama for long.  Loved seeing Jeff super expressive face every time Abi kvetched about her gosh darn bracelet.  He was loving the drama.

• Love 5

Ugh. Fucking Joe. When my husband asked if that was another guy with stupid hair or the same one, I knew exactly how he felt. My sympathy grew when he exclaimed, "But he was just on last season!" He went to bed right after. I foolishly stayed up.

Vytas and Joe were equally annoying with their yoga bullshit, but the women on Vytas' tribe were smarter. Who cares about some dude and his yoga when there's a game to be played? 

I really didn't care who left tonight, as long as it wasn't Wiglesworth. Varner also got to me. I'm glad they made it through the first vote. So much more interested in the "old school" players, as they categorize themselves. The game was more interesting back then, and so were the players.

I loved seeing Kimmi wearing the bikini, even though she has a bit of a belly. She wasn't self-conscious. It seemed like it was about being as cool as possible, given the conditions, and comfortable. Nothing particularly sexual or revealing about it, but also not trying to cover up.

• Love 10

I hate how i have to tape the show immediately after Survivor, or else I miss the tag.  That realllllllllllllly sucks.

Does anyone know where I can watch who voted for whom?

Usually wikipedia, or the video of Vytas's final words (including who voted for who) is up on the website/Youtube.  Vytas/Kelly Wigles/Terry/Woo all voted for Abi, and Abi/PG/Shirin/Kelley Wentworth/Varner/Spencer voted for Vytas.

I don't like Terry or Woo, so I'm glad it was there side that got blindsided.  I don't know what set Varner in motion next week to suddenly turn on the new schoolers, or if that's a red herring.  I do hope being in the minority alliance doesn't hurt Wiglesworth, especially if she has another bad challenge performance.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I have to disagree, if I get your meaning.  People often assume that reality shows are bound by the old quiz show rules but there's every reason to suspect that they're not.  Survivor may well have a pre-determined winner (which I don't think they do) and be in no danger of anything except maybe this becoming known.  Peih-Gee, however, certainly signed an agreement that basically says production can do whatever they want and she is forbidden from talking about it.  I mean she might get somewhere if production was negligent and she got hurt or something but just for fucking with game play?  My guess: no way she'd have a case, but they'd have an excellent one against her.

Boy, that place looks beautiful, but I've spent too much time in the wet tropics to want to sleep rough there.  The insects and vegetation scream 'rain, rain, rain' to me, and being damp all the time gets old.

The producers certainly have  a lot of leeway when it comes to manipulating the game, random swaps, making the tribe go right to TC right after the challenge like tonight or making rules up on the spot such as allowing a tribe to give up immunity and go right to TC like in season 24. But what they can't is blatantly try to sabotage someone's game by doing what has been suggested they did tonight. Had Peih-Gee gotten voted out and found out production set her up than you better believe she would have a good case if she chose to sue them. There is no question about it. 

• Love 8

Very anticlimactic episode. It was very obvious that the green team was going to lose, since we saw tons of footage of them discussing and allying. Footage of the girls all saying Vytas was creepy. And lots of footage about Abi Maria's stupid bracelet. I knew right away that it would be one of those two, and I figured it would be Vytas because he was in the "old school" which was smaller.

I can never tire of dim bulb Woo's stunned expressions when he gets surprised at tribal.

Stupid Abi and her stupid bracelet. Here's a thought. Why not just say, "hey everyone, I misplaced my bracelet and it really means a lot to me. Could you please check your bags to see if I accidentally put it in the wrong bag?" Instead she's all "it's a conspiracy" and goes accusing everyone. She can't leave fast enough.

I for one am so happy that Vytas is gone, so I don't have to look at his too tight swimsuit/underwear or whatever that atrocity was. I usually criticise the Survivor TPTB for excessive blurring, but honestly, I would have appreciated it here.

Andrew Savage has really let himself go. I thought most guys shaved their chests so their muscle definition is more easily visible. Doesn't work when there's just flab. Jeff Varner also put on lots of weight. Granted, it's been 12 and 14 years, but I guess they didn't have time to get into shape.

I am already sick of Golden Boy Joe, again.

How come only half the cast got their reflective interviews at the beginning?

• Love 8

Blackwing, I thought most people such as the current cast intentially put on weight. I think Savage & Terry ate a few extra burgers before heading out thus their guts looking bigger. The rest of their body didn't look overall heavy except their stomach. IMO!!!

Edited by ByaNose

Wow, I don't usually get to hate so many people right off the bat, but this second chance stuff lets me continue my dislike of a whole bunch of people at one time. I hope they all get voted off one by one. 

If Jeff refers to Kelly Wiglesworth as "Wiglesworth" one more time, I'm going to cut a bitch.

• Love 5

It's a criminal offense for production to mess with the results.  They even have standards & practices people on site for the taping of most reality shows, from what I hear.  

I thought Peih-Gee's explanation sounded totally plausible.  Production gave them all the same cheap bag for their few belongings.  PG found what she thought was an empty one since it had no name tag (which must've also been supplied?) so she threw her stuff in it and put her name on it.  Why would she want that ugly bracelet?  Why would any of these players (or even production) plant such a stupid trick on day 1?  

I think the only reason it made it to airing is because it showed Abi's ugly side, which they love.  She told virtually everyone on her tribe about it, while telling each one, "I'm not going to say anything to anyone, I won't make a big deal of it."  And that "benefit of the doubt" bs.  She made sure everyone knew she thought Peih-Gee stole it, while pretending to be so NBD about it.   

in normal Survivor, an athletic player like Vytas would virtually never be the first one eliminated, so this is already an example of how an all-veterans cast has a different mindset than a normal cast.  Ta Keo may have a tough time of it in physical challenges --- they have Woo, Spencer, Kelley as solid physical players but the jury's still out on how older Kelly or older Terry will do, and the others are nothing special.  Then again, this is generally not a cast that boasts too many physical threats overall, so I can see why Jeremy's plan to team up with Tasha/Joe/Savage is a smart one.  All will be targeted big-time come the merge to prevent an immunity run, especially Joe. 

Granted, the lack of pre-TC prep time may have influenced that vote, but it still seems like there's a pretty solid core of "Beach people vs. shelter people" as Jeff put it.  Jeff and Peih-Gee may be getting set up in a swing vote position, which could put them in a good spot given how quickly alliances in an all-returnees cast can shift.  He/she who best adapts will win.

It's too early to start parsing any hidden alliances or pre-show deal-type of things, though it's interesting to note that Vytas didn't have many ties to others.  Ciera was the only other person from the Blood vs. Water season and she was on the other tribe, while Terry had only a once-removed connection to Vytas through Aras.  Not that being on the same season necessarily implies a better connection (since who knows who's met in CBS events or whatever) but it already seems to be somewhat of a factor, as Shirin will tell anyone who will listen about the possibilities of past tribemates teaming up.

Do you get the feeling CBS and the Survivor producers were really kicking themselves over Kelley's early elimination in S29?  She already seems like a terrific, camera-friendly player.  Talk about a favourable first-episode edit, holy smokes.

• Love 8
But what they can't is blatantly try to sabotage someone's game by doing what has been suggested they did tonight. Had Peih-Gee gotten voted out and found out production set her up than you better believe she would have a good case if she chose to sue them. There is no question about it.

Sue them for what?  Breach of contract?  For not running a 'fair game'?  If it's for stealing her stuff, they started greenlighting players to steal from each other since at least the Russell Hantz seasons.

It's too early to start parsing any hidden alliances or pre-show deal-type of things, though it's interesting to note that Vytas didn't have many ties to others.

I don't follow enough of the behind-the-scenes stuff to know who is and isn't connected up - is it known that Vytas just doesn't keep in touch with others?  I suspected that pre-show alliances could be hugely telling but lack any way of guessing who's likely made a deal with whom.  With a cast this incestuous, it's just gotta be a factor, but I'll bet it's not as simple as 'who shared seasons in the past'.  My meager understanding is that folks from all previous seasons meet each other eventually if they're of the 'd-list wannabe celebs' type. 

It's a criminal offense for production to mess with the results.  They even have standards & practices people on site for the taping of most reality shows, from what I hear.

No offense, but apparently it isn't.  There's basically no evidence at all that the 'quiz show' rules have anything to do with reality tv, and some reason to suspect that nobody wants to put this to the test.  Some reality shows make little pretense about the fact that producers ultimately determine the winner (Project Runway comes to mind), and the inclusion of S&P on this show is apparently limited to the portions of it that purport to be actual contests, such as the reward and immunity challenges.  I got a bug in my ear way back in the TwoP days to listen carefully whenever Probst mentions S&P guys being on-set, and they were right - it's always in relation to challenges and he always seems to be deflecting.  Asked if the producers interfere in the game, the answer is 'of course not - S&P is always around for the challenges'.  That's not the same thing.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 4

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk.   By 45 minutes in, I was already sick of everyone's personal growth/philosophy/old school/new school bellybutton gazing.

Doesn't help that I dislike EVERYONE this time.

Or that I didn't watch the reunion show last season or pay much attention since, so I had no idea it was going to be recycled contestants for the umpteenth time.   I tuned in expecting new faces.

Jeff made a big fuss about all the contestants having been picked by voter's choice.    It seems a flawed system, as apparently contestants from more recent seasons had a decided edge over everyone else.   Seriously, Wu, Spencer AND Kass, all from the same season?   And Brainless Joe again so soon?  Ditto for disgusting Keith.   None of them deserve a second chance.   Wu was one of the most stupid players ever.   Joe was eliminated because he had zero gameplay.  And Shirin? Why Shirin?

I'm sad it's going to be a season of hatewatching.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

Everything changed, and yet in some ways still so much the same...

• Woo: Still weird and vaguely annoying.
  • Abi-Maria: Still the worst person ever. A nightmare.
  • Spencer: Still won't shut up.
  • Keith: Still old. Still a hick. GET ERR' DUNNNN!
  • Joe: Still Joe-ish (or maybe "Malcolm Jr.-ish")
  • Fishback: Still an uber-nebbish
  • Vytas: Still smarmy (Shirin is right about him).
  • Shirin: Still overplaying.  But also still hilarious.
  • Peih-Gee: Still... there.
  • Kass: Still transparently an ass.

Wait. Are they allowed to chop down whole trees?  They never have been before.

The clue leading to an immunity idol at the challenge?  Okay, that's a cool twist.  I even liked the little visual flash/flourish reminding us of where the idol was when Jeffy was talking about the challenge.

Insta-Tribal Council was also a neat twist. It would destroy this game if they always did that, but tossed in at an unexpected time it was a great move.  Especially if its the FIRST tribal. Why?  Because people had no time to plan and so were more likely to vote their true feelings, it destroys the pretense. It forces the early divisions out publicly right away and accelerates the drama over who finds out they have enemies.  

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 9
I'm sad it's going to be a season of hatewatching.

Not gonna lie - I wasn't hugely enthusiastic about any of these folks.  I seem to recall liking Spencer okay but this crowd seems more like the Survivor also-rans rather than the those who just missed winning.  I'll keep watching for now, but I'm dubious.

The clue leading to an immunity idol at the challenge?  Okay, that's a cool twist.

Mmm, yes and no.  Was cool where they stashed it but they left the clue to it where anyone could just stumble on it, and the clue pretty much guaranteed getting the idol.  Wasn't too much different than just leaving the idol where anyone could find it, although the whole 'being sneaky while everyone was engrossed in the task' thing was nifty.  At least they're trying new things that aren't stupid (I'm looking at you, second-chance island).  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

The producers certainly have a lot of leeway when it comes to manipulating the game, random swaps, making the tribe go right to TC right after the challenge like tonight or making rules up on the spot such as allowing a tribe to give up immunity and go right to TC like in season 24. But what they can't is blatantly try to sabotage someone's game by doing what has been suggested they did tonight. Had Peih-Gee gotten voted out and found out production set her up than you better believe she would have a good case if she chose to sue them. There is no question about it.

Stacey from season 1 sued CBS and Mark Burnett & Co., it was settled out of court, and the contract contestants sign suddenly got thicker. The show wins from that point on, you sign your life away to participate. Production can do whatever they want and you cannot say a word about it.

Abi has stated now, after the fact, that the whole bracelet thing was accidental and she didn't make as big a deal about it as we saw. I think production was hoping we'd all see RC in PG and think the history of things making their way into someone else's bag would repeat itself. On to the next show and the next crisis.

• Love 1

Abi has stated now, after the fact, that the whole bracelet thing was accidental and she didn't make as big a deal about it as we saw.

I'm curious how this could be true since she did say all of those things and she was wearing at least three different sets of clothes every time she brought it up.

• Love 15

Well, ya know, I have been on record as being extremely unenthusiastic about this season, but so far I'm totally wrong.  I was super into it.  I just love Survivor, and there was a lot to love about this episode.  #1 being Kelley Wentworth, who is just humongous out the gate and it's totally bad for me, because I'm going to get invested (well, why pretend, I am already invested) in her winning and it will break my heart/destroy my interest in the season when she gets voted out.  It will be Jenn all over again.  Only once, with Kim Spradlin, have I watched my early favorite win the game (Micronesia, the only other time my favorite won the season, doesn't count, because I saw it late and knew Parv was winning already.)  The stress will destroy me; but I'm fucking loving it so far.  She rocked it.  I am hoping, I am praying, that in a season of callbacks, her saying "he's dead to me" is a clue.

I also am loving Jeff Varner.  There's actually a lot of people I've never seen before on this cast (I know, I know, I call myself a Survivor fan): Jeff, Monica, Vytas, Kimmi, and Ciera.  Definitely out of that group, Jeff was the most featured, and definitely the most great.  Super-charming guy.  I loved his attitude and his approach.  I want to see him learn the New School and play the hell out of the game.  He seems to be getting it pretty good so far.  But talked too much at tribal, maybe.

Kelly Wigelsworth has something to prove!  She is really putting herself out there, emotionally and physically.  I never watch the pre-show interviews, but everyone was saying she wasn't into it, right?  Didn't seem to want to be there?  I guess that must have been for show because she's hungry.  Swimming ahead of the rafts was insane but also great. Reminds me of that season....was it Palau?...where a couple people jumped out of the boats to try to be first to the beach but of course ended up last to the beach.  But she was really hanging in there, and if it was strategy (get the other team to panic and jump in early) then it worked!  I am hoping she finds peace, as Hollywood and spooky tales have told me every ghost wants, and ends the Kelly Kurse which dooms all Kellys to edit invisibility, and thus grants Kelley Wentworth the opportunity to win.

What else?  I was disappointed the first challenge wasn't quite the real first challenge, which was simpler (and shot beautifully against the rising sun, the sort of artistic choice they've completely given up on ).  I think perhaps the instant tribal council was in the hopes of provoking another callback to the first season: the uncoordinated vote.  Didn't quite work but it was still great.  I still kind of just enjoy Abi's ridiculousness for no reason.  The Other Tribe sucks and will suck even more if the Alpha Male Alliance really becomes a thing, though it's definitely the least obnoxious brolliance I can remember, because it's formed not out of "vote out the weak, which means girls!!" but rather just "please don't notice I'm a challenge threat, look at this other challenge threat please".  Still Stephen is the only one I can remember on that tribe that I care about, and he is being loveably terrible right now.  (I wonder if Stephen will provide justification for my thinking he's vastly overrated, or will he prove me wrong?)  Savage still giving self-important speeches.  Jeremy still trying to run the game.  Joe still being tall and dreamy or whatever (you, sir, are no Malcolm) and painting a huge target on his own back.  Tasha still kind of annoying to me for no reason, Kass still being amazingly annoying for many many reasons.  Somehow, Keith still spittin' means Keith remains in my good favor.  The best part?  Very little Terry, and he is on the wrong side of the numbers already.  YEAH.  Get off of my TV, Terry.

Overall I was very happy and into it.  Let's hope it lasts!  I hope to see who Monica is, and why she was picked!  And Kimmi too!  And maybe some of these idiots actually play better than they did before!  But not better than Kelley, who must win!

Is it just my imagination, or was everyone fattened up for the long haul?

Seemed like it to me too, and good for them.  They'll be skinny soon enough.

The clue leading to an immunity idol at the challenge?  Okay, that's a cool twist.  I even liked the little visual flash/flourish reminding us of where the idol was when Jeffy was talking about the challenge.

Insta-Tribal Council was also a neat twist. It would destroy this game if they always did that, but tossed in at an unexpected time it was a great move.  Especially if its the FIRST tribal. Why?  Because people had no time to plan and so were more likely to vote their true feelings, it destroys the pretense. It forces the early divisions out publicly right away and accelerates the drama over who finds out they have enemies.  

Looked like the tree was dead to me.  I agree with everything else you say!

• Love 9

I was disappointed that the tribes were preselected.  I wanted a schoolyard pick so that I could obsess over who picked who and why.  I think that was a missed opportunity.  Oh well.

Glad Vytas was ousted first.  He gives me the creeps.  He needs to stop obsessing about besting his brother because he lost that game when Aras was born.

Shirin needs to stop speaking so fast.  After an entire summer of Vanessa on BB I have already lost patience with that shit.

I am surprised to see Stephen overplaying so badly.

I am less surprised to see Joe painting a target on his own back again.  Good job, buddy.  But, on the other hand, it is not like he can suddenly pretend to be less Joe-ish when his first season just ended.  I am not sure what my play would have been if I was him.

I love Jeff so far.  I'm sad I missed his original season.

I am rooting for Kelley.  I always thought that she got screwed over because of her dad.  Towards the end of the immunity challenge I cared less about who was winning than I did about whether or not she would manage to get the idol without drawing attention.  She played it perfectly.

I am already annoyed by Jeremy, Kass, Woo and Abi.

I am reserving judgment on new-Spencer until the game starts to stress him out more.  I do think that he has the best plan to improve his game based on what he learned the first time around.  Jeremy has completely changed his plan too, but I think that he thinks the reason he lost is that he was the biggest threat so that is all he is focused on now.  That is partly true, but IIRC I also think that he just lost touch with the pulse of the game and who was talking to who at a crucial point.  And he was controlling.  Not surprised he would go with the explanation that allows him to feel the best about himself.  I hope it bites him in the ass this time around.

I hope the "new school" vs "old school" thing doesn't get beat into the ground the way the collars thing was last season.  Not holding my breath.

I wonder how the idols are going to work from this point forward.  Will there be a new clue for the other tribe for the next immunity challenge?  Will they just hide an idol on their beach as usual?  Will there only be one idol?  I was surprised by the twist, but I liked that they changed it up.

• Love 10

Good opening episode.  I'm glad to have Survivor back.

My only complaint is that it could have been a regular one-hour episode without losing anything substantial.  Braceletgate could have been lifted right out, for example. After the marooning, it was an hour before we saw Probst again. 

Or perhaps I'm just annoyed that much of that extra half-hour was spent listening to the bitter crap-fountain that is Abi.

Anyway, it was good to see everyone again. Mostly. Ready for next week!

• Love 6

Abi sealed her fate with me when she was mean to Lisa on her original season.  Do not fuck with Blair Warner or I will punch your heart out and burn it.  Anyhoo, what I hate most about Abi is that she's one of those assholes who tries to excuse it by saying, "Oh, I'm a fiery personality.  I'm just being real.  I'm just honest."  No, you're just an asshole.  I was as weirded out as the next person by Vytas thrusting his junk in everyone's face in the shelter, but I definitely didn't think he needed to go home first over the heiress to the the great Brazilian cheap bracelet empire.

I was really happy they didn't send S1 Kelly home, though.  I hope she gets some redemption this season because if I had come that close to winning a million dollars for my family, I know it would probably haunt me for the next fifteen years, too.

Still love Tasha, Spencer and Keith, still hate Shirin and Kass.

• Love 21

Joe just looks like a bIg chinned guy in a lady's hairdo to me, so after about the third time the show was telling me how he was the dreamiest dreamboat of every girl's dreamy dreams, I was getting nauseated.  Andrew seems pretty smitten, though.

Poor Vytas is just a social moron and always will be.  He can't even see that doing yoga in a class situation on the beach is not the same as doing yoga in a crowded camp setting with your junk in women's faces. Plus never ask any woman, "How's your body this morning?"  Particularly Abi who was born angry.  Really Abi, I know you can't help being stupid, but why bring your favorite bracelet to Survivor and then lose track of it and then make a federal case over it.  Think of how many cheap bracelets you could by with a million dollars if you don't annoy everyone to death on the first day?

Shirrin, Peih-Gee, Kass and Abi, all together in the heat and humidity.  Should be fun.

• Love 20

I'm super excited for this season! There are actually a lot of people out there who I like. I think people are here to PLAY and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I started watching Survivor season 1, but missed a lot of the middle seasons. So I'm very excited to see Kelly W and Jeff V back. Although, Jeff was making me feel super hot with his purple, collared shirt on. I was glad to see he ripped the sleeves off of that thing. 

I didn't dislike Vytas, but I was fine to see him go. I think the competition he has going with his brother is a bit uncomfortable to watch. But more than anything, I'm excited to see Shirin out there making moves! I was one who actually really liked her last season and I hope she can make some better relationships this season. 

Abi-Maria, good God. I'm with the rest of you who think a meltdown is totally inevitable. I guarantee that's why people voted for her. 

• Love 11

Yeah, I'm calling setup BS for PG getting Abi's bracelet. Taking someone's stuff is a big no-no (hence why someone can't rummage through a bag and get an HII; it's now "their stuff"). Early button pushing to get AB started. Her  "glamour" confessional made me laugh.

Interesting how "New School" went into alliances immediately. Hatch would have been proud.

I do want to see some of the "Old School" make it at least Jury.

• Love 3

When Kelly W. jumped in the water to swim, I thought "Oh no!!! Don't!!! It didn't work the first time!!!" and sure enough, she couldn't continue. You'd think she'd not want to remind people of the time the river rafting guide jumped in the water to lead them all to victory.... and didn't.

• Love 4

I noticed that Jeff gives Kelly his highest honor.  He calls her by her last name.  I never thought I'd see him do that for a woman ever.

Maybe he thinks "Wiglesworth" is fun to say.  Wiglesworth, wiglesworth...  She seems to be having a tough time emotionally already.  I'm not sure it was a good idea for her to try it again.

I wonder how the idols are going to work from this point forward.  Will there be a new clue for the other tribe for the next immunity challenge?  Will they just hide an idol on their beach as usual?  Will there only be one idol?  I was surprised by the twist, but I liked that they changed it up.

I suppose there was an idol hidden in the same place of the other raft platform too, so hopefully the next challenge will have a similar set up for the other team.  I like the idea that whoever finds the clue has to be sneaky about picking up the idol.  Remember the season when the idol was the medallion on the rice basket?  Kind of a similar concept... hidden in more or less plain sight and oh so taunting.  Kelley did a good job waiting till everyone on both teams was distracted.

I don't really remember Varner but I enjoy his frankness.  I do remember Kimmi as being annoying, but she seems to have grown up.  Monica is new to me and still invisible.  It occured to me that I was confusing PG with Shii An.  I'm probably one of the few people who liked Terry back in the day, but only because he was so great at challenges and kept saving himself from being eliminated when everyone was gunning for him, but being 10 or so years older he probably won't be able to compete with the younger players.  Same with Savage.  Jeremy is ok but I liked his wife more.  Tasha is one of my favorites so I hope she stays around a long time.  Spencer too although I don't care for his politics.  The less Kass, the better.  Stephen trying to break the sticks was hilarious and embarrassing.  At least he's self aware.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

I actually think it's kind of sad that some of these people can't get over their first try at survivor.  Kelly thinks about it every day? For 15years?  Too bad they can't take the experience for what it was and let go of the disappointment of not doing well.

I didn't think Kelly was telling the truth there.  I heard a hesitation before she spoke and felt like she was quickly trying to think about what would be the most strategic answer.  I'm not sure she chose well, but I think it was an on the fly attempt to say the best thing for her immediate circumstance.

They keep talking about old school/new school... but it seems to me that everyone after Kelly Wigglesworth ought to be new school unless they're dumb.  Hatch showed everyone how alliances control the game. Kelly is the only one who ever went in truly blind.  (Or did Australia not see the first season before they started? In any case, I know there are Survivors who went on without ever watching the show, but that's a special kind of stupid.)

In general:

I like Shirin.  Always did.  She's awkward and a little desperate, but I just enjoy her.  I'd probably like her in real life.

Peih-Gee.  I vaguely remember liking her, too.  

I think Spencer came off well, and I'm willing to give him a chance.  

Is there a reason I might not like Jeff Varner?  Because I have this feeling of "never liked him", but so many of you seem to have positive memories.  

Woo--- still pretty.  Joe---still pretty.  

Abi can still just crawl away yesterday.

Overall, I think the vote went pretty well for everyone.  Vytas voters being the majority, they don't have to defend their vote.  The Abi voters really only have Abi's wrath ahead of them... even those who voted with her have to be completely understanding of anyone wanting to get rid of Abi, right?

• Love 13

That's because there are two Kell(e)y W's on the same team.

That's a fair point I wasn't thinking of, but I really do think it's a respect thing too.

Possibly. Although in previous years where they had multiple Kell(e)ys, he would call one person 'Purple' Kelly or something. I really think she's earned some kind of Probst 'stripes', somehow... the same way as Savage and now apparently Dietz as well.

• Love 1

Overall, a good start to the season. I don't mind that there are people I don't like (hello abi and Cass), but there has to be someone to root for the boot every week. There are actually a lot of people I like in this season. 

Glad to see Joe, my eye-candy in the game. 

Had no problem with Vytas, but he kind of did have a swarmy thing going on. Reign it in Bro. This is a social game, and he's so clueless. And no, people did not see you as a big threat--just an annoyance like a fly buzzing around the picnic food. 

I liked Terry in his season, and I like him now. 

Keith can stop spitting.

I hope the two Kelly's go far.

• Love 4

Weird, it says "1 of 2", but when I try to click to go to page 2, I get a "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" error page.

I'm glad Abi-Maria can be an example for us all of how to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I really hope though that production didn't engineer this bracelet thing to stir things up, figuring that the target of Abi-Maria's ire is someone boring and expendable.

Shirin's calligraphy is beautiful!

On the "old school/new school" thing: what's the dividing line on that?  There have been two seasons of Survivor per year every year for the past 15, so there must be some players who are in a grey area in between.

Started off really strong, but thought the episode dragged.

So it wasn't just me.  That opening competition was exciting. I was happy that my two favorites Shirin and Kelly Wigglesworth were on the same tribe and won it.  But then later I was surprised to find my eyes glazing over.

Wow on a HII being part of the challenge and possibly having to grab it in front of other people. Kelley was able to grab it without anyone paying attention to her or Probst pointing it out.

It would have been very dirty pool IMO for Jeff to say anything.  They had me faked out that Kelley had decided she simply missed her chance, and I kept thinking "just go for it--everyone is focused on the challenge" which of course is how it worked out.  She was probably smart though to wait until the actual reaching for the key was happening, as that was the point when it was the least likely for anyone to notice.  Great camerawork and editing to show her repeatedly looking back at the raft and sort of biting her lip.

• Love 2

No offense, but apparently it isn't.  There's basically no evidence at all that the 'quiz show' rules have anything to do with reality tv, and some reason to suspect that nobody wants to put this to the test.  Some reality shows make little pretense about the fact that producers ultimately determine the winner (Project Runway comes to mind), and the inclusion of S&P on this show is apparently limited to the portions of it that purport to be actual contests, such as the reward and immunity challenges. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-burnett-julie-chen-nigel-803049

In that, Bertram Van Munster says it's a criminal offense.  I'm not talking about quiz show rules.  People are always going to believe what they believe on this topic, though.  I don't think Project Runway or any of these shows manipulate the results directly.  They manipulate the viewers and the contestants, sure.  But directly favoring or tampering, why?  It's not like they get cancelled if someone unlikable wins.  They just edit it into the story they prefer.  

The tree looked dead to me.  It had no top part, no fronds.  That's what happens.  Then the trunk dries out and crumples over on itself.  

I wonder how many clues to the challenge idol were hidden out there.  They needed someone to find it.  There might have been one in every tree.  

I too liked the insta-tribal and figured that was why Vytas went, despite his strength.  No time to prep your vote so go for one of the two annoyances, figuring you're not going to be odd man out and put a target on yourself.  

Listening the Rob Has a Podcast. Josh Wiggler was there for the first challenge. He said that an idol is placed only if someone from the tribe finds a clue. So the TaKoe idol was in play but the Bayon idol was not. Someone has to find a clue or there will not be an idol to find.

I thought Kelly played that perfectly. She was waiting for a moment when her tribe wasn't looking at her. Vytas was looking right past her the entire time watching the Bayon tribe so she couldn't grab it. As soon as the Bayon tribe went through the door, Vytass' attention went to their tribes gate and he was no longer looking at Kelly. She took that moment to grab the idol. Her play kept the idol to herself and in no way shape or form hurt her tribe. Good play on her part. Josh Wigglers description of what Production was doing during that challenge is fun.

Vytas vs Joe Yoga. Joe Yoga, the participants seemed to be enjoying themselves and were there willingly. Vytas yoga, the participants didn't seem interested and he seemed to be showing off more then go with the flow. I think that has a lot to do with their personalities. Joe is more laid back and fun loving. Vytas is manipulative and swarmy. He came off that way in his first season and pretty much every podcast I have heard Vytas on. He just doesn't sound sincere.

Abi today is exactly why I did not cast one vote for her. Not a one. She is emotional and irrational and freaking annoying. She does not understand the concept of a filter and is just flat out bitchy on the show.

I am sure that Vytas and Abi are somewhat different in their real lives but I would not want to spend time with them based on what we have seen on the show.

I am not impressed with Phei Gee. I want Kass gone like there is no tomorrow.

I don't have a problem with the male alliance on Bayon. They are alligned together simply to protect each other and not some stupid "we have to vote out the weak women folk" BS that we have seen in the past. I think that they are all open to the idea of working with other people but that they are looking for a shield or two to hide behind.

• Love 16
BraceletGate was utterly ridiculous. I'm going to think that it was either a mistake or someone else but it there.

That occurred to me, that someone did it just to stir up drama with Abi. I can't imagine someone wanting to steal a worthless leather bracelet. But if another contestant did that, for sure they would have shown it. I'm calling Producer Manipulation.

• Love 1
Taking someone's stuff is a big no-no (hence why someone can't rummage through a bag and get an HII; it's now "their stuff").

Which is why I was surprised no one asked Abi why she was rummaging through people's bags.  I imagine those bags are heavy and floppy, so PG not noticing the extra weight of a bracelet or not seeing a brown thing in the bottom seems perfectly plausible to me.  She picked up an empty feeling bag, put her stuff in it and her name on it and that was that.

• Love 6
Well, Abi-Maria was just as nasty as ever. What a liar, she has ZERO interest in growth. I'm pissed I have to continue listening to her bullshit.

THIS. Jeezus Christ on a Cracker. WHY is she here? And why did these idiots keep her around? I'd prefer to keep a smarmy yoga guy in his underwear over the crazy unstable, any day.

The problem with letting the fans pick is there are so many that you'd love to see win. I guess this explains the inclusion of Abi and Kass. You need conflict and those two are walking bags of cray-cray, just waiting to go off. Varner's cut a ways are awesome. He's 100% right that there is a generation gap in the Survivor seasons. The older seasons didn't start gamesmanship so soon, where the current seasons start plotting as soon as they get off the damned plane (I'm looking at you, Shirin).

I'm not sure who I wants to win. I keep changing my mind. Joe! Keith! Jeff Varner! Tasha! WOO!

Well, I kind of give her a pass. I'm guessing it's different to be the iconic first loser, especially with the rats and snakes bit. I could see how that could be an albatross to some people.

And WHO she lost to. Not only an unpleasant person, but a guy that ended up in jail. I can imagine her watching Richard Hatch's antics through the years and thinking, "I lost to THAT?"

• Love 7

Welcome back Survivor.  I was telling my kids all day that tonight was my Christmas.  Survivor and Big Brother.   Usually I don't like returning players but for some reason I'm looking forward to this season. 

I don't like mixing returning players with newbies.  All returning players, though, is okay because everyone is on an even footing then.

I can never tire of dim bulb Woo's stunned expressions when he gets surprised at tribal.

Woo made a comment at Tribal about not knowing what was going on and I figured he'll be able to make the comment every single week.

Vytas vs Joe Yoga. Joe Yoga, the participants seemed to be enjoying themselves and were there willingly. Vytas yoga, the participants didn't seem interested and he seemed to be showing off more then go with the flow. I think that has a lot to do with their personalities. Joe is more laid back and fun loving. Vytas is manipulative and swarmy. He came off that way in his first season and pretty much every podcast I have heard Vytas on. He just doesn't sound sincere.

Vytas did somewhat forced, one-on-one yoga where he put his hands on the other person. And the other person is always female.  And his shorts revealed his excitement.  Joe was leading anyone who wanted to participate in group yoga.  Big difference.

• Love 10