Type keyword(s) to search

Craft Corner: If You're Crafty And You Know It - Make It!

BabyVegas
  • Start Topic

Thanks! I had a whole bunch of almost-done-but-not-quite xstitch pieces that I concentrated on finishing several years ago, so all I have now are the kits for small projects that can be done in days, one Xmas piece I really want to do that will take probably a month that I am holding off on doing until I need a short break from this megaproject, probably next spring, and then several more megaprojects that I bought from Scarlet Quince. None of those are as big as this one, but they are all probably 12- to 18-month projects. 

I love the big projects just for the huge set of accomplishment when it’s done. My first was a 186,000-stitch antique world map I made for my sister and BIL, which took about 20 months to finish. That one was very demanding, since messing up the longitude/latitude lines would have been immediately obvious. It had a lot of variations on white/ecru that drove me up the wall!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2
On 11/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I love the big projects just for the huge set of accomplishment when it’s done. My first was a 186,000-stitch antique world map I made for my sister and BIL, which took about 20 months to finish. That one was very demanding, since messing up the longitude/latitude lines would have been immediately obvious. It had a lot of variations on white/ecru that drove me up the wall!

I love huge cross stitch projects, too, but have for some reason never actually done one. I've started one but have been so busy lately that I haven't worked on it much.

Crocheting, for some reason, relaxed me and I've managed to make a few things that I've never tried before. I made my first crochet hat last week and just tonight made my first crochet hair scrunchies.

I just finished off a row of my cross stitching pattern book pages over the weekend (a full row on this project is averaging 5-6 months to finish). Here is where I am at now, with only one and then a half-as-high row after that to finish (so, I should be done by the end of the year, I hope!). 

image.jpeg.178eaa1c19e7d99dbd5985ec45958afa.jpeg

• Love 19

I've been thinking of starting this crochet Tic Tac Toe board. I'm a beginner so it will probably take me a while to finish. I don't want to buy stuffing so I'll probably use torn clothes that I still haven't thrown out.

• Love 5

Question for the crafty.

Is there a way to fill a small glazed ceramic tray with a clear resin/epoxy, etc.?  Its also got a small ceramic sculpture in the center of it.  Goal is to protect the sculpture in it, still be able to see it, but be able to use it as a tray. 

I'm seeing too much stuff about respirators, propane torches, and I'm not entirely sure it will stick to glazed ceramic or be clear when the deed is done..

I'm on this up cycle kick.  If the definition of upcycle was buy something new, do craft stuff to it, and spend 5 times what would cost if you just bought a soap dish at the store.

This thread looks semi-dead, so I will post this in Chit Chat as well, but here we go:

Does anyone know what is the safest sealer/topcoat to use on a pet food tray? The back story: The plastic tray that our cats' food bowls are kept on is not aesthetically pleasing. Not that it needs to be, of course, but, all things being otherwise equal, I prefer aesthetically pleasing to not aesthetically pleasing--especially if it's something that's always visible and even if its' just a basic, utilitarian thing. I have been on the hunt for a vintage midcentury kitschy rectangular serving tray ('50s atomic or tiki or crazy-ass '60s or '70s patterns), but no real luck. So, I decided I'd decoupage the plain one (or make one from a baking sheet). I figured Mod Podge would work, and there is even a dishwasher safe one, but now I am second-guessing myself.

The cats don't eat food right off the tray, generally, but, you know...cats -- I can't guarantee that they won't ever eat something right off the tray.

Edited by TattleTeeny
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does anyone know what is the safest sealer/topcoat to use on a pet food tray? .... I figured Mod Podge would work, and there is even a dishwasher safe one, but now I am second-guessing myself.

So the pet food is not going to be served on the tray you are decoupaging? Sounds fine to me, if you are using the dishwasher safe Mod Podge.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thank you -- but I just had another idea! I think I'll get a clear acrylic tray and do the decoupage underneath instead. Whoo-hoo, problem solved! I think; maybe I shouldn't say that so fast...

That’s a great idea.

• Love 1

Thank you, but I cannot take full credit. While reading the FAQs for the dishwasher-safe Mod Podge, I saw that it recommended decorating the underside of clear plates as opposed to the surface. The tricky part for me was finding an acrylic tray that had a very short border; most of them were serving trays with handles so they were about 2 inches in height. I’m going to use this fabric underneath!

94E1CFE5-6A67-4962-B30D-5C1C964CC9C7.jpeg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Fellow crafty DIYers, I am about to attempt to reline a vintage 1960s coat, ugh. This is not something I know how to do, even though I’m an OK sew-er and have made some simple dresses, among various other things. But I decided to do something lazy — and probably crazy — before trying this completely from scratch. I bought an inexpensive satin robe that I turned inside out and put inside the coat. This Frankensteined thing is now on the mannequin lady ready for me to figure out where to begin! If it works, I have two more coats to do!

ETA: This is tricky. But tricky in a way that I don’t think would be any less so than making the lining myself—the trickiness seems to be figuring out the best way to begin attaching it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Fellow crafty DIYers, I am about to attempt to reline a vintage 1960s coat, ugh. This is not something I know how to do, even though I’m an OK sew-er and have made some simple dresses, among various other things. But I decided to do something lazy — and probably crazy — before trying this completely from scratch. I bought an inexpensive satin robe that I turned inside out and put inside the coat. This Frankensteined thing is now on the mannequin lady ready for me to figure out where to begin! If it works, I have two more coats to do!

ETA: This is tricky. But tricky in a way that I don’t think would be any less so than making the lining myself—the trickiness seems to be figuring out the best way to begin attaching it.

My method would probably be to hand stitch it to the facings of the coat.  Brilliant idea to use a satin robe - I would never have thought of it!

On 3/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, TattleTeeny said:

The plan—it is working! So far, so good. And I got me a clear acrylic cafeteria-style tray for $8!

I love how your tray came out! And the fabric print is adorable.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be happy to know where you got that great tray--for just 8 bucks.

• Love 1

I believe it was a website with a name like restaurant dot com — something super-bland and simple. Let me check again!

Correction: webstaurantstore dot com. I am not seeing the one I bought though.

Edited by TattleTeeny

You're so nice, thank you! (Haha, underneath it does -- it's neat and all, but you can tell that it is not factory made.) That fabric came from Spoonflower--it has nice stuff, but it's a bit pricy. Luckily I needed just a little for the tray. The other fabric option I got had too big of a pattern for a tray; too much of it would have been cut off, so I re-covered one of their beds with it instead.

818F1725-DFD1-4713-8E67-D28EA90B4D83.jpeg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Yeah, I know about Spoonflower, too. They'll print a custom fabric from your design, no? I see that it's pricey, but if you want what you want and can't get it any other way, it's nice to know it's doable.

You've got some lucky cats!

• Love 1

Here’s what it looks like. I’m not done with the inside yet, but I can still show you this old thing! I found it at a vintage store for maybe $35. I like that it’s clearly vintage but also really versatile (also, there’s a Rob Zombie pin on it, haha!).

DACA88A7-BA70-4B86-828A-935B9C0DEDF7.jpeg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

If you're in the Pet Peeves thread, you know I've been battling a tree skirt kit since July. The aida cloth was so big I had to cut it in half and then 3rds to get it on a scroll frame. I finished the final Santa this morning and now I just have to figure out how to make it a tree skirt again. I'm not very crafty so I'm hoping someone here could suggest a solution. I thought about trying to put them on another peiece of cloth with cut outs, so each Santa would be framed in an oval or something...that's all I got.

Each Santa is about 15"x15".

20211016_113228.jpg

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6

Any craft ideas for those of us who have a hard time sitting still for hours? I love the idea of being creative and making things, but I don't think I'm dedicated enough to so much of the stuff I admire. When I was a little girl, I did like making jewelry. 

• Love 1

Wood working? You'd be on your feet a lot with the sawing and whatnot. It does take an investment in some power tools but building stuff is so satisfying. If I had room, that would probably be my next obsession. I could build a few structures for the garden, like a potting table and maybe a trellis.

It's not crafty, but gardening will keep you moving especially if you start pruning trees and need to both cut branches down and then break them up. But even just with planting and deadheading and weeding, there's always something to do. Not so much over winter but from about March to late November depending on where you live.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/17/2021 at 2:02 AM, RealHousewife said:

Any craft ideas for those of us who have a hard time sitting still for hours? I love the idea of being creative and making things, but I don't think I'm dedicated enough to so much of the stuff I admire. When I was a little girl, I did like making jewelry. 

This might not be appropriate if you live in the city, but I want to give painting "barn quilt" squares a try. They're big, so you have to move around them. And you can decide what size and level of pattern complexity you want to use.

• Useful 1
On 10/17/2021 at 3:02 AM, RealHousewife said:

Beaded jewelry/making jewelry with beads and beading thread. some things only take a couple of hours, unlike all my huge stash of almost finished needlepoint canvases.

• Useful 1

Candle making, soap making, anything that involves being able to walk away and do other things while the object dries or hardens? You need to be in the room while melting any wax, but you (once you are sure of your equipment - flashpoint fire in wax is BAD) don't have to be sitting next to it and staring at it.

Alternatively, perhaps baking? Same basic idea, get something all set up fairly quickly and then leave it to finish.

• Love 3

Thanks so much everyone! I hadn't even thought of making candles and soaps. I love anything that smells good, and I probably should really look into making jewelry. I love jewelry and know I'd get use out of the things I make. 

I think baking is so fun, but sadly I don't have many people to bake for. The people I see right now are either really into fitness, not into sweets, or into sweets but have diabetes or other health issues. I used to bake now and then for office parties and such, but that all stopped with covid. I might bake for something I have going this weekend though. 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:02 AM, RealHousewife said:

I’m not of much use. I do knitting and crocheting, but that’s something I can do while watching all the TV I watch. 

• Useful 1

I made a quilt of old T-shirts and there was a lot of standing up and rotary cutting and running around arranging the pieces (on the floor, in my case — I went a bit big with this project!). Eventually, of course, you end up sitting a lot to do the sewing, but even at that stage, there’s a bunch of hopping up and down .

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, RealHousewife said:

I probably should really look into making jewelry. I love jewelry and know I'd get use out of the things I make. 

A bazillion years ago I took a weekend workshop in making resin jewelry at the crafty YMCA in Manhattan (I can't remember which Y it was, but it's famous for the great classes given there). The workshop itself was great fun, and I kept doing the jewelry afterward, even coming up with my own methods for doing things. The techniques and materials have improved a lot since then, so it's easier and not smelly now. And you can make really gorgeous things. Plus, there's a fair amount of moving around, what with casting stuff, making molds, Dremeling, assembling, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@TriniI think it is perfect the way it is. 

Aw, Thank you! My idea was that the word 'dream' would be surrounded by stitching so that it have a reverse effect, but the outline stitching ended up thick enough that it's readable without it. (it had to be to cover the pattern transfer lines) But I still want to add some other decoration.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:54 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I’m not of much use. I do knitting and crocheting, but that’s something I can do while watching all the TV I watch. 

If you can wear something you made in public, that’s enough.  The look of “home made” is now back, and knowing you made it is priceless.  Lots wouldn’t even attempt.

7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

No one posts here often. I guess it’s not a photo friendly medium. I usually use Instagram and Reddit for crafts discussion and viewing. 

My quilting and craft groups are all on Facebook but I look at many of the quilting / embroidery / crafts on Reddit too.

(edited)

I picked up crochet as a pandemic hobby and am amaguri making machine. From the kits I purchased I made a penguin (first), dinosaur, a lion, a sushi chef cat, and this narwhale (photo below). I'm working on a unicorn now. Outside of the kits I made a Thanksgiving turkey, some holiday lights, a hot chocolate mug, mini hockey jersey holiday tree ornaments, the USS Enterprise, and a few other things.

I'm going to start experimenting with the big fluffy yarn and this winter I'm going to attempt a throw blanket.

image.png.bed754f2c6b64eb41969ef41bf183833.png

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 6

I used to crochet. Another thing I abandoned, when my life imploded.

I started out knitting, but it would irritate me after a while. I loved it when I managed to actually finish something, but when I was stressed, it never relaxed me, and my tension could be too tight or too loose. I see people talking about how much knitting makes them feel better, and I can't relate. But crocheting squares for an afghan, that worked for me for a while. 

• Sad 1

My local library just started a stitching group; so maybe I'll finally finish that embroidery project I've been putting off for months! (I'm stitching a design onto a sweater.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Trini said:

My local library just started a stitching group; so maybe I'll finally finish that embroidery project I've been putting off for months! (I'm stitching a design onto a sweater.)

I'm slowly finishing an embroidery project.  It's a wedding gift with different items shown that are important to the couple, including their two dogs.  I'm taking it very slow, as I've been learning a lot as a go, and I had to draft my own pattern. 

• Like 3

So glad I discovered this forum.   I quilt.  As many of  you know, I do family law in the day job.   Quilting is how I relax.   The sewing can be almost zen.  Plus when you are done you have a pretty project that STAYS done.   Unlike a custody case where you may be back EVERY SINGLE YEAR arguing about something.

Here's one project I finished several years ago but it remains my favorite.

Beach quilt.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 9