Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: XX (2)

WendyCR72

Usually, I wouldn't put up the new episode thread quite so soon, but as it connects to the first episode and the summary is out, well...why not?

In part 2 of the premiere, Beckett's side of her abrupt disappearance is revealed. After receiving a mysterious tip from her past, Beckett is launched into a fight for her life, with a team of mercenaries hot on her trail. While Castle investigates why his wife is on the run, Beckett must figure out who wants her dead, before they can finish the job.

So that was way worse than I imagined.

I don't get how this is Beckett choosing Castle (or his safety) or their relationship. She had a choice to let it go and live her life, she hasn't. The sad thing is Bracken was right.

This season is going to suck.

Edited by Chado
  • Love 6

Half way through the episode now.  Are they kidding?  "Beckett, you must now go on the run for the rest of your life, unless I can catch them"  Love, your stepmother in law.  Huh?

Also, why is Alexis better than all of the other cops on the NYPD?  Why does no one besides Castle family and Ryan and Espo notice that "Captain Beckett' is even missing?

• Love 2

Maybe it's the shock of seeing it actually play out onscreen despite having been spoiled for weeks if not months now, but I'm kind of broken up over this episode. That conversation with Rita in the end... it seemed to change courses in the middle, tried to veer in that direction, but it wasn't enough to make me feel like Beckett was putting Castle and their relationship first with her choice. She needs to find justice for her friends, to keep digging into the case, and is prepared to walk away from the life she's worked so hard to create while she figures it out. It feels like such a huge step backward for the character, and no matter how much they say that it's a part of her, that it can't just magically go away, I'm disappointed in how they framed her choice in this episode. 

Edited by metaphor
  • Love 3

Maybe it's the shock of seeing it actually play out onscreen despite having been spoiled for weeks if not months now, but I'm kind of broken up over that episode. That conversation with Rita in the end... it seemed to change courses in the middle, tried to veer in that direction, but it wasn't enough to make me feel like Beckett was putting Castle and their relationship first with her choice. She needs to find justice for her friends, to keep digging into the case, and is prepared to walk away from the life she's worked so hard to create while she figures it out. It feels like such a huge step backward for the character, and no matter how much they say that it's a part of her, that it can't just magically go away, I'm disappointed in how it played out. 

The conversation with Rita near the end is the reason why I think Beckett looks so bad in this situation. She has a clear choice to either go on living her life or get sucked into another massive case, her obsession makes her choose the case (once again) over Castle. This is going back to familiar ground, I really thought Beckett had evolved as a character from the days of season 4.

• Love 7

I haven't been spoiled at all.  What the heck did I just watch?  Can Fillion and Katic really not work together?  Are they only wanting to work 3 days a week?  I don't get it.  Beckett moves out?  To what, bring back the UST?  This might be the worst decision ever made by a writing team.

• Love 8

Well IT's My Life ALL OVER again, what a Bull Shit Ending and LAZY Plot lines.  Rinse, Recycle, Reuse, Choosing a case over You, just You, I almost died and all I cold think about is you,   The writers need a session with Dr Burke, and I think this is the beginning of the end or will wind up like Booth and Bones story lines,  NOT HAPPY

I'm going to keep watching, but ... sigh ... I want my old Castle back. I'm going to be one of those fans that's annoyed because I do not like where I feel like this is headed and I think that's going to bite TPTB. That said, I do feel like Hawley and TPW have tightened up the writing. I laughed out loud at a few lines, and it's been a long time since it was because I thought they were witty and not slapstick. That's a nice change. And though I really, really, really hate the end ... it was well done. At least, it would have been well done if I wasn't so damn invested in these fictional character's relationship.

Okay, here we go.

Not Jocko Sims! (Okay, so I don't remember his character's name. Hendricks, that's it! Thanks Vikrum.)

It's ironic that Castle's step-mother is planting these seeds of relationships being classified because it could endanger the loved one. Something tells me Castle is going to have step-mommy issues if he finds that out.

I also kind of hate how they took all the joy out of Castle's cupcake/bracelet scene. Though I guess that was a nice way to parallel Beckett's versus Castle's POVs.

No, no Vikrum. As a diabetic you should know insulin is the last thing you need is insulin for low blood sugar. Sigh. But despite not being able to take care of his medical condition, I kind of like him. Maybe better than Hailey.

At this point, I feel sorry for Beckett for her situation. (Not to be confused with her actions.) She thought putting Bracken away was it. (And honestly, it should have been.) Now because of that, she's got 5 (more) bodies on her for all work. She can't win. And if I were her, I'd be so, so, so tired of it all. How much can one person take until it's too much? If they were going to bring Bracken back, I wish it would have been as part of his trial, or sentencing, or something. Not as an "oh wait, there's more!" play. Bracken's mystery partner? Come on. Did I call Bracken getting killed in prison? If not I feel like I should've. That was pretty obvious when he was so scared about the lok-sat team.

"If you survive we really must get our families together."? ... Castle's got half-siblings? I'm not really thrilled about that. Also, how do people like Jackson Hunt and Rita have a family?

Beckett's reaction to Castle shooting someone was my reaction, too. Although I guess he's already done that once, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised?

What can I say about that ending? Screw that. Jesus christ, Beckett, choose your happiness over vengeance and justice. I honestly hope someone rethinks whatever they just did, I don't even care about the "it's all about the love story" line they've been feeding all summer.

I don't understand how they go from that to "it's okay, Castle will win her back" in the coming episodes. (Also, where is Beckett going? Not into hiding, clearly.) Fingers crossed they definitely kill this story line at sweeps. I honestly think this is the most disappointed I've been in this show, even though I knew it was coming.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I am disturbed because when Alison White tried to instill distrust of Vikram why didn't anyone go back to that?  WTH?  Should have had Alexis hear that, SHE would have picked up on it...[sarcasm, just to clarify]

That was all just troubling.

• Love 3

So Castle shooting the guy with the hidden gun was fun.

Beyond that for someone completely clueless on spoilers and casting status.  Did Stana Katic actually sign for the whole season? Because the last couple episodes feel like they are transitioning her out.  I was actually surprised she was in the preview. 

• Love 4

What can I say about that ending? Screw that. Jesus christ, Beckett, choose your happiness over vengeance and justice. I honestly hope someone rethinks whatever they just did, I don't even care about the "it's all about the love story" line they've been feeding all summer.

I don't understand how they go from that to "it's okay, Castle will win her back" in the coming episodes. (Also, where is Beckett going? Not into hiding, clearly.) Fingers crossed they definitely kill this story line at sweeps. I honestly think this is the most disappointed I've been in this show, even though I knew it was coming.

This x1000

I don't understand why Castle would be trying to win her back? I don't understand the circumstances where he should even have to try. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Love 3

and is prepared to walk away from the life she's worked so hard to create while she figures it out.

Ironically, that's exactly why she chose to stay and fight in the beginning ... because she'd be damned if she was going to let someone scare her away from the life she fought so hard for.

And yet ... that's exactly what she did because girlfriend can not let it go.

• Love 1

Well that stinks!  Are they trying to make the viewers hate Beckett?  

That certainly seems to be the case.  Talk about character regression.  I can't believe I'm as invested in their relationship as I am though, that scene was awful to watch.

Other than that I didn't think it was as good as last week, but the writing is a step up from last season.  

Edited by KaveDweller

So we're supposed to watch next week and laugh at the "light, funness" of it all after Castle's wife walks out on him......ugh this show.  I have never felt like the choices made this season were solely about storytelling and this episode has all but confirmed that for me.  Either these writers are really really arrogant and a bit dumb or they are working within fairly limiting parameters..... If they were seeking to make the audience care less about Beckett so writing her out will be easier I guess they succeeded tonight.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 3

I guess the one bright spot is that I'd agree that "break up" was a misleading, clickbait term. It's not like she served him divorce papers. I mean, I have faith that it'll all be fixed ... sometime in the future ... but I'm not sure it's going to be an enjoyable ride or even that people will stick around to see it happen, and both those facts disappoint me.

Oh, and also that they did make it look like it was the last choice Beckett wanted to make, so there's that.

Except she did make it, which sucks a thousand times over. I was holding out that it was all a fake out and that she'd come back with a "sorry, can't do it".

I'm honestly confused how Castle can decide to fight for her when she's very clearly always swayed by her sense of duty and justice. This choice is definitely not going to endear anyone to either Beckett (she's selfish, not invested in her marriage, etc) or Castle (he's a puppy, chasing after Beckett, etc).

This all sucks.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I am sorry, but this is just so much arrant nonsense T hey made the conspiracy just too big to be manageable by the AG office, and Brave Captain Beckett is supposed to accomplish the downfall? t his is more appropriate to The Princess Bride ( with Beckett as Wesley and Castle as Buttercup?).

Alexis managed to out-MarySue herself with her computer skills.

Oddly enough, I did enjoy Rita and could easily see a sitcom for her and Martha.

• Love 1

Holy Makeup, Alexis! And again with Alexis knows best and is oh-so-smart.

What a convoluted mess...I think I might have understood. So there is a bigger bad than the big bad "The dragon has awoken" Bracken? So bad that even though she is told she is safe, Beckett feels the need to drop her happiness and chase after it, but it turns into all fun and hijinks next week when Castle tries to win her back. I'm sure jealous Beckett isn't far behind since that is always so fun to watch too.

I've tried with Hayley but I don't see anything new that she brings to the show that wasn't already there.

I would have used "forced apart." Married people don't breakup unless they divorce or separate.

They aren't being forced apart though. Beckett is choosing the case over him. She is choosing to alienate herself from Castle so he doesn't get caught in the crossfire because of her own actions.

This is much more of a break up then it is them being "forced apart" in my opinion. Beckett even says "I hope you'll have room in your heart to take me back." That isn't the words of two people who are being forced apart, that is the actions of 1 person ending it, and hoping he'll forgive her later.

Ironically, that's exactly why she chose to stay and fight in the beginning ... because she'd be damned if she was going to let someone scare her away from the life she fought so hard for.

And yet ... that's exactly what she did because girlfriend can not let it go.

Yep. After seeing the ending, I was even like... when you said what you said to Vikram earlier, did you just mean the captaincy? Because by the end it was her professional life she got to keep, while she left her personal life in tatters. 

And all after Alexis said she was family. Very curious to see how Alexis will react to this move. 

I would have used "forced apart." Married people don't breakup unless they divorce or separate.

But they specifically had Beckett choose this.  They weren't forced apart.  A lack of a piece of paper doesn't mean they aren't separated.  And moving out isn't going to be enough.  She'll end up distancing herself at work too.  Its a slippery slope from 'I'm not working on this with Castle' to 'I'm alienating Castle so no one will use him as leverage'.

Beckett is an idiot.  A selfish, short sighted, obsessive idiot.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

What word would you chose?

BTW you can read all about their choices in a TVLine interview that will be posted later tonight.

I'm actually curious and will be waiting for that at 11 PST, just to see what they thought they were doing. It's funny, though, the blind item called it possibly Fall TV's most divisive event, but I feel like there won't be much, if any, taking sides. The blame will be laid on squarely on one person, and as much as I love Beckett, I kind of think it would be justified given how they wrote those last five minutes. 

Edited by metaphor

(Also, where is Beckett going? Not into hiding, clearly.) Fingers crossed they definitely kill this story line at sweeps. I honestly think this is the most disappointed I've been in this show, even though I knew it was coming.

That's what I don't get.  What is she going to be doing to investigate this case?

I think Beckett thinks they are being "forced apart" even though she's not, because she's obsessed with this new conspiracy.  But I wouldn't have used the word break up either, since neither of them are thinking it's permanent.

Non-break up related thoughts:

After hearing what Vikram said on the phone to Beckett, I don't have a problem with her not telling Castle who it really was. It seemed like a legitimate thing that would be classified.  And I buy her not being able to call him while on the run.

It does seem weird that she was so willing to take Vikram's word about everything though.  Same thing with Rita. How does she know either of them aren't on the Bracken/Conspiracy side?  

When did Alexis get all those video-enhancing skills? She didn't bother me last week, but she did this week. That was just ridiculous.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

I'm going to dwell on the one bright side of the upcoming episode: Castle in glasses.

That is all I have left.

I can only hope that after all the anger dies down the show "gets back to its roots" and "tells a love story" ... and that people are still around to watch and care.

I'm actually surprised at how angry I am considering we all knew this was going down.

Anyone else part of the ABC Advisory day-after panel? I'll most definitely be venting there ... even if no one that reads any of that cares.

I'm actually curious and will be waiting for that at 11 PST, just to see what they thought they were doing.

I don't know there's an answer to that. Trying to make people care again? I guess it worked, but I'm not sure anger and alienation is the best way to do it.

Now it'll be damage control, probably. How to they triage the fan outrage without making the fans feel patronized? ("Don't worry, this is a love story" ... blah, blah, blah.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

Okay..that sucked..I still don't think they fixed their lighting issues...a bit confusing..and way too dark for my taste...

I've only been watching the last three seasons or so but man, why in the hell would Castle take her back if Beckett left him?

Also, Alexis as some super smart PI was annoying...

I was saying "Oh..puleeeaze" a LOT at the TV tonight...

..and with the breakup of Castle and Beckett(at least for now anyway), I am done with this show...Castle's love for Beckett was so sweet, it was a joy to watch..and now that is gone...

What were they thinking?

• Love 1

I wonder where Beckett will be sleeping. We'll probably find out in two weeks since they switch the episodes at whim with no regard for continuity.

I'm going to put $100 on her living with Vikram for the added angst element. A nice cosy 2 bedroom apartment.

I didn't like it. I didn't know why Beckett was so sure she could trust Vikram. It was so casual- "no, we trust him."

The only part I liked was the hidden gun.

I'm so tired of this show doing bad guy has a boss who has a boss who has a boss who has a boss who has an even bigger, badder boss who then has an even bigger, badder boss.

I didn't like it. I didn't know why Beckett was so sure she could trust Vikram. It was so casual- "no, we trust him."

The only part I liked was the hidden gun.

I'm so tired of this show doing bad guy has a boss who has a boss who has a boss who has a boss who has an even bigger, badder boss who then has an even bigger, badder boss.

OMG finally a laugh out loud moment in all this madness!  This is priceless!! Thank you!

Anyone else part of the ABC Advisory day-after panel? I'll most definitely be venting there ... even if no one that reads any of that cares.

Yep ... I was sure to tell them precisely what I thought while my hatred was fresh and particularly snarky. 

• Love 2

Yep ... I was sure to tell them precisely what I thought while my hatred was fresh and particularly snarky.

Ooh, it's up already? Bedtime might wait ...

Actually, I can't seem to find it. :(

Edited by McManda

Hmm. I get what they were trying to do -- come up with a reason to break these two up so they could go back to the UST and flirty banter of earlier seasons -- but yeesh did they go about it in a terrible way. Also, while I understand the appeal of those earlier days, it's surely not a sustainable plan --- they can only drag it out for one season at most.