Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot / S01.E02: Hell Week

OK, so call me totally warped and beyond any hope but I thought that pilot and follow-on episodes were hilarious.  It was kind of like where Nip Tuck ended up but in this case it was right from the get go.  The Butterfly McQueen "birthin' babies" lines from Gone With The Wind were, I thought, just there to immediately offend as many people as possible but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.  What I really liked was that as the time flew by, there were some many possible Red Devil suspects.  Every time a character said something or gave an ominous facial expression, along came the next character showing similar suspicious actions. Lea clinically detailing how to dispose of a body was so out of character for her but she pulled it off and it was bizarrely funny.  Jaime Lee Curtis was outstanding. I've read that Ryan Murphy told her that he wouldn't do the show unless she agreed to be in it.  It was a nice homage to her being in the cast of the first Halloween movie and maybe, indirectly to her mother's role in Psycho.  I don't know how far RM can push the boundaries of decency and sheer violence on a prime time network show but it's interesting to find out.

• Love 4

I liked it, mostly. Jamie Lee was my favorite. Everything about the character and actress was perfect. In fact there was a lot I enjoyed about the show. I loved the shoutouts to the '90s and the Scream movies. Ariana Grande's texting as she's going to be murdered was hilarious and horrifying. I loved Niecy Nash as Denise the completely incompetent security guard. "WHY IS THERE A KNIFE IN YOUR NECK?" 

Emma Roberts...she's fine. Whatever. But it seems like someone thinks she has more charm or charisma than she actually does. Like Mischa Barton once upon a time. 

• Love 3

That was hysterical. Exactly what I thought it would be and more. And I loved the ending scene with Boone and Chad cracks me up. When Boone got into bed with (of course Chad will let Boone share the bed, cause he's his little bro - just lay off the weiner) and then showed him the froggy...OMG.

The only thing that irritated me was I kept waiting for Grace or Zayday tell the Chane's to fuck themselves with the hazing. If you pledge you're in.

Driving over a girls head with a riding lawn mower is seriously fucked up, though!

I thought the Deaf girl being decapitated by lawn mower was a possible nod to Sleepaway Camp 3

Ryan Murphy said that there would be clues to the killer in the pilot. Don't know what to think of Chanel having Mrs. Bean say she 'don't know nothin about birthin no babies.' straight off... Anyone else catch that?? I must mean something.

Sadly I think they thought they were just being clever cause she was white  mammy even though  mammy didn't even said that in Gone with the Wind.

Thanks Tom87 and peacheslatour. Didn't realize that was from Gone with the wind. Am I giving this show too much credit? That line is so on the nose, I can't see how it could be just a coincidence. I think Mrs. Bean was one of the four sorority girls from the 1995 flashback.

Also, a healthy young woman, even outside a hospital setting, should not die from giving birth. It was 1995, not 1895. Does that mean that the co-ed in the flash-back is alive? Maybe it means nothing. Part of my issue with this show is that the showrunners want you to try to solve the mystery, but the tone is so absurd,  you can't tell a plot hole (of which there are many) from a clue. Ugh!!  I'm a sucker for a good mystery, I'm just not sure with this show how tied together its going to be. 

Edited by mandigirl
  • Love 2

Oh Ryan Murphey. Your like a sugar high. At first taste, it delicious, filled with fun and energy and yumminess. It might not be healthy, but damn it, it just tastes so good. Then, the high ends. Your coming down hard, and suddenly, the fun is gone, the energy has been instantly burned out, and your just left with a stomach ache and a need to go to the gym. 

And yet...I know I am going to gobble this up. Damn it. 

Oh, and I liked main girl alright, until she dissed Pumpkin Spice Lattes. No one screws with Pumpkin Spice!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

It wasn't funny. It was "amusing" as in a "oh. that's amusing (said in a deapan voice)" kinda way but not burst out laughing funny. The Ariana Grande Texting/Tweeting her death scene comes to mind.

Too long. Too many characters. Too many story lines. Too much gross goriness for prime time. Just...too much.

That's it...it was Just. Too. Much. So much it turned me off.

• Love 8

OK, so call me totally warped and beyond any hope but I thought that pilot and follow-on episodes were hilarious.  It was kind of like where Nip Tuck ended up but in this case it was right from the get go.  The Butterfly McQueen "birthin' babies" lines from Gone With The Wind were, I thought, just there to immediately offend as many people as possible but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.  What I really liked was that as the time flew by, there were some many possible Red Devil suspects.  Every time a character said something or gave an ominous facial expression, along came the next character showing similar suspicious actions. Lea clinically detailing how to dispose of a body was so out of character for her but she pulled it off and it was bizarrely funny.  Jaime Lee Curtis was outstanding. I've read that Ryan Murphy told her that he wouldn't do the show unless she agreed to be in it.  It was a nice homage to her being in the cast of the first Halloween movie and maybe, indirectly to her mother's role in Psycho.  I don't know how far RM can push the boundaries of decency and sheer violence on a prime time network show but it's interesting to find out.

Ryan Murphy and the cast have said that they aren't in on who the killer is, but that a lot of the time Ryan will have them shoot the scene multiple times and each time he tells a different character to pretend that you are the killer in the scene so that he can get footage of each character looking or doing something suspicious that he could use in editing or a flashback at a later time. Pretty interesting way to structure the show.

• Love 1

It was campy and ridiculous and I liked it a lot. One of my favorite elements of Glee was hearing the inner monologue of the different characters and I'm glad Ryan Murphy carried that over to this show. I think it will help when we get to know the secondary characters more. It was a little too much Chanel for me in the same way that Glee could be too much Rachel Berry at times. 

• Love 1

I am not watching this show for realism.    I am watching for mindless entertainment.    

I loved the texting death scene because that is so totally what a vapid girl would do.    Texting is completely normal.   More normal than actually talking.

Loved when CHanel stuck Ms. Bean's face in the fryer, the other girls (after screaming, of course), were all "You killed her!:"    "No I didn't."  "You burned her face off!"   "You don't die from getting your face burned off."  "Yes you do."   In horror movies no one acts surprised that someone is killed.   Yet here, the girls were freaking while Chanel was sailing well down that lovely river De Nile.

• Love 3

Man, I wanted to like this show. Horror comedy is my absolute favorite genre, and it's woefully underserved. That said, I didn't HATE it. I'm not mad... Just disappointed.

First of all, just saying you're satire doesn't give you carte blanche to completely ignore plot structure and character motivation. If only the Chanels (plus maybe neck-brace) had seen the fryer incident I could have bought the premise, but what the fuck is everyone else doing there. The whole, "We'll lie and say it was you" thing was weak sauce. Like the cops wouldn't listen to the interchangeable blonde nice girl and the walking black girl stereotype (whom I'm sure Ryan Murphy thinks isn't racist because he's mostly using the positive stereotypes. I bet she's great at track) were they to file a report. For proper tongue-in-cheek characters with questionable motivation, see Cabin in the Woods. Ryan Murphy is no Joss Whedon, and it fucking shows.

Chad and the homo-Jo-Bro were awesome. My favorite line was when Chad told Chanel that one of the reasons she couldn't out the Jo-bro was that he was his bro, and also they really liked hitting golf balls at the gay-straight alliance.

Thank god they killed Ariana Grande. I hate that bitch. To be fair, I know almost nothing about her, but I was a recapper over at TVgasm (R.I.P) during the season of Big Brother that her brother was on, and he was the worst person in the Big Brother house. Think about that. Think about where the bar is set for Big Brother contestants. And he was the worst. I hate him, but it was kinda fun to watch him talk about his super famous baby sister because you could hear the venom in his voice when he did it. Frankie was supposed to be the star! Frankie!!!

In conclusion, I feel like this show is kinda the "Fat Amy" of satire. Just because you call yourself that it doesn't make you less fat or other people less judgy. I know this shit is supposed to be campy. I WANTED it to be campy. Campy does not mean glaring plot holes and a complete disregard for character development (unless you're a way better director than Ryan Murphy and can make that shit feel intentional). Also, pretty convinced that Chanel is bathtub baby, and MAYBE the killer. Maybe. I find it more Ryan Murphy-ish to have her be the bathtub baby, but not the killer. Two separate twists.

• Love 6

Oh Ryan Murphey. Your like a sugar high. At first taste, it delicious, filled with fun and energy and yumminess. It might not be healthy, but damn it, it just tastes so good. Then, the high ends. Your coming down hard, and suddenly, the fun is gone, the energy has been instantly burned out, and your just left with a stomach ache and a need to go to the gym. 

And yet...I know I am going to gobble this up. Damn it. 

Oh, and I liked main girl alright, until she dissed Pumpkin Spice Lattes. No one screws with Pumpkin Spice!

This is so accurate. I don't want this show to last more than a season, but for some reason, networks gobble up Ryan Murphy shows and make them go on for at least two seasons, so I expect two seasons out of this. And who knows if Ryan plans to make this an anthology, like AHS.

I agree about the Pumpkin Spice. I can see why some people dislike the idea of them (why can't they be around all year??), but I feel like this was Ryan's attempt at making Grace the ultimate hipster/anti popular girl. I really like Pumpkin Spice myself.

Thanks Tom87 and peacheslatour. Didn't realize that was from Gone with the wind. Am I giving this show too much credit? That line is so on the nose, I can't see how it could be just a coincidence. I think Mrs. Bean was one of the four sorority girls from the 1995 flashback.

Also, a healthy young woman, even outside a hospital setting, should not die from giving birth. It was 1995, not 1895. Does that mean that the co-ed in the flash-back is alive? Maybe it means nothing. Part of my issue with this show is that the showrunners want you to try to solve the mystery, but the tone is so absurd,  you can't tell a plot hole (of which there are many) from a clue. Ugh!!  I'm a sucker for a good mystery, I'm just not sure with this show how tied together its going to be. 

I would imagine that the flashback is only the start of us seeing what really happened that night. I trust there'll be more flashbacks to fill us in. I highly doubt she's dead; I actually thought maybe she had either taken something to make her lose consciousness (with her eyes open....whatever, it's Ryan Murphy. He'll use some absurd reason to explain that) or she did bleed more than usual and did temporarily die. I swear, if we find the sorority girls burying her body and sorority girl pops up from under the ground hours later....way too cliche.

It wasn't funny. It was "amusing" as in a "oh. that's amusing (said in a deapan voice)" kinda way but not burst out laughing funny. The Ariana Grande Texting/Tweeting her death scene comes to mind.

Too long. Too many characters. Too many story lines. Too much gross goriness for prime time. Just...too much.

That's it...it was Just. Too. Much. So much it turned me off.

There are a lot of characters, but I found there could have been more focus on other characters that aren't named Chanel (#1) or Grace. At least Pete had less screentime than a usual 'male lead' would. I guess it might lean more toward the show is more female-lead based. 

Ryan Murphy and the cast have said that they aren't in on who the killer is, but that a lot of the time Ryan will have them shoot the scene multiple times and each time he tells a different character to pretend that you are the killer in the scene so that he can get footage of each character looking or doing something suspicious that he could use in editing or a flashback at a later time. Pretty interesting way to structure the show.

Hmm....that's actually interesting. It keeps everyone on their toes, but then editors and Ryan&co can decide who the killer is by the end of the season. I'm sure they already have the finale either written or filmed by now, but I guess it's possible that he doesn't. It gets Ryan out of tricky situations if the fans want something different, and Ryan apparently loves appeasing to the fans 

• Love 1

Satire/camp/fantasy/black comedy, take your pick, doesn't have to be "realistic" but it has to make it's own internal "sense" and logic.

For a black comedy that works, take something like "Election" with Matthew Broderick and Reece Witherspoon, the characters are clearly meant to be satirical and not at all realistic depictions, but it works because within the fantasy of the movie their actions make sense.

• Love 11

Satire/camp/fantasy/black comedy, take your pick, doesn't have to be "realistic" but it has to make it's own internal "sense" and logic.

For a black comedy that works, take something like "Election" with Matthew Broderick and Reece Witherspoon, the characters are clearly meant to be satirical and not at all realistic depictions, but it works because within the fantasy of the movie their actions make sense.

Amen. It has to work within the realm of the show.

• Love 3

If that boner he had after Chanel #1 caught him & Chad in bed together was any indication, then Boone is either gay or bi, because IMO he sure ain't straight.

In all fairness, if Boone is faking being gay because he is in on this with Chanel, she was the only one who said he had a boner, and she would say that to keep the "myth alive" so to speak as she is in on the whole thing.  I think if  Chanel and Boone are in on this together with one of them as the bathtub baby, it would be great!  However, I think that is too clever for this show.  I'm thinking the killer will be someone much more obvious.  

I have a question, how on earth has Jamie Lee Curtis had such a long career, she's dreadful, and after the Emmy's obviously a dreadful human being.

Jamie Lee Curtis is good at comedy.  She got her start, of course, as a "scream queen" in Halloween, but it was her work in Trading Places, A Fish Called Wanda, and True Lies that really put her on the map.  Didn't watch all of the Emmy's this year!  I turned it off after the 2nd political speech and the 2nd win for "Veep" which I despise.  I don't like it when actors use awards shows to promote their political views, I just want the best in TV and acting acknowledged while looking at beautiful gowns!  What did Jamie Lee Curtis do or say on the Emmy's to make you say she is a "dreadful" human being?

Speaking of Jamie Lee, it occurred to me while watching how many actors in this pilot are closely related to other famous actors. Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, Jamie Lee, and Oliver Hudson--did I miss anyone?

• Love 1

I still stand by what I said last night: this was OKAY. It wasn't great and it veered off on trying too hard. I'm not entirely convinced we are done with Ariana Grande, because Nick Jonas wasn't really dead so why should we assume Ariana Grande won't come back?

Also, a healthy young woman, even outside a hospital setting, should not die from giving birth. It was 1995, not 1895. Does that mean that the co-ed in the flash-back is alive? Maybe it means nothing. Part of my issue with this show is that the showrunners want you to try to solve the mystery, but the tone is so absurd, you can't tell a plot hole (of which there are many) from a clue. Ugh!! I'm a sucker for a good mystery, I'm just not sure with this show how tied together its going to be.

I work in transfusion medicine and trust me there a lot of young women who go into labor, have something tear and experience post-partum hemorrhage. Not to mention anyone of any age can get preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome, both of which can cause death if not recognized and treated in time. Since she didn't receive any prenatal care there's now way of knowing if she was at risk for anything either.
  • Love 5

I think Mrs. Bean was one of the four sorority girls from the 1995 flashback.

She can't e I don't think. Didn't she come in to the bathroom with JLC (I think her hair was shoulder length) after they discovered the girl was dead?

Right--there was a scene set in 1995 where Mrs. Bean finds out about the dead bathtub girl and tells JLC about it, which is how the show reveals that JLC covered the death up. So she can't have been one of the sorority girls.

I haven't seen Abigail Breslin in much, but agree she seems miscast here, unless a future episode explains why she's not quite as Chanelesque as the others (another legacy?).

• Love 2

This is just awful. Even Jamie Lee and the fantastic Niecy Nash can't save it. Emma Roberts is beyond awful. I drift off or ff whenever she's on. ER is barely an actress, she certainly isn't lead/star material. I don't know if I will even be able to make it through my usual 3 episode run.

At this point, all I can say, is "I'm rooting for the killer. Go psycho go!"

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

"Is this scotch It's 10am!"  One of the few lines that actually made me laugh out loud.  Loved JLC, Boone (it is weird that a Jonas brother is one of the better draws for me-I am not sure how I feel about that.), Denise ("Shondelle why you got a knife in your throat?!?!" was another lol moment), & Chad was hysterical-everything about him was perfect.  I also really enjoyed Hester and Gigi. 

Grace & Chanel #1 are not quite doing it for me.  Chanel #5- Abigail Breslin is better than what they are giving her so far but I actually really like Chanel #3.

I like camp, but this show isn't quite there.  Its tone is uneven- I think that is the issue.  The actor playing Chad (as well as Niecy but she is a pro comedienne)- he gets it- he sells the camp-but still delivered a human moment (the bro cuddling).  "Women, men, animals at the zoo, probably plants..." That is where everyone else needs to be.

I'll give a few more episodes to settle because it has promise but the camp factor needs to be dialed up to 11 and more of the comedy needs to land right.  I feel like I liked more as I am writing about it-but I still am a bit "eh" on the show as a whole.  The end seems like it will go in the right direction though.  

Also- I assume Oliver Hudson will be evil because Jeff (Nashville) is evil and he was pretty good at it. 

• Love 3

(Also, I know the actors' age difference is appropriate for a father and daughter, especially if that father helped create his daughter while in college, but Skyler Samuels reads older than she is, and Oliver Hudson reads younger, and their chemistry is just way more...not the chemistry of a father and daughter. IF YOU FEEL ME.)

I do indeed Mr. Zeidel. it's an Eddie from Dawson's Creek hooking up with Chloe King vibe. Although they are 21 years apart...

• Love 1

I thought the show was over the top ridiculous with some pretty funny moments, but I think they could have upped the camp factor even more because at times it dragged and considering the show is hardly grounded in reality, there’s really no need to hold back. Maybe two hours was just a little too much.

I hope future episodes aren’t as centered around Chanel and Grace as the first two episodes were because I find both leads pretty dull. The supporting characters really make this show work for me. Niecy Nash as Denise, Lea Michele as Hester and Glenn Powell as Chad were the highlights for me. I also liked Nick Jonas, Nasim Pedrad, and KeKe Palmer.

Don’t find Chanel’s mean girl shtick all that funny and frankly Emma Roberts isn’t as good at playing bitchy Queen Bee as Ryan Murphy seems to think she is.

I kind of liked how offensive it was. No one was spared or off limits, which is a nice change of pace considering how easy it is to offend and outrage people these days.

Thank you for the background fireice13-- I thought those kinds of complications were more common with older mothers. I guess it WAS possible 'flashback mom' needed emergency medical treatment. 

I think Mrs. Bean was one of the four sorority girls from the 1995 flashback.

She can't e I don't think. Didn't she come in to the bathroom with JLC (I think her hair was shoulder length) after they discovered the girl was dead?

Callie lee 29 and The NewJanBrady I had obv tuned out by that point, because I don't remember that scene at all! There goes that theory! Though its clear we don't know the whole story yet. The ONLY thing interesting me about the show, is the mystery aspect. I was very displeased with the reveal of the major 'mystery' on Nip/Tuck. I'm hoping this one works out better.  

It's not the *intent *. which is the problem, aka Ryan Murphy is going for an over the top campy fantasy, but the execution. Some scenes are played fairly straight for suspense and then the tone veers off towards attempts at black macabre humor and it just doesn't jell.

For me the death-by-lawnmower scene was the weirdest. I was laughing out loud ("Are you singing or screaming? Is it Taylor Swift?") but the actual death that followed was so brutal, even if clean for TV standards.

It was funny enough for me, especially when the four Chanels were trying to do a blood oath. Emma Roberts is funny when she plays frustrated as opposed to stone cold bitchy.

Boone is probably really gay, but morning wood is a real thing and happens when you wake up during a REM cycle. #themoreyouknow

My friends make fun of me for always crushing on douchebag bro types, so of course Chad Radwell is my favorite person on this show.

We're not supposed to agree with those jokes or like the people making them. We're supposed to root for some of these assholes to die.

That's not funny though.

And honestly I thought we were suppose to root for Chanel, and frankly most people will. She's the Donald Trump of pretty women, and there's a section of the population that love that.

• Love 2

And yet I still stand by what I said previously this is the best written and yes funniest new pilot of the fall season. It not comedy is is dark black comedy. The scene where Jamie Lee Curtis was walking to a murder had this long VO made me love the show because every word of it was true in a twisted way. its black comedy but that's what Ryan Murphy Writes.

• Love 2

Watched the first two episodes. Not bad but it definitely needs to sort it's tone out and fairly fast to be honest.

Emma Roberts isn't particularly stretching herself acting wise as Chanel but she was better than any of the actors playing her minions though.

The antagonistic back and forth between Chanel, Grace and Zayday is amusing enough. Hester is amusing enough as a total creep as well.

They've set Pete up as someone not really reliable and even Cathy seems pretty unprofessional as well. Wes is a bit of a boring character and not too sure on Gigi and Chad yet. Less said about Denise the better though.

The stuff with Boone was the only real shocker of the first two episodes but I did like the flashbacks and between figuring out who both the baby and Red Devil are, it's got a decent hook to it.

The music choices are great too but tonally it needs to sort itself out and fast, 7/10

Edited by darkestboy

I'm curious now if most of the people posting here are new to Ryan Murphy's brand of "humor." It was so exactly what I expected, after watching all of Glee, most of Popular, 1.5 seasons of AHS, and one (late, not very good) season of Nip/Tuck. Brain dead, shock-value, horribly racist/misogynist, without an ounce of earnestness or logic "entertainment." There's almost no point in trying to parse the plot because there is no logic to a Murphy show, but Gigi has an agenda for sure, right? I'm slightly curious as to what that will be.

That being said, I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Nick Jonas, Nasrim Pedrad, and Jamie Lee Curtis especially. I expected Emma Roberts to bug me, but thought she was quite good. Abigail Breslin, that blond hair is such a no. Any homage to Heathers delights me.

I'm surprised the ratings were so low after the relentless marketing, but I'm also a bit surprised this show is on Fox instead of FX. Or hell, MTV. I think it might've done better on cable. Maybe.

• Love 1

And honestly I thought we were suppose to root for Chanel, and frankly most people will. She's the Donald Trump of pretty women, and there's a section of the population that love that.

I am pretty sure we are not supposed to root for Chanel- we are supposed to root for Grace (but she is dull, dull, dull...)Plus, the portion of the population that roots for Donald Trump is probably not the same portion that would watch a Ryan Murphy show.  Speculation on my part or course.  

It's not the *intent *. which is the problem, aka Ryan Murphy is going for an over the top campy fantasy, but the execution. Some scenes are played fairly straight for suspense and then the tone veers off towards attempts at black macabre humor and it just doesn't jell.

This 1000%.  

WHat I did like was Neicy Nash as the panicked security guard stopping the car and dumping her dead colleague by the side of the road as she yelled out " Shondelle" !

Now that was funny.

Now as to posters not "getting " Ryan Murphy's insulting non PC humor because they are not familiar with his type of shitck, IMO the problem is they *are* aware of it; there simply isn't anything fresh or new about it anymore. Shocking or offending of course is a big part of comedy but calling the maid " White Mammy" and having her mouth GWTW lines is bizarre as opposed to funny. This isn't Mr. Smithers (the Simpsons) level of cruel humor or even "The Office" level.

Samuels and Diego Bonetta have such low energy together. When he takes off his clothes it took a few seconds for me to realize Pete was actually trying to seduce Grace.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

This is my first Ryan Murphy show. Does that mean I'm going to be lost the whole time? It seems, from reading this forum, that you need to be familiar with the Murphyverse. I'm most familiar with JLC, but have only seen the other actors in one or two roles so I don't have enough stuff to judge them on yet. My daughter used to watch "Victorious" and AG was annoying on that as well. 

As a former sorority girl who loves Scream movies, Heathers, Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, Clueless, etc. I was hoping for a funny yet dark mashup of these movies in this show.

• Love 1

As a former sorority girl who loves Scream movies, Heathers, Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, Clueless, etc. I was hoping for a funny yet dark mashup of these movies in this show.

If you're familiar with these films, then you should be set as far as this show's concerned.

• Love 1

I understand RM is not to everyone's taste. I actually liked Glee's first couple of seasons where the witt was more biting and less sugarcoated lesson of the weak. I happen to have the UO (especially among fellow liberals) that political correctness is akin to Orwellian Doublespeak. It stops you from saying what you mean and worse think about what you are saying; so when show like this are purposefully offensive to everyone it tickles me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Certainly don't mind crude or even offensive humor, and it's certainly nothing new. Chaucer, anyone?

I think offensive *just* to be offensive is as lazy and chicken shitted as labeling everything else "PC".

Something well written, well executed , well acted and fun which is offensive is great.

Something poorly written, lazily executed, inconsistent ,tired and offensive , not so great.

Puzzled at those who doesn't agree with this stab of humor as reverted to Politically Correct mode, sometime a piece of shit is a piece of shit, PC or not.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 8

Also something not being PC is generally how people who think they're liberal justify laughing at racist jokes, misogynist and homophobic tropes and at people with disabilities.

I mentioned elsewhere there's a browser extension that changes 'political correctness' to 'treating people with respect.'

• Love 3
I think offensive *just* to be offensive is as lazy and chicken shitted as labeling everything else "PC".

Yeah pretty much. Personally I find the "you're too PC" or "you just don't get satire" reactions when people aren't impressed with that kind of writing is in itself predictable. In my opinion, there really is nothing bold and daring or creative and even genius about being offensive because it's actually really, really easy to be offensive. And at this point with Ryan Murphy and company, it's like "throw something else dude, we've seen this schtick before."

I watched the show online since I had zero desire to watch live but did want to form my opinion after reading the mixed reviews. Honestly, I wasn't even offended by the offensive stuff. I was just bored because it was sort of like, "this is the best you guys have?" The show itself felt like it was trying SO HARD to be clever, campy, funny, bold and shocking and it was none of those things. It was just a bunch of unlikable and boring people spouting some try hard lines. 

• Love 4

You know who I would like it to be? Chad. Not sure why, but I think that would be different. Better than it being Grace, Chanel or Pete, that's for sure.

I'm with you on thinking Chad would be a good pick for the killer. First off, that actor is great. He took a douchey character that could easily be dismissed and made him a highlight of the two episodes. He is a scene-stealer. I think he could do a lot once he was revealed as the killer. Anyway, I figure he might be the Tub Baby because he is really into dead bodies and has Mommy issues. I know that the same is true for Hester, but I would prefer for it to be him.

I liked the show. I wasn't in love with everything about it. There were some parts of the show I just rolled my eyes and fast forwarded. If I wanted to see a skinny bitch freak out over specialty coffee, I would just go to Starbucks myself. I don't like Emma Roberts. She was ok as Chanel, but she seemed very one-note. It may be the direction, and not the actress's fault.

I've seen 1 -2 seasons of a few of Ryan Murphy's shows. I gave up on him after Glee fell off a creative cliff in season 2. This man is a star that burns too brightly. He seems to vomit out all his best material in one to two seasons and is then like "fuck it, Murphy out!"

Leah Michelle was shamelessly mugging in some scenes, but overall I liked her performance. I fully expect Hester to flat-iron her hair and take the brace off at some point to reveal that she is actually quite attractive.

Grace is the worst. She wore one stupid hat after another. Who told her she should wear hats? Her father? The bastard. Grace was broke my heart in her first scene when she called Oliver Hudson, Dad. That one hurt. I could have sworn he was the hot young thing two seconds ago. This forced me to realize that was about 12+ years ago. Son of a bitch.

Boone and Chad were the best thing about this episode. They were amazing together! Chad's easy acceptance of the world's adulation cracked me up. He isn't even trying to be arrogant or rude. It is just a fact of life that accepts and needs everyone else to understand. Boone was acting like Smithers from his first scene. I agree with the recapper, that dismissive hand motion he made to Chanel while they were playing golf was hilarious. Who knew the baby Jonas could be funny? I was bummed when I thought he was dead. I just hope that Boone can quickly resurrect himself and start hanging out with Chad again. Their dynamic is great. I really appreciated that Chad is guilty of many things, but being homophobic or disloyal to a close friend aren't any of them.

• Love 1

We're not supposed to agree with those jokes or like the people making them. We're supposed to root for some of these assholes to die.

Which is amusingly the exact opposite approach MTV's Scream took, trying to make us like the characters so we'd root for them and feel bad when killed.

Edited by Last Time Lord
  • Love 2

i enjoyed it.  found it every entertaining.  Jamie Lee Curtis made me Howl when she was in bed with the jock!  girl can bring some funny!  Not the best show in the world, but definitely entertaining.  I will be back for the fun of it!

• Love 2

My significant other just watched this show, and he was all offended on my behalf. As a sorority woman, he figured I would be offended by the show repeatedly saying that all sororities are evil, and filled with vapid mean girls.  I told him to relax. Its Ryan Murphy. He has yet to find a group of people he cant stereotype and make broad generalizations about. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I hate the main girl being all "I hate pumpkin spice, get me real coffee" scene. Its like "I`m not like those OTHER girlie girls! I`m a cool, independent thinker girl! Other girls are so LAME right"? Do we really need to judge women by their freaking coffees? 

• Love 3