Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

A man named Brian Finch develops superhuman abilities after taking a mysterious drug called NZT in the series premiere of this adaptation of the 2011 film starring Bradley Cooper, who serves as executive producer and reprises his role as Eddie Mora. First up: Brian attempts to clear his name of an NZT-related murder being investigated by the FBI.

Wasn't bad, the cast is really likeable... but it already seems to be going in the direction of a Elementary/Psych/Monk-like procedural, that should very quickly become one of too many. Hopefully there are some twists & turns added in that would make the formula less... formulaic.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 13

Came here to say the same thing. I really liked the show, up until the last 5 minutes. "Imagine how much he'll help the FBI with cases!" UGH. I dont need another police procedural. It would be so much more interesting to look into the morality of what he should do with his newfound super intelligence (and avoiding the FBI at the same time). They touched on it a bit with Dad being sick.

I am glad he is single so we can avoid the "whiny lonely girlfriend/wife who must be kept in the dark" angle. That is one storyline that's been beaten to death.

It's really hard seeing Not Deb. I loved her in Dexter, but if I hadn't seen that show before, I woulda thought she was a bad actress. I didn't connect with her character at all; she seemed a little pathetic.

• Love 3

Came here to say the same thing. I really liked the show, up until the last 5 minutes. "Imagine how much he'll help the FBI with cases!" UGH. I dont need another police procedural.

Another talented genius character who gets stuck doing procedural work that other people should've been capable enough to do their own jobs, I guess.

• Love 2

`I just saw the pilot and thought it was pretty well-done.  Decent writing and acting, although I admit that I am not a fan of Jennifer Carpenter (or her stringy hair - get it cut/curled or something, please, so that your ears don't stick out).

• Love 1

I do not find Brian (?) relateable. The first ten minutes just kept reminding me that I'm watching a show about a guy who got to screw around and now feels bad because he has nothing to show for it? I almost didn't make it through the dinnertime scene.

On a good note, I'm interested in Rebecca- she got the full-on Batman backstory. And though they didn't do anything with her coworker, I like the guy from his time playing Calder on Covert Affairs. Don't know Bradley Cooper, and honestly had no idea this show was an adaptation from a movie, but his character is interesting. However, once they had Rebecca say the line about never lying to her, I immediately guessed how the next few seasons would go  depending on how long they drag out the sure-to-happen-romance plot.

I'll probably watch it on demand to see Carpenter and the guy from Covert Affairs.

Edited by william0102
  • Love 3

I saw it and I enjoyed it.  Very good cast and the plot movie quickly (perhaps too quickly).  The beginning plays much like the movie it's based on.  Always good to see Ron Rifkin and although they're not in a scene together, great to have an Alias reunion with Bradley Cooper.  Nice to see Blair Brown in this too.  I'll watch again next week but don't know if I'll watch all season.  It does seem like another procedural in the end.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I'm in the minority, I guess. I found this show so boring. I couldn't take the main character talking to himself or narrating his thoughts one more second. I'll take Eli's phone! I know the strength in my hands! I remember every documentary I've ever seen!

So, he's going to take pills and solve a case every week for the FBI? Romance with the FBI lady ensues? Yawn.

• Love 8

So, he's going to take pills and solve a case every week for the FBI? Romance with the FBI lady ensues? Yawn.

I'll wait a bit to give it a chance, but yeah, it's pretty much that for the show.

• Love 2

I was entertained enough, even though it really feels like it's basically off the CBS-assemble line.  Brilliant lead?  Check.  Partner that challenges him?  Check?  Boss played by a veteran actress?  You betcha!  Other cop that's played by a minority?  Not only that, it's Hill Harper!  All that's missing right now is the quirky tech geek, played by someone we're suppose to pretend isn't hot, because he or she has glasses.

I love Jennifer Carpenter, but I really can only think of her as Deb.  Only without the profanity.  Had Deb saw a guy jump in front of a train like that, all of her words would have either been shit or fuck.

Ron Rifkin and Blair Brown were pleasant surprises.

I don't want to saintify him or anything, but I still thought it was cool that Bradley Cooper showed up for a scene.  I like that even though he's a big star now, he's still willing to acknowledge his earlier work like this and Wet Hot Summer America.

• Love 12

All that's missing right now is the quirky tech geek, played by someone we're suppose to pretend isn't hot, because he or she has glasses.

Always time for that, after all it's a CBS show.

yada, yada, yada...... Just bring back "Fringe" already....

Ok, had to get that off my chest. LOL

Liked the movie (it was on this past weekend so we watched it again to freshen our memories for the tv show).

Mr ShowsILoveToHate and I liked the show well enough. Agree that it was good that Bradley Cooper reprised his role; made the show's world more believable.

Didn't know any of the actors except for Blair Brown.

The helping the FBI thing is old...but can still be fun in a tv show.  We plan to keep watching.

• Love 1

The liver transplant thing bothered me the way they set it up. A liver transplant does not require a dead donor, because it does not require a total organ for transplant. The liver can regenerate, so I think all they really need is someone who's a match, to donate PART of their liver. I don't like the idea that the FBI would tamper with the transplant list, but they could have recruited a donor and that would have satisfied me as a reasonable negotiation. For that matter, why didn't Beloved Son get tested to see if he himself could donate?

If someone with more knowledge of the medicine is watching, please correct me if I'm wrong. I realize I might be off on my facts due to something specific about the case. But it seemed like an unnecessarily problematic resolution, already putting the FBI in shady territory-- and making Genius Son kind of a dupe. Not that he isn't kind of like that when not on the NZT, and not that the FBI isn't shady anyway. But it seemed like a bad excuse to highlight it through the particulars they used.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

Yeah, I'm happy that Cooper is still doing some television.  He got his start there and did quite a bit of it...the first thing I ever saw him in was Alias and that's still a favorite show of mine.

Was watching Alias yesterday .Double the dose of Alias alums with him and Ron .And Robert Orci was a producer on it as well.

And Cooper has a executive production credit for the show as well as seemingly being credited with popping up in most of the episodes.

• Love 1

The liver transplant thing bothered me the way they set it up. A liver transplant does not require a dead donor, because it does not require a total organ for transplant. The liver can regenerate, so I think all they really need is someone who's a match, to donate PART of their liver. I don't like the idea that the FBI would tamper with the transplant list, but they could have recruited a donor and that would have satisfied me as a reasonable negotiation. For that matter, why didn't Beloved Son get tested to see if he himself could donate?

If someone with more knowledge of the medicine is watching, please correct me if I'm wrong. I realize I might be off on my facts due to something specific about the case. But it seemed like an unnecessarily problematic resolution, already putting the FBI in shady territory-- and making Genius Son kind of a dupe. Not that he isn't kind of like that when not on the NZT, and not that the FBI isn't shady anyway. But it seemed like a bad excuse to highlight it through the particulars they used.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of them tampering with the transplant list either.

• Love 3

Cooper has a executive production credit for the show as well as seemingly being credited with popping up in most of the episodes.

The Senator said Brian will need a shot "every so often"—thus explaining his appearances.

The shots allow Brian to take NZT with no side effects. The FBI was surprised his brain hadn't started rewiring itself (they gave him CT scans), so they want to study him in hopes of reverse engineering a safe version of the drug. But didn't they say users look like the walking dead within a year? So how long had Eli and the investment bankers been using?

• Love 4

I liked this, I haven't seen the movie so I had no idea what it was going to be about.

I like Hill Harper and Jennifer Carpenter. Also I love any show with Mary Elizabeth Mastarantonio, I just love her name.

I'm a sucker for a CBS procedural and this definitely fits the bill.

• Love 1

For that matter, why didn't Beloved Son get tested to see if he himself could donate?

It would be unsafe to donate a liver that might harbor NZT-48. Or given Brian's previous ways, maybe hepatitis. 

The father's disease provides strong motivation to agree to serve the FBI, resolving the question of why he's hanging around. Additionally, the show is pretty clear that the crime-solving in some ways is an extra benefit. Their real hope is to figure out how the guy doesn't die. The show's version of the FBI doesn't seem to be bothered by procedural details like warrants or charges but does somehow seem to be engaged in pharmaceuticals research. Sorry, I can't think of this as a procedural in any shape, form or fashion. It's in the line of Eccentric Great Detective, a la  Dupin, Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Nero Wolfe, Thomas Jane. 

The bankers had not been using long, because illness and possible death set in rather quickly. The big thing at the end of the movie was getting around that.

Brian has the long term goal of finding out who first produced NZT. Paying off the FBI and earning his shots from Senator Eddie by solving the Big Mystery are good enough to start off with.

As to the characterization, Brian may not have been monetarily successful, and was going through a creative rough patch. But as his banker friend knew, Brian was doing what he wanted. The equation not rich=you're a nobody is not immediately compelling, even when presented as the last word from a supergenius. (Eddie in the movie was pretty much unpublished, not just worst-selling.)  But he's not going to be all rich working off his debt to the FBI either. Working through all this could be compelling, if they choose to follow up.

Worth sticking around for, to find out where they do go.

• Love 1

I love Jennifer Carpenter, but I really can only think of her as Deb.  Only without the profanity.  Had Deb saw a guy jump in front of a train like that, all of her words would have either been shit or fuck.

I thought the same thing, kind if wished we got a little of Deb's glorious cursing at that moment.

• Love 2

I keep thinking that you do not hire Uncle Arvin and Cyborg Nina if all you want is a pair of stay-at-home, regular folks kind of parents. (Unless they were guest stars for the pilot only, which makes it stunt casting, I suppose.)

I knew the dark tone (not to mention the gray morality) of the movie would have to be eased somewhat for episodic network television -- especially on CBS. One of the side effects seems to be that NZT brings forward a fight-or-flight, kill-or-be-killed kind of atavistic level of response -- but Brian, as the show keeps telling us, is a Good Person! He only wants to save his Dad.

Uncle Arvin

LMAO. I love Ron Rifkin. Is it too far-fetched for him and Bradley Cooper to have a scene together at some point??

I watched it only because nothing else was on, and was pleasantly surprised. The constant promos were irritating and I cannot stand Jennifer Carpenter. It seemed more in the Elementary vein - different than the NCIS/JAG/Criminal Minds standard CBS procedural. I did groan a little when they did the "all the cases you can solve!" bit, because I'm more interested in the overarching NZT mystery than what you can do when you're on it. Bradley Cooper's appearance gives me hope that they'll address that.

However, the minute they introduce a girl with colorful glasses and pigtails who can magically Google in two nanoseconds or a hot guy with a flannel buttondown, longish hair and glasses to signify he's a NERRRRD, I'm OUT.

• Love 2

I liked it.  The lead guy is charismatic enough.  When he had to pick the lock and he flashed back to being stuck in fuzzy handcuffs and his partner googling how to lock pick them, I knew I was going to like this show.  I kind of wish the actress from Dexter wasn't in this though.  I never cared for her character on that show and she is completely dull in this.

I was confused by the end when he "robbed" the bank so that they could find the evidence in the vault.  Wouldn't that be inadmissible in court since he obtained it without any search warrant?

Edited by Mecca
  • Love 1

I don't want to saintify him or anything, but I still thought it was cool that Bradley Cooper showed up for a scene.  I like that even though he's a big star now, he's still willing to acknowledge his earlier work like this and Wet Hot Summer America.

Cooper is an executive producer on the show, I expected him to prop it up with at least a cameo. He also showed up for the Wet Hot American Summer prequel on Netflix this summer, and has been producing some of his movies as well. 

I checked out the pilot for Jake McDorman who ended up being my favourite on Greek by the end of the show. Enjoyed the episode for the most part, but I won't be that into the series if it turns it into a full fledged procedural without some solid overarching mystery behind it. I may be wrong (and my attention wandered for a bit) but I got the impression Bradley intended for Jake McDorman to get installed to work for the FBI, which could be the serialized aspect of a season-long conspiracy.  

The fetus talking in Bradley Cooper voice was trippy.

Edited by fakeempress

I was surprised at how much I liked this pilot, mostly because it's a show on CBS.  If they let us explore Brian's inner life -- how does this affect his relationships, what is he thinking about himself, how do his friends handle his new abilities, etc -- then I think this could continue to be a good show.  

If, instead, he's just a crime-solving supergeek, I'll stop watching. I've got room on my schedule for a good show with interesting twists. Stopped watching CSI when the novelty wore off -- way too formulaic. Monk was fun because he was quirky and Tony Shaloub is a brilliant actor. Never really got into the characters on NCIS because they're all so smug, and that 43-year-old woman with the babytalk voice and pigtails offends me with her refusal to acknowledge that she's an adult. I'm not entertained by pointless rudeness so I never warmed up to Thomas Jane -- deliberately ruins a crime scene by making tea and destroying the evidence but it's okay because he's blonde and troubled. Or something. Am literally repelled by Jonnie Lee Miller so no Elementary despite the wonderful Lucy Lu. Bring it on, Limitless. .  

• Love 1

I was confused by the end when he "robbed" the bank so that they could find the evidence in the vault.  Wouldn't that be inadmissible in court since he obtained it without any search warrant?

I think that may fall under The Silver Platter Rule/Doctrine. Because Brian was officially a civilian, he could bring the evidence to the Feds. Where it gets tricky is whether Silver Platter stands even if the civilian is actively committing a felony in order to bring evidence to the Feds.  ( For myself, it's the waiting around until Agent Deb appeared, spilled the supposition, then took her to the safe deposit vault-- as he's "robbing" a bank, with a firearm he took off a guard.)

Overall, it's was okay. I might hangout with this rather than Best Time Ever because it's not trying so hard to get me to like it sooooo much.

I, too, am more interested in the NZT side of stuff and how a musician would come at the experience. I wasn't sure the electric guitar thing was due to the drug or if the speed of the piece was a result of the drug. It could also highlight how much of a liar/dreamer Brian is by showing Brian actually writing music, of all kinds. Bits of a rhythm or something hook-y feeling, just something that signals how Brian differs from Senator Eddie ( a writer, iirc) or Eli (former bandmate/investment banker) or any other NZT users. It doesn't have to be A Thing, but something that reminds us that he's not a born-and-bred cop-type would be appreciated.

I appreciated that when Brian was trying to explain to his folks what was wrong with Uncle Arvin that he sounded and felt like he was fighting losing the reasoning behind the conclusion. That if his folks would just shut up, he could get the whole thing out and then they could ignore him or whatever, but he had the cause.  It was a great scene in that you understood why his folks reacted the way they did, not just Because Plot. Because they eventually did trust him, which  goes back to the expositioned love between Brian and his dad. It was small, but a nice scene.

I hated the "never lie to me" thing at the end. Usually because the person asking for complete honesty barely qualifies for the reverse. So, if that is dropped in the next couple of episodes, that'd be nice.  Agent Deb's gonna have things she can't officially go into with him, so why do that?

I'm interested in the next episode, so there's that.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

It seems like every new one-hour drama this fall is some iteration of the same premise - "it's like CSI, with a twist!" Can't the networks come up with any ideas for shows that aren't crime solving procedurals? 

I mean, I liked the pilot well enough, it held my attention and was fast-paced. But it just seemed to lay the premise for SuperGenius and FBI lady to go solving crime cases week after week. With suggestions of a budding romance between them, no doubt. I don't know if I like it well enough to watch that every week.

It sort of reminds me of Forever, a show on ABC last year that was cancelled after one season. Instead of an immortal you've got a chemically induced genius, but otherwise it's basically the same kind of show, with a super-powered "civilian" helping the local authorities solve crimes every week. Sure there might be a over-arching mystery throughout the series but at its core it's kind of an unoriginal, not too far out of the box and playing it safe kind of thing.

Yeah I found the resolution to the crime very slapdash to be honest. Did they even arrest or question that guy ?

It was like we found something with a victim's blood on it in a safe deposit box that we broke into during a bank robbery. Wouldn't FBI lady be in trouble because she helped him essentially rob a bank for evidence?

Also that guy is supposed to be a NZT user so wouldn't he have a good lawyer on retainer for exactly this sort of situation.

Also is taking NZT a crime ?

I don't know about this one, it reminds me of Mentalist with the genius helping detectives which was funny the first episode but all his many crimes became ridiculous. Any decent lawyer could throw out most of the cases he's involved with. I don't think having a civilian consultant means you can ignore evidentiary procedures and laws at whim.

I think that may fall under The Silver Platter Rule/Doctrine. Because Brian was officially a civilian, he could bring the evidence to the Feds. Where it gets tricky is whether Silver Platter stands even if the civilian is actively committing a felony in order to bring evidence to the Feds.  ( For myself, it's the waiting around until Agent Deb appeared, spilled the supposition, then took her to the safe deposit vault-- as he's "robbing" a bank, with a firearm he took off a guard.)

I think an attorney could probably argue that since he used force to gain access to the evidence he could have just as easily planted it before Agent Deb (I like that name lol) got there. 

Yeah I found the resolution to the crime very slapdash to be honest. Did they even arrest or question that guy ?

I think they showed a quick shot of the guy being arrested, but I agree with you, it doesn't really add up. 

I'm just going to shut my brain off for this show.  Just like other cop shows, the legal system rarely makes any sense. 

• Love 1

I'm just going to shut my brain off for this show.  Just like other cop shows, the legal system rarely makes any sense. 

The legal system makes sense in crime procedurals, which is not to say they don't make errors. It's become the custom to praise The Wire but The Wire couldn't make it a full five seasons even on HBO. I think one of the reasons was that the first (and best) season was a full-bore procedural. The common claim The Wire was a slow burn never made any sense to me...it always felt more intense because it always felt like it could actually happen unlike most caper/heist or great detective shows. 

• Love 1

It seems like every new one-hour drama this fall is some iteration of the same premise - "it's like CSI, with a twist!" Can't the networks come up with any ideas for shows that aren't crime solving procedurals?

Apparently not as it's very few and far in between, and that goes double for CBS shows as it's even more common for them.

Loved the movie so I was super excited about the TV series. I found myself completely bored with the pilot. Part of the reason is that I found Jake McDorman lacked charm. I'll still give it another try before removing from my DVR schedule.

Well, I like this show better than the other two new crime 'procedurals' so far at least.  Maybe its the faster pace, as I'm not yet convinced on the two stars.  I do agree that having Rifkin and Brown in the cast suggests to me that their roles are going to be more than just the 'occasionally' seen parents.

I liked how even when he wasn't on NZT, Brian could see that one plant was taller than the other.

The only reason I could fathom as to why Brian didn't offer part of his liver to his father is that maybe they needed a liver that didn't have the same genetic flaw.  Still, its not like you need a dead person's liver for a transplant.

• Love 1

I liked it.  The lead guy is charismatic enough.  When he had to pick the lock and he flashed back to being stuck in fuzzy handcuffs and his partner googling how to lock pick them, I knew I was going to like this show.

Ditto 

I didn't think he needed to prove to a court that he was innocent, just to the FBI lady. No?

The only reason I could fathom as to why Brian didn't offer part of his liver to his father is that maybe they needed a liver that didn't have the same genetic flaw.  Still, its not like you need a dead person's liver for a transplant.

I didn't think of the genetic flaw thing, but now that you mention it, I guess we were supposed to assume that. I just assumed he couldn't give a piece of his own liver because it would mean turning himself in as a murderer.

I think everyone's pretty much hand waved this but if you want a more reasonable explanation, let's go with: That safe deposit box was a clue in an ongoing investigation of a crime. Because he committed the crime (bank robbery), the FBI (and police) were there to investigate... he made that specific deposit box a clue in the investigation of THAT crime (the bank) and the ongoing investigation (the murder). If they believe there was evidence in that box that would help solve either case, they'd have reason to open it.

I was fully expecting to hate this show, and when I first heard of the concept, I thought it would be a bad imitation of The Pretender, where he becomes someone different every week.  But, I did like this show, and will look forward to watching it

asks the lady agent why she didn’t take the shot in the subway like it is perfectly normal for FBI agents to shoot unarmed suspects who have their hands in the air

I love this-- it really does speak to the way we're conditioned to expect cops to act, both on TV and IRL.

• Love 1

Sorry, I can't think of this as a procedural in any shape, form or fashion. It's in the line of Eccentric Great Detective, a la Dupin, Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Nero Wolfe, Thomas Jane.

I'm not entertained by pointless rudeness so I never warmed up to Thomas Jane -- deliberately ruins a crime scene by making tea and destroying the evidence but it's okay because he's blonde and troubled.

Racking my brain trying to figure out what procedural/detective show Thomas Jane is on before I realized you were referring to Simon Baker's Patrick Jane!

I like the show so far. At first, Jake McDorman seemed generic and forgettable but he's growing on me. I always found Jennifer Carpenter kind of one-note on Dexter and unfortunately, she seems to be playing pretty much the same character here, minus the feistiness and the potty mouth.

• Love 3