Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Stephen Fishbach

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I know I'm a bad person for laughing at Stephen's distress... but I couldn't help it. Mean as is is, I laughed at his viscous case of the poos, but to be honest I laughed five times as hard at his desperate attempt at showing what an "in the know" insider he is when he lamely suggested a "severe gastrointestinal distress" hashtag... and the show displayed his real relevance by just ignoring his suggestion.  It was another one of those little moments that seemed inherently to be about how his ego is built on a foundation of wanting to be in some insider group--in this case, that he could deliberately emit something out of his mouth that would be used as an onscreen hashtag.  Of all the desperate seeming stuff he's said or done on this show, this somehow seemed one of the most pathetic. 

I also gave Spencer (who I like more and more each episode--a rare thing on this show as a season progresses) a "hell yeah" when he mockingly referred to Stephen's "Survivor Know-It-All" status (in reference to Stephen's revealing picks for his reward challenge). 

Even the way Stephen talked about the advantage he had smacked of desperation to show his relevance/mark on the game. When asked to explain the advantage note how important the phrase "for the first time in Survivor history" was to his explanation. When in fact that was the part of the explanation that really mattered the least (to anyone besides Stephen, that is). 

As for Stephen "splitting" his own dual vote and thus (in essence) sending himself home? Do I even have to SAY it? I think not. Other than to note it inherently seemed to be about him showing off. "I went out big" was his excuse.  Because again it was about "making history", not actually playing with any smarts or common sense.

I can't say he deserves an epitaph like "Worst. Player. Ever."  But maybe... "Most Pathetic Player Ever?"

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

Oh, Ahab....if you are going to make analogies, at least make one to someone that wins in the end!  I'm sure he saw himself triumphing unlike Ahab, but even as his mind went to that story, he couldn't take his eyes off Joe....he had his answer in his own head and ignored it.

Edited by pennben

Obviously the edit went out of it's way to make him look "bad" (gratuitous scenes of him sucking at chopping coconuts, picking his nose, etc), but it's actually had the opposite effect and has made me like him even more. I appreciate that he's a human with emotions and pettiness and weakness.

The only time I've ever disliked him is when he blasted Andrea on twitter and when he coddled Coach/insinuated Erinn is evil for refusing to do the same. But when he's vulnerable and genuine I really like him, and thought he was actually pretty consistent from his previous season.

• Love 8

Stephen's blindside ranks as one of my all time favorites. From his 33% chance of a blindside to arrogantly saying the person whose vote he was stealing he was in turn voting for them, to casting Joe's vote for Joe and saying it was 29 days coming and he was going to marinate in it-I mean, was that really a big deal? Then having having a quick exit after being blindsided. Couldn't have worked out any better.

• Love 8

Obviously the edit went out of it's way to make him look "bad" (gratuitous scenes of him sucking at chopping coconuts, picking his nose, etc),

Most of his looking bad was due to things out of his own mouth, his own play style of continuing to harp on his own strategic expertise and some aching need to make "historic" moves or pontificate on Survivor as a game or his role in it's history. His social awkwardness was mostly analyzed out of his own mouth, but the show was actually fairly kind to him in that regard--allowing his own analysis on screen IS kind/ the show trying to be fair vs. if the show had just had others say it about him (because when shows DON'T allow that, they imply a lack of self-awareness on TOP of being social misfits). So they spared him that. Also there are a million different editing techniques, like putting bouncy or foolish sounding music under someone's actions that the show didn't do with him.  He dug his own grave for the most part.

• Love 5

I have mixed feelings about Stephen.

On the one hand, I am thrilled he is gone and kind of happy he went out after his idiotic "let me marinate in this" comment after splitting his advantage double vote. His obsession with Joe was over the top and caused him no end of problems. He was too fixated on one course of action. He was not flexible or adaptable and it bit him in the ass. I don't understand how someone who is a student of the game fell into the trap that Stephen did.

On the other hand, I don't think he really deserved the dofus edit he was given. I get that he was clueless about Surviving and that he struggled with that element and that was funny to watch. But the secret scenes which make him out to be more socially awkward then Cochran. He was so nervous throughout the game. I think the weight of podcasting about the show and writing about the show got to him.

Overall, I think he is another Survivor Super Fan who is better discussing the game then playing the game.

• Love 6

No idea. I think we will find out more on Monday when they conduct the interviews.

I just watched the secret scene. Stephen was embarrassed to have the pedicure because his feet were so bad. He stopped the women pretty much right after she started.

Waterlogged feet that don't have a chance to dry out for a long time in unsanitary conditions = immersion syndrome (aka trench foot).

Those who feel that the conditions aren't tough enough, might be encouraged to note that Survivor seems to be emulating WWI battlefield conditions.*

* trench foot, dysentery...

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

The Ponderosa thread has had a discussion about whether or not Stephen is weak for crying. I'm replying in here because I think my responses would be off-topic in that thread:

A few years ago I fell and broke my leg in two places, tore all four major ligaments and knocked the knee out of joint. I didn't cry. I refuse to believe that means I'm weak or repressed. Remember when Stephanie had her shoulder knocked out of place and didn't cry? Not weak.

All that means is that you and Stephanie have high tolerances for that kind of pain. Pain and stress are subjective phenomena, so it's impossible to say whether Stephen's combination of trench foot, GI issues, and game frustration would have brought any of us to tears as well. Additionally, it's possible to be highly sensitive to one type of pain while being tolerant of another. For instance, I am a complete baby about blunt force pain, but if I accidentally burn myself on something? It hurts, but my response isn't nearly as extreme as it is when I stub my toe.

Someone mentioned Jeremy crying.

He got emotional over his family and it was was very brief, more teary eyed than anything else. I wouldn't criticize that type of crying.

Fishbach was crying over things not going his way, and it being too cold and difficult. We aren't talking about getting watery eyes either. We are talking about him braying like a donkey while speaking sentences.

That is weakness, and it is the kind of weakness I do not respect.

I'm curious about where Andrew Savage's tears over telling the story of meeting his hot wife while also being a successful lawyer fit into this scheme. I know a lot of people found it ridiculous, but I don't remember anyone accusing Andrew of being weak for crying, even though that story took place 20 years ago and had a happy ending (for Andrew, anyway).

Personally, I don't think crying or not crying has anything to do with strength. Strength (at least in an emotional sense, which is what we're talking about here) means doing what you think/know needs to be done despite the negative emotions it might bring—for instance, ending a relationship with someone you love who has an addiction, and refuses to get help for it takes a lot of emotional strength. Someone doing that may or may not cry a lot while they do this, but as long as they follow through they are not weak. I think Stephen showed strength because he was clearly in a great deal of distress, but was adamant that he wasn't going to quit.

Edited for formatting/grammar stuff.

Edited by Hera
  • Love 10

If Stephen is weak because he cried due to emotional/psychological/physical pain then I guess both Andrew & Jeremy are also weak because of crying due to emotional/psychological pain.

There is probably a correlation between emotional/psychological/physical "strength" and crying (physically showing the emotional/psychological/physical distress) but I don't think it is a cut and dried causation.

Fishbach was entertaining but his game was messy--he was so obvious about his tight 4 alliance, he was oblivious to the prior vote where almost everyone voted against him yet next time around he splits the vote (he did nothing, per editing, to counteract the prior votes against him yet he thought they wouldn't try to vote him out again), etc….by messy game, I mean, bad strategy or ineffectively applied strategy. However his drama was entertaining and these past two episodes which are fish-centric were some of the best two hours of Survivor.

• Love 5

I'm curious about where Andrew Savage's tears over telling the story of meeting his hot wife while also being a successful lawyer fit into this scheme. I know a lot of people found it ridiculous, but I don't remember anyone accusing Andrew of being weak for crying, even though that story took place 20 years ago and had a happy ending (for Andrew, anyway).

Personally, I don't think crying or not crying has anything to do with strength. Strength (at least in an emotional sense, which is what we're talking about here) means doing what you think/know needs to be done despite the negative emotions it might bring—for instance, ending a relationship with someone you love who has an addiction, and refuses to get help for it takes a lot of emotional strength. Someone doing that may or may not cry a lot while they do this, but as long as they follow through they are not weak. I think Stephen showed strength because he was clearly in a great deal of distress, but was adamant that he wasn't going to quit.

Edited for formatting/grammar stuff.

I tried to contrast the difference between Jeremy and Fishbach's crying.

Savage getting teary over his wife story would be similar to what Jeremy did. I wouldn't call that kind of tearing up weakness.

What Fishbach was crying over was very different and a display of weakness.

Fishbach was crying over being out in the rain with diarrhea. He wasn't just teary-eyed, he was braying like a spoiled little donkey.

When he was crying about Joe and JT, again, a very big difference than getting teary over talking about a loved one.

Fishbach was crying over the game not going his way and the discomfort diarrhea and being in the rain.

Since you quoted my earlier post, I assume you read it.

You don't see a difference?

• Love 1

I'll give Stephen a pass for breaking down in the rain/cold/due to illness.  But breaking down over not being able to get people to vote out Joe was pathetic.  I think he's got issues there that go beyond JT.  But he seems to have an extremely successful and happy life outside of the game.  I get Jeremy crying over missing his kids and pregnant wife.  I can understand crying over missing family, even if Savage's reasoning was a good laugh.  But crying because you aren't getting your way?  Yeah, I wouldn't get on board with that with anyone. 

I will say that I'll never be able to read any of his criticisms of future players or the game without laughing or rolling my eyes.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

sounds like Stephen had real reasons to cry whereas the others had pitiful reasons to cry! I am not even a Stephen fan. So 5 tears aren't crying, what about 10, 20, 100. I understand "context" and it sounds like crying over a lame context, or reason, is ok (missing your perfect model wife or pregnant wife after being away from them a few weeks is "tough" and ok) whereas crying about freezing, hungry, diarrhea, cramps, dehydration, and near-Trench feet that are swollen, painful and infected is "weak". I suspect there is some bias if that is crying because one is a pansy whereas hero savage or hero jeremy (alpha males) crying means sensitive manly man who is a family man and tough and his masculine tears are just evidence of his all powerful love for his woman and since he loves a woman he is a man so he can shed a few tears and still be a man… whatever, I need to step away 

• Love 10

I don't hate alpha males but I dislike double standards like--->Ok for alpha males to cry for trivial reasons and not ok for beta males to cry for real reasons.

I don't think I actually said my personal beliefs about crying in general and was pointing out something that did not seem rational (the double standard) imo. For me it is a case by case basis and I really didn't care about any of them crying in private. I liked that Stephen actually stopped and touched on how ridiculous it was for him to cry about not swaying everyone to vote for Joe awhile back (he was aware that it was silly and it was just that he was frustrated). They are all human and have strengths and weaknesses. I thought it was pathetic, yet nice at the same time, that someone got teary over being away from family for a couple weeks but who am I to judge--maybe they are more needy and dependent than I am--I'm ok with them crying for reasons valid for them even if the reasons seem "weak" for me. I believe both alphas and betas cry about family and that is why the family visits are often annoying for me.

I like balance people and for example, Jeremy who is alpha seems balanced---can be "weak" and cry (if that is concerned weak) and it's ok. Someone who is always strong doesn't seem balanced. The terms "strong" and "weak" are not the best descriptors imo. I don't think people should bottle emotions up in themselves and they should release them at appropriate times (channel them into competitions, or cry when alone or scream when alone or paint, exercise, etc). Jeremy and Fish going off alone to cry is fine and I see no difference between the to expect imo Fish had a better reason to cry whereas others may think savage and jeremy had better reasons.

I've probably contradicted myself in all of this but basically if it is ok for one person to cry then it is ok for another to cry. I think we disagree on reasons and I wondered if you excused the alphas since they were alphas since their reasons for crying seemed "weak". I thought you were pro-alpha. I am alpha-neutral unless faced with a pro-alpha or anti-alpha double standard imo.

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 7

The Ponderosa thread has had a discussion about whether or not Stephen is weak for crying. I'm replying in here because I think my responses would be off-topic in that thread:

I'm as big a critic as Stephen has here, but even I don't think he's weak for crying.

To me it's his desperate need to be counted among some pantheon of Survivor greats, and how that looked in combination with his actual skills, that make him come off as pathetic. Simple human suffering did not. Not in the least. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

He hasn't done his brand much good, has he. Never read his blog, but you'd have to have the hide of a buffalo to not be embarrassed by the edit he got. He did not strike me as much of a Survivor expert the way he played. I'll be interested to see how he spins it and/or takes it in his stride in the reunion show.

• Love 1

The only thing that bothers me about Stephen is his constant need to make everything epic. On his ponderosa video when talking about how they would never make a cast like this. I was wondering what cast he's seen that hasn't had a blend of alphas, underdogs, strategists and wildcards.

• Love 4

The only thing that bothers me about Stephen is his constant need to make everything epic. 

He hasn't done his brand much good, has he. Never read his blog, but you'd have to have the hide of a buffalo to not be embarrassed by the edit he got. He did not strike me as much of a Survivor expert the way he played. I'll be interested to see how he spins it and/or takes it in his stride in the reunion show.

Yup. Although I think his biggest buzzword is probably"historic" rather than "epic".  Whichever word is used I think you can tell that it's more than just reinforcing some branding with him (for monetary gain, I mean) but rather that he's defining himself as a human being around this show and with himself being a vital piece of it. 

• Love 3

I'm most happy that his advantage failed, and that he was so arrogant leading up to its failure.  I don't think he would have ever let anyone hear the end of it if his plan succeeded and  Joe's vote for himself sealed his fate.  Of course, he said in his final words he thought everyone was on board voting Joe out, so why would that have been such a good move?  Tyson and JT inadvertently voting themselves out of the game by their own dumb moves was way better and much better executed.  He was really oblivious going into that TC.  Considering he only survived the previous TC thanks to an idol play, a real expert might have read the room a little better and not just assumed everyone would be on board to get rid of his rival (in his little spiel when voting Joe off, you would think Joe had made his life miserable in the game-and not just for his imagined reasons that he was like JT and automatically a threat).  In his Ponderosa vid, when he mentioned that TPTB wouldn't have put together a cast like the ones the fans did (which, he's probably right) I had a feeling he was saying they would never have selected him on their own.  So I think his need to cement himself as some sort of Survivor great, on top of his obsession with Joe, toppled his game before it started.  Even without Joe or any JT 2.0, I believe he was destined to fail.  

Actually, didn't Stephen joke that he wanted JT for the loved ones visit?  If JT came on for the visit with Joe still there, all they would need is another young, buff, alpha and they could call it Stephen's 3 spirits of Survivors past/present/future.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

I do wish JT had been Stephen's loved one had Stephen made it that far (since I guess he and Courtney broke up--of course she would be the best choice).  I think that would have been great.  Not only because I like JT, but I'm imagining the scene had they won reward together (if it was one of those Survivor/loved-one teamup challenges, they'd have a good shot!), JT giving Stephen encouragement and reassurance, maybe it could have helped dispel some of these demons and gotten Stephen's act together a little.  I just really liked those two together, and it could have been really sweet.  (I'm like totally writing fanfiction right now, haha)

• Love 4

Hopefully, Stephen will tell us who is loved one visitor would have been in his exit interviews. I have always liked Stephen on RHAP and knew he was smart & sort if geaky. What I didn't know was how socially awkward he is. That said, he looked great in his buffed up state. You can tell he worked out hard for it. It's too be he was so obsessed with Joe & that the advantage didn't work out. Both he & Dan were voted out using it. It will be interesting to see it used & played successfully someday.

• Love 1

Fishbach was crying over being out in the rain with diarrhea. He wasn't just teary-eyed, he was braying like a spoiled little donkey.

Dealing with the runs when you have access to an effectively unlimited supply of nutritious food and clean water (as well as the ability to wash your hands) is completely different from doing it when you don't. The rain kept the players from being able to get food and boil their water to ensure it was safe to drink. This means that Stephen was likely dehydrated and not getting many nutrients from whatever food he was able to eat, which would make him physically weak and miserable. And that's ignoring all the stuff with his foot, which I'm sure was exacerbated by the diarrhea—having to make repeated trips out in the rain, plus being dehydrated would mess with his body's ability to heal.

Since you quoted my earlier post, I assume you read it.

I did read it, but I reject the thesis that crying is a display of weakness and even if I didn't, I wouldn't understand the criteria for weak crying versus acceptable crying. Is it a matter of the volume of tears or the amount of sobbing? Is it only acceptable to cry if it's because you miss your family? I just don't see how crying because you're dealing with an immersion foot syndrome and diarrhea (a combination of ailments that the other players don't seem to have) is somehow less acceptable than crying over missing people you've agreed be away from for nearly six weeks (which all of the players have to do).

As for Stephen's game more generally, I liked him in Tocantins, but I think he overcorrected his perceived mistakes this time around. The first time he played, no one—except JT, Taj, and maybe Erinn—had any idea that he was doing anything out there. So this time, he wanted to make visible moves. Last time, he he teamed up with a young, charismatic guy who went on a late immunity run (though I suspect JT was able to do this because the other immunity threat that season got voted out as soon as possible after the merge). This time, he was determined to get that guy out early. These took his focus away from winning the game that was in front of him. It seemed to blind him to the major threat that Jeremy would have posed to him (and everyone else) later on and put a target on his back before he was even able to achieve his short-sighted aim.

I think Stephen should have recognized that there was little danger that he wouldn't have gotten credit for being strategic this time. I also think he should have relaxed about Joe. In Tocantins, he and his allies were able to sell Tyson's ouster as soon as Tyson lost the third immunity after the merge. I'm sure he would have been able to do the same with Joe this time. Targeting Joe before he was actually vulnerable to be voted out merely ensured that all anyone had to do to get Joe on their side was to offer a plan to vote Stephen out.

• Love 11

I kind of think the opposite.  He stepped into one of the toughest seasons ever, with maybe the biggest target of all on his head.  He went pretty deep in the game, and easily could have gone a lot further.  He made one big move (even if it wasn't a good move), won a challenge, and lived up to his somewhat nerdy rep. 

Instead his awkwardness hurting his brand, I think it plays into it.  The slightly nutty professor, who did pretty well, in an unorthodox way, in a spectacularly loose, fluid season, with more twists than you see in a bag of pretzels. 

I liked Stephen a lot this season, warts, mistakes and all.  Didn't even know he wrote a blog before this, but I'll be sure to read it from now on. 

• Love 1

I kind of think the opposite.  He stepped into one of the toughest seasons ever, with maybe the biggest target of all on his head.  He went pretty deep in the game, and easily could have gone a lot further.

I honestly think the only person who thought Stephen had "the biggest target" on his back was Stephen himself. And that was a big part of what went wrong with his game.  His ego got so invested in how great he was supposed to be that it caused huge levels of paranoia, which made him even more awkward and his social game even worse.

As for how far he went? I suspect you won't agree, but it's been my belief that he got as far as he did because he became a Goat. Even Stephen himself eventually realized that this was possible in his musings a few episodes ago. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

I also reject the premise that crying of any sort is weak. There have been three players now "known" for their crying. One I've liked (Lisa), and two I did not (Dawn and Stephen). Someone described Dawn's crying as manipulative and I agree. Lisa's crying may have annoyed some but I identified with her internal struggle, so I got it. I am torn on Stephen's crying - crying in the last episode because of the elements, his painful feet and his gastrointestinal distress I understand completely. His whining and crying when people didn't agree with him about Joe, I did not like.

However, I see none of these players as "weak" because they cried. I am a crier and I refuse to raise my daughter to believe that crying of any kind is wrong or "weak". I still agree with "Free to Be You and Me"'s premise that "it's alright to cry. Crying gets the sad out of you. It's alright to cry. It might make you feel better."

So yes, I might disagree with their reasons to cry but I don't think it's wrong or weak that they do it.

• Love 7

I honestly think the only person who thought Stephen had "the biggest target" on his back was Stephen himself. And that was a big part of what went wrong with his game.  His ego got so invested in how great he was supposed to be that it caused huge levels of paranoia, which made him even more awkward and his social game even worse.

As for how far he went? I suspect you won't agree, but it's been my belief that he got as far as he did because he became a Goat. Even Stephen himself eventually realized that this was possible in his musings a few episodes ago. 

People made surveys of who was the most targeted in preseason interviews. Fish absolutely was one of the biggest targets, along with Kass. 

People made surveys of who was the most targeted in preseason interviews. Fish absolutely was one of the biggest targets, along with Kass. 

If they did, I think that was reevaluated within days. Stephen was so OBVIOUS in his freakouts and paranoia at that point there's no way most of them were taking him very seriously anymore.

• Love 2

I kind of think the opposite. He stepped into one of the toughest seasons ever, with maybe the biggest target of all on his head. He went pretty deep in the game, and easily could have gone a lot further. He made one big move (even if it wasn't a good move), won a challenge, and lived up to his somewhat nerdy rep.

Instead his awkwardness hurting his brand, I think it plays into it. The slightly nutty professor, who did pretty well, in an unorthodox way, in a spectacularly loose, fluid season, with more twists than you see in a bag of pretzels.

I liked Stephen a lot this season, warts, mistakes and all. Didn't even know he wrote a blog before this, but I'll be sure to read it from now on.

I don't think Fisbach had a target on his head. I think he PUT a target on his head with a series of foolish moves (obsessing over Joe, going for the advantage in the game, winning the kiss of death individual reward challenge and choosing the ones to join him in about the worst way possible, not splitting the vote when they should have and splitting it when he shouldn't have).

He didn't play the game well at all IMO. Kimmi, Abi and Keith have made it farther than he did without doing squat.

• Love 8

Per exit interviews, while Kass and Stephen entered the game as the biggest targets, the actual biggest targets on Bayon were Monica and Kimmi. Then Bayon kept winning all the tribal challenges. So Stephen got a lot of time to change his fate without having to do anything for it. 

I don't think he played the worst because at least he played (looking at you, Kimmi!), but he made a number of avoidable mistakes. The monomaniacal focus on Joe was a mistake. Not thinking about targeting Jeremy was a mistake. Flipping on his alliance just to get out Wigles without having a clear plan for what came next was a mistake. Announcing his alliance with Tasha was definitely a mistake.

• Love 7

If they did, I think that was reevaluated within days. Stephen was so OBVIOUS in his freakouts and paranoia at that point there's no way most of them were taking him very seriously anymore.

I doubt they re-evaluated since he AND Kass now out of the game. 

Can I just say how disappointed I am that America did not vote Shane onto this season?  He tweeted this about Stephen, and claims he's poking fun at the characters of Survivor (not the actual people).  But it turned into a back and forth between him and Stephen, with Stephen being offended.  He can dish it out but he sure can't take it.  Hopefully he gets called out on any flack he tries throwing at future contestants (also, it seemed to start over him calling Spencer out over them being friends but only meeting once so not really being friends; I don't know if Stephen is trying to make Spencer look bad or like he betrayed some sacred friendship or what).  Anyway, here's this gem from Shane:

Shane Powers ‏@Theshanepowers  4h4 hours ago
You know if you got it with someone or you don't. @stephenfishbach whole identity is being "professional Survivor". His ego is hurt.
Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I was disappointed that Shane wasnt voted in but that's not much of a gem. More like a desperate attempt to butt in on a twitter conversation and draw attention to himself. The more I see his tweets (I dont follow him but see him try to get attn all the time but butting in like this), the more I think America got it right for once.

• Love 1

I'm actually going to defend Fishbach in this one. I don't think he was calling out Spencer negatively at all. He just explained that he trusted Spencer at the time of the Joe vote, and he was wrong. He also explained that he thought he and Spencer were friends, but in a matter of fact way. He didn't imply in any way that Spencer was a bad person for blindsiding him.

I don't think Fishbach was a great Survivor player at all, but he's seemed fairly classy in how he talks about the other players other than Monica. Heck, he's even said nice things about Savage.

• Love 1

I don't think Fisbach had a target on his head. I think he PUT a target on his head with a series of foolish moves (obsessing over Joe, going for the advantage in the game, winning the kiss of death individual reward challenge and choosing the ones to join him in about the worst way possible, not splitting the vote when they should have and splitting it when he shouldn't have).

He didn't play the game well at all IMO. Kimmi, Abi and Keith have made it farther than he did without doing squat.

And again I think we have to return to the idea that how far you get on the show is certainly not inherently a reliable gauge of how good you are at it. Or rather it might be in one direction (if you got voted off early SOME mistake got made, even if it was one not totally in your hands). But Goats stay, and that's why Stephen did--until Joe managed to get enough people paranoid about Stephen's so-called "advantage".  And if Abi gets to the end would we really make an argument it's because she played so well? I doubt it. She's just the OTHER Goat in the game besides him (the more overt one).

• Love 1

I was disappointed that Shane wasnt voted in but that's not much of a gem. More like a desperate attempt to butt in on a twitter conversation and draw attention to himself. The more I see his tweets (I dont follow him but see him try to get attn all the time but butting in like this), the more I think America got it right for once.

I think the Shane level crazy would have been fun to watch. He plays it up ur I also believe that is part of who he is. I don't want that kind of crazy like the guy in Samoa who had serial killer traits (Ben I think?). But Shane would add some flavor to the vanilla that we have. It's why I'm happy Abi is back to form and that I wish Kas was still in the game.

I appreciate that Stephen at least seems to recognize his boot was his own doing. To me, he had a vision similar to Shirin, yet at least he's not saying its stupid people that he was stuck with and that was the only reason he got booted. Of course he has Eliza to do that for him, judging from her twitter. I think she took his boot harder than he did.

He just explained that he trusted Spencer at the time of the Joe vote, and he was wrong.

That was just silly. Spencer voted against him in the previous vote. What was he expecting? 

A lot of people say his joe obsession did him in but I think it was his hubris. Why in the hell would you tell people that you was trying to fix your relationship with Tasha at the reward challenge?

I actually looking forward to seeing/hearing his interviews later today. Hopefully he gives real answers

• Love 3

Interesting that he didn't take his advantage to the tribal where Jeremy had to use his idol on him because (i) he buried it too far away and didn't want to be conspicuous going to get it (and his feet hurt, sigh) and (ii) didn't fully figure out he was in trouble until they were on the way to tribal.  Had he done so and used it, it would have been the perfect play. Another lesson in the 'always take your idol/advantage to tribal' series, with the sub-lesson of keeping your hidden things close enough to grab before tribal. 

• Love 1

That's what he says in his People blog linked above.  I do, however, question it a bit that he knew he was dead as they sat down at tribal, because I recall him looking shocked at all the votes coming his way.  Perhaps a bit of revisionist history here?

• Love 7