Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Fanfiction

• Start Topic

I think the problem with prescriptive rules such as this is that, when done judiciously, each of those no-nos is okay and can contribute to a writer's style. The opposite side of the coin (cliche alert!) (parenthetical alert!) is that there are writers who don't know how to break the rules with style.

There have been published writers whose work I cannot read because it is so clunky. Sometimes that can be made up by a damn good plot. But when a voracious reader like me tosses a book aside after getting forty pages in, I'd say it probably is very poorly written.

Am I the only person that took that post to be totally tongue in cheek and was kind of mocking writing rules?

Nope, not just you.  I don't write (and the world should be greatful for that) but I do know that writing to the rules would result in uninteresting and stilted writing.  But then, I like Zelazny so....... ;D

• Love 2

Oh, no, you're not the only one. But there are so many people in the world to whom the rules are the be-all and end-all. I get flashbacks to grammar class in high school...

(Yes, I am old enough to have had grammar class. It sucked. But I do vaguely remember how to diagram a sentence.)

Oh, yeah, and while my daughter was still in the "I'll show you everything about school" phase, she was bringing home worksheets that emphasized those rules. Ugh.

• Love 1

Nope, not just you.  I don't write (and the world should be greatful for that) but I do know that writing to the rules would result in uninteresting and stilted writing.  But then, I like Zelazny so....... ;D

It was tongue in cheek...but oh my GOD Altered Reality!! Zelazny!! I thought I was the only one! I'm so glad you posted!! I have so much Amber stuff it's just sick!

The more time I spend here, the more I believe I've run across the coolest bunch on earth!

• Love 2

It was tongue in cheek...but oh my GOD Altered Reality!! Zelazny!! I thought I was the only one! I'm so glad you posted!! I have so much Amber stuff it's just sick!

The more time I spend here, the more I believe I've run across the coolest bunch on earth!

Heh, he is an aquired taste, no?  Oh and I have corrupted the next generation as well.  My youngest just finished a re-read of Amber. 

Coolest or dorkiest?  Not sure ;D

"Doorways In the Sand"...featuring a professional student who park ours around campus and is caught up in a wild alien conspiracy. And "Lords of Light and Darkness", very cool book.

"Doorways In the Sand"...featuring a professional student who park ours around campus and is caught up in a wild alien conspiracy. And "Lords of Light and Darkness", very cool book.

Like both of those (as well as Amber of course) but I love "Roadmarks" and wish he'd done more in that universe.  Of course if he did and I've managed to overlook it, please let me know!

• Love 1

When I started writing several of the rules were thrown at me.  Don't do one word sentences, don't use contractions, don't be passive.  Show don't tell.

Not being a writer and failing grammar, hence the reason I teach Drama, I took most advice seriously.  But Drama people break rules, period.

Example never have your back to the audience, unless there is a real reason for it. 

So I skimmed the list and made my response because well many of those list were thrown at me.  I still love run on sentences.

I'm afraid I know nothing about this Amber stuff.  :(

I'm afraid I know nothing about this Amber stuff.  :(

This is sad.  Head on down to your local bookstore or library, find the scifi/fantasy section, look for the author Roger Zelazny, secure a copy of "Nine Princes in Amber".  Enjoy.  Repeat with remaining 9 books in the Chronicles of Amber series.

• Love 1

When I can walk better, I will.  Maybe the half price book store.  Darn feet problems...:P

:( for the feets.  Feet problems suck the big one.  I'm sorta mad at my Dad for the ones I inherited from him.  The ones caused by assorted falls, tumbles and twists I have no one to blame but myself (oh and a cat on stairs, but she's been gone a long time and I've forgiven her).

That said, do get the book, it's worth it.

• Love 2
(edited)

When I can walk better, I will.  Maybe the half price book store.  Darn feet problems...:P

Ah 7kstar, feet problems suck! With me it's my knees. (Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone! I screwed mine with a life time of falling off my horses.) But I agree with Altered Reality, if you snag a copy of "Nine Princes in Amber" you'll be hooked! I see copies at used bookstores and book sales all the time.

Edited by Mick Lady
(edited)

Ah 7kstar, feet problems suck! With me it's my knees. (Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone! I screwed mine with a life time of falling off my horses.) But I agree with Altered Reality, if you snag a copy of "Nine Princes in Amber" you'll be hooked! I see copies at used bookstores and book sales all the time.

Already know about knee.  I have a tear on my foot and knee issues and back issues most likely from falling off a light tree over 20 years ago.  I guess the one miracle was I was told my ankle would never heal, it did.  Of course they know more than they knew 20 years ago. 

For those that don't know, a light tree is the bar that holds the stage lights, so yes I was up high.  But not higher than my height. When I landed I couldn't move but luckily it was a brief form of that.  Hence the reason some of my parents of my students call me Drama Queen.  I have many stories and someday I might write them into a play.  It's why I started writing fanfiction, I know I can tell a good story, but can I write it?

I also understand some of the obstacles of learning issues because sometimes I really get frustrated when I can't find the word I have in my head.  Without word and google, I doubt I would write much.  So if I sound whiny, sorry, just trying to explain why I doubt myself so much.

If I'm really evil, I would write a story where Dean has to deal with all of this.  It could actually work, since his personality is the type that is really good at hiding learning issues.  I know I was.

I've read all kinds of sci fi & Fantasy so I'll put it on my list.

ETA:  wrote too fast and forgot words...it's clearer I hope.  Hopefully not too teachy too.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

Do you want to write a play about being a Drama teacher? That I would love to read! I don't recall anything like that being in print, and I believe it would be very cool! I think your writing is just wonderful, you just need some more self confidence! Start trusting yourself!

• Love 1
(edited)

Like both of those (as well as Amber of course) but I love "Roadmarks" and wish he'd done more in that universe.  Of course if he did and I've managed to overlook it, please let me know!

Just the other day I was checking out our local used book shop, and stumbled on an "Amber" novel written by some other author who picked up the series. I read a few pages and put it back, it was horrible! Didn't capture the voice of Roger at all. I was pissed someone even tried! I don't think there are any more "Roadmarks" novels, I'll double check for you though. We lost him way too young!

By the way, several years ago one of my brothers gave me a book called  "The Illustrated Castle Of Amber" and a deck of Amber "Cards" for Christmas. I have never seen them sold anywhere! He got them at "The Strand" in NYC.

I have some very cool brothers!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

Do you want to write a play about being a Drama teacher? That I would love to read! I don't recall anything like that being in print, and I believe it would be very cool! I think your writing is just wonderful, you just need some more self confidence! Start trusting yourself!

Hey, I've got way more confidence than when I started.  lol

I have an idea about being a drama teacher and even started working it with the kids, just to see if anyone would like it.  I also have one about when I got robbed working at the Bank.  Only was involved in 3 out of the 5.  NO, I didn't rob them, they robbed us.  lol

It got so bad that the FBI guys just said "hey you know the drill."

Okay question.  One thing I struggle with is describing faces, without sounding like everyone else.

Ex. twinkling eyes.  When I look at the faces I really go blank on how to describe them especially if I created a new character.  I guess that's why I keep thinking plays, because the description can be open to whoever the casting director wants. 

Any suggestions?

I sketch the face with words, but don't go into details. The details come later, in bits and pieces, in snatches of conversation or while describing reactions. That's partly because I'm not good at describing faces, partly because I think the character inside makes the face, partly because I think stopping to describe someone in detail (unless part of the point of the character is that this person is physically striking) kind of stops the flow of the story.

"Twinkling eyes"...well. Let's see. There's:

Sparkling eyes

Smiling eyes

Dancing eyes

Eyes filled with laughter

Or, you focus the "sparkling" on other parts of the face:

She had crinkles at the corners of her eyes and mouth, as if she were always laughing/smiling...

Whenever you looked at him, his lips would twitch up in a smile, like he was inviting you to laugh at the universe with him...

Focus on more than the eyes. Is the face round or long? Big nose, cute small button nose? Deep eye sockets? High forehead? Cheekbones that jut out, or look like the Mona Lisa's? Thick, kissable lips or thick, sloppy lips that make you shudder? Thin lips that always smile, or thin lips that rarely move? Long hair falling over the forehead and needing to be swept back all the time (we know who this is, right?), or long hair parted in the middle and slicked back? Short hair like baby Justin Bieber, or short hair like a military buzz cut? Is it white blond, dirty blond, brown with blond highlights? Is the skin pale white with freckles, or soft brown like suede? Is the skin clear, does the person have a smattering of pimples, full-blown acne, or a face full of acne scars from his youth?

Blah blah blah...dunno if this helps. ;-)

A little, I just have a hard thinking about a fresh way without it sounding like I stole what some else did.

Most of the time I don't describe but I'll think about it and see if I can figure it out.  :)

Hope everything is okay! I know you've had a few blows lately, and can understand you prioritizing your life and I hope you're taking care of yourself. Maybe in a few weeks you'll be inspired again, or so we can hope! 

I lost inspiration :(. Too many other life things blocking.  I should just retire now with that one good thing.

catrox, have you learned NOTHING from Supernatural? You can't quit while you're ahead! :P

Though seriously, I do hope that things are going OK :)

• Love 1

Reading this thread, I remembered something a student gave me.

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides
gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a
guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of
those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country
speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar
eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes
just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot, three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated
because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a
surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a
bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag
filled with vegetable soup.

11. >From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an
eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city
and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p. m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when
you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across
the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having
left Cleveland at 6:36 p. m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from
Topeka at 4:19 p. m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences
that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who
had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was
the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap,
only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil,
this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not
eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either,
but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land
mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender
leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around
with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells,
as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

• Love 5

Just caught up on 7kstar's fics - those were great.  I especially like how all Dean's inner sentence-long thoughts turned into a 3 word note.  So Dean.

I'm hoping to get to AwesomeO's soon.

• Love 1
(edited)

The 2014 winners of the Edward Bulwer-Lytton contest:

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2014win.html

I want to learn more about the car-sized cicadas, personally.

I had forgotten all about this contest, and now I've been sitting here laughing so hard tears are streaming down my face! Thank you Omegamom , you've made my night!

I remember years ago a line about Basil and a woman filing her nails. I'm off to find it!

Edit to add; God I'm fucking old! It won the contest in 1983!

The camel died quite suddenly on the second day, and Selena fretted sulkily and, buffing her already impeccable nails–not for the first time since the journey began–pondered snidely if this would dissolve into a vignette of minor inconveniences like all the other holidays spent with Basil. (Gail Cain, CA, 1983 Grand Prize winner of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest)

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

RIGHT??? That was really well done

So my friend that started watch SPN.....well we went to a baseball game together yesterday and then we watched up through Simon Said.  HEE.   When she left she was like "Okay so we left off on which episode..?'.

• Love 1

Would any one want to make an ms paint or photoshop of fandom standing like a shield between Jody Mills and season 11 supernatural writers!  She is the last remaining strong female character!  I lack the talent to do it myself.

Would any one want to make an ms paint or photoshop of fandom standing like a shield between Jody Mills and season 11 supernatural writers!  She is the last remaining strong female character!  I lack the talent to do it myself.

Donna, Rowena, and Claire would like a word :)

Mick Lady: You must have some crazy instincts, because guess what? New chapter up for you. Next time you go by, I promise there's a nice long chapter waiting for you. I really was going to post it before going on my vacation, but I wanted to add one more scene, and I just ran out of time.

I hope you enjoy.

• Love 2

Awesom, I'm going there now! I couldn't get to it last night, Mick and I ordered pizza and settled in to watch "Sharknado III, Oh Hell No!" I know, I know, but it was so stupid and silly we laughed like hell and had a great time! We're weird like that.

I decided to start from chapter one of your story and read it all straight through. That's what I did last time you posted a new chapter, and I loved reading it that way!

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay finally got the Letter E done.  Trying for humor and hopefully it will cheer some of you up with all the craziness going on right now.

Hope you like it.  If you haven't read the other 2 chapters, you most likely will need too, to have it make sense.  It's a short fic, though.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  :)

Eerie Night

Omegamom hope it gives you a short distraction from the scary stuff you've been dealing with.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

I loved it, 7kstar! I like that you got Cliff in there, too. :-)

Not as upset anymore. But Rick reacted just like I thought he would, he says his first thought was, "Load the girl and her stuff back up and motor the hell back home, NOW!" (Our home, not theirs...) Which, actually, was my first thought, too. Just sucks. Our country is seriously dysfunctional about some things...

• Love 2
MickLady, summary: my 13-yo girl is on her first long trip away from us to visit family in Lafayette, LA. The shooting there freaked me and DH out. A few more details in the Impala thread.