Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Loyalty In The Lie

WendyCR72

Six months after the events of last season, Booth, Brennan, daughter Christine and the new baby are seemingly living a dream life, a world away from the murder-filled life they left behind. But a case with close personal ties to the couple forces Brennan to become involved in the forensic analysis of the remains, and Booth mysteriously goes missing, prompting an FBI investigation into his whereabouts led by Agent Grace Miller, who works closely with FBI Agent James Aubrey on the case. However, tensions rise when Miller tries to investigate one of the team’s own as the primary suspect. The case also brings Brennan into contact with a member of Booth’s family , and “squintern” Arastoo Vaziri, who has been filling in as lead forensic anthropologist during Brennan’s absence, hopes the temporary position becomes permanent.

Seems like a pretty convoluted plot, but I guess I can give them a pass since they were pushed into it by DB's health scare - I think it was an adverse reaction to a medication.

I really liked Brennan in this episode though, which isn't something I usually find myself thinking.

Seems like a pretty convoluted plot, but I guess I can give them a pass since they were pushed into it by DB's health scare - I think it was an adverse reaction to a medication.

I really liked Brennan in this episode though, which isn't something I usually find myself thinking.

Hi! The episode airs here tomorrow, so I'm assuming you got hold of it early or maybe live in Canada?

Either way, at least it sounds like it won't be too awful.  :-)

• Love 1

Hi! The episode airs here tomorrow, so I'm assuming you got hold of it early or maybe live in Canada?

Either way, at least it sounds like it won't be too awful.  :-)

Oh, I had no idea. Yeah, I live in Canada and it aired last night - I didn't realize it hadn't aired in the US yet. Hopefully my post wasn't too spoilery!

Is that going to be an ongoing thing this season, where it airs in Canada a day before airing in the US?

Oh, I had no idea. Yeah, I live in Canada and it aired last night - I didn't realize it hadn't aired in the US yet. Hopefully my post wasn't too spoilery!

Is that going to be an ongoing thing this season, where it airs in Canada a day before airing in the US?

I'm guessing that would be yes!

My suggestion going forward is, if you do want to comment after you watch, feel free, but just put it in spoiler tags a la [.spoiler.] Blah, blah [./spoiler]  (Just remove the periods!) I can (or you can!) remove the tags after 9 p.m. ET on Thursday nights or whatever.  :-)

Well that didn't suck.

Brennan seemed a little less like a histronic robot.  Loved Hank.  Loved the flashbacks.

I missed Booth but I get why.

Only part I disliked was Cam/Arastoo but that's because I don't like them.

Every year this show starts and every year Cam is thinner. I do love Arastoo (because hotness) and love how Hodgins is always busting in on things on accident.

No mention of the kids while Brennan barged in to work the case? Although I suppose they just let smarty-pants Christine babysit.

I thought Jared-actor's new show was cancelled? Bummer he got knocked off. And I don't think that was the same Padme because the first one was drop-dead gorgeous and this one was pretty.

From what I have read, the show is now under new show runners. They certainly started off with a bang, no pun intended.

As annoying as it got to not ever have Jared around again, I'm glad the show has seen fit to give the character an ending, even if it isn't a happy one.

Baby Hank was cute as was Christine. (I'm glad the baby was named for Pops, but I wish the show also addressed Ralph Waite's passing. So, basically, Booth is the only Booth left in his immediate family.) And Brennan did seem less robotic and the times she did get pissy, I got why. So it worked for me.

Didn't think much of Grace Miller and not just because she is stuck on Booth as a criminal; I have just never particularly been a fan of Kim Raver's.

And it was good to see the rest of the gang (including Caroline). But Cam and Arastoo's romance still bores me silly.

• Love 3

Nice episode, it would have been a great episode if only that Miller character was decent. I don't know about everybody else but I hated her, she may suspect Booth of something and it's her job to pursue that and question people, but she could have used some tact and compassion. When Brennan looks like the reasonable, tactful, and sociable one of the two of you you've got godawful people skills.

I don't think anybody in the world bought Booth being dead for a minute so I'm glad they didn't waste much time on it. Arastoo has some major self confidence issues, the fact that he didn't find a nearly imperceptible difference in bones that were near identical and nearly destroyed was insane. Come on pal, you would have found both of those things sooner or later and besides, Brennan just waltzed in continuing off of YOUR work and thus knew what NOT to look at already.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3

So it's not just me.

So Miller's partner is missing too. Does that mean he's one of the bad guys holed up with Booth?

At first I thought maybe Miller was in on it all, but now I'm not sure.

• Love 2

Cam gets thinner and her hair style gets worse every year. It is ok pulled back but when she wears it down she looks absurd.

I don't dislike her character, though....I just don't like her with Arastoo because I have never liked him.  And um, yes, you can't hire your boyfriend/fiancee and then ever preach to anyone about professionalism again.

I enjoyed the tiny family scene at the beginning, and Bones burning Arastoo's work. hahaha 

Keeping my fingers crossed that this good beginning continues....

• Love 2

Nice episode, it would have been a great episode if only that Miller character was decent. I don't know about everybody else but I hated her, she may suspect Booth of something and it's her job to pursue that and question people, but she could have used some tact and compassion. When Brennan looks like the reasonable, tactful, and sociable one of the two of you you've got godawful people skills.

I'm tired of the TV trope that Internal Affairs cops/agents are always snide and have nothing better to do than try to pin things on innocent cops/agents.  IA is a really important function because law enforcement officers have a lot of power over their fellow citizens and that kind of power needs checks and balances.   Yet I don't think I've ever seen a responsibly handled IA investigation on TV.  The investigators are either corrupt or blindly ignorant and apparently the LEOs would rather have 100 dirty cops abusing power than cooperate with IA.

Didn't Booth's NSA job offer get shown again at the beginning of the episode?  I'm thinking he's on a deep undercover job.  How Jared fits in to that, I don't know. 

• Love 1

That may have been the best Bones episode in four years.

I hate the blonde FBI agent, but I'm supposed ot hate her. Just hope she goes away when this little arc is finished.

New showrunners? That gives me hope. Maybe the show won't suck anymore!

• Love 1

Just, please let them not try to keep Kim Raver for more than the strictly necessary five episodes. I'm thrilled that the original team is finally gone, and cautiously optimistic about the reboot, and I'm willing to cut them some slack since they were thrown a massive curveball, but humanizing the tough leading lady by giving the audience a nad-busting woman to hate is beyond lame. I want tough, functional Brennan back, but not that way. I think Bones has wasted enough of our time and its own audience trying to make annoying characters happen.

• Love 1

I don't like Kim Raver - in anything so I hope she's gone soon.

What I don't get is everyone's reaction - or, should I say "non-reaction" when they all thought it was Booth.  What a cold bunch - yes, I know they care but there wasn't even the smallest bit of true emotion seeping through from anyone about him being dead (when they all believe it was him).  It's so weird.  

If my colleagues believed one of us was dead, there would be some actual response to that fact other than the cold, clipped responses the team were spouting - even before Bones showed up.

And, yes, I know I don't routinely look at bones, etc - to me, it doesn't matter if this is their job or not.  Emotional responses to a friend's death doesn't mean it will hamper you from doing your job.

But, the idea that the wife of a victim would be allowed to do what Bones did is patently absurd, even if turned out not to be Booth.  But, hey, that's TV, I guess.

This show really is hanging by a thread, new team or not (to me) - but, if they can tone down even more Bones' robotic style of communicating, even better.  This was a start - I do hope they will reduce it even more.  Maybe even infuse her with early Bones' style of talking - Gasp! What a concept.  

So - the original show runners walked away from the show?  

• Love 2

So - the original show runners walked away from the show?  

Well, they announced that the remaining original showrunner was going when they announced the much-delayed renewal, so there were some theories.

I thought Jared-actor's new show was cancelled? Bummer he got knocked off. And I don't think that was the same Padme because the first one was drop-dead gorgeous and this one was pretty.

Nah, The Night Shift got renewed. I'm sure I read somewhere it's the same Padme.

On an aesthetic note, I noticed in some pics that Emily Deschanel is back to shorter shoulder-length hair versus the long hair she had been sporting for a while. It looked good on her and made her look a bit fresher and younger.

• Love 3
Cam gets thinner and her hair style gets worse every year. It is ok pulled back but when she wears it down she looks absurd.

Didn't she have short hair way back when she first came on the show?  I liked that style better than the long lanky look.

I'm trying to figure out the timeline.  I was going to say that Brennan had just found out that she was pregnant during the last episode, but they said that only six months had passed.  I was thinking that Hank was one big baby to be a newborn.  But, wasn't there some plot about others saying that she was much farther along than she thought she was?  So, I guess Hank could be that big a baby?  (and he is a cutie)

Caroline:  ...Praying you didn't come home with any holes in you.

Aubrey:  Nope, just the ones I was born with.

Caroline:  That's unseemly, but I'm still talking to you.

(I have to say that Caroline and Aubrey are among my favorite characters).

• Love 2
Didn't she have short hair way back when she first came on the show?

No, Cam had the long(ish) hair when she came on the show as he always wore it up or seemed to. She got the short bob in...I think S6 or 7 and it lasted through S9. She started growing her hair out again last season.

I see Emily Deschanel has shoulder-length hair again and it looks much softer/better on her than the long straight-haired look did.

• Love 1

Didn't she have short hair way back when she first came on the show?  I liked that style better than the long lanky look.

I'm trying to figure out the timeline.  I was going to say that Brennan had just found out that she was pregnant during the last episode, but they said that only six months had passed.  I was thinking that Hank was one big baby to be a newborn.  But, wasn't there some plot about others saying that she was much farther along than she thought she was?  So, I guess Hank could be that big a baby?  (and he is a cutie)

They also made a point, in that episode, that she was alot further along than she thought, more like 6 months, rather than the 2 or 3 she thought she was.  Angela was the one that kept pointing it out.

I'm tired of the TV trope that Internal Affairs cops/agents are always snide and have nothing better to do than try to pin things on innocent cops/agents.  IA is a really important function because law enforcement officers have a lot of power over their fellow citizens and that kind of power needs checks and balances.   Yet I don't think I've ever seen a responsibly handled IA investigation on TV.  The investigators are either corrupt or blindly ignorant and apparently the LEOs would rather have 100 dirty cops abusing power than cooperate with IA.

I agree. Oversight is an essential check and balance to ensure the safety of both the public and the police.

There was a short lived show called "Against the Wall" about a woman from a family of cops who took a job in IA as a way of advancement. It was, in my opinion, pretty well done. But I guess IA is a tough sell.  I'm not sure it went a full season. It's on Amazon, if you're interested.

Given that Raver's character is quick to blame Booth - and jumps to that conclusion with each and every new piece of evidence she, and doesn't want to hear any evidence that might actually get them some real insight (like trying to shut Angela down when they were identifying the likely place the attack occurred), I'm thinking either she's actually the dirty cop, or that she's afraid her partner is.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

I actually like Cam and Arastoo - but hiring him as her subordinate - nuh uh. That is just bad all around.

Given the nature of the show, I didn't mind Brennen working on the bones - as they'd already let Sweet's wife(girlfriend?) do the same. Still, in the real world. nuh uh.

I thought it was hysterical that the baby was actually pretty upset, but they dubbed in laughter. I thought so from his body language before they turned around and we could see his face was scrunched into unhappy.

• Love 1

Caroline:  ...Praying you didn't come home with any holes in you.

Aubrey:  Nope, just the ones I was born with.

Caroline:  That's unseemly, but I'm still talking to you.

(I have to say that Caroline and Aubrey are among my favorite characters).

Yes, and bits like this made me think that the show might actually be better if Booth and Brennan had moved away and only showed up occasionally as guest stars.
  • Love 1

I'd much prefer that Clarke had taken over and Arastoo took his place so he was out of direct contact with Camille. I know he would still work for her but he wouldn't be involved in FBI cases except to lend occasional help.

Unlike that other show that broke up their main couple, I don't hate this. So that's good.

• Love 1

From what I have read, the show is now under new show runners. They certainly started off with a bang, no pun intended.

As annoying as it got to not ever have Jared around again, I'm glad the show has seen fit to give the character an ending, even if it isn't a happy one.

Baby Hank was cute as was Christine. (I'm glad the baby was named for Pops, but I wish the show also addressed Ralph Waite's passing. So, basically, Booth is the only Booth left in his immediate family.) And Brennan did seem less robotic and the times she did get pissy, I got why. So it worked for me.

Didn't think much of Grace Miller and not just because she is stuck on Booth as a criminal; I have just never particularly been a fan of Kim Raver's.

And it was good to see the rest of the gang (including Caroline). But Cam and Arastoo's romance still bores me silly.

I feel the same about Kim Raver, so it works for me when she plays an irritating person. 

Yeah, but this is Bones. I'm afraid they're going to fall in love with her and then the character will be popping up at random intervals to announce that she's been reviewing Bush's MMPI score and she's got him dead to rights on the murder of Archduke Ferdinand on the grounds of prenatal bad attitude.

• Love 1

I like that the Arastoo character is leaving. There never seemed any appropriate scenarios for character development. Although, Cam does deserve some serious 'forever' love interest. But, not Aristoo, and not in the forefront of the storyline.

Cam looks fine. At least she refreshes her 'look' fairly every season.

I thought the opening episode(s) to be underwhelming in both plot and acting.

**I realize that I may be in the minority per my following comments but...I enjoyed the VERY VERY EARLY SEASONS of Bones, AND, also, the season in which they ATTENDED THE FUNERAL and secretly confiscated the body to evaluate. The sleuthing combined with the hilarity and Sweets was fantastic! Frankly, the more recent season(s) has(have) been bland and weak.

Hopefully, the current season proves to be better written, produced, and, acted.

~

Edited by BookElitist